BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-03-27 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

Fred, great to hear from you!  Glad your training is going well.  Anything over an hour on the trainer deserves some serious congratulations!  I'm unfortunately with you re: falling off the crunch challenge wagon.

Mike, glad you are addressing your injury proactively.  Ha, maybe we are all getting smarter about that.  My podiatrist congratulated me for not being stupid this time, and I took it (mostly) as a compliment .

I'm enjoying getting back to the variety of tri training.  Not training for a particular race, just rebuilding using the BT beginnger HIM plan.  Will do a bike rally or two, and then hubby & I are planning a 25th anniversary trip to Vancouver in May, so I guess I'm in training for that .

Edited by squirt 2013-03-27 8:03 AM

2013-03-27 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
So, I'm back and its positive news. No need to do a full stop, but was told to cut back this week, and make any runs a nice run/walk combo. He also commented my feet point out so much already there's no need to make anything potentially worse . Biking is OK, although don't hammer it at high cadence, and swimming is fine, just watch the wall push offs. From here we'll see how it goes, and train smart. Also have some exercises to start doing in addition, and some new foam roller things to try out.
2013-03-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4676206

User image

Expert

Mike_D - 2013-03-27 9:13 AM So, I'm back and its positive news. No need to do a full stop, but was told to cut back this week, and make any runs a nice run/walk combo. He also commented my feet point out so much already there's no need to make anything potentially worse . Biking is OK, although don't hammer it at high cadence, and swimming is fine, just watch the wall push offs. From here we'll see how it goes, and train smart. Also have some exercises to start doing in addition, and some new foam roller things to try out.

Great to hear Mike! 

I am taking it easy this week. Some light running and swimming. Going to get on my trainer today. It's been very chilly for Florida, and I feel bad for the spring breakers. Definitely not swimming weather.

I'm going to do a month long maintenance program and do some interval workouts in all three sports. I'll do some hilly rides on the bike to build strength. My friends at work want to do Insanity workout so I will supplement with this 3 days a week, for fun. 

Hope everyone is well!

2013-03-28 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Thanks,  Kate! Glad you are recovering well.

I'm a bit sore this AM from the PT session on my hip/leg yesterday, and have another one at 2 PM today. Plan on an hour on the trainer tonight, and a run tomorrow AM. I've been on the shelf since Monday, and am really itching to get out. My wife is also looking forward to it, as I can get a bit grumpy apparently when I don't get active for a couple days

Found out today my masters swim class is being replaced with another masters class that starts 1/2 hour earlier. This is moving to the Y from another nearby pool, so I don't know how many may be involved, etc. Bummer I'll be losing my current coach who is just awesome, but she has told me the new guy is great, and its someone she knows who is a big local tri guy, so here's to a new swim experience starting next week.
2013-03-28 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
OK, understatement of the year in my prior post -- the swim instructor, aka "some big local tri guy" is in fact Andy Noble, former world champion duathlete, and pro triathlete. So, maybe he knows what is going on.....
2013-03-28 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Kate, that sounds like a good change of pace for you.  Sounds smart after having gone long for quite a while to work on strength/speed.

Mike, glad you are not having to stop completely.  And wow, yes, sounds like your masters swim is in good hands!  That's really exciting!

Swam again yesterday, and felt less fishy, but got it done.  Also realizing I need to face the fact that whatever it is in my glute that gets messed up (still not sure if it's piriformis/glute med/both) is really not any better even after not running for a few weeks.  Flared up last week after I stressed it out with some yoga that included pigeon stretch.  Yesterday, some pain down my leg while just sitting in my office chair working.  Running, and to a lesser extent, cycling aggravate it as well. Ugh!  Not sure if I should do another round of ART/PT at the chiro or what?

2013-03-28 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4674375

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Pink Socks - 2013-03-26 4:31 AM

Crunch challenge: {Ken, I think you and I are the only ones left but anyone else jump in if I'm wrong.}

Pam - 84 for 84

Ken - 86 for 86 now.

Sorry for the lack of posting lately.  Have been incredibly busy at work and it has been a struggle to get out and do anything.  

Carol - I really hate that you had a flare up of the injury.  I hope that ART or the PT will be able to help.  

Kate - You are such a rock star.  You deserve to take it easy.  I love stress free maintenance work.  Time to work on speed.  

Mike, Good luck with your new masters class.  I am sure you will rock it.  

2013-03-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4677753

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Mike_D - 2013-03-28 10:53 AM OK, understatement of the year in my prior post -- the swim instructor, aka "some big local tri guy" is in fact Andy Noble, former world champion duathlete, and pro triathlete. So, maybe he knows what is going on.....

Thanks for the laugh Mike   Hopefully, everyone is doing well.  I'm fighting a case of the blah's right now....just tired of being gimpy.  Taking the rest of the week off and coming back strong dietwise and exercise wise on Monday!

2013-03-28 4:49 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
After a couple of days in San Diego, 2- 12 hour days at Disneyland, our vacation has landed in Oceanside for Saturdays race. Weather is shaping up to be perfect so I am excited about that. I did get one open water swim in San Diego so I was very happy. It was my first swim in a new full wetsuit and all went well. I need to focus on going easy out of the gate. I can't wait until Saturday!
2013-03-28 6:14 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Good luck Brian!  Hope you have a great race.  Nice to get the OWS jitters out with a practice swim like you did.

Ken, great job on the crunch challenge!

Jay, you're entitled to a bit of blah time.  Hope you enjoy some other aspects of life over the weekend!

Riding bikes with hubby tomorrow...heading over to the Trinity Trails system.  Plan to strategically park at a trailhead near a restaurant so we will have a place to eat after the ride.

Speaking of the long weekend, just wanted to wish everyone a great Easter!

2013-03-28 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Mike, glad that you aren't down and out and can continue training.  See if that new swim instructor can teach you anything.  Wink

Carol, I hope you can find the problem and get it resolved.  It sucks when things keep popping up and you aren't sure of how and who should address it.

Brian, good luck with your race.

Folks, hubby and I are struggling.  We have a tri this weekend and the weather is cold for us and we are both weenies regarding the cold.  We are both going back and forth on what we should do.  Part of me would be so happy if I just slept in, went to my son's ballgame on time, and then got ready for Easter.  The other part says to start and just go until I can't.  It will be my first OWS of the year, first swim ever in wetsuit, water temp in the 60s, first time stripping wetsuit, hilly bike course, trail run (where I have fallen many times) on my PF ridden feet.  Crap, I think I just made my decision.  Gotta try, don't I?

Jay, I'm so sorry my friend!  I'll do as much as I can this weekend for you.  I may not finish but I'll start for you.

Happy Easter everyone!

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-03-28 7:56 PM

2013-03-28 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
New class starts Monday so ill give a full report.Did a nice 1 hour interval set on the trainer this afternoon. Felt good. Leg is OK. I love the Sufferfest!!Tomorrow is a strength training session, a run, and hopefully a swim as well.Racing in Oceanside sounds awesome!

Edited by Mike_D 2013-03-28 8:17 PM
2013-03-28 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4678634

User image

Expert
Pink Socks - 2013-03-28 8:53 PM

Gotta try, don't I?

Yes. You do. If you don't you'll regret it. I think you'll have fun. What are you gonna wear?

2013-03-28 11:39 PM
in reply to: #4678634

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Gotta try, don't I?
My rule whenever I don't feel like working out is to go do it for 10 mins. If after 10 minutes I'm not having fun then I let myself throw in the towel. More times than not I usually start to enjoy the run or whatever - I do out and back runs so I'd have to run 10 minutes back anyway. I dont tell myself this when i start tho . Go give it a try. If you just feel blah after the swim, grab your bike, strap it on the car and call it a day. No shame in that. At least you tried.

Brian, sounds like you and the family are having a great time. Enjoy the race and the nice, warm, sunny weather I'm sure you are experiencing.

Everyone else, have a happy Easter if you celebrate it and continue all your hard work.

Edited by Antwonathon 2013-03-29 11:41 AM
2013-03-29 12:02 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Does anyone else get a headache when swimming? I've been getting them towards the end of my longer swims. They feel like i drank a whole bottle of cheap tequila the night before, and now i have the most terrible hangover. then i wait 5 mins and its gone. I usually breathe bilaterally and find I don't have enough air to exhale during the last stroke. So tonight I tried breathing with a 3-2 pattern and it seemed to help. Swam 600 yards nonstop and had just a little headache at the end. Am I not relaxed enough with my breathing, or is it more of a pacing issue? Maybe a bit of both? Hopefully no one else has/had this problem, but if you did or if you have some insight please share.
2013-03-29 1:11 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Mike doh... and things were starting to come along for you /cry.

Head issues can be cold water, mild equilibrium issues or ya could be working harder than the amount of air you are breathing.  I would bounce the ideas off your coach/masters swim coach type person. 

Edited by Baowolf 2013-03-29 1:21 AM

2013-03-29 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
No crying for me, Steve!!  First tri is in 10 weeks and I'll do what I can to get ready to smack it down. If that means I run/walk much of the run, so be it. But I will finish. Just need to be sure I don't blow up the rest of the year with this hamstring thing. I am going out for a easy jog/walk later. Then maybe some swimming. Then buying my 10 year old a bike.

Hope you feel better.
2013-03-29 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Anthony, this idea is a little off the wall, but are your goggles possibly too tight?  I had a bad headache after my swim last week, and I think that was it.  Maybe a diffferent kind of headache you are experiencing though.

Pam, sounds like you will have an adventure tomorrow!  LOL, I think we need to have a talk about "nothing new on race day".  Can you get in the water before your swim?  Highly recommend both for getting past the cold water shock, and feeling out the wetsuit.  Have you tried it on yet?  If not, word to the wise...pull up...and then pull up some more at each step of putting it on so it doesn't pull down on your shoulders too much.  A little pam spray around the ankles before you put it on helps too.  And find those wetsuit strippers after the swim...yeah baby!  Have fun, and you will no doubt come back with some great stories!

A Steve sighting!  How are you doing?

Waiting for traffic to clear to load up the bikes and head over to ride.  Got some bad news from an old friend this morning...one of those life is not only not fair, but totally backwards and wrong kind of things.  Perhaps a good way to remember what Good Friday is all about, and that my hope as well as hers, is found in Christ, and not based on the things of this world. 

2013-03-29 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Carol - I didn't think about that. I wear a swim cap sometimes, and last night I did not wear it. However, Wednesday I did and the headache was there. Might be on to something.

Found out we get out of work at 2:00 today, and it is 45 degrees outside. I think a bike ride is calling my name. Gonna hurry home and get it done before all the crazy drivers get done with work.

Edited by Antwonathon 2013-03-29 11:45 AM
2013-03-29 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Carol, so sorry about the bad news for your friend!

Anthony, I have swum all of my life without goggles or swim cap and now that I'm trying to do it, it has been an adjustment.  Headache at first and I still have problems with the cap covering the ears.  Hope that the cap is the issue.

Ok, hubby and I went swimming in the lake today.  Glad we did!  Folks I've never worn a wetsuit before and bought mine last Nov.  Tried it on and then tried on another time but our weather has not been condusive to me wanting to go try it out.  Put it on today and it was a struggle.  Also felt like it was pulling the tri-shorts up in an uncomfortable way so will try to correct that tomorrow.  I wade in and think that it's perfectly ok.  Then at waist level, I realize I'm all wet.  Silly me thought the wetsuit would keep me dry.  Adjusted to that and then began swimming.  My suit is sleeveless and so then the water really began pouring in.  Ew, I had to take a few moments.  But then I finally calmed down and realized I can handle the water temp and the wetsuit.  Now I still have all of my other OWS issues and high on that list is CONTACT. 

Afterwards went to packet pickup in my wet clothes.  I'm last flight (Good because temps will rise some but bad because it will make my swim warmup more difficult).  I was also dismayed to find that they put us 50+ women with Athena/Clydes so now I'm afraid of the contact even more.  But thankfully, I'm so slow that shouldn't be an issue.  I'll be deadlast out of the water and while that hurts my feelings, I can live with it.

2013-03-29 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Way to go Pam! OWS is also a bit of a challenge for me. Not so much with the contact, but more the not knowing where I am going and what is down below me. But as Mike's signature says, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do". Hopefully people aren't all over the place so you can settle in and have fun.

Brian - Best wishes on your race tomorrow! Stay safe and have fun day! 

Just finished up the bike ride. 23.9 miles and according to Strava it was 300 more feet of elevation gain than REV3 Knoxville. Who knows how accurate that is, but it makes me feel good. Laughing I didn't feel as strong climbing or on the flats as I did last summer, but that will change as the weather gets nicer. I can't get off the bike once the weather is nice. Well I suppose I should wash the bike off. Lots of water on the roads today.

Oh and some plastic grocery bags inside my cycling shoes really helped keep my toes warm. I wish I could see how cool I look! Cool

Edited by Antwonathon 2013-03-29 4:45 PM

2013-03-30 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Quick checkin but I've got to go start Easter prep.  Finished the tri and that's about all I've got to say for now.  I did pretty lousy but it's done.  Hope Brian's tri went well for him.

Happy Easter everyone!!!

2013-03-30 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4680143

User image

Expert
Pink Socks - 2013-03-30 4:32 PM

Quick checkin but I've got to go start Easter prep.  Finished the tri and that's about all I've got to say for now.  I did pretty lousy but it's done.  Hope Brian's tri went well for him.

Happy Easter everyone!!!

Great job Pam!!! That you did it, and finished, even when you weren't sure if you wanted to, is totally awesome. 

2013-03-30 5:52 PM

User image

Expert

I tracked brian on Ironman Athlete Tracker and he finished in 05:39:12.

Way to go Brian!!!

2013-03-30 6:40 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Thanks everyone, it was an amazing day. Goal was 5:45 so very excited to beat that. Smoked my swim, did what I thought I could do on the bike, run felt great to about the 9 mile mark which was expected based on my training. I pulled through it with only walking aid stations. Finished 151 out of 387 in my age group and that goal was the top 50%. I will do a full report later. Pretty sore now but hot tub and few beers will fix that.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52