BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-04-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3452210

User image

Ocala
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-OPEN
eliwashere - 2011-04-18 10:16 AM
TriColby - 2011-04-18 7:56 AM

Hey everyone, sounds like you all had a productive weekend as well.  I am officially amping up the workouts.  I have a 5K on Saturday that I am trying to beat my last 5K time, and I am well on the way (last time 26:30 trying to beat 24 minutes this time around).  I ran a 23 minute 5k this weekend with a 13mile bike (48 minutes) and did a sprint on the bike as well for 5 miles in 18 minutes on Saturday, that's what my training had me doing.  Finally got access to a pool, so i start swimming today!  That's what i am the most nervous about since I have never really been a swimmer, but I guess we will see after this afternoon.  Yesterday started my 9 week training plan, 3 swim, 2 bike 3 run and 3-4 strength days a week, and I am pumped.

Also, noticed my real name was not on the list,  I am Colby.

Nice weekend! Take it easy on yourself in the pool if you don't have a swimming background. It can be frustrating, so take it slow and do a lot of floating and breast stroke.

One thing that I think isn't mentioned enough for beginners is breathing. I don't even think it is a matter of getting enough oxygen as it is of the way that you use your chest and diaphragm when you swim. Your arms and core could be in great shape, but if you feel out of breath, it can really make you suffer in the water.

I saw on your logs you did a barefoot run on Wednesday. How long were your calves sore? I ran barefoot for 5 K on Saturday and had the least pain yet. My calves and achilles are finally getting stronger.

I have been practicing my breathing in my pool, it's just too short to actually swim in, so I had to get access to a sport pool which starts today.  I have been getting pretty good at the exhaling steadily, but today i get to practice it in a longer form.  I get to use the 25 meter pool near my work, so it should be useful.  I will be interested to see how all the stuff I have been reading and watching on YouTube translates to the pool.  My training plan says to do 850 yards today, so I am going to try and work on breathing and pacing, and see how it goes.

The barefoot wasn't too bad on my calves, but i did get some crazy blisters.  I have a pair of those Five Finger shoes from Vibram, and they are awesome for regular workouts, and I will wear them when i do sprints on a soccer field, but when i did mileage with them, I got some crazy blisters.  My calves were aching for the rest of the day, similar to when I try and jump rope, lol. You definitely feel the burn.

2011-04-18 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3451679

Hi, all-

Sounds like some good stuff as done by those who have piped up so far.  Great job everyone!

Saturday

Saturday was to be the day of my first run in 2+ years...but alas!  It poured rain all day here in DC. I also did (count em) 12 minutes of yoga before I realized it's not going to be good for a random rotator cuff problem that surfaced about two weeks ago. 

The rotator cuff problem is really a bummer.  I can't do yoga yet... the downward dogs did me in.  I don't even really think I should swim yet...I just have to wait and stretch and ice.  Wait and stretch and ice.  Wait and stretch and ice...

Sunday's achievements:

*found my shoes

*found my watch

*found my running socks

*found that my workout pants still fit

*3.5 mile run with a jogger...the first 5 minutes my legs felt like dead logs, but it got better.  

*P90 Ab Ripper X...it was a bloodbath, but it's a start

ONWARD!

Tanya

2011-04-18 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3452765

User image

Master
mywaterfront - 2011-04-18 12:34 PM

Sunday's achievements:

*found my shoes

*found my watch

*found my running socks

*found that my workout pants still fit

*3.5 mile run with a jogger...the first 5 minutes my legs felt like dead logs, but it got better.  

*P90 Ab Ripper X...it was a bloodbath, but it's a start

ONWARD!

Tanya

Tanya,

Way to come back from adversity! I was riding in the rain on Saturday, it wasn't pretty!

I have heard the p90X ab ripper is a killer! I may have to try it sometime. Congrats on the run. I re-started my running career pushing a jogging stroller, and it was a blast.

Sorry about the rotator cuff. I hurt mine once, and it took a while to get better. Whenever I get hurt, I always look for exercises or workouts I can do that will strengthen that part, or the associated area to support it for when I am healthy again. Not sure what you can do about the rotator cuff though.

Keep up the ice, it works wonders!

2011-04-18 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3452788

Eli-

Yes, exercises to strengthen my should muscles will be next.  I want to get it to be a little more flexible first. 

I'm struggling to figure out what I should do work out wise for cardio.  I wanted to do something today, but I don't want to run two days in a row (i'm a little creaky), and I can't freestyle swim.  I don't own a bike yet...any thoughts on how I can get my heart rate up without engaging my shoulder or running?  I'm blanking on this...

Tanya

2011-04-18 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3451701

User image

Master
chmoore2 - 2011-04-17 10:20 PM

This past year has been really tough with my sinuses and when I think back it really started last spring when I started swimming consistently. I am going to start using a nose clip to see if that helps, a bunch of resources on-line state that swimming can cause sinus issues. With my already crappy sinus this could be pushing me over the edge.

Charlie, here are the two threads I read about it. They make a few suggestions that sound worth trying:

Sinus After a Pool Swim

Side effects of Morning Swim

2011-04-18 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3452895

User image

Master
mywaterfront - 2011-04-18 1:14 PM

Eli-

Yes, exercises to strengthen my should muscles will be next.  I want to get it to be a little more flexible first. 

I'm struggling to figure out what I should do work out wise for cardio.  I wanted to do something today, but I don't want to run two days in a row (i'm a little creaky), and I can't freestyle swim.  I don't own a bike yet...any thoughts on how I can get my heart rate up without engaging my shoulder or running?  I'm blanking on this...

Tanya

Tanya,

Depends on what not engaging the shoulder means. Can you do dumbell curls? I often use a step and dumbells to get my HR up without the pounding of running.

And of course, you can walk stairs! Let gravity give you a workout. In fact, walking up steep inclines even uses some of the same muscles as running, without the pounding.

I will try to think of some others as well.

2011-04-18 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3452905

Ah, stairs.  Probably a really good idea.  And boy, doesn't that sound like fun! Not!

Thanks

2011-04-18 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3452905

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2011-04-18 2:18 PM
mywaterfront - 2011-04-18 1:14 PM

Eli-

Tanya

Tanya,

Depends on what not engaging the shoulder means. Can you do dumbell curls? I often use a step and dumbells to get my HR up without the pounding of running.

And of course, you can walk stairs! Let gravity give you a workout. In fact, walking up steep inclines even uses some of the same muscles as running, without the pounding.

I will try to think of some others as well.

You may laugh at this, but try some power yoga, just the leg poses.  It may take a fair amount of adjusting since you can't do up dog/down etc, but all those warrior poses and such can be brutal.

Not sure if you have access to a gym, but the elliptical works for some people.  My HR gets really high doing kettlebell swings, but that my be too much shoulder.

2011-04-18 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

Parker, CO

Hi Eli -Would like to join your group.

NAME: Mark Leaverton

STORY:
Was a coach potato until last August. Saw an old Ironman Kona on TV and became inspired. I had never worked out a lick for probably 20 years (I'm 42) and weighed 250 (I'm 6'7"). I joined a gym and hit it hard. I ran my 1st 5K in late September (weight was down to 230), came in at 36 minutes. Did a few more 5K's late last year (time down to 26 minutes, weight down to 218 by then). Bought myself a road bike for Christmas. Did a "indoor tri" at Lifetime Fitness in early March (came in 17th in Masters). I am ready for the season to start here in Colorado! Running is by far my worst discipline.

FAMILY STATUS:
  Married, almost 13 years.  Have 2 kids, 6 year old boy and almost 3 year old girl

CURRENT TRAINING:
  Following a BT plan, 6 days a week. Am really bad about posting in my log, will try to change ths

2011 RACES:

Mile High Mile, fun race, 4/17/11   my mile time: 8:01

Cherry Creek Sneak, 5/1/11

Boulder Sunrise Sprint Tri, 6/4/11

Creek Streak Sprint Tri

Rattlesnake Sprint Tri

Parker Frenzy Sprint Tri

Haven't decided on others yet....

2011-04-19 6:53 AM

User image

Ocala

Well, the first day in the pool was a bit disheartening to say the least.  I really had no idea how hard it would be, I guess I just psyched myself up for the swim part.  It didn't help that it was busy there either I am sure, I was a little to worried about looking like a douche.  I could really only get about 25 meters every time before I had to stop and catch my breath, and my breathing was horrible.  I don't think I was rotating enough, and so sometimes i would just take a mouthful of water.  Needless to say, I have some serious work to do in the pool.  Any pointers would work wonders at this point, and I think I am going to try and find a coach or something, because it was far harder than I thought t would be.  My complete lack of swimming experience was shining bright.

I had to feel better about the whole thing so i went home and blasted out a 16 minute 2 miler to make myself feel better, lol, so I guess I will try and stick with the bike and swim for my first race and just try and get through the swim.  Here's to hoping 8 weeks can get me through 750 meters with some energy left.

2011-04-19 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3454133

User image

Griffin, Georgia
TriColby - 2011-04-19 7:53 AM

Well, the first day in the pool was a bit disheartening to say the least.  I really had no idea how hard it would be, I guess I just psyched myself up for the swim part.  It didn't help that it was busy there either I am sure, I was a little to worried about looking like a douche.  I could really only get about 25 meters every time before I had to stop and catch my breath, and my breathing was horrible.  I don't think I was rotating enough, and so sometimes i would just take a mouthful of water.  Needless to say, I have some serious work to do in the pool.  Any pointers would work wonders at this point, and I think I am going to try and find a coach or something, because it was far harder than I thought t would be.  My complete lack of swimming experience was shining bright.

I had to feel better about the whole thing so i went home and blasted out a 16 minute 2 miler to make myself feel better, lol, so I guess I will try and stick with the bike and swim for my first race and just try and get through the swim.  Here's to hoping 8 weeks can get me through 750 meters with some energy left.

I was on swim team in high school but that was 19+ years ago.  When I got back in the pool this past December I swam 25m, thought I was going to die and thought this sure is harder than I remember.  I swam 2500m continuous freestyle about a week ago.  Sooo, rest assured that with some good practice it will come.

The most important thing about swimming is to relax.  To help you relax, try doing some glides.  Push off the wall and glide like superman as far as you can.  Then push off the bottom and do it again.  Repeat until you make it to the end.  Do this for 50-100 m  at the start to just get yourself to feel the water floating you.  I still do this almost everytime before I start.

Some people may disagree but I really like the total immersion videos that you can find here on BT.  I have been trying to swim in that style and it seems to be working.

Try using active recovery.  If you can do sidestroke or elementary backstroke you can use those to let yourself catch some air.  Your head is out of the water on both.  I read somewhere to swim 5 lengths with the recovery stroke and 1 length free.  Then as you feel ready to go to 4 and 2 until you can do all of your swim that way.  Then 3/3, 2/4, etc.  The key is to keep swimming. 

When I started back swimming I began doing 25m free, 25m elementary backstroke and I could just keep swimming this way.  I then got to where I could do 50m free, 25m elem back.  Then 75m free, 25m elem back.  Then I started being able to swim 200-300m free at the start and then the 75m free/25m elem back for the rest of the way.  Then one day it just happened.  I hit 200m and was not tired.  Hmmm. 300m, not tired.  400m not tired.  OMG!!!  Just kept going and ended up swimming 850m.  That happened March 27.  I have been swimming continuous free since then.

I have my son doing this (he is 18 and going to do his first tri with me on my first tri on April 30th) and I have him swimming 700m every time he gets to the pool.  That is 100m further than the swim we will do on race day.  He is swimming the first 50 free, then 12.5m elem back and 37.5m free.  This is helping him get the feel of switching strokes while continuing to swim.  Sometimes he gets in another full 50 free and the other day he actually did 75m free.  He has been a little slack on making it to the pool.  At best he gets in 2 days a week but that is rare.  I am lucky to get him there 1 day a week.  When he started he could only swim about 4-5 strokes without stopping.  He had to learn to breath while swimming.  I was wondering if he would be ready.  He will get through the swim now and I know it.

Hope this helps a little.  Good luck with it.

2011-04-19 8:43 AM

Colby-

I have yet to hit the pool, but even though I swam in high school for four years and have always been a strong swimmer I know it's going to suck. 

I also know it's going to get better fairly (and I mean after a session or two of really sucking wind just so hard) get better. 

There was a point where I swam in graduate school (so maybe 4 years ago) and I was shocked at how tough it was the first time (ok, two times) but then it came back.  You'll get there, it's just that the first hurdle is pretty high.

For me, I'm probably going to even look around to see who is doing a stroke training class...even though I swam competitively at one time I'm still going to look for some help to establish some good habits now.  Bill's advice sounded really good as well to start slow and build up to full lengths and then capacity.

You can do it!

Tanya

2011-04-19 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3453188

Thanks for all the suggestions...I will put them in my idea stockpile.

I ended up doing P90X Cardio X workout...modified where my shoulder couldnt/shouldn't take it.  It was a fine compromise. 

I might try the pool today with a kickboard for a half hour...ah, tedium.  However, it would force me to cross the "find the swimsuit" hurdle.

It's all about small goals.

Happy Tuesday!

2011-04-19 9:08 AM

User image

Ocala

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I am a terribly competitive person, which is why I think i will do well in triathlon, so i was pretty annoyed at myself yesterday, but I am trying to look at it as a challenge rather than a problem.  If nothing else, I have a very specific goal to try and accomplish before June, so that will really motivate me to get in the pool as much as possible.  

Bill:  Thanks for the warm up drill ideas, that sounds like it may really help me get settled before trying to do any sort of workout.  I am really going to try and take advantage of the 3 days a week I am allowed in the pool.  Theoretically that's 24 hours of pool time before my first race, so I will at least be better off then I am now.  

Thanks again everyone.

2011-04-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3454427

User image

NH
TriColby - 2011-04-19 10:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  I am a terribly competitive person, which is why I think i will do well in triathlon, so i was pretty annoyed at myself yesterday, but I am trying to look at it as a challenge rather than a problem.  If nothing else, I have a very specific goal to try and accomplish before June, so that will really motivate me to get in the pool as much as possible.  

Bill:  Thanks for the warm up drill ideas, that sounds like it may really help me get settled before trying to do any sort of workout.  I am really going to try and take advantage of the 3 days a week I am allowed in the pool.  Theoretically that's 24 hours of pool time before my first race, so I will at least be better off then I am now.  

Thanks again everyone.

Sounds like you're all set, but I'll one more for encouragement.  After I signed up for my first tri, I jumped in the lake to swim and literally freaked out when my face went into the water. I couldn't put my face under water at all.  After about 10 strokes I was done, and didn't feel there was any way I'd manage a 500 yard ocean swim in 6 weeks.

I agree that the Total Immersion videos are great for learning to relax in the water and breath properly.  I got the videos and used the drills and the concepts and by the time the tri came I was absolutely fine with the swim portion.

You will do great.  8 weeks is a lot of time to get relaxed in the water.  And remember that the real race starts on the bike!

2011-04-19 10:26 AM

User image

South Florida

Nick checking in here. Been busy with work this week and getting ready for the Honeymoon this weekend. Can't wait to get away.  I had a good easy 3 mile run last night. I plan on taking it easy the next 3-4 weeks. Party due to being on the honeymoon for the next 2 weeks. So training will be little. But i can't wait to get to Kona, Hawaii and run on Ali'i drive. I'll be sure to post some photos. Once i get back, it's back to training. Can't wait to be back on schedule and not on this sporadic s/b/r i've been doing.

2011-04-19 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3453926

User image

Master
mleaverton - 2011-04-18 10:10 PM

Hi Eli -Would like to join your group.

NAME: Mark Leaverton

Mark,

Welcome to the group. Sounds like you have a bunch of races coming up!

2011-04-19 6:14 PM

User image

Master

Colby, I agree with above. Get in and float, play and splash.

I know that I alternated freestyle and breast stroke as I got myself back into swimming. Breast may be slow, but you are still moving, and still getting some muscles worked on.

Keep it up!

2011-04-19 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3451101

User image

Carmel
thanks-drying off worked ok-adrenaline helps-the knee warmers would have worked well-thanks
2011-04-19 8:04 PM

User image

Master

Tanya, how is that shoulder feeling. I have heard the p90X workouts are great.

Mark, between you and Nick V, we may qualify as having the tallest triathletes around! Nick is about 6 ft 5.

I didn't do my planned workout today, but did get in an easy 3 miles with my wife. Felt good to do something!

2011-04-19 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3455656

User image

South Florida
THUNDERTHIGHS AND CLYDESDALES STAND UP!!!

2011-04-19 9:02 PM

User image

Regular

Youtube should be your best friend. Swim smooth gives good examples and downloading the Mr. Swim smooth from there website its an app that shows good freestyle form with different angles and stroke rates. I was in the same boat you are, gains will come slowly and only being able to do only 25 will go away. a coach would help for sure, you'd be surprised how quickly you can make gains with someone watching you and correcting your form as you go, also this way you won't reinforce bad habits. I spent some time around 400-600 M then finally had to force myself to get up to 800 and then 1,000 m now I'm usually 1,000-1200. You'll get there, just be patient and work on form as much as you can.

2011-04-19 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3454643

User image

Regular
getting into one of my 3 day slumps but have a workout planned for thursday so that will be good. final exams this week for school so that doesn't help. Going this saturday to work with rubberbanding my shoes to the bike for T1 practice going to buy a huge bag of rubberbands and go to a parking lot near my neighborhood, should be fun! Gonna work on the flying mount and dismount which I'm already pretty good at being comfortable on the bike from racing BMX and mountain biking.
2011-04-19 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3455722

User image

Parker, CO

nvalaitis - 2011-04-19 7:48 PM THUNDERTHIGHS AND CLYDESDALES STAND UP!!!

I am indeed a Clyde. At 6'7" I need some advantage over all those little speedy guys, LOL.

2011-04-20 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3455746

User image

Ocala
grownassman161 - 2011-04-19 10:02 PM

Youtube should be your best friend. Swim smooth gives good examples and downloading the Mr. Swim smooth from there website its an app that shows good freestyle form with different angles and stroke rates. I was in the same boat you are, gains will come slowly and only being able to do only 25 will go away. a coach would help for sure, you'd be surprised how quickly you can make gains with someone watching you and correcting your form as you go, also this way you won't reinforce bad habits. I spent some time around 400-600 M then finally had to force myself to get up to 800 and then 1,000 m now I'm usually 1,000-1200. You'll get there, just be patient and work on form as much as you can.

Thanks guys, I have been watching YouTube videos to watch for form and breathing techniques, it was just trickier than i thought to implement.  I am back in the pool today, and I am going to try and concentrate on breathing and gliding.  I will let you all know how it goes.  Thanks again for all the encouragement, I appreciate it.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20