BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-05 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3482750

Regular
Subject: RE: bike help

I don't know if it's inspiring but they say misery loves company. I have 'junk miles' to get past to get to my designated bike training area as well; actually around one, but it's a mile of poor roads and shoulders. I have a road bike, but a mountain bike would be better equipped to handle this stretch, I can't believe a road could be so bumpy without being planned this way! The bike handles the bumps quite admirably I feel, it's a Trek 4.7 105, but this cannot be good for it. I'm thinking of putting it in the back of my truck and bypassing this part, but that seems like a wimpy way out.

As for inspiration, I did find some neat bike quotes here:

http://www.theargonauts.com/coolquotes.shtml

some of my favorites:

I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles M. Schulz

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. ~ Emo Philips

Here's one for you gals...

Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammelled womanhood. ~ Susan B. Anthony 1896

2011-05-05 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3482947

Regular
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full

Thanks Andy!

Based on the buoyancy and speed advantages, I'm going to get one. Heck, the way this year is panning out, we'll be lucky if the lake is 60 degrees. I was going to post for suggestions but I have decided to get the XTerra Vortex 3; the price is right with the membership savings and it's probably a good buy for me as an embryo. That's less than a newb, because some of the 'newbs' out there have done way more than I have, so I'm apparently not that yet. One step at a time.

Anyways so it should get here in a few days and I can decide if it fits right or if it should be returned for a different size.

Next I think is the transition bag. TYR has a sweet one, the Convoy, but it's like $180.00; anyone know of a decent bag they would recommend?

2011-05-05 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3483528

Subject: RE: wetsuits

if you're not sure how to determine fit, which one to buy, sleeved vs. sleeveless, etc., i highly recommend renting.  i used wetsuitrental.com for my first few races; it's about $50 including shipping and gives you an opportunity to try different styles.  i actually bought a used one that i ended up liking, and i think they credit you the rental fee if you rent then buy.  plus the customer service people are awesome and really good at recommending brands for your body type, etc.

personally i prefer a sleeveless suit and have been super pleased with the 2xu i bought from them, but figured i should upgrade to full sleeve for the chilly alcatraz waters, so picked up a vortex for that race.

and thanks all for bike commiseration.  i suppose it's helpful to use the junk miles for "handling skills," although my ability to not get sideswiped by a cabbie or careened into by a bike messenger riding the wrong direction probably aren't so applicable to race day...let's hope.

2011-05-05 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3474383

Regular
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-OPEN

Dude I read your write up on the Rev3 Knoxville event, wow! Way to tough it out...what a mess that must of been. Still passing people, way to go!

So what is this EFS liquid you write about? Is it like 5HE (Five hour energy)? I usually use that, how does it compare to EFS?

2011-05-05 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3287331

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
EFS-Electrolyte Fueling System is a great product made be First Endurance.

There are two types of EFS. EFS sports drink and EFS liquid shot. The sports drink is a great product especially during the hot humid days of summer as it has the highest concentration of electrolytes so you don't have to do salt tablets, etc to fight of the cramps. Plus EFS has amino acids as a blend of carbs and amino acids is a great combination to keep you hydrated and give your muscles a boost. I did a product review on my blog last month.

http://andyrosebrook.blogspot.com/2011/04/product-review-first-endu...

EFS liquid shot is like a gel shot except it doesn't have any gelling agents in it like GU or other gels shots. This makes it easier and quicker to digest, better tasting, and a lot less messy. (Unless you have a bike wreck and crack the flask -very sticky mess) . I got to beta test the new flavors of EFS and I really have to say it is it is really good tasting. During most of my Ironmans I hit a point I would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon that have another gel, because I just could stand the texture and consistancy, since EFS is a liquid I didn't have that problem when I used EFS.

Oh by the way, Rev 3 Knoxville is coming up again on May 15 we all have our personal demons to face, mine is a downhill section of road outside of Knoxville, TN.

Keep the rubber side down, keep you eyes open and enjoy the ride!

Andy
2011-05-06 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3484775

Regular
Subject: EFS
I will give this product a shot Andy, I'm a sweater. So while I was in your blog I notice you work for the NRC? Were you in the Navy? I was in the nuclear power program for a short while, till the Navy decided I was a tad to rebellious to be trusted with their reactors. So what did you guys hear/learn/assist concerning the Japanese reactors?

2011-05-06 11:44 AM

Regular
Subject: USAT

Should we join this if we are to continue triatheleting? Did I just invent a word?!

Anyways, I notice many of the sprint events have a one day membership thingy (does it make you faster), Andy (or anyone) do you feel it's beneficial or should I just pay for the one day?

2011-05-06 5:13 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
USAT

If you plan on doing three or more USAT sanctioned races, you defintely join USAT as the membership pays for itself at that point by not having to pay the 1 day fee. USAT is a great organization as they help develop the sport, provide event insurance, run the national and regional championship events, and help develop youth, collegate, U23, and Olympic level athletes.

Another cool feature with USAT is the rankings. As long as you do three sactioned events you can legitimately say you are a nationally ranked triathlete and find out how you stack up with everyone else. Plus you get a magazine. I have been a USAT member since 2005.

Andy
2011-05-06 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3485264

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: EFS
Yes I spent 3 years as an Electronics Technician/Reactor Operator, then got an NROTC scholarship to California Maritime and then got my Commission and did 6 years as an Officer on the USS Hamption (SSN-767) a fast attack submarine out of Norfolk, and as a Shift Engineer at NPTU Charleston (MTS-626). Worked for Reliant Resources at a Gas Fired power plant in Southern California and joined the USNRC in 2003.

If you want to get some information about Japan there is alot of good info on www.nrc.gov

Andy

2011-05-06 5:55 PM

So I'm about 7 weeks out from my first HIM, and I'm starting to wonder about race simulations. Generally, I won't do different events (swim/run/bike) back to back unless it's specifically a brick workout. I've mostly focused on build up the endurance on each portion. About once a week I'll do a brick and once a month I'll either do a race or simulate one, but these are nowhere near HIM distance. I just don't have more than 2 or 3 hours on a given day.

Does it make sense to continue this path of focusing on each event, or should I really be focused on combining them? The farthest I've gone with all 3 is an Oly, though for each individual part I can do the HIM distance without much problem.

Steven

2011-05-07 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3486063

Regular

Thanks Andy...oh, I got to get me a membership now, a national ranking, woot! 'Look honey, all this work is paying off, I'm ranked 200...thousand!'.

Gotta start somewhere...

2011-05-07 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3486100

Regular

Syphon I don't have an answer for you, but I'm excited for you that you are preparing for your first HIM, good luck! And, while unfortunate, it seems neat and special that you want to push your body further but there isn't enough time in your day for you to push it where you need it to be.

Ooorah!

2011-05-07 12:59 PM

Issaquah, WA
I've been looking at Power Grips and toe clips as a less expensive alternative to bike shoes and clipless pedals. Not sure if I should go with one of these options for now or just wait until I can afford to go clipless.
2011-05-07 1:45 PM

NW,

What's your budget? I highly advise you look at nashbar.com. I've been able to find some great deals there, including some Shimano SPD SL pedals and shoes for about $100. Most of the bike shops around here said I couldn't get pedals and shoes for under 200, so I felt pretty good about that. Yes, it's entry level, but that's exactly where I'm at!

That being said, toe clips are better than nothing.

Steven

2011-05-07 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3486755

Regular
Power Grips do look intriguing, but I have yet to find a review comparing them to clipless in a triathlon setting. I had toe clips and switched to clipless (Look Keo graphites) and there is a definite difference, FWIW.
2011-05-07 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
NW

I would definitiely go with clipless pedals and shoes if you can. While toeclips are better than nothing, clipless pedals are the best single investment you can make in terms of speed (after going from a fat tire Mt Bike to a road bike of course). The clips allow you to utilize your entire pedal stroke and using the enitre stroke puts gets more off your energy to the tirea and the ground. Clipless pedals were worth about 1.5 mph for me over a 40K (going from the MT bike to a road bike was worth about 3 mph). Aerobars were only worth about .5 mph for me for reference.

Shimmano SPDs (the big clips) I find are very stable and more comfortable on really long rides.

Andy

2011-05-07 10:09 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Steven

If you race regularly, those are absolutely the best training you can do for any race. The longer the race is the less of a "race simulation" you really need to. I am definitely in your boat when it comes to time. I can't afford to spend 4-5 hours training at a pop either. THe key part of any brick is really the first 15 minutes or so after the transition. When you are on the bike, the quads are the primary muscles in play and thus they have the majority of the blood flow going to them, so after a long ride, hopping off and trying to run can be a challenge since you body need to take some time to switch the primary muscle group to the hamstrings and calves and divert the blood flow to them. That is why your legs feel like they weight 60 extra pound when you start running. But once you body adjusts and your legs actually feel right again.

So the bottom line is you don't need to do a very long run on your bricks to get the maximim benifit. The key for a brick is to help your body experience that transition and get used to it and allow you to manage it. So for best use of your time you only need to tack on a 2 mile run to your weekly long bike ride to get a great benifical workout.

But anytime you can do do a race, do a race, nothing helps you more than race experience.

Andy
2011-05-07 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3486509

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hey now, my son actually bragged to his friends on his little league team that I was a nationally ranked triathlete and he had the magizine to prove it. And all his friends actually were impressed. Overhearing that conversation from behind the dugout, was worth the USAT membership all by itself.

Andy
2011-05-08 5:37 AM

Regular
Subject: Increasing training through periodization
So my understanding is you are only supposed to increase your training by 10 percent per week, according to periodization, that it is the best rate for your body to absorb training and improve strength and conditioning. So, as an example of what I am asking, if on a medium run day will it still effect my legs optimally if I increase my run by 10% AND also add upper body exercises, or will it impede my running improvement to add other exercises even if they aren't with my legs?
2011-05-08 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

I agree with getting a USAT membership if you are gong to do a few triathlons a year.  It does pays for itself.

I'm sidelined for a few days with strep throat. First time I've ever been sick during a training program. 

2011-05-09 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3487782

Regular
Strep throat, bummer! I have a cold that has taken me down a couple notches; I think the bike ride today is going to be a mostly low gear affair. Low gear, that's the quick gears, right?

2011-05-09 8:01 PM

Subject: another brick question

...in my quest to be as efficient as possible in my workouts...

is there a benefit (or downside) to tacking on a 1-2 mile brick run after my shorter weekday rides?  is it worth it to occasionally cut 5-6 miles so i could run for 20 min?  i traditionally run a few miles after the weekend longer ride, as most training plans suggest.  but started to wonder if doing several quick brick workouts a week might be more beneficial than straight riding?  or can running too frequently after cycling be detrimental somehow?

2011-05-10 12:13 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Adding a short run to any bike is certainly not detrimental. The more up practice that transition the more efficient your body will be at it. As long as you aren't going full tilt from the start of the run you will be fine. The run should be a slow build anyway.

One of my favorite workouts when I am on the road and at the mercy of a hotel exercise room is an indoor brick. 40 min on the stationary bike at full tilt, wipe down the bike then hop on the treadmill for 40 min adding speed every 5 min (.5mph per add). It teaches you to push it when you are tired and helps you practice transition. Great workout.

As far as upper body workouts while training, I don't think it can hurt unless it is interfering with your overall recovery.

Andy
2011-05-11 1:25 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Sorry if I have been absent this week, I am on the road down in Tennessee. 12 hour drive on Sunday and then found the hotel has no workout room. Found that I can go to the local YMCA with my Spring Valley YMCA card with the AWAY stamp so I'm going to have to check it out and/or run in a ton of traffic and 90 + degree like I did yesterday.

Have fun and keep up the good work everyone!

Andy
2011-05-11 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Andy,

If you're in Chattanooga as I suspect you might be, River Walk is a great place to run.  You can start downtown, where I like to stay.  Or, you could start closer to the Chickamauga dam towards the other side of town.  There's also lots of places to park along the entire path.  Very scenic, a hill or two keeps it interesting, and some shade as well.  Some water available along the way, but if you're going long, you might consider bringing along a small bottle to refill.

As for me, finally over my illness and got in a 5K run on the treadmill at the hotel before going to the circus at Indian Point.  Bike ride to and from work today. 

Tom

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14