of 10

2008-01-22 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1169017

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
HailRunr - 2008-01-21 9:00 PM

I also did this without my ipod which is a major miracle!!! I am really not a solitude person. I don't normally enjoy being by myself. I know everyone says it takes time. Is it that I don't like myself? Am I flawed in some subconscious way? Is there a psychotherapist who would like to tackle this one?

Exercise w/out the IPOD is very important MENTALLY!!! Considering it is AGAINST THE RULES TO RACE w/ ONE! SO GOOD JOB THERE!! AND BY NO MEANS ARE YOU SPORTING ANY FLAWS THERE!!! This is human nature... I look at it sometimes as a way to DECOMPRESS, and start over w/ my thoughts!!! GOOD JOB, and YES IT WAS A PRETTY DAY YESTERDAY! I WILL POST SOME PICTURES TOMORROW OF YESTERDAY!

2008-01-23 1:21 AM
in reply to: #1116923

User image

Pro
Alright so the pictures didn't turn out as good as I would have like them, but it is still ok to share w/ you... I did try and take some shots of the moon tonight through the tree's. Taking pictures in the dark is new to me, but here you go!

(Kerry Park 2008 025.jpg)

(Shruken.jpg)

(Kerry Park 2008 008.jpg)

(Stars.jpg)

(Full Moon.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Kerry Park 2008 025.jpg (27KB - 23 downloads)
Shruken.jpg (81KB - 23 downloads)
Kerry Park 2008 008.jpg (30KB - 25 downloads)
Stars.jpg (17KB - 23 downloads)
Full Moon.jpg (96KB - 29 downloads)
2008-01-24 8:02 AM

New user

Steve,
You had replied to my question about the wetsuit I bought that felt tight. Sorry for the delayed response. It feels tight around the neck. Can I just "groom" it a bit. Maybe cut like a V neck or something?

Thanks,
Dan
2008-01-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1173482

User image

Pro
offwego1234 - 2008-01-24 6:02 AM

Steve,
You had replied to my question about the wetsuit I bought that felt tight. Sorry for the delayed response. It feels tight around the neck. Can I just "groom" it a bit. Maybe cut like a V neck or something?

Thanks,
Dan

3 Things you have to look at....
1) As you train you will be losing weight, so it may not be that bad?
2) You may just need to get use to it. I remember when I 1st put one it, I felt like my chest was being pushed in (that was 5 years ago--Still using the same wetsuit today ) so it may not be that bad
3) Since you got a good deal on this suit $30, it may be worth cutting, but I have only heard of this being done at the ankles to speed up transition... Never up top! I would be afraid of a small cut leading to a bigger cut.... Especially as you twist and turn, and wiggle to get in the darn thing everytime!?

Hope this helps??? You may want to try putting vaseline around the neck line as well to see if that allows things to "MOVE AROUND" a little?
2008-01-25 10:32 AM

User image

I'm following one of the Beginner Triathlete training programs, and this week I have more days off and less minutes. I'm figuring there are ups and downs in the training so I don't overtrain. Its hard to cut back and rest, though. I find I want to do more...
2008-01-25 5:16 PM

User image

Pro
Happy FRIDAY!! HOPE EVERYONE IS PLANNING ON BIG WEEKENDS of FUN AND RNR!!

2008-01-25 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1175835

User image

Calgary, Canada
Hello Lauren

How much are you training? What training plan did you choose? I can not see your training log so it is difficult to comment Although I choose the Ironman plan for the next 20 week, I only use it as a guideline. If I feel good and just want to go out, I will enjoy the extra run/ bike or swim. Swimming and biking should be easy on the body and joints, so it should be alright to put in extra time. Enjoy the training!

Igo

Edited by ITan 2008-01-26 8:40 AM
2008-01-26 3:38 AM
in reply to: #1173482

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
The wetsuit fits MUCH differently when wet also. I thought I was going to die in a 2 sizes too small full length suit last year but once I was in the water is was fine. the main thing for me was to have the cut off arms. And it was a little uncomfortable at the neck but that also felt better when it was wet. I was just borrowing it but it was better than just a swimsuit even for a sprint. I didn't need it for cold water just for bouyancey.

A total sidenote on bouyancey.
I would sink if not for my ability to actually swim and tread water. I honestly can not float without my entire lower body sinking and being vertical in the water. Apparently that's just how I am made. I told a swim instructor once that I honestly could not float and he told me it wasn't true so I showed him how I would just sink. He told me that was "normal" for some people and to just go with it and float that way. If I am very calm I can actually float that way for quite a while and then I realize, I am vertical this is not right and my head goes under. Talk about a mental barrier!

Edited by HailRunr 2008-01-26 11:00 AM
2008-01-26 7:38 AM
in reply to: #1177012

New user

That's good news! Does it really provide that much buoyancy? Is it effective in water 50-60 degrees for insulation?
2008-01-26 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1177053

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
I reread what I wrote and edited it. I meant the water was not cold so I used it for the bouyancy only. If I were swimming recreationally I would have been fine in a swimsuit.
So yes it does help with colder temps.
The water we were in for the tri was warm. upper 60's to 70's probably. But we trained in a colder lake, don't know the temp but I was more comfortable than others without the wetsuit. I do prefer the longer leg instead of the short style because of the warmth as well as the fluidity. I think I just made up a word It felt really smooth to swim in. Like the water just skimmed past me. ( was I dreaming? most likely.)

Edited by HailRunr 2008-01-26 11:03 AM
2008-01-28 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Speaking of wetsuits, I will be needing one for my Olympic race and had some questions. Can you rent one, how frequently prior to the race should you practice in one, is there much of a difference between sleevless and full arms (as far as mobility goes?) I ask because reading the reviews of the race from last year people commented that they were too warm in a full body suit and were going to wear sleevless next year. I have only worn a wetsuit for scuba snorking and the water was freezing! Any suggestions on good brands, training techniques, etc?

Tracy

2008-01-29 12:48 PM

User image

Pro
Ok.... Going forward from a suggestion to me by our team (and I think is a great idea!)... Starting Mondays (or shortly thereafter) We right a brief synopsis of our previous weeks workouts, and what was good, bad, ulgy, and great!

Here is the email:
Steve
Would it be a good idea to have everyone to report in the forum once a week about their training progress? I love to hear from everyone what obstacles they encountered during the week, their expectation for the next week etc... It really stimulate me to see that most problems that I am experiencing is probably shared with others

I will start:
Last week was ok for me... I got in a a few workouts logging about 53 miles on the Computrainer, Ran about 15 miles, and got out for 4hrs of Snowshoeing. The one problem that I am faced w/ right now is a nagging in my left knee that I experienced while trail running (I slipped). Fitness wise I feel good, and nutrition wise is good... I am switching from Carbo Pro, and trying out a brand call Inifinit nutrition (http://www.infinitnutrition.com/) until Amino Vital starts back up in the spring then I will go back to that!
2008-01-29 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1181866

User image

Torrance, California
I got a few good bike rides in, I do have a problem in that my butt hurts bad the next day (the next few days actually). Does that go away? It's really annoying. I got a good swim in. I enjoy the swimming, the muffled sound under the water is very calming to me. And I ran 3 times. My hamstrings keep tightening up after only a few minutes. I think I'm stretching enough, and I walk for about 10 minutes before I start running. Sometimes I alternate running a 10 minutes, then walking 10 and so on. Anyway....this week I'm planning on upping my bike time and distance, same with the swim. Until I get this hammy thing under control I'll keep the running the same. My work/school schedule has made training difficult on Tue/Wed/Thur, that might be changing soon, so I can be a little more consistent. I really need to work on my nutrition. I'm eating a lot more fruit, I've cut back on the bread  and realizing that on days I'm not training to cut my calories because I'm not burning enough. I keep reminding myself that it takes time and I just have to stick with it, the fitness will come in time.
2008-01-29 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1181866

New user

I am following the 20 week olympic plan, and last week was my 40% reduction in volume and intensity. I definately felt like I could do more, but it was also a good gauge to see the progress I've made by how good I felt doing my routine. I believe I have a torn rotator cuff, wakes me up 3-4 times a night if I lay on my right shoulder, so starting my swim is usually slow and careful, but after 100 or so yards it loosens up and I don't even know it's sore (although I am careful not to aggravate it). Started this week with 1/2 mile swim followed by 20 miles bike trainer yesterday (felt GREAT!!!).

Dan
2008-01-29 10:48 PM

User image

I've been loving my swimming and running, but loathing my biking. I'm thinking it may be for a few reasons: Its the one sport I've been doing the least, so I'm not as comfortable with it; It may be my bike (moutain bike); I can't do it with my dog (but I can't swim with her either); I don't have routes that I know how long they'll take....

Ok, so enough of my excuses. Now I just need to do it, and the more I do, the more I'll be comfortable with it. I biked a little extra today than in my plan to make up for a little slacking last week.

I'm doing the Sprint--2x balanced--16 week plan. I'm feeling like its a little easy (except for the biking), but I think that the distances in the sprint really aren't that long. The trick is doing them all in a row! I want to try that before I train for something longer, but I'm liking the training so far.

I'm hoping for this next week to focus on getting my biking minutes in, and keeping up on my running and swimming. I've also been doing once/week strength training with a fitness trainer, but I'd like to add one more day of strength on my own. I've been trying to be really good about tracking my calories, so I'd like to keep concentrating on my food too. A lot to think about...
2008-01-29 11:15 PM
in reply to: #1182640

User image

Pro
Taopu - 2008-01-29 5:30 PM

I got a few good bike rides in, I do have a problem in that my butt hurts bad the next day (the next few days actually). Does that go away?

It will happen EVERY year, the 1st few times on your rides, you will curse, and swear!!! It will get better, however you may want to try a new saddle if you are feeling numbness in the crotch! They also have a butt cream (NO JOKE! It works!)

2008-01-29 11:17 PM
in reply to: #1182651

User image

Pro
offwego1234 - 2008-01-29 5:42 PM

I am following the 20 week olympic plan, and last week was my 40% reduction in volume and intensity. I definately felt like I could do more, but it was also a good gauge to see the progress I've made by how good I felt doing my routine. I believe I have a torn rotator cuff, wakes me up 3-4 times a night if I lay on my right shoulder, so starting my swim is usually slow and careful, but after 100 or so yards it loosens up and I don't even know it's sore (although I am careful not to aggravate it). Started this week with 1/2 mile swim followed by 20 miles bike trainer yesterday (felt GREAT!!!).

Dan

Dan good for you... BUT DARNIT BE CAREFUL w/ the shoulder! I have had my shoulder replaced already... No fun!
2008-01-29 11:24 PM
in reply to: #1182934

User image

Pro
learning_writer - 2008-01-29 8:48 PM

I've been loving my swimming and running, but loathing my biking. I'm thinking it may be for a few reasons: Its the one sport I've been doing the least, so I'm not as comfortable with it; It may be my bike (moutain bike); I can't do it with my dog (but I can't swim with her either); I don't have routes that I know how long they'll take....

Ok, so enough of my excuses. Now I just need to do it, and the more I do, the more I'll be comfortable with it. I biked a little extra today than in my plan to make up for a little slacking last week.

I'm doing the Sprint--2x balanced--16 week plan. I'm feeling like its a little easy (except for the biking), but I think that the distances in the sprint really aren't that long. The trick is doing them all in a row! I want to try that before I train for something longer, but I'm liking the training so far.

I'm hoping for this next week to focus on getting my biking minutes in, and keeping up on my running and swimming. I've also been doing once/week strength training with a fitness trainer, but I'd like to add one more day of strength on my own. I've been trying to be really good about tracking my calories, so I'd like to keep concentrating on my food too. A lot to think about...

OK----- GAME ON!! I CHALLENGE you to bike 20 miles this week!! It doesn't have to be all at once!! BREAK IT UP! DO YOU ACCEPT????

ON A SIDE NOTE---- I am leaving tomorrow for a trip to Boulder, and Vail. I won't be back on the computer again until Monday (not a bad thing--- Backpacking, and Skiing for a few days?!)

I hope everyone has a great, challenging, fun, weekend.... I want to throw out a challenge to you guys, and would love to read about it on Monday.... CHALLENGE IS:

DO SOMETHING YOU HAVE NEVER DONE BEFORE.... Whatever it is... If the farthest you have every run is 2 miles.... TRY 3, biked 20 at one time... Try 25, NEVER EATEN ITALIAN FOOD (GOOD FOR IT--- Your strange if you haven't but go for it!).... Get yourself out of your comfort zone for just a minute.... I may be a hypocrite (sp?) this weekend due to the vaca, but I am ALWAYS looking to try something else... THIS MAKES ME a BETTER PERSON (I believe, and it gives me the confidence to step out of the norm!).... Miss you all already!
2008-01-30 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I am in a bit of a training slump right now. It's not that I don't enjoy training, it's more of a motivational problem. By the time I get home at night it is already dark (and it's only 5:30 p.m.), then the kids have activities, and it is really cold, blah blah, blah. Then on the weekend, I usually get one training activity in, but that is not nearly enough. I am also slacking off because I am doing 3 races this season, 2 sprints and my first olympic. I am feeling cocky about the sprints because I did well last time, and the olympic is not until September. I know the time will fly by but........................................

I was able to go swimming with my husband at the end of last week and that was very enjoyable. He is just learning how to swim and it was fun to encourage him. Plus I figured out how to do flip turns! Not pretty but I'm not drowning either.

I plan to ride the trainer tonight and hopefully I'll go running this weekend. (hold me to it guys!)
I too have problems with pain from my saddle on the bike. I think it is the angle of the seat. I have a woman's seat but I can tell I am not sitting on the "sit bones" i.e. the pelvic bones. After 30 minutes or more I can feel most of the weight is on the pubic bone and the "soft tissue" (as my local bike shop calls it) is screaming! Not the most enjoyable feeling when you are 30 minutes into a 2 hour ride.

Best of luck to everyone.
2008-01-30 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1184542

User image

Pro
tahrens - 2008-01-30 1:13 PM

I plan to ride the trainer tonight and hopefully I'll go running this weekend. (hold me to it guys!)
I too have problems with pain from my saddle on the bike. I think it is the angle of the seat. I have a woman's seat but I can tell I am not sitting on the "sit bones" i.e. the pelvic bones. After 30 minutes or more I can feel most of the weight is on the pubic bone and the "soft tissue" (as my local bike shop calls it) is screaming! Not the most enjoyable feeling when you are 30 minutes into a 2 hour ride.

Best of luck to everyone.

I am not a female triathlete, but being together w/ one for a few years I can only reccommend what my wife, and many of her friends swear by.... A TERRY SEAT---- Here is the link:
http://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles/product.html?idc=db08912e8e&c=...

It has the cutaway section in the middle which makes A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! I use something similar as well!
2008-01-30 10:26 PM
in reply to: #1182980

User image

I accept my 20 mile bike challenge. I bike tomorrow, so let's see what I can get done!

Also, I admire you folks with kids. Its gotta be difficult to find the time to train. I have difficulties with just my dog! I've started taking her on the runs, and doing biking and swimming when she's at doggy daycare 2 times a week and on weekends. It definitely takes more thinking and planning...I can't imagine what its like with kidos!

I am a K teacher, so I know the benefit of your kids seeing you exercising and being healthy. So, I guess another way to look at it is, your training also benefits your kids, too!

2008-01-31 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1184630

User image

Torrance, California
Thanks for the link. I checked out those saddles and I'm definitely getting one. I'm trying to figure out what to do for my workout challenge, but I'll probably just try to do a longer run. Have a great weekend.
2008-01-31 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1184630

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I do have the Terry Butterfly woman's seat. I agree it is much more petite and slim for the shape of a woman's pelvis and thighs. That is why I think it is the angle. I had the angle adjusted once and that did help, so I think it just needs a few more degrees tilt up in the front.

Speaking of training with the kids, my daughter has watched my husband and I compete in 5K's and my first Tri was a womans only sprint. After seeing these two events, my 7 year old says she wants to run in the next 5K and can't wait until she is 8 and can compete in the Sprint Tri with me. Isn't that the coolest thing you've ever heard?!!!!
2008-02-04 11:45 AM

User image

Pro
Hopefully everyone had a good weekend?!!

My workouts last week:
Overall I felt pretty darn good. I got in some good bikes, runs, and then hit the ski slopes of Vail (that was brutally hard). My problems are that my knee is really been giving me problems in the past couple weeks (and I am not letting up to let it heal), and the fact THAT I HAVE NOT SWAM ONCE SINCE MAYBE OCTOBER!! I NEED TO GET IN THE POOL THIS WEEK!!! ANY CHALLENGES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! NEED SOME MOTIVATION HERE PLEASE!
2008-02-04 7:52 PM

New user

Okay....last week was bike 44 mi, run 7 mi, swim 1.3 mi. 5 miles of the running was done with an adventure racing group on some crazy terrain. Almost killed me!! Running is definately where I need the most improvement.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10