BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-23 12:15 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

I've been a little quiet around here.  Sorry.

My foot is feeling better.  It still hurts.  I'm swimming and riding my bike and doing the elliptical.  I had the flu last week.  This week, I'm fighting a mild cold.  It never ends.

I'm missing my intense workouts but I know that mellow, zone 2 stuff is all I can handle.  My HR has been quite elevated recently.  I was talking to some local nurse friends of mine the other day.  They said that one of the lingering effects of the flu I had is an elevated HR and blood pressure for a couple weeks after the end of symptoms.  I'll just carry on with what I've been doing.  Glad to hear I'm totally normal, though. Undecided

2013-01-23 4:46 AM
in reply to: #4590259

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
pistuo - 2013-01-22 9:03 PM

Finally managed to get a decent swim workout in today.  Granted, it was super slow, but I got in 3000 meters- 2500 of which was non-stop.  Ate a package of peanut butter crackers right before... made a huge difference (I've been doing my swims after work, before dinner).  Just reminded me that I suck at nutrition. 

Swimming question for all of you:  Do you wear ear plugs?  If so, what kind?

Nutrition?  What's that?  Sometimes I have to get s little bit of something in my stomach before some WO's.  I have found I will fade very quickly if I don't get something in me prior to running and riding, specifically.  An empty stomach has a psychological effect on me that I know has little or nothing to do with the reserves my body has within.

No ear plugs at all for me either.  Occasionally I get very itchy ears from swimming and I figure it's related to the chlorine that settles in my ears after a swim.  Using alcohol is a good way to keep swimmers ear at bay but I've heard not to use it all the time.  I can't remember the reason currently and I don't have time to check up on it right now.

2013-01-23 4:51 AM
in reply to: #4590428

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jpbis26 - 2013-01-22 10:53 PM

Went running tonight with my friend Jamie (she did the HM with me 2 years ago). Can't wait until we're able to run together again. It motivates me to continue the C25K program so we can do longer runs by the spring. As I get older, I start to appreciate good friends & how they are hard to come by. So happy to be have my running partner back.

That sounds like a great run.  I love that you are planning to run again with her.  Accountability goes a long way and you'll be so happy you've found that partner again.  Keep up the good work!

RunningYogini - 2013-01-23 1:15 AM

I've been a little quiet around here.  Sorry.

My foot is feeling better.  It still hurts.  I'm swimming and riding my bike and doing the elliptical.  I had the flu last week.  This week, I'm fighting a mild cold.  It never ends.

I'm missing my intense workouts but I know that mellow, zone 2 stuff is all I can handle.  My HR has been quite elevated recently.  I was talking to some local nurse friends of mine the other day.  They said that one of the lingering effects of the flu I had is an elevated HR and blood pressure for a couple weeks after the end of symptoms.  I'll just carry on with what I've been doing.  Glad to hear I'm totally normal, though. Undecided

I'm glad to hear your foot is doing better.  Staying in a work out attitude and completing the work outs you can do is pretty important.  And I wouldn't worry about the missing intensity stuff.  With your base you're not missing anything!  You won't even need to play catch up of any sort once you've made it back to 100%.

2013-01-23 6:16 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Jackie, congrats on getting a running partner.  However. be careful with it.  If she can not make it for a run, that is not your excuse to skip too..lol  just be sure to use it as a motivational tool and friend and not a crutch.

Tracy...will you get well!  Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Jeff, how is your cold/flu you had over the weekend?

Will, congrats on the swim.  I do not use earplugs but do use a swim cap to keep part of the water out.  I use swim ear after every swim.  I didn't know we were not supposed to.  Waiting to hear back from Dirk on that.

Dirk, I can't wait to see the pic but it is blocked here..they block some and not others, probably because it has a facebook thing???

Swim went good for me yesterday, I swam 300 yards non-stop, my longest in my entire life so far but very slow. hey I just glad not to drown.  Since I've never swam, I'm estatic over this and could have gone further but didn't want to risk hurting anything.  Then I started using the pull buoy, swimming w/ fist instead of hands, using the kickboard etc etc.

So Dirk, I was thinking of running 12 miles Sat.  Is that a bad idea?, I was thinking I needed to do that for confidence that I can finish but I don't want to make things worse??????

Oh yea, do ya'll take your rings off while swimming?  My hands shrink in the water and my ring almost fell of so I took it off, that was Friday.  I have not found it yet..yikes!  Sure glad my head is screwed on.  Wife has been real good about it...whew!

Edited by KWDreamun 2013-01-23 6:19 AM
2013-01-23 6:47 AM
in reply to: #4590592

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
KWDreamun - 2013-01-23 7:16 AM

Jackie, congrats on getting a running partner.  However. be careful with it.  If she can not make it for a run, that is not your excuse to skip too..lol  just be sure to use it as a motivational tool and friend and not a crutch.

Tracy...will you get well!  Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Jeff, how is your cold/flu you had over the weekend?

Will, congrats on the swim.  I do not use earplugs but do use a swim cap to keep part of the water out.  I use swim ear after every swim.  I didn't know we were not supposed to.  Waiting to hear back from Dirk on that.

Dirk, I can't wait to see the pic but it is blocked here..they block some and not others, probably because it has a facebook thing???

Swim went good for me yesterday, I swam 300 yards non-stop, my longest in my entire life so far but very slow. hey I just glad not to drown.  Since I've never swam, I'm estatic over this and could have gone further but didn't want to risk hurting anything.  Then I started using the pull buoy, swimming w/ fist instead of hands, using the kickboard etc etc.

So Dirk, I was thinking of running 12 miles Sat.  Is that a bad idea?, I was thinking I needed to do that for confidence that I can finish but I don't want to make things worse??????

Oh yea, do ya'll take your rings off while swimming?  My hands shrink in the water and my ring almost fell of so I took it off, that was Friday.  I have not found it yet..yikes!  Sure glad my head is screwed on.  Wife has been real good about it...whew!

Karl- I absolutely take my ring off when swimming. I have seen others with theirs on. In fact, I take mine off whenever I work out out of fear of losing it.

As for that 12 mile run.... best of luck if you attempt it. I will be running 8 miles on Friday or Saturday in preparation for the Tally Half.

2013-01-23 6:50 AM
in reply to: #4590548

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
DirkP - 2013-01-23 5:46 AM

Finally managed to get a decent swim workout in today.  Granted, it was super slow, but I got in 3000 meters- 2500 of which was non-stop.  Ate a package of peanut butter crackers right before... made a huge difference (I've been doing my swims after work, before dinner).  Just reminded me that I suck at nutrition. 

Nutrition?  What's that?  Sometimes I have to get s little bit of something in my stomach before some WO's.  I have found I will fade very quickly if I don't get something in me prior to running and riding, specifically.  An empty stomach has a psychological effect on me that I know has little or nothing to do with the reserves my body has within.

No ear plugs at all for me either.  Occasionally I get very itchy ears from swimming and I figure it's related to the chlorine that settles in my ears after a swim.  Using alcohol is a good way to keep swimmers ear at bay but I've heard not to use it all the time.  I can't remember the reason currently and I don't have time to check up on it right now.

I've read to use a mix of alcohol and white vinegar for ear drops - one is supposed to dry them up and another to neutralize bacteria I think. Plus, the mix is less harsh on your ears. I usually use drops after every other swim. It's been working for me for a year.  

I have to eat something for a WO too. I did make the mistake one time of eating barbeque before a run and will NEVER do that again. I try to stick with string cheese, bananas, peanut butter.. things like that.

2013-01-23 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4590178

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
DirkP - 2013-01-22 8:05 PM
jenbmosley - 2013-01-22 3:36 PM

Today's swim.... so, after being slightly discouraged about a few little things that shouldn't bother me, I decided to just relax during today's lunch hour swim. Workout - 1500 yards easy.

Well, our local and famous Ironman was waiting for a lane in the pool and guess who's lane he ended up getting in - yeah, mine. Getting lapped by someone who swims at a ridiculous speed would normally really intimidate me, but something interested happened today. Yes, he did lap me like crazy, but swimming in his wake was a really good experience for me. I was able to remain calm and was able to pick up the speed just a bit. I might not have accomplished a significant stride today, but I am proud of this little step nonetheless.

Sometimes just watching people that are smooth and clean in the water can do wonders for you own swimming.  Next time ask him if you can simply watch his technique.  Make sure you let him know you're new to triathlon so he doesn't think you're a stalker.  He may even offer to help you some.

He and his wife started a Tri Club in our community last year and had their first official meeting in January. A fellow BT-er, a cyclist, invited me to go and assured me that everyone at the meeting would be at different levels. I was glad to go and meet others who will be training for their first Sprint all the way up to IM veterans. That is the only reason I spoke to him at the pool and said I didn't mind sharing the lane. Maybe next time I will ask him for a few pointers and will watch his technique a little more.  

2013-01-23 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Jen, what is the ratio of alcohol to vinegar 1 : 1 ?????
2013-01-23 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Karl: I totally agree on being thankful for what you have , that's why is have been doing a gratitude journal almost everyday for about 2 months now and boy has it changed my attitude! And I do not take my rings off, luckily they do not get that loose.

Sam I hope you can find some help soon on your elbow and hip. Have you ever tried acupuncture?

Jen: nice finding a groove with your swim, Iam sure Mr Ironman will help you. I do not use ear plugs but am definetly going to try the vinegar/alcohol wash I feel like I get sinusy after I swim.

Dirk: Brrrrrrrrr

Tony: good to hear you made your decision on the Marathon

Tracy: Feel Better, Darn it.

As for me: My oldest sister had a minor stroke on Monday and is in the hospital, she lives up north near Madison... my sister Margie and I went up to see her she is going to have to also have a heart-valve replaced. They are farmers and have very limited insurance so they are going to try to get her thru on meds until October when she will get Medicare/ Caide? Whatever it is when you hit 65..,. Anyway more prayers please. As for my training, trainer Justin is still kicking my butt, and I am feeling so much stronger. He had me doing basically a full body circuit then we did legs presses and squats, I then came home and bike for a little over 2 hrs and I felt pretty good so much better that where I was at last year. I ate bad yesterday and sat in the car for 5 hrs so am up .8
Question on this though someone told me when you weight train that for a day or two after you will retain water while your muscles heal is this correct?
2013-01-23 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4590168

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
DirkP - 2013-01-22 7:01 PM
dmiller5 - 2013-01-22 3:03 PM

Swimming question for the fish around here

I'm trying to figure out how fast i should be swimming my intervals.  For instance today I did 4x [200m at 1:40 pace leaving at 4:00. 100m at 1:35 pace leaving at 2:00. 50m at 1:25 pace leaving at 1:00] with 1 minute between each set.  I kind of just picked times that seemed to make sense...  Lets say my goal pace for this season in august would be 1:30's for a 750m sprint tri, how quickly should I be doing my intervals?

I would suggest that you look at your swimming for the full length of the interval rather than the 100 pace for an interval.  So, if you are doing 500's for the main set you would actually swim at 9:00.  Then you add your rest interval to the time of say 1 minute, for example, making it "500's on 10:00."  If you are swimming 200's and it takes you 4:00 for each rep and you want 30 seconds rest you would say 200's on 4:30 and so on.....

On to your specific question.

Per the example used for the 200's I would say you are pretty close to a good rest interval.  If you wanted to work a little harder I think you could go at 3:50 or 3:55.  I think you could/should cut the rest down since you are only doing 4 reps.  If you were doing longer sets I would suggest you stay at a 20 second rest.  I don't do 200's.  Once I get close to that distance I am at 250 yards and I do 6 reps anytime I do 250's.

The shorter your distance the shorter the rest should be too.  If you are doing 50's you could start slowly and then build to something like 5 seconds rest before leaving for the next rep.  I do a WO that I call the "Fast 50's that is done in a similar fashion.  It looks like this:

• 6x50 on :60 @ Landing at :37-:38
  • 6x50 on :55 @ Landing at :39-:40
  • 6x50 on :50 @ Landing at :39-:40
  • 1 minute rest
  • 6x50 on :45 @ Landing at :38-:42

This is a progressively harder WO as it goes along.  By the time I am done I am trashed.  You can see that by the last set I am only getting 3-5 seconds rest before leaving the wall again.

Now that I read your post again it looks like you are doing a ladder WO.  Is that the case?  If so you should start with the shortest distance, build to the longest distance and then reduce the distance in the same manner that you completed the build up.  Each of the reps should be done at a pace that leaves you equally tired as the last rep even though the distance is getting longer.  So, it progresses this way: fastest, faster, fast, moderate, fast, faster, fastest.

One last thing, are you sure you're logging meters or are you logging yards?  Because, if you are actually logging meters, I should be making comments about you being the fish in the water!

As I have reread my post I am feeling very confident I have not answered your question clearly.  If I can get a clearer head I'll come back and answer it again later.  Right now my post isn't even making sense to me.

So basically sounds like I should be resting less. For the record I don't think I explained my workout well. It was 200 in 3:25 +35 sec rest, 100 in 1:35 +25 second rest, 50 in 0:40 +20 sec rest all in a row, 4 times, with 1 minute between each set of 3 intervals.

What I really want to know is should I swim faster, say try to hit 1:20 for the hundred (or something of that nature). I posted this question in the main forum and the consensus seemed to be that I should do a time trial to see where I am, and base paces off of that and my goal pace.

2013-01-23 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Karl, I wear my ring during swims but have come close to losing it on more than 1 occasion! But I have lost 1 ring already from taking it off during sport activities so I'm s aged I will lose another! Sara may question me if a 2nd ring is lost! .

weight check in: came in at 20 so I am down 5 from the beginning! I also checked my weight after my morning ride and was down 7, but that doesn't count!

2013-01-23 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Jo, how is your sister?  How much damage if any?  She will be in our prayers!  How is Margie doing?

Matt, congrats on the weight loss!

2013-01-23 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4590757

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Dave, about your swimming....In swimming circles they call it CSS, but it's FTP for swimming.  It will be your race pace over a distance of 750-1000meters or so I think?

That is the pace you should be swimming at and if your interval distances are shorter (which they will be) then your rest should be small.  How about 3-5 seconds for a 50 and up to 10 seconds for anything longer?

Don't use your goal race pace for this though.  You need a realistic value or you won't be able to hold your pace or your rest intervals.  So you have 2 options.  One option is to do a proper time trial test and the other is to just back your way in to the right speed by adjusting your pace as needed so that you can sustain those rest periods I described. 

I admit to being shaky on swim training principles so let me know (anybody) who thinks I had that wrong, I will appreciate being corrected.

2013-01-23 11:28 AM

User image

Bronze member

Jo so sorry to read about your sister. Sounds like you are getting some really great training in and doesn't it feel good to have that progress over last year!

David sounds like you got some good advice already but nice job on your swim!

I don't use earplugs or dry my ears out with anything after I swim. The only time I ever have a problem with water in my ears is when I wear ear plugs to bed (hubby snores) and then swim the next day.

I also don't wear my wedding ring while exercising. In fact I only wear my ring when I'm going out to dinner or to church or something like that.

Hope everyone is feeling better and good luck weighing in today!

2013-01-23 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
So I just got off the phone with my oldest...his unit is being sent to Afghanistatan OMG ....... This had better be the last of the crappy news. I would really like to scream right now.

My sister Margie is going in for surgery on the 31st and my other sister doesn't have any other damage ( so she is telling us ) other than having to have the valve replaced.

Thanks for letting me vent about life other than tri stuff....
2013-01-23 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4590592

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
KWDreamun - 2013-01-23 7:16 AM

Oh yea, do ya'll take your rings off while swimming?  

I would suggest getting some longer distances into your routine WO's to provide you with confidence.  I know you'd had some difficulty last season with OWS and I think getting something closer to your race distances would help you in the long haul.

If you are having problems with your running right now associated with overuse, and I think this is possibly the issue, you may simply be exacerbating the problem.  I suggest you drop a couple of runs a week and keep your long run no longer than 10 miles for this weekend and allow at least one full day off of running.  I have not taken a look back into your logs closely but I know you've been running everyday for some time and I believe you are asking for problems by continuing to run every day right now.  I suggest running 4 times a week to allow recovery.  Cut out about 6-8 miles of a 18-20 MPW schedule right now and see where it goes.

Another thought is that you are training in the gym on weights all the time and trying to fit so much in right now that you aren't giving your body enough healing and recovery time.  When was the last time you reduced your load to allow healing/recovery?

I can leave my wedding band on without feeling like I am losing it.  But it does become much looser during my swims.

2013-01-23 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4590259

User image

NH

I am (mostly) back from my bout with the bubonic plague.  Got in a trainer ride last night, and my HR was about 10-15 beats higher than normal for the power, so I'm not totally healthy yet.

I often use earplugs swimming, both for warmth (who knew?) and for water in the ear.  I use Mack's Aquablock earplugs.

2013-01-23 11:56 AM

User image

NH

Karl, I am going to second Dirk's comments.

We only benefit from as much training as the body can recover from.  The cold hard facts are that at 50, your body simply does not recover as quickly/completely as it did at 40, or even 45.  I try not to concede anything to age, and of course everyone is unique, but physiology is physiology.  Don't be afraid to take a day off and recover.  Recovery days are training days too, with a very important purpose.  I guess you could walk or do some very light cross training, but your legs may need a little down time to absorb all the training.

2013-01-23 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Jo, wow, you are bearing a lot right now.  You can vent anytime!

Warren glad you are better.

Dirk and Warren, thanks.  I haven't taken a day off..well i don't remember when.  Ok I will cut back on the running day.  I was trying to do what I thought was right to run more often.  Who would have ever know tri would be so confusing...lol  I really do appreciate all of ya'lls feed back and sorry for being such a newbie.  Will it be OK to ride and swim instead of running?  P90(x)?

2013-01-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4591254

User image

NH

KWDreamun - 2013-01-23 1:17 PM

Dirk and Warren, thanks.  I haven't taken a day off..well i don't remember when.  Ok I will cut back on the running day.  I was trying to do what I thought was right to run more often.  Who would have ever know tri would be so confusing...lol  I really do appreciate all of ya'lls feed back and sorry for being such a newbie.  Will it be OK to ride and swim instead of running?  P90(x)?

I'm all for running frequently and I'm convinced it's the path to improvement without injury, though maybe 5 or 6 days a weeks is enough for you.

It's the overall stress you're placing on your body, since all inputs of stress require recovery.  Riding, P90x, lifting, being sick, stress at work or home, lack of sleep - all these things place stress on the body and all require some form of recovery.  At some level, getting injured or sick can be your body "forcing" you to back off and recover.

Try to take a day completely off.  Like watch the paint dry off.  Just one day.  And see how you feel and go from there!

2013-01-23 12:39 PM
in reply to: #4591267

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
wbayek - 2013-01-23 1:26 PM

QUOTE]

I'm all for running frequently and I'm convinced it's the path to improvement without injury, though maybe 5 or 6 days a weeks is enough for you.

It's the overall stress you're placing on your body, since all inputs of stress require recovery.  Riding, P90x, lifting, being sick, stress at work or home, lack of sleep - all these things place stress on the body and all require some form of recovery.  At some level, getting injured or sick can be your body "forcing" you to back off and recover.

Try to take a day completely off.  Like watch the paint dry off.  Just one day.  And see how you feel and go from there!

It is going to be tough to take a day off.  I will TRY.

2013-01-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4591155

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Jo63 - 2013-01-23 9:36 AM So I just got off the phone with my oldest...his unit is being sent to Afghanistatan OMG ....... This had better be the last of the crappy news. I would really like to scream right now. My sister Margie is going in for surgery on the 31st and my other sister doesn't have any other damage ( so she is telling us ) other than having to have the valve replaced. Thanks for letting me vent about life other than tri stuff....

My goodness!  Loads of blessings heading your way!  This is a lot to deal with.  Don't worry about venting about non-tri stuff.  I have done my share.

2013-01-23 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4591173

User image

Elite
far northern CA
wbayek - 2013-01-23 9:43 AM

I am (mostly) back from my bout with the bubonic plague.  Got in a trainer ride last night, and my HR was about 10-15 beats higher than normal for the power, so I'm not totally healthy yet.

I often use earplugs swimming, both for warmth (who knew?) and for water in the ear.  I use Mack's Aquablock earplugs.

Totally understand the HR thing after being sick.  Mine is the same way right now.

2013-01-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4591289

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
KWDreamun - 2013-01-23 12:39 PM

QUOTE]

Warren is right, but if you were running up against your metabolic recovery rate you'd be seeing a different set of symptoms.  Those would be lethargy, cranky, poor sleeping, lower immune system, generalized performance decrease...

You are experiencing leg pain, so you are specifically needing to back down the running, not everything.  So take a 'rest' day that isn't a sedentary day.  Just take your swim or bike or P90x at less intensity (but P90x is all about intensity, so how about you not do that?  I mean for 1 day, not altogether)

And if you have been gently running 1 mile per day for a while I would call that probably good as long as the legs are moving in the right direction.  If not, cut that out too.

Every day running is definitely a good thing, but not when trying to deal with certain running related injuries.  Even if what you feel now is just accumulated soreness I would still call it an injury, just a non-specific and short-lived one.

So taking a few days off running is fine but maximize your recovery when you do.  I am strongly convinced you heal faster if you work the area in a non-running way.  For instance, swimming is a great way to rehab running-fatigued legs...just don't swim without your kick like you might typically try to do.  Specifically work the kick for part of the swim workout.  And cycling is fine too just stay in the saddle and keep your cadence over 90rpm (which requires light load).

Consider going to a masseuse and getting a massage for your legs.  Find a hot tub/jacuzzi somewhere and spend 30 minutes in there.

good luck!

2013-01-23 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4591570

User image

NH
JeffY - 2013-01-23 4:10 PM
KWDreamun - 2013-01-23 12:39 PM

Warren is right, but if you were running up against your metabolic recovery rate you'd be seeing a different set of symptoms.  Those would be lethargy, cranky, poor sleeping, lower immune system, generalized performance decrease...

You are experiencing leg pain, so you are specifically needing to back down the running, not everything.  So take a 'rest' day that isn't a sedentary day.  Just take your swim or bike or P90x at less intensity (but P90x is all about intensity, so how about you not do that?  I mean for 1 day, not altogether)

And if you have been gently running 1 mile per day for a while I would call that probably good as long as the legs are moving in the right direction.  If not, cut that out too.

Every day running is definitely a good thing, but not when trying to deal with certain running related injuries.  Even if what you feel now is just accumulated soreness I would still call it an injury, just a non-specific and short-lived one.

So taking a few days off running is fine but maximize your recovery when you do.  I am strongly convinced you heal faster if you work the area in a non-running way.  For instance, swimming is a great way to rehab running-fatigued legs...just don't swim without your kick like you might typically try to do.  Specifically work the kick for part of the swim workout.  And cycling is fine too just stay in the saddle and keep your cadence over 90rpm (which requires light load).

Consider going to a masseuse and getting a massage for your legs.  Find a hot tub/jacuzzi somewhere and spend 30 minutes in there.

good luck!

x2 on the massage.  And I generally agree with Jeff that doing some work is usually better than nothing for recovery.  The thing to be VERY careful about a "working" recovery day is to make sure it's easy.  This is where the "easy days are not easy enough" talk comes from.  I guess I suggested doing absolutely nothing to make sure you actually don't go too hard.  It's difficult for us type "A" people to take it easy enough.

Edited by wbayek 2013-01-23 3:26 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119