BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-10-12 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3712912

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
lmscozz - 2011-10-06 7:55 AM
mackjenn - 2011-10-05 11:17 AM

OK Mentors and experts - question on Ironman and recovery.  I'm about 70% convinced I will do Ironman St. George in May 2012 (May 5, 2012).  I was just selected in the Escape from Alcatraz tri last night and this race is June 10, 2012.

Would the 5 or so weeks between events be enough to recover from a full iron race and then compete again?

Goal for the Ironman is to finish (would like to be around 13-15 hours).  Goal for Alcatraz is sub-3 hours (did it this summer in 3:22).

Thoughts???

First off, congrats on getting selected for Alcatraz. And, belated congrats on your 5K. You can't judge your performance by who else shows up at a race and places...you can only judge your own performance by how you felt, how much you had to give and did you give it and if you want, to compare it to last year or a previous go 'round at the same race in the same venue. I'd go with you improved your time.

As far as IM. You won't know how you feel post IM until you're in the throes of it. Sure, its very possible to do the Alcatraz 5 weeks after an IM, but you won't be training for it per se. YOu'll probably be going on residual fitness. You'll likely need to take some serious recovery time...and by serious, I mean no real training, just recovery rides, swims and easier runs. You'll want to stay active, but the intensity will be dialed down significantly from how you were training pre-IM. From my experience, I think I probably ran a bit too soon following  my IM this year but was fortunate and did not get injured. Getting injured is the concern about coming back to quickly or intensely. There are several articles and "expert" opinions out there on what to do after an IM (for us amateurs) so you can find all kinds of opinions. Pros live in a whole other universe and can do an IM and then a month or two later do another. My 2-cents.

^^^ x2 lady knows her stuff.

Both? Absolutely doable. But Alcatraz will probably be more of a participation/fun tri/experience to be at such a cool venue and race. St. George is no joke. It's not going to get out of your legs for a while.

Take the recovery seriously, and by that I mean not seriously at all, then see how you go in Alcatraz and be willing to back off during the race. I wouldn't have a time goal you're pushing for.

2011-10-12 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Melon Presser

Hey Speedy Manatees!

Lynn, thanks so much for holding the fort down and to everyone for posting in here, and also to those who came by my blog.

I've been around BT off and on the last couple weeks, not posting too much (for me) ... was very ill with dengue fever and typhoid fever at the same time.

Much better now! So much better I'm starting to overdo it!

(Oh crap ... here comes Lynn with the paddle ... or a giant flipper THWACK)

2011-10-13 11:49 AM

User image

Seattle
Glad you are feeling better Yanti!!!! 
2011-10-13 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3722649

User image

Melon Presser

Asalzwed - 2011-10-14 1:49 AM Glad you are feeling better Yanti!!!! 

I think you should get yourself into some shenanigans on my behalf until I'm ready to rock it myself.

2011-10-13 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3722654

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-10-13 11:51 AM

Asalzwed - 2011-10-14 1:49 AM Glad you are feeling better Yanti!!!! 

I think you should get yourself into some shenanigans on my behalf until I'm ready to rock it myself.

I am working on it! I am going to have to occupy myself with SOMETHING shenanigan-y once my marathon is over Smile

2011-10-13 3:56 PM

User image

Seattle

I have a few questions for you guys and any/all feedback is welcome!

1. Spinning Class: How much do you think it helps with real biking? Do you think adding in a spin class once a week will take away from my marathon training or add to it (in terms of building fitness.) I went to class yesterday and it kicked my @$$, in a good way. But, I don't want to waste my energy on something that takes away from my marathon performance rather than add to it. 

2. Socks in the Rain: I live in Seattle and it is extremely likely that it will be raining for the marathon. What should I do about socks? I can run a 5-10k without socks but have not tried going any further. I have also run in wet socks and while it is far from ideal, I didn't get blisters or anything. I guess I was thinking more in terms of additional weight to be lugging around for 26.2 miles. I know it's minimal but it is also the difference in weight between a training shoe and a racing flat...

2011-10-13 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3723158

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-10-14 5:56 AM

I have a few questions for you guys and any/all feedback is welcome!

1. Spinning Class: How much do you think it helps with real biking? Do you think adding in a spin class once a week will take away from my marathon training or add to it (in terms of building fitness.) I went to class yesterday and it kicked my @$$, in a good way. But, I don't want to waste my energy on something that takes away from my marathon performance rather than add to it. 

2. Socks in the Rain: I live in Seattle and it is extremely likely that it will be raining for the marathon. What should I do about socks? I can run a 5-10k without socks but have not tried going any further. I have also run in wet socks and while it is far from ideal, I didn't get blisters or anything. I guess I was thinking more in terms of additional weight to be lugging around for 26.2 miles. I know it's minimal but it is also the difference in weight between a training shoe and a racing flat...

1. It can help a lot with real biking if you treat it like real biking. (Golden Rule: if you wouldn't do it outside on your road bike, don't do it on an indoor cycle). It's not going to help much with your marathon, but it's good cross-training if that's what you want. Keep it easy enough so you're fresh for your next run.

2. Not enough time to train for sockless. I've always treated marathons as if it might rain. I waterproof my shoes with boat sealant . Lube well, use ultra thin socks.

2011-10-13 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

GREAT NEWS IN COLORADO!!!  HITS Triathlon Series just announced a tri weekend in Fort Collins late July.  Not too big considering all the triathlons in Colorado; however, it is bringing a full iron distance race which is something we have had for several years.

Guess the decision will become easy now:  No St. George, Yes Escape from Alcatraz, and YES to HITS Iron distance!!  (HITS is $125 cheaper too - not bad).

And yep - I complete it and I will still consider an Ironman tat (iron distance is iron distance regardless of the race owner).

2011-10-13 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3723206

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-10-14 6:24 AM

GREAT NEWS IN COLORADO!!!  HITS Triathlon Series just announced a tri weekend in Fort Collins late July.  Not too big considering all the triathlons in Colorado; however, it is bringing a full iron distance race which is something we have had for several years.

Guess the decision will become easy now:  No St. George, Yes Escape from Alcatraz, and YES to HITS Iron distance!!  (HITS is $125 cheaper too - not bad).

And yep - I complete it and I will still consider an Ironman tat (iron distance is iron distance regardless of the race owner).

SO sweet! I remember how excited I was when Ironman Melbourne opened up ... good for you!

I agree. You do an iron race, you're an Ironman. Period.

2011-10-14 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3723206

User image

Seattle
mackjenn - 2011-10-13 4:24 PM

Awesome!!!! Don't you love it when stuff works out like that!

2011-10-21 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3724283

User image

Okay, so I'm more of a listener than a poster, I guess. Haven't written in a while but I do follow with interest. Got my Olympic tomorrow morning. Feel pretty good overall.I was kinda counting on the extra float from the suit, not that I strictly need it but more for the psychological benefit. But after trying it on, it doesn't fit. Can't get it zipped and even unzipped I feel like it is constricting my breathing. Will try once more tonight. A buddy gave me a shirt like the kind kayakers wear. It's got a bit of neoprene that may help with temps and add a little float. Here's hoping both that it works and that it's legal to wear.Otherwise, I think it's a go. Quick, somebody say something wise/motivational/etc. Either way, I'll post in the next couple days to say how it went.

2011-10-22 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3733175

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Go! Go! Go! I hope you have a great race. Let us know how it went.

Also,...just fYI -- I haven't been getting all the notifications of these posts so sorry if I've missed something.

2011-10-23 5:52 PM

Hi Guys:

Hope you are all well. As I told Lynn earlier I kinda fell off the exercise wagon and am just getting back on track. I have been following all the posts through email but have not been on site for awhile. Love hearing how great you are all doing.

I have been reading about all of your great goals and realize I need a new goal. I am looking at a race in MD for next year that my neighbor mentioned signing up for. It's a half IM so It is still just a thought. I cant believe it even crossed my mind but then again last year I would not have said any triathlon would have been in my reach.

I also forgot to post my race report from July. It's been sitting in draft mode all this time. Ooops.I added a few pics too. Crazy - great - addicting - feeling. As you of couse all know.

If any of you are interested I think this is the link: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=272426

Warm regards From NJ

Grainne

2011-10-24 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3735141

User image

Seattle
Grainne Wynne - 2011-10-23 5:52 PM

Hi Guys:

Hope you are all well. As I told Lynn earlier I kinda fell off the exercise wagon and am just getting back on track. I have been following all the posts through email but have not been on site for awhile. Love hearing how great you are all doing.

I have been reading about all of your great goals and realize I need a new goal. I am looking at a race in MD for next year that my neighbor mentioned signing up for. It's a half IM so It is still just a thought. I cant believe it even crossed my mind but then again last year I would not have said any triathlon would have been in my reach.

I also forgot to post my race report from July. It's been sitting in draft mode all this time. Ooops.I added a few pics too. Crazy - great - addicting - feeling. As you of couse all know.

If any of you are interested I think this is the link: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=272426

Warm regards From NJ

Grainne

I find it is extremely helpful to stay on the bandwagon when you have a goal! Good luck picking something that keeps you motivated! I will check out your race report Smile

2011-10-24 12:14 PM

User image

Seattle

Yanti, your picture creeps me the eff out!!!!!!!!

Also, I got a huge PR this weekend. I shaved  a minute and a half off of my 5K time in just over a month. If you were ever wondering how to become a faster runner, simply run more. Seriously. It is that simple.  I can't believe it. 

2011-10-25 1:02 AM

User image

Yeah, okay, so the good news is that it's over and I didn't die and didn't DNF, but I came mighty close to DFL.  That ends the good news.

I actually felt pretty prepared going in, but... somehow or other (and I think that there's only so much that can be blamed on the wetsuit, though reality in no way will keep me from trying to place most blame on the wetsuit) I found myself pretty much unable to breath during the swim.  Absolutely disastrous swim.  EVERYONE who was doing any worse than me in the swim dropped out; it was that bad.  Wave start is the only reason I wasn't the last swimmer in the water.  Sheer stubbornness is all that kept me from saying to heck with the whole thing.  As a side effect, swimming badly uses up A LOT more energy than swimming well, so it cascades into ever-worsening times for my better sports.

I've read about such things (race day/OWS anxiety) on these very forums, but will now have to go find out more.  Oh well.

On the upside, if I improve my swim (by actually swimming the course instead of whatever that was that I was doing out there), my other times will put me solidly at the back of the middle of the pack.  (How far back can the middle be said to go?)  So there's that.

On the way to the race, I had no idea if I'd do more triathlons.  Figured: been there, done that, I guess.  But, have you ever done something so badly that you never wanted to do it again?  Then, have you ever done anything even worse, so badly that you HAD to do it again, just to redeem yourself?  Looks like my triathlon career can't end yet.

Funny thing, the number keys all seem to be broken at the moment so I can't say just how long that whole thing took.  Bummer; I was hoping to share. Sealed

Also...

I expect that the Summer Mentor Program must be winding down pretty soon, so I'll take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to our head Manatees and to all the rest of you whose input and encouragement was more helpful than you know.

2011-10-26 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3736834

User image

Seattle
Lag - 2011-10-25 1:02 AM

Yeah, okay, so the good news is that it's over and I didn't die and didn't DNF, but I came mighty close to DFL.  That ends the good news.

I actually felt pretty prepared going in, but... somehow or other (and I think that there's only so much that can be blamed on the wetsuit, though reality in no way will keep me from trying to place most blame on the wetsuit) I found myself pretty much unable to breath during the swim.  Absolutely disastrous swim.  EVERYONE who was doing any worse than me in the swim dropped out; it was that bad.  Wave start is the only reason I wasn't the last swimmer in the water.  Sheer stubbornness is all that kept me from saying to heck with the whole thing.  As a side effect, swimming badly uses up A LOT more energy than swimming well, so it cascades into ever-worsening times for my better sports.

I've read about such things (race day/OWS anxiety) on these very forums, but will now have to go find out more.  Oh well.

On the upside, if I improve my swim (by actually swimming the course instead of whatever that was that I was doing out there), my other times will put me solidly at the back of the middle of the pack.  (How far back can the middle be said to go?)  So there's that.

On the way to the race, I had no idea if I'd do more triathlons.  Figured: been there, done that, I guess.  But, have you ever done something so badly that you never wanted to do it again?  Then, have you ever done anything even worse, so badly that you HAD to do it again, just to redeem yourself?  Looks like my triathlon career can't end yet.

Funny thing, the number keys all seem to be broken at the moment so I can't say just how long that whole thing took.  Bummer; I was hoping to share. Sealed

Also...

I expect that the Summer Mentor Program must be winding down pretty soon, so I'll take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to our head Manatees and to all the rest of you whose input and encouragement was more helpful than you know.

That IS the question hahaha! 

I think most of us have been there (in regard to a panicky open water swim.) I say just get back in there and give it another shot. At some point, it HAS to get better.  Great job sticking it out and finishing the race!!

2011-10-26 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Lag - 2011-10-25 12:02 AM

Also...

Congrats on finishing - you did great regardless of the time.  I know well about the OWS stuff and it is just like all the other items when racing:  NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!!!   The first OWS I took was a huge learning experience and I hate the  thought of trying to do that on race day.  One downside for me was that the water was 51F, so learning about cold water was huge.  Then swimming in a wetsuit (I had actually done it in a pool first, but not open water) - it is different and depending on the suit, has an impact.  I will say - I have a TYR top of the line and it is like a second skin for me and does not bind in any way - or affect my stroke.  I did have a cheaper one that gave me difficulty and make it difficult to breath.

You HAVE to do it again, but if the swim causes concern - try to find a local one that uses a pool time trial start.  My very first one was that way and it took the entire OWS experience out of the picture.  My 2nd had the swim cancelled, so my 3rd Tri was the escape from alcatraz.  By then I had practiced OWS and due to the start method, it was not that difficult.  The surprise for me was my 4th - Boulder sprint - which was mass start.  I ended up in the front at the start and was basically run over and had breating issues (panic I'm sure), but I did it again.  My 5th was better and I started in the back of the pack but enjoyed passing othes and kept the body contact down some.

If you want hints on OWS practice - check out cliff bar Open Water Swim training video - a good laugh but not far from the truth.

Again - CONGRATS and this is not how you want to stop your Tri experience.  Must do it again.

2011-10-26 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Lag - 2011-10-24 11:02 PM

Also...

Gotta second the opinions of my fellow Manatees -- gotta do another tri -- the swim does get less anxiety-producing. Persistence and perserverance are on your side and you demonstrated that. Congratulations!!  Great way to end the season.

2011-10-26 6:53 PM

User image

Seattle
Through some super low tech investigative work I have deducted it is Lynn's birthday today! Happy Birthday Lynn!!!!!! Sealed
2011-10-28 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3739601

User image

Veteran
Austin
lmscozz - 2011-10-26 5:54 PM
Lag - 2011-10-24 11:02 PM

Also...

Gotta second the opinions of my fellow Manatees -- gotta do another tri -- the swim does get less anxiety-producing. Persistence and perserverance are on your side and you demonstrated that. Congratulations!!  Great way to end the season.

I also freaked out on my first swim.  I had done an OWS, but the experience of doing it with other people was not something I was mentally prepared for.  I read lots of post on swimming before doing my second tri.  I stayed way off to the side and avoided everyone for my second tri and had zero problems with panic.  It was a night and day type of experience.  Good luck next time!!

2011-10-28 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3739665

User image

Veteran
Austin

Asalzwed - 2011-10-26 6:53 PM Through some super low tech investigative work I have deducted it is Lynn's birthday today! Happy Birthday Lynn!!!!!! Sealed

Happy late birthday Lynn!

2011-10-28 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3735908

User image

Veteran
Austin
Asalzwed - 2011-10-24 12:14 PM

Also, I got a huge PR this weekend. I shaved  a minute and a half off of my 5K time in just over a month. If you were ever wondering how to become a faster runner, simply run more. Seriously. It is that simple.  I can't believe it. 

You modest little thing you :

00:20:45 | 03.1099999 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group:1/300
Overall:2/1200

Congrats on your race!  Can't wait to see how your marathon goes.

2011-10-31 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3742961

User image

Seattle
lounav - 2011-10-28 5:34 PM

HAHA! You are very sweet! Thanks! Yeah, I am very curious to see how this marathon goes! The anticipation is nearly killing me. 

2011-10-31 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3745600

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-11-01 1:48 AM
lounav - 2011-10-28 5:34 PM

HAHA! You are very sweet! Thanks! Yeah, I am very curious to see how this marathon goes! The anticipation is nearly killing me. 

Yes, you are horrifying, sickeningly (using halloween words here) AWESOMELY fast

What's your marathon execution (race) plan? pacing, nutrition, hydration, etc ... damn, it's November here already ...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43