of 14

2008-01-03 6:07 AM
in reply to: #1130049

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Full
mtngirlincali - 2008-01-03 1:03 AM

OK, having some trouble tonight between the blog and my new trainer (Craigslist purchase....I can't get my bike on there because I have this lovely quick-release skewer on the left side of my rear wheel....and I can't tell if this is normal?!! Was going to take a picture on my cell phone and upload it here, but that backfired, too). In case I don't get around to updating my blog here on BT, I do keep one on Blogspot that's in my profile. I'm far funnier over there.

Depending on which trainer you have, you may need a special skewer. We have a CyclOps Fluid2 and needed to switch out the skewers on our bikes with one that came with the trainer. We purchased a second skewer so we did not need to change the skewer each time we switched bikes on the trainer since my husband and I both use our trainer. You can ride your bike on the road with the trainer-specific skewer. I posted a question about this in the equipment thread some time back and will try to dig up for you.

EDIT: found the old thread - here's the link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by jgz_tarheel 2008-01-03 8:16 AM

2008-01-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1128156

User image

Royal Oak, MI

Topic of the week: goals

I’ve never been much of a runner, biker, or swimmer. In fact, I used to say “The only way I’d run is if someone was chasing me.” I’ve always enjoyed physical activity, but it had to be tied to a game like baseball, basketball, etc.

Now I see the whole combination of these activities in a competitive race as a reason to do the individual activates. I guess the truth is, I’m building from a very small base. I can run about a mile non-stop but then I need to walk before I get it going again. My swim technique is horrific. I swim, “heads-up”, because I’ve never learned to breathe and swim. Biking is probably my greatest strength because of a neighbor that got me to do some mountain biking last summer. So, with my embarrassing fitness history exposed, here is what I’m setting out to do this year. If all goes well, I’d love to add on and take it to another level in the future.

Race Goals/Goals:

1. Motor City Triathlon (sprint), Detroit, MI
  2. Fire Cracker Triathlon (sprint), Benton Harbor, MI
  3. Lose 30 lbs. (from 215 to 185)

I have no idea what a typical time is for a Sprint, but I figure I’ll do my best in my first one and that will give me a time to beat on my second.

Training Goals:
I started using Michael Pates Total Sprint Program because it was a 22 week program and my first race was just under 22 weeks away. As I get into it, the program is not all that challenging, so I try to so more than the program requires everyday. I know there are more aggressive programs out there and, maybe in another two weeks... if this program is still slow going, I’ll look into changing it up. For right now I just want to get into the rhythm of meeting my daily objectives consistently.

If anyone has any suggestions on a better regiment I’d gladly give it a look.

Eating:
I don’t think I eat all that poorly. I may eat out once a week, if that. My wife and I love to cook and we eat pretty decently. I think my whole increase in weight is due to my lack of activity. Sitting at a computer 10 hrs a day doesn’t do much for the heart rate. For now I’m using Bill Phillips “Eating For Life” as a guide for my current nutrition program.

Strength Training:
I think I should be doing some strength training as well. I know that strength training will help increase my metabolism; I just don’t want to over do it and have my overall program collapse. I think I’ll add some lifting in once I’ve established a training consistency. When I do get started I plan on using the “Body For Life” training approach.

Does anyone know where on the site I can locate videos on swimming techniques?

2008-01-03 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1130542

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
VooDreu - 2008-01-03 9:44 AM

My swim technique is horrific. I swim, “heads-up”, because I’ve never learned to breathe and swim. Biking is probably my greatest strength because of a neighbor that got me to do some mountain biking last summer. So, with my embarrassing fitness history exposed, here is what I’m setting out to do this year. If all goes well, I’d love to add on and take it to another level in the future.

Race Goals/Goals:

1. Motor City Triathlon (sprint), Detroit, MI
  2. Fire Cracker Triathlon (sprint), Benton Harbor, MI
  3. Lose 30 lbs. (from 215 to 185)

I have no idea what a typical time is for a Sprint, but I figure I’ll do my best in my first one and that will give me a time to beat on my second.

Training Goals:
I started using Michael Pates Total Sprint Program because it was a 22 week program and my first race was just under 22 weeks away. As I get into it, the program is not all that challenging, so I try to so more than the program requires everyday. I know there are more aggressive programs out there and, maybe in another two weeks... if this program is still slow going, I’ll look into changing it up. For right now I just want to get into the rhythm of meeting my daily objectives consistently.

If anyone has any suggestions on a better regiment I’d gladly give it a look.

Eating:
I don’t think I eat all that poorly. I may eat out once a week, if that. My wife and I love to cook and we eat pretty decently. I think my whole increase in weight is due to my lack of activity. Sitting at a computer 10 hrs a day doesn’t do much for the heart rate. For now I’m using Bill Phillips “Eating For Life” as a guide for my current nutrition program.

Strength Training:
I think I should be doing some strength training as well. I know that strength training will help increase my metabolism; I just don’t want to over do it and have my overall program collapse. I think I’ll add some lifting in once I’ve established a training consistency. When I do get started I plan on using the “Body For Life” training approach.

Does anyone know where on the site I can locate videos on swimming techniques?

A few thoughts for you:

1. If you have any extra money and you aren't a swimmer at all, I'd highly suggest getting some swimming lessons. Nothing beats having somebody watch you swim and teach you how to do it better. ALternately, you can look at something like TI (Total Immersion), which has books, drills, and videos that will help you to understand the mechanics of swimming better. I have a copy of the book I'd be willing to send you - I have enough of a swimming background that I didn't find it all that helpful. Because the swim is at the start of the race, it's really important that you feel as confident in your swimming abilities as possible before you get there; swimming with a whole ton of people really becomes a whole different ball game.

2. There really is no such thing as a typical time for a sprint, because the distances vary from race to race, and the conditions have an impact year over year... that's one of the reasons I love triathlon, because you're really just racing against your own expectations/best efforts. Anything else is secondary. When I started last year, I looked at my best performances in each of the disciplines and came up with an approximate guess for what I could achieve, and then tried to push myself a little bit further than that.

3. You'll find that people have different opinions about strength training, but it definitely has an impact on your metabolism and can be useful for that reason alone. I try to fit in 2 circuit training sessions a week, but I'm not diligent about it - the rest of my stuff comes first, kwim?

4. If you are somebody (like me) who has a great love of team sports, you might want to check your area for a tri-club. Most of them are very friendly and welcoming to newcomers, and you can hook up with folks to run with/bike with/etc. That will help keep you committed and in your routines.

Anyway, that's me, running off at the mouth. Glad to have you in Waterdog's group!
2008-01-03 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1103805

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Looks like we are all off to a great start

Dreu: I have a link to a Tri Calculator in my Blog that you can use to provide a rough estimate for pacing a Triathlon. You enter your training volume and paces as well as the course (And difficulty) and it will return splits and paces for each discipline.

It is very rough and not to be taken as a proper prediction. In the end, you must be comfortable with your ability to race at those paces. (Some Goal Pace Training will help gain the confidence in the prediction)

Oh, and swim lessons are a very good thing. Check around for a Master's Program or check out T.I. as Kanders suggested. (I know a lot of folks who got scary fast using TI)

Erin: did you get your trainer setup all sorted out?

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-01-03 11:47 AM
2008-01-03 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Jessica--
Thanks for the suggestion on the trainer. I got an older CycleOps Fluid Trainer, and I think you are right about needing to get a skewer that'll fit the trainer. I already have to call them and order a new crank handle, so I may as well ask about the skewer...and that thread was helpful, although I don't even know if i'll manage to replace it easily at all. I'm scared of messing up the bike!

Kristin--
I think I just want to conquer my fear of flipturns. Not sure that they will be particularly useful given that all the races out here are in the ocean or lakes, but I definitely want to give it a shot.....we shall see how it goes.

As for running, my coach knows it's a priority, so we'll see what she does. I think I'll just add miles, and she will add track workouts to try and increase my foot turnover a bit more. I started off in June running an 11-minute mile, so I'm pretty happy as is with the progress. I'm usually a pretty good swimmer for a beginner (I don't push myself in the sprint swims, but I can usually get in and out of a 1/2 mile swim in 15 minutes or less) and I'm always one of the top few in my age group on the bike, but the run is where they all come back and pass me. An extra 3 minutes is hugely beneficial, but for the next few months I really want to be able to make the 10K distance. I've finally weaned myself off walk/run for the 5K, but I think I need to bring it back to get me longer..... Anyway, that's where I'm at with the running. Long way to go!

Anyway, thanks everyone for the help. Now, can anyone tell me how to get my goals in the blog to HTML??! I can't find the html icon anywhere. I can write the table myself in HTML, but I am way too lazy and would just prefer to cut and paste.....
2008-01-03 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1131497

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

mtngirlincali - 2008-01-03 12:35 PM Now, can anyone tell me how to get my goals in the blog to HTML??! I can't find the html icon anywhere. I can write the table myself in HTML, but I am way too lazy and would just prefer to cut and paste.....

Sure, just go to your control panel and set the "Use Rich edit Box When Composing Messages" to Yes.

When your done, you can switch it back to no if you don't want to use the HTML editor for all of your messages. (The HTML Source will remain when this is switched off)

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-01-03 3:24 PM

2008-01-03 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1130617

User image

Royal Oak, MI

Waterdog66 and kanders,

Thanks for the link and I'll google the TI book and check it out.

2008-01-03 7:40 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Hey, Team Waterdog! I had to share that I JUST SIGNED UP FOR MY FIRST HALF IRONMAN!!

I have been planning on doing it for months now, but there is something very exciting (and scary) about actually putting my money where my mouth is and committing. Now I have extra motivation to put in those long base miles (and yards) this winter!
2008-01-03 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1122464

New user
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Open
Dreu- I'm up in Lapeer County, Metamora to be exact. There is a great fun tri in June, the Nig Fish. If you have never done it, you should. The last couple of years it has filled, and is getting more popular. Sprint and Olympic distance offered, and Duathlon too. You should check it out.
2008-01-03 7:49 PM

New user
Dreu- Thats Big Fish...bad eyes...and I'm pool director at a health club up here. I would be willing to watch your strokes and give you some advice....no charge. Let me know. Barb
2008-01-03 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Jessica--

Congrats on signing up for your first HIM!  I'm a little jealous.....still on the fence about whether I want to do it this year or not.  (One of the women I train with is going to do Barb's Race at Vineman, but I don't know if I could do it.......I definitely would do the Aquabike, though)  Anyway, kudos for kicking yourself into gear and making the decision.

2008-01-03 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1132327

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

jgz_tarheel - 2008-01-03 5:40 PM Hey, Team Waterdog! I had to share that I JUST SIGNED UP FOR MY FIRST HALF IRONMAN!! I have been planning on doing it for months now, but there is something very exciting (and scary) about actually putting my money where my mouth is and committing. Now I have extra motivation to put in those long base miles (and yards) this winter!

Great job Jessica

It is a bit of a rush to "Click the Button" and register for one of these things. I have heard good things about the race you are doing.

Oh, there is a thread over on the Ironman forum where you can respond with your HIM Plans. (And can see others who are planning on doing the race)

2008-01-04 11:16 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Erin - I heard that Barb's Race is a good one. If I lived on the West Coast I would definitely consider that one. I am exciting about doing the HIM this year, but know training will suck up almost all my free time. I figure now is the time to do it when I don't have any kids!

Tim - One of our triathlon friends did the race last year, and she loved it. I figure it will be a good first HIM since it is fairly local to us and is smaller. We are getting a group together to do it, which seems to make the races even more fun!
2008-01-04 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1133602

User image

Royal Oak, MI

jgz_tarheel - 2008-01-04 12:16 PM I figure now is the time to do it when I don't have any kids!

Yep, good Idea! As amazing and wonderful as they are, kids do require alot of time. Enjoy the chance to schedule your training time a little easier, oh yea... and sleep. Sleep! Can't anyone get a full night around here!? Laughing

Dreu

2008-01-04 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1133822

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
VooDreu - 2008-01-04 10:29 AM

Can't anyone get a full night around here!? Laughing

Not really

The Balancing act is tough sometimes but in the end, a single workout becomes less important than catching up on sleep.

Seems like there is a good weekly topic there someplace. (Balance Maybe?)

2008-01-04 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
Can I suggest another future weekly topic? Heart rate training. I have been trying to get the hang of this since I was cleared by my endocrinologist to do anything other than slow paced, low heart rate training.

2008-01-04 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1133972

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

jgz_tarheel - 2008-01-04 11:22 AM Can I suggest another future weekly topic? Heart rate training. I have been trying to get the hang of this since I was cleared by my endocrinologist to do anything other than slow paced, low heart rate training.

Sure thing

There are some excellent articles here and a few other places and I suspect we all have some great experience to add to the topic.

2008-01-04 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1133972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

jgz_tarheel - 2008-01-04 1:22 PM Can I suggest another future weekly topic? Heart rate training. I have been trying to get the hang of this since I was cleared by my endocrinologist to do anything other than slow paced, low heart rate training.

That would be a great topic, since I often find myself fighting against doing it (even though I know it's smarter).  For example, I turned my workout today into a brick to make up for yesterday's missed run, which meant that I should have been doing both of them Z2.  I kept creeping up, mostly because I hate going slow~ I love the feeling of pushing my body harder.  But I have to remember there's a reason behind zone-based training.

Congrats on signing up for your HIM!  I'm a little jealous, as that isn't in my future for a while.  I have too many other commitments to make room.  It will be great to watch how you train for this from the sidelines!

2008-01-04 4:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
While I understand the Idea behind HR training I dont pay much attention to my heart rate. I have never done a VO or LT test to determine my HR zones and I dont think that the whole 90% of 2210-your age is the way to go for most people. I just run how I feel eventhough I usually have my 305 for distance and i rarely use the hrm.

My long runs I average 148 - 154 when cruising along.
My short runs I average 163 - 170 and I can feel it... just that 9 or 10 bpm and i am huffing.

I usually decide what type of run I want to have depending on the rest of the week and go for it...... If it is a slow run ill slowdown and just have a nice run.... If it is tempo work I usually pick a pace on my watch and keep with in a few seconds of that. If it is speed work, which i rarely do, i am on a treadmill to hell with the hrm because i want to vomit.

So I guess I just it as another tool rather than a bible.... but as my goals change i am sure my training will also. Still looking for that sub :50 10k and a much faster Marathon than my first at 4:26
2008-01-04 4:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
btw what are the stars under our names....
2008-01-04 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1134489

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

The number of stars represent the number of posts made. Each color is a different "Denomination:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=64892&posts=2&highlight=Stars&highlightmode=1#M669437

Here is a thread that describes it in more detail.

2008-01-04 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1134485

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I personally train for the run using Daniels Running Formula (Actually, an online Calculator that uses it) to figure out my paces based on my recent race times.  It not only provides me with target race paces for all distances, but also provides training paces for each workout.

This is because I really learned how to run by marathoning, and my marathon training plan was based on pace and distance.

I train the bike using HR Zones and RPE just because all of the formal bike training I have done is based on Volume (Time) and Effort. (PRE + HR)

I do use an HRM for running, but just to make sure a recovery run is really recovery. Over-Training, Dehydration and even lack of sleep can elevate the HR and I want to be sure I am doing the right workout on recovery days.

2008-01-04 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Heart Rate Based Training

It is almost cliche, but the easiest way to tell the difference between runners and triathletes in the room is to describe a bad finish to a race and listen to the response:

Runner - Well, you must have gone out too fast. Clearly your opening pace was quick for the course and conditions and you fatigued to the point and slowed way down at the end. (IE, You hit the Wall)

Triathlete - Well, your nutrition must have been off. What was your nutrition plan and did you follow it. Did you take in enough calories to sustain your level of effort for the duration of the race? (IE. You Bonked when you ran out of fuel)

This joke sort of points out interesting perspectives from different sectors of the Endurance Sports World. Although this anecdote is not  representitive of each groups athletes mindset, it is funny because there is a kernel of truth to the difference.

Another key difference (At least at the level of coaching athletes) is how each approaches traing intensity.

Many runners follow Daniels Running Formula to calculate training (And Racing) Paces and apply this to Pace/Distance based training plans. (Like Pfitz, Higdon and Lydiard)

Many triathletes follow the method of using Heart rate (HR) and Rate of Perceived Exhertion (RPE) to measure intensity and train by Volume and Intensity. (Highlighted in the Triathlete's Training Bible as well as many other books and training plans)

Both methods seem to work well for the athletes but neither are that simple to apply to a trainng method. Being Triathletes, most of us are inclined to use HR for at least a portion of our training and so understanding the best way to apply this method  is key.

Here are some links to a few articles to help us all get started:

An article by Pete Pfitzinger on run training with an HRM:

http://www.runningtimes.com/rt/articles/?id=6627&page=1

Although Pete is a bit proponent of Daniels Running Formula, he wrote several articles on his expriences with training athletes using HR as a contributing editor at RunningTimes. Some key points that he makes, don't use HRM (For the Run anyway) to measure Race Day Effort and Don't use a formula to calculate your Max HR.

Here is another article by Coach Hansen from Running Times on the concept of a drifting "Lactate Threshold" or as it is known now, "Aerobic Threshold":

http://www.coachbenson.com/s_28.asp

The idea is that as we train and our fitness improves, our MaxHR probably won't  change, but our Threshold point certainly will. (And so will our training zones) The takaway from this article is to test your AT often during training to insure your zone based training is correct.

Some will note that this is no different with Pace Based Training. As fintess improves, runners are typically doing Tuneup Races to measure current fitness levels and "adjust" their paces.

Her is an article by Mike Ricci from BT on the way to measure your MaxHR, AT and HR Zones:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=405

I think a good takeway from this article is his suggetion to use the Friel Method for calculating zones (Based on Tested AT rather than MaxHR).

And here is a series of articles by Scott Sherrick also from BT that goes more in detail into HR based training:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=54

This series of articles seems to tie everyones ideas into a common thread of suggestions for HRM Training. The big ideas here are don't use a formula for calculating your MaxHR and/or AT and use RPE as well as HRM to measure intensity.

As some of you have pointed out, (And I have experienced also), HR alone is not always the best way to measure intensity. There are many factors that influence HR and without a backup measurement, it can be very misleading at times.

I am by no means an expert (And not a Coach or Authority) and have only been training by HR for a few years. My hope is that these articles will spark some good conversation based on our experience and we can all take something away from it.

Also, if anyone has any other articles, please feel free to post them. I posted what has been helpful to me with my training and is not a complete guide by any means.

Mike Ricci here on BT is an excellent source of experience and information. If we end up with unanswered questions, we can always drop him a PM and I bet he would provide some quick answers.

2008-01-04 5:31 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
So THAT'S my problem: I started as a runner (pace/distance training) and am now trying to train like a triathlete (HR training). It is a tougher mental transition than I expected after focusing on pace for 20+ years.

Tim - thanks so much for all this information. It will provide some great weekend reading and get me ready to do my LT/AT testing next week!

I'm sure I will have some more questions as I work through the materials.

Happy weekend training everyone!
2008-01-04 6:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
I think that on my "recovery" days I do go too hard. Part of me feels like I dont get the time that I would like to devote to training so this is kind of useless if I am not pushing myself somewhat. Not all my runs are a all out max effort and I by no means leave everything out on the practice route but I have a hard time holding back if I am feeling good.

I think it would prob do my body good to have days where I just relax and jog or just go for a 20 mile spin on the bike.. but somehting inside of me wont let me. Have to work on that!.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14