BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-15 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3549554

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

julta - 2011-06-14 9:40 PM Hello all! I've not been in for a couple of days and will have to check out the article and thread mentioned above. Quick report on the Century this weekend. I was really very pleased with how it went. Since my longest ride prior to this was 67 miles I really had no idea what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. There were some rough miles but for the most it went good and I feel like even though we didn't win any races (finished with a 13.1 mph average) we did finish strong and that's about the best I could ask for. Now for my current problem. I had been to the chiropractor Thursday before the race with a pain that felt like it was in my shoulder blade and radiated around to my chest. She said it was a rib that had moved and put back in place. With a day of icing things felt good on Saturday and although I worried a little about my ride Sunday I never had any pain...fast forward to this morning when I was curling my hair and boom it pops, I couldn't catch my breath and an the pain was pretty intense. Back to the chiro and yes it's worse then it was, she adjusted and put me on that electric thing and when I told her I had a tri this weekend she told me to come back tomorrow, and maybe Thursday....I'm not going to be a happy camper if I can't do this tri. Right now the pain is...well yea it's there... So that's 2 day no training...maybe tomorrow? I'm most worried about the bike because I think I have a habit of scrunching my shoulders forward, which is the problem. She said I really need to work on keeping my shoulders back...ok sorry about the rant...I know there is really nothing to do but wait and see how it goes...it's just this is the first time I've been faced with the possibility of not doing an event.

Great job on completing the century!

I'm not a Dr so I don't have any advice as far as treatment for your aches and pains.  The way I'd handle this is to just rest and focus on getting it better (ice, ibu, etc).  There isn't a lot that you'll gain or lose over the next few days from not training.  Even if you can get out for a walk, stretch and mentally prepare for the race - that would suffice.  FWIW

2011-06-15 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3549735

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Kath2163 - 2011-06-15 12:32 AM

The Century was quite an experience!  It was certainly challenging and I often thought of the 112 mile IMAZ ride without all the stops but for the most part I thought it went well. The ride took us to places I have never seen before so that was great. My nutrition plan didn't work out so great. I did the two hour bottles of Infinit that Ken suggested but I didn't drink enough of it I don't think and then didn't drink the water I needed. I just wanted some solid food so started with pieces of Cliff bar and had a few animal crackers and some pretzels along the way. Cold water and pretzels were great at the 82 mile stop.  My back and shoulder were acting up pretty badly by the 82 mile stop and I spent some time lying in the grass trying to stretch things out. I haven't ridden much on my road bike this year so I am sure that was part of it. Overall it was a good day but I was ready to be done at the last aid station. Once we arrived at the finish, my Garmin was at 98.9 miles so I road around the parking lot to get the last mile in. I wasn't about to go all that way and not have 100 miles to show on it.

There are some pics of the day posted on my blog in anyone is interested. We had some great scenery.

Congrats to all the successes this past weekend!

I did that this weekend as well - only my ride was half of yours!

OK, how do you post pics on your blog?!?  I have tried EVERYTHING to get a pic posted. I got 1 to work a month ago, and not sure why that one worked and everything else I try doesn't.  I can get them into my album, but cannot post to the blog.  (the "use rich editor for blog is set to 'yes'")  Thanks for the help!

2011-06-15 1:16 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-06-14 9:40 PM Hello all! I've not been in for a couple of days and will have to check out the article and thread mentioned above. Quick report on the Century this weekend. I was really very pleased with how it went. Since my longest ride prior to this was 67 miles I really had no idea what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. There were some rough miles but for the most it went good and I feel like even though we didn't win any races (finished with a 13.1 mph average) we did finish strong and that's about the best I could ask for. Now for my current problem. I had been to the chiropractor Thursday before the race with a pain that felt like it was in my shoulder blade and radiated around to my chest. She said it was a rib that had moved and put back in place. With a day of icing things felt good on Saturday and although I worried a little about my ride Sunday I never had any pain...fast forward to this morning when I was curling my hair and boom it pops, I couldn't catch my breath and an the pain was pretty intense. Back to the chiro and yes it's worse then it was, she adjusted and put me on that electric thing and when I told her I had a tri this weekend she told me to come back tomorrow, and maybe Thursday....I'm not going to be a happy camper if I can't do this tri. Right now the pain is...well yea it's there... So that's 2 day no training...maybe tomorrow? I'm most worried about the bike because I think I have a habit of scrunching my shoulders forward, which is the problem. She said I really need to work on keeping my shoulders back...ok sorry about the rant...I know there is really nothing to do but wait and see how it goes...it's just this is the first time I've been faced with the possibility of not doing an event.

Glad the century went well!

I have never even heard of a rig getting out of place, let alone having anything to offer to help with it.  But I will agree with Steve that you should take it as easy as you can until your race and this wont set your fitness back.

Let us know how it goes with the treatment.  I am sorry you have to deal with this!
2011-06-15 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3549675

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-06-14 11:14 PM

Great job on finishing the century ride..

Here is a link to my race report..

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256657

I just read your report! Nice job Tim!
2011-06-15 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3549928

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Trout - 2011-06-15 6:38 AM

The Century was quite an experience!  It was certainly challenging and I often thought of the 112 mile IMAZ ride without all the stops but for the most part I thought it went well. The ride took us to places I have never seen before so that was great. My nutrition plan didn't work out so great. I did the two hour bottles of Infinit that Ken suggested but I didn't drink enough of it I don't think and then didn't drink the water I needed. I just wanted some solid food so started with pieces of Cliff bar and had a few animal crackers and some pretzels along the way. Cold water and pretzels were great at the 82 mile stop.  My back and shoulder were acting up pretty badly by the 82 mile stop and I spent some time lying in the grass trying to stretch things out. I haven't ridden much on my road bike this year so I am sure that was part of it. Overall it was a good day but I was ready to be done at the last aid station. Once we arrived at the finish, my Garmin was at 98.9 miles so I road around the parking lot to get the last mile in. I wasn't about to go all that way and not have 100 miles to show on it.

There are some pics of the day posted on my blog in anyone is interested. We had some great scenery.

I did that this weekend as well - only my ride was half of yours!

OK, how do you post pics on your blog?!?  I have tried EVERYTHING to get a pic posted. I got 1 to work a month ago, and not sure why that one worked and everything else I try doesn't.  I can get them into my album, but cannot post to the blog.  (the "use rich editor for blog is set to 'yes'")  Thanks for the help!

I meant my blog that is linked after my signature. I wish I could help you about posting pics on BT. I can ever get it to work either. And to try and post pics in the thread is almost impossible also as I don't know how to make them small enough to be accepted and still big enough to be viewed. Frustrating.

2011-06-15 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

I've got a question regarding what I should get/buy next.  I'm a new triathlete/cyclist so last year I started at square 1 in terms of gear.  I spent the necessary funds to at least complete a tri (and maybe a few extra dollars on some other convenience type things).

I'm starting my 2nd year of tri's - signed up to do 2 and will probably consider a 3rd.  Over the next few years I only plan to participate in sprints and olys, with a big maybe to a HIM.  Whenever I mention buying something I'd like/need to my wife, she'll say "let's wait until you do a few more tris."  (I think I can convince her if I put up a big enough argument/case)

So with all of that said, here are some of the items I do NOT have that I believe could help me become a bit faster.  Let me know what you feel is most important to consider getting next/first.

- wetsuit
- tri bike shoes
- new wheels/tires for road bike
- clip on aero bars for road bike
- any other upgrades for road bike
- tri bike
- tri specific run/race shoes
- anything else?

2011-06-15 2:07 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

That is the tough part about infinit for some folks.  Not having the solid food to offer a little more substance is not always easy.  Plus I think it takes some time to get used to it. 

You use a speed fill which mounts between the frame rails and has a long straw that basically is near your face.  I use this for water which makes it easy to just sip on it. 

Great job on the century!
2011-06-15 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

Hey Folks,

Sorry about being absent during all the fun in last few weeks.

Family got a great Dane puppy 2 weeks ago.  I forgot what puppy-dom was like!  Anyway she is settling down, somewhat!  Now 14 weeks old.

Also, been have headaches & light-headedness.  Had a CT scan of my head & no brain tumor!  Not sure what it is, but will probably just get better, so I get back to training again.

Gotta try & catch up on some of the race reports.

Gotta say, I not really in race mode.  Hopefully, soon.  I have a Conference/convention in Montreal next week & we have a 5k race/walk fundraiser.  Maybe this will get some fire under my butt!

R

PS...little pic for anyone interested...

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-06-15 2:21 PM

(photo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
photo.jpg (72KB - 13 downloads)
2011-06-15 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3550840

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-15 2:38 PM

I've got a question regarding what I should get/buy next.  I'm a new triathlete/cyclist so last year I started at square 1 in terms of gear.  I spent the necessary funds to at least complete a tri (and maybe a few extra dollars on some other convenience type things).

I'm starting my 2nd year of tri's - signed up to do 2 and will probably consider a 3rd.  Over the next few years I only plan to participate in sprints and olys, with a big maybe to a HIM.  Whenever I mention buying something I'd like/need to my wife, she'll say "let's wait until you do a few more tris."  (I think I can convince her if I put up a big enough argument/case)

So with all of that said, here are some of the items I do NOT have that I believe could help me become a bit faster.  Let me know what you feel is most important to consider getting next/first.

- wetsuit
- tri bike shoes
- tri bike
- anything else?

I highlighted the 2 I would focus on first.  I would want my own wetsuit, plus after a couple of rentals you are getting into about the same cost of a good entry level suit.

The bolt on aero bars are a good low cost way to get a more aerodynamic position without spending the dough on a tri bike. 

As a runner first, you would have more knowledge on how much benefit racing flats would give you.  I did, however just buy a pair of the K Swiss Kwicky Blade Lights.  Designed for racing without socks, so that helped my T2 time.  Not sure if I am running faster at all, but I think they have helped some.
2011-06-15 2:42 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

That's one seriously cute dog.

Look at the size of those paws!!! She's gonna be huge. Guess that's taken for granted with a GD.

2011-06-15 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3550840

User image

Veteran
Georgia

- wetsuit
- tri bike shoes
- tri bike
- anything else?

Trout

The tri bike shoes help me in t1 with the one velcro strap, I also bought racing flats this year for my races which like Ken helps in T2. Definitely look at getting a wetsuit if the tri events you are doing are wetsuit legal this helps a lot. That's my two cents hope it helps.

2011-06-15 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Kenj

What HIM plan should I do, my HIM is in September and I will do a couple more Oly before then as B-C races(using them as part of training) I was thinking of the Olympic to HIM bridge that is 12 weeks long.. This will be my first HIM.. Thanks for the help..Others opinions welcomed.

2011-06-15 3:18 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Trout do you have elastic laces for for your running shoes?

So far this has been my best investment in terms of bang-for-the-buck.

2011-06-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3550959

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-06-15 3:19 PM

Hey Folks,

Family got a great Dane puppy 2 weeks ago.  I forgot what puppy-dom was like!  Anyway she is settling down, somewhat!  Now 14 weeks old.

Also, been have headaches & light-headedness.  Had a CT scan of my head & no brain tumor!  Not sure what it is, but will probably just get better, so I get back to training again.

Gotta say, I not really in race mode.  Hopefully, soon.  I have a Conference/convention in Montreal next week & we have a 5k race/walk fundraiser.  Maybe this will get some fire under my butt!

R

Glad to hear it wasn't a tumor or anything, but it still has to be a little concerning not knowing!

Cute pup!  I am getting a chocolate lab for Fathers Day/birthday this weekend from my daughter (she doesn't know I know )so I may be in the same boat as it has been a long time since we had a pup around! So if I disappear, either it has gotten the best of me or the wife has killed me for asking for one! Surprised

Enjoy the new new family addition Richard!  I hope the 5K gets you back in the racing spirit as well!
2011-06-15 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3550959

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
GoGoGo - 2011-06-15 1:19 PM

Hey Folks,

R

I know exactly what you are going though. Mine is now six months old.  Your pup is adorable!  Glad to hear there is no brain tumor!

2011-06-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3550994

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
kenj - 2011-06-15 1:34 PM

- wetsuit
- tri bike shoes
- tri bike
- anything else?

I highlighted the 2 I would focus on first.  I would want my own wetsuit, plus after a couple of rentals you are getting into about the same cost of a good entry level suit.

The bolt on aero bars are a good low cost way to get a more aerodynamic position without spending the dough on a tri bike. 

As a runner first, you would have more knowledge on how much benefit racing flats would give you.  I did, however just buy a pair of the K Swiss Kwicky Blade Lights.  Designed for racing without socks, so that helped my T2 time.  Not sure if I am running faster at all, but I think they have helped some.

I agree with Ken. Wetsuit and clip on aero bars.

2011-06-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3551097

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-06-15 4:15 PM

Kenj

What HIM plan should I do, my HIM is in September and I will do a couple more Oly before then as B-C races(using them as part of training) I was thinking of the Olympic to HIM bridge that is 12 weeks long.. This will be my first HIM.. Thanks for the help..Others opinions welcomed.

With your silver membership level you should try the plan generator, I beleive that it is available to that membership level.  It allows you to set how many swim/bike/run sessions you have a week and on what days to put the different workouts.  For instance if you have Saturdays and Tuesdays available for longer workouts you can put them on those days instead of the default Sat/Sun that most programs have.  It asks how many weeks between recovery weeks. 

If you try it and don't like it, you can always start over and write over it or just add the oly to HIM program you have mentioned!  Let me know if you try it what you think of it. 
2011-06-15 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3551094

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
shake-n-bake - 2011-06-15 4:13 PM

- wetsuit
- tri bike shoes
- tri bike
- anything else?

Trout

The tri bike shoes help me in t1 with the one velcro strap, I also bought racing flats this year for my races which like Ken helps in T2. Definitely look at getting a wetsuit if the tri events you are doing are wetsuit legal this helps a lot. That's my two cents hope it helps.

Tri bike shoes are very close to the top of the list for me based on the reasons you stated - a faster T1 and easier T2.

A wetsuit is nearly a necessity based on my locale where water temps are cold for the early season tri's.  I could probably go all year with wetsuit legal races here in northwest PA.

2011-06-15 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3551101

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
marvintpa - 2011-06-15 4:18 PM

Trout do you have elastic laces for for your running shoes?

So far this has been my best investment in terms of bang-for-the-buck.

Got 'em!  Definitely a bonus.

2011-06-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3548933

User image

Regular
Maryland
kenj - 2011-06-14 2:47 PM
Trout - 2011-06-14 3:13 PM

Good article on the argument for indoor bike training.  I plan to get myself some Spinerval DVDs for the fall/winter training.

It is a good article. 
I have several of the spinerval dvd's.  I really like the 3 set, I think they are 30, 31 and 32.  I think Robin or Keri (where have they been?) mentioned that there are cheaper alternatives on line too. 

I know I like riding outside when the weather is nice, and when it comes to hill climbs, and the strength gained, nothing replaces the outside.  As mentioned, the outside is where you gain handling skills and confidence as well.  But as a far as increasing your cycling intensity, the trainer with a solid workout plan is as good as any interval ride outside in my opinion.  A lot of people put the bike up for the winter, but doing so is a lost oportunity to improve the bike on the trainer when you don't have the weather for regular outside rides.    

Question:  How is riding your own bike on a trainer different from riding a stationary bike at the gym?  What are the pros/cons of each?

2011-06-16 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Wetsuit, aerobars.  I like my quick ties too.   

IM training is getting serious less than 3 months out.  Lots of hours, speed work.  All good.  Eating more and losing weight, mostly trimming down a bit.  Stronger.   Focusing on eating before, during and after longer workouts.  Getting better workouts as a result.   Tired, trying to sleep more.  All good. 

2011-06-16 8:38 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

julta - 2011-06-14 8:40 PM Hello all! I've not been in for a couple of days and will have to check out the article and thread mentioned above. Quick report on the Century this weekend. I was really very pleased with how it went. Since my longest ride prior to this was 67 miles I really had no idea what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. There were some rough miles but for the most it went good and I feel like even though we didn't win any races (finished with a 13.1 mph average) we did finish strong and that's about the best I could ask for. Now for my current problem. I had been to the chiropractor Thursday before the race with a pain that felt like it was in my shoulder blade and radiated around to my chest. She said it was a rib that had moved and put back in place. With a day of icing things felt good on Saturday and although I worried a little about my ride Sunday I never had any pain...fast forward to this morning when I was curling my hair and boom it pops, I couldn't catch my breath and an the pain was pretty intense. Back to the chiro and yes it's worse then it was, she adjusted and put me on that electric thing and when I told her I had a tri this weekend she told me to come back tomorrow, and maybe Thursday....I'm not going to be a happy camper if I can't do this tri. Right now the pain is...well yea it's there... So that's 2 day no training...maybe tomorrow? I'm most worried about the bike because I think I have a habit of scrunching my shoulders forward, which is the problem. She said I really need to work on keeping my shoulders back...ok sorry about the rant...I know there is really nothing to do but wait and see how it goes...it's just this is the first time I've been faced with the possibility of not doing an event.

Julie,

Nice work on the century.

I third the opinion that you should take it easy.  Don't sweat not training for 2 days.  Not that I'm an expert - far from it, but it sounds like your body needs you to rest.  You will be stronger for it when your tri comes around.

2011-06-16 8:40 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland
Kath2163 - 2011-06-14 11:32 PM

Kathleen, just looked at the photos from your century.  Nice work!  You're lucky to be in such beautiful country.  Looks like it was a gorgeous day.

2011-06-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3552001

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-06-16 9:28 AM
kenj - 2011-06-14 2:47 PM
Trout - 2011-06-14 3:13 PM

Good article on the argument for indoor bike training.  I plan to get myself some Spinerval DVDs for the fall/winter training.

It is a good article. 
I have several of the spinerval dvd's.  I really like the 3 set, I think they are 30, 31 and 32.  I think Robin or Keri (where have they been?) mentioned that there are cheaper alternatives on line too. 

I know I like riding outside when the weather is nice, and when it comes to hill climbs, and the strength gained, nothing replaces the outside.  As mentioned, the outside is where you gain handling skills and confidence as well.  But as a far as increasing your cycling intensity, the trainer with a solid workout plan is as good as any interval ride outside in my opinion.  A lot of people put the bike up for the winter, but doing so is a lost oportunity to improve the bike on the trainer when you don't have the weather for regular outside rides.    

Question:  How is riding your own bike on a trainer different from riding a stationary bike at the gym?  What are the pros/cons of each?

The biggest thing is the fit of your bike is more than likely going to be different from a stationary or spin bike.  This would include seat height, handle bar height and distance from the seat.  The angle of the seat post will also be different.

You may think, as I once did that pedalling is pedalling and if you do enough of it you are race ready regardless of how and on what bike.  I found out the hard way last year as I did the bulk of my training on my road bike and when I raced the HIM I was on my tri bike.  Besides being slower, on the bike it had a negative impact on my run as I dealt with leg pains almost the whole run (which turned into mostly a walk.)

17 weeks later, after focusing on training the bike I was going to race I did the IM with a faster MPH on the bike and a solid run without any walking aside from the aid stations. 

You can supplement your biking with gym work on spin bikes and classes and it will help your cycling.  But it does not replace good training on your own bike!
2011-06-16 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3552013

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-06-16 9:35 AM

Wetsuit, aerobars.  I like my quick ties too.   

IM training is getting serious less than 3 months out.  Lots of hours, speed work.  All good.  Eating more and losing weight, mostly trimming down a bit.  Stronger.   Focusing on eating before, during and after longer workouts.  Getting better workouts as a result.   Tired, trying to sleep more.  All good. 

IM training is fun, but a definate balancing act!  Tough to get the training hours in, then you also have to deal with work, nutrition and an attempt to get enough rest! 

You are doing great!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72