BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-01-25 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4560540

User image

Master
Subject: RE: FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING!

Hi all.  It's been super crazy busy at work (which is good and I am thankful), but it doesn't leave me much time to do anything else.  I think I'm all caught up though.  

My goals for will have to start on Monday.  Tomorrow is my bday and I will likely eat something fried and sweet which I normally avoid.  I'll feel bad about it Sunday and hopefully get in a few remorseful miles  

2013-01-25 5:29 PM
in reply to: #4594909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
happy birthday! enjoy the day for sure! and eat something delicious!
2013-01-26 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4586187

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

Anne.. Im not sure when you will see this but ....my shins only felt discomfort on the last 3 or 4 runs.  They never really bugged me prior to that.  They dont hurt when walking or standing.  On a side note, Ive always been super sensitive on my shins...I hate for them to be touched..ask my family!!  I cant handle any type of massage on my legs from the knees down...ask the ladies doing my pedicures!!!  hahaha.  Sounds silly doesnt it!  I can say though that lately my shins have been super sensitive.  When our dog rubs up against them I squeel.  I havent run since Wednesday.  Ill give it a week then go for a short run next week and see how they feel.  I think Im gonna bite the bullet and get that gym membership at the gym now.!! 

Have a FANTASTIC time at Disneyworld!!!  We're Planning a Disney Cruise this summer!! 

2013-01-27 11:38 AM

User image

I did not complete my goal. :-(
But there is next week, I suppose.

To the lady with shin splints (Elena? Sorry!), stretch out your calves after every run and even before you run. It will help. Get on some stairs and drop each foot to stretch out those tight calves. If you don't actively stretch your calves, you will very likely keep getting the shin splints. Good luck!

Anne: have fun in Disneyworld!
2013-01-27 8:54 PM

New user

Hi all! Sorry I've been missing. I've been struggling with logging on using my computer. Posting from my phone tonight. Swimming is going great but I feel like my running, which is short and slow, has been even worse and it has been too cold and windy to do much biking. I know, quit whining!
:-P
I will take the February bike century challenge, I need it! My goal for this week- 2 good swims, 9 miles running, 20 miles on the bike. And maybe some yoga...

Good luck to everyone with your goals for the week! Keep smiling and keep moving.
Lindley
2013-01-27 11:42 PM

Oregon

Hello everyone!

I feel completely out of my element here as everyone seems way more experienced than myself. Thus why I have not posted much but I have been logging my workouts and staying in my own little bubble (the indoor track at the community center during basketball practice four days a week). I don't have a bike yet...I warned my husband that the plastic is coming out after Mother's Day.

First thing I did after signing up here was take to the outlet mall and re-vamp my workout clothes and paint my toe nails a fierce color. It makes me feel a little better. I am faking it till I make it or in this case finish the race.

What is century??? I haven't a clue how to figure out how long or far I am riding on the spin bike as my community center has more recumbent bikes and only two spin bikes. Can I start out on a recumbent bike?

I have a tentative tri race in September planned. I just filled my calendar with the training plan for half-marathon :finish it, from Run Like a Mother. The plan I attempted last summer. I want to do a half marathon in May with my sister.

My running is coming along, pain free. I am slow but I am okay with that.  Yoga is helpful. My swimming is good as well. I am slow but happy to have figured out how to do a flip turn which is helping me to swim faster. The old guys at the pool are still faster than me. Like my sister always says-we are out there, slow, but at we are off our sofas! Bike I am looking forward to. I think it will be fun. I will not be riding my bike where I live so I will need to have a indoor trainer and a bike rack on my car as I will be riding on the road when I visit my parents.

My biggest obstacle is living so far away from the gym. I really have to plan my days when I have to pick up my girls from school and hit basketball practice after school I don’t get home till 7pm. Dealing with a tired 8 year old on the indoor track is exhausing. I know that I can run longer but I am not able to.  I just discovered that I can have my daughter climb the rock wall while I run. It is well worth every penny and she is happy.

This quote helps me when I feel overwhelmed which is pretty much every day:

You are stronger than you seem, braver than you believe and smarter than you think you are
-A. A. Milne

Have a great week!

Mary

2013-01-28 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4597234

User image

Master
maryew - 2013-01-27 11:42 PM

Hello everyone!

I feel completely out of my element here as everyone seems way more experienced than myself. Thus why I have not posted much but I have been logging my workouts and staying in my own little bubble (the indoor track at the community center during basketball practice four days a week). I don't have a bike yet...I warned my husband that the plastic is coming out after Mother's Day.

First thing I did after signing up here was take to the outlet mall and re-vamp my workout clothes and paint my toe nails a fierce color. It makes me feel a little better. I am faking it till I make it or in this case finish the race.

What is century??? I haven't a clue how to figure out how long or far I am riding on the spin bike as my community center has more recumbent bikes and only two spin bikes. Can I start out on a recumbent bike?

I have a tentative tri race in September planned. I just filled my calendar with the training plan for half-marathon :finish it, from Run Like a Mother. The plan I attempted last summer. I want to do a half marathon in May with my sister.

My running is coming along, pain free. I am slow but I am okay with that.  Yoga is helpful. My swimming is good as well. I am slow but happy to have figured out how to do a flip turn which is helping me to swim faster. The old guys at the pool are still faster than me. Like my sister always says-we are out there, slow, but at we are off our sofas! Bike I am looking forward to. I think it will be fun. I will not be riding my bike where I live so I will need to have a indoor trainer and a bike rack on my car as I will be riding on the road when I visit my parents.

My biggest obstacle is living so far away from the gym. I really have to plan my days when I have to pick up my girls from school and hit basketball practice after school I don’t get home till 7pm. Dealing with a tired 8 year old on the indoor track is exhausing. I know that I can run longer but I am not able to.  I just discovered that I can have my daughter climb the rock wall while I run. It is well worth every penny and she is happy.

This quote helps me when I feel overwhelmed which is pretty much every day:

You are stronger than you seem, braver than you believe and smarter than you think you are
-A. A. Milne

Have a great week!

Mary

If you are hitting the track 4 days per week and also getting some swim time in...you are doing phenomenal!  Time is definitely the hardest part.  I, too, have a cranky 8 year old, but he is the one playing bball on the court that I'm running around, so I'm lucky on that front.  

A half mary in May seems totally do-able...especially if you are running pain free now.  Just remember not to up the mileage too much in any one week.  

A century is a 100 mile bike ride.  It seem like a ton, but spread out over Feb., it's only about 3.5 miles per day.  A couple of sessions on the spin or recumbent bike each week will easily get you to that goal.  

You will rock your tri in Sept!

~Carla

2013-01-28 12:15 PM

Hey all - 

Well I didn't quite complete my goal as my move did not end up happening until yesterday!  Now it's time to get in the pool!!  

Mary, I'm also a way beginner as well, so I'm pretty sure questions asking to you all is going to start happening more and more frequently from me :-) :-)

And shin splints - I used to suffer from these and actually thought I would never be able to do a triathlon because of this problem, but this past summer I changed my running form to striking with front of my foot instead of the heel and it was like a miracle.  One day, shin splints, next day nothing (except for sore calves, but that only lasted a day).  I have not had any since.  I know everyone's body shape is different, so I am not saying it is the way to go for everybody, but it sure did work a miracle for me.  

Good work everybody!  You are all so inspiring :-)

~coty

2013-01-31 10:40 AM

User image

Master
How is everyone doing???
2013-02-01 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4597109

New user

Happy Friday!!! Cool

I am pleased to say I am on my way to completing my goals for the week. I am planning to check out the bike/run course that is set for the Tri I am registered for in March- my first event. I am so excited! I am going to ride/run it tomorrow which will take me to the goal distances I set for myself (minus about 2 miles on the bike- but so close, I am still calling it a win!) Plan to clean house and do some yoga on Sunday.

How is everyone doing? Are you making your goals so far? Good luck to each of you- keep moving and keep smiling! Wink

2013-02-02 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hi everyone!

I'm home from a week in Orlando at Disney. All the walking every day carrying my 3 year old was a great workout! I did fit in one swim workout while there. Otherwise I just walked my off and rode stuff with my kids.

So yes- a century is 100 miles. At first that seems a bit much but even if you chose a half century (50 miles) that is only a little over 10 miles biking TOTAL per week. If you are on a bike, you should be able to see your speed/avg speed. Don't get too technical- if you know you were somehwere between 12 and 16 miles per hour, pick something in the middle as your speed (if your bike does not tell you avg speed). Use your time and your speed to figure out your mileage if it is not given to you on the bike screen. Example: you rode 30 minutes, at about 14mph, so your mileage is 7 miles.

One of my issues is I have a rare migraine condition called hemiplegic migraine. My neorological system sucks . By day 2 of any trip I'm in hell. Basically it works like this- my neurological senses get overwhelmed and i get vertigo. Right now I am sitting down but my body is acting like its on a roller coaster. It's like constant motion sickness, closing your eyes and everything is moving type of thing. If I ride an elevator, a week later I can be walking down a grocery aisle and suddently my body is plummeting down an elevator again. ANYwAY that is what I am dealing with today. But still hoping to fit in my first bike towards my February Century Goal!!!

2013-02-03 9:11 PM

User image

Hey ladies.

Fell off the planet there for a little while - well, at least the online portion of it. Ran 17.5 kilometers in 36 hours. My legs hurt now. But with the balmy +9 degree C temperatures, who can resist. My whiter than sour cream legs sure stuck out as I ran in capris... There was something weirdly satisfying about it though, just the same. I love the winter/spring shoulder season.

I will not accept the cycling challenge (Party pooper I know) because until the dance show is over, I haven't an ounce of free time. I will attempt it in March.

Keep up the awesome work everyone!

-Irene 

2013-02-04 9:04 AM

User image

Master

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Our weather was beautiful (sunny and 60), so we took complete advantage of it.  Played outside all weekend.  We were also fairly productive in the laundry and clean house department as well.  Now, if they would just start the Super Bowl at 3pm so we could all get to bed at a decent hour, it would have been the perfect weekend

Not sure I'm going to be able to get a century done in Feb., but I did log my first 16 yesterday.  I would like to strive for a peachy February though.

Hope everyone has a great week!

~Carla

2013-02-04 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
It's nice to be back to NORMAL- my poor body is still recovering from vacation - mainly, getting rehydrated. Spent a good portion of my ride today with a cramp in the arch of my foot but I kept going.

You will always find a thousand reasons to stop - or never start. But part of endurance sports is you have to find that one reason to KEEP GOING.

BIKE CHALLENGE- For those of you that are doing it, give us an update- where are you mile wise?

For those of you opting not to do it- then I expect you to choose a different challenge for this month. Maybe keep everything peach? Run a certain number of miles? Post it on here and that way you hopefully stay focused, and we can cheer you on as you go.

I chose a bike challenge because the BIKE is where you will spend the most time of your race. It is where you need to build a strong base NOW, even if it is indoor, because once you can get outside, you need to start doing brick workouts- where you bike, then immediately get off and run a mile or so. Just about anyone can float their way through a swim; and when you do your first sprint tri you will see plenty of people walking that 3.1 mile "run". The bike is where you need to build strength and endurance so you can get off and RUN.

At this point in the year- yes, February- you should have a race you are training FOR. If you are looking to a fall race instead of a spring, then you should have goals for building a base, and still have a target race. You should also have some sort of training plan- to avoid injury.

And now we get to the part where I straight talk.

Here's the deal- you have to do something 21 times to become a habit. That's everything from working out to drinking water to logging your workouts. Some of you are not logging- or coming on here- so I'm going to assume you are done. Today was the last day for me to leave comments on blank days. You want an inspire- post something. NO ONE can you get you training except for you. Triathlon is not a team or a group sport. Yes, we can all support each other, but let me tell you this for sure- when it sucks out there, running in the heat, or swimming in sludge, or changing a flat in front of a farm straight out of a horror movie- NO ONE CAN DO THIS BUT YOU. You have to be your own motivator and it starts NOW. Triathlon is not for the faint of heart- even the sprints. I can name a crap ton of people who have done one and are done- they are not triathletes, all they can say is they did a triathlon once. And if you are a woman- then you gotta dig deep and find that strength and motivation because men will kick the out of you in this sport and you have to be ready. YOU have to picture every damned person who told you that you CANT do this and picture their big nasty ugly face. You have to be your biggest motivator, your #1 fan, the kicker of your own .

It's FEBRUARY. You have 28 days to do something. You wake up tomorrow and you put on your shoes. You put a countdown app on your phone to your big race. you write on a note "i'm going to do my first race on " and put the date on and then put it under your pillow or someplace safe and every single day you work towards this goal. Because you choose to, because you can, because you are going to cross that finish line and cry and then do it all over again.
2013-02-04 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4597974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Every week is new.

So transfer that goal to now and do it!!!!

Guess that makes more sense - in case you can't tell, my comment above was edited by others than me.

Apparently I can't say lightweight curse words. I apologize.

Edited by AKR18 2013-02-04 7:46 PM
2013-02-05 8:57 AM

User image

Master
OK, now I'm going to be completely freaked out next time I have to stop and change  flat!  LOL  

2013-02-05 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I think it's just in Ohio that every barn looks deserted and have serial killers lurking.....

Today was a day I had to be THANKFUL just to fit in a workout. I ran before my swim- could not run outside, as the track was covered in snow, and I can not leave the property of the Y while my child is in their childcare. I ran inside (I don't do treadmills- they give me shin splints) on the gym track, dodging the walkers or the zombies, as most of them were. the pool water was ridiculously hot today and I was cramping up after 25 minutes- surely part to do with the water temp,a nd part to do with getting back to hydrating after Disney.

I was wondering, though- can everyone do THIS for me- share with us a TYPICAL day for you, and where you live and what it's like, RIGHT NOW. I want all of us to see that we all have challenges and that fitting in training is never easy. Pick a day and give us some insight! I'm going to go with yesterday (Monday):

-5:00am alarm goes off; husband heads downstairs to the computrainer; I roll back over to sleep more.
6:30am- 2 littlest kids are up, I've got coffee and am checking emails
7-8:30 make breakfasts, pack lunches; get school bags packed; get the kindergardener dressed; get both school kids bundled up and backpacks on and bags wtih snow pants ready to go. Bus comes. Sometime before 8:30 husband heads to work.
8:30-9 get dressed, get little one dressed, grab grocery bags and a partial list; head to playdate
12:00 leave playdate, go to grocery store, forget half the we need because my list was only partly done
1:30 groceries unpacked, lunch done, head downstairs to work
1:30-4:30 write entries for work; submit batch of entries; UPS comes with more work; assure my boss I will make my Wednesday deadline for the writing
4:00 kids home from school, everyone yelling, me begging them for a few minutes to finish up my work (see above)
4:15 shovel snow
4:30 bike shorts on, throw a bag of chips to the wolves for a snack, get on the trainer
5:00 kindergardner sits at my desk next to the bike trainer, I help her with homework
5:30 husband home, me off the bike, get oldest ready for swim practice
6:00 carpool comes, oldest leaves
6:15 shower (finally)
cook dinner
7:00 eat dinner, sit for extra 15 minutes at table reading a magazine while the 3 year old refuses to drink her milk
7:30 hop on BT to check logs
7:45 little kids losing their minds, put them in bathtube, jammies, 8:15 bedtime
heat up dinner for 10 year old
8:30 sit with 10 year old while she eats
Watch two Dvr'd episodes of How I met Your MOther while the 10 year old showers and gets ready for bed and gets in trouble for being too loud and trying to wake up the littles
9:30 get ready for bed and BED; 10:30 still staring at TV willing myself to sleep; finally asleep around 10:40

Weather where I am- northwestern Ohio, USA, near the Michigan border, near Lake Erie. COLD. It's snow time here, almost every day is cold and gray. Today the sun was out and I thought it was warm (it was 26 degrees Fahrenheit). Running outside is my preference but I must have childcare to do that; I normally run outside at our YMCA but there is too much snow there now. I will run outside this saturday at a local metropark very early while my husband watches the kids- then he will meet me and switch off to go run while I watch the kids.

Go-To Training: When all else fails, my bike on the trainer is one thing I can always do. That and 20 minutes of my favorite dvd, AM Yoga with Rodney Yee.
2013-02-07 9:19 AM

User image

Master

Too many lazy (white) squares on my training log...all my fault...all bad or lazy decisions on my part.  I wish I could call them "recovery squares"

I will get a run in tonight.  

2013-02-07 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4612603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
crews - 2013-02-07 10:19 AM

Too many lazy (white) squares on my training log...all my fault...all bad or lazy decisions on my part.  I wish I could call them "recovery squares"

I will get a run in tonight.  

You'll feel much better after you run! Go get 'em!
2013-02-08 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Hey Anne, how's it going?

Oh hey me, pretty good.

How is that bike goal?

Coming along. I want to get to 150. It'll be a stretch with the move and all. Totes Crazy.

Or you could say "Cray"

Yep, but I'm a bit old to say "Cray"

Didn't you just say "totes"?

Touche, self, Touche.

Alright group, get training so I have some logs to write on. Is ANYONE doing a challenge this month? I'm happy to keep menoring myself but I am seriously considering re-opening this to more people.....
2013-02-08 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Ok. I'm still here Ann!! ... It's been much harder than last year (that I remember anyway) with getting back on track....With training, with healthy eating, with the mentor group, with feeling self motivation. Plus I started working (substitute teaching) a lot lately. No its not demanding but im definitely Not used to working AND training on the same days!.. Thereforr haven't trained!! Aaaaaaaggh!!!. I really hate this feeling so that why I've been MIA. Anne I do appreciate you and have lots to learn from you. Plus I don't want this group to fizzle... It's SO fizzling...but I'm still In! Any others? ! :D Anyhow:: I've got a long ride planned tom morning w some friends. I usually ride alone. We are all different levels (12/13 mph, 14, 17mph) and not sure how its gonna flow. Shooting for 35 miles. Yay! Thanks Anne for the shin-splint info. I ran 6+ on Sunday and haven't run since. I didn't feel any pain but felt random shooting-aches on my shins afterward. I'm just scared now. It's easier to not run.. so I don't have to feel any pain..than to run & possibly still feel thas shin discomfort. Does that make sense? I know I've got to stretch more. So I will. I'll ck in tom when everyone is back

2013-02-08 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4612603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
crews - 2013-02-07 7:19 AM

Me too! What do you have planned his weekend?
2013-02-08 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Here I again. Lol. February goals: double century..ha! Would love to get at least 200 bike miles. Got in 130 last mo. I have a duathlon on March 10th. 6run-25bike-3run and would like to see a big improvement on my time from last year. Also Getting that gym membership next week. Gotta start swimming. Sprint tri in May.
2013-02-09 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4615369

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
EV3110 - 2013-02-08 11:19 PM

Here I again. Lol. February goals: double century..ha! Would love to get at least 200 bike miles. Got in 130 last mo. I have a duathlon on March 10th. 6run-25bike-3run and would like to see a big improvement on my time from last year. Also Getting that gym membership next week. Gotta start swimming. Sprint tri in May.

If you stretch you can avoid the shin splints- best thing for me though was to use The STick to rub the hell out of my legs almost every night. I'm also a big believer in running in my compression sleeves.

if I have 2 people still going, it's a not fizzle! So Keep on going!!!

ran 7.1 this morning - my last long cold morning run at the park with my girlfriends. We laughed, we cried- I'm going to miss them all so much.

Anyway, I've got a long bike planned tomorrow morning, then master swimming. I'm still hoping for 150 but my bike gets packed up Wed the 27th.... Good luck on the group ride!
2013-02-09 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Anne, good run for you yesterday. Today's Ride completed. Whoot! 24 miles @ 8 am in 35 degrees. Toesies numb. 13.7 avg. would like to go for a short run later. I definitely will stretch. Might need to incorporate a p90x yoga day in my weekly trainings to loosen up the calf muscles (among others!).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants' Tri Gals- FULL and CLOSED and TRAINING! Rss Feed  

of 9