BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2010-12-31 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3269330

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
MAC36 - 2010-12-31 5:43 AM Morning all

have decided to track my calorie intake as i think it will show me the damage a random item can cause. have signed up on the livestrong site. Has anyone had any experience with the site or similar and are they beneficial

Although I haven't used any of the site's, I spent years counting calories in a notebook  (from when I did bodybuilding)

It certainly will keep you honest and if you are like me, you'll learn A LOT about manipulating weight, hydration, and just how many calories there are in things we don't think of (Like a stick of gum... around 5kcal and you don't even EAT anything!)

I'd say it's 100% beneficial to anyone, even if you don't intend to lose or gain weight.

2010-12-31 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3269192

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
acgibby - 2010-12-30 11:56 PM

Unfortunately, I have surgery for my wisdom teeth on the 3rd... Not sure how long it will take to get back into training, but when I do go back I am looking for a 16 week Oly plan. If anyone has had some in the past that they thought were helpful, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'm pretty driven, and I want to push myself with workouts.

I used the Free BT OLY plan my first year training... I thought it was pretty well set up, especially for the cost

Good luck with the Wisdom Teeth! It's generally a pretty quick recovery if that is any comfort!

Edited by Leegoocrap 2010-12-31 9:19 AM
2010-12-31 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Nick,

Uploading Garmin workouts to the BT logs is indeed a Pay feature. Sorry, I didn't know that myself. But at least now we know what was going on!
2010-12-31 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
2010-12-31 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3269562

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Leegoocrap - 2010-12-31 9:18 AM
acgibby - 2010-12-30 11:56 PM

Unfortunately, I have surgery for my wisdom teeth on the 3rd... Not sure how long it will take to get back into training, but when I do go back I am looking for a 16 week Oly plan. If anyone has had some in the past that they thought were helpful, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'm pretty driven, and I want to push myself with workouts.

I used the Free BT OLY plan my first year training... I thought it was pretty well set up, especially for the cost

Good luck with the Wisdom Teeth! It's generally a pretty quick recovery if that is any comfort!

I used the free paln on heare as well and thought it was great.
2010-12-31 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3269588

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida

2010-12-31 9:51 AM

New user

Centennial Colorado

Let's see.  Short bio...my name is Wendy, I'm 52, and have never participated in a triathlon. I'm not sure, but does this make me the most senior and least experienced???Undecided
I have 3 grown children, am single, and just joined a new Lifetime Fittness built next door to me. My workout buddy just learned that she's pregnant (and feeling not so hot) so I've been cast to the winds, so to speak.  I was looking for something to motivate me or some possibilities for other workout buddies on the lifetime fittness site and stumbled a series of tris sponsored by Lifetime in 2011.  Particularly, one in Austin on May 30.  My sister has been doing tris for several years and she lives in Austin, and so a thought began to form......sometimes it's scary when that happens.  

Mostly I have been a treadmill run/walker for the last several years, but I'm pretty sure I can manage it outside as well.

I do own a bike, but it is 35 years old, (and currently in custody of my children who don't really want to give it back) so will need some advice on where to start on the thought of getting something that was made in this century. 

I used to swim a lot, and probably have decent skills, but no recent endurance.  Got back in the pool this am for the first time in years...I think I swam about 800 M, but does anyone have a tip about how to keep track of laps??? 

I appreciate you all taking on a newbie.....just think of how proud you will be if you get me through my first tri!  Smile

2010-12-31 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3269582

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Leegoocrap - 2010-12-31 10:29 AM Nick,

Uploading Garmin workouts to the BT logs is indeed a Pay feature. Sorry, I didn't know that myself. But at least now we know what was going on!

Nick, sorry for the multiple updates haha. I talked to Marmadaddy and he told me he and Ron had decided to make the 305 upload feature free, probably starting by the end of the weekend. So it should be working soon.
2010-12-31 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3269603

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
cpsdad - 2010-12-31 10:40 AM

Chris, how do I put this in my log?

Hey Chris, the easiest way is just to click-drag over the box, copy it, then paste it into your logs (click the edit button to open up the top area above where you'd put your workout info)
2010-12-31 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3269642

User image

South Florida
Nick, sorry for the multiple updates haha. I talked to Marmadaddy and he told me he and Ron had decided to make the 305 upload feature free, probably starting by the end of the weekend. So it should be working soon.

Awesome! Thanks Chris.
2010-12-31 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3269626

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
wendy9447 - 2010-12-31 10:51 AM

Let's see.  Short bio...my name is Wendy, I'm 52, and have never participated in a triathlon. I'm not sure, but does this make me the most senior and least experienced???Undecided
I have 3 grown children, am single, and just joined a new Lifetime Fittness built next door to me. My workout buddy just learned that she's pregnant (and feeling not so hot) so I've been cast to the winds, so to speak.  I was looking for something to motivate me or some possibilities for other workout buddies on the lifetime fittness site and stumbled a series of tris sponsored by Lifetime in 2011.  Particularly, one in Austin on May 30.  My sister has been doing tris for several years and she lives in Austin, and so a thought began to form......sometimes it's scary when that happens. 

It's easy to catch the Tri Bug

Mostly I have been a treadmill run/walker for the last several years, but I'm pretty sure I can manage it outside as well.

I do own a bike, but it is 35 years old, (and currently in custody of my children who don't really want to give it back) so will need some advice on where to start on the thought of getting something that was made in this century. 

I'd start with just going to a couple of the local bike shops in your area and browsing / talking to the guys/gals there. Explain that you aren't 100% sure what you are looking for, and you aren't buying today, just looking for idea's / input. For that matter, it's important to decide just what exactly you ARE looking for... bikes are like automobiles... some people need a Ferrari, some people need an F350, but most people just want something reliable. Do you think you only want to be doing triathlons on the bike? Going to get into group riding? Those questions (and others... like how flexible you are, how serious about racing you are, how fat your wallet...err purse... is, etc) are all very important to have a clear answer to before you go to spend the money.

I used to swim a lot, and probably have decent skills, but no recent endurance.  Got back in the pool this am for the first time in years...I think I swam about 800 M, but does anyone have a tip about how to keep track of laps??? 

I use a Timex Ironman watch w/ the lap feature I bought from wal-mart. It was about $10 and I've had it for about 4 years with no problem or sign of it dying (which is more than I can say for my Citizen watches...)

I appreciate you all taking on a newbie.....just think of how proud you will be if you get me through my first tri!  Smile

Just remember it's the race, not the finish line, that's important

2010-12-31 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3269649

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Got it in there thanks Chris. One more question, how do I add people to my friends list?
2010-12-31 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3269925

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
cpsdad - 2010-12-31 1:32 PM Got it in there thanks Chris. One more question, how do I add people to my friends list?

Click *Settings* at the top of the page, then click over to "Training Blog Customization" and then "Friends"

That'll bring you to the "add friends" screen. The best way to make sure it's right is to click the "..." box and type the username of the person you want to add, it'll locate it and then you can add it.

This screen also lets you see who has added you as a friend.
2010-12-31 4:29 PM

User image

New user
Woo did my last bike/run for 2010! Woke up with lots of energy, but my legs did not want to comply. All in all it was good with some decent weather slightly warmer than usual but still cold. Dropped my hybrid bike off for some tuning and started looking into a road bike or tri bike.

Also about time to retire my running shoes as well. Looking at getting one of the memberships as well, but not sure which to get. Any tips on choosing a training plan? My swims will be hour long instructed classes with Alexandria Masters swimming on Monday and Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. Is this where the gold membership comes in handy allowing me to modify the chosen training plan to fit my schedule?
2010-12-31 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3270242

User image

Bronze member
Andr3w - 2010-12-31 4:29 PM Woo did my last bike/run for 2010! Woke up with lots of energy, but my legs did not want to comply. All in all it was good with some decent weather slightly warmer than usual but still cold. Dropped my hybrid bike off for some tuning and started looking into a road bike or tri bike.

Also about time to retire my running shoes as well. Looking at getting one of the memberships as well, but not sure which to get. Any tips on choosing a training plan? My swims will be hour long instructed classes with Alexandria Masters swimming on Monday and Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. Is this where the gold membership comes in handy allowing me to modify the chosen training plan to fit my schedule?

I bought the silver membership and have been happy with it. I am able to modify the plan however I need to. I can move the workouts around to fit my schedule. Just click and drag. Or if you don't want to utilize the swim workouts from the training plan you can choose to download only the bike and run portions to your training log.  Not trying to talk you out of a gold membership, just some info for you.

Good job on your workout! It was warmer here today too. I got to ride my bike outside for the first time in over a month!
2010-12-31 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3270242

Regular
Andr3w - 2010-12-31 4:29 PM Woo did my last bike/run for 2010! Woke up with lots of energy, but my legs did not want to comply. All in all it was good with some decent weather slightly warmer than usual but still cold. Dropped my hybrid bike off for some tuning and started looking into a road bike or tri bike.

Great job Andrew! I would reccommend The Nike Zoom Vomero's... They are a little on the pricy side... but well worth it. Best shoes I have ever worn... Thinking about getting a pair just to wear around... Simply amazing.  Happy new year everyone!

By the way, it may just be me, and or my generation, but feel free to contact me on FaceBook! It's a lot easier to communicate on there, and to get to know one another on a personal basis.  Austin Gibbs is the name.

2010-12-31 8:17 PM

User image

New user
Nice, that is exactly the information I was searching for with the memberships. As far as shoes go, a few weeks ago I tried on a pair for Saucony fast twich 4's when I was back home.  I was going to stick with my Asics DS racers, but these just fit my foot much better. Hopefully I will be able to find a local store that sells these over here. Any suggestions on Tri shorts? I think its time to retire the board shorts Tongue out. Are all these safe to wear in chlorine pools?

Also what watch does everyone use for heart rate monitoring. Bought my brother a polar FT4 for his birthday/Christmas and tried it on. Did a 40 minute run at what felt like my normal training runs and noticed my average heart rate was in the high 170's Throughout the whole run. According to the target heart rate formula, that is right at the maximum heart rate for training. Is there any benefit to training at those levels or varying the heart rate zones throughout the week.

Whats everyone doing for the new years? The smell of my suite mates Chinese food just came into my room. That sounds soo delicious right now! Whats everyones favorite healthy night time snack
2011-01-01 4:53 AM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
Hey all

I guess being the furthest East (UK) it is up to me to see in the new year first. I hope you all had a great evening and what ever 2010 was like it is now history and we all have 2011 to look forward to.
I hope it brings all that you want but most importantly you stay healthy and injury free so you can hit your own goals this year
Have a great New Years Day

Mac
2011-01-01 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3270503

User image

Bronze member
Andr3w - 2010-12-31 8:17 PM Nice, that is exactly the information I was searching for with the memberships. As far as shoes go, a few weeks ago I tried on a pair for Saucony fast twich 4's when I was back home.  I was going to stick with my Asics DS racers, but these just fit my foot much better. Hopefully I will be able to find a local store that sells these over here. Any suggestions on Tri shorts? I think its time to retire the board shorts Tongue out. Are all these safe to wear in chlorine pools?

Also what watch does everyone use for heart rate monitoring. Bought my brother a polar FT4 for his birthday/Christmas and tried it on. Did a 40 minute run at what felt like my normal training runs and noticed my average heart rate was in the high 170's Throughout the whole run. According to the target heart rate formula, that is right at the maximum heart rate for training. Is there any benefit to training at those levels or varying the heart rate zones throughout the week.

Whats everyone doing for the new years? The smell of my suite mates Chinese food just came into my room. That sounds soo delicious right now! Whats everyones favorite healthy night time snack

I just bought a used Garmin 305 in December. I have not used the heart rate features yet. I'm avoiding the LT test but I should just get it over with already.

We had a New Years Eve party last night and this morning I got up for a run with friends to start the new year.
You just made me hungry for Chinese food! I haven't eaten any in about 4 years.

2011-01-02 12:33 AM

Regular
Would an indoor bike trainer be something worth purchasing? I'm a student in a fairly small dorm room, but I have a private room and next semester I will probably be moving to the apartment suites. (I'm an RA so I get my own room )  It just isn't the same when I ride the bikes that are at the gym, plus I lose the effect (from what I hear) of the clip features.  I went to town today with my new bike, hopped on, clips and all, and started down the road I was going to be traveling on for a while... I got .5 miles and had to turn around... My hands were numb, and it was to the point where I couldn't feel them so I decided I'd hit the gym later.  Also, does anyone travel to any events near southern Missouri? I think it'd be really interesting to either participate, or even watch, someone who's in the group. Especially because I'm a noobie, I still enjoy watching people go at it (I'm sure I will always enjoy this).  I just think it's awesome that in such a short time, I've become so motivated, interested, and passionate about this sport. The fact that I have this group, yes thats all of you, is that much more of a foundation for my future in the sport. Thanks everyone again, for all of your help thus far. It has been greatly appreciated!!!!
2011-01-02 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3272016

User image

Bronze member
acgibby - 2011-01-02 12:33 AM Would an indoor bike trainer be something worth purchasing? I'm a student in a fairly small dorm room, but I have a private room and next semester I will probably be moving to the apartment suites. (I'm an RA so I get my own room )  It just isn't the same when I ride the bikes that are at the gym, plus I lose the effect (from what I hear) of the clip features.  I went to town today with my new bike, hopped on, clips and all, and started down the road I was going to be traveling on for a while... I got .5 miles and had to turn around... My hands were numb, and it was to the point where I couldn't feel them so I decided I'd hit the gym later.  Also, does anyone travel to any events near southern Missouri? I think it'd be really interesting to either participate, or even watch, someone who's in the group. Especially because I'm a noobie, I still enjoy watching people go at it (I'm sure I will always enjoy this).  I just think it's awesome that in such a short time, I've become so motivated, interested, and passionate about this sport. The fact that I have this group, yes thats all of you, is that much more of a foundation for my future in the sport. Thanks everyone again, for all of your help thus far. It has been greatly appreciated!!!!

I use my bike trainer all the time. Not sure how the workout compares to riding the bike at the gym. It's just really convenient for me with young children at home and a hubby who works long hours. Last year I got some really great cycling gloves that are super warm and shoe covers that go over your cycling shoes like a glove. They kept my feet nice and toasty. You might want to check out some of that stuff too for your cold weather rides.
I noticed you are from St. Louis. I grew up in Belleville IL, just across the river. I have a good friend who lives in Holts Summit Missouri (not sure where that is from you). Her husband is thinking about doing a tri this summer. I told him to pick one out and I'd race with him. I'll let you know when I find out what race he wants to try.

2011-01-02 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3272016

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
acgibby - 2011-01-01 11:33 PM Would an indoor bike trainer be something worth purchasing?

My bike trainer is the one piece of equipment that I have a serious love/hate relationship with. It's a great investment, and you can usually find used ones on Craigslist for a decent price. If you do get one, you'll have to find a bunch of movies or good music to occupy your time, as riding the trainer can be fairly boring.  Yet it gets the job done.

I have a Garmin 305 and I truly like it. I was having the same issue when I first started HR training, forced me to slow down my pace on endurance runs, and that helped me improve significantly.

I hope everybody had a good New Year! I took a bad spill while back country skiing on New Year's Eve and messed my knee up a bit. Here's to hoping it continues to feel better and I didn't injure it badly!  I'm a snowboarder and idiotically thought I could try my hand at skiing in some easy back country. It could have been worse I guess, at least I was able to get out under my own power... I guess this is what I get for being stupid. Well at least I'll be spending some quality time in the pool this week.
2011-01-02 4:21 PM

Veteran
Happy New Years everyone!!
I have an old Garmin 301- with HR monitor- would like to upgrade however it does the job- so.... ( and did not win the hug lottery this weekend here in Ontario... so!!! ( lol)
ve
As well- use a bike trainer- or as my buddy calls in "the drainer". I have what is called a computrainer- bought it from a buddy of mine who was upgrading. It is an older model- but does the trick. It measures wattag, and provides some course (not many as the new ones do- but gives me some short courses...).

-went out for a long run this morn- not fast but got it in!!! Onwards everyone!!!

-Helen
2011-01-02 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I have a real nice Polar HR monitor.  My wife bought if for me about 5+ years ago.  I also use it for my bike computer with speed and cadence sensor.  I wish I had GPS, but I can't justify it because my current watch works great.  (Same problem:  I have a 5+ YO IPod Nano and Nike +)  I use this stuff every day, and do try to take good care of my toys, but I wish they would die so I could get new cool stuff.   I would probably recommend the Garmin or Timex if I was going to buy today.  Hope the timex continues to get better because my exerience with Garmin products leaves a lot to be desired. 

I bought my wife a Garmin 205 a couple of years ago.  It worked well for 2 years and then holds only about a 2 hour charge.  The Garmin software never worked very well.  My wife loved it as she had limited expectations, but as a software developer, athlete and professional in GIS mapping technology, I am not very impressed.  Just my $.02.

Still, they (Garmin) are the best game in town.

2011-01-02 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3272799

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
I have had my Garmin 310 for about a year now and I love it. It's great to be able to download all my splits and HR data to my logs.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22