Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-05-21 12:09 PM
in reply to: #809302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Good Job, Christine on the Tour de Cure! It was a GREAT day for cycling!

What do your readings mean?

"Estimates my resting metabolism is 1548. If I choose "Moderately Active" it calculates my calories at 2399 per day."

It means that if you relaxed all day, you would burn 1548 calories just breathing in and out! For lack of a better term, this is the amount of calories you would burn if you were a couch potato. If you are moderately active, then you would burn 2399 calories per day. To loose weight, you would need to create a calorie deficit or eat less than 2399 calories per day. It takes a deficit of 3500 calories (approx.) over several days to loose 1 lb.

As an example, I burned on my workout on Saturday 4596 calories in just under 5 hours (we were hammering at race pace). I consumed 1760 calories while on the bike and another 2370 calories during the rest of the day (pre-ride breakfast and meals after the ride) for a total of 4130 calories consumed. So just based upon the 5 hours of exercise and the meals I consumed all day, I had a 466 calorie deficit for the day. If I created a deficit of 466 calories per day for 7 1/2 days, I would loose 1 lb. Mind you, I also am careful of the types of calories I consume. On the bike and running, it involves Protein/Endurolyte Sports Drinks, Gel Shots, and Cliff Bars. My meals on Satureday were Protein with Complex (Veggie) carbs.

OK..... that is the simple explanation..... What questions might you have?

Rich

2007-05-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Regarding the question on the road bike or tri bike, I had the same question (and just bought my bike last week). I decided to go for the road bike for now, since my objective is to work on technique and finishing. I'll work on better time in a year or two. My Team in Training coach was notified that those running the Nation's Triathlon in September (the tri I am going to do) recommend that people bring their road bike (unless they are VERY experienced) because of the amount of turns on the course.

Can't you get different handlebars for a road bike if you want, so that it more like a tri bike? What is the difference other than that?

Also, the nutrition thing. I'm not going to focus too much on that right now (Rich, you can slap my hand). I can tell you I'm focused on eating healthy and have no chips, fast food, or lots of sugar going in. I jsut HATE journaling my diet, even for a day...I'm just taking in every bit of advice and making sure that I stand true to it.

Again, my main objective at this point (since I've never done a tri and have very little experience in all this) is just to get the job done. I'm sure questions will pop up as I go along, so please bear with me

One question I have on technique in cycling...what drills can I use to make sure that I extend my heal down when I am peddling, and what techniques can I use to increase my cadence?
2007-05-21 12:42 PM
in reply to: #809842

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Good Day Kat!

You wrote:
I think that my swim time is strong, so I'm not too concerned about that.  I don't think I can make up a whole lot of time there.   My run is probably my weakest - if I can get closer to a 9:30/mile, I can save about 3-4 minutes right there.  Then, if I get a little faster on my bike, I can make up the rest and be under that 1:30:00 mark.  I have two sprints planned - the first one at Lake Pflugerville will be the easier of the two.  If I don't make it, then I have until October to prepare for the second one.

Use the upcoming race as a training race and shoot for going under 1:30 for your October race. In other words, designate your October race as your "A" race or primary focus race. Everything you do up to then is "training". If your swim is strong, then focus on your running and your cycling. It sounds like your running will be the key.

I'm also going to set up my stuff in a "transition" environment and take photos so you can see what my transition area looks like. I can get in and out of a transition area in 1 minute 30 secs to 1 minute 45 secs depending upon the size of the event. Longest transition time: 2 minutes 30 seconds in a 3500 participant transition area. I hope that will help you, too.

Rich
2007-05-21 12:45 PM
in reply to: #809854

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Barb:

No need to obsess on calories.... just make smart choices.

That is good that you are flexible in your training......life happens .....whether it is a sunburn, or rainy day, or you are exhausted...... learning to be flexible with your training is a good thing.....the important part is that you have fun ........... there is a fun factor in all this training that shouldn't be overlooked or missed.

Rich
2007-05-21 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Thanks for the advice on the bike! I just went to a bike shop that was recommended to me by a BT user, the guys were AWESOME, he explained everything a lot. Recommended I go with the road bike for now and upgrade if Im really serious.Also suggested to do road, if I lpan on going in groups since tri bikes are scary when in groups.
The guy gave me options in my price range and showed me the difference. i had done a lot of research on bike parts so I knew what I wanted. The guy also told me about the longr process on measurements and how there is never a bike that fits one size so it take about an Hour. THen you bike inside in a road inside the shop for at least 20 minutes and they can check if the measurements are correct. I loved the place.

Andrea- thank you for your advice, I think I'm going to join you on the road bike mentality and going baby steps and focussing on technique, next year and the next, we can focus on speed and improving our times!!

calorie counter is scary....
2007-05-21 1:03 PM
in reply to: #809893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Howdy Andi!

You wrote: "Regarding the question on the road bike or tri bike, I had the same question (and just bought my bike last week). I decided to go for the road bike for now, since my objective is to work on technique and finishing. I'll work on better time in a year or two. My Team in Training coach was notified that those running the Nation's Triathlon in September (the tri I am going to do) recommend that people bring their road bike (unless they are VERY experienced) because of the amount of turns on the course."

Good points! The course will determine the tool or the bike to use.

You wrote: "Can't you get different handlebars for a road bike if you want, so that it more like a tri bike?"

Yes you can. They are called snap-on aerobars. You can also have a bike fitter, set you up in a triathlon style fitting. You could swap out the seat post from the traditional road bike post to a straight tri seat post.

You wrote: "What is the difference other than that?"

The different between a road bike and a tri bike is in the seat post position. A road bike has a seat post that is angled from the center of the bike to the back of the bike. It provides a more relaxed seat/fitting. A tri bike has less of an angle or in some instances a straight seat post. It basically will raise your body higher on the bike/seat post and lower in the handle bars when using aerobars to create a very streamlined aerodynamic body. (Think of cars in a wind tunnel test).

You wrote: "Also, the nutrition thing. I'm not going to focus too much on that right now (Rich, you can slap my hand). I can tell you I'm focused on eating healthy and have no chips, fast food, or lots of sugar going in. I jsut HATE journaling my diet, even for a day...I'm just taking in every bit of advice and making sure that I stand true to it."

I won't slap your hand. If you focus on healthy eating and you are making adjustments that see the results YOU desire, then that is what is important! If journaling is something you "HATE" and detracts from your whole experience .... don't journal!

You wrote: "Again, my main objective at this point (since I've never done a tri and have very little experience in all this) is just to get the job done. I'm sure questions will pop up as I go along, so please bear with me "

It is a good approach, Andi! Keep that your focus!

You wrote: "One question I have on technique in cycling...what drills can I use to make sure that I extend my heal down when I am peddling, and what techniques can I use to increase my cadence"

I'm assuming that when you pedal stroke, your foot is pointed down(?). If this is the case, be aware that you can develop shin splints. Practic pedaling as if you are scrapping mud off the bottom of your shoe on the side of a curb. The other thing you might do is find a hill and go up and down the hill multiple times. As you climb, drop the heal.

With cadence, you can try to feel the difference, but the best way is to have a bike computer on your bike that shows your cadence. Without a bike computer, try finding a flat road that goes for a couple of miles (hopefully without traffic lights). Count every time your right foot reaches the bottom (6:00 o'clock) position for 1 minute. You are aiming for 90 strokes per minute. Use that road over and over until you get your cadence up and it becomes second nature. Another option may be to count your cadence on a spin bike until you intuitively know that you are at your 90 strokes per minute. Of course you know that your cadence will vary depending upon the terrain.

Let me know if you need further explanation or need additional help. Anyone else have drills that they do?

2007-05-21 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Thanks Rich, scraping mud off the shoe is a great analogy. I'm of the understanding that this takes conscious effort to do, and isn't natural until you "train" your body to do the right thing. I'll be thinking of that as I bike!
2007-05-21 1:40 PM

User image

Houston
That is all I have done I bought an entry level bike and am getting comfortable with it. My original plan was to get road tires for me mountian bike but that just sounded silly.
2007-05-21 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Triathlon Check List
I promised, I would find you a check-list ....one of my deliverables.

http://www.svtriclub.org/media/TransitionTipsAndRaceDayCheckList.pd...

There is an excerpt from Triathlon 101 that describes some of the things you may be experiencing. This is a good read with the checklist at the end.

For those who have done triathlons already, this is a GREAT opportunity to share your stories on what you experienced..... the funny things, perils of wisdom, and I wish I had done better with this aspect of the transition.

As an example: I had a friend that recently forgot to put his race number on his bike before his triathlon. By the time he got his race number on the bike and back out of the transition area, he lost several minutes. After completing the bike course, he got to the transition area and he had missed the cutoff to start the run ..... by exactly the same amount of time it took him to get his race number on his bike. He was declared a "Did Not Finish" (DNF). OUCH!

Rich

2007-05-21 9:04 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks for the article, Rich!  Great information...I wish I had read that before my first Tri in May.  I can use the checklist for my second Tri in June.

Angela

2007-05-22 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Slightly random note....I just had my first article published on BT this morning.  It's called "Keeping the Blues at Bay." Check it out if you're interested.....

2007-05-22 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Kat!!

Thank you for that article it was awesome! You are so right about everything you are saying in it. It is most definitely very honorable and admirable to be so heartfelt, honest and brave in sharing your feelings with so many.

I really appreciate it and love you for being so fabulous and giving me hope that I can finish that Olympic distance tri!!! thanks katgirl!

2007-05-22 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
That's fantastic Kat! Well done!

The great news is that you are building the tools that will help you throughout your life. When hard times hit, part of you will remember that you can come out of it; that you have what it takes to overcome.

Keep building those tools and congratulations for reaching out and letting others help you. Not an easy thing for many people.

Keep up the good work!
2007-05-22 8:40 AM

User image

Houston
WOW that is a very emotional article. Thank you very much for sharing with us. I have a friend who battles the same issues. I will forward it on to him!
Keep working hard!!

Edited by dzerb31 2007-05-22 8:42 AM
2007-05-22 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
That was a beautiful article, Kat. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
2007-05-22 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Guys, Im confused about the body fat percentage thing. Does it mean that overall your entire body is made up of (in my case) 22% body fat? What are we supposed to be aiming at? I am not losing weight but losing inches,well more like super mini inches

What are we supposed to be aiming for?I know each person has an individualized objective.But really, if im made up of 22 % body fat( 10% of that ,I'm sure I owe it to happy meal Thursdays at mcd's), then my muscles are like super insignificant.
Does anyone know about this?

2007-05-22 10:54 AM
in reply to: #811263

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Kat!

I'm blowin away by your article .... it really does put life into perspective. You should be commended for just writing the article. Furthermore you can now claim that you are a published writer!

Your thoughts, feelings, and things that you face daily come through in your article. Very powerful.

THANK YOU for sharing.

Rich
2007-05-22 11:09 AM
in reply to: #811563

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Good Day Caru!

Guys, Im confused about the body fat percentage thing.

Confusion on body fat % is not uncommon!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does it mean that overall your entire body is made up of (in my case) 22% body fat?

Yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are we supposed to be aiming at? I am not losing weight but losing inches,well more like super mini inches

This is a good thing ...... what you are experiencing is a loss of fat AND a gain in lean body muscle. (i.e. You are toning up!)
What are we supposed to be aiming for?

I cut and pasted the following from University of Michigan medical website. The link for the full article is below:

"The percentage of body weight that is normal depends on your gender and your fitness level.

Men Women
Body Fat % Body Fat %
--------------------------------------
Normal
Range 10-20% 15-25%

Athlete 6-10% 10-15%"

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_bodyfat_sma.htm

So, based upon your 22% Caru, you fall within the normal range ...... which is a good thing, but don't go out and celebrate at McDonald's to frequently! LOL!
2007-05-22 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
hahah!! Awesome article, thanks Rich, you are a life saver! I must admit 22 % body fat is super scary.......

yeah, trust me I haven't touched Mcdonalds since I graduated- a year now! Not appetizing anymore. ok..ok... sometimes the fries bring happy thoughts, but veggies sound way happier and colourful, more fun.
2007-05-22 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Rich - How do you figure your percentage? Can I get it done at my local YMCA or is something a doctor will do?

Also, what does the process entail?

2007-05-22 12:10 PM

User image

Houston
http://www.inch-aweigh.com/calc_body_fat.htm
check this website out its a quick way to get a range. I know that the Bally's that I am a member of will do one for you. You just have to ask!!!!

I am getting one done next week ykes!!

2007-05-22 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Good question Barb!

I periodically (every four to six weeks) have body fat % checked using caliphers at the gym. For men, it is referred to as a 3 pinch test. There are three places where the technican pinches the skinfolds....it doesn't hurt..... 1) Chest near the armpit (where shoulder muscle and pectoris muscles meet) 2) abdomen 3) Thigh / just above the quad. For women, I believe there is a 7 location pinch test. (Sorry!)

Every two months, I have a Hydrostatic Weight Test. This is done at a local college for about $20. It is one of the more accurate methods of measuring body fat %. The test is done in a large square tub. The water level when I stand in the tub is at chest level. There is an aluminum chair that is suspended from an overhead arm. The chair is weighted in advance and substracted from the test weight. You sit in the chair and basically fold yourself in half so that your head is under water. When you submerge your head, you blow out as much as that is as physically possible. You are submerged for at least 1 minute for an accurate reading, however it may take a few minutes longer. The technician will pound on the side of the metal pool to let you know that you can resurface. I've gone from 25% to 19% in 4 months.

THANK YOU, Derek for the link in your post..... I like that link. Based upon my input, it shows me at 17.4% ... . which is WAY too cool! I'm going for another hydrostatic test a week from this Friday. We will see how close it is to the calculation on-line. If the website calculation is accurate, I'm on target for my 15% by Vineman and 13% by my September 2007 series of triathlons (I have three scheduled on three consecutive Saturdays).

Keep the questions coming and if anyone wants to contribute like Derek did, please feel free. Dialogue in the group is encouraged. Let's learn from each other!

Rich

2007-05-22 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Ohhh ...... sorry Barb! I would think that someone at the YMCA can measure your body fat.
2007-05-22 1:15 PM

User image

Houston
I just did mine. 18.2% I think the website is a bit generous, but its a good estimate.

2007-05-22 1:42 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Kat...Fantastic article!  You're so right.  Life is one big endurance race.  It just makes me realize that everyone has a story to tell.  Keep moving forward!  I'll definitely pass the article along to my friends.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46