BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!
Hey Jenny and the group!

My name is Marcus and I am a 25 year old college student going to school full-time at the University of Minnesota.  I have no kids or significant other in my life currently so along with that and my job only requiring one weekend a month I plan on putting as much time as is needed into training.  In my previous life before I came back to Minnesota I was an aircraft maintainer in the Air Force which really helped me with my traveling itch but not so much with my physical fitness.  I am into anything involving aviation, photography and traveling along with rock climbing, touring cycling, soccer and downhill skiing.

I am an active person just not active enough to offset my eating habits.  So one of my goals out of training for these triathlons is to have fun, increase my fitness, hopefully adopt triathlons as a permanent part of my life, meet new people and finally changing my eating and exercise habits to lose weight.  The losing weight part is last in my book, it will happen and I am not going to make any drastic changes, just slow ones I can adopt for the long term.  I am currently gym bound because of our awesome weather in Minnesota so treadmills, stationary bikes and indoor pools will be my life for the foreseeable future.  Swimming is my biggest weakness, I am good at snorkeling, SCUBA and treading water but I don't have any formal training in freestyle.  Other than that I am just looking at increasing my pace for running and the bike leg.

This will be my first season for triathlons and hopefully a productive one.  These are the races that I have pretty much decided on doing and I will add some in later as I see fit.  I am working towards sprint races in the spring/summer and hopefully an olympic length by fall.

• Land Between the Lakes Tri (sprint) in Albert Lea, Minnesota on May 22nd
  • Buffalo Tri (sprint) in Buffalo, Minnesota on June 6th
  • Young Life Fall Classic Duathlon in Lake Elmo, Minnesota on September 17th
I am looking at getting a into a tri in Arizona later in the year and maybe even one in Washington state but we will see where the year takes me.

I can't wait to get into this group, meet some people and gain some knowledge!

2011-01-27 12:36 AM

User image

New user

Oregon
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!
Hi Jenny and group!  I hope you have room for one more person.  I just found this website and I am really excited to connect with some other people who share my goals.

About me...I am a 27 year old college student from Oregon.  I am married with two stepkids.  I was in the army for six years where I was forced to be physically active and now I am trying to find motivation to be active on my own!  Some weight has started to creep on in the last 3 years and I think I need a defined goal to get myself back on track.  I had some knee problems a few years ago and I haven't done a whole lot of running since then.  That will probably be my biggest training challenge.  I am taking a lap swimming class twice a week, hoping to improve my technique and my little cycling experience is almost all indoors.  I have a long way to go...

My goal is to be ready for my first triathlon by June 26, the Portland Iron Girl.  I look forward to working toward that with you all.  Laughing

Tracy
2011-01-27 5:12 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Welcome Marcus & Tracy!

Snow day for the kids today.... my workout for the day is likely to be shoveling. It seems like we get snow once or twice/week this winter, and it's getting a little old! Last winter we had 3 major storms with like 20 or more inches. None of those (yet) this winter, but lots of smaller storms, and lots of delayed school openings, which ends up throwing me off my game. I'm still sort of in "off season" mode, and haven't been training very consistently - but I'm ready to get back to it! The *$%#* weather keeps throwing a wrench in the works, though!!
2011-01-27 9:35 AM

New user

Hi Jenny!  I would love for you to be my mentor.  I am REALLY new to all of this - I am where you were when you first started.  Three kids and overweight . . . I need something like a triathlon to motivate me and keep me focused on a goal.  I don't really know where to begin.

I am 37 years old.  My children are 17, 12 and 6.  I have two jobs and a side business of my own so I am quite busy.  But I need to find time for me in there and I am willing to work hard to reach my goal. 

I look forward to my journey with you.

Jacki
2011-01-27 11:27 AM

New user

Truckee, CA
Hi Jenny,

I'd love to join your group also.  I'm 44 and work FT with a husband and 2 teenagers.  I'm a yo-yo exerciser and need a goal/race to get me motivated to get back in shape.  I was a stay at home for about 10 years and gained a lot of weight, then did a marathon (slowly!) and lost the weight I needed, then did a bunch of sprint tris for a couple of years and got in shape again, then gained weight and started road biking and racing about 6 years ago and again got in the best shape of my life.  Unfortunately, then we moved across country and I started working again and lost all my bike buddies and time to take daily 2 hour rides.  So, I haven't done anything consistent for a couple of years and need to lose about 20-25 lbs to get in fighting shape again.

I'm fast on the bike which is why I originally gave up tris for road racing, a mediocre swimmer, and a slow runner.  I dread the run workouts and run leg no matter what distance.

I've never done an Olympic tri, but I've signed up for the Donner Lake Tri in Truckee, CA (Tahoe area) where I live in order to challenge myself.  It's not until July, so I'll probably do the Auburn, CA sprint as a warmup in late May and run some 5 and 10ks in between. 

I look forward to staying motivated by participating in this group.  It's time for me to get in shape again!

Laura
2011-01-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3323728

User image

Veteran
mn_av8or - 2011-01-26 9:13 PM Hey Jenny and the group!

My name is Marcus and I am a 25 year old college student going to school full-time at the University of Minnesota.  I have no kids or significant other in my life currently so along with that and my job only requiring one weekend a month I plan on putting as much time as is needed into training.  In my previous life before I came back to Minnesota I was an aircraft maintainer in the Air Force which really helped me with my traveling itch but not so much with my physical fitness.  I am into anything involving aviation, photography and traveling along with rock climbing, touring cycling, soccer and downhill skiing.

I am an active person just not active enough to offset my eating habits.  So one of my goals out of training for these triathlons is to have fun, increase my fitness, hopefully adopt triathlons as a permanent part of my life, meet new people and finally changing my eating and exercise habits to lose weight.  The losing weight part is last in my book, it will happen and I am not going to make any drastic changes, just slow ones I can adopt for the long term.  I am currently gym bound because of our awesome weather in Minnesota so treadmills, stationary bikes and indoor pools will be my life for the foreseeable future.  Swimming is my biggest weakness, I am good at snorkeling, SCUBA and treading water but I don't have any formal training in freestyle.  Other than that I am just looking at increasing my pace for running and the bike leg.

This will be my first season for triathlons and hopefully a productive one.  These are the races that I have pretty much decided on doing and I will add some in later as I see fit.  I am working towards sprint races in the spring/summer and hopefully an olympic length by fall.

I am looking at getting a into a tri in Arizona later in the year and maybe even one in Washington state but we will see where the year takes me.

Welcome and Go Gophers!  My cousins live in Mpls and one of them was actually Goldie for a few seasons.  Beautiful new stadium, but the team leaves a bit to be desired!!

I bet with all those lakes that they have some nice triathlons in MN.  I did the Twin Cities Marathon this past October and had a dream the night before that the race was a tri and that I didn't know what lake it started at!  At least I didn't show up to the marathon in my wetsuit!

Ask lots of questions!
Courtney

2011-01-27 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3323728

User image

Regular
Minnesota
mn_av8or - 2011-01-26 9:13 PM Hey Jenny and the group!

Welcome to the group, Marcus. I'm also living in MN and spending lots of time inside working out!  I'm doing the Buffalo Sprint too!
2011-01-27 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
Yeah the Gophers are well... the Gophers but the stadium is nice especially for the Vikings game Laughing.  I am glad to see there are some people from my area in here and I am really looking forward to the Buffalo race, I have only heard good things about it!

I did have a question though, in my training program notes it says something like "add core 1, 2 or 3" at the end.  What in the world does this mean?  Is there some section that has a cheat book on how to read these training log instructions?

Oh yeah and how do you add people as your friends?

Edited by mn_av8or 2011-01-27 1:58 PM
2011-01-27 2:19 PM

Name:  username, wsmittick, real name Wendy

STORY:  I was not athletic growing up except for swimming during the summer, nothing competitive.  After having a baby in my 30s and needing to lose weight, I picked up running and biking.  During the summer months, my husband and I bike 20 miles on Sunday.  I am always trying to lose weight, and my doc last year said I should try a different goal other than just losing weight.  She suggested a tri.  I trained last year for 3 months, and then my gym closed the pool for remodeling.  End of training!!!  I decided to try again this year.  Did exercises to recover from a rotator cuff injury for the past 3 months.   Into full training now.  Swimming is my weakest area, not very fast and even worse with my shoulder not being at 100%.  I am hoping the swimming will help with my shoulder recovery. 

FAMILY STATUS:  45 years old.  Married, 12 year old at home, 4 grown children away from home. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Following a 16-week training program, into week 2 and strength training.

2011 RACE:  Planning on tri in Phoenix on June 11.

2011-01-28 3:35 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Jacki, Laura, & Wendi - welcome! Glad to have you!

To all --

I'm leaving in a few hours for a ski weekend. It's unlikely I'll be on-line any while I'm gone, so I won't be checking in until Sunday or Monday. Have a great weekend, everyone!
2011-01-28 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3323443

User image

I live in Indiana where the snow has been coming down like crazy!!  It does not stop me from running outside but it does force me inside to swim and bike.  I do not belong to a gym as I have my own home gym that has hours that work around my schedule!!  I have a road bike and trainer, treadmill, elliptical, free weights, BOSU trainer, stability ball, pull up bar, etc.  I have been doing the classic p90x program to gain overall strength that I hope will help with my swimming and biking and maybe keep me injury free with my running.  I swim at a nearby high school 2xs a week.  I am working around a 2nd grade schedule, preschool schedule and 3 year old and my husband works an hour away so my schedule is not aligned with the various groups in my area.  I am very driven and dedicated and work well on my own so it does not bother me.  I did take a private swim lesson and my form is fine.   I take about 20 or so laps to feel comfortable with my breathing and the breathing is my biggest struggle.  I would like to take a few more lessons from a tri coach but we have not been able to get our schedules together due to snow and ice school delays and cancellations.  I printed out a tri schedule here to work on but either I don't understand it or it is vague.  I am not sure what exactly I should be doing with my swimming and biking.  It gives a distance to complete but does not say how it should be broken down.  I would like to find more specifics in terms of a 900 yard swim or a 4 mile bike (I do have a cadence computer and use clip pedals and shoes).  I am currently training to race 5ks and February 13th I will start a half marathon training so the running portion of triathlons will be dictated by my race schedule (as I am sure is pretty normal?).

I look forward to working with you and getting this racing season started!!

2011-01-28 4:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hi guys.  I didn't notice the mentor groups opening up again for spring, is there still room?  I will give a little background just in case. 

I have a similar story to most turned 40, 40 pounds overweight, needed something to challenge me.  I started with no backgorund in anything and did first sprint 12/07 and then did an half mary, oly and HIM in 08, full mary, HIM and first IM at Vineman in 09, and full mary and CDA in 2010.  

I crashed my bike in a century 9/10, broke my collarbone  and needed to get it plated.  Between having a pulled calf, hip flexor, back of the right thigh and the colar bone I was out of training for 3 months ouche. For the first time since September I can reach above my head fluidly with the left arm.  

Goals for 2011 include running in the Boston marathon in April and a return to the Full IM distance at Vineman at the end of July.  

Boy getting back in shape has been some work.  I am not there yet, but back up to run 40 miles, bike 50-60 miles and swim 4000 yards per week.  I will try to catch up on posts if there is still room.

Thanks, 
Steve  

Edited by Baowolf 2011-01-28 4:37 PM
2011-01-28 4:41 PM

User image

Is this group open? I would like to join! I signed up for my first tri April 9th, I live in Conroe TX, Ana
2011-01-28 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3327187

User image

Regular
Minnesota
ajbrown - 2011-01-28 12:55 PM  I take about 20 or so laps to feel comfortable with my breathing and the breathing is my biggest struggle.  I would like to take a few more lessons from a tri coach but we have not been able to get our schedules together due to snow and ice school delays and cancellations.  I printed out a tri schedule here to work on but either I don't understand it or it is vague.  I am not sure what exactly I should be doing with my swimming and biking.  It gives a distance to complete but does not say how it should be broken down.  

The free plans at BT are very general, but you can find a variety of swim workouts to plug in at http://blogs.trifuel.com/?cat=1741

Edited by ewengler 2011-01-29 12:40 PM
2011-01-28 4:57 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Courtney, although I'm not officially in the group I could address your question regarding making up a run. 

I don't know the specifics of your training plan, but it looks like the 20 is going to be too much of a jump based on your training, illness etc. 

I have Boston in April and my monthly miles have been 120, 138, 138 and 180 for this month. 
My long runs recently have been 14, 15, 11, 15, 16, 11, 17 this weekend and then it goes 18, 12, 19, 20.

This is an advanced plan, but I am still only adding 1-2 miles to the long run each week with a recovery week every 3 weeks because I am not in my 20s anymore. 

Your long 1/9 was 16 miles followed by a 13 recovery week run.  I would probably treat last week as this weeks recovery run unless you are still sick.  If still sick just take another recovery week (1?2?-?????1?4????????m?i?l?es)? ??I?f? ?y?o?u? ?a?r?e? ?f?e?e?l?l?i?n?g? ?h?e?a?l?t?h?y? ??I? ?m?i?g?h?t? ?t?r?y? ?t?o? ?c?a?t?c?h? ?u?p? ?w?i?t?h? ?t?h?e? ?p?l?a?n? ?a?n?d? ?g?o? ?1?7? ?t?h?i?s? ?w?e?e?k? ?1?8? ?o?r? ?1?9? ?n?e?x?t? ?w?e?e?k? ?t?a?k?e? ?y?o?u?r? ?p?r?o?b?a?b?l?y? ?r?e?c?o?v?e?r?y? ?w?e?e?k? ?o?f? ?1?2? ?m?i?l?e?s? ?a?n?d? ?t?h?e?n? and then hit your 20 the following week.  hit your 20 the following week.

Edited by Baowolf 2011-01-28 4:59 PM
2011-01-28 5:04 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
sorry program bugged. Hit your 20 the following week.  So long runs would look like 16, 13 (last 2 runs), 17, 18, 12, 20, 12, 20.......   With your run vollume the 20 in 9 days is more likely to cause more harm than good and may require more recovery time for the following week than you can afford at this point in your training. 

So in short try to bridge where you are to where you are supposed to be with an intermediate stop or 2 and take the extra recovery week if you need it due to health issues. 

You can wrap your camelback tube in a neopreme sheath so it does not freeze up on you.  Anyway hope we can talk more 8).

2011-01-29 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3322629

Regular
Augusta, GA
ajbrown - 2011-01-26 11:42 AM

Last year while I was training for the New York Marathon I was sidelined by an injury early on so I took up swimming and biking as part of my training.  I am ready to use those new sports to try something that is a little less running - obviously a triathlon!  I cannot afford to hire a tri coach and am new to swimming and biking and could REALLY use direction and advice.  That is why I am here!!

Hey, welcome to the group! If you are new to swimming, check out the drill videos on this website. They're great! I also like the swim workouts in the Winter Maintenance Swim Focus training program. It offers variation and the volume's not huge, but you can always cut the yardage off each set if you want to do a little less. As for running and injury, I had a track muscle injury in hip when I was 16 and it still bothers me! So I take it easy on the running. Compared to running when I often feel beat up, with cycling there's almost no recovery the next day for me. Love that! 2 things that help me make it through runs: a foam roller and gentle stretch yoga class. 
2011-01-29 9:09 AM

Regular
Augusta, GA
Jenny, you asked about my cycling pedals and shoes (re: being uncomfortable on the bike). I do have clipless pedals and good shoes. I've found they fit best when they are tight. I do love my clipless. Now I'm considering putting my road bike back to normal (instead of aero position) for training until at least July, just to see if I can get some of the comfort back that I lost when I switched to aero and bought a new seat...worth a try! Maybe I will bite the bullet and get a tri bike. Anybody else convert a road bike to aero and have thoughts on this? 
2011-01-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3328299

User image

Regular
Minnesota
bdroppleman - 2011-01-29 9:09 AM Jenny, you asked about my cycling pedals and shoes (re: being uncomfortable on the bike). I do have clipless pedals and good shoes. I've found they fit best when they are tight. I do love my clipless. Now I'm considering putting my road bike back to normal (instead of aero position) for training until at least July, just to see if I can get some of the comfort back that I lost when I switched to aero and bought a new seat...worth a try! Maybe I will bite the bullet and get a tri bike. Anybody else convert a road bike to aero and have thoughts on this? 

Hi Beth, I put clip-on aerobars on my road bike last year. Even though I was fitted by my LBS when they put the aerobars on, after I rode it for a while, I needed more adjustments, so I monkeyed around with it myself until it was comfortable. I got some of the people I ride with to look at my position while I was in the act of riding and they gave me suggestions based on what they could see. (I would've gone back to the bike shop if I hadn't had friends who adjusted their own bikes all the time to help me).  I ended up making good adjustments and it was very comfortable--it is amazing what a very small adjustment can do.   Evidently it isn't unusual to have adjust the fit several times before it feels right--whether you have a road bike that you make aero and even if you get a new tri bike, you may need to go back to the bike store for fitting a couple of times. But a new tri bike isn't a bad idea either! (Some good sales about now too) My partner tried to convert his road bike with aerobars and a new seat but he could never adjust it so that his shoulders were in the proper position. The frame is the right size for him as a road bike but the geometry wouldn't work for him in the tri position.
2011-01-29 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3328473

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

Beth,

I agree with ewengler in that getting the correct fit takes a bit of adjusting here and there, then ride and readjust.  I couldn't believe the "science" behind an actual proper bike fit, there are so many bio-mechanics involved.  The most amazing example is having your shoes properly "canted" to fit your pronation/supernation with the pedals.  I know it sounds complicated, but it involves a very simple plastic shim that fits between the cleat and the sole of the bike shoe, and it will eliminate your knee from "rolling" in and out of a single plane as your pedals make a full revolution.  This reduces a lot of discomfort/pain in the knee joint which I thought was caused by running.  The aerobar set up is just as finicky, but also easy to fix.  If you can save up $100 to $200 to have the bike professionally; fit, little shims & spacers installed, shift the seat, and space-out the forearm rests correctly, you will be soooooo much more prepared for the run after the bike.  Best of luck.

Edited by cobratodd 2011-01-29 1:01 PM
2011-01-29 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
All the bike talk is great since I'm pretty much clueless on that!  Actually, the swim talk is too (ditto on the clueless).  I'm run focused (or is it slog focused??) right now....trying to gear up probably too quickly for a 1/2 marathon.  But alas, I'm not afraid of walking the hills .  Did 9 miles this morning -- 2 miles + a local 10K race + 1 mile.  Absolutely perfect running weather.  Problem now is it's still beautiful outside, and I'm too pooped to do much else!  Hope to embrace the biking soon.  Less recovery time sounds very good.

2011-01-29 4:07 PM

New user

I would like to join the discussion.  Planning my first tri this summer in July.  I've been cycling for nearly 20 years but some years less miles than others, so am comfortable on the bike.  but I have not run much in last 20 years.  I am 44.   I am getting into it in order to prep for tri this summer.  Plan to do an entry level for beginners just below Sprint distance (.25 m swim, other distances same as Sprint).  With running, I got a pair of running shoes from a store that specializes in running and have been getting a trainer to provide strength and core excercies as I have been having lower back pain when I run.  I am hoping to alleviate the back pain thru a combination of the shoes that I bought and the core exercises and stretching.  But if you have any other tips for how to reduce back pain when running, appreciate it.  Also I read that it's best not to run on concrete when training, but aside from the tread mill at gym, not sure where else to go.  suggestions? 

2011-01-29 8:53 PM

New user

Do you have room for one more? My name is Jenny and I am a stay at home mom to two boys. I started running mainly as a way to (try) to reclaim my pre-pregnancy body and also a way to help my dog (a very energetic weimaraner) burn off some energy. Over the past few years, running has become so much more than just a cardiovascular exercise, it has become a cheap form of therapy. I used to despise running but somewhere along the way I fell in love. Inspired by my sister and a few of my friends, I decided this is the year I will run a full marathon. I am about 14 weeks away from the race and I think about it all the time. 

I started swimming competitively when I was 9 years old and continued my swimming career into college. After completing 4 years of swimming in college, I walked away from the sport and had a mini identity crisis. For so long, it was a big part of who I was and without swimming, I had to learn to redefine myself. Over the years, the athlete inside of me was lost... I think running has helped me reconnect with my inner athlete and it feels great! In my euphoria, I have signed up for a sprint triathlon in July. I have been running, I have swimming experience, and I own a road bike. It seemed like the next logical step for me to take.

I would love to join your group, to meet other people, and get some advice along the way. I look forward to hearing from you! 
2011-01-29 11:12 PM

User image

New user

Oregon
Since we have been on the topic of bikes, I need some advice.  I don't have a bike right now.  I have just been doing spinning classes so far and using the spinning bikes on my own.  I had a mountain bike in high school that has been sitting in my parents' garage for about ten years.  It was a pretty decent one, although old.  What are your thoughts on having it converted to something usable for this season?  What would that take and how much might it cost?  Or, should I just spring for a new road bike?  I don't have a lot of money, but it might be possible if I beg for it for a birthday present. Smile  How much would a decent road bike cost me?  It wouldn't have to be super nice since I am just a beginner at this but I would want to be able to pass it on to my husband (who isn't interested in racing) when I eventually get serious and want to upgrade.  Thanks for your help!
2011-01-29 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3329043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Road bike all the way. Even if you save a few $$$'S and buy better slightly used instead of new. Try a local bike shop, see if they have trade ins, explain your situation to them, most of the bike shop staff are working there because its their passion and would love to help inform you on the correct size and fit features of a decent road bike. There's very little that you can do to sAve more time and help you be less fatigued than going from a 10 year old MTB to a road bike. Just the energy savings of reducing your rolling resistance by having a thinner road tire.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23