BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-01-03 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3274255

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: RE: Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - OPEN
wkirbytri - 2011-01-03 11:16 AM

I would like to join your group! 

Name:  Wes

Family Status:  I am 37, married, two girls (13 and 8). 

Story:  I jumped in the world of tri in 2009 and completed a couple of sprint triathlons, a couple of half-marathons and a century bike ride.  I was extremely busy in 2010 and didn't compete in any tris, but would like to jump back and in and your mentor group looks to be a great motivator to stay consistent in my training.

Current training:  I've started a half-marathon training program and a beginner sprint program concurrently.  Still pretty out of shape for the most part, my endurance is not bad but I'm really slow!

Weight Loss:  I'm beginning the year at 245 and look forward to seeing that number drop steadily

WELCOME WES!! You also got the cool box in your post....which I'm jealous of!

Glad to see another groupee starting early on in the training.  It can be really discouraging, but also really encouraging when you start seeing results!  Whether in improving endurance/times/distance or in having your clothes fit a bit looser.

Do you have a half picked out??

2011-01-03 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3275721

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
lkct01234 - 2011-01-03 10:16 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2011-01-03 11:08 AM Mentor Groups rock! I’d love to join this one. Got some room for me? I’m Jonah. I turn 43 in a few weeks and 2011 will be my 5th full year of triathlons.... I’d also really like to race another 70.3 in 2011, and I’ve got my sights set on IM70.3 Syracuse. My favorite discipline is the bike, and I’ve gradually improved from barely cracking 18mph on a flat Sprint Course to breaking 20mph on a hilly Oly course last summer. The swim is where I typically rank the highest in my AG. The run is both my weakest and least favorite, in part because of all the injuries I’ve had. I'm looking to train consistently throughout the winter, and keep my weight to a reasonable level (around 180). I also want to be more consistent about logging workouts and keeping up my training blog. A mentor group seems like just the thing. Happy New Year!

WELCOME JONAH!!  I was excited to see another COJer....and another experienced triathlete to add to our group!

I think something I struggle with....goals are "longer term" goals and I have a hard time working on them in the present.  I'm hoping that the group will help me keep accountable.

I struggle with the same thing ,which is also a reason that I became a mentor and why I joined this group. Two other things that help: training with a partner and keeping a race on your calendar, even if it's a short one. I know that if I don't stay busy and focused on the races I have this winter and spring, I'd be tempted to slack off until suddenly Rev3 was staring me in the face...umm...kinda like I did last year. And if you check out my race report, you'll see how that worked out.
2011-01-03 10:20 PM
in reply to: #3274407

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
ScotInMinnesota - 2011-01-03 12:08 PM

I'd like to join your group. I need a little extra motivation.

NAME:Scot

FAMILY STATUS: Married, son - 12 & daughter - 8

CURRENT TRAINING: I've started running again. I need to setup the trainer.

2011 RACES: I'm not sure yet. Probably a couple 1/2 marathons. I'll probably stick to Sprints and maybe an Olympic Triathlon. I'm trying to work on speed for shorter races this year. I haven't raced the last two years.

WEIGHTLOSS: 15 pounds

WELCOME SCOT!!  We'll do our best for motivation...I'll get the chart up soon.  (tomorrow will be my goal...)  Trying to enjoy the last day of my "honeymoon"  :-(  :-)
2011-01-03 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3274144

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
shannonlovley - 2011-01-03 10:41 AM

I guess I am technically challenged because I can't seem to figure out the training log on this site so I wanted to start here.
Can you help me??

Shannon-- for the training log, you can use the basics or all of the bells and whistles. It's up to you. I mostly use just the training log to keep track of time and distance for swim/bike/run, and for strength training.
Click on the "Training Log" box at the top. That'll take you to your log. Go to the box that corresponds to today's date and click the word "training" at the top of it. That'll take you into your training log entry page. For each section (swim, bike, run) you enter the time spent training that discipline and the distance (in miles or km for biking and running, in yards/meters for swimming) that you traveled. If you want, you can click the "calc" button and it will calculate your pace (MPH for bike, minutes:mile for run, minutes:100y for swim). You can also enter comments, like the specific workout you did or route you ran. For Strength training, you can enter the time you spent training and, if you want, you can select the specific exercises you did from the menu. You can also log the time spent doing other non s/b/r activities, like other sports, yard work, walking, etc.
There are also places where you can log things like your weight, hours slept, stress level, etc. and a feature where you can track your nutrition. I don't use those but lots of people do.
Once you save your data, you'll see it reflected both in the calendar to the left (days where you train are pink, days where you blog but don't train are yellow, days where you don't enter anything are blank), and on the running tally for the month and year below that.

Hope that helps! PM me if you have questions.
2011-01-04 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3256444

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Subject: RE: Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training!
I'm going to start periodic discussions/pose questions...feel free to add to the list.

Today's question...what is your "A" race for 2011?  (AKA the race you hope to do the best at/achieve the most...)

And my suggestion: sign up for it!
2011-01-04 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3276027

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN

lkct01234 - 2011-01-04 7:43 AM I'm going to start periodic discussions/pose questions...feel free to add to the list.

Today's question...what is your "A" race for 2011?  (AKA the race you hope to do the best at/achieve the most...)

My "A" race of the year is the Chaska Sprint. It's one of my favorite races. It's a small race, but well organized.

I'd like to drop 5 minutes off my best time. I think the key to this will be dropping some weight along with some focussed speed and hill training. The bike is fairly hilly, for Minnesota. The run starts with a 3/4 mile uphill, which is tough off the transition, but it feels great to fly down that hill coming into the finish.

2011-01-04 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Am I allowed to have 2?

A-race #1 is the NJ State Triathlon where I hope to set a PR for the Oly distance.

A-race #2 is IM70.30 Syracuse, at which I hope to break 6h, which will also be a PR. I finished my last HIM at 6:04, and could have cracked 6h if I’d realized earlier that I was close to it and picked up my pace sooner.
2011-01-04 8:43 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Here is the list for the Group!! I hope it copies and pastes ok...let me know if something doesn't work!  (PMs work...)

Mr. & Mrs. T's Mentor Group
GROUP THREAD
Mr. T/Dave = Briderdt
Mrs. T/Lisa = lkct01234

Beth = BAMBAM66
Heather = HNewman
Jim = anloc69
Jonah = jmkbrooklyn
Justin = Jeddred
Ken = Kenott
Kevin = Knewbike
libbyfreeman
Mary A
Meredith = Merholmgren
Mike = mashmead
Scot = ScotInMinnesota
shannonlovley
Wes = wkirbytri

***HONORARY:
Mike = McFuzz

ETA:  I'm not going to point fingers or name names...but some of the group members may need to add the group members as friends in order for me to access your log... :-D

Edited by lkct01234 2011-01-04 8:44 AM
2011-01-04 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3275715

User image

New user

CT
Thank you so much for letting me into your group! 
I know it seems like a have already too much on my plate with the kids...lol but this is ME time.  I love to run...even when it kills me!  I am an ok swimmer but I am not a free style swimmer.  When I did the tri last Septmeber I did a side stroke and breast stroke combo.  I thought for sure I would look like an idiot but I was not the only one doing that combo.  My goal for this year is to actually learn to swim freestyle.  I know how...I just seem to panic too much and feel like I am kicking so hard that I get tired too fast.  The bike...well I do have one so I guess that is half the battle.  I have a mountain bike and I am worried that all the street bike ladies are gonna blow me out of the water.  I  tend to be kind of competetive and I need to remember that my ultimate goal is to finish and maybe better my time from the last race.  I remember when I was watching the ladies come in off the bike and I marveled at the one lady that came in on her bike with a pink basket on the front.  I was so proud of her for getting out there and doing her thing!  Now I just need to allow myself that same feeling and not worry so much about how I look...right? 
Thank you for the instructions on how to use the log...I will master that yet!  I did however run 3.5 miles yesterday in the cold and wind and I felt great.  10 min miles of course but I just let that go because it was windy and I hadn't been out for 2 weeks! 
2011-01-04 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3275398

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
merholmgren - 2011-01-03 5:37 PMBTW - Heidi is definitely joining our group but her husband is arriving home from a year in Afgahnistan tonight so she is preoccupied.

Good reason.
2011-01-04 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3276234

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
shannonlovley - 2011-01-04 8:52 AM

My goal for this year is to actually learn to swim freestyle.  I know how...I just seem to panic too much and feel like I am kicking so hard that I get tired too fast.  The bike...well I do have one so I guess that is half the battle.  I have a mountain bike and I am worried that all the street bike ladies are gonna blow me out of the water.  I  tend to be kind of competetive and I need to remember that my ultimate goal is to finish and maybe better my time from the last race.   

Shannon:
I have a friend who learned to swim freestyle two years ago and who completed her third full IM this year, so don't worry about the lack of swimming background holding you back.

Also, if you switch the tires on your mountain bike from the knobby off-road tires to the completely smooth road slicks, you’ll see an increase in your speed. You might also consider toe clips or, better yet, clipless pedals (the kind that attach to specialized cycling shoes), which will also make a big difference in pedaling efficiency and speed. It still won’t be as fast as a road bike, but those roadie women will have to work much harder to pass you.
Some races have “fat tire” divisions, where you race against other women on mountain bikes or hybrids, instead of against athletes on road or triathlon bikes.

2011-01-04 10:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
lkct01234 - 2011-01-04 8:43 AM I'm going to start periodic discussions/pose questions...feel free to add to the list.

My "A" race is the Battle of Waterloo.  A local 10 leg adventure race through the trails and lakes near my home.  I already signed up.  Last year I completed it in 4:22 (I think) which was good for 5th out of 15 in AG.  I would like to break 4 hrs this year which I think will be very doable considering how I lollygagged through my transitions last year. This was by far my favorite race last year.  I had so much fun.  http://www.estevents.com/battleofwaterloo.htm
2011-01-04 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3276205

User image

Kennesaw
I am so glad you put this list together.  I was going to ask if you could do that.  Heidi's screen name is Htucker.  She should be home in a day or two.
2011-01-04 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Defining my A race will be hard since I don't yet have a schedule in place.  I have my first half mary this Saturday and later that day we hop on a plane to go skiing. 

I will likely get more serious about planning once we get back from the trip next week.  Tentatively my A race is an oly the first weekend of June.  I may look at another oly later in the season in a nearby state since I don't think there are any more in Mississippi past July (we will be out of town for the other oly I know of in MS in July). 

Like I said, I will have to get serious about planning once this half mary is over.  I will likely dive right into full on tri training once we get back.  But I am a little hooked on running this much and would love to run another half or maybe a full mary.  That would really limit my tri training though.  I have some decisions to make.
2011-01-04 12:20 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
I don't have any races on the schedule yet.  My Biggest Loser program starts on Jan. 18 and ends the first of April.  Which, BTW, is when our local running club starts their ramp up for Steamboat Race (4 miles).  We also have our Race for the Cure in May (5k).  My entire goal for this mentor group is to lose a minimum of 25 pounds through this program.
2011-01-04 12:46 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I only have two events on my "potential" list for 2011, the half-marathon in Chicago in June, and the Tacoma Narrows half-marathon in August. So I guess those are my "A" races as of now. But really, I'm not going to stress over them at all. It's a long time to get there, and plenty of time to build up distance.

2011-01-04 12:52 PM

User image

Jackson, MS
I'm with Mike (Mashmead).  Thinking about trying for the Heatwave Classic in June, which is an oly.   Honestly it will depend on how much time I have for training with my job.  If I DO get to race it, I want to bike >19mph and run <8:30...but we'll have to see!  Otherwise, I'll pick my A race to be a local sprint sometime...
2011-01-04 1:01 PM

User image

Jackson, MS
And I don't know how to add you so that you can see my empty training log...

Nevermind...husband helped me.

Edited by Mary A 2011-01-04 1:34 PM
2011-01-04 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
lkct01234 - 2011-01-04 7:43 AM I'm going to start periodic discussions/pose questions...feel free to add to the list.

Lonestar 70.3 is easily my A race because it's my first at this distance and the focus of every training session between now and April.  I hope to go sub 6 for my first HIM which seems agressive.  If I survive the swim and pace the bike I should have enough left to get it done.  Nutrition is something I need to practice a bunch between now and then since it really starts to come into play at this distance (much more so at 140.6).

I volunteered for this race last year when my best friend completed his 1st HIM and fell in love with the race.  It's cooler temps for Houston / Galveston and super flat.  The swim is wetsuit legal which is also important for non-swimmers like myself who need all the help they can get. Since it's an Ironman race the pros show up which adds a bit of excitement to the atmosphere.  I can't wait for the lead female athletes to fly by me on the run.  I will be on my first loop and they should be finishing up. 
2011-01-04 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3277093

User image

Veteran
Actually, my A race right now is coming up Saturday so I'll post the first race day strategy question for the group. 

Saturday is my first half marathon.  My main concerns center around nutrition and pace.

NUTRITION
For all my long runs (ususally about 1.5+ hrs) I have taken a GU or Shot Bloks and a bottle of water with a NUUN tablet mixed in.  The bottle is a great little thing I picked up at a running shop.  It straps to my hand isn't very noticeable.  I really took these things with me because I THOUGHT I needed them to do well, and maybe I did.  However, last week I did a rather long run just over 10 miles one morning before work.  I didnt think to take the bottle or a gel with me and didn't really need them either.  While not my fastest I would still call that run (it's in my log on 12/29) one of my best to date.  Since then I've been thinking, do I need to race with the bottle or GU at all?  I've only got one run like that under my belt so not a lot to support that idea.  I'm thinking about carrying a GU and the bottle anyways, no harm.  Thoughts?

PACE
Disclaimer: these paces may not be spot on, but are in the ballpark. 
Most recovery (very easy) runs are 9-9:30/mile.  Most easy (normal) runs are 8:45-ish.  Uncomfortable (but sustainable) paces start around 7:45 or so.  5k pace is about 6:20.  I ran a 12k a while back (longest foot race to date) and I started way too fast (5k pace) but ended with an avg. of 7:06/mile and stinkin' tired.  So all this to say: I have no idea what to run the half at!  I'm thinking the first half I'll stick around 8:15 and then ratchet it up and hopefully end around 7:15 that way I won't crash early.  Thoughts?

I apprecite any feedback.  I'm confident about the race and absolutely cannot wait for the gun to go off but could use some help fine tuning my race day approach. 

Thanks.
2011-01-04 1:54 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
The T-Rex Tri in August (end of the three-month T-Rex series, which starts in June) and the Army 10 Mile in October for me! Signups aren't up for either yet (Army goes live in April, T-Rex should be coming along here shortly), but I'll sign up when they're available. Might even talk that other guy into coming with me.

2011-01-04 1:59 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Lonestar might be my favorite race ever. I did the Sprint in 2007 and 2008, before it was an IM-branded race. (Do they even have a Sprint anymore?)

I would love to do it again. I love Galveston (my parents live there) and it was the best-run and most fun event I’ve ever done. Unfortunately, the timing doesn’t work with my son’s school schedule anymore, but put me down for 2023!
2011-01-04 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3277262

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
mashmead - 2011-01-04 1:53 PM

Actually, my A race right now is coming up Saturday so I'll post the first race day strategy question for the group. 

Saturday is my first half marathon.  My main concerns center around nutrition and pace.

NUTRITION
For all my long runs (ususally about 1.5+ hrs) I have taken a GU or Shot Bloks and a bottle of water with a NUUN tablet mixed in.  The bottle is a great little thing I picked up at a running shop.  It straps to my hand isn't very noticeable.  I really took these things with me because I THOUGHT I needed them to do well, and maybe I did.  However, last week I did a rather long run just over 10 miles one morning before work.  I didnt think to take the bottle or a gel with me and didn't really need them either.  While not my fastest I would still call that run (it's in my log on 12/29) one of my best to date.  Since then I've been thinking, do I need to race with the bottle or GU at all?  I've only got one run like that under my belt so not a lot to support that idea.  I'm thinking about carrying a GU and the bottle anyways, no harm.  Thoughts?

I think the conventional wisdom is that it’s a good idea to bring along some form of nutrition/calories for any run over an hour. So if you’re going to be running a half, especially if you’re going to be pushing the pace, you’re probably going to need some kind of nutrition or you’re going to have a hard time sustaining the pace for the full 13.1. You could suffer through it, but why do it?

What will be provided for you on the course? If there’s Gatorade or some other kind of sports drink, you could potentially be fine with that. When I do a half, I usually eat a gel at about the 4-mile and about the 8-mile mark and drink water from the aid stations.
2011-01-04 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3277314

User image

Veteran
jmk-brooklyn - 2011-01-04 2:09 PM
mashmead - 2011-01-04 1:53 PM Actually, my A race right now is coming up Saturday so I'll post the first race day strategy question for the group. 

NUTRITION
I think the conventional wisdom is that it’s a good idea to bring along some form of nutrition/calories for any run over an hour. So if you’re going to be running a half, especially if you’re going to be pushing the pace, you’re probably going to need some kind of nutrition or you’re going to have a hard time sustaining the pace for the full 13.1. You could suffer through it, but why do it? What will be provided for you on the course? If there’s Gatorade or some other kind of sports drink, you could potentially be fine with that. When I do a half, I usually eat a gel at about the 4-mile and about the 8-mile mark and drink water from the aid stations.

I'm not so talented at getting water/gatorade at aid stations.  What actually ends up in my mouth doesnt seem worth the effort.  I could slow down and actually drink it but I feel the slowing down to drink part really screws up anything good I had going.

There will be aid stations with gatorade.  I think I'll stick to my own like I usually do for long runs.  You're right, I'll need it and there's no need to change something after one different workout.
2011-01-04 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3277262

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
mashmead - 2011-01-04 11:53 AM Actually, my A race right now is coming up Saturday so I'll post the first race day strategy question for the group. 

NUTRITION

PACE
Disclaimer: these paces may not be spot on, but are in the ballpark. 
Most recovery (very easy) runs are 9-9:30/mile.  Most easy (normal) runs are 8:45-ish.  Uncomfortable (but sustainable) paces start around 7:45 or so.  5k pace is about 6:20.  I ran a 12k a while back (longest foot race to date) and I started way too fast (5k pace) but ended with an avg. of 7:06/mile and stinkin' tired.  So all this to say: I have no idea what to run the half at!  I'm thinking the first half I'll stick around 8:15 and then ratchet it up and hopefully end around 7:15 that way I won't crash early.  Thoughts?

I apprecite any feedback.  I'm confident about the race and absolutely cannot wait for the gun to go off but could use some help fine tuning my race day approach. 

Thanks.

The pace for your last long runs was right around 8:40, and your (10K) uncomfy but sustainable is 7:45... I see you have a couple training runs past 13.1 in the last month, so the distance itself isn't an unknown. In that case, I think you're okay for your target early pace, but you might want to monitor closely how you're feeling, and how you think your energy reserves are getting depleted before you make a 1 min/mile jump in pace. I'd suggest slowly pressing the pace, making a more continual "speeding up" over the last several miles. Even then, you're going to want to monitor yourself very closely.

As for nutrition, you're looking at less than 90 minutes, so you won't need to carry much. If you feel better carrying a bottle than trying to grab liquids on the fly, by all means do so. A Gu tucked into your shorts isn't a bad idea even if you never use it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training! Rss Feed  

of 16