Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-05 11:23 AM
in reply to: #1134828

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Full

Tim-- thanks for all the great heart zone training links.  Can't wait to dig in!  I've never been tested myself and we haven't really hit "zones" in our sprint training program, but I think it'll become a more important part of our Oly program.  And now that I have my nifty new Forerunner 305, it'd be nice to be able to use a lot of its features.

Well, just for grins and to test out the PIP capability of the site (and to ensure that my photo-taking several nights ago was not all for naught), I'm adding the "how in the heck do I fit my bike into this thing?" photo so you can get a good laugh at how dense I am.  BTW, it's being resolved thanks to all of your help, but why not....  Have a good weekend, everyone!

2008-01-06 11:30 PM
in reply to: #1103805

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 2: 2008

Week 1 of 2008 is just about history for most of us. How did your week go?

I think most of us are on training plans and have goal races and this brings up an excellent topic that Kristin brought up in her post last week.

So, question of the week: How to do you manage to find a proper balance in your training?

As we trundle through our training plans, most of what we do must be sustainable even though peak weeks might not be. We all have priorities in our lives and training is but one of many. Kids, spouses, family, work, friends and commitments.

In the end, we all do the best we can with our training as well as on race day

2008-01-07 6:54 AM
in reply to: #1138113

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Week 2: 2008
Week 1:

The week went ok for me. I have not been able to d othe time or volume that I would have liked to be able to complete but with everything else going on in my personal life I think that surviving and completing what I did is an accomplishment.

The last couple of runs have felt great and my pace is about 30 seconds per mile better than most of my training runs so I am hoping that i have made some progress there. I am thinking of slowing down my pace just a bit and opening up the distance on my regular runs to abou 10 miles and see if I can ramp up the pace there...... I have to grab that book you talked about WaterDog and check out the volume running for better times. I would like to really hit the running hard after my iron man this year and see if I can break 4 hours in a stand-alone.

"How do you manage to find a proper balance in your training?"

Here is my take on life.... take it for what it is worth as I am no expert in life... actually at times i really suck.

There are priorities in life that change every day. Some days my prioritiy is to get some good sleep while other days I need train or hang out with my friends. My time has become very limited since I started this venture.

I have decided that I am making myself #1 in my life. Yes that is right #1. Over my twin boys, over my job, over my soon to be ex wife, over my friends, over Everything. Is that selfish? I dont think so and here is why. If I am not number one on my list then on what list will I ever be number one. My kids are a very close second but if i do not take care of myslef and the things that i need and want to do then I can not take care of them they way the deserve. I am a great father and have 2 wonderful boys and I owe it to them and myslef to be HAPPY and Healthy.

I train about as much as I possibly can and that means making some sacrifices. I no longer golf as much as I would like, I no longer drink with my friends weekly, I no longer watch tv or play video games for hours on end and i am ok with all of that. I do miss some of the hanging out with friends but I will sacrifice a small run or recovery to go "hang" and try to get together every other week for some type of activity. (they are not active people, so i guess I need some tri-buds)

Again I suck at life some times... so my balance is prob not the best but it is working for me at the time.

This week I hope to hit 30 - 35 miles running, 2 trainer rides 1:45 each (want to get on the road... too damn cold in Prescott), and 2 swims (if possible)
2008-01-07 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
WaterDog66 - 2008-01-06 11:30 PM

Question of the week: How to do you manage to find a proper balance in your training?

As a working mom with 3 kids under 10, balance is a driving force in my life.  Baggyman mentioned the priority list - for me, it changes All The Time.  I have a lot of thoughts on this topic, so if I blather on, feel free to tune me out.  Balance plays into race planning, workouts - everything.

Race planning:  I have a wonderful work situation, and understanding family, but I know that longer races just aren't in my future while I have small kids - I couldn't make it work without requiring too much from everyone else.  So while I would love to train for a HIM someday, I know it's not going to happen in the near future.  I'll focus on doing the best I can at sprint/Oly for now. 

Workouts:  It's funny, but race training has actually helped me to feel comfortable with the idea of missing workouts.  Before that, when I exercised without goals (just to get fit/stay in shape), I would have real problems if I missed a day or two.  Because my goals were so nebulous, they were easy to postpone, and suddenly a day or two would be 2 months without workouts.  So racing helps me to make a conscious commitment to "me-time" more than I ever realized it would.  And as the old adage goes, "if momma ain't happy, nobody's happy" - and exercise makes me a happier mom.  Everybody in the family knows it, too - last year when I was grouching around on a Saturday my son told me to go for a run!

I've also made a point this year (after some grumbling from the hubby after last year) that I will try to get as many my workouts done in non-family time as is humanly possible.  This requires both early morning and lunchtime commitment - which can be hard.  But it's worth it to know that my husband won't come to resent this thing that is important in my life.  I also need to go over my race schedule with him, to see how many weekends he's comfortable with (I've been avoiding this, actually, so this thread will be my much needed push).  

Tri training with kids:  One of the goals I've noted on my blog is to show my children what an active lifestyle looks like, and that is a way that I think tri-training and raising kids can go together.  I already know that my 5 year old is going to be my distance running partner in a few years - she's got interest and she already has a distance runner's stride, believe it or not.   My kids love to laugh at me/time me while I practice transitions... so if I can include them, I do.  I run with kids in a stroller, bike with them behind me in a trailer. 

I have given up certain things- I don't see girlfriends often, unless they're girlfriends that I train with.  I don't go to Pampered Chef parties (ugh), book club, and evenings out with the girls. I don't volunteer in the schools as much as I'd like.  But I do the best I can with the resources I have (isn't it all about efficiency in the long run?

2008-01-07 11:48 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Overall I am pleased with last week. It was my first serious week back after holiday merriment and travel, so I did not want to push myself too hard. I am loosely following a combination of the Gale Bernhardt 27 week half-ironman plan and a Runner's World Smart Coach 10k plan. My husband brought up a good point last night that we need to be sure we don't get too excited in the early part of the year and burn out by September. That happened last year when it was hard to motivate ourselves after the NYC Triathlon in July. So, I am trying to get the training in, but not worry too much if I deviate from what was planned. I do really, really need to get myself back in the pool. Once I get in the routine of going, I really do look forward to swim training. But somehow the inertia working against getting started is stronger in that sport than the others. Anyone have any tips for how to motivate myself to swim?

QUESTION OF THE WEEK - BALANCE:

Well, I am not so good at this. Basically, all I do with my time is work and train (spending some down time with my husband as well). One reason I got into racing (running and triathlons) is to give me some balance from work. My husband and I are at the stage of life where we are focused on our careers, so training for something gives me a reason to leave the office in the evening and not work on weekend when I otherwise would be working. So, while I try to balance things I am not sure I do it too well. It helps that my husband is also a triathlete so we can combine training with quality time together. We do not have children and have realized that when we do we will need to make some changes. This is one reason we are doing a half-ironman this year in only our second year of triathlons. In the next few years when we do have a family I realize that like Kristin I will need to focus on getting better at shorter races rather than going for longer races. So, I guess balance for me is about trying to understand what is feasible and not over-committing myself. I also try not to be too hard on myself if something gets in the way of training and to be flexible as to when I train.
2008-01-07 9:15 PM

User image

Royal Oak, MI

Balance… something I’ve never been real good at. I have an all ‘er nothing personality and my wife warns me about burning out. My mom used to say; “Any strength taken to an extreme becomes a weakness.”, so I’ll continue to try to remember that its ok to pour your heart and effort into things/goals, but there has to be some latitude for “life”. Life doesn’t care what I plan. I just try to dance my schedule in a way that allows it all to flow.

Actually, I think I’ve become more patient with myself, especially since I had kids. I find that I allow myself to error (a little), knowing that I can still be the best me I can be (father, husband, son, friend) if I just keep getting up off the mat and giving it my all. Hey… we all have the same 24 hrs. to support our families, and enjoy being alive while spending it with those we love the most. Do you live to train or train to live? I hope my training leads me to a healthy me, to enrich my experience here with loved ones while we still have time together. And, so far, so good.

Yes, I’ll admit I’d like to see improvements come faster. But, at least I’ve seen improvement, and, I know if I continue to be diligent and prudent with the time I do have available to train, I’ll be a success. And, thanks everyone for your support, it really does help!

Dreu

2008-01-07 9:35 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Some great posts so far this week. Sounds like everyone is setting in for the most part after the holidays.

Balance is something I strive for and am willing to bag workouts and other outside activities to accomplish. For me, a single workout has a pretty insignificant effect on overall fitness that a missed workout here or there is nothing to worry about.

If overall training consistency suffers, then it is probably time to re-evaluate my goals. As for training time, I try to follow the rule of training on "My Time" and not my family's time. This means very early morning runs, Lunch workouts and lots of trainer time after the kids go to bed. But, there does come a time during peak training where something has to give.

I am lucky in that I can usually take time off of work to make this happen. As my big race gets closer, I will usually schedule some time off for a long ride or run rather than doing it on the weekend.

The real challenge is that at peak, usually log about 22-24 hours of training per week (This is not sustainable) and my wife is also a runner and has her own training needs. so, we are constantly juggling schedules so that we can both get our workouts done.

Like some others have said, it is important for our kids to see what a healthy lifestyle is. We will usually do a picnic at the beach and do our Saturday runs in intervals or even hit the track at the University. (It is fun when we get to run together once in a while)

This week was my first week of training for my HIM in the end of March. I am still not in the water but am doing run and bike training. I ended up with some good quality workouts and some good volume. Feeling more than ready for the volume to ramp up in the coming weeks.

My shoulder is getting better every day with some self directed PT and my hope is that my ortho will OK me to swim a bit. (My Appt is Thursday)

Oh, and I signed my 6 year old daughter up for a 1 mile kids run at Legoland in two weeks and my wife is doing RnR Marathon next weekend. I am actually enjoying being the family sherpa. (After all, they support my racing so well)

It is actually nice to give something back

2008-01-07 10:00 PM

New user

Bay Area, California

I know I’m a little late getting in on the goals discussion from last week, but after not making up my mind all week, I think I’m just in need of some professional advice from the group.

I’ve never done a triathlon before, but I’ve been working out for 4-5 hours per week for more than 6 months and I’ve run a few shorter distance races. Please notice I didn’t say I’ve been “training” in the last few months, just “working out”. Most of my workouts have just been for the purpose of working out and hitting a time, not working toward any real goals.

For my first tri, I’m considering the Wildflower the first weekend in May, which everyone tells me is a great experience. My big dilemma--I’m not sure if I should sign up for the Mountain Bike modified-sprint distance, or the Olympic distance, and I’m really getting eager to sign up!

I’ve been looking at different training plans, and I can definitely do the beginning times for the Olympic training programs with no problem, I’m not going fast, but I can do the time. At the same time, I’m concerned that maybe I won’t be able to do it all together, but maybe four months of training will help that? Or, is it just better to start with a sprint and move up?

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

2008-01-08 12:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

AATri-- have heard great things about Wildflower.  It sounds like you have a solid fitness base.  Because of that, I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for the Olympic distance and then get yourself on a training program.  I know a lot of people that started with Olympic as their first triathlon and did just fine with training.  I'm not a mountain biker, so the thought of doing a sprint distance mountain course is enough to sign me up for Oly!<G>

Anyway, my two cents.  Just jump in-- you've got some great support here.  (Of course, this is largely self-serving because I'd love to hear about your experience at Wildflower because I may put it on my 2009 calendar!)

2008-01-08 12:16 AM
in reply to: #1140657

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

...and I suppose I'll add my week one wrap-up and talk about the balance.

Week one was pretty good for me.  Since I don't have my training program just yet, I focused on strength training, diet, and attempting to get back to a routine at the gym.  Managed to spin, and tonight I even swam, so eventually I will get there.  I'm happy that even though I've been "off" since mid-October, I haven't lost a huge amount of fitness.  So we'll move on from there and take each week as it comes.  I officially signed up for the Iron Girl Triathlon in Las Vegas, so Olympic distance, here I come.  (Although I did get a little sick to my stomach when I pressed "confirm"!)

I've only ever trained for sprints, so I don't really have a problem with training taking over my life.  I do have trouble finding time to fit training in, but because triathlon is what balances me, I have to make time for it.   I am not a morning person and have to be in the office before 8am, and lunch is usually on-the-go or nonexistant (and no shower facilities, so lunch workouts would be gross), so I have to get all my training in at night and on the weekends.  My hubby has been pretty supportive of me leaving him all the time to go to the gym.  He knows that I'm happier when I'm able to train, and he likes that I finally have a hobby that I enjoy and am somewhat "obsessed" about.  Even my boss LOVES that I am happier and more driven when I am in training-- he's been very supportive of my having to leave work on time to get to a workout, or to take an hour out of my day to go to physical therapy.  That still doesn't make it easy to train after I've worked a 12 hour day, but I can't complain-- I love my job.

I'm a bit concerned about going longer and the time committment associated with it, but my coach is a big fan of perceived exertion over obscene training times, so I may as well.I guess I'm also fairly young and don't have the constraints of kids right now, so that is also pressuring me to go long while I can.  We're still a few years away from starting a family, so I feel like there's no time like the present.  Anyway, it's just a juggling act that I make work because I want to do well.  And I need this-- it really balances me out.

Edited by mtngirlincali 2008-01-08 12:18 AM
2008-01-08 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1140773

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
AAtri - 2008-01-07 10:00 PM

For my first tri, I’m considering the Wildflower the first weekend in May, which everyone tells me is a great experience. My big dilemma--I’m not sure if I should sign up for the Mountain Bike modified-sprint distance, or the Olympic distance, and I’m really getting eager to sign up!

A couple of questions for your consideration, because only you will know whether you truly can do this or not:

Do you stick to your commitments?  Once you dive in, will you do what needs to be done to get to the level of fitness you need for an Oly?

How's your swim?  The swim is the big limiter for a lot of people, and there's a big difference between sprint and Oly swim lengths.  Are you a nervous swimmer?  Will the prospect of swimming with a lot of other people freak you out? 

I'm sure there are a few other things to consider, but those would be top of mind for me.  Good luck with your decision, whatever it is!

2008-01-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1140981

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
mtngirlincali - 2008-01-07 10:16 PM

I'm a bit concerned about going longer and the time committment associated with it, but my coach is a big fan of perceived exertion over obscene training times, so I may as well.

Yeah, I am surely in the freakshow category and possibly into the obscene category during peak training

For me anyway, I would have a very enjoyable and satisfying experience doing an IM or HIM with 10 Hours or less a week (Peak Training) and could still be fairly competitive at the Oly Distance.

I have some pretty agressive goals for my Tri Season as well as my follow up Marathon Season this Fall and my higher level of training is hopefully going to get me there. My normal course is to schedule plenty of tuneup races to measure my fitness and insure that I am actually improving.

My goals are agressive to be sure, and I am more than willing to not make a few of them and/or push back if the training is not working for me. (And would still have a very satisfying season)

That being said, I am surely a rule breaker and a lot of what I do for training goes against conventional wisdom at least in certain training circles. (Using a Marathon Training plan as a basis for IM Training for example)

2008-01-08 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1140773

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Wildflower
AAtri - 2008-01-07 8:00 PM

Wildflower is a great experience. I did the Long Course (Half Ironman) last season and the Oly in the 2 previous seasons. It is by far the most satisfactory "Personal Worst" I will ever do.

The Oly course is pretty challenging. The swim is in a lake and usually quite calm in the morning. There are a lot of folks in the race but they do wave starts so it is not as bad. The best part is that the crowds gather on the hillside surrounding the boat dock and give the start/finish a sort of Stadium Feel. 

The bike looks worse than it really is. The first mile goes up Lynch Grade and is very steep. Once on top, the course is mostly rolling with some sections to make up a lot of time. (And you get to fly down Lynch Grade to the finish)

The run is also pretty challenging. the 1st 5k is mostly rolling with some steady uphills and the last 5k is flat with a huge downhill finish. (Back down Lynch Grade again)

The course is certainly doable for a first timer. From your logs, I would expect that the run and the bike (Oly Distance) would be doable for you. Probably just need to evaluate how you feel about the swim. 

If you do decide to do the Oly, I might suggest picking up a sprint in March and doing it as a "Tuneup Race". The idea is to do the sprint (With no time goals) for the experience and to measure your fitness for the big event.

I have a race report for the Oly someplace from 2006 that I can dig up if your interested.

The only other thing to consider is that your wave (Based on previous years) is likely to be later in the morning which puts you out on the run in the warmest part of the day. (Last Year was very, very hot and dry) You might want to do some of your run training inland and mid-day.

Oh, and the race does sell out so you might want to make a decision soon

2008-01-09 11:15 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia

Anya, I would also recommend doing a sprint before an olympic distance, if just to know what it is like to do a triathlon.  The first one I signed up for was an olympic distance, but the first one I completed was a sprint.  It was really, really helpful to have gone through the experience of a race swim and the transitions before my first olympic (which was a large event with ~40 wave start times).

Also, as Kristin mentions, take an honest look at your swim.  1500 meters is longer than it sounds (especially for a beginning competitive swimmer).  I was not close to properly trained for my swim legs last year and paid the price by coming out of the water exhausted rather than warmed up for the next two legs.  I am determined that I will improve my swim enough in the next few months so that does not happen in 2008.

I really don't mean to discourage you - lots of people (my sister-in-law included) have done an olympic as their first triathlon.  I am only sharing my experience that it was helpful to do a sprint first and that I wish I had focused more on the swim.  Good luck!

2008-01-09 2:11 PM
in reply to: #1145198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Ok, where is everybody?  What are you all doing?  I see a few folks updating logs and checking in on the mentor thread, but not a word from some of ya... so ante up!  What's new?  How are the workouts?  What are your goals?
2008-01-09 2:33 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I'm here

I came home real quick to pick up my bag for my run this afternoon. Did a trainer ride this morning and forgot I had a 9:00AM Call with a customer. (And had to rush out of the house to make it just in time)

Training is going well this week for me.

I tried something new that seems to have paid big benefits. My morning time slot is usually occupied by my run mostly out of habit. (And Ride was in the evening)

The other day, I hopped on the trainer instead and ate my breakfast during the warmup. Needless to say, I had one of the best workouts on the trainer in a long time. Seems like the morning slot is where the quality is. Did it again today with similar results.

I really need to keep lunch light and bland so as to avoid tummy troubles on my run tonight though.

Thanks for the Ping

2008-01-10 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1145807

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: First timer questions.

Thanks for your input everyone, both here and in my log. As a first timer, there are some unknowns about triathlons that I'd like to understand better prior to going to my first one. For instance:

• How do transitions work?
  • Do you wear your suit to bike and run, or is the transition are a place to change?
  • How do most of you like to do your transitions?
  • What have you found to be the most effective and efficient way to handle clothing/equipment etc.?
  • What are the "chips" that people receive on race day? To keep race time 'er something?
  • Are there any organizations that you are members of that offer discounts for race entry? Or just any you've found worthwhile that I should look at?

And, another question that is in the back of my head is, what about nutrition prior, during and post race. I'm just starting to look for some articles, so if you have things that have worked for you or links to information you've found beneficial, I'd appreciate you sharing.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions prior to my race, but these seem to be top of mind right now. Smile

Thanks for your help!

Edited by VooDreu 2008-01-10 7:49 AM
2008-01-10 8:32 AM
in reply to: #1147259

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: First timer questions.
How do transitions work?
Smooth hopefully. You run in from your swim. Put on your helmet, shoes if not attached to the bike and take off.

Do you wear your suit to bike and run, or is the transition are a place to change?
I wear the same thing to swim, run and bike in there is no place to change unless you are doing full iron events. I think some 1/2s have a changing area but most dont.

How do most of you like to do your transitions?

I have everything set up and minimal stuff. I see people bring tons of crap and it must take a year to go through it. helmet up side down on the bike with glasses inside and shoes on the bike. No socks... put on helmet/glasses and grab bike and go.
T2 off of bike and on with shoes. Just dont sit down.. do it all standing.

What have you found to be the most effective and efficient way to handle clothing/equipment etc.?

I am way low tech when it comes to this. i bring in everything in a bag... put it out and the bag goes back in the truck.

What are the "chips" that people receive on race day? To keep race time 'er something?
Chips around the ankle keep your time. a lot of sprints are done in a pool so the starting time is staggerd these also alow for you to get your splits as you cross the timing mats

Are there any organizations that you are members of that offer discounts for race entry? Or just any you've found worthwhile that I should look at?
Usat.. so you dont have to pay the 10 bucks extra for each race to get your insurance waiver

And, another question that is in the back of my head is, what about nutrition prior, during and post race.
For a sprint.. nothing really is needed unless you will be out there for a while. water and a gel right before the swim if you want.

2008-01-10 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
VooDreu - 2008-01-10 5:48 AM

Thanks for your input everyone, both here and in my log. As a first timer, there are some unknowns about triathlons that I'd like to understand better prior to going to my first one. For instance:

• Do you wear your suit to bike and run, or is the transition are a place to change?
  • What have you found to be the most effective and efficient way to handle clothing/equipment etc.?
  • What are the "chips" that people receive on race day? To keep race time 'er something?
  • Are there any organizations that you are members of that offer discounts for race entry? Or just any you've found worthwhile that I should look at?

And, another question that is in the back of my head is, what about nutrition prior, during and post race. I'm just starting to look for some articles, so if you have things that have worked for you or links to information you've found beneficial, I'd appreciate you sharing.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions prior to my race, but these seem to be top of mind right now. Smile

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, what Christian Said

Keep it real simple. There are no changing tents and public nudity is usually not allowed. (So no changing under a towel) The best thing to do is wear some sort of Tri specific shorts or a 1 piece Suit under your wetsuit. It will have a small pad in it so you can ride, but is small enough to run in and not feel like your wearing a diaper.

One thing I always do is to put my helmet on top of my seat. That way, the helmet goes on before I unrack the bike. (It is usually a penalty to have your bike unracked without your helmet strapped onto your head.

Anything you can do without, leave at home. (Riding Gloves, Sunglasses, extra articles of clothing) Oh, but don't forget the sunscreen. be epecially liberal when applying it after you get body marked. (Unless you want to have your race number burned into your skin

The key thing to remember is "Nothing New on Race Day". Whatever you do in training is what you should plan on doing on race day.

Practice transitions in your garage when you do bricks. Get used to changing your gear (Especially your Wetsuit) in a timely fashion. The idea is that everything on race day should be automatic.

As little as possible. All though I would love a massage, maybe some shrimp cocktail and a nice bottle of wine to go with it, there just is not time 

Seriously, recovery from the swim happens on the first few miles on the bike and prep for the run happens in the last few miles of the bike, so there really is not much else to do but change and get the heck out of dodge.  

They are a little RFID in a plastic disk that you attach to your leg with a velcro chip holder. (Race usually provides the chip holder but can also be purchased at the expo)

When you run across chip mats on the course, it registers your number and the race clock time. This way, you get two times for the race. A Gun Time which is of very little value since almost no one starts off in the first wave. The second is your chip time which is the ET from the time you start, to the time you finish.

Most good races provide plenty of splits for each segment of the race + transition time. A few of the bigger races even use the chips to provide real time data over the internet sometimes even synch'd up with video for family and friends to watch over the Internet.

A bunch of my friends had a party here last year and watched me run IMLP.  

USAT is great and will save you money on each sanctioned race you do. Local Tri clubs also negotiate with vendors to get group discounts. (My tri club got a discount at several local races here)

Race fees may seem to be expensive at first glance, but in the end, it is probably the cheapest aspect of the whole endeavour. You really do get a lot for your money too.

Oh, nutrition:

That is a very personal thing. Different things work for different folks. For a sprint and even an Oly, you can usually do the race on water and maybe a gel or two. Go longer and your gonna need a nutrition plan.

I also run marathons and was used to spending 3+ hours on the course with nothing but a few packets of Gu and water. I tried that in my first Half Ironman last year and I bonked at about mile 11 of the run. (Warm Flat Cola brought me back to life)

In the end, what you do in training is ultimately what you should do on race day.  

Hope this helps

2008-01-10 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
    Dreu, you are going to get a lot of takers on these questions because we love answering!<G>  There are a lot of different triathlon transitions, and it does vary from race-to-race.  Sometimes there is one set transition area, where you will enter after the swim and bike.  Other times, in point-to-point races, there will be a transition area for the swim-bike, and then a separate one for the bike-run...with shuttles to take you there in the morning and after the race.  Sometimes you get out of the swim and the transition area is super close by...other times, you've got a bit of a run to get there.  If it's in the ocean or a lake and you are wearing a wetsuit, you can choose to take it off as soon as you get out of the water (it's easier then), or you can unzip the top half and jump out once you hit your "area."  Sometimes you get a time for transition (yes!  Transition is my best sport!), and other times, your transitions get added to the swim and the bike times.  So in a typical race, you'd exit the swim area, head into transition, find your stuff, and then start changing.  If you are wearing a tri suit, then the first thing I do is take my wetsuit off.  I put my sunglasses on, which I've placed on top of my helmet on top of my shoes, and then I clip on the helmet.  Now, I towel off if I absolutely have to, put on my socks (if I choose to wear them on the bike), get into my shoes, unrack my bike, and then run that puppy out the transition area.  Now, if you aren't obsessed, you may want to dip your feet in a water bath to get the sand off, properly towel down, grab some water or Cytomax, eat a little something......
    You CAN change in transition.  If you have trisuit, that simplifies things a bit.  But if you swam in trunks and want to get into something more appropriate for a bike and run, I'm not sure how guys do it??  (Baggyman and Waterdog will hopefully take care of you in that department)
    See above. 
I got a new triathlon bag for Christmas, so I'll let you know how that goes!  Until now, I've just packed 2 bags.....one with my helmet, a sweatshirt (pre-race), 2 towels, my bike shoes, run shoes, hat, sunglasses, nutrition, water bottles, and a 2nd with my wetsuit.  And my bike, of course.  I keep my transition area nice and compact, but felt the 2 bag thing was a bit excessive.  (Not to mention difficult....for several races, I had to walk my gear and bike for several miles to get to transition from where i parked....if I had a backpack, I could have ridden my bike!
You got it.  You can buy your own, but I just use the ones the race gives me. 
I'm in a group that gets 10% discounts to most races we enter, which is always nice!  If you have a local triathlon group in the area, definitely join up!  (And if you are racing a lot, the Active.com membership becomes worthwhile)
I have a nice handout on nutrition that I got from a nutritionist.....I'm going to go hunt it down in my e-mail and send it to you.
2008-01-10 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1147846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
WaterDog66 - 2008-01-10 11:06 AM
VooDreu - 2008-01-10 5:48 AM

Everybody else gave great answers... I also consider transitions to be one of my best areas, and I can only think of a couple more things for you:

Some people might laugh at the idea of practicing transitions, but they are Free Time.  Any time you shave off in transitions is time you don't have to make up on the run/bike, in my book.  Every summer I'll spend at least a few of my off days practicing transitions - I run up to my bike in my wet gear, get on the bike, bike the block, and swing back in and take off on the run.  Then I do it again, and again, until it's second nature.

When you get to the race venue, whether you're assigned racking space or not, figure out some landmark that will help you find your way back to your bike quickly.  At my favorite race they don't assign racks - if you can grab a spot on a rack end close to the entrance/exit, you're golden.  Rack ends give you more room and it's easier to find your bike that way.

I'll have a wetsuit this year (yee haw) so I'll have to spend a little more time practicing getting out of that sucker.  Without it, my transitions looked like this:  a brightly colored towel spread out under my bike has my running shoes (with yankz or other speed laces) and socks (although I may try to get to sockless running this year, too), and my race belt on top of it.  My helmet is upside down on my aerobars, with my sunglasses upside down facing me on top of the helmet.  My bike shoes are on the bike, with the lovely rubber band trick holding them in place.  Run up, sunglasses on, helmet on, bike off rack, run out.  Bike back in, running dismount, rack bike, helmet off, socks on, shoes on, grab belt and put it on while running out.

For a sprint distance I'll usually just have water and a gel on the bike (just because I don't eat much the morning of a race and I don't want to bonk).  I'll have to think about nutrition a little more for an Oly distance.

2008-01-10 10:09 PM

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: First Timers Question Responses

Thanks everyone for your answers. That was pretty cool! Getting diverse perspectives and approaches to transitions puts me at ease a little. At least now I think I can devise a game plan for how I expect things to go. And, you all mentioned things that never crossed my mind.

I'm really having a blast getting into this. BTW, I've lost 7 lbs since I started my training just before Christmas! Again, thanks everyone for your input. It's fun to collaborate with others that may be just as nuts as you are! Laughing

2008-01-11 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1149475

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: RE: First Timers Question Responses
VooDreu - 2008-01-10 10:09 PM

Thanks everyone for your answers. That was pretty cool! Getting diverse perspectives and approaches to transitions puts me at ease a little. At least now I think I can devise a game plan for how I expect things to go. And, you all mentioned things that never crossed my mind.

I'm really having a blast getting into this. BTW, I've lost 7 lbs since I started my training just before Christmas! Again, thanks everyone for your input. It's fun to collaborate with others that may be just as nuts as you are! Laughing

Hey, congratulations on the weight loss!  That's pretty great stuff, and you should be proud of what you've done so far. 

2008-01-11 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Looks like most everyone is having a good week.  I think I made it to everyone's logs last night, but still cannot see Sean's. (He has them marked as Private and I am not in his friend's list)

Heading out in the morning for Rock-n-Roll Marathon in Phoenix in the morning and won't have INet Access for the weekend. DW is doing the half, and her friend is doing the full. A friend of mine is gonna try and run his first Sub-3 marathon. (Should be fun to watch)

I have to say that sherpa duties have really been a valueable part of my recovery.

Take care everyone and have a great weekend.

Train Well Cool Kids

2008-01-11 1:16 PM
in reply to: #1148500

Extreme Veteran
About the transitions just really quickly.... Kanders is right in saying that it is free time. I have only been in one sprint tri and there is no room for messing around if you wanto to be competitive. People were putting trash bags over thier bike to keep them dry in the sprinkle of rain.... like you are not going to be soaking wet getting out of the pool???

Minimalistic, practice, VISUALIZE everything that can go right and wrong (fix the things that can go wrong)......

I have a friend that does 2-4 iron distance races a year... he is the SLOWEST guy in the world in transitions... it drives me crazy!!!!!!!. No kidding he walks in to T1 and chats with people at the fences, eats some pizza, washes his feet, dries them, changes his clothes, eats more pizza, washes his feet again.... the whole process takes like 15 min. Same thing with T2. No joke his average transition is 13- 15 min. that is an extra 30 min to his full IM time, but then again he says that is the most fun that he has that day and he is not trying to break any land speed records.

I guess I look at it this way... lets say that you are holding 1:15 in your sprints. 15 min swim 30 min bike 26 min run with 2x2:00 transistions. If you broke the transitions down to :50 for the first one and :35 for the second (baring any distance from pool to water and from dismount to rack) You would drop your time from 1:15 to 1:12:25 Now that may not seem like a lot but now you are AG competitive. Where else can you take off 2:35 with hardly any effort. Certanly not off that 24mph bike or that 7 min mile run.

Edited by baggyman 2008-01-11 1:17 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14