BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-01-07 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1139817

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled Up with Awesome Folks!
smeador - 2008-01-07 4:55 PM

Tempo run - On longer runs I am currently using a 6/1 or 7/1 ratio. My goals is to use tempo runs (20m or so) to increase the run time and to build more endurance.

Fartleks - I mostly use these when doing hills. The goal being to maintain my normal race pace on hills. Sometimes I will do them on flat terrain as speedwork to assist in those short but not oft needed sprints (I love taking off on my coach and beating her to the finish line ).

Ok, tempo runs 6:1 or 7:1.  At what paces, HR or RPE are you doing the hard and easy parts?

You've got a coach?  What coaching are you receiving?  Tell us about her. 

2008-01-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

OK, now you guys are speaking that foriegn language again. What is a fartlek and do I want to do it public?

Great body mechanics article

This week end was OK for workouts. Ran 3 miles Sat increasing my speed some. Chocolate milk is my new best friend. 1 cup post workout works wonders on the appetite.

2008-01-08 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1141708

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

teresa - 2008-01-08 11:31 AM OK, now you guys are speaking that foriegn language again. What is a fartlek and do I want to do it public? Great body mechanics article This week end was OK for workouts. Ran 3 miles Sat increasing my speed some. Chocolate milk is my new best friend. 1 cup post workout works wonders on the appetite.

Teresa, here's a link that describes Fartleks pretty well.  http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c002.shtml

Glad the chocolate milk is working out.  Appetite suppressant?  Didnt know it would do that.  Good to know.  The benefit that I was shooting for is trying to take advantage of the body's increased ability absorb carbs and proteins post-workout.  By re-loading the muscles' carb stores, your next workout goes easier.  The protein helps the body repair muscle damage that occurred in the workout.  Basically, the chocolate milk is a really good recovery drink.  Good to know it also works as an appetite suppressant. 

2008-01-08 3:21 PM

User image

Maybe not appetite supressant, but it keeps me from licking old gum wrappers or rummaging through the garbage sack in my car for an apple core on my way home from the gym. And helps with recovery, too! Hmmmm

Edited by teresa 2008-01-08 3:22 PM
2008-01-08 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
The back is a wee bit better today. Ice and Advil, baby!

If my past is an accurate indication, I will be able to work out again in about a week. UUGGHHHH!!
2008-01-08 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1143028

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

teresa - 2008-01-08 4:21 PM Maybe not appetite supressant, but it keeps me from licking old gum wrappers or rummaging through the garbage sack in my car for an apple core on my way home from the gym. And helps with recovery, too! Hmmmm

Umm...glad to know it works for something! 

Catjammies, ugh.  I guess its good news/bad news.  You know its probably going to be a week.  But you have enough experience to know its going to be a week.    Hang in there.

2008-01-10 7:30 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
How is the week going for everyone?
2008-01-10 11:33 AM

User image

Regular
The back is slowly improving. With some luck and prayers, I should be working out again by the first of next week. We were supposed to go skiing at Copper Mountain on Saturday, but I'm likely to cancel so I don't have any further setbacks. One wrong twist on skis with a compromised back could put me out of commission for a loooong time.
2008-01-11 10:40 AM
in reply to: #1147228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

This week has been one of those off weeks for the workouts. I did not sit down and plan out the week as I normally do. When I don't plan it's harder to get those workouts in.

Previous questions from Ridge:

I am doing most of my tempo runs @ 11:00 pace or better. I try not to use the run/walk interval when doing the tempos though.

Regarding the coach I mentioned: She is the coach from the Half-Marathon program I completed in December. She agreeded to continue training with us for the upcoming Cowtown Half. So, she really is only my running coach. The rest is solor. .

2008-01-11 12:34 PM

Glad I am not the only one having trouble getting much workout in this week...

I am managing a new project which kicked off this week, and as usual it did not go entirely smoothly, which resulted in lots of extra time and effort required, not to mention it is physically and mentally exhausting. Managed to get a couple of short workouts in, but nowhere near what I was hoping to do. Been fighting some sort of cold this week too, which has also been sucking the energy out of me. Feeling good today though, and planning on hitting the pool either tonight or first thing tomorrow for another long swim. Hopefully I will be able to do a lot this weekend (outdoors if the weather holds hopefully, I could use some sun!)

Also, I am joining a masters swim club here which starts Feb. 01. The swim coach they have is supposed to be very good. I joined a trail running group last week too, but have not gone out with them yet. They are going for a run Sunday morning which I am going to try to join in on, although I am not very well equipped for outdoor winter trail running, so will have to get some gear first. It will be good to have some scheduled training events. I am much more likely to get out if I have an actual calendar appointment in my schedule.
2008-01-11 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
No workouts for me this week so far. I got a bad headcold on Monday and it's just starting to clear up today. So, this has been a total rest week for me! I look forward to getting back into it next week.

Take care everyone,
Joann

2008-01-11 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Seems like a tough week for everyone for a variety of reasons.

Ok, question for everyone!  What do you feel are the biggest couple of things that keep you from working out regularly (daily or at least several times per week)?

2008-01-12 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Two things that sometimes keep me from regular workouts:

1) Lack of planning.

2) Not getting up in the morning in time to work out. When this happens I usually move the workout to lunch, but the dreaded meeting monster rears it's head too often.

<----- WWW ----<<<

Tatanka #141

Scooter

Edited by smeador 2008-01-12 10:57 AM
2008-01-12 3:50 PM

User image

I'm really jelous of ya'll who are having nice weather. In Idaho, we are recovering from about a foot of snow in the last week which has now turned to slush. So, the biggest obstacle for me is not being able to go outside and the lack of sunlight. I have a hard time working out in the middle of the night (eg:4am) so I try to go to the gym right after work so I don't sit down at home and don't feel like getting up again. Doing this, epecially when it is dark, keeps me going and I actually have avoided the cold (knock on wood) and had a pretty good week.

Also, I HAVE to have someone tell me what to do, so that's why I have to follow a training plan. It really helps. My friend the planner gave me a dry erase board with a calendar. It is sitting right by my door with 5 weeks planned so I know exactly what I have to do each day and the end goals for the week. Works for me.

Edited by teresa 2008-01-12 3:52 PM
2008-01-12 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1150867

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
What do you feel are the biggest couple of things that keep you from working out regularly?

1. Sickness and injury this past year (throat problems/knee problems). I hope to get a better handle on these this year with the tonsil surgury recovery and gradual knee strengthening program.

2. Logistics of when/how to workout. Like Teresa, the weather and lack of sunshine (dark at 4pm) are limiting factors. It is also difficult to schedule workout times due to my responsibilities at home (I'm a full-time mom for my 4-year old, plus I'm the caregiver for a disabled adult who lives with us.) I have a lot of flexibility in my daily schedule, but not a lot of freedom to leave them alone. But with a little creativity and effort, I should be able to do SOMETHING daily if I want to.

Good questions, Rob. You're making me think.

2008-01-13 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1152576

I suppose lack of motivation for whatever reason is behind not working out... this week it took the form of not feeling very good, I suspect cold plus winter blahs contributed to that. Couple of days I felt like hitting the gym, then quickly fizzled out 15 mins into the workout despite eating and doing everything else as I normally do. During and after the workout I noticed full body aches, and some swelling of the glands in my throat, and I have had a cough for a couple of weeks so I am pretty sure my body is fighting something.

Work is definitely a hinderance and affects when I can workout (which makes eating a couple of hours before problematic since I often have to slip out whenever I have some downtime), but for me not something to stop workouts, in fact after a bad day, I like to take it out on the treadmill or in the pool.

Got a question for you Rob, around scheduling..... Do you know how important it is to do the workouts in order? In the training schedule I have, it says to do say a 50 min swim, then hour bike, then 30 min run... in tri order... The pool I go to only has lap swimming after supper, and I usually like to go for a run in the morning.... so I have been doing my multi-discipline workouts in the exact opposite order (run-bike-swim) on the weekends. I am wondering if this is a big deal, or if doing all in the same day is just as good.

2008-01-13 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Brad, regarding scheduling, the most important thing is getting in the workouts.  Thats the first goal.  Secondary would be the order.  Without knowing your full training schedule, I wouldn't know the full extent of the impact of the order change.  I don't think its a big deal regardless.  Yes, there might be a slight benefit of going in order to get your body kinda used to that.  But in reality, thats a minimal issue that can be obtained at other times.  Again, just getting in the prescribed workouts is the biggest deal.  Do them when it fits your schedule.  We have a life to live.  Thats my thought.
2008-01-14 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Here's another good email from the coach's group.......

Building fitness and performance is like building a pyramid. The most important work is the done in the beginning, the supportive structures that will allow construction and improvements towards reaching a peak. With this pyramid, the stronger the supportive structure, the stronger the performances once you reach the top or your peak.

Without the underlying structures, or base, the pyramid will not support itself. Imagine the heart rate zones of training in a pyramid structure, with Zone 1 as the base and Zone 5 at the top. Often athletes abandon training in lower heart rate zones out of frustration or boredom and move on to the higher zones. Athletes train in Zones 3 – 4 because it “feels good”, it allows us to go fast and get our competitive nature out. Or, they believe that training harder will yield faster, stronger results. Consequently, this thinking comes at the cost of performance, health, and fitness. Skipping out on training at lower heart rate zones is a sure way to watch your pyramid deconstruct into consistent injury, burn out, or never reaching your athletic peak.

Training with heart rate is one way to work towards building a solid pyramid. While perceived exertion and training by feel are useful, at times they will leave you training too hard when it’s time to go easy or going to easy when it’s time to go hard. However, knowing your heart rate is like having a window in your body. You can better understand how your body is responding to the workouts and improving over time. As such, training with heart rate is a systematic method of improving cardiovascular fitness. The body changes in respond to stress and demands. By training at sufficiently intense levels, you can appropriately stress your cardiovascular system. At rest then, the body then adapts to strengthen the cardiovascular system. Over time, you heart actually becomes more efficient at delivering oxygen and fuel required by muscles to maintain a higher level of performance.

Knowing your heart rate zones will allow us to better estimate, and understand where to train to bring about the most cardiovascular improvements. Listed below you’ll find a description of the different heart rate zones.

Zone 1: Recovery

Zone 1 is the lowest level of training where you can still increase fitness. This zone is used for active recovery, beginners and to improve overall health. Fat is the primary source of fuel in this zone. This zone includes recovery runs, bikes, or swims. For example, flushing out the legs with a light spin after a harder run.

Zone 2: Extensive Endurance

Training in this zone develops and improves endurance and aerobic capacity. Aerobic endurance is built and production of lactic acid is low enough to allow for extensive, comfortable training. Training in this zone improves the ability of the heart to pump blood and the ability of the muscles to utilize oxygen. Training in this zone teaches the body to become more efficient at fueling muscles as they work and metabolize fat as a primary source of fuel. Slow twitch muscle fibers also become stronger and more capable of using oxygen to produce energy. In turn this allows muscles to conserve glycogen. This zone is the most commonly used in multisport training. Ironman distance training and racing takes place predominantly in this zone.

Zone 3: Intensive Endurance

Training in this zone is the most effective for improving overall cardiovascular fitness. Zone 3 training improves your body’s ability to transport oxygen to the muscle cells and carbon dioxide away from the muscle cells. Training here also improves overall muscle strength. With the increased intensity in this zone, lactic acid production also increases. As a result, fast twitch muscle fibers are recruited to support slow twitch work. Often, athletes make the mistake of doing all training in this zone. While this zone is still aerobic and training here ‘feels good’ it comes at the cost of not being easy enough to promote endurance or recovery and not being hard enough to really count towards improving performance. In other words, it becomes a dead zone. Training in this zone is often used early in the season and exchanged later for harder intensities.

Zone 4 – 5a: Threshold

Training in this zone feels hard, muscles fatigue easily and breathing is heavy. In this zone, the amount of fat used as the main source of energy is greatly decreased while stored glycogen is used instead. A by-product of burning glycogen is lactic acid. Lactate threshold is the point at which your body cannot remove lactic acid as quickly as it is produced. Training at threshold increases your anaerobic or lactate threshold which, in turn, improves performance. Through proper training, it is possible to increase your ability to tolerate lactic acid for longer periods of time and increase your anaerobic threshold. Aside from Zone 2 training, training in this zone is the most important training zone for multisport athletes. (note: Zone 4 indicates training below your LT, Zone 5a indicates efforts above your LT).

Zone 5b: Anaerobic Endurance

Training in this zone is possible only for short periods of time. Fast twitch muscle fibers are recruited for work in this zone increasing their growth and development. The body also learns to tolerate and remove lactic acid in this zone. Lactic acid develops quickly and muscles are placed into oxygen debt. High volumes of training in this zone may lead to overtraining and injury. As such, training here is used sparingly and carefully, followed by extended recovery to allow the body to rest and adapt.

Factors Influencing Heart Rate

Heart rate changes over time. It is important to test your heart rate zones throughout the year to be sure they are the most accurate for your current situation and fitness level. Other factors that may influence heart rate:

*Genetics (for example, two 30 year-olds will not necessarily have similar HR zones)
*Improvement in fitness may decrease heart rate at a given intensity
*Altitude may increase heart rate by 10 to 20%

*Age influences HR zones
*Dehydration may increase heart rate by up to 7.5%
*Humidity and heat may increase heart rate by 10 beats per minute

It’s important to remember that like any construction, building strength and fitness takes time. Training in lower heart rates is not easy – at times it requires holding back or even walking. However, the changes (improvements) that take place in the lower zones prepare your body to handle the higher workloads ahead. Again, jumping to higher zones too quickly is the quickest way to find yourself injured, fatigued, or stale. Take the time to build the base of fitness with aerobic, endurance training to train smart, train safe and train towards your potential for your best season yet.

2008-01-14 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

OK Team.  What does everyone have planned for this week?

I'll go first.  Tomorrow, I hope to swim depending on how my ear infection is doing.  Wednesday I'll probably do strength.  Thursday a bike/run brick or run only.  Friday either a run or strength.  Saturday possibly a trainer ride.

2008-01-14 2:58 PM

User image

1st another HR question. How often should you train in the lower HR zones? I find I am constantly having to back off to keep my HR in range.

This week is swim/run mon/wed, bike tues/thurs, and long run and swim this week end some time. I also had the same question about order of things. I rearranged to fit spin classes into my schedule as well as swim lane availablity.

Joanne, you are a rockstar. Being.....in the prime of your life with a 4 y/o that you will teach latin and an elderly person to take care of. I was counting the days when I could have time to myself and should have taken it sooner. Maybe...just maybe, I would be more sane now and then.
2008-01-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1155447

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

teresa - 2008-01-14 3:58 PM 1st another HR question. How often should you train in the lower HR zones?

One way to answer this question is with another question.  What HR zones will you likely be racing in?  What percentage of time during races will you be in each zone?

But actually, this isnt necessarily the best answer either.  What I'm finding and learning is that the vast majority of our training should take place in the lower zones.  Like probably 90%. 

The post from earlier today lends itself to why.  One needs to develop a strong base of the pyramid.   That base is a strong aerobic system.  These easier efforts bring about a host of positive body adaptations that prepare the body for harder work down the road.  Build the base, keep the injury risk low, and be consistent. 

Teresa, see if you can pick up a book.  It costs maybe $15.  The author is Jack Daniels, a top college running coach (not a whiskey!).  Here's a link to amazon for the book.  http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-Jack/dp/0880117354

The gist of the issue is that Daniels has his cross country team do most of their training at "E-pace", or easy pace.  Its actually an easier pace than you might believe.  He does work in some higher exersion stuff, but its mostly E-pace.  Something that can be done day after day.  Consistently.

My experience is that pacing is really hard to do.  Something that I continue to struggle with.  When I started out, I liked going hard.  It felt soooo good to push it.  I also ended up with a lot of injuries.  Even now, having lived through the better part of 2 years of injuries, I still tend to go too hard.  I'm a lot better now though.  Its a tough lesson to learn.

2008-01-15 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

This weeks plans:

Sunday: 12mi Bike - w/ hills - Partial ride on the course for my first Tri.

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 800yd Swim - 3x200 RPE 6/7 main set

30m easy run - RPE 4/5

Wednesday: 30m bike - Flat - RPE 5/6

Thursday: 30m Run - Fartleks

Friday: 1700yd Swim

Saturday: Bold in The Cold 15k Run

2008-01-15 2:58 PM

The articles on Zone based training are very interesting and informative... I have been starting to pay more attention to that lately, hopefully it will help. In reading these articles I think that I have unintentionally done quite a bit of lower zone training in biking and swimming, but not in running, and that may be exactly what I am missing. It is quite boring to run at the lower paces, but knowing that it will help with the endurance later on is good incentive to do it.

Thanks for passing this info on, Rob. It is great stuff.
2008-01-15 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1157940

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
My plans for this week:

Yesterday: Bike and some arm stuff.
Today: weights and Tae Bo at home.
Wed: Run
Thurs: Schedule unsure
Fri: weights and Tae Bo at home, or walk/run outside, depending on weather.
Sat: Schedule unsure
Sun: Bike and Swim
Throat is still a bit sore, so I'm ok if this is a low intensity week.

Ridge, thanks for all the articles. Most of them are over my head, but I do get some good stuff out of each one. (Sorry about your Cowboys.)

Teresa, Thanks! I've never been called a rockstar before. I have a blast with my "people" at home, but I do enjoy having triathlon training as something just for me. Good luck with all your plans for the year. Sounds like you're right on track. (I might do Wunderwoman too- still thinking about it.)

Have a great week everyone.

Joann
2008-01-16 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Yes, Jo, the Cowboys loss was very tragic.  But in some ways, there's only 1 team each season that ends happily.  31 others not so.

Brad, the pacing is probably most important in running as it has the highest chance of injury. 

Anyway, glad you guys like the articles.  I'll continue passing them on as I come across stuff.  Reading things like that is how I developed my knowledge.  It just comes over time. 

Looks like everyone has good weeks planned.  AWESOME!

Edited by Ridgelake 2008-01-16 7:39 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19