BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-04-16 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2797653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
eca712 - 2010-04-16 10:08 PM 

Haha aw thanks for the offer- I'm going to just hold on to them. I've been using them for training, so they're not totally going to waste. But... if you buy tri shorts and a top, I'd recommend trying them on in person. Sizes vary so much.

Sounds good!
And yeah, when it comes to racing stuff, I *need* to try it on. Training stuff can be haphazard and not perfect fitting...  

2010-04-17 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2797844

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
Ran ten miles, hit the ice bath and then had a 90 minute massage.  Great way to start a Saturday!

I am not sure if all of you know, but your local massage therapy school usually runs a clinic and you can get a massage for a nice discount.  90 minutes cost me $65.  My therapist is running her first tri, teaches palates and  has a master's in kinesology.  She did a great job.  I recommend everyone should look into it.
2010-04-17 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2798324

User image

Veteran
PATiger33 - 2010-04-17 2:27 PM Ran ten miles, hit the ice bath and then had a 90 minute massage.  Great way to start a Saturday!

I am not sure if all of you know, but your local massage therapy school usually runs a clinic and you can get a massage for a nice discount.  90 minutes cost me $65.  My therapist is running her first tri, teaches palates and  has a master's in kinesology.  She did a great job.  I recommend everyone should look into it.

Ooh good for you! I have been DYING for a massage. I know there are tons of clinics in the city. The minute I get my first paycheck this summer... I'm there.

Does anyone use a foam roller for stretching? I'm pretty flexible, but my legs have felt so, so tight this past week. I'm thinking about getting a roller because it seems like I just can't get a deep enough stretch with regular stretches. Any opinions?

[Oh PS I forget who asked, but I never responded: I go to Fordham Law in NYC.]
2010-04-17 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2798764

User image

eca712 - 2010-04-17 5:22 PM
PATiger33 - 2010-04-17 2:27 PM Ran ten miles, hit the ice bath and then had a 90 minute massage.  Great way to start a Saturday!

Ooh good for you! I have been DYING for a massage. I know there are tons of clinics in the city. The minute I get my first paycheck this summer... I'm there.

Does anyone use a foam roller for stretching? I'm pretty flexible, but my legs have felt so, so tight this past week. I'm thinking about getting a roller because it seems like I just can't get a deep enough stretch with regular stretches. Any opinions?

I've never found foam rollers to be of any use for me personally...

I've got friends who swear by them, though!  For me, doing Pilates is helpful, but also taking long hot baths and hopping in the jacuzzi helps ease tired muscles.  The bf swears by icing things down though...I think you have to find what works for you.  I also like the occasional massage as well and shoot for at least an hour, deep tissue style combo'ed with Thai massage.  While this makes you sore the next day ultimately it helps my muscles relax.

Again, I think you have to find what works for you and it may be some trial and error.
2010-04-17 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2770788

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
I liiiiive by ice cold showers/baths. Love them!! 

I've got a half-marathon tomorrow and I am super pumped!! (Although the weather is supposed to be craptastic
2010-04-17 9:01 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Ok  This is my normal Saturday self-test route

Swim- 600 yards in a freezing cold outside pool- water was not package friendly.  Overall a good swim but I think can go faster on race day without the turns

Bike-  Good sprint ride 13 miles with a lot of riding in the aero position.  One part of the ride was 24 MPH and then I turned around could only manage 15 mph so it was a little windy

Run/Walk    3 miles I walked most of the run, first attempt to run was about 10 steps but I slowly worked out my running and finished with about 3/4 of a mile chugging run. 

My watch was dead so I did not get my T-1 & T-2 times included. 

Tomorrow I want to swim in my wet suit. I want to do three good runs prior to racing in two weeks.  I just have to bring my knee along slowly.

Felt good but I guess I was a pretty sight walking/running through the neighborhood with my bright green bike shirt and orange Clemson hat. 

Kevin

Edited by b2673ad 2010-04-17 9:09 PM

2010-04-17 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2798764

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA

Funny that you mention the roller.  I used it for the first time today and thought it was fantastic.  I am ridiculously tight in my pectoris minor, which, in turn, causes my shoulders to overcompensate.  I used the roller after my massage and immediately felt some relief in the pecs.  I am thinking of ordering one.

Fordham.  Really good school.  Upper West Side, right?  My sister and her husband used to live in The Level Club on 72nd and Broadway. Are you a 2L or 3L?
2010-04-17 11:38 PM
in reply to: #2799036

User image

Veteran
PATiger33 - 2010-04-17 11:51 PM

Funny that you mention the roller.  I used it for the first time today and thought it was fantastic.  I am ridiculously tight in my pectoris minor, which, in turn, causes my shoulders to overcompensate.  I used the roller after my massage and immediately felt some relief in the pecs.  I am thinking of ordering one.

Fordham.  Really good school.  Upper West Side, right?  My sister and her husband used to live in The Level Club on 72nd and Broadway. Are you a 2L or 3L?

Haha great coincidence! The rollers aren't too pricey, so I might as well try it out. I've found especially for my calves that massaging them against a banister/countertop/somewhat-firm-and-round-surface gets in there really deep. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks also for the ice bath/warm compress suggestions. Ice baths sound sooo unappealing, but I think I need to start trying more recovery-oriented things like that. I felt super beat up this past week and it's only the beginning!

PATiger33: Yep, Fordham's campus is right by your sister's old place. The neighborhood's pretty, but I'm getting itchy to get out! Too bad I'm only a 2L.
2010-04-17 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2798887

User image

Veteran
krystyna47 - 2010-04-17 9:39 PM I liiiiive by ice cold showers/baths. Love them!! 

I've got a half-marathon tomorrow and I am super pumped!! (Although the weather is supposed to be craptastic

Good luck at your race!
2010-04-18 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2799050

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
I usually sit in the ice bath for about ten minutes.  It really helps.

I rode 90 minutes on the trainer and thought I was going to lose my mind.  I am going to Cadence Cycling tomorrow for my fitting and to figure out what is wrong with my computer.

Off to the Phillies game and then to the library. 
2010-04-18 7:00 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I'm sorry I'm still not really a functioning member of society again... but through my hangover I had to say I hoped everybody's race and weekend went well!

Back tomorrow for real!

2010-04-18 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2800012

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-18 8:00 PM
I'm sorry I'm still not really a functioning member of society again... but through my hangover I had to say I hoped everybody's race and weekend went well!

Back tomorrow for real!

Haha, you take it easy. The real world (and partying) is tough work!! Did you at least taper for it?  
2010-04-18 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Hey all, hope you all had fantastic weekends! 

As for foam rollers, I love mine. I have problems with my IT bands (a lingering injury from overtraining last fall) and the foam roller was the first thing that really helped. It works wonders and it's very wallet friendly.

90 minutes on a trainer is alot, so tough to stay motivated for that long.  Hope the fitting went well you and were able to figure out your computer.

My race this weekend went better than expected. Tough bike course although short, literally straight up and straight down 8 times. Ouch. It was a small race and not super competitive, but I was the 4th woman across the finish line! The swim start was staggered by swim time (pool swim, water still way too cold here for OWS), so I'll actually know how I did once results are posted tomorrow.
2010-04-19 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2800108

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
krystyna47 - 2010-04-18 8:53 PM
Leegoocrap - 2010-04-18 8:00 PM

Back tomorrow for real!

Haha, you take it easy. The real world (and partying) is tough work!! Did you at least taper for it?  

Something like a Taper... two days later and I still feel like I got hit by a train. Triathlon is the easy part... planning and executing a bachelor party, and not dying... now that's difficult!
2010-04-19 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2799386

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
PATiger33 - 2010-04-18 11:44 AM I usually sit in the ice bath for about ten minutes.  It really helps.

I rode 90 minutes on the trainer and thought I was going to lose my mind.  I am going to Cadence Cycling tomorrow for my fitting and to figure out what is wrong with my computer.

Off to the Phillies game and then to the library. 

Those trainer sessions will make you all kinds of tough mentally... just because of how boring it can be. If you're going to be inside a bunch, I highly recommend checking into the Spinervals series. It helps... tons!

Lucky, I haven't got to see a game in years!
2010-04-19 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC

Hello

A good weekend training wise for me.  S,B,R on Saturday and wetsuit swimming on Sunday.

Then you throw in the Blue Angels performing two shows out over Charleston Harbor and I got to see the Sunday show. (Saturday -just got buzzed when they flew over.)

Less than two weeks before I kick off the 2010 season.

Kevin

2010-04-19 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

Training question for the group.

I am 14 weeks post knee surgery and since I was cleared to run I have been doing a good 7 to 10 minute stretch of my right leg prior running.  This weekend I did a S, B, R triple brick but I did not stretch my leg prior to starting my workout.  When I got to the run my right knee-leg was very balky.  It took a mile or more before I could run.  I know running after riding is an issue for most of us.

Should I do my leg streches as part of my warm-up and then maybe a quick stretch in T-2 before running?  Ideas?

Kevin 
2010-04-19 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2800430

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA

90 minutes on a trainer is alot, so tough to stay motivated for that long.  Hope the fitting went well you and were able to figure out your computer.

Fitting went great!  I switched out my seat and the head tube so I feel much better. Big bonus for me while I was there.  The tri coach that fitted me asked me if I was running the Philly Tri and I told him no because the Oly was sold out and I wasn't going to spend almost $200 to run a sprint.  He replied that the bike shop had some sponsor spots for the Oly and they signed me up.   
2010-04-19 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2801093

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
b2673ad - 2010-04-19 11:12 AM Hello

Training question for the group.

I am 14 weeks post knee surgery and since I was cleared to run I have been doing a good 7 to 10 minute stretch of my right leg prior running.  This weekend I did a S, B, R triple brick but I did not stretch my leg prior to starting my workout.  When I got to the run my right knee-leg was very balky.  It took a mile or more before I could run.  I know running after riding is an issue for most of us.

Should I do my leg streches as part of my warm-up and then maybe a quick stretch in T-2 before running?  Ideas?

Kevin 

Kevin:

I suggest to warm up the leg a little bit and then stretch it before exercising.  I would not stretch it "cold."  As far as T-2 goes, I think it depends on how the knee feels and the distance you are running.  Do you have knee pain on the bike?  How is your pedal stroke? 
2010-04-19 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

No pain when riding. 

Pedal stroke?  not sure what you mean.

Kevin
2010-04-19 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2802146

User image

Bryn Mawr, PA
b2673ad - 2010-04-19 4:04 PM Hello

No pain when riding. 

Pedal stroke?  not sure what you mean.

Kevin

Do you feel like your knees bow out or in when your ride?  Do you have a dead spot in your stroke?   

2010-04-19 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2802493

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
PATiger33 - 2010-04-19 5:58 PM

Do you feel like your knees bow out or in when your ride?  Do you have a dead spot in your stroke?   

On that note, if you can get yourself on a trainer, try pedaling only using one-leg (clip out with the other leg). You'll be better able to determine if you do indeed have a dead spot in your pedal stroke - they are usually at the top of the stroke and at the bottom of the stroke.

There are some good one-legged drills you can do to eliminate any dead spots, I think searchable by google or something like that if they are not on BT.  
2010-04-19 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

I don't think I have a dead spot but sometimes I feel like my heels bow out.

Right now I have an older Trek mountain bike  mounted in the trainer.  This bike has normal beach cruiser type pedals.  

I did do 40 minutes on the trainer tonight.

I am thinking my work boots my be causing an issue but I really need to do is go back to the Dr who operated on my knee for a recheck.  I don't want to have my knee drained every 6-8 weeks along with cortisone shot.  Doesn't it suck to worry  more about the cost of health care than getting better.

Kevin
2010-04-20 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2802785

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
b2673ad - 2010-04-19 8:09 PM Hello

I don't think I have a dead spot but sometimes I feel like my heels bow out.

Right now I have an older Trek mountain bike  mounted in the trainer.  This bike has normal beach cruiser type pedals.  

I did do 40 minutes on the trainer tonight.

I am thinking my work boots my be causing an issue but I really need to do is go back to the Dr who operated on my knee for a recheck.  I don't want to have my knee drained every 6-8 weeks along with cortisone shot.  Doesn't it suck to worry  more about the cost of health care than getting better.

Kevin

amen
2010-04-20 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2801804

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
PATiger33 - 2010-04-19 2:25 PM

Fitting went great!  I switched out my seat and the head tube so I feel much better. Big bonus for me while I was there.  The tri coach that fitted me asked me if I was running the Philly Tri and I told him no because the Oly was sold out and I wasn't going to spend almost $200 to run a sprint.  He replied that the bike shop had some sponsor spots for the Oly and they signed me up.   

hey congrats! sounds like good news all the way around!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19