BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2007-12-18 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL
Oh, and the hangover half is on New Year's Day. Put me in coach!

2007-12-18 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1107178

User image

Veteran
Portland

I think we also might be nearby each other in Southern Cali. I am pretty far inland but noticed you have a few races in the LA/ Orange county area.

Candaced

Candace--I am in the Pasadena area, where is Crestline?

Way to go on the Hangover Half. I'll be the former and not doing the latter :-)

2007-12-19 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
g`day all
should I be training in all 3 sports right now (as I`m doing now) or should I be focusing on one or two only? I have a good running background.
My first 2 races are 30k (D(March) and a mary (A(May)
then i do 3 tri`s 2 spr (B(2 June) , 1 oly (July)
my AA race is the oly in july
Because there fairly far off, my schedule doesn`t start yet, I`m in the prep stage now.
2007-12-19 8:41 AM

User image

Regular
I would train all three. Since running is your strong suit you could ease off on that in the off season but your first two races are long distance runs so that is not really possible, especially since the first is in March. Right now I would try and put in base miles in all three but especially swimming, cycling. Soon enough you are going to have to run an -load of miles for your 30k and marathon and if you train right for your marathon, you should have a very good running base as well by the time that's all through. Strong base going into your program = ability to do much harder workouts during the actual program = faster times.

Anyone else got any advice for Nathan? I should have mentioned earlier that everyone should feel free to chime in and tell me when I am incorrect, etc. You won't hurt my feelings at all. At the same time, take what I say with a grain of salt because I am also a beginner.

Good luck running in all that snow. We only have a foot and it's tough. PEOPLE OF INDIANA: SHOVEL YOUR SNOW!!! Now that it's a little warmer, there is a lot of slush which means a lot of soakers.

Paul
2007-12-19 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Just looking at the training programs BT offers, there are all kinds of routes you can go for off season training.  There's a balanced program, a run focussed, a bike focussed, and a swim focussed. 

I'm not following a specific plan from BT, but I'm sort of going along with the general idea.  I am a horrible runner.  I'll always be slow, but at least I can be ready and have the endurance for the runs on the back end of the tri (i.e. Be slow instead of really, really slow).  So, I decided I'd go after some half marys and a full to really build up a run base.  I've always been fairly fast in the pool, and even the half iron is only a 1.2 mile swim.  So, every now and then I pop in the pool for a 2000-3000 yard swim.  Nothing serious, just staying accustomed to the distance.  This is the first year I've owned a trainer, and I've been trying to get some work in on it.  I improved a ton over the summer just from Time In The Saddle, so I figured I'd put some time in over the winter, too.  Overall though, this is a winter of building a run base for me.

In other words, I don't think there really is a 'correct' off season training plan.  You have the option of really going heavy into your worst event; being balanced; or drinking lots of beer, eating a ton of food, and sleeping in.  The latter, while the most fun, I only recommend for the occasional weekend when you need a break.

2007-12-20 8:18 AM

User image

Regular
Just posting because we were perilously close to the bottom. Now we are back at the top. How about that?

2007-12-20 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Anybody got any big weekend before Christmas training plans?  I'm on tap for a 13 miler.  The race before the race so to speak.  A small wrench has been thrown into the machine, though.  One of my best friends from college and his wife are coming home from New Zealand, where they've been for about a year.  The beer count is going to be astronomical.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

2007-12-20 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1111369

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Yo Paul.  What sorta cyclocomputer you got hooked up to the real wheel while your bike is on the trainer?
2007-12-21 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1112739

User image

Regular
I just have a Cateye Astrale 8. Nothing fancy. What do you have?
2007-12-21 8:48 AM

User image

Regular
sesh - 2007-12-20 10:15 AM

Anybody got any big weekend before Christmas training plans?  I'm on tap for a 13 miler.  The race before the race so to speak.  A small wrench has been thrown into the machine, though.  One of my best friends from college and his wife are coming home from New Zealand, where they've been for about a year.  The beer count is going to be astronomical.

I have a long trainer ride scheduled for Saturday and a 2.5hour run on Sunday. We'll see if that actually happens, though.

What's everyone else doing the weekend before Christmas?
2007-12-21 9:21 AM
in reply to: #1113200

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

pshorty - 2007-12-21 8:47 AM I just have a Cateye Astrale 8. Nothing fancy. What do you have?

I don't have one one with a rear wheel mount, and thus why I was curious.  Need to get one.

2007-12-21 7:35 PM

User image

DC
sesh - 2007-12-20 10:15 AM

Finished up swimming for a few weeks...done with finals...3 A-, 2 As, and an unknown grade thus far so I'm pretty pumped :D
Wait..the pool is closed...that means I have to start running...
2007-12-21 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
hi all, headed out of town Early tomorrow for the holiday travel spectacular. see you in the new year!
2007-12-24 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1114095

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
gracetheterp - 2007-12-21 7:35 PM [

Finished up swimming for a few weeks...done with finals...3 A-, 2 As, and an unknown grade thus far so I'm pretty pumped :D Wait..the pool is closed...that means I have to start running...

You're obviously spending to much time studying, and not enough time training.

2007-12-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: #1114095

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2007-12-21 8:35 PM

and an unknown grade

What do you mean, like a "Q" or something?

Anyone expecting any triathlon-specific loot for Xmas? (or whatever gift giving ritual you may happen to celebrate).
2007-12-24 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1115505

User image

DC
sesh - 2007-12-24 10:12 AM

Finished up swimming for a few weeks...done with finals...3 A-, 2 As, and an unknown grade thus far so I'm pretty pumped :D Wait..the pool is closed...that means I have to start running...

sadly, this is very true...
mystery grade = one professor takes wayy too long to upload grades.
Merry Christmas everybody who celebrates it
Happy festivus to the restofus...

2007-12-26 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1116089

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
gracetheterp - 2007-12-24 8:43 PM
sesh - 2007-12-24 10:12 AM

sadly, this is very true... mystery grade = one professor takes wayy too long to upload grades. Merry Christmas everybody who celebrates it Happy festivus to the restofus...

Well, not to be outdone.  I just spent the past two days doing way too much eating and absolutely zero training. 

Everybody ready for the New Years resolution dashes to the gym?

2007-12-26 10:41 AM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Wow! I just spent the last few days eating and drinking too much. My family is in town and will be for a while longer but I am going to start training again soon. Hopefully today.

I did get some arm warmers and leg warmers for biking. I cannot wait to use them.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas/ Festivus!
2007-12-26 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone, hope you all had a Marry Christmas.
Does everyone one have a writen down formal training plan for the 08 season and did you do it yourself or have a coach prepare it for you or did you get it from the net? I`m trying to do one now and its harder then i thought it would be. I almost have the running section done.
Nathan
2007-12-26 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1117020

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

natebs - 2007-12-26 11:28 AM Hey everyone, hope you all had a Marry Christmas. Does everyone one have a writen down formal training plan for the 08 season and did you do it yourself or have a coach prepare it for you or did you get it from the net? I`m trying to do one now and its harder then i thought it would be. I almost have the running section done. Nathan

I imported one of the BT plans.  One of the silver membership Half Iron programs.  Not even sure when it's supposed to start.  My training plan right now was formulated this way:

"Man, I'm a crappy runner.  I should probably be running a lot more so I'll get better.  I know, I'll do a few half marys and then a full.  Great idea!"

Some weeks it works, some weeks it doesn't. 

2007-12-27 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Hey all,
I wedged a two mile run in over the holidays so I wouldn't have a stretch of three days without training. Yesterday it was really hard to get motivated, but once I was pedaling it felt real good. Back in the saddle!

For better or worse, I received nearly everything "tri" that I asked for for Festivus -- in particular all of that Underarmour cold-weather training gear. For better? I now have no excuse not to train in the Albany cold. For worse? I now have no excuse not to train in the Albany cold.

As my birthday was a couple days before Christmas, I received a nice combo gift: a Garmin Forerunner wristmount training computer. This will be my first heart rate monitor, and first GPS unit. Up to this point, I've done all of my marathon training on my trusty Timex.

You know those video clips advertisers use around holidays which show of kids opening gifts and going into convulsions of joy? That was me surrounded by all my tri-gear.

I did research for the past few weeks on the combo HRM/GPS units, and thought that the Forerunner fit my needs best. Though it is bulky and has been said to lose signal in cities, I'm not too worried about those two aspects. Its just that its a real investment, and I'm wondering if I made an appropriate choice. Anyone out there want to weigh in on this subject before I take it out of the package?

What has your experience been with the GPS units and HRM's? (And, I haven't even thought about its cross-use for when I begin outdoor bike rides. Anyone use a wrist-mount while biking?)

2007-12-27 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1118061

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

nyquil42 - 2007-12-27 7:10 AM Hey all, I wedged a two mile run in over the holidays so I wouldn't have a stretch of three days without training. Yesterday it was really hard to get motivated, but once I was pedaling it felt real good. Back in the saddle! For better or worse, I received nearly everything "tri" that I asked for for Festivus -- in particular all of that Underarmour cold-weather training gear. For better? I now have no excuse not to train in the Albany cold. For worse? I now have no excuse not to train in the Albany cold. As my birthday was a couple days before Christmas, I received a nice combo gift: a Garmin Forerunner wristmount training computer. This will be my first heart rate monitor, and first GPS unit. Up to this point, I've done all of my marathon training on my trusty Timex. You know those video clips advertisers use around holidays which show of kids opening gifts and going into convulsions of joy? That was me surrounded by all my tri-gear. I did research for the past few weeks on the combo HRM/GPS units, and thought that the Forerunner fit my needs best. Though it is bulky and has been said to lose signal in cities, I'm not too worried about those two aspects. Its just that its a real investment, and I'm wondering if I made an appropriate choice. Anyone out there want to weigh in on this subject before I take it out of the package? What has your experience been with the GPS units and HRM's? (And, I haven't even thought about its cross-use for when I begin outdoor bike rides. Anyone use a wrist-mount while biking?)

I just use the forerunner with no hrm.  Just keeps up with distance and pace.  I've gotten pretty good at knowing where my hr is, but sometimes I wish I had one.  As for cycling, I use a bike mount that has speed, cadence, odo, time... all the normal stuff.  I find the cadence is the most useful for me, so you might want to take that into consideration.

2007-12-28 12:49 AM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
nyquil42 - 2007-12-27 5:10 AM
What has your experience been with the GPS units and HRM's?

In my opinion, Garmin is the best recreational GPS around. I know a lot of people that use the forerunner and they love it. I am a mapping geek and it is easily compatible with www.motionbased.com which is a great place to upload (and map) your data. You can playback your rides/runs and race yourself or others.

I played with a Timex heart rate/ GPS called Bodylink and returned it because of all the components you had to lug around. Then there are the Polar products which are superior in heart rate and all sorts of heart rate metrics but I don't think they have the navigation part down.

I did a lot of research a year ago and decided I really like Timex for the watch, Polar for the heart rate and Garmin for the GPS. The Garmin is still a bit bulky and isn't recommended for water (but I mostly swim in a pool and don't wear heart rate or GPS in the pool). I also don't use all the fancy metrics from a heart rate monitor. They are cool but I really like to pay attention to how I feel.

Overall, I would buy a Garmin Forerunner. I will most-likely wait till they shrink in size and I get a raise and then I will get one. I would say you got a fantastic Christmas/birthday gift. Let us know how it treats you over the next few months!

Edited by wyndswept 2007-12-28 12:51 AM
2007-12-28 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Thanks for the quick responses on the Forerunner. I've done a fair amount of research, and it does seem to be the best overall fit for me at the moment. The Timex seemed to be a bit complex with all the parts, and the design and reviews of the Garmin sounded more appropriate than the Polar due to the accuracy of the GPS and my primary need -- mapping and realtime splits against mileage (I like to run new routes each time I run).

I didn't expect it, but this break in training over Festivus took a bit of wind out of my sails. Its good to have a bit of external motivation (using a new toy) when the internal motivation falters for a couple of days. I won't be able to resist going out for a run tonight. Thanks everyone!

Its warmer in the northeast . . . no time like today to get outside for a couple of miles . . .
2007-12-29 5:57 AM

User image

Regular
nyquil42 - 2007-12-27 8:10 AM

What has your experience been with the GPS units and HRM's? (And, I haven't even thought about its cross-use for when I begin outdoor bike rides. Anyone use a wrist-mount while biking?)

I also got a garmin watch as a gift this year. I am just now fooling around with it but so far it's been very easy to use and seems to do just about everything that I could imagine. I was like you when I opened it. About a half hour went by and my sister-in-law said "you haven't remember a single thing that has happen since you opened up your watch, have you?"

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33