BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-04-23 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - OPEN
ANa, REGARDING P90X I think that is awesome that you hdavs been doing it and it will likely help u a bunch. Have u much experience biking or swimming.

2011-04-23 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3461642

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-04-22 5:48 PM

that looks like a great summer schdule Ryan.

This weekend I am away at my parents place. Went for a decent ride today and it was very windy, which has been a bit of a regular occurance lately. The wind shouldnt really should have been a surprise as I was biking through a wind farm most of the way. Shouted out loud as I crested a hill and saw a decent downhill in front of me. Threw it into top gear, got down in aero and peddled until I ran out of gear. 71km/h was my max speed. Felt good lots of fun. plan to swim tomorrow morning, then a run afterwards. Sunday calls for another short run which wraps up my first week of my half ironman training.

Dang that is moving.
2011-04-23 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Phew... a lot to catch up with.  

Darren - I like the idea of posting questions to get the conversation going.  I also like knowing who is racing in the upcoming week so that we can encourage them.  It also helps to motivate the ones racing.  I know I felt that way during my half mary PR back in March.  For 3 months my mentor group knew that a sub 2 hour finish was my goal and on race day, I used that to get me through those last few miles.

Equipment - I am riding an Orbea Triton tri bike, aluminum frame with carbon seat post, fork, and risers.  It was my reward for losing 50 pounds last year.  I also have a Trek hybrid commuter bike that I rode in my first 2 tris.  

I just rented a wetsuit for my first OLY next Saturday but just received an email saying it will most likely not be wetsuit legal as the bay is already 80 degrees.  I did swim with it 2 weeks ago and really did not see a huge advantage in my swim time.  It was an Orca S3 sleeveless.  

Deb - I tried inserting a picture of my bike but failed, any pointers?

All the new folks - welcome and keep the posts coming, I love seeing the ! next to our group (that means someone has posted since you last logged in)

Aquagirl - Thanks for the heads up, do all Canucks know each other?

Edited by cwpeters 2011-04-23 7:14 PM
2011-04-23 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3462658

User image

Champion
Calgary
cwpeters - 2011-04-23 6:14 PM

Phew... a lot to catch up with.  

Darren - I like the idea of posting questions to get the conversation going.  I also like knowing who is racing in the upcoming week so that we can encourage them.  It also helps to motivate the ones racing.  I know I felt that way during my half mary PR back in March.  For 3 months my mentor group knew that a sub 2 hour finish was my goal and on race day, I used that to get me through those last few miles.

Equipment - I am riding an Orbea Triton tri bike, aluminum frame with carbon seat post, fork, and risers.  It was my reward for losing 50 pounds last year.  I also have a Trek hybrid commuter bike that I rode in my first 2 tris.  

I just rented a wetsuit for my first OLY next Saturday but just received an email saying it will most likely not be wetsuit legal as the bay is already 80 degrees.  I did swim with it 2 weeks ago and really did not see a huge advantage in my swim time.  It was an Orca S3 sleeveless.  

All the new folks - welcome and keep the posts coming, I love seeing the ! next to our group (that means someone has posted since you last logged in)

Abhorred and I note that u hhqve a race next weekend. Any expectations?
2011-04-23 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

bikes

This is  picture from the fall. I have since added the aero bars that I got with the bike and a profile designs front mounted bottle. The bike is old, really old, an aluminim frame, 105 components and 650c wheels but it gets the job done and it was cheap. I also bought a wetsuit a profile designs Bionik 2 off of ebay for just over $100 new. It fits great but I havent tried it out in the water yet. I got a trisuit off of a member here. I have picked up a few odds and ends such as a race belt, yankz and timing chip strap for cheap off of ebay as well. As you might tell I am on a budget.

The other bike I have had since 2000, but was originally built off of a bike I had in 1997, the seat, seat post and headset are the only things that remain from that original bike.

2011-04-24 3:03 AM

hello, just read this article:http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=731it's very true!!Went for a quick 3miles run yesterday, going swimming in the sea later today.Have a good day!!

2011-04-24 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Love the picture of the bikes. I have been on this website for three years and uploaded a picture maybe twice. Not very tech savvy.

So Dave, are u a bit of a bike guru. I can barely lube my own chain.
2011-04-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3462304

User image

Regular

Welcome to the group Ana.  In terms of picking a program, how much and far are you running right now?  I started with the C25K and it worked well for me, but it sounds like you may be beyond that already.  As for swimming, the best thing I ever did was get into a coached program.  For me, one of the best motivators has been to actually sign up for races.  That way I have something I'm working towards, and I can pick a training plan based on it.

I think you have to have the picture already on the web somewhere?  I have mine on my blog, so I just linked to that, but I believe you can put it on something like photobucket to upload it.  Anyone else know?

Yes, most of us take our dog sled teams over to the main igloo for a potluck once a year...

As for me, I skipped my Saturday night swim, and don't feel at all guilty about it.  I got to go on a date with my husband for the first time since December. 

I'm going to ride my bike today.  Anybody have any tips for riding on the highway?  I don't know if I'll do it today, but I want to start doing it soon.  I'm just a little bit freaked out about the cars zooming past me doing 100km/h...

2011-04-24 10:00 AM

Thank you for welcoming me into this group.

Darren- I have just started to bike about 30-40 min several times a week. I have not been swimming yet. I'm joining a local health center with a swimming pool. I haven't gone swimming in two years because of the accident but I'm very excited to start again!

Deb- I have been running 3-4 miles 3/4 times a week and getting restless- so I think that I should pick up my speed but I will look into the program you mentioned.  

I was looking at the free basic plans I found on this website- I'm choosing between two of them but since I haven't been swimming for a while- should I look at a plan that is more focused on swimming or just a balanced one all around?

Ana

2011-04-24 10:02 AM

Deb- signing up for races sounds very interesting- I'm going to def. check into it.

Ana

2011-04-24 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

I have a trek 1500 road bike, I bought it back in 2003 but it does the trick.

No wetsuit for me, at least not yet.  My tri isn't until August and I'm hoping the water will be in the 70s so I won't need to bother with one.

My training this week went fairly well, I've been more sore than the past 3 weeks so I'm happy that next week is a recovery one.  I'll probably go for a run within the next hour.  I'm worried I'm getting sick a bit of a sore throat the last couple days, I'm hopeful that it's just spring allergies and hope some claritin clears it up.

Edit: Went for a run with my girlfriend today, I ran slightly slower for her but not very much.  She normally runs about a 10:30 mile so it was nice to push her a little.

Edited by nick_318is 2011-04-24 12:32 PM

2011-04-24 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3463046

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Welcome Jason and Ana! 

Ana - If you need any swimming ideas or advice let me know.  I am going to start posting my swimming workouts on my training log in detail if you need any workout ideas.  

Jason - good luck with the weightloss.  Before I lost weight I used to think that I would compete in the Clydesdale division in my first triathlon.  Not going to happen now.  I always used to think of myself as a "big guy".  But I put my mind to it, ate healthy, worked out a lot and lost 40 lbs.  I don't know where you are at now body type wise, but I'm sure with the right diet and workouts you can get down to a more comfortable weight.  

Regarding this weekends workouts:  

Saturday bike ride was a little bit of a disaster.  Fell off the bike twice.  I lost my balance once while transitioning onto my tri bars and rode right off the road.  Then I fell again while coming to a stop because I didn't unclip soon enough.  All that and I was very uncomfortable on the roads with the heavy amount of traffic.  Some cars were not even coming close to giving me any room - even when they could have changed lanes.  I think I'm going to stick to the paved path in the forest preserve for a while until I'm a little more comfortable on my bike.  

Sunday run was ok.  I had a planned pace of 9:30 and ran the first 10 miles pushing a 9:20 pace or faster - I know better than to push this hard on a long run.  I died the last two miles.  Finished with a 9:34 pace overall.  

This coming week:

Monday Swim / Tuesday Speed Run Workout + Bike? / Wednesday Swim + Weights / Thursday Tempo Run Workout / Friday Rest / Saturday Long Bike / Sunday 8 - 10 mile Run

I think all of this might be a little ambitious this week.  We'll see.  Supposed to start tapering for my half marathon which is two weeks from yesterday.  

Have a good week everyone!

- Ryan

2011-04-24 7:36 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Deb,

How did you find your ride today? I think we are lucky out here, we have many roads with big shoulders that are frequented by many riders so most motorists are respectful. Only tip is bring a cell phone and a spare and just try to be aware of the road in front of you re: pot holes and gravel and speed strips. Usually the first time you hit those rumble strips on a given route you don't know they are there, but you usually don't forget them the next time.
2011-04-24 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Ryan,

Nice run this weekend. Pacing is the trickiest thing to figure out. It is so tempting to go out to hard but you are right, you always pay for it. It took me 3 years to figure out that you get way more out of a fast finish than a fast start, but boy does that take discipline, especially on a long run. I know I screwed it up on a 35k run 2 weeks ago. First 30 were awesome. Final 5 was brutal.
2011-04-24 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3463558

User image

Regular

BigDH - 2011-04-24 6:36 PM Deb, How did you find your ride today? I think we are lucky out here, we have many roads with big shoulders that are frequented by many riders so most motorists are respectful. Only tip is bring a cell phone and a spare and just try to be aware of the road in front of you re: pot holes and gravel and speed strips. Usually the first time you hit those rumble strips on a given route you don't know they are there, but you usually don't forget them the next time.

Yeah, people are pretty good here.  There are a lot of cyclists.  Heck, people drive from Calgary to train on our hill.

The ride was good, though I chickened out on hitting the highway and just rode in town.  I think I need to just suck it up and do it, then I'll be fine.  It probably will be a nicer ride anyways, because then I won't be having to slow down and stop constantly.  Plus, Cochrane just isn't that big.  I think I covered most of it on my bike today, and I wasn't even out there that long.

The benefit of riding in town is that I'm changing gears more, so it's giving me practice with that.  It's starting to feel more natural, so that is good.

I did fall down though.  I made my husband come outside with me to take a picture of me on my bike for my blog.  I cockily told him that I wasn't going to fall down for a picture.  He made some smart alec comment while I clipped in on one side.  I grinned at him and then promptly fell over to the side I had just clipped into...

I guess I got it over with.  It's pretty much a requirement to fall over when you start riding with clipless pedals, right?

2011-04-25 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3463736

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
_Deb_ - 2011-04-24 10:55 PM

I guess I got it over with.  It's pretty much a requirement to fall over when you start riding with clipless pedals, right?

yes everyone falls over when the first get clippless pedals, stick with it. Set the pedals as loose as they will go so they release easier

2011-04-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3463046

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

BigDH - 2011-04-24 8:16 AM. So Dave, are u a bit of a bike guru. I can barely lube my own chain.

Guru no, but I do like bikes. I can do basic maintenance and swapping components but I leave major stuff and fine tuning to a shop. I really want to buy a Trek Speed Concept series bike, even if it just the aluminum one.

2011-04-25 11:16 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Alrighty, so last week was a good one for me.

On deck this week:

M 29 with 26k at race pace
t 19 k
w 24k
t 8 k (and I am going to karate for 2 hours, my wife is grading to brown belt, I haven't been for like 2 years but it is a big deal so this class is going to be brutal.
F 16k, maybe, I don't know, depends about night before
sat 16 w 6 X 1000m at 5k pace
Sun....we'll see.

2011-04-25 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3464458

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Darren - Does running every day beat you up really bad?  I know I can't run every day.  I stick with a one on - one off rule for running.  Of course cross training in between is a must, but that day of not running is just enough to keep my legs fresh. 

I have used the Furman Institute "FIRST" Marathon training program for my half marathon and my marathon and it worked great for me.  It emphasizes a 3 day a week running program with 2 or 3 days of cross training worked in. 

I guess I was just wondering if running every day for you allows your body enough rest and recovery time from running? 

- Ryan

Edited by rdietz 2011-04-25 11:46 AM
2011-04-25 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3464528

User image

Champion
Calgary
rdietz - 2011-04-25 10:45 AM

Darren - Does running every day beat you up really bad?  I know I can't run every day.  I stick with a one on - one off rule for running.  Of course cross training in between is a must, but that day of not running is just enough to keep my legs fresh. 

I have used the Furman Institute "FIRST" Marathon training program for my half marathon and my marathon and it worked great for me.  It emphasizes a 3 day a week running program with 2 or 3 days of cross training worked in. 

I guess I was just wondering if running every day for you allows your body enough rest and recovery time from running? 

- Ryan

Yeah, it is a little insane. I never thought I would be that type of guy. For the most part running 8k is better than taking a rest day. However, I am doing nothing but running right now. I will start riding my bike to work maybe next week. So we will see. But I would still like to do a recovery day on days I ride....that is the goal anyways.

It took me over 2 years to get to the point that I was strong enough to run every day. If I could go faster by running less I would. If the FIRST program works for you I think that is great and I am hugely jealous. When I was running as part of a swim/bike schedule, I just could get no gains in running. Of course that was over a year ago and I think I am in much better shape now, so who knows. I know a number of people on this board who seem to excel on running only 3 times a week.
2011-04-25 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3464551

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

That makes sense.  I don't think I would have ever been able to run a half marathon or a full marathon if I ran more than 3 times a week.  I was able to go from never having run more than 3 miles to running a marathon within a year.  But, at some point in order to get faster, I may need to figure out a way to run more than 3 days a week.  I'm still at the point where I definitely need that recovery day - I'm actually a little sore this morning from my run yesterday. 

- Ryan

2011-04-25 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3464576

User image

Champion
Calgary
well you just ran almost 20 km so I imagine you would be pretty sore. Was it a fast pace for you?
2011-04-25 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3464581

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

It was the fastest I have ever tried to take a run out, of that distance.  Other than my half marathon last year (died in that one - averaged 9:00min miles for the first 9 miles).  I'm trying to break 2 hours in the half marathon on May 7th, so I guess I was trying to see if I could get close to holding that pace (need to hold a 9:09 pace to break 2 hours).  With a light taper, I'll come close if I run a smart race.  Most of my long runs have been in the 9:30 - 9:50 pace range. 

- Ryan

2011-04-25 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
One thing I learned through 2 injuries is that your endurance and muscles build up faster than your ligaments and joints. I have only been running 7 months but feel I have to purposely go slow so I dont end up hurt again. I have my first half marathon this weekend which I know I can complete but am worried (know!) that I am going to be disappointed with my results.
2011-04-25 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Dave,

That is so true, I spent all of last year running 70k a week, 10k a day 20k on the weekend. Super easy. Never got a bit faster. But I was so scared of past problems that I figured better to get out there every day than go hard and get hurt. It is only this year I have been throwing in intensity work, and boy is it hard.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21