BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-20 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

Donned some dark sunglasses so the sunlight would not hurt the eye infection, (light hurts the worst) and set out for an hour run. Not a great run, I walked 4x, IN THE FIRST MILE!  Only managed a 5K instead of the planned 10K.  Fell short for about 10 mins on my run this week and only 7 mins on the bike...still time to make that up tonight.  Going to do the P90X yoga too.  

64oz of cranberry juice...still not feeling it!  

2013-01-20 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4587354

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Qua17 - 2013-01-20 12:56 PM

Wow - So bummed that the Ravens made it to the Superbowl...

Today I had a good ride on the trainer and also did my first Yoga workout with the help on a Yoga Iphone App... I have had some bad customer service at the place were I do Yoga ($15 for a session but it's a $20 charge to use your credit card - doesn't seem right), so I boycotted and did a session at home using an app on my iphone.  It was good - and I felt like I got a decent workout but does anyone have any good suggestions on where I could go to find other workouts?

I hope everyone keeps it up this week.  We started a month ago and almost everyone is still involved.  Let's be sure to keep supporting each other!

I think someone may have already suggested this, but the P90X  'YogaX' is pretty good I find.

2013-01-20 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4586732

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Burd - 2013-01-20 1:03 AM
jlangene - 2013-01-20 10:51 AM
kevinbe - 2013-01-19 10:41 PM

Congrats on the Leafs victory today. 

Wreck the Halls winter brew from Full sail.  Advertised as a Hoppy Holiday Ale.  Rediculously tasty. 

I agree.

I'm watching this documentary on netflix called ride the divide about these riders who race the continental divide from Banff to Mexican Border.  2000+ miles.  It's insane.  I thought Ironman looked difficult.  Gonna have to recalibrate my new "norm".

Night all.

Prost

I watched it this morning, great flick, amazing that someone could/would do that ride! 

Perfect time for me to resub to netflix.  

Watched it! pretty cool movie, any other endurance Doc's people can recommend?

2013-01-20 10:53 PM
in reply to: #4587369

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
justinfss - 2013-01-20 8:09 PM
Burd - 2013-01-20 1:03 AM
jlangene - 2013-01-20 10:51 AM
kevinbe - 2013-01-19 10:41 PM

Congrats on the Leafs victory today. 

Wreck the Halls winter brew from Full sail.  Advertised as a Hoppy Holiday Ale.  Rediculously tasty. 

I agree.

I'm watching this documentary on netflix called ride the divide about these riders who race the continental divide from Banff to Mexican Border.  2000+ miles.  It's insane.  I thought Ironman looked difficult.  Gonna have to recalibrate my new "norm".

Night all.

Prost

I watched it this morning, great flick, amazing that someone could/would do that ride! 

Perfect time for me to resub to netflix.  

Watched it! pretty cool movie, any other endurance Doc's people can recommend?

don't know if this link will work, but it's called running the sahara, about 3 that run across the sahara desert in Africa.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?v1=Running%20the%20Sahara&raw_query=running&ac_category_type=movie&ac_abs_posn=1&ac_rel_posn=1&raw_query=running

This one was pretty good, and exposed me to the chicago marathon.  called spirit of the marathon

http://movies.netflix.com/WiSearch?raw_query=marathon&ac_category_type=none&ac_rel_posn=-1&ac_abs_posn=-1&v1=marathon

I thought this race would be a good swan song.  Badwater.  140 miles through the Mohave desert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKXGp8utt8A

2013-01-21 1:16 AM
in reply to: #4587354

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Qua17 - 2013-01-20 9:56 PM

Wow - So bummed that the Ravens made it to the Superbowl...

Today I had a good ride on the trainer and also did my first Yoga workout with the help on a Yoga Iphone App... I have had some bad customer service at the place were I do Yoga ($15 for a session but it's a $20 charge to use your credit card - doesn't seem right), so I boycotted and did a session at home using an app on my iphone.  It was good - and I felt like I got a decent workout but does anyone have any good suggestions on where I could go to find other workouts?

I hope everyone keeps it up this week.  We started a month ago and almost everyone is still involved.  Let's be sure to keep supporting each other!

I am doing the P90x yoga tonight.  Hey we can do yoga at different places together!  There is a video on youtube...all the writing is in another language but it comes out in english.  I haven't tried it yet but my daughter does it and she really likes it.  

2013-01-21 6:06 AM
in reply to: #4587356

User image

SportzVision - 2013-01-20 9:58 PM
Burd - 2013-01-20 9:42 PM
kevinbe - 2013-01-20 10:13 PM
snarky - 2013-01-20 6:51 PM
Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  +or-30 miles run
  • slow and easy, no build on last weeks long run, recovery week
  • lose 1 lb.  189 now, 188 by weeks end
  • 2 22 0z. beers this week, excluding hockey night.
  • bike/swim 2x
 2 deliscious 22's
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia
  •  Lose two pods
  • Complete weeks training; came closer this week
  • Lift 3x this week
  • log food
  • Pack my lunch every day
 If I log all my food & pack my lunch this week I get to have the light serving of Beer batter fish n chips at Great Basin.  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared 
  •  Monday 60 min Walk and 18 mile bike (if it don't get done today)
  • Tuesday 30 min Jog
  • Wednesday - Rest (Ice Rescue Training)
  • Thursday - Brick
  • Friday - Bike 15 miles
  • Saturday - Walk 10 miles
  • Sunday - Bike 20 miles
  • Follow nutrition goals!  No Cheating!
  • Get in some strength training for real this week!

mirthfuldragon Charles   
Burd Alex 
  • 3x run
  • 3x str workouts
  • at least 1 day in pool with buoy
  • another week of good nutrition - no shortcuts
  • go to city park office and find the day/time for the yoga classes 

Yakhead  Ian
  •  walk/run 3 times
  • weight train 2 times
  • eat well
  • try to be under 230
  • stretch really well

bobddsmd  Bobby  
 Cassady Doug run 3 hours/bike 3 hours/ swim 2 hours- be under 290 none until under 280
 lp3510 Lenny  
 justinfss Justin

If back is 'back' in good condition:

• Continue with Half-Marathon Trg Plan
  • Swim x2  (including at least one 1/2 Iron distance continuous swim/benchmark time trial)
  • Bike x2
  • Yoga x3 (concentrating on back)
 Buy a premium beer for the rewards shelf, or a coors light for the discipline shelf!
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth
  • Swim 2X
  • jog/walk intervals 2X - ICE afterwards!!
  • Bike 4X – at least one will be outside and one will be a pedal practice session
  • Track calories all week
  • Order my wetsuit
  • try for 154 again

mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Complete week 2 of 16 week Sprint Plan
  • Ice 5x/Stretch for 2 hours/extend roller time to 4 minutes 
  • Yoga 2 times with Yoga Studio app
  • Lose 2 Pounds 
  • Support my fellow BTers

IV Cense

or 

Coors Light if I Fail

Cassady, nice run.

2013-01-21 8:16 AM

User image

Expert

Good Morning: I could use a little advice about a sensative subject.  At the spry young age of 41, I've started to experience problems with my prostate.  I've been to the doctor a few times and they have ruled out cancer but haven't figured the cause of my "enlarged prostate".  Yesterday, I rode my bike and the pain is greater today.  So, I want to be proactive and find a solution to the problem that doesn't involve anything else being stuck inside of me...Yell

So, does any one have any solutions?  I'm thinking 1) new bike seat, 2) riding shorts, 3) maybe a different angle for my seat.  Can anyone think of anything else?  Do you have any suggestions of which types/brands would be best?

Thanks for your advice.

2013-01-21 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4587357

User image

Expert
SportzVision - 2013-01-20 10:01 PM

Donned some dark sunglasses so the sunlight would not hurt the eye infection, (light hurts the worst) and set out for an hour run. Not a great run, I walked 4x, IN THE FIRST MILE!  Only managed a 5K instead of the planned 10K.  Fell short for about 10 mins on my run this week and only 7 mins on the bike...still time to make that up tonight.  Going to do the P90X yoga too.  

Gotta give you props for even going out.  If I had an eye infection, I might whine and not work out for a month...  Gonna do some yoga today... Let's partner up, and get some yoga done this week!

2013-01-21 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4587495

User image

Veteran
Illinois

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  +or-30 miles run
  • bike/swim 2x
 2 deliscious 22's
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia
  •  Lose two pods
  • Lift 3x this week
  • log food
 If I log all my food & pack my lunch this week I get to have the light serving of Beer batter fish n chips at Great Basin.  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared 
  • Tuesday 30 min Jog
  • Thursday - Brick
  • Friday - Bike 15 miles
  • Sunday - Bike 20 miles

mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  4x3 this week - three lifts, three runs, three swims, three spins/bikes
  • Nutrition

Burd Alex 
  • 3x run
  • 3x str workouts

Yakhead  Ian
  •  walk/run 3 times
  • weight train 2 times
  • eat well
  • try to be under 230
  • stretch really well

bobddsmd  Bobby  
 Cassady Doug run 3 hours/bike 3 hours/ swim 2 hours- be under 290 none until under 280
 lp3510 Lenny  
 justinfss Justin

• Swim x2  (including at least one 1/2 Iron distance continuous swim/benchmark time trial)
  • Bike x2
 Buy a premium beer for the rewards shelf, or a coors light for the discipline shelf!
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth
  • Swim 2X
  • Bike 4X – at least one will be outside and one will be a pedal practice session
  • Order my wetsuit
  • try for 154 again

mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Lose 2 Pounds 

IV Cense

or 

Coors Light if I Fail

Cassady, nice run.
2013-01-21 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Ok major fail on the weight loss and nutrition from last week Surprised just weighed in this morning and seems I have gained 4 pounds!  I guess that's not too bad considering the crap I ate and drank through the week.  That junk food was good and so was the scotch, bourbon, wine, and beer Embarassed.  Got to buckle down this week, no eating out, no booze going to get back to losing weight not gaining it!  
2013-01-21 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4587607

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Qua17 - 2013-01-21 8:16 AM

Good Morning: I could use a little advice about a sensative subject.  At the spry young age of 41, I've started to experience problems with my prostate.  I've been to the doctor a few times and they have ruled out cancer but haven't figured the cause of my "enlarged prostate".  Yesterday, I rode my bike and the pain is greater today.  So, I want to be proactive and find a solution to the problem that doesn't involve anything else being stuck inside of me...Yell

So, does any one have any solutions?  I'm thinking 1) new bike seat, 2) riding shorts, 3) maybe a different angle for my seat.  Can anyone think of anything else?  Do you have any suggestions of which types/brands would be best?

Thanks for your advice.

I hope you already have chamois bike shorts or bibs?  If not, start there.  In almost all cases, more expensive bike shorts = better bike shorts, until the prices get to obscene levels.  The chamois are of better material, they wick better, and they stand up to repeated washing better.  Performance's house line is solid, and they may still have a 20% sale going.  Wear them without underwear, and make sure they are form-fitting.

Saddle fitment is equal parts art, science, and trial and error.  I personally prefer my seat nose one notch down parallel (so about 1 degree pointing down and forward from parallel to the ground).  My saddle is also ridiculously far forward, but I ride a 60cm bike that is probably a bit too large for me, and I need to buy a shorter stem (currently a 90mm stem).  I usually start with the saddle all they way forward, and then bring it back in 1cm increments until I am happy with it.

Saddle choice is also lots of voodoo; general theory is to ignore padded saddle and rely on the shorts to do the work for you.  Your sit bones should align to the ears of the chamois and the ears of the saddle, and when you sit up nice and tall in the saddle, the sit bones and spine should be nice, straight, parallel, perpendicular to the saddle and bike centerline - essentially a study in right angles.  

There's also some nose-less saddles out there, so it may be worthwhile to find a website with a great return policy and try some stuff out.

-Charles

2013-01-21 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4587620

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Qua17 - 2013-01-21 8:22 AM
SportzVision - 2013-01-20 10:01 PM

Gotta give you props for even going out.  If I had an eye infection, I might whine and not work out for a month...  Gonna do some yoga today... Let's partner up, and get some yoga done this week!

Thanks, here is the link. It is the full episode.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjA2MzI4OTYw.html  
2013-01-21 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Attempted some yoga last night; only managed about 20 mins.  This morning I am really sore and tired.  Rest day tomorrow and first day of school. I am taking a nutrition course that sounds pretty interesting.  
2013-01-21 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

20/30 done today.

Got in swim, then a bike at the Y today.  Took the kids.  Seems like that should be allowed to be logged as a work out as well, getting a 3 and 7 year old to the gym and back.

Swim was challenging.  I'm not swimming enough to see any improvements, just maintaining till May so that when I do go after it, I won't be starting from scratch.  I was beaten down badly by a gentleman easily 25+ yrs older than I, and I'm no spring chicken.  very humbling.

Bike was an easy spin at gear 14 (0-22), keeping rpm's up above 90 for 30 minutes.  Gym was packed.

Happy Martin Luther King day to all here, and everywhere.  He was a great human.

2013-01-21 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4588295

User image

Expert
kevinbe - 2013-01-21 4:00 PM

20/30 done today.

Got in swim, then a bike at the Y today.  Took the kids.  Seems like that should be allowed to be logged as a work out as well, getting a 3 and 7 year old to the gym and back.

Swim was challenging.  I'm not swimming enough to see any improvements, just maintaining till May so that when I do go after it, I won't be starting from scratch.  I was beaten down badly by a gentleman easily 25+ yrs older than I, and I'm no spring chicken.  very humbling.

Bike was an easy spin at gear 14 (0-22), keeping rpm's up above 90 for 30 minutes.  Gym was packed.

Happy Martin Luther King day to all here, and everywhere.  He was a great human.

Way to get the workouts in with the kids in tow!  I bet if you were to go head to head with that older gentleman in a triathlon - he might pass you on the swim but you'd smoke him on the swim and run!

2013-01-21 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4588098

User image

Expert

SportzVision - 2013-01-21 1:38 PM Attempted some yoga last night; only managed about 20 mins.  This morning I am really sore and tired.  Rest day tomorrow and first day of school. I am taking a nutrition course that sounds pretty interesting.  

Hey Yoga Princess - No yoga today sad to say.  I'm hoping to get it in on Wednesday morning.  Good luck with the class!

2013-01-21 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Got in a really quick swim today. My back was feeling pretty good and I decided to push it a little harder, pretty happy with the effort!

Hoping to get back on the run train here in the next few days, another serssion of acupuncture tomorrow which will probably be the last one for this lower back flair up.

Great looking goals for everyone so far this week, my wife and I decided that we may do a night out on Feb 1st as reward for the month of Paleo. Hello Guinness on Tap!!! As long as I make all my goals and earn the beer with a workout of course!

2013-01-21 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4587691

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
mirthfuldragon - 2013-01-21 12:05 AM
Qua17 - 2013-01-21 8:16 AM

Thanks for your advice.

I hope you already have chamois bike shorts or bibs?  If not, start there.  In almost all cases, more expensive bike shorts = better bike shorts, until the prices get to obscene levels.  The chamois are of better material, they wick better, and they stand up to repeated washing better.  Performance's house line is solid, and they may still have a 20% sale going.  Wear them without underwear, and make sure they are form-fitting.

Saddle fitment is equal parts art, science, and trial and error.  I personally prefer my seat nose one notch down parallel (so about 1 degree pointing down and forward from parallel to the ground).  My saddle is also ridiculously far forward, but I ride a 60cm bike that is probably a bit too large for me, and I need to buy a shorter stem (currently a 90mm stem).  I usually start with the saddle all they way forward, and then bring it back in 1cm increments until I am happy with it.

Saddle choice is also lots of voodoo; general theory is to ignore padded saddle and rely on the shorts to do the work for you.  Your sit bones should align to the ears of the chamois and the ears of the saddle, and when you sit up nice and tall in the saddle, the sit bones and spine should be nice, straight, parallel, perpendicular to the saddle and bike centerline - essentially a study in right angles.  

There's also some nose-less saddles out there, so it may be worthwhile to find a website with a great return policy and try some stuff out.

-Charles

x2 on the bike shorts, I really like my Sugoi's, I have only ever ridden a basic stock, bontrager saddle though.

2013-01-21 10:22 PM
in reply to: #4587495

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Arms had a great workout between yoga, weight training and the swim of 20x 50,(odds RPE 4 and evens RPE 9!) Got it all in but had long  rest between those 50s.  

Lunch is made and packed for tomorrow!

2013-01-21 11:59 PM

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta

Hey All!

Sorry to have been MIA.  I got a promotion in my volunteer job and have been having a terrible time keeping up.  I've almost got my head around it all now.  Fortunately, I just got lazy logging things - but not too lazy about doing it.  

2013-01-22 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4587665

User image

Regular
Bearspaw, Alberta
mirthfuldragon - 2013-01-21 7:53 AM

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  +or-30 miles run
  • bike/swim 2x
 2 deliscious 22's
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia
  •  Lose two pods
  • Lift 3x this week
  • log food
 Wiff Kim
  • Log all my workouts the same day I do them
  • Get myself online more - I need the inspiration right now
  • Plan training for next week (vacation!!)
  • Hit the bike
  • Log my food again

If I make all my workouts and log my food - fancy beer on the weekend.

If I get on here daily and get all my workouts logged on the same day - get a manicure before vacation.

jlangeneJared 
  • Tuesday 30 min Jog
  • Thursday - Brick
  • Friday - Bike 15 miles
  • Sunday - Bike 20 miles

mirthfuldragon Charles 
  • Nutrition

Burd Alex 
  • 3x run
  • 3x str workouts

Yakhead  Ian
  •  walk/run 3 times
  • weight train 2 times
  • eat well
  • try to be under 230
  • stretch really well

bobddsmd  Bobby  
 lp3510 Lenny  
 justinfss Justin

• Bike x2
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth
  • Swim 2X
  • Order my wetsuit
  • try for 154 again

mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Lose 2 Pounds 

IV Cense

or 

Coors Light if I Fail

Cassady, nice run.

2013-01-22 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4588740

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Wiff - 2013-01-22 12:07 AM

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  +or-30 miles run
  • bike/swim 2x
 2 deliscious 22's
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia
  •  Lose two pods
  • Lift 3x this week
  • log food
 Wiff Kim
  • Hit the bike
  • Log my food again

If I get on here daily and get all my workouts logged on the same day - get a manicure before vacation.

jlangeneJared 
  • Tuesday 30 min Jog
  • Thursday - Brick
  • Friday - Bike 15 miles
  • Sunday - Bike 20 miles

mirthfuldragon Charles 
  • Nutrition

Burd Alex 
  • 3x run
  • 3x str workouts

Yakhead  Ian
  •  walk/run 3 times
  • weight train 2 times
  • eat well
  • try to be under 230
  • stretch really well

bobddsmd  Bobby

follow my training plan, continue with more bike

eat clean whole foods

still thinking
 lp3510 Lenny  
 justinfss Justin

• Bike x2
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth
  • Swim 2X
  • Order my wetsuit
  • try for 154 again

mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Lose 2 Pounds 

IV Cense

or 

Coors Light if I Fail

Cassady, nice run.
2013-01-22 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4588833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-01-22 5:34 AM
Wiff - 2013-01-22 12:07 AM

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  +or-30 miles run
  • bike/swim 2x
 2 deliscious 22's
 thor67 Thor
  •  do not play  3 hockey games in 4 days
  • continue on with training of  3/3/2
  • continue rowing
  • continue losing weight

SportzVision Cynthia
  •  Lose two pods
  • Lift 3x this week
  • log food
 Wiff Kim
  • Hit the bike
  • Log my food again

jlangeneJared 
  • Tuesday 30 min Jog
  • Thursday - Brick
  • Friday - Bike 15 miles
  • Sunday - Bike 20 miles

mirthfuldragon Charles 
  • Nutrition

Burd Alex 
  • 3x run
  • 3x str workouts

Yakhead  Ian
  •  walk/run 3 times
  • weight train 2 times
  • eat well
  • try to be under 230
  • stretch really well

bobddsmd  Bobby

follow my training plan, continue with more bike

eat clean whole foods

still thinking
 lp3510 Lenny  
 justinfss Justin

• Bike x2
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth
  • Swim 2X
  • Order my wetsuit
  • try for 154 again

mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Lose 2 Pounds 

IV Cense

or 

Coors Light if I Fail

Cassady, nice run.
2013-01-22 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Hey everybody, good to see everyone on track! Hit the wall last week with training/hockey/lack of sleep/coaching my kids/life! I was wiped out after Thursday's workouts/hockey. Just continued through the weekend. Of course it didn't help to play a couple more late hockey games. I cannot sleep in. 7am is sleeping in for me...

On the positive side of the ledger I felt great at spin class this morning! I crushed it!

My rant for the day...3 people who talk loudly NONSTOP through the spin class! Generally if you are working during the drills you probably don't want to talk. If you want to socialize, then go sit on the recumbent bikes and talk...

Okay got that out of my system!

Going to try organize a group cycle trainer ride at our gym for triathlon club and any cyclists as well! Perhaps a cold beverage afterward.

2013-01-22 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4588978

User image

Veteran
Illinois
thor67 - 2013-01-22 8:29 AM

On the positive side of the ledger I felt great at spin class this morning! I crushed it!

My rant for the day...3 people who talk loudly NONSTOP through the spin class! Generally if you are working during the drills you probably don't want to talk. If you want to socialize, then go sit on the recumbent bikes and talk...

I can't stand those people.  There's a few in every class, and I spent almost as much effort trying to zone them out as I do in the actual class.  And then they whine about not losing weight, despite the fact that they haven't broken a sweat in the three years they've been coming to spin.

I also can't stand the Tuesday instructor.  Her gear counts are all over the place, and I can barely follow along, and I know she isn't following her own rules if she can talk and shout and sing during the whole class.  Her workouts are also full of crap like standing sprints at 110rpm, which is just stupid in my mind.  The real question, though, is why I bother to go on Tuesdays . . . 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97