BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-05-03 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3480095

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED
bzgl40 - 2011-05-03 1:38 PM The national DU's went well.  Very well organized race.  Great swag, which we all know is very important.   The roomiest racks I have ever had for the bike as well.  I would have liked to have held a little more speed in the second run.  Need a bit more high intensity run training I think.  My age group and the next one started together and our group was voted best abs.  Sadly I did not contribute to that.  lol  But the race sure did bring out some top quality competitors.

talk of abs is worthless without photos......of the girls... 

2011-05-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Good morning gang.  I hope everyone is off to a productive week.  I have been out running twice so far this week and even though my quads hurt more today than they did the morning after IMAZ, I am glad to be out training again.  I am going to the pool tonight and getting back in the water after a 5 month break.   This should be fun.  Moral of the story is to not stop training after your "A" race because because starting over sucks. 
2011-05-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3480365

User image

mikar_68 - 2011-05-03 1:23 PM

Chris

This is very interesting. I can run and bike without gasping for air within the first 50 yds., but when I swim my lungs say stop while the rest of my body says keep going. I always told myself it is because I am not in the shape I thought I was.

How would you teach a person to make sure to exhale all the way under the water? I use to think I was holding my breathe. You could be correct. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

That's a good question, but probably like any other swim technique it would probably work to exaggerate the exhale.  I.e., when you turn your head back down, slowly blow out, or even hum a little, to ensure you're exhaling the entire time your face is in the water, and you are ready to inhale when it comes up.  That's how they teach it in scuba, since you are never supposed to hold your breath underwater.

Also, what's your breathing pattern?  one side?  bilateral?  Lots of folks advocate bilateral breathing, a 3 stroke pattern, etc.  Frankly, I breathe when I need air, which about 100 yards into a workout turns out to be every stroke.  So I breathe every stroke to the right.  (Unless there's a cute girl in the jacuzzi, which is to the left of the pool coming back to the wall, in which case I will throw in a left side breath every now and then     )

2011-05-04 2:25 PM

User image

Hope everyone's weeks are starting out nicely.  Lakers lost Monday but they'll win tonight

Few things going on:

1.  Swim - I am a decent swimmer, but never got really fast.  Last HIM in April, there were a few weeks when I swam 3X a week for about 10K yards, most of it was 2X/week, with no long OW swims.  I swam a PR at the HIM.  But I don't think I'll ever get significantly faster unless I am willing to swim 4X a week, which I am not

2.  Bike - I don't ride in the dark, so the midweek rides for me have all been on the trainer.  I bought a computrainer to train for Cal. 70.3 and did pretty well on it, but now that I have just an Oly and super sprint (6 mile bike) on the calendar, I really can't get motivated to get on it.  Like this morning.  Like I was supposed to......  I need to figure this out.

3.  Run - Always my weakest leg.  I am considering trying again the 3:2:1 program that BarryP put up over at slowtwitch.  I've usually done better with more shorter runs a week, rather than fewer longer ones.  I just need to learn how to do it without getting injured.  i.e., probably stay out of the hills that I love to run in (slowly) and slow down.... 

Basically the program is 3 short runs, 2 medium runs that are 2X the short runs, and one long that is 3X the short.  So this week would be 3 2 mile runs, 2 4 mile runs, and 1 8 mile run.  Then every week add a couple miles total (10%) over the various runs.  The problem is it adds up and creates a lot of two a days.  Which is tiring......

4.  Weight loss - I went up a bit last week.  Went a little nuts at work and made some bad choices several days.  I've reined it in, and am back now "on the cusp" of 230.  My goal is to get below 230 and keep it there a week.  I've flirted with 229 now and again but am not committed to holding it.  I feel like I need a major programmatic change to my diet (but I am a BABY about giving up food.  it's really quite sad...)

And Josh is right.  It's so much easier to stay in shape than to get in shape   Welcome back.  Do you plan another IM in your future?  I thought I definitely would at some point.  and I probably will.  but I am no so sure.  When I am on a 2-3 hour ride on Saturdays, I am usually happy it's not a 5-6 hour ride

Edited by ChrisM 2011-05-04 2:27 PM
2011-05-04 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3482126

User image

Expert
I am dragging big time from a 14 hour day at work on Tues and a 19 hour day yesterday. I got home this morning around 4:00 A.M. and got at least an hour of sleep. Does anyone else get crushed by their work schedule and take forever to get it back? I tried to go to the gym today, but all I could muster was some elliptical and light lifting before I had to come back to work
2011-05-04 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3482521

User image

Payson, AZ

gator22 - 2011-05-04 4:23 PM I am dragging big time from a 14 hour day at work on Tues and a 19 hour day yesterday. I got home this morning around 4:00 A.M. and got at least an hour of sleep. Does anyone else get crushed by their work schedule and take forever to get it back? I tried to go to the gym today, but all I could muster was some elliptical and light lifting before I had to come back to work

oh yeah, I hear you.  I sometimes work some long days but my bigger issue is I work my full day and then sometimes in the middle of the night or early morning I'll get woken with issues that take hours to fix.  Like yesterday and into today I spent restoring some databases.  Yesterday's training got trashed cause of the fact I just couldn't get out but I really had to fight to get out today when I was finally done cause sleep was so much more tempting.  That is why I don't schedule rest days in my workouts, life takes care of it (although I have easy days). 

All you can do is fit in what you can.  It wasn't like you were going to throw down a solid workout anyways if your exhausted.

2011-05-04 7:33 PM

User image

What she said ^^^   I get into cycles where if I work late I am too trashed after work, then too tired the next morning.  And as I get older it gets worse   
2011-05-04 7:34 PM

User image

I posted this in general tri talk but thought it might be a good tip for the newbies everyone 

Be careful out there!

At a lot of races where parking is away from transition, I always see people riding in their flip flops on speedplays, one strap bag flung over their shoulders, no helmet (which might get you DQ'd), in the dark with no lights, through crowds, etc etc.   I usually choose to walk.

At wildflower last weekend my coach saw a guy riding down the hill like this, one bag over his shoulder.  The bag swiveled right into his front tire, causing him to go down and break his freaking jaw (and he had a helmet on).

2011-05-04 8:34 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ChrisM - 2011-05-04 3:25 PM

Hope everyone's weeks are starting out nicely.  Lakers lost Monday but they'll win tonight

Few things going on:

1.  Swim - I am a decent swimmer, but never got really fast.  Last HIM in April, there were a few weeks when I swam 3X a week for about 10K yards, most of it was 2X/week, with no long OW swims.  I swam a PR at the HIM.  But I don't think I'll ever get significantly faster unless I am willing to swim 4X a week, which I am not

2.  Bike - I don't ride in the dark, so the midweek rides for me have all been on the trainer.  I bought a computrainer to train for Cal. 70.3 and did pretty well on it, but now that I have just an Oly and super sprint (6 mile bike) on the calendar, I really can't get motivated to get on it.  Like this morning.  Like I was supposed to......  I need to figure this out.

3.  Run - Always my weakest leg.  I am considering trying again the 3:2:1 program that BarryP put up over at slowtwitch.  I've usually done better with more shorter runs a week, rather than fewer longer ones.  I just need to learn how to do it without getting injured.  i.e., probably stay out of the hills that I love to run in (slowly) and slow down.... 

Basically the program is 3 short runs, 2 medium runs that are 2X the short runs, and one long that is 3X the short.  So this week would be 3 2 mile runs, 2 4 mile runs, and 1 8 mile run.  Then every week add a couple miles total (10%) over the various runs.  The problem is it adds up and creates a lot of two a days.  Which is tiring......

4.  Weight loss - I went up a bit last week.  Went a little nuts at work and made some bad choices several days.  I've reined it in, and am back now "on the cusp" of 230.  My goal is to get below 230 and keep it there a week.  I've flirted with 229 now and again but am not committed to holding it.  I feel like I need a major programmatic change to my diet (but I am a BABY about giving up food.  it's really quite sad...)

And Josh is right.  It's so much easier to stay in shape than to get in shape   Welcome back.  Do you plan another IM in your future?  I thought I definitely would at some point.  and I probably will.  but I am no so sure.  When I am on a 2-3 hour ride on Saturdays, I am usually happy it's not a 5-6 hour ride

Ok week so far. Running is going well. Too easy to have a couple beers after work rather than exercise. But the Heat are killing the Celtics, so there's that.
2011-05-04 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
ChrisM - 2011-05-04 3:25 PM

I have been told not until the kids are out of day care.  Probably another couple of years.  I am going to stick to shorter distances.  I do want to do another one.  I know I can do a whole lot better. 
2011-05-04 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3482521

User image

Los Angeles

gator22 - 2011-05-04 4:23 PM I am dragging big time from a 14 hour day at work on Tues and a 19 hour day yesterday. I got home this morning around 4:00 A.M. and got at least an hour of sleep. Does anyone else get crushed by their work schedule and take forever to get it back? I tried to go to the gym today, but all I could muster was some elliptical and light lifting before I had to come back to work

I have the same issue....and I am in the same profession...vice/narcotics...but i try to push...tired tonight but wake up early for workout before work

2011-05-05 6:42 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Wow, that took a while to add everyone as friends.  Big group.  Excited about that, I hope it means it is an active one.  I know some groups never really get going but I have a good feeling about this one. 

Edited by bzgl40 2011-05-05 6:43 AM
2011-05-05 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3483061

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
bzgl40 - 2011-05-05 7:42 AM Wow, that took a while to add everyone as friends.  Big group.  Excited about that, I hope it means it is an active one.  I know some groups never really get going but I have a good feeling about this one. 

It does look that way.  The group functions well because of it's members and it makes the mentor's job a lot easier and more productive.  So fire away with the questions.  Here's mine -

Does everyone do swim drills?  If so what is your favorite?
2011-05-05 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3483387

User image

Boston Beginner - 2011-05-05 7:15 AM
bzgl40 - 2011-05-05 7:42 AM Wow, that took a while to add everyone as friends.  Big group.  Excited about that, I hope it means it is an active one.  I know some groups never really get going but I have a good feeling about this one. 

It does look that way.  The group functions well because of it's members and it makes the mentor's job a lot easier and more productive.  So fire away with the questions.  Here's mine -

Here's my take on drills.  I took some swimming lessons as a kid, was drafted to play water polo my freshman year high school because they needed a big hole man (it's a position, not a...  never mind).  They made me do swim team one year, hated it.  Played 4 years then one year NCAA Div. I.  So while I had some instruction never really had "instruction."  My stroke is just OK.  But I guess I played enough polo and swam in training that I overcame it.  I am fast for triathletes, but slow for swimmers.

That said, I understand that drills are important, but I think sometimes people lose the forest for the trees in doing too many drills and not swimming enough.  I agree that technique is important, don't want to ingrain bad habits, etc., but if you look at any Olympic swimmer, open water or pool, and you will see all sorts of techniques.  Phelps is (or was) very imbalanced if you watched his stroke in China.  Now, that's an extreme as he's been swimming 10K a day for years, but you'd think, someone swimming that much should have a "textbook" stroke?  I don't think there is one

I bought the TI book, and it opened my eyes to a few things about becoming longer in the water, gliding, and presenting a "keel" instead of a "barge," but I think folks sometimes get caught up in doing 2000 yards of zipper drill and wonder why they never get faster.

There really is nothing better to become a better swimmer than swimming more.  And swimming harder than you might think you can.  That's why a masters group is good, because they tend to push you harder than you would yourself.  Or, if not that, work with a coach for 2-3 sessions, have them fix your technique, then go out and swim your a$$ off.  Even me, I know if I swim 2X a week I will only maintain.  I have to swim at least 3X a week to get faster.  1X a week and I get slower.

To answer the question    We do drills as part of our masters, but honestly it's maybe 5% of a 3K workout.  Maybe 10% on a good day.  The only drill I really do is the catch-up drill.

Edited by ChrisM 2011-05-05 12:52 PM
2011-05-05 12:51 PM

User image

And by the way, this is my open request to the group.  If you have ideas about how to make it better, or things I should or shouldn't be doing, please let me know.  Post it here, inspire me, PM me, whatever you feel most comfortable with. 

I was only in a mentor group for a very short time, it was recent and the group was not 'for me' so I left it (letting the mentor know and why).  So other than just getting on BT and blathering away, I am not quite sure what I am doing. 

2011-05-05 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3483870

User image

Expert
ChrisM - 2011-05-05 12:49 PM

Boston Beginner - 2011-05-05 7:15 AM

Here's my take on drills.  I took some swimming lessons as a kid, was drafted to play water polo my freshman year high school because they needed a big hole man (it's a position, not a...  never mind).  They made me do swim team one year, hated it.  Played 4 years then one year NCAA Div. I.  So while I had some instruction never really had "instruction."  My stroke is just OK.  But I guess I played enough polo and swam in training that I overcame it.  I am fast for triathletes, but slow for swimmers.

That said, I understand that drills are important, but I think sometimes people lose the forest for the trees in doing too many drills and not swimming enough.  I agree that technique is important, don't want to ingrain bad habits, etc., but if you look at any Olympic swimmer, open water or pool, and you will see all sorts of techniques.  Phelps is (or was) very imbalanced if you watched his stroke in China.  Now, that's an extreme as he's been swimming 10K a day for years, but you'd think, someone swimming that much should have a "textbook" stroke?  I don't think there is one

I bought the TI book, and it opened my eyes to a few things about becoming longer in the water, gliding, and presenting a "keel" instead of a "barge," but I think folks sometimes get caught up in doing 2000 yards of zipper drill and wonder why they never get faster.

There really is nothing better to become a better swimmer than swimming more.  And swimming harder than you might think you can.  That's why a masters group is good, because they tend to push you harder than you would yourself.  Or, if not that, work with a coach for 2-3 sessions, have them fix your technique, then go out and swim your a$$ off.  Even me, I know if I swim 2X a week I will only maintain.  I have to swim at least 3X a week to get faster.  1X a week and I get slower.

To answer the question    We do drills as part of our masters, but honestly it's maybe 5% of a 3K workout.  Maybe 10% on a good day.  The only drill I really do is the catch-up drill.

Great points Chris. I think that many people don't want to hear the answer that you will get faster if you work harder. I have over heard many fatties say that they are worried about "over training" and such....people are soft (me included!!!)

2011-05-05 4:27 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a question about biking, and getting a bike fit. I recently started to bike more (for me at least), and do 2-3 hour bike rides on the weekends. It's been a blast but afterwards my knees are totally messed up. I feel like the tendon that goes across the kneecap is really tight, and there's pain. I don't ride clipless pedals. I've suffered from chronic knee pain after a bouldering accident about 4 years ago which is why I can't run as much as I would like to, but I thought that biking is a good sport for people with knee pain. Which leads me to my next question: should I get a bike fit? The places around me that do thorough bike fits are not cheap on a student budget (about $50-60/hr) and I don't know if it's worth it, but I don't want to ruin my knees more and not be able to bike anymore. If you've gotten a bike fit or have an opinion please let me know Thanks for reading!
2011-05-05 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3484328

User image

Expert
I had an ACL replacement in 98 and have noticed that the bike is way less painful for the knee than running.  The fit could probably benefit you, but if you cannot afford it check out YOUTUBE and see how it is done. You can always have your husband or a friend help you with the positioning and marking. I think the main thing for the knee is to have your seat at a height that gets your leg almost extended on the down stroke but not fully. I notice that when ever I do anything that fully extends my legs that knee bugs me afterward....Good Luck!
2011-05-05 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Hi Everybody!

Sorry I'm so late in posting my info, but did want to take a quick minute to do so....

NAME: pdc33 -- Pauline

STORY: I am 42 years old, and have wanted to do a triathlon for the longest time! I've been running off and on since 2005. My biggest running accomplishment was probably running Marine Corps Marthon in 2008. Over the years I've also run about four half marathons and lots of 5Ks.

My weakest area is the swim. Never took lessons as a kid, have taken a few in my adult life. The farthest I've ever swam was 25 yds, and that was a struggle. Now you see, I can really swim ok, it's just that whole breathing thing. Smile

FAMILY STATUS: Single but dating a great guy.

CURRENT TRAINING: Learn how to swim!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I want to do at least one tri and I'll also run a handful of 5Ks.

"A" RACE: I want to do my first tri on July 17th

WEIGHTLOSS ISSUES IF ANY: I'm 5'6" and need to lose a good 30 pounds.

WHAT AM I LOOKING TO GET OUT OF A MENTOR GROUP, AND WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE GROUP : Mainly looking for help with the swim, but as a newbie, there is plenty I need to learn about triathlons!

2011-05-05 7:46 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

When it comes to swim drills I just follow the BT training plans.  They don't generally have a lot in them and it isn't every swim.  Although periodically they will throw one day in there with nothing but drills.  Ugh.  It's rare though.  But, I really got a lot out of the catch up drill when I was first learning to swim.  It really got me to slow down and not windmill.  Last year I started doing the one arm pull (not sure what the official name is) and felt that helped me really concentrate on my rotation.  What I really like about the BT plans though is that the sets.  Some are long, some are short, some are hard, some are easy, some are mixed.  Etc etc.  It keeps it more interesting but it's also pretty good to get some speed work in, some endurance in, etc.  They sure didn't write them for slow swimmers though.  I rarely get through the full workout before I have to head back to work. 

I've been out of the pool for 3 weeks though.  I'm looking forward to heading back on Monday and yet dreading it at the same time.

2011-05-05 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3484574

User image

Veteran
Maryland

OK, if I can just get the swim down, I can do my first tri! Here's where I am now....

I've learned that the struggling I call swimming will only reinforce bad habits, so I've turned to drills.

I heard so many good things about TI, certainly can't afford any of those classes, but checked out a TI book from the library. Just what I need, a set of drills I can build upon to learn how to swim effortlessly.

Except now, I'm at another plateau. I'm certainly feeling better in the water, but there are times when part of me is a little scared. ie, I'm just feeling comfortable floating on my back (can't get out of it without using the lane rope; I don't go in the pool where my feet can't touch the bottom)

Although I've improved, I don't think I'm in the right position. I'm a sinker, but I don't know how to fix it! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2011-05-05 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3484619

User image

Payson, AZ
pdc33 - 2011-05-05 6:28 PM

OK, if I can just get the swim down, I can do my first tri! Here's where I am now....

I've learned that the struggling I call swimming will only reinforce bad habits, so I've turned to drills.

I heard so many good things about TI, certainly can't afford any of those classes, but checked out a TI book from the library. Just what I need, a set of drills I can build upon to learn how to swim effortlessly.

Except now, I'm at another plateau. I'm certainly feeling better in the water, but there are times when part of me is a little scared. ie, I'm just feeling comfortable floating on my back (can't get out of it without using the lane rope; I don't go in the pool where my feet can't touch the bottom)

Although I've improved, I don't think I'm in the right position. I'm a sinker, but I don't know how to fix it! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

It sounds like your not comfortable in the water at all?  Never played around in it growing up or anything?  Is your first tri a pool swim or open water?  If it is open water your going to want to get really comfortable in the water. 

2011-05-05 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3484628

User image

Veteran
Maryland
bzgl40 - 2011-05-05 9:35 PM
pdc33 - 2011-05-05 6:28 PM

Thanks!

It sounds like your not comfortable in the water at all?  Never played around in it growing up or anything?  Is your first tri a pool swim or open water?  If it is open water your going to want to get really comfortable in the water. 

Well, I'm somewhat comfortable in the water, and no, didn't get to spend much time playing in the water when I was a kid. I grew up in Kansas.

So that's why my first tri must have a pool swim. I was also hoping for a shorter swim, like around 250. But the tri I want to do in July is 400.

2011-05-05 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3484619

User image

Expert
pdc33 - 2011-05-05 8:28 PM

Thanks!

I was able to gain a lot of swimming endurance when I was finally able to relax in the water.  You are not a sinker, no one is.  Take a breath in and just lay face down in the water for ten seconds or so.  You will not sink, your body will likely maintain a neutral bouyancy. When you blow out the breath you will go down a little lower in the water.  If you can relax your muscles and just tell yourself that the surface (and a fresh breath of air!) are only inches from your face you can do great things.  The TI program is great for the principles of freestyle, but you need to spend a lot of time just being comfortable in the water. I have worked in rescue scenarios around open water for over twenty years and you should make sure that you feel ok before you try open water race.   You can do it!!
2011-05-05 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3484661

User image

Veteran
Maryland
gator22 - 2011-05-05 10:00 PM
pdc33 - 2011-05-05 8:28 PM

Thanks!

I was able to gain a lot of swimming endurance when I was finally able to relax in the water.  You are not a sinker, no one is.  Take a breath in and just lay face down in the water for ten seconds or so.  You will not sink, your body will likely maintain a neutral bouyancy. When you blow out the breath you will go down a little lower in the water.  If you can relax your muscles and just tell yourself that the surface (and a fresh breath of air!) are only inches from your face you can do great things.  The TI program is great for the principles of freestyle, but you need to spend a lot of time just being comfortable in the water. I have worked in rescue scenarios around open water for over twenty years and you should make sure that you feel ok before you try open water race.   You can do it!!

Yes, I definitely I'm trying to get comfortable in the water. I can finally easily float on my back. (I used to not even try it without holding on to something). But when I'm on my back, my legs are too far under the water. I can't seem to get them up. Same way when I'm on my stomach. My lower body seems too far under the water. Any suggestions for balancing it out?

My first few tris will be pool swims. Not really interested in an open water swim.

Thank you for the encouragement!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20