BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-01 6:21 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - OPEN
Originally posted by thor67

Ding! 1 for 30, 19 to go on the 20 in 31 day workout challenge. Did everyone get a workout in today?

Nope. pneumonia is kicking my arse!

2014-01-01 9:14 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Originally posted by SportzVision

Ding! 1 for 30, 19 to go on the 20 in 31 day workout challenge. Did everyone get a workout in today?

Got mine in today too. 45 min on the bike trainer. Take it easy with the pneumonia. Hope you get better soon.
2014-01-01 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

1/30. I forgot how motivating it is to report for the monthly challenges. One way or another tomorrow, I will make it happen.
2014-01-02 4:42 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
I'll have to fill out my info/story after while, but I gotta get my name in here! I I pined over this group last year, but didn't make it in time!
2014-01-02 7:58 AM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

2/30 with a run this morning!

For those in the 20/31 challenge, any workouts you get this week are bonus w/o's!

Cheers!

2014-01-02 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Ouch, get better then get going!

2014-01-02 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Bradleykd

I'll have to fill out my info/story after while, but I gotta get my name in here! I I pined over this group last year, but didn't make it in time!

Brad - welcome to the party. The BDAS is filled with great people and I am thrilled to have you joining our group this year! We've got a 20 for 31 challenge going on right now and I hope you will join (you need to work out 20 times during the month. Simple right?). I'm looking forward to reading your full bio as well as well!
2014-01-02 10:35 AM

User image

Expert

Cynthia - So glad to have you back in the BDAS. For all of you who are new to the group - you will figure out soon enough that he was a little tough on herself in her bio. Truth is - she is one of the toughest people on BT! She will deny this - but just wait until you hear about the nosebleeds that she sometimes gets while running. B@d!

I Love your goal list - which ones are you going to focus on first?

Sorry that you are feeling badly. I hope you feel better soon!
2014-01-02 10:40 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

On NYE I enjoyed a couple fine IPA's, "Sculpin" from Ballast Point and "Ruination" from Stone. Yesterday I rode my bike back into town to pick up my truck (no driving after drinks!), however I don't really consider it much of a workout for the "20/31" challenge. Tonight I'll be hitting the gym for some cardio work for my first real workout of the new year.

2014-01-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Another reminder for everyone....

Anybody up for a 20 workouts in 31 days challenge? Will make easy with minimums of 15minute swims, 20 minute runs and 30 minute bikes.

Also, for those new to BDAS/beginner triathlete, you will see inspires from everyone which is a great inspirational tool/kick in the pants. If you reply, make sure you click on the reply button so it will show up on the other persons inspires.(if you just type in the box at bottom, the other person will not know about the reply)

2014-01-02 11:03 AM
in reply to: jimyak

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jimyak

Hi David,
I would like to jointhe group. I'm Jim from Iowa.

Story; I was an athlete many years ago but it was mostly weight training. I did a sprint in 2012 and enjoyed it a lot. It felt real good training and doing a race. My goal was to finish a sprint. I did finish the race but i think i was passed by every girl while riding the bike. All I herd was "on your left" I lost some weight back then and was feeling good. I had some health problems that carried over through the 2013 season (kidney) but all is well now. I want to get back into shape and drop some weight. I am about 240 pounds and sluggish from no training.

Family; I have a wife and 7 yo girl at home. I also have 2 sons in California 30 and 29. The older one does half iron man.

Current training; I just started weight training using light weights and high reps. I am set up with a treadmil and spinning bike at home and the YMCA for the pool (25 yard).

Beer; It is anything hoppy. I also have made my own beer the last was a hoppy honey brown. I am a member of the MOB, (makers of beer)

Future races in 2014; a sprint in June to start but all depends on training and commitment.

Jim - Welcome to the BDAS! As a fellow midwesterner (I'm from Cleveland) I'm glad to have you. I'm happy to hear you have beaten the problems with your kidney's (people out in Boston call problems "pissers" (which is pronounced pissah) and it sounds like what you went through was a wicked pissah!.

Having trained for a sprint before - I think you will probably progress even faster than last time. Let is know if there is anything we can do to support you!

2014-01-02 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

2/30 with a run this morning!

For those in the 20/31 challenge, any workouts you get this week are bonus w/o's!

Cheers!

2/30 with a 40 minute cycle trainer workout.
2014-01-02 11:06 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by MOlsen

On NYE I enjoyed a couple fine IPA's, "Sculpin" from Ballast Point and "Ruination" from Stone. Yesterday I rode my bike back into town to pick up my truck (no driving after drinks!), however I don't really consider it much of a workout for the "20/31" challenge. Tonight I'll be hitting the gym for some cardio work for my first real workout of the new year.

I've seen but not tried the sculpin from Ballast. If you get a second, a report would be appreciated. Always on the lookout for new IPA's.
2014-01-02 11:09 AM

User image

Expert

Anybody up for a 20 workouts in 31 days challenge? Will make easy with minimums of 15minute swims, 20 minute runs and 30 minute bikes.

Also, for those new to BDAS/beginner triathlete, you will see inspires from everyone which is a great inspirational tool/kick in the pants. If you reply, make sure you click on the reply button so it will show up on the other persons inspires.(if you just type in the box at bottom, the other person will not know about the reply)

Thor - I'm gonna need some flexibility on the 20 from 31 challenge. I got a cortisone shot this morning and the doc said no bike or run until Monday. To keep myself motivated, I'm gonna count my my 20 minute PT sessions as a workout so I can stay on track. Will you sign off on that if I promise not to tell everyone how much you like Molsen? And since I will be stuck at the hospital for the vast majority of time until they spring my son, I'm also going to look for a gym where I get in a few laps.
2014-01-02 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17

Thor - I'm gonna need some flexibility on the 20 from 31 challenge. I got a cortisone shot this morning and the doc said no bike or run until Monday. To keep myself motivated, I'm gonna count my my 20 minute PT sessions as a workout so I can stay on track. Will you sign off on that if I promise not to tell everyone how much you like Molsen? And since I will be stuck at the hospital for the vast majority of time until they spring my son, I'm also going to look for a gym where I get in a few laps.

First off I barely know mOlsen...molson canadian vs mOlsen in our group... yuk, yuk...

Secondly, I will give you .75 for physio...

The end of the day your family always comes first!! Of course I will continue to ride you on doing your workouts...

2014-01-02 1:05 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by kevinbe

I've seen but not tried the sculpin from Ballast. If you get a second, a report would be appreciated. Always on the lookout for new IPA's.

Sculpin falls into my "Good west coast style IPA" category with a 4 out of 5 star rating.

2014-01-02 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
If you are still accepting members, I'd love to join, I was hooked with the name of the group alone.

NAME: Sean

STORY: I blew my ACL playing soccer about 5 years ago and then got into Tri's because I "hated" running. I did a some sprints back in '10 and '11, then soccer took priority and my tri training took a dive. I had an achilles/calf strain that took PT and time off to recover from. Since then my training has tapered off to non-existent although I still play soccer at least 1x per week but I'm not anywhere near fit. The good news is that I'm without any injuries or excuses, so I'm free to train!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20 yrs, 2 children who are very active in competitive sports so we are very busy.

CURRENT TRAINING: Playing soccer 1x per week, will be hitting the gym today.

2014 RACES: I haven't figured it out just yet, but I'm thinking a 5k in April, Sprints June/July and maybe a half iron in Sept. I'll probably add a few 5k/10k's in as well.

BEER PREFERENCE: Just about any IPA, the hoppier the better. My latest favorite is Hop Wallop by Victory Brewing, but I've got some Lagunitas in the cooler as well.

WEIGHT LOSS: Uhhh, yeah. I had some injuries last spring that took me forever to recover from so I've put on most of what I lost a few years ago.

GOALS 2014:
1. Consistent Training
2. Remain Injury Free
3. Complete at least 3 Multisport events
4. Complete a half iron or half marathon
2014-01-02 3:52 PM
in reply to: sma777

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
NAME: Brad

STORY: I have never really been big on fitness. I played football while growing up, but always hated running at practice. I was an offensive lineman... big.. lol. I have always loved the outdoors and adventure though. For several years I was really heavy into building custom cars and trucks, and drinking beer while doing it. I can't fully blame the beer, but it did put some pounds on during that time. One day when I was bending over to tie my boots and sat up winded, that was the breaking point. I had to hold my breath to bend over! Something had to give...

I used to love riding bikes as a kid, so that week I went to Kmart and bought a clearance Mongoose 7 speed bike. I started riding everyday and started losing some weight. While on my morning ride one day I saw a huge crowd of people and bikes and rode over to find out that it was a triathlon. I didn't know people did small triathlons in the same way that people do 5ks and such, so I was intrigued. I decided in 2013 I would do a triathlon. The bike got better, the swim got better, and the run was something I didn't like to talk about... My work forced me to miss the first few chances I had to do a sprint tri, so I saw a weekend I knew I would be off and an Olympic tri, and decided to step up. My first tri was an Olympic distance and I finished in 3:10. I was so happy. I have done a few sprint tris since then and still love it.

I still hated running towards the end of summer, so I decided I would focus my training on that and run a fall half marathon. The training slugged on and I finally did finish my first half marathon in 2:33. I had a goal of 2:30 but missed it by so little, it kind of irritated me. I had never run that long before though, and I injured my left foot. This put me out of training for about 4 weeks to heal up, and I had a surgery on my back that put me out for another 6 weeks, then the holidays came, and now I've got to get going again!!

FAMILY STATUS: I am married for 2.5 years to my wonderful wife. She doesn't run or bike or swim with me, but she goes to all of my races, sometimes bringing our little Rat Terrier to dress up in costume with themed signs to cheer on all the racers! It is not uncommon for us to be walking after a race and have many people stop to talk to us about the dog and thank her for bringing him! A few locals even say hi to him by name now!

CURRENT TRAINING: About to do my first trainer ride of the year. Probably something short because I've had a nagging cough/ sinus/ croup deal that is kind of making me drag. I run/bike at least 5 times a week and am waiting to get cleared for the pool again from my doc after the back surgery wound fully heals. Hopefully the 13th!

2014 RACES: I'm not sure on every race right now. I will do several sprints, I plan to beat my time on the Olympic I did last year, and my A race is a Half Ironman, that my wife and I need to choose which one I'll be doing!

BEER PREFERENCE: Another big IPA fan! My favorite is West Sixth IPA from right here in my home town. I do love most beer though, and do my best to buy or order one I've never had before any time I go out. The only thing I'm not a fan of is Mexican beers like Corona, Sol, that kind of stuff... they just don't do it for me...

WEIGHT LOSS: I started exercising at the heaviest I had ever weighed, 255 lbs. I lost about 20 lbs on the Kmart bike and started training for my triathlon at about 235 lbs. I got down to 204 right before my Olympic tri and maintained that give or take a few lbs all the way through summer into fall at the start of my half mary. After all the downtime the last few months I am back to 220 and need to get going to get back down.

GOALS 2014:
1. Get under 200 lbs
2. Stay injury free
3. Half Ironman!
4. Drink a lot of new and wonderful beers!
2014-01-02 3:54 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
I apologize for my logs not being up to date. I'll go back and try to sort those out over the next couple weeks, but will update from this day on!

I am in for the 20/31 workouts! I've gotta get changed and hop on the drainer now for number 1!
2014-01-02 4:51 PM
in reply to: sma777

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by sma777

If you are still accepting members, I'd love to join, I was hooked with the name of the group alone.

NAME: Sean

STORY: I blew my ACL playing soccer about 5 years ago and then got into Tri's because I "hated" running. I did a some sprints back in '10 and '11, then soccer took priority and my tri training took a dive. I had an achilles/calf strain that took PT and time off to recover from. Since then my training has tapered off to non-existent although I still play soccer at least 1x per week but I'm not anywhere near fit. The good news is that I'm without any injuries or excuses, so I'm free to train!

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20 yrs, 2 children who are very active in competitive sports so we are very busy.

CURRENT TRAINING: Playing soccer 1x per week, will be hitting the gym today.

2014 RACES: I haven't figured it out just yet, but I'm thinking a 5k in April, Sprints June/July and maybe a half iron in Sept. I'll probably add a few 5k/10k's in as well.

BEER PREFERENCE: Just about any IPA, the hoppier the better. My latest favorite is Hop Wallop by Victory Brewing, but I've got some Lagunitas in the cooler as well.

WEIGHT LOSS: Uhhh, yeah. I had some injuries last spring that took me forever to recover from so I've put on most of what I lost a few years ago.

GOALS 2014:
1. Consistent Training
2. Remain Injury Free
3. Complete at least 3 Multisport events
4. Complete a half iron or half marathon

Holy Cow, another Hop Head. Welcome. Langunitas would also easily make my top 10. I don't believe I've had the Hop Wallop, does this come in a can? I may be confusing it with 21st amendment, they both sound similar.
I like your goals. Many in our group got hit by the injury bug in 2013 and are on the mend, so a 2014, injury free year is atop all our lists.
2014-01-02 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I just found out that the local HIM distance I did in 2012 has just added a sprint distance this year. The race is at the end of May. My wife may be interested in doing this as her first tri. If she does, I'm going to sign up and do it along side of her (hopefully, if she doesn't leave me in the dust.) She's a strong biker, easily as good as I. She did a 7K with me in 2012 and finished at a 9:00/mi pace, and she's never swam a lap in her life, which would mean she'd have to start swimming laps. That idea does not sit well with her.
I'm hoping she goes for this, because I think she would really grow to love tri's, (she's a wee bit competitive, though she wouldn't be the first to admit it.) I'd love to do it with her, because I think with my calf being all screwed up, I could shoot for a May sprint and just ease into running again by then. We have until end of February to sign up. Any words of wisdom on how I might be able to coax (gently) her into changing her mind on the pool?

2014-01-02 5:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by kevinbe I just found out that the local HIM distance I did in 2012 has just added a sprint distance this year. The race is at the end of May. My wife may be interested in doing this as her first tri. If she does, I'm going to sign up and do it along side of her (hopefully, if she doesn't leave me in the dust.) She's a strong biker, easily as good as I. She did a 7K with me in 2012 and finished at a 9:00/mi pace, and she's never swam a lap in her life, which would mean she'd have to start swimming laps. That idea does not sit well with her. I'm hoping she goes for this, because I think she would really grow to love tri's, (she's a wee bit competitive, though she wouldn't be the first to admit it.) I'd love to do it with her, because I think with my calf being all screwed up, I could shoot for a May sprint and just ease into running again by then. We have until end of February to sign up. Any words of wisdom on how I might be able to coax (gently) her into changing her mind on the pool?

A family that tri's together stays together... 

Setting a good example for kids...fitness and togetherness.... 

You can use my wife as an example, she finally did a race last year and now she is hooked! Our whole family is doing one July12/13 in Invermere, BC(just up the road if you want to sneak over the border and join us...

2014-01-02 5:54 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
We'll just finished up workout 1/31. 45 minutes on the trainer. Now I'm sitting here drinking a Stella we had leftover from the holidays and watching my wife cook. The cooking is one of the most challenging things about losing weight. Down home southern food is not the mos ideal diet plan, but it is soooo good! Tonight it's homemade biscuits with chicken and bacon gravy... Lord help me eat only one potion. Lol
2014-01-02 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Bradleykd

We'll just finished up workout 1/31. 45 minutes on the trainer. Now I'm sitting here drinking a Stella we had leftover from the holidays and watching my wife cook. The cooking is one of the most challenging things about losing weight. Down home southern food is not the mos ideal diet plan, but it is soooo good! Tonight it's homemade biscuits with chicken and bacon gravy... Lord help me eat only one potion. Lol

I haven't had homemade biscuits in a dog's age . . .

Currently relaxing a bit, through the weekend; I did a lot of running to hit the numbers in December, so I want to recover all that deep fatigue.

I finally broke down and hired a coach, who came highly recommended to me - her husband rides with Cola Vita, a cycling team one of my friends is on, and he's a multi-time IMWI finisher, and she has a masters degree in some physical training thing. Formal IMWI training starts 1-6-14.

Also, TOUR OF SUFFERLANDRIA starts 1-25-14 - the Trainer Road tours are a blast, and oh the glorious pain.
2014-01-02 8:16 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: help

Okay need everyone's opinion. My wife who is a group fitness coordinator at our gym is looking at doing a tri training program in the spring(alberta=long spring)

Her thoughts are more for triathletes getting together with her having workout for them to do. 

Options:

a)1 spin class, one swim with a workout, one group run.

b) same as above except one in morning one in evening your choice.

c)Just a swim and a spin.

Questions: 

Would it be something you would be interested in at your gym?

If so how much would you be willing to pay. Our gym/pool/class admission is $8. We are a city of around 25,000.

If none of the above what would interest you. All answers are welcome!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.