BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2008-01-07 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1140647

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Subject: RE: Saling4's Group - Closed for now.
Both of those are VERY good...it is starting to be a very interesting poll going on. I will have a new login name tomorrow morning so if you think of anything else...

By the way my name is actually Kimberly ( I know sounds snobby but what can I say.)

2008-01-07 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1116595

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
I think that is a pretty name (same as my sister).
2008-01-08 12:20 AM
in reply to: #1140947

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
thanks I like it too I used to go by Kim when I was little but Kimberly fits me better I think.
2008-01-08 6:28 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be."

Dr. George Sheehan

2008-01-08 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Alas Kimberly,  I still call my little sister Kimmy and she is 43,  poor thing.
2008-01-08 7:52 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
I've been trying to think of a clever name for Kimberly and I absolutely can't. Darnit.

I keep thinking of tri-training w/3 kids at home and all I can get is something like TriToEscape - sort of like tri-training is the relaxing escape from 3 kids, but you have to escape like Houdini to actually get to do it.

RE: OWS - that is my worst event. I'm not very good in the pool - I have to rest after a lap or 2 and catch my breath. This has been true no matter what my fitness level is. I've been trying to at least just flip to my back & take some deep breaths or go along on my side and breathe, then swim, but it snowballs and eventually I just lose it and have to stop. So far, in 3 OWS, I've pretty much gone backstroke and sidestroke the whole way. My first one was a disaster - it took me about 45 minutes to swim 1/2 mile - I had to hang on the kayak so much - hyperventilated, etc - it was awful. Didn't expect that at all. Finished (thank you life saving kayak dude!) and was better next time, though.

Swimming on my side & back - I goose a bunch of people because I can't see them. I'd really like to be able to freestyle the whole way, if nothing else so I don't bump in to so many people.

I've been trying the Total Immersion things - it's getting better - but only by bits. We have a SwimLab in Denver and there are often TI clinics up there - but I'd rather not spend the $$ !

So not so good swimming, lack of discipline around food, and inconsistent training (it always gets put on the backseat b.c. of kids/home stuff) are the monkeys on my back.

Off to the logs....

2008-01-08 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
I am not a swimmer also..

But I am trying..

Completed my first 50..

I had to do two 25 yds starting at the deep end of the pool...

Any help you find would be great...
2008-01-08 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Who is this mystery poster - HailRunr??
2008-01-08 4:08 PM
in reply to: #1142589

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
You should all be familiar with HailRunr we've had a long discussion of what my login should be and it just had to be.

When I so abruptly said it will NOT be Hailrunner I had already sent the email to change it. I LOVED the name but wanted the surprise factor involved so here I am.

What great memories of my first week at BT!!!
2008-01-08 4:43 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

We must be bad if she is already hiding from us.

OWS:  If you haven't used a wetsuit b-4 I can tell you that it is alot more comfortable feeling.  Its hard to say much about swimming without seeing a stroke,  but it will come (slowly).

I will look for some stuff on it. 

2008-01-08 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1135236

Subject: RE: Saling4's Group - Open
Gem!
Yei! I'm so happy to have someone with the same goals! Well, going twice (and even three or more times a year) to the US is a "perk" I have for being married to a man working for an american enterprise. Actually this year there are plans of moving to Mexico, so it will be easier for me to travel frecuently.

Still, IronGirl... mmmm, I absolutely feel insecure of it... I need base, lots of it. Baby steps...

Anyway... we will always have, lets see: Cancun, Canarias, and well, the world is small, ain' it?

2008-01-08 6:49 PM
in reply to: #1143267

OK, sorry for not being catching up that soon... well, hailgirl, What about KiTriMom?
My name is Karime, and also a mom, and I love nicknames with the "K" and the Mom thing... (ha, and why is that I don't have a nick like that?) Well that's my penny to the conversation.
Beside, Ki is the chinese symbol for energy, so it wraps everything you are... or meant to be.
2008-01-08 7:20 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Goforitall:  Your logs are still private.  If you want me to be able to look at them I need to be a "friend" or make them open.
2008-01-08 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1143654

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
I don't think Ron would like me so well if I change the name again so I will stick with HailRunr. I really do like the name. Kimlogin was just well, bland and easy to remember as I thought I was only going to do my logs online. I had no idea I would find friends to chat with. I am loving this site and the commeraderie here. Thanks for the fun and the enthusiatic support.

the triathlete formerly known as Kimlogin

HailRuner

By the way what really sealed the deal with the name was when someone wrote Oh Hail!! Runner!!
I will be that runner someday I will I will I will!!!!!

2008-01-08 9:17 PM

Henderson, NV
Well, I'm sorry to hear that so many of people are worried about the swim. I think that learning and feeling comfortable doing the alternate breathing just takes time. Also, I found that a lot of people kick too much. Try to think of yourself floating on the top of the water and just letting your arms propel you and have you legs act like a rutter for balance. I realize some people might not float as well as I do after I've had 3 children, so you skinny people will have to kick a bit more. Also, if you do have a weak kick you might want to try swimming with some fins (zoomers) to get started and to work on your alternate breathing. Also, someone mentioned swimming sidestroke during the OWS, and in the couple of the OWSs that I've done (a few kids ago) I swam free, back, breast, and side to get me through.

I am really worried about the biking part of the triathlon. How is everyone else getting their biking time in with the freezing, windy weather? Biking is defintiely my weakest sport, but I hear it is the most important for tri. Is this true? And how many miles should I be biking at a time a beginner? Is biking indoors an ok substitute for now?

I'm excited to have such a wonderful and interesting group of people here. I can't wait to see everyone's progress. You are totally motivating me to get my butt moving more.

-Chem (pronounced Kim, like chemistry. Gosh, how many Kims do we have in our group?)
2008-01-08 9:27 PM

Henderson, NV
Also, I noticed that a couple of people are bronze and silver members on this website and I was wondering if the upgrade (from free) was worth the money. I think the planning tool and more specific workouts might be good? How do you all like the extra features?
-Chem

2008-01-08 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1143718

sorry, there u go....
2008-01-08 10:42 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Chem -
Spin classes are GREAT! make the tension a little harder than is comfortable to make sure you are really training, and follow the instructor's lead. Ask them for real bike pointers if you are comfortable - they may be able to guide you a bit individually in class. Not everything you do in a spin class is something you'd do on a bike, but it's all good training.

I haven't used a trainer much - I have one but prefer spin classes - but I know people that love them so they must be good! One friend watches movies while she bikes when her baby is napping or after bedtime.

Don't let people talking about $4,000 bikes and gear ratios and fancy wheels put you off. You doing the best you can on the bike you have is all that matters. Of course, if you ever get bitten by the bike gear bug it's all over...

-H
2008-01-08 11:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Chem, I was actually thinking the same thing during my swim today as you expressed. I LOVE the water and feel so relaxed swimming that I really find it enjoyable as exercise. (Not as much in the chlorinated pool at the gym than my salt water pool when the weather warms up on a beautiful day.) And great point about not kicking so much but thinking of yourself floating in the water. And ditto on the float factor after four kids. I have a neighbor who is a speed skater and actually sinks to the bottom of the pool and can just lay there! When I first got back to really swimming (vs floating on a raft in the pool with a beverage, which is great too on a beautiful sunny day), I would get so short of breath, kicking and using my arms. I discovered that if I just use my arms (during freestyle), I do just as well if not faster, and save my legs for the bike and run. I generally just give a little kick with my breaths to keep my feet from sinking.

Hope everyone had a great day!

And HAIL to the chief!!

Slow and steady might not win the race, but it will get you to the finish line!!
2008-01-08 11:29 PM

User image

New user

This group is a hoot!

Kimberly - I think Swimming in Seattle would be funny, but don't know if it would fit. I love the West coast. I worked for a few months at a summer camp near Tacoma. Sooo beautiful.
I did my bike trips in Ontario, Canada. The first was from Toronto to Ottawa and the second was from Toronto to Manitoulin Island, which is the world's largest freshwater island - it's in lake Huron and I went up the beautiful Bruce Peninsula to get to it (actually the ferry took me and my bike to the island, but I pedaled all the way up the peninsula). It was nice for me to travel there, because before that I always thought I had to travel quite far from home to see real natural beauty (like the Puget Sound!). I have to say though, we don't have the lovely forests you have over your way. And Seattle seems like such a fun city - there was a man playing an upright piano on the street near the Pike street market when I was there - very fun!

Chem13 - for biking in the cold/wet weather, I recommend getting good waterproof and warm gear. Last weekend I got a cover for my helmet that is light reflective and keeps the rain out, as well as a nice fleece hat that fits under the helmet to keep me warm. Brushed wool under garments are great because they are warm even when wet (and the BRUSHED wool isn't itchy). I also got some waterproof foot covers that go over my shoes to keep the rain from getting in. And for cold hands, I got some biking gloves - they are actually something between mitts and gloves that make your hand look like an alien paw. With all of this, as you can imagine I look pretty foolish biking, but I don't care. I'm dry and warm. The sun goes down at 5pm here these days, and I never get off work before 5:30 so all people see is my bike light and the reflectors...

Thanks for all your stories one and all... and goodnight!
2008-01-08 11:56 PM

User image

New user

PS - Mathsgeek is a GREAT name.

Geeky is great! (At least that's what I keep telling myself when I'm wearing all my bike gear...)

2008-01-09 8:02 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

Ya'll stay up way to late for me.  From what I have read your legs are about 10% of your swim stroke basically just  to  help  you  rotate to breath.  Remember to breath you MUST rotate your hips.  If all you can do today is 25*50 yards, good for you.  Next week it will be 60-70 yds.

I love my salt water pool as well. but it is 39 degrees right now and I am not going in it.

Chem:  An indoor trainer works great for drills and with the tension adjustments you can get a pretty good workout.  I use mine alot right now, but I do prefer the road.  What kind of bike do you have?

2008-01-09 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

A little personal glimpse of me:  I have a conflict with speed and having fun.  I want to be faster and improve my ranking,  but doubtful that it will happen.  I enjoy slowing down or stopping and chatting with people slower than me.  Even in the swim which is still my worst part I will stop or flip on my back to say "hi. Your doing great."

Almost forgot Chem,  The bike is the longest part and the part that you can make up the most time.  As far as bronze/silver/Gold go  I like the little extra stuff in the training plans.  It also helps support the site and I get alot out of this site. 

2008-01-09 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, NZ

Hey CanadianCat, thanks for the up on my name! It's more of a truth than anything else! I'm a professional geek with a lifelong passion for learning; I tell that to all of my classes. It absolves kids in my classes from worry about appearing too nerdy, because I promise them that, no matter how they try, they will never be a bigger geek than me!

I am so enjoying training now that I have connected with everyone here. I can't remember how to get people's link into my training log thing for easy blogging. Can anyone remind me?

It's just dawned an incredibly beautiful day here in Taupo; if those of you who have google earth would care to have a look at this town, you might imagine how it looks on a gorgeous day!

Happy training everyone 

2008-01-09 3:06 PM

User image

Veteran
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  

of 11