BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-03-11 7:28 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
Happy birthday Q!!!!

2012-03-11 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
Dave I am glad I did it and didn't back out. I'm also pretty happy that of all the master novices, I came third in the swim! Even without flip turns

Edited by Ybeal 2012-03-11 7:30 PM
2012-03-11 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4090354

User image

Veteran
peterflagg - 2012-03-10 9:31 PMCongrats on the race!
Thanks!! Your post about spin class had me laughing! When my brother visited I convinced him to do one with me and he had that exact same reaction !
2012-03-11 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4091136

Rochester

Y,

That is funny. Makes me feel good about the feeling I had, like I am not the only one that doesn't feel that way. I think the thing that kept me going was this little lady that was in the class was going like a demon, obvuiously being a guy I had to keep up a good pace, not as fast as her but I did not want to go home and tell my GF that a little lady kicked my butt or let anyone at work know that. LOL.

Q,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope #29 is awesome for you!

2012-03-11 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4090017

User image

Expert
Hammond
peterflagg - 2012-03-10 2:03 PMI did a spin class today. A couple of things I thought of afterwards. 2) going to see if they can move it down to the first floor. Why? See #2. 2) my legs were so wrecked after class and I had a bunch of stairs to go down, I thought for a little bit, maybe I should just throw myself down the stairs. The only reason I did not is because I did not have a case for my glasses. Did not want to break them. Lol
Peter,LMAO. I have felt the same way after many a spin class. In fact my dh has nicknamed our instructor Satan. We both think she's on the membership removal committee. We're sure that she's out to kill a few of us off. Keep it up. Eventually you'll only think about throwing yourself down the stairs about every other class- lol.Shelly
2012-03-11 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4090348

User image

Expert
Hammond
Ybeal - 2012-03-10 8:28 PM

Well, first tri of the season is done done done! I've had a really stressful couple of days with work issues and I DID NOT have the mindset for this race.  I had some major anxiety a couple of hours before my start time and had a REALLY hard time getting it under control...it's a good thing I had travelled to the race with my family or I probably would have bailed all together.  So I think I definitely could have done better, especially on the run.  I now know that I will not register as a master novice again because I didn't realize that meant I had to wait around to start.  The race started at 8 am and I didn't start until 11:28.

Here's the race report

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=429696 

Think I'm going to sneak in an even shorter sprint on March 25th to make up for this one

Yvonne
Sounds to me like you did awesome all things considered. Another fellow BT er that's in my other mentor group did that tri also. Ya'lls race reports were extremely similar even time wise :-).
Glad to hear that you are already looking for another one. It is contagious- hehe.
Shelly

2012-03-11 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Quincy,
Happy Birthday to you.

Shelly
2012-03-12 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4090348

User image

Veteran

Yvonne,

Thanks for the inspiration!  Cool

Edited by TLakatos1259 2012-03-12 5:16 PM
2012-03-12 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran

File:Boris natasha fearless.jpg

Q, HAPPY BIRTHDAY FEARLESS LEADER

May you always be able to out run your children!

2012-03-12 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran

Well, while Yvonne was racing, I was shopping and learning at the Multisport Expo in NY city.  I was able to buy a Timex Global Trainer watch, HR monitor, and bike cadence monitor for $187, sounds like a great deal.  Got some other freebies, books, and info.  I just wish there were more vendors selling stuff.  But overall, worth the trip.  I did join US Triathlon, so I got that out of the way.  Now it's time to register for some races.

Tom

2012-03-12 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4092934

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-03-12 5:27 PM

Well, while Yvonne was racing, I was shopping and learning at the Multisport Expo in NY city.  I was able to buy a Timex Global Trainer watch, HR monitor, and bike cadence monitor for $187, sounds like a great deal.  Got some other freebies, books, and info.  I just wish there were more vendors selling stuff.  But overall, worth the trip.  I did join US Triathlon, so I got that out of the way.  Now it's time to register for some races.

Tom

I think thats a great price for that watch! Happy you thought the expo was worth the trip. Did you go to any seminars?

2012-03-12 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran

Found a sprint tri in Indy on 4/15 with an indoor 400 meter swim, 10 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.  Best get my hiney in the pool!

Ready.  Set.  Go.

2012-03-13 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4093114

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-03-12 9:12 PM
TLakatos1259 - 2012-03-12 5:27 PM

Tom

I think thats a great price for that watch! Happy you thought the expo was worth the trip. Did you go to any seminars?

I arrived just in time for the first set of seminars.  Nancy Clark spoke about nutrition and I bought several of her books. Then there were 3 sections for the 3 tri sports.  The swimming was very interesting because they talked about twisting your hips to slice through the water.  I spent more time on the floor looking for info and equipement.  Overall, I plan to go again.  Next year I may pay for some of the clinics, just wasn't in the budget this year.

2012-03-14 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran

Hello All! It is over 80 degrees in NC...totally insane!

Going to take the kids to their tri practice (they are swimming tonight) and get a quick 1 or 2 mile run in while they are doing their thing.

Looking forward to the Shamrock 8K in Virginia Beach this Saturday.  The kids are doing their 1 mile 'Smile Mile' - I hope it's well organized because I'm getting a little freaked out since I just read that there will be 4500 kids running the smile mile! How amazing is that! Of course the paranoid mom in me is worried about ALL THOSE PEOPLE!!

2012-03-14 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran

Got outside to finally ride the "Red Rider" today!  73 degrees, went as fast as I could for 8 miles.  Head wind makes a world of difference, LOL, than indoors.  But it was great to get outside, avg speed was 14 mph, so no complaints.

Good Luck Yvonne!

May the Legs be with You

2012-03-15 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Cannot believe this weather! Dh is out of town so I can't get out for a good ride but the early morning runs while the kiddos are asleep have been fab! What's everyone else got going on?

2012-03-16 7:38 AM

User image

Veteran

Question:

I'm thinking of increasing my run loop to about 3.1 miles.  I am working on the C25K plan which is based on 30 minutes 3 times/week.

My current loop is 2.5 miles.  Should I stick with this or increase to 3.1 to give me a longer excercise time?  It takes me about 39 minutes to do the 2.5 at this point.

BTW, Has anyone seen a mentor?

2012-03-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4098836

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-03-16 7:38 AM

Question:

I'm thinking of increasing my run loop to about 3.1 miles.  I am working on the C25K plan which is based on 30 minutes 3 times/week.

My current loop is 2.5 miles.  Should I stick with this or increase to 3.1 to give me a longer excercise time?  It takes me about 39 minutes to do the 2.5 at this point.

BTW, Has anyone seen a mentor?

Tom-

One rule of thumb is to not increase speed and distance at the same time.    I'd like to see you just work on your progress to a continuous run.    So  keep increasing the run portion of your distance and shorten the walk till you can go the whole way.  Then increase distance.   

Ive been distracted a lil bit with  "words with friends"  so addicting! 

I'll also admit to having a bit of training depression.   If i didn't know better I'd say I was on the Ironman-to couch-plan. 

Kind of lost my way.   That whole run every day thing really did a number on me.  Trying to get it back.   Swim is non existent.    Been enjoying the bike though.     Its pretty normal for me to have one of the three disciplines not going well  at any given time.  Its tough to juggle all 3 and be happy with all 3.     I'm a reasonably happy Dave if 2/3 are going well.    right now I'm  1/3   so not too good.   But at least there is something!

So each one of us faces this lil fork in the road  a bunch of times.   You have to keep deciding which direction you want to take.     Even though me and Q are mentors, We have faced this sign over and over again ourselves and continue to have to decide.   One of the best things we can help you guys to understand is that this will ever be the struggle, no matter what you achieve or how long you do it.    

Every day you wake up and have to answer the question.    "Am I going to train today??" 

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-03-16 8:55 AM
2012-03-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4098302

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

DaDooRunRun - 2012-03-15 6:05 PM Cannot believe this weather! Dh is out of town so I can't get out for a good ride but the early morning runs while the kiddos are asleep have been fab! What's everyone else got going on?

YES!    The weather in the Chicago area has just been unREAL.   I was not able to take advantage of it till yesterday. 

My tri bike is locked into its trainer and is so perfectly set up, I didnt want to disturb it.  So instead I did spin the other night.   But yesterday was just too much for me and I HAD to get out there.   SO I chose to RIDE!!!     took my old museum piece roadie out for a simply incredible ride in this weather. 

36 mile ride from Gurnee to Lake Geneva

This was my first outdoor ride since September.   Found my conditioning to be good.  The bike performed very well (except for one chain drop...  boo)   

Things I experienced:

It was great to take in the fresh air, sweat getting into my eyes,  what it feels like to bike at speed, with the feel of the wind over my back,    ate a bug (this does not happen indoors)     snot rocket,   rode past a high school where the baseball team was out practicing-heard the crack of the bat against the ball  (love that sound!)    loved the out of the saddle climb.    The glimmer of the sun on the water from the many lakes I rode past.    The birds singing,  frogs  calling each other in the bogs I passed .    Chased by 2 dogs  (they lost)     Trying to stay with the speed of traffic,  leaning into a turn.   Riding past the guy that has all of this awesome ethnic metal sculptures  in front of his house that he made.   Looking at people enjoying the day.     Finally reaching the destination, kicked back on a bench and waited for my lovely ladies met up with me and we had Gino's East pizza  and beer by the Lake.   (they were shopping)   

This late afternoon/night was a bit of heaven!

Here are some pics from along the way.   

First up is the final pic.   Destination as the sun was getting low in the sky. 

The Gold Pyramid house.  

Stopped to take pics.  I kind of liked this one, not sure why.

OK  I guess I go to the right!

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-03-16 9:55 AM
2012-03-16 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4096591

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-03-14 5:05 PM

Got outside to finally ride the "Red Rider" today!  73 degrees, went as fast as I could for 8 miles.  Head wind makes a world of difference, LOL, than indoors.  But it was great to get outside, avg speed was 14 mph, so no complaints.

Good Luck Yvonne!

May the Legs be with You

Good work Tom!   But a tail wind is awesome!    goes both ways  or so they say. 

2012-03-16 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4096347

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-03-14 2:32 PM

Hello All! It is over 80 degrees in NC...totally insane!

Going to take the kids to their tri practice (they are swimming tonight) and get a quick 1 or 2 mile run in while they are doing their thing.

Looking forward to the Shamrock 8K in Virginia Beach this Saturday.  The kids are doing their 1 mile 'Smile Mile' - I hope it's well organized because I'm getting a little freaked out since I just read that there will be 4500 kids running the smile mile! How amazing is that! Of course the paranoid mom in me is worried about ALL THOSE PEOPLE!!

4500 kids!  WOW!   the next generation of runners   love it.       You are living the life!   2 weeks in a row or racing     Have a great time

2012-03-16 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4099082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
oriolepwr - 2012-03-16 10:41 AM

DaDooRunRun - 2012-03-15 6:05 PM Cannot believe this weather! Dh is out of town so I can't get out for a good ride but the early morning runs while the kiddos are asleep have been fab! What's everyone else got going on?

YES!    The weather in the Chicago area has just been unREAL.   I was not able to take advantage of it till yesterday. 

My tri bike is locked into its trainer and is so perfectly set up, I didnt want to disturb it.  So instead I did spin the other night.   But yesterday was just too much for me and I HAD to get out there.   SO I chose to RIDE!!!     took my old museum piece roadie out for a simply incredible ride in this weather. 

This was my first outdoor ride since September.   Found my conditioning to be good.  The bike performed very well (except for one chain drop...  boo)   

Things I experienced:

It was great to take in the fresh air, sweat getting into my eyes,  what it feels like to bike at speed, with the feel of the wind over my back,    ate a bug (this does not happen indoors)     snot rocket,   rode past a high school where the baseball team was out practicing-heard the crack of the bat against the ball  (love that sound!)    loved the out of the saddle climb.    The glimmer of the sun on the water from the many lakes I rode past.    The birds singing,  frogs  calling each other in the bogs I passed .    Chased by 2 dogs  (they lost)     Trying to stay with the speed of traffic,  leaning into a turn.   Riding past the guy that has all of this awesome ethnic metal sculptures  in front of his house that he made.   Looking at people enjoying the day.     Finally reaching the destination, kicked back on a bench and waited for my lovely ladies met up with me and we had Gino's East pizza  and beer by the Lake.   (they were shopping)   

The Gold Pyramid house.  

LOVE the old school ride and the pics! We're gonna have some stellar weather here on LI this week as well so I'm hopin to get in an outdoor ride on my own "Museum piece".

For the better part of this month I've been commuting to lower Manhattan for work which are some seriously LONG days so training has been squat but hey, gotta pay the bills, right?

2012-03-16 10:15 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I'm here!!! Love the pix! The weather has been insanely amazing here...like, so nice nobody has been inside all week! Yesterday I went out to lunch with my husband and we were laughing at the people out walking around. It was like, all of a sudden everyone just HAD to be outside and dropped everything and just left the house, regardless of what they were wearing (or not wearing). I've never seen anything like this weather.

Is anyone racing this weekend???

2012-03-16 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4099082

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-03-16 9:41 AM

Things I experienced:

This late afternoon/night was a bit of heaven!

The Gold Pyramid house.  

WOW, we have to get up there to ride with you...I love that Lake Geneva area.

2012-03-16 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4092930

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TLakatos1259 - 2012-03-12 5:22 PM

File:Boris natasha fearless.jpg

Q, HAPPY BIRTHDAY FEARLESS LEADER

May you always be able to out run your children!

I think I drank 75 margaritas for my birthday weekend. It was epic. And I'm already worried about my oldest...she's getting faster and faster. Sigh.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44