General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-01-16 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3296636

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread
laurak11 - 2011-01-13 9:36 AM

LittleCat - 2011-01-10 3:33 PM Last year I wore: Swim: bikini, wetsuit, baracuda neoprene cap, race cap, smoked goggles. Bike: Bike bibs, long sleeve jersey over sport bra, socks, light skull cap, thin knit gloves that I took off and on as needed(These were a 'just in case item' that I was grateful to have these at some points-especially just getting on the bike from the cold water.) Run: regular run shorts, sports bra, socks, shoes, cap. Was just starting to feel a little chill towards the end of the mary as the sun was going down. Pretty much everyone had some sort of arm warmer thing on, whether a long sleeve jersey, arm warmers or light jacket. The biggest place this helped was after the swim when your body is cold it can be tough to warm up. I dont think it got above mid 60's, it was perfect race temp. The only thing I may change IF the weather is warmer is using a tri suit and arm warmers so I wont have to lose time fully changing...or I should say having an assistant dress me since my hands were numb. I too will help in whatever way I can with any questions!! I am so excited for everyone! Zanne.

Thanks for the update about race gear... I def think I will invest in a neoprene swim cap. I hope to get into lake erie in the spring when it's around the temp on race day so I know what it feels like. My last IM in sept was 68deg, but 10 deg is a big difference. I'm also super excited about "clothing assistance". I didnt' have a wetsuit stipper or helper at my last one and my T1 time was horrible!

Laura,
Great idea to swim in cold water prior to race day. Last year I hit Sand Hollow Res on Thursday after check in for a practice swim to make sure my neoprene cap and booties fit. But it turns out the thing I most got out of that swim was getting over the shock of cold water, and feeling the sting on my cheeks for the first few minutes. I would not have wanted to experience those for the first time on race morning.

2011-01-19 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2941892

User image

Orlando
Im in for SG!  This will be my first IM and I live in Central Florida so I am very nervous.  Just about everything you all have recommended doing is going to be difficult.  Cold water swims, riding hills, running hills...not in Orlando.  I work with a great coach and train with an awesome club so I think I will be able to get through this, it just won't be pretty.  The training hours are beginning to get pretty high but my excitement for the experience helps to get me through. 

Good luck to everyone!
2011-01-20 1:40 AM
in reply to: #3303425

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
kuotaguy - 2011-01-16 9:14 PM
laurak11 - 2011-01-13 9:36 AM
LittleCat - 2011-01-10 3:33 PM Last year I wore: Swim: bikini, wetsuit, baracuda neoprene cap, race cap, smoked goggles. Bike: Bike bibs, long sleeve jersey over sport bra, socks, light skull cap, thin knit gloves that I took off and on as needed(These were a 'just in case item' that I was grateful to have these at some points-especially just getting on the bike from the cold water.) Run: regular run shorts, sports bra, socks, shoes, cap. Was just starting to feel a little chill towards the end of the mary as the sun was going down. Pretty much everyone had some sort of arm warmer thing on, whether a long sleeve jersey, arm warmers or light jacket. The biggest place this helped was after the swim when your body is cold it can be tough to warm up. I dont think it got above mid 60's, it was perfect race temp. The only thing I may change IF the weather is warmer is using a tri suit and arm warmers so I wont have to lose time fully changing...or I should say having an assistant dress me since my hands were numb. I too will help in whatever way I can with any questions!! I am so excited for everyone! Zanne.

Thanks for the update about race gear... I def think I will invest in a neoprene swim cap. I hope to get into lake erie in the spring when it's around the temp on race day so I know what it feels like. My last IM in sept was 68deg, but 10 deg is a big difference. I'm also super excited about "clothing assistance". I didnt' have a wetsuit stipper or helper at my last one and my T1 time was horrible!
Laura, Great idea to swim in cold water prior to race day. Last year I hit Sand Hollow Res on Thursday after check in for a practice swim to make sure my neoprene cap and booties fit. But it turns out the thing I most got out of that swim was getting over the shock of cold water, and feeling the sting on my cheeks for the first few minutes. I would not have wanted to experience those for the first time on race morning.

Oh I def will be swimming in Lake Erie before the race. It should be similiar temps...
2011-01-28 11:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
I hope the reason no one has added to this thread in over a week is because we're all so tired from our hill repeat sessions. That's my excuse.

Nice temps returning to Atlanta this weekend! Looking forward to running outside for a change.

2011-01-30 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I'm just coming off a 17.5 hour training week(gulp.) and looking forward to a recovery week.

And thankfully I live in an area of the country that I don't need to do hill repeats!

Hope everyones training is going well, and everyone is staying healthy!

Zanne.
2011-02-04 10:30 PM

New user
For those who haven't secured lodging...

While they're selling for $155 through the IM site and close to that through priorityclub.com, being active duty military I was able to secure a $77 per night + tax government rate for two different rooms at the Holiday Inn Express that's 10 miles up the road towards the swim. $265 total for the 3 nights Thur-Sun, and it's cancellable with no penalty up until the day before with no deposit. One less thing to worry about.

I'll of course continue to slack on actually registering until I have to... They say IMLOU is close to full with 2800 registered but still room for a few hundred more according to IM, and yet IMSG is holding steady around 1900 as of Feb 1...

2011-02-07 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
T-minus 3 monthes!!
2011-02-07 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3343063

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
LittleCat - 2011-02-07 12:22 PM

T-minus 3 monthes!!

I realized this this morning. But then thought, it's actually less than that with taper as far as honest training is concerned. Make the next months really count, people!

2011-02-09 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
Just saw on my FaceBook page that Ironman is giving anyone who registers now for IMSG a free 12 week training plan through Training Peaks with IM coach Troy Jacobsen, plus three free Spinervals DVDs. They really want to sell this thing out.
2011-02-10 4:27 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
How's everybody's training going?  I have a race in 3.5 weeks so just want to make sure I can primarily maintain and build a little bit after that until IMSG and I should be okay.

By coincidence, I met LittleCat on a training ride at a stop at Pt. Reyes Station a few weeks ago.  She was wearing IMSG arm warmers and I just started talking to her about the race.  Just found out a few days ago she was here on BT.
2011-02-23 5:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Training is going okay considering I am primarily stuck inside due to the weather. I'll be happy to get outside for my long rides. 4 hours on the trainer is like torture!!!

2011-02-23 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3368135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
laurak11 - 2011-02-23 6:19 AM

Training is going okay considering I am primarily stuck inside due to the weather. I'll be happy to get outside for my long rides. 4 hours on the trainer is like torture!!!

Yuk! I'm originally from Youngstown, so I watch the weather up there. I'll say it again, YUK! Think of it as also getting you tough mentally.

2011-02-27 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
X2, YUCK!!! After 2 hours I start to lose it.

But yesterday it was 31 degrees here in California and there was SNOW up on Bolinas Ridge...I would have rather rode the nowhere bike.

Almost to the 2 month mark
2011-02-28 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
OK everyone it's crunch time! Time to ramp up the training. No IronMan for me this year as last year was a long one with 2 IM's. IMSG was a great race last year and you should be proud of the fact you're doing the toughest IM in the US. I think I'll be back at IMSG next year.

Good luck everyone!
2011-02-28 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
So I am freaked out now. I did 5hours on the bike sat. The weather was bad so I had to do it on the trainer. My legs were very soar and painful when I was done. I do not know how I'm going to run after being on a bike that long. That is the longest I have ever been on a bike.  I have to say that I am scared now for IMSG.  I think I will have to be on the bike 6 hours at best a more likely 7.  I'm not sure I am ready. I did the silverman half and am told that it is very tough. I am training a lot harder for this and after sat. I am very discouraged.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
2011-02-28 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
The best advice I can give you is to do whatever it takes to get long, long time in the saddle, including plenty of long climbs.

And that may mean riding in the rain, cold, wind.

2011-02-28 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3375590

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
LittleCat - 2011-02-28 9:44 AM The best advice I can give you is to do whatever it takes to get long, long time in the saddle, including plenty of long climbs. And that may mean riding in the rain, cold, wind.

Thank you. I'm thinking the same thing. I am just going to have to suck it up and do it. I will be doing longer and more frequent rides.  I think I am going to add a 30 minute run after those rides, just to get use to that transition, even if I have to walk it in the beginning. Still I am feeling intimidated, and have a whole new respect for anyone who as attempted, let alone completed an Ironman.
2011-03-02 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Mikoy-I am really curious being that you live in Las Vegas why you don't go up to SG and ride the course??

That would be excellent trainng.
2011-03-03 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3380090

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

LittleCat - 2011-03-02 4:56 PM Mikoy-I am really curious being that you live in Las Vegas why you don't go up to SG and ride the course?? That would be excellent trainng.

I am planning on doing that. I have just been very busy with work and of course kids sporting events. I am planning on riding the bike course in 2 weeks, the whole thing. I will also be planning some swim trips as well. I should be very familiar with the the whole course come race day.

2011-03-03 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3381641

User image

Master
San Francisco
mikoy - 2011-03-03 2:32 PM

I am planning on doing that. I have just been very busy with work and of course kids sporting events. I am planning on riding the bike course in 2 weeks, the whole thing. I will also be planning some swim trips as well. I should be very familiar with the the whole course come race day.

Mike, you have plenty of hills around you on which you can train.  I suspect the Silverman course is more challenging than IM SG's course.  Look up the course route and try riding some of those hills too.

2011-03-07 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
T-minus 2 months.

2011-03-08 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3381880

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
enginerd - 2011-03-03 5:58 PM
mikoy - 2011-03-03 2:32 PM

Mike, you have plenty of hills around you on which you can train.  I suspect the Silverman course is more challenging than IM SG's course.  Look up the course route and try riding some of those hills too.

I did the Red Rock Loop on Saturday. I have only been able to get up the hill 2/4 without stopping, but had no problem Sat. In fact I was surprised that I was at the top so quickly.

How does the climb at Red Rock compare to the hills on the IMSG course?

2011-03-08 6:12 PM

User image

???Hello all you fellow stalwart hadcore IMSG'ers! This will be my first IM...and I am glad I picked it - it will be an epic day! If you live in near Vegas or SG, then join me and some freinds in pre riding and running the course in the next month or so. First ride will be this saturday, 3/12, leaving Vegas at 8am. Will be riding first 65 miles (first 25 from resevoir, then one 40 mile Veyo loop) followed by a 30 minute brick run. We should be rolling out from resevoir at around 10:30 Utah time (1 hour ahead from vegas)..

For those here who live in vegas, I have been riding Hwy 159 to 160, US95 north to Lee canyon and indian springs, as well as lakeshore/northshore roads at lake mead (silverman)..and running the red rock loop, which I believe nicely mimics the SG run course...

Good Luck and have fun in your training and preparation!

2011-03-10 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
58 days!!!!!! finally booked a condo. I'm a procrastinator!
2011-03-14 11:57 AM

User image

Hi all! Just had an awesome weekend in SG..weather was perfect, sunny, warm, and light winds. Saturday ride was 67 miles (res to town, then one loop) and Sunday ran one lap of course. Here's the skinny...bike was beautiful, and challenging. If you're in Vegas, then ride Silverman course, as well as red rock loop and highway, up to potosi. Lots of steady climbing with 3-4 steep short hills (11-12%) where I was only doing 6-7 mph...I have a 53/39 and a 11/26 in back. Don't try to be a tough guy or gal and mash it up with only a 23 or even 25 in the back...after veyo, one more gradual climb, then the fun downhill..but even with light winds there was a headwind, and being aero paid off. I was even spun out in my 11 for awhile. No cattle guards o this fast downhill, there are 2-3 on long climb, still, use caution. Road surface was a bit smoother on downhill, with a couple short section of rough chip seal. road on climb was mostly all rough chip seal.Run course was very cool, and not as bad as I thought, but then again I have been running the 13 miles scenic red rock loop here in Vegas. So, if you live elsewhere, find hills! Rolling hills and steep hills! As they said in the Army "train as you fight, you'll fight as you train"...if no hills, well, go to a high rise or stadium and do stairs. Moral of the story: get low gears, stay cool (mentally) on the bike, and just steel yourself for the run. You have heard it before on here and other forums. If you can swing coming out for some pre rides and runs, do it. I am heading back up next weekend for one more go at the course, so if you wanna join me let me know! For you Vegas peeps, we are lucky- we got some awesome training grounds...
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13