BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-04-08 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3436299

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Open
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-08 10:09 AM
mwp1054 - 2011-04-07 5:33 PM

Welcome Ellen!  We were all exactly where you are right now.  Some are right there with you.  We'll do everything we can to help make this first tri a success, and hopefully the first of many more.  Smile

I'm not personally familiar with that Joel Friel plan, but I am coached by Training Bible Coaching, in which Joel is a partner, and have had the pleasure of meeting him this January when he was in town for a meeting with my coach.  He's incredibly knowledgeable, and I would say if he wrote it, the plan is solid.  If you'd like to review parts of it with us and seek input, I'd be more than happy to help you customize it or modify it to your needs.  That's the thing about all programs, only you will know what you need for sure.  You have to listen to your body, good and bad, and be honest with yourself.  If you put in the work, race day will be a blast!

I really enjoy that book by Friel, especially his mentality that the only goal for your first triathlon should be to cross the finish line with a smile on your face! Okay, personally I believe in the multiple-goal program, but that is the only one that really matters for me in this first race. I've set optimistic time-goals for myself for each discipline and for the total race, but those are secondary to finishing & having fun.

That is my main goal: to finish in one piece and have a great time doing it!  Of course, if I happen to beat a brother or sister or two (there are 6 of us doing it) that would be even better!

2011-04-08 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3436410

Veteran
kathy caribe - 2011-04-08 10:49 AM

Here are the questions:

1.  Are you using any sort of training plan or just working as you go?

EVERYONE says to GET A PLAN but I'm dragging my feet because I just can't find one that works for me.  I guess I must be "speshul".    So, I've made it all up on my own.  right now I'm doing 160-250 km of cycling with 1x 90 (or 60), 1x 60 and 2 x 40km/week.  I have been doing BarryP's running plan and will plateau here in April with 20, 40, 20, 40, 20, 60 minute runs 6-7x week and swimming is entirely dependent on the sea.  I had a good February but March sucked with the sea and April is starting out the same way.  I might be forced to swim in the pool (10m) today.  I was a fish as a kid though so swimming is not something I'm worried about.  I would say I shoot for 6000-8000 m/week.

2.  Do you have an idea of what kind of mileage you are running weekly?

I spent 2 years chasing chronic calf tears trying to do Hal Higedon's program so now I've drunk BarryP's Koolaid and I only do minutes.  I am going to plateau at 200 minutes this month (each week) and work in increasing again in May just before I taper.

3.  What kind of 5k pace do you currently run?

Not exactly sure, but my only triathlon (Sprint 13-march) was about a 6m/km (10 m/mile) and I was running and limping. 

4.  Do you have any idea of how far you can swim, and what your T Pace would be (T Pace is your pace per 100m for a 1000m swim).

Only triathlon was a 2:00 min/100 m average (but we were going upcurrent 1/2 the swim and into breakers the other 1/2 - out to sea, back to shore, up (against strong current) upriver. 

5.  What sort of web sites do you frequent for "how to" videos?

Um, none.

About me - I 'm 50 and have 4 kids and we live in Mexico.  My swim workouts are in the Caribbean (warm, but dodging cuddas, rays and whatever else feels like visiting - 2 recent shark attacks 80km away), bike is along the carretera (only place to ride as we're limited with pavement) and run is a 3km loop jungle trail. 

March training was:

Bike:28h 12m 45s  - 857.12 KM
Run:7h 04m  -
Swim:19477 M

and right now I'm around 10-12 hours/week (about 3 more if I can get swimming in).  I have a HIM I'm a little freaqued out about on 5-Jun and an IM on end November. 

My athletic background is I was a fish as a kid (8-20ish) and on a whim with no training did a HIM in the early 80s.  That was about the end of athletics for me but I kind of got into centuries and cycling in the early 90s.  by the mid 90s I was pregnant and popping the kids out and ballooned up and about 2 years ago decided to finally get rid of the 'baby' weight and lost 15 kg.  I still have probably another 10kg to go.  I started walking 2 years ago - that led to running which led to chronic calf tears which led to cross training and in November of last year I started cycling for the first time in about 20 years.  I found a local sprint triathlon on 13-march of this year and was very happy with my performance - training since November and I was 4th woman out of the water and still ended up beating 1/2 the female field after pulling something in my leg and limping the entire run.  I was 2nd in my AG (my goal was to take my AG and I would have had it not been for injury) and 60th out of 150 so I figure I'm doing at least SOMETHING right in my training but now I'm really scared I won't be ready for the HIM.  The HIM is really only a tester as I am really gunning for the IM.  Just to finish - but to finish without wanting to die. 

So races planned are HIM 5-Jun (we will start from the island Cortes reportedly landed on and swim to shore) and then the Cozumel IM 27ish November.

Oops just found the other question. 

Q: WHAT IS YOUR KEY WORKOUT(S) THIS WEEKEND AND HOW WILL YOU APPROACH THESE?

MY ANSWER:   Um, dunno?  Wow.  I feel like the teacher just gave me a pop quiz and I forgot to read the chapter.  Um, well, Saturday is 60km bike and 20 min run and Sunday is 40 min run and 2100 yd swim but my long ride is Monday (90km) and long run was today (60 min) so I'm not sure if you're talking about long workouts or just giving us an exercise.  At any rate, um, can you call on Ellen? - I'm SURE she read the chapter.    Um, well, um, I am at a loss.  Can I get a makeup quiz?    I'll think on this. 

Lol!  Funny girl! 

2011-04-08 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3436230

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-08 11:31 AM 

Hey Denise! I would love to pick your brain. I'm pretty excited to see some Minnesotan's on here! Immediate questions re: Chain of Lakes:
1) What is the transition area like? (is it 1 transition area for T1 & T2?)
2) How hilly are the "rolling hills" on the cycle? I'm heading out to ride the route a week from tomorrow, so I'll actually be able to answer that question myself soon.
3) for the swim I'm worried that I didn't put myself in the right time-estimate when I registered. I picked the 12-14 minute and I'm getting close, but I'm still probably more like 15-16 minutes...do they care if you mis-juged your pace a little?

1. The transition area is the same for T1 and T2 (I believe that's true for all tris - at least all the ones I've done).  You run out the pool door and across some grass to the transition area.  You will run across a timing mat between the pool door and transition area.  The "bike out", "bike in" and "run out" are on the other side of the transition area.  There isn't a "run in" in the transition area because the finish line is a little ways away by the front doors of the school.  If you're facing the school, there is a large parking lot to your left and a smaller parking lot to your right.  The parking lot to your right is the transition area - there will be a temporary fence around it at race time.  When you rack your bike on race day, make sure you walk around and know where the "bike out" , "bike in", etc are.  They will be marked.  It's a small race so knowing where to go isn't really a problem, but in a larger race, it could lose you time.

2.  The "rolling hills" aren't bad - nothing really steep.  There's also about a 3 mile stretch on a trail that is totally flat.  The problem last year was that it was extremely windy.  One stretch of rolling hills had a strong head-on wind and that made it really tough.  It's great that you're checking out the route ahead of time.  It will save you a lot of grief.  Last year a woman a ways ahead of me missed a turn (even tho there were volunteers at the turn) and had to backtrack.

3.  There are 8 lanes and 2-4 swimmers per lane.  They try to group the heats by time but they don't divide out perfectly so there is some overlap from heat to heat.  A little before your heat is to start, the race director's wife gathers your heat and gets your best estimate for time to assign people to the lanes with similar times.  So the heat assignments are made and listed before the race but the lane assignments are made just before your heat swims.  If there's 3 or more per lane, you circle swim.  If a person behind you wants to pass, he tickles your foot and you stop at the wall and let him go by.  So, if you're closer to 16", you could email the website and give them a new time estimate or, if you're borderline, just tell them that when they're assigning lanes.  Remember - race day adrenaline may have you swimming faster than you normally would.

Another thought - if it's a cool/windy day, you'll probably want to put on something long-sleeved after the swim for the bike leg.  I put a bunch of BodyGlide on my arms and shoulders before the swim and it worked really really well - otherwise, it can be really hard to put long sleeves on a damp/wet body.

You are going to have a great time,

Denise

2011-04-08 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3436545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
SYR44 - 2011-04-08 1:55 PM

Mark -

Would love some tips on transitions. Don't know even where to start!

a bag? a mat? lace locks? How do I quickly get off my wetsuit?

Also, I just bought my "race day" shoes (the new funky-looking Asics Gel-Noosa tri 6), but I am still w/o a trisuit or a wetsuit for the race on 5/22. Suggestions? I know Xterra wetsuits are popular, but I'm trying to go the free route for my first race. As for the trisuit underneath, not sure what to go with.

Thanks for the help!

- Brian

I just got Gel Noosas a couple months ago.  They're not my favorite running shoes but I run in them once in a while so I can wear them for sprints because they are so totally cool.

Denise

(IMG_0306.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0306.JPG (80KB - 6 downloads)
2011-04-08 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3436871

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Subject: RE: Key Workouts This Weekend

mwp1054 - 2011-04-08 3:26 PM Is 75 your base RPM or did you select that for some other reason? 

That is my base.  I have a friend who has been a competetive cyclist and done some coaching and has looked at my training plan and tried to incorporate some workouts.  He started me out with a few high-cadence workouts with a couple of sets of 110 RPM for 5 minutes with 5 minutes active recovery in between.  Then he had me do some base training of 75 RPM for 30 minutes for a week, and this week upped it to 40 minutes.

I am not convinced he knows what is best for the type of racing and level of fitness I will require versus the type he has done - but I figured at least it was a plan to start with.

I would welcome any guidance, because at this point I think cycling may be my limiter.

2011-04-08 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3437056

User image

Great details on the race.  I've never done one with an indoor swim.  They do have point to point tris where T1 and T2 are different.  Makes it a bit more challenging from a prep standpoint.

2011-04-08 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3437071

User image

Subject: RE: Key Workouts This Weekend
I'm about done for the evening as I have a decent workout in the AM.  I'd say in general, you should strive for a bit higher base cadence.  85 would be solid, 80 at minimum.  Generally higher cadence is efficient and allows you to go faster with less strain, leaving you in better shape for the run.  High cadence on bike leads to high run cadence too.  If you can hold 90+ easily, even better.  Play with it some on your workout tomorrow and see how it feels.  If you go a little faster with a little less gear you'll likely feel better.
2011-04-08 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3434820

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-08 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3286171

Hi - my name is Kimberly, here is my story.  I am happily married, havee two children, 6 and 9, and am a stay at home mom, although it doesn't seem like I am home much.  My tipsy 35 yr old self thought that my 40 yr old self might have a hard time turning 40, so she promised (verbally) one night in front of all around to do the triathlon that is held every summer at her lake house in Okoboji, Iowa so she would at least be in shape(some of them do this tri every year I might add) .  Well those five years flew by! Now I used to run like 25 yrs ago, and I am somewhat active so at first, basically,  I didn't want to eat crow, so I started researching how to train so I wouldn't kill myself.  I did not have any weight to lose or major health issues (thyroid disease and tendonitis of right shoulder)  so I chose what I thought would be the easiest plan - couch potato, and added 6 weeks to it.  I have been training since Feb and the race is July 16.  I now realize there is a whole lot more to this than following a plan, and I also not only want to finish, but finish in less than 12 hrs.  I have been running and biking, but I have not started swimming and I know I needed  to a month ago.  This tri is a strange bird it seems.  .7 mi swim, 18.8 mi bike and 5.5 run.  I am up to 4 mi run (on my long run) and 10 mi bike (long) and 0 swim.  I grew up swimming in this lake and pools as well, but I have never officially learned how to swim I guess.  so I am very interested in joining a group for many reasons.  I don't know how any of this works, but so far this site has been very helpful and basically my only training tool.  Let me know if you are interested in letting me participate.  Thanks, Kimberly from Monticello Il      
2011-04-08 10:58 PM
in reply to: #3436890

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
mwp1054 - 2011-04-08 5:44 PM

We're all a little certifiable.  I went from 5k to Ironman in an season, just based on the fact that I figured if I was going to jump back in, might as well jump in the deep end. 

So from all of your stuff, I'd be more worried that you're way ahead of schedule, and need to make sure that you don't overtrain yourself, particularly in light of the chronic calf issue.  That, and I need to learn how to convert Kilometers to miles as I have you, a Cannuck, and a Brit all throwing out kilometers and Celsius temps, and I'm not so sharp on that!  Just seriously, make sure you're not overdoing it.  If your HR gets elevated beyond the norm during workouts and stuff, that's a sign to watch your volume.  Improvements happen during your rest weeks too, so you have to work those in.

As far as nutrition, it's more important than all your other training.  Bad plan and you'll have the worst day of your life.  I believe in "no solids" for HIM and IM distance.  If you look at the science of your body, you are in survival mode when doing an IM, not as much at HIM.  If you start shoving solids down your gullet, you are overriding your body's survival mode.  That is not smart.  YOu need to figure out how many calories per hour you can survive on, and more importantly, YOUR BODY CAN ACTUALLY ABSORB.  I strongly suggest anyone doing a HIM or IM read the Hammer nutrtion guide online.  I don't much use their products, but the way they break down the science is incredible.  I do believe in their Endurolytes tablets.  I take them religiously when doing long training.

I'm also a big Cytomax fan, but I don't believe it's great as a primary fuel.  I use it as a secondary drink for two reasons.  Knock down lactic acid, but also to have something that tastes different from my primary drink.  Things start to taste funny after a long day out there, so it's nice to have a change of pace to keep things lively.  I think Gatorade Endurance, Power Bar's IM product, and Infinit have much better hydrating properties.  You also have to be very careful if using GU chomps, as they are great, but they are very highly concentrated and you have to take water with them, not sports drink.  They can actually start to pull water into your stomach from the high concentrations, working against you.  Spend as much time as you can figuring that out now, as nutrition is the 4th discipline, and on a hot day, far and away the most important.

For IM, we'll have to talk about your special needs bags too.  That's a whole new conversation.

Wow, I'm already reaping huge benefits from this group.  Thansks so much!  I can only get Cytomax (muled) or Poweraid or Gatorade here.  Those are my only choices.  For calories I can get GU gels.  AFter reading the Hammer booklet I think I'm understanding there are 3 components?  Liquid/electroreplaement during the event AND calories (ie. CYtomax and Gel) during the event and then recovery (soy milk for me ) afterwards?  That hammer booklet is amazing!

I can easily add miles to my posts (but not the logs) so no worries there but really, join the 21st century already, United States. 

Again, thank you SO much! 

2011-04-08 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3434293

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

Mark can i still join the group?

I actually dont have any triathlons planned until sept and it's a sprint.  Both my triathlons have hit the fan.  Escape from Alcatraz was cancelled due to construction  on the golden gate bridge, and a buddies wedding terminates my plans for Pacific Crest Long course. However I'm planning on many running events and probably squeezing in my cycling clubs century.  Is it still ok to join even tho im not in true tri training mode?

Im 24 years of age.  Persuing my post graduate degree in physical therapy.  I live in california and have been involved with tri's for a few seasons.  I have done everything from sprints to HIM. My passion lies in mountain bike riding and trail running.  I havent done a road race in years, and just recently signed up for a half marathon on the road.  I love the outdoors, fishing, and ALL sports.  Wathcing sports, playing sports, anyhting active.

I'm currently using Hal Higdons 1/2 marathon training plan.  I then believe i will transition into his spring running plan, and then into his Marathon plan.

20-30

6:40? I have not run a road 5k in over two years, although my temp runs tend to be around 7:00 for 30 min or so, so i think it would be close to that.

4.  Do you have any idea of how far you can swim, and what your T Pace would be (T Pace is your pace per 100m for a 1000m swim).

2:00-2:10

I get most my help from BT, Trifuel, Hal Higdon, You tube

Edited by linfieldpt 2011-04-08 11:24 PM

2011-04-08 11:36 PM

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

My main training session will be tomorrow. 10.5 mile trail run at annadel state park.

Races 2011 and Goals

*Annadel State Park Half Marathon Trail Run  (enjoyment)

*Wine Country Century (enjoyment)

*Windsor Town Green Half Marathon (<1:35)

*Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage 186 mile Ultra Relay (Sub 26 hrs)

*Santa Rosa 1/2 Marathon (1:30 ish)

*Ukiah Sprint Triathlon (<1:50)

*California International Marathon (<3:10

Mark,

The main reasons I chose your group was the fact that you went from 5k to IM in one year.  That would not be advised by 90% of people IMHO.  Im trying to go to BQ in one year not ever having run a marathon (up to 25k).  I think you will give me realistic guidance and benchmarks that will help me progress.  I also need help with HR zones.  I have just gotten a Garmin 305 and need to learn how to train in the correct zones.  I was an exercise science major so i should be able to get it correctly done with your guidence

Thanks!

Edited by linfieldpt 2011-04-08 11:38 PM
2011-04-09 5:39 AM

Subject: RE: Welcome New Members

Welcome to Tsimone, Kimberly, and linfieldpt.

You're all more than welcome regardless of when your first race is.  All three of you have very interesting backgrounds and reasons for being here and hopefully we can all help each other out. 

linfield, good luck on your run this morning. 

Tsimone and kimberly, what I had asked everyone to do is hone in on one of your workouts for this week or weekend, and define it as a key workout.  That is, a workout that you will spend a little extra time before and during, to focus on exactly what you are going to get out of it.  What will your keys be?

My example: Today I have masters swim (4500m - 90 min) and it is followed by a 60 minute run.  30 minutes of that run is in HR Z3, which begins to push me close to lactate threshold (glad to talk about this with the group if anyone wants to learn, incredibly valuable).  So I'm finishing a rest week which is very hard to do for a warped ultra distance junkie.  So to me, this is my only chance to have a longer, harder session this week.  Mentally I will focus during swimming on the mantra strong/fast = smooth.  Whenever I see strong or fast on the board, I have to remind myself to be smooth and easy, don't fight the water during the pull portion of the stroke.  My upper body strength cannot "power" me through the water like my legs can on the bike and run.  It works against me if I pull too hard.  For the run, working in that HR zone can be a bit uncomfortable.  Z2 is nice and you can go forever.  Z3 my goal will be to get in that zone and hang there, focus on nice fast turnover of my feet, keep my cadence up at 87-88, and count my cadence in my head every few minutes, not just rely solely on my Garmin footpod to do it, that's lazy.  I expect to deliver a mentally happy triathlete on the other side of this workout, who no longer feels like he's been in a cage all week.

NOW EVERYONE GET OUT THERE AND TRAIN HARD TODAY!!!!!!!!!

2011-04-09 6:26 AM

If any of you have not seen this, it's a great laugh to start your training day.  It's someone training for an Ironman having a conversation with someone who is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03dFMG8nR4

2011-04-09 7:56 AM

México City
Hi, my name is Francisco, I'm from Mexico City and I want to join your group.I'm 46 years old, married with Carolina that she is my best cheerleader. We have two teenagers, I'm 6"3' and weight 220 pounds. My favorite sport is mountain bike, and I have done it for the last 15 years. My brother inlaw did the Ironman in Cozumel last November and he is the responsible to introduce me into the triathlon world. I did my first Sprint Triathlon last March and I did it in 1:48, it wasn't the best time but I loved this multisport as a way to keep my body and mind healthy, so I'm planning to continue with this and improve my time. My new goal is to do an Olimpyc next March with some other Sprints inbetween as a training.Today I am concentraining in lower my weight as I felt very heavy in the Sprint and usually, when I do a lot of exercise I keep my weight or some times increase it. Friends told me that this is because I'm converting fat into muscle.I will love to join your group to learn how to do exercise and lose weight and also to get the best training plans to achieve my Olimpyc Triathlon.Best RegardsFrancisco
2011-04-09 9:14 AM

CO

I just have to say that I'm really inspired to see what everybody else is working towards in this group.  I think this is going to be just what I needed for motivation! 

Unfortunately I just found out about a conflict for my sprint tri on May 22nd.  Now I'm planning on the signing up for two local sprint tri's on May 15th and June 4th, in addition to the June 19th race.  I'm also thinking of adding two races in September, a local one on the 11th and a larger race on the 25th. The first two both have indoor swims of ~ 500m, the third an open water swim of ~ 800m.  The third race is going to be by far the biggest and most competitive, and therefore is my ultimate goal for peak performance this season.

Mark, I think I'm going to need to draw up an entirely new training plan.  I'd like to treat the May 15th race as a tune-up, with more focus on the June races.  Would you mind if I send you what I put together to get your advice?

I hope everybody had lovely weather for the weekend!

-Tel

2011-04-09 9:45 AM

Hi Mark,

I would also like to join your group if you have room.  I have had a great experience with another mentor group but I am very interested in your perspective on nutrition.  I have done 4 triathlons and am scheduled for 3 this year (2 olympics and 1 half iron). I am not very fast but that does not worry me.  I started this so I could cross train since running is hard to do every day.  I work full time so I have to work in training around that.  But most people do.  I live in Maryland and the weather has been horrible. I ride inside and swim when I can.  I have been very sporadic about  getting the training in even though I have a plan through BT. 

Ellen

2011-04-09 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3437335

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

Panchorancho - 2011-04-09 7:56 AM Hi, my name is Francisco, I'm from Mexico City and I want to join your group.I'm 46 years old, married with Carolina that she is my best cheerleader. We have two teenagers, I'm 6"3' and weight 220 pounds. My favorite sport is mountain bike, and I have done it for the last 15 years. My brother inlaw did the Ironman in Cozumel last November and he is the responsible to introduce me into the triathlon world. I did my first Sprint Triathlon last March and I did it in 1:48, it wasn't the best time but I loved this multisport as a way to keep my body and mind healthy, so I'm planning to continue with this and improve my time. My new goal is to do an Olimpyc next March with some other Sprints inbetween as a training.Today I am concentraining in lower my weight as I felt very heavy in the Sprint and usually, when I do a lot of exercise I keep my weight or some times increase it. Friends told me that this is because I'm converting fat into muscle.I will love to join your group to learn how to do exercise and lose weight and also to get the best training plans to achieve my Olimpyc Triathlon.Best RegardsFrancisco

WOW!  Saludos Francisco!  Vivo en QRoo y tambien me fascina el IM de Cozumel.  You are so lucky that up there you have many events.  You already know of the FMTri website, no?  All the national races are there.  Puebla also has a very active tri community, but as you know, DF has the most.  Bienvenidos!

Espero que no te moleste los links - que por la duda no los tienes.

http://www.corredoresdelbosquedetlalpan.com.mx/inicio-2/

http://www.triatlonmex.com/

http://www.triatlon.com.mx/fmt-evtListaEventos.asp

http://www.triatleta.com.mx/eventos.php?id=1

Y ya sabes del triatlon San Gil, no? http://www.triatlonsangil.com/

Edited by kathy caribe 2011-04-09 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3437056

Veteran
Minneapolis

THANK YOU DENISE! This puts my mind at ease and allows me to feel fully prepared. I'm looking forward to riding the route next weekend. I think I'll be close on the swim, but if in a couple weeks, my time is still off, I'll shoot them an email. The organizers have been very helpful & friendly in response to my "paranoid newbie" emails. LOL

LadyNorth - 2011-04-08 8:39 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-08 11:31 AM 

Hey Denise! I would love to pick your brain. I'm pretty excited to see some Minnesotan's on here! Immediate questions re: Chain of Lakes:
1) What is the transition area like? (is it 1 transition area for T1 & T2?)
2) How hilly are the "rolling hills" on the cycle? I'm heading out to ride the route a week from tomorrow, so I'll actually be able to answer that question myself soon.
3) for the swim I'm worried that I didn't put myself in the right time-estimate when I registered. I picked the 12-14 minute and I'm getting close, but I'm still probably more like 15-16 minutes...do they care if you mis-juged your pace a little?

1. The transition area is the same for T1 and T2 (I believe that's true for all tris - at least all the ones I've done).  You run out the pool door and across some grass to the transition area.  You will run across a timing mat between the pool door and transition area.  The "bike out", "bike in" and "run out" are on the other side of the transition area.  There isn't a "run in" in the transition area because the finish line is a little ways away by the front doors of the school.  If you're facing the school, there is a large parking lot to your left and a smaller parking lot to your right.  The parking lot to your right is the transition area - there will be a temporary fence around it at race time.  When you rack your bike on race day, make sure you walk around and know where the "bike out" , "bike in", etc are.  They will be marked.  It's a small race so knowing where to go isn't really a problem, but in a larger race, it could lose you time.

2.  The "rolling hills" aren't bad - nothing really steep.  There's also about a 3 mile stretch on a trail that is totally flat.  The problem last year was that it was extremely windy.  One stretch of rolling hills had a strong head-on wind and that made it really tough.  It's great that you're checking out the route ahead of time.  It will save you a lot of grief.  Last year a woman a ways ahead of me missed a turn (even tho there were volunteers at the turn) and had to backtrack.

3.  There are 8 lanes and 2-4 swimmers per lane.  They try to group the heats by time but they don't divide out perfectly so there is some overlap from heat to heat.  A little before your heat is to start, the race director's wife gathers your heat and gets your best estimate for time to assign people to the lanes with similar times.  So the heat assignments are made and listed before the race but the lane assignments are made just before your heat swims.  If there's 3 or more per lane, you circle swim.  If a person behind you wants to pass, he tickles your foot and you stop at the wall and let him go by.  So, if you're closer to 16", you could email the website and give them a new time estimate or, if you're borderline, just tell them that when they're assigning lanes.  Remember - race day adrenaline may have you swimming faster than you normally would.

Another thought - if it's a cool/windy day, you'll probably want to put on something long-sleeved after the swim for the bike leg.  I put a bunch of BodyGlide on my arms and shoulders before the swim and it worked really really well - otherwise, it can be really hard to put long sleeves on a damp/wet body.

You are going to have a great time,

Denise

Regular
Minnesota

Hi Mark,

Still got room?

My name is Beth.   I'm 45, live with an athletic partner and no kids.  In winter 2010, I reintroduced myself to the pool and ran for the first time seriously.  In spring 2010, started racing by doing  a couple of tris and a duathlon and was hooked. Also did some running races to give me a goal (5k, 10K) in the fall. I've been tracking my training rather obsessively for the past year on BT.

I use a combo of plans, which means not really.  Weather is improving here so just starting to take training outside. I go to a Master's Swim 1-2 times a week (pool). I am riding outside now but have been doing 3 spin classes a week--when I ride outside we do about 20-25 miles at a time at the moment.  Biking is my strength and have been doing it for several years.  In the summer I do weekly 10 mile  time trials with my tri club and ride most everyday with my partner.  I need to pay more careful attention to running because that's the toughest for me.  see below

Running is my limiter and where I need to work. My goal this season is to be more consistent with my running and figure out how to run injury-free while improving my times. I have the most questions about running
I started running in 2010.     I am just getting over piriformis syndrome. Before that I was training for a half marathon --but now I'm running it as a relay with a friend.   I am slowly increasing volume and am up to 12 miles per week. After the half marathon relay next Sat, I will begin going up by 10% per week and intend to run 3-4 times a week.  Question: how much to increase the volume when my longest race this season is a 10K in an Oly Tri?  If I really feel good maybe I'd try training for another 1/2 marathon in the fall--then what should my goal be for weekly volume? 

My best race in mid season last year was 25:20, in a 5k not a tri.  I lost about 3 weeks of running this winter but  I don't seem to have lost much fitness (I did swim and bike in the mean time).  I'm shooting for a 9:30 min/mile for my next race (6 miles) but would really like to improve my run times over the season.  I am still working on aerobic endurance--my heart rate still climbs pretty high, even when I try to go slow.

I am pretty comfortable with the swim (except fear of being kicked in the head!) and my open water swims have been 800-1600 yds usually, master swims in the pool are around 2500 yards(not non-stop).  My pace is around 2 minutes per 100 yds in a 1000 yd open water swim.  I am faster in shorter distances and lose endurance as the yards increase.

I watch the Total Immersion videos for swimming but don't know of other kinds of videos.  I read articles on Runners World and other Tri-type sites.

My planned races this season:

Earthday 1/2 marathon as relay: April 16
Apple Duathlon: May 28
Buffalo Sprint: June 5
Heart of the Lakes, Long: July 17--This is my A race (1/2 mi swim, 21 mi bike, 5.3 mi run)
Chisago Lakes Sprint: July 24
Green Lake Olympic: August 14 (maybe--it would also be an A race)
Lakes Country, Baxter: August 28

2011-04-09 10:52 AM

Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed

Ok, three newbies this morning and I've capped our membership.  I'd love to have everyone in, but I don't want to dilute what we're trying to accomplish here for each other.  Welcome to tsimone, Ellen (Zam92), and ewengler.  I hope everyone has or had a great morning training today. 

I only got 4000 of the 4600 workout done at the pool today, but that's ok.  I focused on the quality of the workout.  The lane was a bit crowded and on the slower side, so we could not get the full 4600 the coach had on the board.  I focused on smooth and feeling the water against my hand but not fighting it, and kept my head neutral.  Good streamlined position off the wall to not have to stroke until the first white section of the lane line is behind my head. 

My tempo run immediately after generally felt like cr@p, but I hit my HR target my coach gave me right on the head.  I had a range of 145-151 to maintain for 30 of the 60 minutes, and I hit 151 average.  My cadence was 85 average for that interval, which is where it should have been for the pace (8:39), which is a lot slower than I though I would be averaging at that HR.  So, I felt terrible while doing it, but used my distractionary techniques to carry me through the hour, and executed. 

I'd like to hear about all of your longer or key workouts this weekend, good or bad.  Also, one more thing about your workouts that I'll share.  I believe that if your workout says 60 minutes, you should do 60 minutes and 5 seconds.  If you do one second less than 60 minutes, you are training yourself to quit early.  You will race like you practice.  You might finish the race, but if you're dogging it, you'll know it inside.  We teach the finish here.  You finish strong, with your head high, knowing you did the ABSOLUTE BEST YOU COULD.  If you do that, I promise you'll feel so good inside nobody will be able to tear you down in life...ever.

2011-04-09 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3437101

Remember to clip out if you're just getting used to bike shoes!  Nothing worse than the moment you've slowed to nearly a complete stop, you're looking all cool, cars all around, then you realize the instant befor you tip that you didn't unclip, and it's too late.  Sickening feeling.  You get up, you look around, and you say, "I hope my bike is alright", never minding the gash on your elbow and the newly implanted rocks in your knee!

It looks like you're a very strong runner, and we'll go over swim technique.  If you can ever have anyone video you in the pool, I'd be happy to look at it and see if there is anything glaring that I can help you with.

2011-04-09 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3437456

Beth,

Your running times look great, so I'll assume you're a pretty strong athlete.  I'm not familiar with that type of injury, but I'll look it up.  Obviously you have to train with a keen eye towards not getting hurt.  That's the first goal.  For you, my suggestion would be that we work on running for time, not necessarily miles, and then see how the miles add up.  You should probably work towards 4-5 hours a week running if you want to do well at 13.1, but we can get you there in time.  More important is probably the quality of the time you spend.  Mixing up aerobic with anaerobic and high end z3 work will increase your endurance pretty quickly. 

We can find you materials to help with the swimming, but I strongly suggest finding a masters group if there is one close by.  Your biking sound really strong, maybe just want to boost the distance up and moderate the pace a bit compared to a TT.  You'd not want to run much if you did a 28 mile ride at 10 mile TT pace!  I'd learn to work longer at about 80% of threshold.

2011-04-09 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3437454

México City
Hola, mil gracias por los links. Efectivamente ya soy parte de laFM de Triatlon y me acabo de integrar a este deporte haciendo el Triatlon de Valle de Bravo. Fue una experiencia muy motivadora, pero me falto mucha experiencia. Definitivamente quiero hacer el Olimpico de Valle el año que entra, entrenando con un Sprint en Veracruz y otro mas en Acapulco.Agradezco nuevamente tu apoyo y estaremos en contacto. Saludos
2011-04-09 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3437454

México City
Hola, mil gracias por los links. Efectivamente ya soy parte de laFM de Triatlon y me acabo de integrar a este deporte haciendo el Triatlon de Valle de Bravo. Fue una experiencia muy motivadora, pero me falto mucha experiencia. Definitivamente quiero hacer el Olimpico de Valle el año que entra, entrenando con un Sprint en Veracruz y otro mas en Acapulco.Agradezco nuevamente tu apoyo y estaremos en contacto. Saludos
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30