BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-01-10 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4544153

User image

East of the Rockies
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - CLOSED

Hey Jan, I can sure relate to that morning alarm clock going off. I have some flexibility with my work schedule and last year I was at the gym by 5:30 in the morning. This year I just couldn't seem to get motivated to get out of bed so I am coming into work earlier and then leaving earlier and then hitting the gym on the way home. Working good so far athough I know once I start increasing my distances and times I may have to do a little bit of morning and afternoon, time will tell. Having just said all that I did sign up for a spin class yesterday that starts next week Wednesday at 5:45 am! haha I have been doing the same as you for swimming, "just swim" I will give Jason's work out a try although I am going to back off the distances as I am not anywhere near going for 4500-5000 m yet!! That is what is on the agenda today....strength training and swimming!

Later,       Howard

2013-01-10 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
bike 1hr, run 30min for tonight.
2013-01-10 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4572507

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
On tap for tonight.... 1 hr 20min ride...Criterium simulation...looks like this weekend is going to be in the 60s!!!!!
2013-01-10 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Weather is crazy here, we live in the snowbelt so normally have lots of snow. Forcast is a high of 52 on Saturday when the normal temperature is usually about 27. I might have to get the bike outdoors for a short rip.

It was great to get my trainer back and do a quick bike/run. The 1 hour workout combined with my 4km walk to wally world has me feeling like less of a slug today

2013-01-10 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4573047

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
after that crit training...my lungs are on the floor!!!! hurt locker
2013-01-10 11:07 PM

User image

, Washington

Tonight - 40 min run, 45 min on stationary bike

Tomorrow - 2800m in the pool (my favorite!)

BTW, I like to breath every other stroke, and favor my right side.  I can change it up for a while, but old habits die hard.

2013-01-11 9:55 AM

User image

, Washington

Core training question...

Haven't been able to squeeze core training in, though it's in my training schedule.  I'm plenty tired and don't have much free time left after fitting in all the scheduled swim, bike, and run sessions.  As a beginner, what's best... do all the scheduled swim, bike, and run sessions (full duration), or sacrifice a little duration to fit in core training too?  Or, perhaps build a swim, bike, run base for a few months, then start fitting in the core sessions?

Any thoughts or recommendations from you veterans?

-Nat

2013-01-11 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4573764

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
nskwilson - 2013-01-11 10:55 AM

Core training question...

Haven't been able to squeeze core training in, though it's in my training schedule.  I'm plenty tired and don't have much free time left after fitting in all the scheduled swim, bike, and run sessions.  As a beginner, what's best... do all the scheduled swim, bike, and run sessions (full duration), or sacrifice a little duration to fit in core training too?  Or, perhaps build a swim, bike, run base for a few months, then start fitting in the core sessions?

Any thoughts or recommendations from you veterans?

-Nat

I can't emphasize enought how important core training is! SBR is all driven from the core. Strong core equals faster times. Ideally I would like to work on core 3x a week but recently it has been 2x. My core is focused around doing Ab Ripper X workout which is about 15 minutes long. I definitely recommend it and it should not require you to carve out any normal training time. Sometimes I do it first thing in the morning while I have sportscenter on. It's a good quick workout that you will deliver results. 

2013-01-12 6:29 AM

User image

Regular
Hi!Jason, what is the core workout you are talking about? i struggle with knowing how and when to get in enough core workout too, Nat. My tri club is starting their annual "Biggest Loser" competition. There are weekly workouts and weekly weigh-ins. Everyone is divided into teams. I start this morning with a spin and then a run. My knee is bothering me so hope I can do it. I have 10 lbs to lose but mainly just want to get back on track with eating better and a routine of working out. My first weeks weigh in is today. :0 Jan
2013-01-12 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4574855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Jan, Core work is anything that will actively engage your abs. A lot of people mostly do some sort of crunches which is good but if done to often can actually make your core soft. I like P90x Ab Ripper X because it is not just crunches. It entails exercises that target the core in different variations. Planks are also a great way to work the core. 
2013-01-12 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4574855

Bartlett, TN

davisjanis58 - 2013-01-12 6:29 AM Hi!Jason, what is the core workout you are talking about? i struggle with knowing how and when to get in enough core workout too, Nat. My tri club is starting their annual "Biggest Loser" competition. There are weekly workouts and weekly weigh-ins. Everyone is divided into teams. I start this morning with a spin and then a run. My knee is bothering me so hope I can do it. I have 10 lbs to lose but mainly just want to get back on track with eating better and a routine of working out. My first weeks weigh in is today. :0 Jan

Good luck with the weigh-ins; the team approach is a good motivator.  My plan for losing is the same as yours right now.  Now that the holiday season is over and I finished off the last Sweet Potato Pie.  I just can't allow any sweets to be in the house or I will sniff them out before bedtime.

I think I need a rest day today which I hate because Saturdays are usually pretty good days to get some exercise in.  The rain has stopped and the temperature is in the 70's but I'm forcing myself to skip a run.  I have a little "twinge" in my knee, probably left over from Thursday racquetball, and I don't want to push it.

Edited by Day-Day 2013-01-12 3:42 PM

2013-01-12 5:53 PM

User image

, Washington

Bike questions...

1)  Going to switch pedals on my road bike... from pedals for Look style (3-bolt) to ones for SPD cleats (2-bolt).  I bought some shoes for RPM class and like them a little better for training than my tri shoes.  Does that seem reasonable?  Mainly, the shoes are more comfortable to walk in, and are all leather (unlike my highly vented mesh tri shoes) and thus warmer in the winter.  When it gets warmer and closer to race day, I'll switch back.

2)  What's the minimum set of tools you take with you on your cycling rides?  How about races?  Do you have a favorite multitool?  I'm about to order some stuff online, and am thinking about a multitool with spoke wrenches and chain breaker.

Sorry for what may be silly questions.  I'm total rookie at this cycling thing.

2013-01-12 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
I'm not real familiar with the SPD pedals as I have always used LOOK keo pedals and cleats. How often are you walking around in your cycling shoes? Generally more important in cyclocross or mountain biking but I don't really walk around in my cycling shoes. Other than that clears are a personal preference. Some like Look, some speedplay, some shimano. Figure out what works best for.you.

As far as a multi tool or any tool I'm one of those that doesn't carry anything but.nutrition, phone and credit.card with me on rides. I have the necessary tools at home like a multi tool, Allen wrenched, chain whip and other odds and ends. I don't take anything on races either. If I flat I just consider race over since I would never be able to change it and make up the time in and Olympic race. If I was doing an.Ironman than yeah I would carry a spare but didn't for my HIM. If your looking to just finish a race then yeah is carry a spare but just depends on your goals.
2013-01-12 11:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I have spds and look pedal systems. The spds are indeed much better to walk in but can create 'hot spots as the cleat doesn't spread the pressure out much. Not really a big deal on 1 or 2 hour rides but long rides in spds can feel like someone is holding a lighter right in the middle of your foot.

For bike kit I will take a picture tomorrow of what I carry its really small so I honestly can't think why you wouldn't carry it.

Edited by DaveL 2013-01-12 11:04 PM
2013-01-13 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4575697

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
DaveL - 2013-01-13 12:03 AM I have spds and look pedal systems. The spds are indeed much better to walk in but can create 'hot spots as the cleat doesn't spread the pressure out much. Not really a big deal on 1 or 2 hour rides but long rides in spds can feel like someone is holding a lighter right in the middle of your foot.

For bike kit I will take a picture tomorrow of what I carry its really small so I honestly can't think why you wouldn't carry it.

Yea Dave I probably should carry at least a spare kit with me on my training rides, but Im just to lazy. I run either Gatorskin or Armadillo tires which are great training tires

2013-01-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4575884

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Swimmer04 - I didnt mean to call you out on it I meant it as more of a "I wouldnt go anywhere with out a repair kit as it has bailed me out a number of times."

alright here are the pictures, this started with the tiniest bag I was able to find which neatly tucks under/behind the seat.

Tools are a mutlitool (screwdrivers and hex tools), 2 tire levers, 2 C02 cartridges with head, patch kit (patch, glue and sandpaper) and a spare tube which all fits (barely) into the bag. By no means is this a complete kit with a chain breaker, extra chain pieces, spare brake pad, spoke wrench etc. etc. What this kit is what I would consider the minimum and cover likely scenarios - up to 2 flat tires, a loose accessory or something needing an adjustment.

I commuted to work (100miles round trip) did a century and a few 100+KM rides and this kit helped me a number of times. Never had to use it in a race thankfully - but even if I did I would still rather fix my own bike then be picked up by the sag wagon.

Also - another point -  did a charity ride last year, it was cold and drizzling rain, climbing a hill I saw a guy and the side of the road with a flat, tire partially removed, tube half taken out while still on the frame. I could see that he had an extra tube and pump but I asked if he had ever changed a flat before. He said no - I stopped, took the wheel off the bike, showed him to check the inside of the tire for thorns or glass that might have poked through, I started the tube by blowing in the valve, mounted in on the rim with the tire and once seated I inflated it with my C02 pump - I took my time so he could watch and learn but it was still likely less than 5mins.

The point - try the stuff out at home so you know what to do when the stuff hits the fan.

2013-01-13 3:51 PM

User image

, Washington
Thanks for the info Jason and Dave... very helpful!
2013-01-14 6:18 AM

User image

Regular
Hi everybody!Great weekend, spin class sat with biggest loser group. Plus core ( I do planks, Knee ups with ab straps and Rip 60 suspension workout but no more jumping, just doing the suspension exercises which involve core work, my husband has PX 90 will have to check that out) Sunday swim. They had treated the pool with salt? and it felt like the water was thick and hard to swim through! But made for good workout!Lost 3 lbs at my weigh in! My main issue is sweets too, David, but also alcohol! I love red wine! I can't keep either around the house. Dancing on Sat night!I don't normally do spin classes, I would rather be on my bike on trainer but I did because of group. We were seated then she said to stand. I did not think about the fact that the wheels keep spinning even when your legs stop briefly- left pedal ripped my cleat out and I fell forward and really banged up my left shin. Now my right knee and left leg both hurt. No more spins!Another swim today to let my legs rest. All the best to all of you!Jan
2013-01-14 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4576935

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy

Sounds like a great weekend of training Jan....Rest those legs.

My weekend went pretty well. Saturday was a 2Hr bike ride concentraiting on my HR. First hour tried to keep it in 145-165bpm easy controled spin then 3 laps at race pace around a 3.27 mile loop with 1 loop easy spin in between. HR 175-178 on the race pace efforts. Each lap I was slightly faster than the one before.. great workout.

Sunday was a crappy day weather wise...originally they wanted sunny and 60 well it was low 40's and REALLY FOGGY!!! I decided to do a easy trail run roughly 1 hour. The trail close to my house is extremely technical with very steep climp and full of rocks and turns. Tough to run this at a fast pace but great for building leg strength (I can feel it in my butt today). Had a little knee pain start to creep up during the run which is an IT Band issue, very frustrating. Just have to keep stretching and easing back into I guess. Any one else every have ITB issue?

2013-01-14 9:23 AM

User image

New user
Nashville, TN
Jason, I actually just started having IT Band issues within the past month.  I think I let everything get too tight during my marathon recovery, and now I can't keep a run more than a mile without a lot of knee pain. The Doc said lots of stretching and patience, which is hard for me... Was supposed to do a half marathon this past weekend but decided to cancel it.  The one I have planned for next month isn't looking too good either. Silver lining: I'm doing a lot more swimming and biking than I would have if I could run normally!
2013-01-14 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4577227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy

morsebj - 2013-01-14 10:23 AM Jason, I actually just started having IT Band issues within the past month.  I think I let everything get too tight during my marathon recovery, and now I can't keep a run more than a mile without a lot of knee pain. The Doc said lots of stretching and patience, which is hard for me... Was supposed to do a half marathon this past weekend but decided to cancel it.  The one I have planned for next month isn't looking too good either. Silver lining: I'm doing a lot more swimming and biking than I would have if I could run normally!

Yeah i had the issue around december/january last year. Went to the Ortho Doc and did a round of therapy and they gave me lots of stretching and strength work. Eventually the pain went away. Since I havent been running since beginning of Nov it has decided to come back. I know I need to ease back into running and do only 30 min at a time, but also very hard for me knowing I have the fitness to be running for 1hr+

2013-01-14 1:36 PM

User image

East of the Rockies

Good day all!! Well, I am glad to hear I am not the only one with a sweet tooth! Jan that weekly weigh in would really help...I think I might do that on my own just to keep myself accountable to me!! My goal is to lose at least another 15lbs this year...be better if I could lose 20! I don't have any trouble with my IT band but a right foot that likes to fall asleep around the 4km mark! I think I may have found a cure in an orthotic....time will tell! Had an excellent weekend didn't do much in the way of triathlon training per se but refereed 5 Sr boys basketball games Fri-Sat and then went to a swimming clinic Sunday for 5 hours. It was excellent! Learned the purpose of the "drills" and how to do them properly. It was a huge learning curve for me and will take weeks to put it all into practice. I am excitied to do just that! The video session was invaluable and can clearly see all the mistakes I am currently making. I am really hopeful that it will help to make me a stronger, faster and more confident swimmer!!!         Howard

Edited by hwkirby 2013-01-14 1:51 PM
2013-01-14 6:19 PM

User image

Regular
I hear so much about IT band issues! I don't know what the answer is, but I know that is very common amongst triathletes. We have a chiropractor on our tri team and I never would have thought I would ever go to a chiropractor but he understands triathletes and can usually treat things without making you stop what you want to do, including plantar fasciitis, neck and back pain. I am also taking a swimming clinic starting on Thurs evening. It was a great deal and will be run by the owner of a swim pool and club, and also a triathlon coach. Every Thurs until early April. I have my first race late April so in hopes this will help. I do think weighing in front of someone and knowing an entire team is counting on you helps me. Not sure I am going to swim tonight. It is so cold and icy out and I had a long day, may just take a day off. Good luck to you with the IT band issues and foot numbness. I wish good health and workouts to everyone!Jan
2013-01-15 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
weekly weigh in huh, Well I am at 200lbs now, I have lost a couple in my pre training training but still have a long ways to go. I "formally" started my Oly program yesterday with a bike. I have a 24min run and 24min swim to knock out tonight.
2013-01-15 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
1 hour and 15 in the pool this morning, nice and easy sets about 350 yards, then 45 minutes of strength training, chest back and shoulders, and to top it off 33 min run at easy pace with not IT band issues.....all done by 8am!!! BOOM!...COFFEE!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 15