BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3588226

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Good luck Randy!! can't wait to hear about it

I went to an open water swim clinic today, sooo glad I did!! It really helped 'teach' me how to swim in a lake. I now feel confident about swimming in murky water, and hope to get in a couple extra lake swims before race day.

I'm not sure if a light came on, or what, but I'm really feeling good about my training right now. I know I could do more, well, if I didn't have a kiddo to tend to. But I really feel more prepared this time. Here are some of my personal goals for the race:

Swim - top 3, if not first

Bike - 17-18 mph pace

Run - #1, run the whole thing, #2 Sub12 min/mile pace

I'm not aiming for time because this race is longer than my first, and it will be about 20 degrees hotter than last time.  Now to make sticky notes and look at them all day

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

2011-07-10 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3589023

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
khharms - 2011-07-10 12:08 PM

Good luck Randy!! can't wait to hear about it

I went to an open water swim clinic today, sooo glad I did!! It really helped 'teach' me how to swim in a lake. I now feel confident about swimming in murky water, and hope to get in a couple extra lake swims before race day.

I'm not sure if a light came on, or what, but I'm really feeling good about my training right now. I know I could do more, well, if I didn't have a kiddo to tend to. But I really feel more prepared this time. Here are some of my personal goals for the race:

Swim - top 3, if not first

Bike - 17-18 mph pace

Run - #1, run the whole thing, #2 Sub12 min/mile pace

I'm not aiming for time because this race is longer than my first, and it will be about 20 degrees hotter than last time.  Now to make sticky notes and look at them all day

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Those look like some good goals!  Can't wait to hear how you do!

Christy

2011-07-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey folks-A little dissappointed in my race today.  Decent swim and bike but brutal run.  Ended up walking about 3/4 mile on the run.  Just was not my day but my expectations may have been a little high given the heat.. Time was 2:35 and I thought I would be under 2:30.  Bike is 42k rather than the typical 40k for most olympic distance.  Not sure if I overtrained, was just not strong mentally, or maybe it was just the heat.  Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement.

Hey, can't complain.  49 today and I'm at least able to do this.  Looking forward to a quiet afternoon, a few adult beverages and some rest. Oh, and some cheesecake tonight!!! 

Watching USA women's world cup game....WOW!!! Penalty kicks after a last minute goal by USA!

Randy  
2011-07-10 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Randy, I know you're disappointed, but 2:35 is awesome! Especially given that you walked a bit. Still impressive to me. Can't wait to read the report.

Karla - Wow! You're speedy! Go get 'em!  Now, can you share some tips from the swim clinic you attended? 

2011-07-11 6:18 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning-feeling a little better about my race yesterday.  After looking at the results of other "known" racers it looks like most folks were 6-8 minutes slower at Chattanooga as compared to my last olympic distance the Peachtree Tri.  Talked to a guy after yesterday's race I met at Peachtree that finished 2nd in 50-54 in that race and had a 44 min run.  Yesterday he was a couple of minutes behind me and ran 53.  Also, there was a thread on Slowtwitch about the heat and dissappointing results at Chattanooga.  All this makes me feel that it was a combination of the brutal and maybe just not having a great day than an overtraining issue.

Going to take it easy for a week or two and then map out a plan for a couple of Fall races.  Traveling home from Chattanooga today.  Have a good day folks.

Randy
2011-07-11 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3589834

User image

Master
Baltimore

slornow - 2011-07-11 7:18 AM Good morning-feeling a little better about my race yesterday.  After looking at the results of other "known" racers it looks like most folks were 6-8 minutes slower at Chattanooga as compared to my last olympic distance the Peachtree Tri.  Talked to a guy after yesterday's race I met at Peachtree that finished 2nd in 50-54 in that race and had a 44 min run.  Yesterday he was a couple of minutes behind me and ran 53.  Also, there was a thread on Slowtwitch about the heat and dissappointing results at Chattanooga.  All this makes me feel that it was a combination of the brutal and maybe just not having a great day than an overtraining issue.

Going to take it easy for a week or two and then map out a plan for a couple of Fall races.  Traveling home from Chattanooga today.  Have a good day folks.

Randy

Congrats on the race Randy!  It's not much consolation, but I'm glad that this wasn't too big a let down and you still did reallywell considering the conditions.  I find it is so tough to set goals when variablility between races and between the people who show up at races is so great.  So much of your performance is "it depends".  Good luck planning the next batch of races, I always enjoyed that part.

2011-07-11 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3589697

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
nmladic - 2011-07-10 10:04 PM

Karla - Wow! You're speedy! Go get 'em!  Now, can you share some tips from the swim clinic you attended? 

I'm trying to think of something I actually 'learned'!

Here's what we did:

First, we swam out to our desired buoy and back. Nothing fancy, just to get a feel for the lake water, and what it's like. The second drill we did some sighting exercise. Basically, we were to take 4 strokes, look up, then breath to the side (or however you feel comfortable breathing). The third drill we did a mass start. We were told to sprint for about 15 strokes, then go in to a race pace, so you learn how to break from the group, or what it feels like for people to trample over you! On the way back, near the end, we were to sprint again to the finish and go to the shore where people were there to pull us out of the water (they do this at the race too - they have big strong men in the water to help pull you out.)

One thing she mentioned that may be helpful -

There is a swim drill called 'Catch Up' Basically, you swim freestyle, but instead of a continuous movement, you 'tag' your hand in front of you. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si6VeAfluQ) This video is kind of exaggerated to show the technique, but you get the idea. She said to use this in your race to avoid getting kicked in the face, and also so you can feel in front of you. I thought that was kind of interesting, and never would have thought of that.

She really stressed sighting. I don't know if maybe I just caught on to it, but the other girls were all over the place. Instead of me using some landmark to focus on, I used the buoy itself. I was able to swim out straight. now... coming back was a different story! I tried to use people as my sight point, but they kept moving around, LOL! On race day I'll simply use the start canopy (they use one of those finish line blow up things - pardon my lack of terminology, the name isn't coming to me right now!)

That's really it. My strategy is simple: I WILL be in the front! After this clinic is really gave me an idea of who thinks they are strong swimmers. Not to get a big ego, but I led the pack for every drill. During the mass start, sure, we trampled over each other, but I was able to pull out ahead and stay there. I think this really gave me a ton of confidence, and also a reminder not to hold back. I have to shine in my event, too bad it's first, lol!

2011-07-11 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

Trying to catch up one with everyone after being away from the site for a few days.

@Joe: I am sorry to hear about your medical situation. I hope that you get the medical help you need, and a speedy recovery. You will be in my thoughts...

@Randy: Misery loves company. I have a pretty disappointing race also. Essentially, I had a similar race to my last event (same course, nearly same conditions, except the waves were bigger for the ocean swim). This time I was < 1 minute slower, even with some problems in T2 (my anchor tie, on the front of my shoe for my Yankz elastic laces broke). Leading up to the race I just felt mentally out of it, I wasn't excited at all. Part of this I am sure is to do with my hectic personal life I have been dealing with the last few weeks. Regardless, I am kind of glad I didn't hit my goal of 1:10:xx for the Sprint. I am much more motivated, and I am not going to get into a 'funk' after this past race. I know what I need to work on, and improve for my Oly (August 28), and my HIM (Sept. 25).

Anyways, if I get a chance I will post a race report. Nothing to spectacular, except I was pretty happy that I made it out of the water with the lead pack. I love swimming, especially when I am in the front (haha), was surprised I made it out as quickly as I did, given that it was shallow and the waves were breaking pretty heavy leading out.

Nutrition wise: I have to figure this out. I had such bad GI distress (Again!) on the run this time. My run time was 27:00 for a 5k. No bueno for me. I was just happy I didn't walk, because that is really all I wanted to do. The heat is just oppressive down here the last few weeks.

Anywho, I had a question for the bike-tech-people here. Anyone use a cadence meter on their bike? I am interested in getting one for my bike (since I hear so much about keeping my cadence between 85-95), however I am not sure if I want to get the cadence meter for my 310xt (Garmin) or just get a separate bike computer. Any input?

2011-07-12 8:51 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX

Hey, all! I have been in a funk about training since we cancelled our July tri. Not sure what to do next. I am thinking about trying a HM in Dec. but really need to schedule another couple of tris to get my motivation back. Took my first ever bike fall on Sunday and got back up. Some bruising, but I'm alive!

@Randy- congrats on your race. I can only imagine how hard it was and your time is awesome as far as this newbie is concerned.

@Joe- so sorry about your medical, but glad you have most of it figured out! Keep your spirits up!

2011-07-12 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3591884

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Savage8778 - 2011-07-11 10:48 PM

Anywho, I had a question for the bike-tech-people here. Anyone use a cadence meter on their bike? I am interested in getting one for my bike (since I hear so much about keeping my cadence between 85-95), however I am not sure if I want to get the cadence meter for my 310xt (Garmin) or just get a separate bike computer. Any input?

Nick - Don't be disappointed! What's 1 minute, really in the grand scheme of things? You gave it your best effort. Not every race can be a PR. Good idea to use the learnings to fuel your upcoming races. (God, I am such a soccer mom sometimes.)

Re: your bike question: I have a simple bike computer on my road bike that calculates distance, time, RPM, average speed and average watts.  It looks kind of like this but it's about 10 years old: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bike+computer+wireless&hl=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=1&biw=1280&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1136389315889180221&sa=X&ei=clUcTsmDL6b-sQKtxbTRCA&ved=0CKIBEPMCMAA 

They have fancier Garmin ones with satellite link-up but the one I have works well and I find it very useful/helpful when I'm outdoors.

One note though, if you get one that sits on your handlebars, and you have to flip your bike over for any reason, TAKE THE COMPUTER OFF THE BIKE before flipping over. I left mine on this weekend when I stopped to inspect my breaks mid-ride and totally scratched up the face of mine. D'oh! Lesson learned!

2011-07-12 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3591630

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
khharms - 2011-07-11 8:13 PM 

That's really it. My strategy is simple: I WILL be in the front! After this clinic is really gave me an idea of who thinks they are strong swimmers. Not to get a big ego, but I led the pack for every drill. During the mass start, sure, we trampled over each other, but I was able to pull out ahead and stay there. I think this really gave me a ton of confidence, and also a reminder not to hold back. I have to shine in my event, too bad it's first, lol!

Thanks for sharing! I swam with a few triathletes in Lake Michigan and it sounds like the tips they gave me were quite similar to what you learned during your clinic. Good to know we're on the same page!

Unfortunately, my swim strategy is decidedly different from yours for the mass start. I need to somehow find a sweet spot at the back of the pack, but in front of the breast strokers. This usually means I start in a very crowded spot. I think I need to stay on the outside of the herd at start time and just try to find some open water. Going to be tough though.

I actually think confidence is a big issue for me. I was talking to a friend this weekend about how I thought I'd be one of the last on the course, and she goes, "I think you're better than you think you are."  In running, for instance, for years I always position myself at the back end of the 10-minute milers, then end up doing closer to 9 minute miles. It has taken me like 5 years to START with the 9 minute milers and to move myself up in mass starts. And as I've moved myself up in the starting queue, I always get better times!

So, I'm a little unsure WHERE to start this triathlon in terms of positioning. I think my swim is going to take me about 37 minutes to complete if I sight properly and swim straight and don't get stuck behind roadblocks. Any advice the group can give me is much appreciated. 

2011-07-12 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3592408

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
nmladic - 2011-07-12 9:17 AM
khharms - 2011-07-11 8:13 PM 

Thanks for sharing! I swam with a few triathletes in Lake Michigan and it sounds like the tips they gave me were quite similar to what you learned during your clinic. Good to know we're on the same page!

Unfortunately, my swim strategy is decidedly different from yours for the mass start. I need to somehow find a sweet spot at the back of the pack, but in front of the breast strokers. This usually means I start in a very crowded spot. I think I need to stay on the outside of the herd at start time and just try to find some open water. Going to be tough though.

I actually think confidence is a big issue for me. I was talking to a friend this weekend about how I thought I'd be one of the last on the course, and she goes, "I think you're better than you think you are."  In running, for instance, for years I always position myself at the back end of the 10-minute milers, then end up doing closer to 9 minute miles. It has taken me like 5 years to START with the 9 minute milers and to move myself up in mass starts. And as I've moved myself up in the starting queue, I always get better times!

So, I'm a little unsure WHERE to start this triathlon in terms of positioning. I think my swim is going to take me about 37 minutes to complete if I sight properly and swim straight and don't get stuck behind roadblocks. Any advice the group can give me is much appreciated. 

I'm no tri expert on where to start, but I think it all depends on your confidence level, and probably even the race itself. For instance, if I were going to do an Oly, no way would I start at the front - why?? At that level the swimmer know who they are. For MY race, it is women only, and it is geared toward first timers. The distances are shorter, and everything is flat land (not surprising in Houston!).

Even at the clinic, I started in the middle, on the outside, and I still passed everyone - all these girls are going to be there in August, so for me it's a no brainer to start in the front.

I would almost rather be trampled over than have to get around people. It seems like you would waste a lot of energy trying to pass. just my opinion.

2011-07-12 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Savage8778 - 2011-07-11 11:48 PM

Nutrition wise: I have to figure this out. I had such bad GI distress (Again!) on the run this time. My run time was 27:00 for a 5k. No bueno for me. I was just happy I didn't walk, because that is really all I wanted to do. The heat is just oppressive down here the last few weeks.

What are you doing for nutrition in a sprint?  Is it pre-race or mid-race issues?  For that length of race and the time it's taking you, I wouldn't think you'd have anything except for sports drink at a run aid station during the race and only if necessary then.  Before any race, I start with a "safe" breakfast (i.e. something I've had a bunch of times before w/o issues), then a powerbar or something similar on the drive to the site (depending on breakfast size).  Then for longer races, Gu or similar 45 and 15 min out, and just 15 for a sprint.  That with your glycogen stores (1000's of calories) would be plenty for 1-1.5 hours, especially since with the higher level of effort, I'd want to run more "empty" so to speak since excess in my stomach/GI would be more prone to cause problems (vs a lower intensity race like HIM where you can eat and absorb w/o as many problems).

2011-07-12 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3592506

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

On a side note:

I'M GOING BIKE SHOPPING!!! I'm so excited!!

Any opinions on what to stay away from? I have two in mind, a LOOK and a TREK - both very beginner (like under $1000 beginner) but trust me, anything is better than what I have.

I know the components make all the difference, but are there brands to stay away from? I don't want to get stuck with something that will have me in the shop after every ride.

2011-07-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3592513

User image

Master
South Alabama
khharms - 2011-07-12 9:58 AM

On a side note:

Any opinions on what to stay away from? I have two in mind, a LOOK and a TREK - both very beginner (like under $1000 beginner) but trust me, anything is better than what I have.

I know the components make all the difference, but are there brands to stay away from? I don't want to get stuck with something that will have me in the shop after every ride.

Wow, that is exciting!  Are you buying new or used?  From an individual or a bike shop? Tri or road bike?

Fit is by far the most important consideration.  If you are buying from an individual you should factor in the cost of getting a good fit.  If buying from a bike store then try to get the fit included in the price.  Ideally, you should have a fit done before buying a bike and then get a bike that works with your measurements rather than trying to  "adapt" to a bike that may not be a good fit for you.  If buying from a bike store they should be able to eyeball it a little but all sizes are not equal.  Its a big investment so try to be patient (its hard) and find the bike that fits you best.

I don't know of any specific brands to avoid.  May want to look at www.roadbikereview.com as there are tons of bike reviews over there.  Of course, what one person likes another may not.  Just a resource.

A new bike is a great way to get/stay motivated to ride!

Randy 
2011-07-12 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Savage8778 - 2011-07-11 11:48 PM

Just get the Garmin one.  They are pretty cheap on Amazon ($34 with no tax/free shipping. I doubt you could find a separate computer with cadence for less).  It'll be more convenient and (more importantly) more aero than another computer

Don't worry so much about being in any special range.  previously, it was though high cadence is better.  Now people are suggesting lower is better for Tri's (the mentor from Randy and I's last group keeps his cadence in the 70s and frequently does work in the 50s to 60s and he's a very FOP biker with a coach prescribing it).  I feel more comfortable in the higher range, and often have averages between 95 and 100 for hard/race efforts.  also, the harder the gearing, the more I like to run a higher cadence, so downhill for instance.  So even if i'm putting out the same power I'm more likely to be over 100 if I'm at the high end of my gearing and <90 at the low (easier) end.

use the cadence to see what you prefer and experiment to see how changing it effects how you feel.  You can train yourself to adopt a higher/lower cadence and it will help to have the numbers to watch if this is your goal.

2011-07-12 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3592513

User image

Master
Baltimore
khharms - 2011-07-12 10:58 AM

On a side note:

Jealous!!!!

have fun with it.  Spend waaaaay too much time online, talking to shops, testing bikes out etc.  it's too much fun not to!

I would highly suggest you take a look at Performance Bike if you have one near you.  At that price point they will definitely give you more bang for your buck than the LBS's with Trek, speciallized, etc.  My fiancee bought her bike there for about $900.  a week later it was in a car accident and the other driver's insurance bought a new bike.  Performance was out of what she needed (and with a race that weekend, she couldn't wait) and another bike with "like kind and quility" was over $1,400!  Luckly the insurance paid, not her.

Frames at that price point will all be of good quality and quite capable.  it just comes down to who can hang components and wheels on it cheaper (Shimano 105 on one bike is the same and 105 on another).  Performance just does it cheaper.  And which is prettier too...

2011-07-12 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3592535

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
slornow - 2011-07-12 10:10 AM
khharms - 2011-07-12 9:58 AM

On a side note:

Wow, that is exciting!  Are you buying new or used?  From an individual or a bike shop? Tri or road bike?

Fit is by far the most important consideration.  If you are buying from an individual you should factor in the cost of getting a good fit.  If buying from a bike store then try to get the fit included in the price.  Ideally, you should have a fit done before buying a bike and then get a bike that works with your measurements rather than trying to  "adapt" to a bike that may not be a good fit for you.  If buying from a bike store they should be able to eyeball it a little but all sizes are not equal.  Its a big investment so try to be patient (its hard) and find the bike that fits you best.

I don't know of any specific brands to avoid.  May want to look at www.roadbikereview.com as there are tons of bike reviews over there.  Of course, what one person likes another may not.  Just a resource.

A new bike is a great way to get/stay motivated to ride!

Randy 

I know my LBS has used, and a trade in program, so if they have one that is a good fit, I'm not opposed to buying used. For this bike I'm buying from the store and not craigslist or anything like that. I want to make sure I get the proper bike for me, and all the information I need about how it should actually feel. Same for tri bike vs road bike (I honestly don't know the difference)

There are two bike stores that I would feel comfortable going to, one is literally within walking distance from my house (which means I could ride my bike home Laughing) The other is a tri store, and the owners wife is the race director of TriGirl - which is the race I do.  He may be a little less about getting me on an expensive bike with bells and whistles and get me on something for my level. The store by me seems like they are all about money and making commission or something, I always feel like the shop guy laughs at me when I leave my bike there.

I have of course Sun and Ski Sports and REI, but I don't want some high school guy telling me which bike is appropriate for me!

My search will begin tomorrow

2011-07-12 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Quick follow up on my bike:

It was chirping and squeaking this weekend and I thought the back breaks were wearing down unevenly and causing problems.  So I figured I could take it to my LBS to have them quickly look at the breaks, and also walk me through changing the back tire with me (I watched a few videos but thought supervision was a good idea given how close I am to race day). 

Called all my local shops and none of them would show me how to change a tire on a Saturday or Sunday. In fact, one bike shop was downright rude about it, practically laughed in my face. They were like, "Yeah right. Come on a Tuesday during the day. We can't have you standing around the store while customers are at the counter." Apparently bike shops assume people don't work. And apparently if you already have a bike, you are not a customer. 

Doesn't it take a professional all of 2 minutes to change a tire!? 

I was so mad about it, but I really needed to get my back breaks inspected, so my BF (who actually is unemployed) took my bike in yesterday and had everything done. I guess my back tire is bent (lots of potholes and bad roads around our house), so they're going to get it back into shape and I should have it back before I leave for Bloomington on Friday. Still very annoyed about it.

2011-07-13 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3592829

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-07-12 1:26 PM

It was chirping and squeaking this weekend and I thought the back breaks were wearing down unevenly and causing problems.  So I figured I could take it to my LBS to have them quickly look at the breaks, and also walk me through changing the back tire with me (I watched a few videos but thought supervision was a good idea given how close I am to race day). 

Called all my local shops and none of them would show me how to change a tire on a Saturday or Sunday. In fact, one bike shop was downright rude about it, practically laughed in my face. They were like, "Yeah right. Come on a Tuesday during the day. We can't have you standing around the store while customers are at the counter." Apparently bike shops assume people don't work. And apparently if you already have a bike, you are not a customer. 

I was so mad about it, but I really needed to get my back breaks inspected, so my BF (who actually is unemployed) took my bike in yesterday and had everything done. I guess my back tire is bent (lots of potholes and bad roads around our house), so they're going to get it back into shape and I should have it back before I leave for Bloomington on Friday. Still very annoyed about it.

Sorry to hear about that.  There's actually a thread in tri-talk about poor LBS customer service.  Cyclists are a weird bunch.  SOme are friendly as can be (and you'd think those who have business/$$ on the line would definitely be!) and some are very dismissive of new cyclists and people learning about the sport and maintenence.  Some shops also get very backed up with their labor/service so maybe they were rude because of that.  It's hit or miss a lot of the time.  i wouldn't think they'd mind if you just watched them do the tire change though.  Regardless, maybe a visit to a new shop is in order next time .  There's a local small chain here (4 or 5 different locations) that I got my bike and was fit by the owner at.  Talking to the owner about my very poor experience at a different shop, he was very annoyed at them, and mentioned how hard it is to keep people in line on stuff like that and how frustrated he gets trying to keep his store brand a positive one.  The other store managers/regular workers don't have the same stake in the company as he does so they probably just don't care.  But it just goes to show you, it can be that individual being a jerk or having a bad day while the shop itself is otherwise very good.

2011-07-13 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
What's everyone up to today?  I've got this ride planned after work: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/541166, actually one of the less hilly routes I've planned around there.  I have a love/hate relationship with the terrain around me

2011-07-13 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Alright....I'm back from a couple days at the beach.  It was going to recharge me and get me motivated.  It was wonderful and I loved sitting on the beach, reading a book.  BUT...still can't get out of my funk.  I was going to sign up for an oly race in August but I don't know if I really want to.  I really don't want to sign up and not train for it.  I think I need another goal.  Some other kind of challenge.  I have a couple options.  I need to get faster on my bike and I'd like to lose some weight.  Nothing crazy, somewhere between 5-7 pounds.   I'm 5'5" and weigh about 132.  I think if I was closer to 125 I'd feel better, look better and race better.  It shouldn't be THAT hard to lose 5 pounds.  I'm going to look into a bike training plan.  But I need a bike goal.  Any thoughts? 

I have missed a bunch of posts in the last few days.  I'll check them out now.

Christy

2011-07-13 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3594493

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

jsiegs - 2011-07-13 11:12 AM What's everyone up to today?  I've got this ride planned after work: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/541166, actually one of the less hilly routes I've planned around there.  I have a love/hate relationship with the terrain around me

50 miles after work? Rock star.

I'm tapering! So I'll probably do a 2-mile run tonight, with some stretching and light core work, then start printing out gear checklists for this weekend. I'm getting a little antsy for Saturday, so now I'll just start obsessively mentally packing and re-packing all my stuff. Need to do some laundry tonight too since we'll be gone Friday through Sunday. 

Tomorrow is a 45-minute bike ride, and that's my last workout before the big day! Woot!

2011-07-13 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3594540

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-07-13 11:40 AM

jsiegs - 2011-07-13 11:12 AM What's everyone up to today?  I've got this ride planned after work: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/541166, actually one of the less hilly routes I've planned around there.  I have a love/hate relationship with the terrain around me

50 miles after work? Rock star.

I'm tapering! So I'll probably do a 2-mile run tonight, with some stretching and light core work, then start printing out gear checklists for this weekend. I'm getting a little antsy for Saturday, so now I'll just start obsessively mentally packing and re-packing all my stuff. Need to do some laundry tonight too since we'll be gone Friday through Sunday. 

Tomorrow is a 45-minute bike ride, and that's my last workout before the big day! Woot!

Is your race Saturday?  Super exciting!!!  I can't wait to hear about it.

Christy

2011-07-13 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3592829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-07-12 12:26 PM

That sucks.  Is there another shop around?  Some of the shops near me have bike changing clinics. Maybe you can find one around you.  I'm glad you'll have a "fixed up" bike this weekend.

Christy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56