BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-21 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - OPEN

Hi Ernesto,

My name is Jim user name jbacarella, and I would like to be a part of your group.

Story:I am 45 years old and live in a small town in NorthEast Michigan and work as an attorney.. At age 39 I had my annual physical and I would give myself a failing grade. It started with the nurse telling me that my BP was too high, and it got worse from there. I was 30 lbs overweight. As for all of the other tests if the number was supposed to be low, mine was high. If it was supposed to be high mine was low, finally I asked is there anything good? I was told my cholesterol was not high. I asked what is bad and was told 200, mine was 199.

That started a tight diet and I started walking ( I was a good runner in school, but a 15 years hiatus from exercise did a lot of damage), and I started loosing weight. I found it wasn't enough to diet and walk and I started to get bored. I tried softball, but found the Thursday night beer fest that the local men’s softball league was counterproductive.

Our town started hosting a triathlon four years ago. I drove through it the first year and it brought up all of the memories of ABC's wide world of sports coverage from the 80's. I quickly forgot about it. The second year was nearly the same experience, except this time I knew several people who were competing and I thought if they can do it, why not me! That is when I made the proclamation, to my wife, that I would do the triathlon in 2010. She responded with her standard Jim has another crazy idea ok. I followed up with asking her to teach me how to swim. She swam competitively in high school and was a WSI.

The next day, after I found out the distances for a sprint I stared "running" 5K at lunch. It took me 35 minutes and I walked half of it and could only run a couple of hundred yards without having to slow down and walk, but I did it.

I then added in the bike and I would ride my bike two day a week run three and then in the summer started swimming. I am also fortunate enough to live near Lake Huron, so I incorporated a half mile beach run with my kids every Sunday.

That first year I ran several 5k races and a couple of 10k's. I bought an old Montgomery Ward ten speed at a garage sale for $15.00 and September 2010 did my first Sprint Triathlon. I was hooked. I  upgraded (was given by a client) my bike to a 1986 Raleigh technium last year.

I continued training same basic program, as my speed and endurance increased so did the distances I would train. This year I want to step it up and do a 70.3.

Family: I have been married for 18 years to my wife Michelle, she is a marketing rep for a nursing home. We have four children three girls ages 16, 15, and 13 and a son age 11. Our son was born is Guatemala. The three youngest have all done triathlons. My 15 year old did a sprint with me last year, very cool experience.

Current Training: The bulk of my training is done during my lunch. I run 5 miles Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I ride my bike on a trainer for 45 minutes Tuesday and Thursday. Then I try to do a long ride 1.5 hours and long run 6.2 or 7.5 miles on the weekend. If the weather is too bad to run, then I will do 20 minutes strength training and 20 minutes on the bike. I will also change my schedule around if I have to take a shorter lunch or I am out of town or I have a trial.

Last years race: 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival,  Sprint distance in East Tawas, MI. I finished with a time of 1:20:20 5th in my age group 31 of 167 overall. Exactly 10 minutes faster than the first year. I also did several 5k's a 10k and the iron cheese race (2 mile race, immediately followed by a 5 mile race.

This years races: This year I am going to do my first HIM at the 3 D triathlon festival again. I would also like to do a couple of Sprints during the summer, but that will be schedule dependant. I will also do the usual array of 5 and 10 k running races.

Edited by JBacarella 2011-12-21 10:21 AM

2011-12-21 10:21 AM

User image

Master

Ernesto will get a kick out of this...for $1.99 I will download the Maffetone book - I know there is value in there worth more than $1.99 and for that price how can I continue being stubborn and say no.  I've seen too many folks here benefit from the book - any knowledge is worth reading and understanding.

2011-12-21 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3947780

User image

Master
JBacarella - 2011-12-21 10:15 AM

Hi Ernesto,

My name is Jim user name jbacarella, and I would like to be a part of your group.

Story:I am 45 years old and live in a small town in NorthEast Michigan and work as an attorney.. At age 39 I had my annual physical and I would give myself a failing grade. It started with the nurse telling me that my BP was too high, and it got worse from there. I was 30 lbs overweight. As for all of the other tests if the number was supposed to be low, mine was high. If it was supposed to be high mine was low, finally I asked is there anything good? I was told my cholesterol was not high. I asked what is bad and was told 200, mine was 199.

That started a tight diet and I started walking ( I was a good runner in school, but a 15 years hiatus from exercise did a lot of damage), and I started loosing weight. I found it wasn't enough to diet and walk and I started to get bored. I tried softball, but found the Thursday night beer fest that the local men’s softball league was counterproductive.

Our town started hosting a triathlon four years ago. I drove through it the first year and it brought up all of the memories of ABC's wide world of sports coverage from the 80's. I quickly forgot about it. The second year was nearly the same experience, except this time I knew several people who were competing and I thought if they can do it, why not me! That is when I made the proclamation, to my wife, that I would do the triathlon in 2010. She responded with her standard Jim has another crazy idea ok. I followed up with asking her to teach me how to swim. She swam competitively in high school and was a WSI.

The next day, after I found out the distances for a sprint I stared "running" 5K at lunch. It took me 35 minutes and I walked half of it and could only run a couple of hundred yards without having to slow down and walk, but I did it.

I then added in the bike and I would ride my bike two day a week run three and then in the summer started swimming. I am also fortunate enough to live near Lake Huron, so I incorporated a half mile beach run with my kids every Sunday.

That first year I ran several 5k races and a couple of 10k's. I bought an old Montgomery Ward ten speed at a garage sale for $15.00 and September 2010 did my first Sprint Triathlon. I was hooked. I  upgraded (was given by a client) my bike to a 1986 Raleigh technium last year.

I continued training same basic program, as my speed and endurance increased so did the distances I would train. This year I want to step it up and do a 70.3.

Family: I have been married for 18 years to my wife Michelle, she is a marketing rep for a nursing home. We have four children three girls ages 16, 15, and 13 and a son age 11. Our son was born is Guatemala. The three youngest have all done triathlons. My 15 year old did a sprint with me last year, very cool experience.

Current Training: The bulk of my training is done during my lunch. I run 5 miles Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I ride my bike on a trainer for 45 minutes Tuesday and Thursday. Then I try to do a long ride 1.5 hours and long run 6.2 or 7.5 miles on the weekend. If the weather is too bad to run, then I will do 20 minutes strength training and 20 minutes on the bike. I will also change my schedule around if I have to take a shorter lunch or I am out of town or I have a trial.

Last years race: 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival,  Sprint distance in East Tawas, MI. I finished with a time of 1:20:20 5th in my age group 31 of 167 overall. Exactly 10 minutes faster than the first year. I also did several 5k's a 10k and the iron cheese race (2 mile race, immediately followed by a 5 mile race.

This years races: This year I am going to do my first HIM at the 3 D triathlon festival again. I would also like to do a couple of Sprints during the summer, but that will be schedule dependant. I will also do the usual array of 5 and 10 k running races.

Yay!  Another Michigander!

2011-12-21 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Thanks Chris...

I'm having technical issues with Garmin..  The "ant"agent isn't picking up my watch.  I have to email Garmin.

2011-12-21 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Today was my first day on my new road bike. First time in a road bike in 20+ yrs, so felt quite unsteady, especially when switching hand positions and getting the drink bottle (almost wiped-out!). Also first time measuring cadence with my Garmin 305, oh boy do I need to improve a lot! (info on my log)

Bad news: Cadence avg. in the 60s. A bunch of u-turns, a couple of traffic lights,  a few roundabouts, and the drink bottle fiasco probably affected the numbers, but my first time "playing" with cadence tells me I need to pedal much faster. Speed improvement from MTB not what I expected (only about 1.5 mph).

Good news: No problems with new clip-less pedals (i am used to from MTB), new shoes very comfy, finished 9.5 miles and felt more comfortable, and legs felt better at the end, than my usual 8 miles with MTB.

Overall, quite happy. I am sure that as I continue to get used to the bike and get more T.I.T.S. everything will improve, and cannot wait until next session. Quick question:

As a beginner, should I focus on maintaining a cadence between 80-90 at whatever gear I can do it? I think my speed might suffer at the end, but right now worried about improving rather than PRs. Also, not following any particular plan, just want to ramp up to 12-15 miles rides and improve my comfort in the bike before I dive head-first (wrong choice of words?) into a plan.

Comments? Suggestions?

2011-12-21 11:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Hi,

I'd like to join your group if there's space.  Will post bio later.

Rachel

2011-12-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3945239

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

chris2533 - 2011-12-19 10:16 PM 

Samy, If you hit the logs button under this post, you will seem my logs. Under the comment section I paste a link to my garmin connect page for that workout. Hit one and you will see. If you have a garmin, connect.garmin.com is a great website. One option is to make your workouts public. If you do this and paste the links like I've done, then Ernesto and the rest of us can see more detail about your workout. Chris

Thanks Chris! Played with the Garmin Connect last night and I think I got it. Pasted the info of my last few runs and my bike ride this morning, so it seems to be working. Thanks for the recommendation.

2011-12-21 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3947722

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jenputnam - 2011-12-21 9:58 AM  

Mark- When we first arrived I did experience something like that.  For several months it felt like my body was trying to fight the flu and it lead to me missing workouts because I thought I just needed rest.  

Thanks for the feedback Jennie. Good to feel I'm not alone with this...

Edited by markz 2011-12-21 11:19 AM
2011-12-21 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3947234

Regular
Sheboygan, WI
Hi Ernesto (and everyone else)

I would like to join your group if possible. My name is Tim Kaufmann, and last year I took the plunge for my first season of triathlon. I am a dentist, been married for 11 years, and have 3 children (ages 8, 6, and 4). I live in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and have been taking the last few months off, running long runs of 7 miles here and there. I will be starting my offseason training today, and want to do 2 HIM's this year in July and August. I will also sprinkle some sprints and olympics in there as well, and possibly a half-marathon or two.

Last year I started doing sprint triathlons (6 of them) from April to August, and then did two olympics in August and September (2:50). I have access to all the tools (powermeter, HRM, GPS, treadmill, pool, biketrainer, computrainer), and want to finish well in my races (top 25%). My weakness is running, and believe my strength is biking.

I look forward to joining your group and finding out more due to your experience as well as everyone else here in your group.

Thank you,
Tim Kaufmann
2011-12-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3947162

User image

Deutschland

Went for a swim today (best option in 11 degree weather).  I'm still not getting anywhere.  For those of you who don't know I only started swimming freestyle a year or so ago and it was a huge transition..  I spent years underwater diving so this has been a tough transition.  

I had Scott watch a few times but he doesn't see anything wrong.  I know I am still stroking to often and the end of the pool doesn't get any closer.  I am attaching the like to the you tube video.  From there you can see the one from several months ago.  I don't have a swim coach so I am flying blind on this area.  I know something isn't right.  Any insight yo all can give is greatly appreciated.  

Scott took this video from today's session...  Not sure if you can actually get anything from it but here it is.  I plan to get back in the pool on Thursday..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3q9eHGtkqA&feature=youtu.be

Jen-

A few thoughts:

Have you used paddles with a pull-buoy before?  I think you could benefit from them.

You're correct that your taking too many strokes.  This means that a.) your pull is probably not as efficient as it could be (you're moving your hand through the water, but not always pulling against it), and b.) you're not benefitting from a "glide" between each stroke.

I think if you leave your kick out of the equation for a while (the buoy) and focus on efficiency from each pull stroke, you might make some gains.  Paddles will give you good feedback on when you are being effective with your pull, and when you're not.  You will feel a significant change in resistance between the two.

I also notice that you seem to be crossing the "midline" on your hand entry.  This plays a role in lack of efficiency (you have to pull 'sideways' to get back on the correct side of the body before pulling back).  Paddles should help with this too (you might knock them off your hands a few times, but that's how you'll start correcting the issue).

Most important thing:  You want to benefit from a "glide" between each stroke (while the hand that just pulled is recovering, and the other hand has not yet started to pull).  When using paddles, focus on reaching as far forward as you can, to the point that you"re rotating your body more than you think you should, before you start pulling back.

Also, start chanting "long, smooth, glide, rotate", out loud, for at least 3 hours per day.  That might help.  I've done it before, and only a few people thought I might be losing it. Tongue out 

Edited by Fireball Small 2011-12-21 12:32 PM
2011-12-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3948130

User image

Master
Fireball Small - 2011-12-21 12:28 PM

Went for a swim today (best option in 11 degree weather).  I'm still not getting anywhere.  For those of you who don't know I only started swimming freestyle a year or so ago and it was a huge transition..  I spent years underwater diving so this has been a tough transition.  

I had Scott watch a few times but he doesn't see anything wrong.  I know I am still stroking to often and the end of the pool doesn't get any closer.  I am attaching the like to the you tube video.  From there you can see the one from several months ago.  I don't have a swim coach so I am flying blind on this area.  I know something isn't right.  Any insight yo all can give is greatly appreciated.  

Scott took this video from today's session...  Not sure if you can actually get anything from it but here it is.  I plan to get back in the pool on Thursday..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3q9eHGtkqA&feature=youtu.be

Jen-

A few thoughts:

Have you used paddles with a pull-buoy before?  I think you could benefit from them.

You're correct that your taking too many strokes.  This means that a.) your pull is probably not as efficient as it could be (you're moving your hand through the water, but not always pulling against it), and b.) you're not benefitting from a "glide" between each stroke.

I think if you leave your kick out of the equation for a while (the buoy) and focus on efficiency from each pull stroke, you might make some gains.  Paddles will give you good feedback on when you are being effective with your pull, and when you're not.  You will feel a significant change in resistance between the two.

I also notice that you seem to be crossing the "midline" on your hand entry.  This plays a role in lack of efficiency (you have to pull 'sideways' to get back on the correct side of the body before pulling back).  Paddles should help with this too (you might knock them off your hands a few times, but that's how you'll start correcting the issue).

DISCLAIMER: I Need major work on my swimming.

That being said, I utilized a coach a couple years ago.  Two things - I had major midline crossing issues with my hands.  She had me focus on trying to make my hands enter at 3 and 9 o'clock (impossible when you think about it) but the point was that I needed to really concentrate on getting my hands on the correct side of midline on entry and it felt very weird.  I still concentrate on keeping my hands entry point at a position that feels awkwardly far apart - this results in a correct point of entry for me.  Re: paddles - she had me use paddles so that I could (1) strengthen the muscles utilized in pull and (2) feel the correct hand position.  Yes, the whole arm becomes a paddle but I think I was shifting the angle of my hand in the water and losing efficiency.

End of the day - a qualified coach looking at and analyzing your stroke and helping you correct it is paramount.

Edited by dangremond 2011-12-21 3:46 PM

2011-12-21 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Samy, good to hear that you are enjoying your new bike and IMHO, I would not worry too much yet about your cadence/speed at this stage, but much more on getting comfortable riding on a new road bike.  It will get a lot easier and you will be able to go faster, more efficiently very soon.  We will see what Ernesto, others think.

On my side, today was a good workout day at high intensity and am probably full of lactose right now Smile.  I ran intervals in the morning at the track (8 X 1,000 mts at 7:00 avg min/mi pace) and then swam at lunch time 15 X 100 mts at avg 1:35 min/100.   Based on part on Ernesto's recommendation, I just started swimming at a new gym a week ago to interact with a group of the top triathletes in Guatemala.  So far I have been struggling trying to keep up with them, but am already seeing some progress and am enjoying the challenge of pushing myself way out of my comfort zone.   As the saying goes, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!"   

2011-12-21 4:10 PM

Veteran
Are you still open? I'd love to join if you'll have me.  If yes, I'll post a bio later when I'm not at work.
2011-12-21 7:22 PM
in reply to: #3946504

User image

Master
Dallas

JulDee - 2011-12-20 3:08 PM Ernesto and gang - 

JulDee, real name Joyce.  Age: 37  Location: South Jersey

Personal: 
Married my high school sweetheart 17 years ago.  We have two beautiful daughters (13 & 11) that I homeschool. 

My Story:
Began jogging to lose baby weight 6 years ago, always struggle in the winter, slow down or completely stop running.  This year, 2011 was my first tri. season. I attempted the mentoring group last spring before my first tri.  A busy summer added with my new love for training took over and I quickly lost touch. Recognizing my need for direction and the voice of experience, I once again sought out this mentoring group.    

Races:
Last season I managed to successfully complete my first sprint (June) and HIM (Sept).  I'm afraid the HIM was too much, too soon and am suffering some knee issues since. I've been floundering with my workouts and training since.

Current Training:
Winter consistency is not as bad as previous years.  I "exercise" 5-6 days a week, however, I recognize the need to "train". Don't want to waste these winter months and regret it come spring. Trying to maintain S/B/R, need direction and a routine that will most benefit my goals. Most training involves - taking classes at the gym, stepmill, spin 1-2x week, began running "Maff" style 2 wks ago, some strength training, and struggling with my love/hate relationship with the swim (in pool about 1x wk.)

2012 goals:
My main goal is to put my health first, recover my knees, race smart and be as strong as I can for next season. If my training and body allows, I plan to do another Sprint, HM and HIM. (fingers crossed)

Weightloss:
Have a tendency to put on weight if I'm not careful. Love, love, love good food! I generally choose my calories and enjoy healthier options.  I enjoy mostly vegetarian meals but have a serious carb addiction.  At 5'5" / 132lbs., I have an easy 7 lbs. to lose...that's an immediate goal! 

Why I would make a good mentee (this time):
I've made enough training mistakes and am ready to listen.  I am inspired by others victories. I enjoy the comradery and communication.  I've read enough of Ernesto's previous group post and trust the advice.  I'm intrigued by the "Maffetone training", looking forward to implementing the discipline to run mostly slow, and occasionally hard.  

I'd be grateful for the chance to actively participate in the group.

My immediate questions are about turning my "exercising" into effective training.  I have the "Big Book" and am several chapters in.  I just ordered the 305 this week and will begin to log my workouts. I currently can run about 5 miles while wearing knee support.  11:15 pace to keep HR in 142-147 range. 

Many Thanks! 

Joyce

Joyce, I'm glad to see you are taking good steps towards recovery. Maybe seeing a specialist (like an Orthopedic Surgeon) would be a good option if you haven't done so yet. Your carb addiction is not an exception, about 90% of the people battles it and it is incredibly hard to break. I struggle with it myself.

Also glad to know you are reading Maffettone, that book will help you understand many things from the physiology aspect. There's many ways you can stay fit without running, swimming is actually the best for people that is battling injury. Another thing that you may want to consider is to completely abandon running until healed, sometimes a step back is needed to take two forward...

Edited by ernestov 2011-12-21 7:30 PM
2011-12-21 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Let me know if you have room for one more and I will post the bio.  Would love to join if you got the room.
2011-12-21 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3948914

User image

Master
Dallas
JoePetto - 2011-12-21 7:28 PM Let me know if you have room for one more and I will post the bio.  Would love to join if you got the room.
You're in (probably one of the last ones) but please post your bio.

2011-12-21 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs

Today was mental toughness training day here.  As mentioned previously, Jennie and I started the day off with an indoor trainer workout.  This evening, with the temp dropping rapidly and snow falling, I resigned to driving to the base gym to run on the treadmill.  50 minutes and 5.6 miles later the torment was complete.  I'm actually looking forward to swimming tomorrow!  Jennie had a wicked headache tonight so she passed on the run but she'll be going to the pool with me tomorrow.

2011-12-21 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3947678

User image

Master
Dallas
Newtons1st - 2011-12-21 9:42 AM

Hopefully room for one more

Name: Todd

Story & Family: Got into Tris as it sounded fun. I am married with 4 kids. 17, 15, 15 boys and 4 yo girl. I am into more the Sprint and Oly races. Dont have any plans do do longer. Just really dont have the training time for them anyways. Played Baseball in college and needed to get back into shape after letting myself go.

Training: This is going into my 4th season racing. Last season was a mixed bag of improvments with moderate race results. Just couldnt get all 3 sides to come together at the same race. Working with power last year really helped.

WeightLoss:  I'm 5'11" and currently hover around 200-210.  I think this is one of my biggest limiters but I slack in the eating right department. 2012 is the year to fix that.

You're in Todd, we're neighbors! This year I raced the Toyota US Open in your area. Nice race btw. What is your issue when you put them (3 sports) together? Expand, I may be able to help.
2011-12-21 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3948922

User image

Master
Dallas
scottputnam - 2011-12-21 7:34 PM

Today was mental toughness training day here.  As mentioned previously, Jennie and I started the day off with an indoor trainer workout.  This evening, with the temp dropping rapidly and snow falling, I resigned to driving to the base gym to run on the treadmill.  50 minutes and 5.6 miles later the torment was complete.  I'm actually looking forward to swimming tomorrow!  Jennie had a wicked headache tonight so she passed on the run but she'll be going to the pool with me tomorrow.

I just don't see how you can cope with it... Must be tough to have to run indoors, I hate it big time.
2011-12-21 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3946844

User image

Master
Dallas
markhodges1973 - 2011-12-20 6:32 PM

Hi Ernesto - having read your bio and read posts from other returning mentees I would like to join your group.

Name: Username Markhodges1973; first name Mark (no surprise there!)

STORY: this will be my first year in Triathlon's as a participant!! I have signed up to a 16 week program which has an 'indoor' Tri at week 8 in my gym followed by a sprint after week 16. Prior to this I spent the last year 'learning' to run as prior to that I thought running around after my two girls kept me healthy :-) The big wakeup call was when I watched a friend participate in 70.3 Oceanside last year - seeing the multitude of people with varying abilities made me realize I could no longer use 'tomorrow' as an excuse. I changed my diet and started to swim again. Later that year I joined a running club and learnt to run. Earlier this year I again watched 70.3 Oceanside and knew I was hooked without even attempting a race myself. In parallel to the running I have spent the last 18 months researching my entry into Triathlons (Ernesto, you are not the only Geek!)

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two Girls 12 and 8. My Wife likes to run with me but has no interest in swimming and cycling other than supporting me. We are originally from the UK. I was Transferred to California just over 3 years ago and now reside in Clayton, NC.

CURRENT TRAINING: Still on my ‘recovery’ after completing my 13.1 in November. But as above, I have signed up to a 16 week program starting 1/5/12 and can’t wait!

THIS YEARS RACES: Indoor TRI at my gym, followed by Riverwood sprint on 4/28. *IF* I enjoy it, I have some more local sprints lined up.

2011 RACES:  All running - two 5K road, two 5M trail, one 13.1 City of Oaks. Does watching Oceanside 70.3 count?

WEIGHTLOSS: Family life helped me creep to 210 lbs. When I started running/swimming I ate ‘nutritionally’ as opposed to dieting and quickly dropped to 180. I have been at 172 lbs for several months now and very happy to fit back into my 32’’ jeans!!

Mark, I'm sorry it took so long, bad days at work... Good to have a Brit in the group, the UK is the new Australia when it comes to triathlon with some incredibly dominating athletes like the Brownlee brothers in Olympic distance, Chrissie Wellington in Ironman, Julie Dibens and Leanda Cave, just to name a few...

If you think triathlon is addicting, wait until you actually finish one! this is an incredible feeling that I wish I could bottle and sip every day when work sucks or I'm stressed out.

The first races (mostly the outdoor ones) will be all learning and fun, but you must take the pressure to perform completely out of your mind. Make the first races enjoyable and you are guaranteed longevity in the sport. This is a lifetime sport too! I love it when I'm racing/watching Ironman and I see 80 year olds smiling on the course and I wish nothing stops me from doing this between now and then.

Shoot your questions, maybe you have a lot now but shoot at will. The goal when being new to the sport is not to become fast, but proficient. Speed comes later as a a consequence of the adaptations that your body will create to the "stress" of workouts. Keep it long rather than fast, but even then increase distance safely (10% a week max).

2011-12-21 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3946875

User image

Master
Dallas
Jrdimaur - 2011-12-20 6:51 PM

I would like to join your group..

My username is jrdimaur, real name Joe.  I'm 32 5'11 189 lbs and live in NYC.

The fact you said you have a busy life fits well with my lifestyle too.

A little about myself... 

Races:
I have competed in many running races, and biking but I have never completed a TRI. 

Current Training:
Was on track with about 5 days a week.  Fell of past week due to craziness at work.

2012 goals:
Have fun, get in great shape & complete a few Tri's...  Complete NYC Olympic tri, and timberman half iron (aug)

Family:  Happily married.  Just had my first, a boy, 4 mos ago

Work:  Run a financial planning practice in NYC so it takes a lot of my time up and can make me lose focus on training.

Weightloss:
Not the biggest deal.  Could lose a few pounds but I really just want to get in good shape and be healthy.

Why I would make a good mentee (this time):
I have a lot to learn and I think if Im given the right direction I can really excel.  I have a good attitude and will always give something a shot.

Thanks!

Hi Joe and welcome,

First mentee from NYC, cheers! I too transitioned from running only to all three sports, and the best advice I can give you if you are attempting a half this 2012 is to start building a good aerobic base. Probably a lot of cycling to begin with and more swimming as the season approaches. Cycling requires very specific muscle fibers that you will never recruit while running, so a good scheme of workouts is necessary to get to your goals.

What's your race times in running races?

Edited by ernestov 2011-12-21 8:01 PM

2011-12-21 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3948079

User image

Master
Dallas

tkaufmann60 - 2011-12-21 12:06 PM Hi Ernesto (and everyone else) I would like to join your group if possible. My name is Tim Kaufmann, and last year I took the plunge for my first season of triathlon. I am a dentist, been married for 11 years, and have 3 children (ages 8, 6, and 4). I live in Sheboygan, Wisconsin and have been taking the last few months off, running long runs of 7 miles here and there. I will be starting my offseason training today, and want to do 2 HIM's this year in July and August. I will also sprinkle some sprints and olympics in there as well, and possibly a half-marathon or two. Last year I started doing sprint triathlons (6 of them) from April to August, and then did two olympics in August and September (2:50). I have access to all the tools (powermeter, HRM, GPS, treadmill, pool, biketrainer, computrainer), and want to finish well in my races (top 25%). My weakness is running, and believe my strength is biking. I look forward to joining your group and finding out more due to your experience as well as everyone else here in your group. Thank you, Tim Kaufmann

Tim,

I'll give you advice in exchange for a couple of crowns, deal? kidding... Good to know you are well equiped with all those toys, I just bought a power meter and Computrainer as well. Probably way more necessary in your part of the country I guess. Since you have all that info, I can probably help even more. I see your log is empty, where do you upload?

2011-12-21 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3948674

User image

Master
Dallas
elizabethk - 2011-12-21 4:10 PM Are you still open? I'd love to join if you'll have me.  If yes, I'll post a bio later when I'm not at work.
Post your bio and you're in as well. Smile
2011-12-21 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3947124

User image

Master
Dallas
monicamm68 - 2011-12-20 9:51 PM

I would like to join this group.

Name is Monica; user name is monicamm68

I am single and got into tri's about three years ago. This past season I wasn't able to compete due to various foot/knee injuries that I am trying to address with consistent strength training with a personal trainer that incorporates lots of core work into his total body circuits.

I am registered for the Shamrock HM in March and White Lake HIM in May. I am still looking for a "practice" tri prior to the HIM and just a fun one after.

Currently I am doing Jorge's cycling plan for HR's and trying to run 6x/week and swim twice a week. This week is messed up because knee swelled up for whatever reason. I think it might be another infection. See MD on Thursday.

Welcome to the group Monica, and I love the way you keep your log updated. There will be three of you doing Jorge's plan, maybe I'll do some of that too...
2011-12-21 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3947701

User image

Master
Dallas
flo mo - 2011-12-21 9:51 AM

I have not signed up for the race, but was going to sign up after the 1st.  I think it will be a good first race (300, 6mi, 2mi).  Not sure on what training plan to use.  I looked on the site and found 3 that looked pretty good for me.  The 3 that I am looking at are “Michael Pates total sprint – 22 weeks”, “The original 13 week sprint training” and 16 week sprint -2X Balanced”.   I was thinking of doing the “Michael Pates total sprint – 22 weeks” and starting on week 7 so it will finish the week of the race.  I like how it has the running broken up into walk/run intervals.  I am new to this and my knowledge is low.  I purchased a book a week ago called Your First Triathlon, by Joe Friel.  I got it in the mail yesterday, but have not started looking at it.  I will start my training on Monday Dec 26th.   I am open to your advise let me know what you think. 

Those plans will work, basically you should be pursuing a consistent and frequent training routine where mileage and speed are not the primary element. Friel's books are excellent too. Starting a plan on the 7th week though may not be a good idea, perhaps racing later is a better option. Remember that the season is long and there's many races you can do after. There's a reason for the first weeks and those are the crucial ones where you will become a traithlete.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122