BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 440

2013-10-04 3:28 PM
in reply to: switch

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes)
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by rrrunner
Originally posted by cdban66

TJ, I set mine up at 2750, with a +/- of 275. That way, I can see that I am on target most days and if I go over that, it shows up in the red. I don't recall seeing the Pink color on there. There is the break down graph as well, proteins, carbs and fats, but I see no pink color on it either. Did you find the "Activity Level" field?  I found I really had to play with it to get familiar with it and feel it is useful. And I only track when I "Need" to, which is now, for example.

Am I the only one who ends up posting a blank message about 1/2 the time when I hit enter to start a new line?

Anyway... maybe I should use a more specific nutrition program to get the detail I "need" right now

Only you can answer that. What are you after from a logging and reporting standpoint? My use of these sort of things is limited to BCBS and BT. BCBS sux, big time, BTW.

I used Livestrong a few years ago when I was trying to lose a BUNCH of weight. Worked pretty well. I'm looking at it in the App Store and there is a cloud where the price would normally be. What the heck is that about?

ETA: DS2 says that means I bought it already. Hmph, who knew

All this talk of logging food is making me feel compelled to confess:

I just ate close to 1300 calories at lunch, 470 of which were an ice cream sandwich between two chocolate chip cookies.

Sad part?  I'm still kinda hungry ;P

Swimming make me want to eat my arm.

Aaaand? Wink

2013-10-04 3:28 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So the email came in from RnR Denver with all the final detail stuff. I'm pretty stoked but still trying to not get my hopes up in case I can't go. There were a couple things I found interesting.

First was thatthe aid station with Gu is at 10.7 for a HM?! Guess I'll be bringing my own Gu.

Next was the "pace teams". I was thinking of trying to follow a pacer for 2:15. Never done that before but not sure how that would work since I signed up for a 2:20 time.  Here is there info on pace teams:

PACE TEAM

We’ve partnered with Runner’s Edge of the Rockies to provide the Official Pace Team for the race. Experienced pacers will help you reach the finish line at your goal time. Pace Teams are FREE and open to all participants. Visit the Runner’s Edge of the Rockies booth at the Expo to join a Pace Team. Pace groups offered include:

Half Marathon: 1:30, 1:40, 1:50, 2:00, 2:15, and 2:30

2013-10-04 3:29 PM

User image

Seattle

TJ, I set mine up at 2750, with a +/- of 275. That way, I can see that I am on target most days and if I go over that, it shows up in the red. I don't recall seeing the Pink color on there. There is the break down graph as well, proteins, carbs and fats, but I see no pink color on it either. Did you find the "Activity Level" field?  I found I really had to play with it to get familiar with it and feel it is useful. And I only track when I "Need" to, which is now, for example.

Am I the only one who ends up posting a blank message about 1/2 the time when I hit enter to start a new line?

Anyway... maybe I should use a more specific nutrition program to get the detail I "need" right now

Only you can answer that. What are you after from a logging and reporting standpoint? My use of these sort of things is limited to BCBS and BT. BCBS sux, big time, BTW.

I used Livestrong a few years ago when I was trying to lose a BUNCH of weight. Worked pretty well. I'm looking at it in the App Store and there is a cloud where the price would normally be. What the heck is that about?

ETA: DS2 says that means I bought it already. Hmph, who knew

All this talk of logging food is making me feel compelled to confess:

I just ate close to 1300 calories at lunch, 470 of which were an ice cream sandwich between two chocolate chip cookies.

Sad part?  I'm still kinda hungry ;P

Swimming make me want to eat my arm.

Great. Now I'm hungry.

Running makes me want to eat a house.

2013-10-04 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

So the email came in from RnR Denver with all the final detail stuff. I'm pretty stoked but still trying to not get my hopes up in case I can't go. There were a couple things I found interesting.

First was thatthe aid station with Gu is at 10.7 for a HM?! Guess I'll be bringing my own Gu.

Next was the "pace teams". I was thinking of trying to follow a pacer for 2:15. Never done that before but not sure how that would work since I signed up for a 2:20 time.  Here is there info on pace teams:

PACE TEAM

We’ve partnered with Runner’s Edge of the Rockies to provide the Official Pace Team for the race. Experienced pacers will help you reach the finish line at your goal time. Pace Teams are FREE and open to all participants. Visit the Runner’s Edge of the Rockies booth at the Expo to join a Pace Team. Pace groups offered include:

Pacers generally have some way of identifying themselves (sometime they carry a flag, sometimes it's on a shirt or both)

I've never seen a race where you have to "register" with a pace team. You just catch up to them (or start with them) and run with them. So, your projected finishing time was probably just to put you in the correct starting coral. However, often they are at the expo (as noted above) and you can chat with the leaders about their strategy etc.

I am guessing the 2:15 and 2:20 will be in the same corral, but if for some reason they are not, the paces are similar enough you will catch up with them naturally (unless the corral starts obscenely later, but I doubt it)

As for actually using a pace team? I can't say a solid yes or a solid no. I often see pace teams NOT hit their pace and I often see them running really inconsistently, as the pacers are human, just like you and I. There is also the element of running as a pack, that can be advantageous but it can also be challenging and a little intimidating. If you don't have any experience with this, you may want to get some before the race or wait until another time to run with a pace group. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-10-04 3:35 PM
2013-10-04 3:36 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55 I am getting very pumped for my race.  Masters has me in a good swimming place mentally, and I biked to Gretna then rode the GTN
course Sunday (read:hilly similar to Half Full race course) which has me in a good mental biking place and I’m OK with the run, too.  The weather has me excited (hey, it won't be 40 degrees and raining) and getting to have other friends around racing and spectating is getting me amped up, too.  My crazy friend Mo has a possibly partially torn ligament in her shoulder (not labral tear as they first thought) and is determined to race.  Personally I really don’t see the sense in risking further damage and pain, but whatever, it’s her arm! 

I'm happy that you're so excited for this race, but what exactly is a half full?

Ha! Thanks for asking her. Sounds like a great race, Mel. Your enthusiasm bubbleth over
2013-10-04 3:38 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

I'm kind of in the same boat as Ben. I want to get faster.  I went out on a limb in COJ a few weeks ago and laid out some pretty specific goals, but in thinking about goal setting more, I'm not sure that's how I should be framing things in my mind.  What I said it COJ is that I would like to qualify for Worlds in both the Oly and 70.3 distances (I have specific goal times for these in my head, though others have cautioned me against this.  I can't help it.) and qualify for Boston. 

Any one of those things would be a significant "reach" for me, but all three would be a coup. I am turning 40 next year, mid life crisis, party of one...

In thinking about these goals more, I am thinking I should reframe them a bit, as I could have good tri races for me, but still not qualify, depending on who shows up.  It would be silly to be bent out of shape about that.  So, I'm going to try to get faster, and hopefully that will result in me placing well in my races--aging up won't hurt either

To do this I need to do a few things:

• Be consistent in all three sports.
  • Be very careful about doing non SBR things that build lean body mass.
  • Be careful with my diet and see where my body weight gravitates while properly fueling for training but not over indulging.  I "think" I would be faster if I could lose 10lbs, but I have never been that light in my adult life and I don't know if that's realistic.  I probably need to do better meal and snack planning to support this goal.
  • I need to be better about my sleep.  I need to make this a priority for recovery, sickness prevention, and stress reduction.
  • I need to remember to have a purpose for each training session.  Salty, this was such a gift you gave me.  Thank you. xo.
  • Try to do these things while minimizing the impact on my family.

Something I meant to ask earlier since you seem to really be into various "World's" events, are you looking at things outside of those two? There is Nats for Long Course (70.3, really) which then goes ITU Worlds Long Course, not to be confused with WTC's World Championship. Plus others like a few duathlon distances. Sprint, Standard, Long. Long seems a bit odd as it's often similar to an oly here (10k/40k/5k), but World's is like 10k/150k/30k.

She can be the world champion of all things world champion

2013-10-04 3:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by brigby1

I'm kind of in the same boat as Ben. I want to get faster.  I went out on a limb in COJ a few weeks ago and laid out some pretty specific goals, but in thinking about goal setting more, I'm not sure that's how I should be framing things in my mind.  What I said it COJ is that I would like to qualify for Worlds in both the Oly and 70.3 distances (I have specific goal times for these in my head, though others have cautioned me against this.  I can't help it.) and qualify for Boston. 

Any one of those things would be a significant "reach" for me, but all three would be a coup. I am turning 40 next year, mid life crisis, party of one...

In thinking about these goals more, I am thinking I should reframe them a bit, as I could have good tri races for me, but still not qualify, depending on who shows up.  It would be silly to be bent out of shape about that.  So, I'm going to try to get faster, and hopefully that will result in me placing well in my races--aging up won't hurt either

To do this I need to do a few things:

• Be consistent in all three sports.
  • Be very careful about doing non SBR things that build lean body mass.
  • Be careful with my diet and see where my body weight gravitates while properly fueling for training but not over indulging.  I "think" I would be faster if I could lose 10lbs, but I have never been that light in my adult life and I don't know if that's realistic.  I probably need to do better meal and snack planning to support this goal.
  • I need to be better about my sleep.  I need to make this a priority for recovery, sickness prevention, and stress reduction.
  • I need to remember to have a purpose for each training session.  Salty, this was such a gift you gave me.  Thank you. xo.
  • Try to do these things while minimizing the impact on my family.

Something I meant to ask earlier since you seem to really be into various "World's" events, are you looking at things outside of those two? There is Nats for Long Course (70.3, really) which then goes ITU Worlds Long Course, not to be confused with WTC's World Championship. Plus others like a few duathlon distances. Sprint, Standard, Long. Long seems a bit odd as it's often similar to an oly here (10k/40k/5k), but World's is like 10k/150k/30k.

I don't really know much about anything--I'm now officially starting my second year of training. Lol.Seriously, the amount I don't know and don't understand is a little daunting.

I don't know what the appeal of "Worlds" events are--I think it's really just the idea of working towards a time and then doing well enough in a race to qualify for the next thing.  That's the competitive dork in me--I'll be happy if I get a good time, but there's something about making "the cut" which is a huge carrot in the thick of a race.

I just heard about Nats for Long Course, but ITU long course? Is that a draft legal format?  In which case, I would be out, as the idea of riding that way is terrifying.  I think my bike (a Shiv) doesn't meet ITU standards either.  OK, both of these things I kinda feel like I'm pulling out of my azz, so I could be way wrong on both counts.

I've never done a DU, but I should probably try one sometime, as swimming is definitely my weakest link.  the "long" Worlds DU sounds tough--10k/150k/30k.  I'm probably a couple of years of base away from trying anything like that.  Are you considering it?  How do you pick your races, Ben?

The Worlds things that are in places like France?? I'm not sure I could ever get ready to ride like that while living in Iowa

2013-10-04 3:40 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by Asalzwed

PACE TEAM

Pacers generally have some way of identifying themselves (sometime they carry a flag, sometimes it's on a shirt or both)

I've never seen a race where you have to "register" with a pace team. You just catch up to them (or start with them) and run with them. So, your projected finishing time was probably just to put you in the correct starting coral. However, often they are at the expo (as noted above) and you can chat with the leaders about their strategy etc.

I am guessing the 2:15 and 2:20 will be in the same corral, but if for some reason they are not, the paces are similar enough you will catch up with them naturally (unless the corral starts obscenely later, but I doubt it)

As for actually using a pace team? I can't say a solid yes or a solid no. I often see pace teams NOT hit their pace and I often see them running really inconsistently, as the pacers are human, just like you and I. There is also the element of running as a pack, that can be advantageous but it can also be challenging and a little intimidating. If you don't have any experience with this, you may want to get some before the race or wait until another time to run with a pace group. 

Mmmmm. Good points. I guess I thought of them as some brilliant runner that has it all figured out Laughing Maybe I'll talk to them, find out what corral they are in (i'm in 12, DS2 is in 6) and utilize it if it works out but not depend on it for my race day.

Thanks!!!!!!

2013-10-04 3:43 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'M A STUPID COMPETITIVE DORK, OK?!

Damn it, people. Can't you just let me have my mid-life crisis and train myself into the ground?

For fach's sake;P

2013-10-04 3:44 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by melbo55 I am getting very pumped for my race.  Masters has me in a good swimming place mentally, and I biked to Gretna then rode the GTN
course Sunday (read:hilly similar to Half Full race course) which has me in a good mental biking place and I’m OK with the run, too.  The weather has me excited (hey, it won't be 40 degrees and raining) and getting to have other friends around racing and spectating is getting me amped up, too.  My crazy friend Mo has a possibly partially torn ligament in her shoulder (not labral tear as they first thought) and is determined to race.  Personally I really don’t see the sense in risking further damage and pain, but whatever, it’s her arm! 

I'm happy that you're so excited for this race, but what exactly is a half full?

Ha! Thanks for asking her. Sounds like a great race, Mel. Your enthusiasm bubbleth over

Go Melanie!

I'm very excited to read this RR.  We'll be thinking of you. xo!

2013-10-04 3:45 PM

User image

Seattle

I'M A STUPID COMPETITIVE DORK, OK?!

Damn it, people. Can't you just let me have my mid-life crisis and train myself into the ground?

For fach's sake;P

Reach for the stars, my dear Laughing

heh heh heh just teasing. You know I want to be just like you when I grow up, so be a good example, k?

2013-10-04 3:51 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

PACE TEAM

Mmmmm. Good points. I guess I thought of them as some brilliant runner that has it all figured out Laughing Maybe I'll talk to them, find out what corral they are in (i'm in 12, DS2 is in 6) and utilize it if it works out but not depend on it for my race day.

Thanks!!!!!!

I've used a pace group on 2 marathons.  They did ask that people sign up for both, but it was not a mandatory thing and I did not sign up either time.  Both times the pacers were really conscience of the pace and had target times written down. The first time I ran I stayed with the group until about mile 19 and then, since I was feeling ok, picked up the pace and finished about 4-5 minutes ahead of the group.  Pacer was cool with people doing that and talked about how to use the group to something like that to get a PR.  THe group itself was nice to run with as it gave you people to chat with over the long miles.   Some of the time it was chattier than others.  I saw the group come in and spoke to some of the runners and they seem to have hit their time on the nose.  Second time, I bailed on the marathon as I was apparently not over the crud I had picked up a few days before and ran a 14 miler, so I can't comment on how the pacer hit or didn't hit the goal time.

2013-10-04 3:54 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by melbo55

Half Full is the name of the race - Rev3 Half Full.  Rev3 donates their people, equipment and services (totally free) to help put on the race to raise money for Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults.  Half Full refers to 'glass half full' or optimism [of beating cancer].  The 70 miles of the half distance race, also taking place the same day/time, represents the 70,000 young adults diagnosed with cancer each year.  The race features survivors racing as well as cheering racers on as they start and finish the race.  Very powerful, moving, inspiring race.

I'm racing as part of Team Fight which raises money for the UCF via fundraising and we race with their kits, etc.

That's great!  So, are you doing the half distance or is there another distance offered as well.  Sorry if I missed this discussion elsewhere!!

2013-10-04 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Sad news (for me) manatees - I am back home   Paradise Lost.  Now my dog is staring me down in an effort to get me to take him for a walk.  He wins.  We're off to mark the neighborhood.
2013-10-04 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

PACE TEAM

Thanks!!!!!!

I've used a pace group on 2 marathons.  They did ask that people sign up for both, but it was not a mandatory thing and I did not sign up either time.  Both times the pacers were really conscience of the pace and had target times written down. The first time I ran I stayed with the group until about mile 19 and then, since I was feeling ok, picked up the pace and finished about 4-5 minutes ahead of the group.  Pacer was cool with people doing that and talked about how to use the group to something like that to get a PR.  THe group itself was nice to run with as it gave you people to chat with over the long miles.   Some of the time it was chattier than others.  I saw the group come in and spoke to some of the runners and they seem to have hit their time on the nose.  Second time, I bailed on the marathon as I was apparently not over the crud I had picked up a few days before and ran a 14 miler, so I can't comment on how the pacer hit or didn't hit the goal time.

The PR pacing is kinda what I was looking for. The group might help push me as well.

2013-10-04 4:04 PM

User image

Seattle

PACE TEAM

Thanks!!!!!!

The PR pacing is kinda what I was looking for. The group might help push me as well.

Just curious, a 5 minute difference is quite a bit. Was the 2:20 just a ball park? 

2013-10-04 4:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

PACE TEAM

Thanks!!!!!!

Just curious, a 5 minute difference is quite a bit. Was the 2:20 just a ball park? 

It was. My stand alone HM PR is 2:21:XX so that's what I based on. I signed up in April when I was just coming off of O'side. I did my last long run (12.13) in 1:58:08 and my shorter runs have been in the 9min/mile range so I'd like to push for the 2:15. Too much?

Edited by rrrunner 2013-10-04 4:18 PM
2013-10-04 4:25 PM

User image

Seattle

PACE TEAM

Thanks!!!!!!

It was. My stand alone HM PR is 2:21:XX so that's what I based on. I signed up in April when I was just coming off of O'side. I did my last long run (12.13) in 1:58:08 and my shorter runs have been in the 9min/mile range so I'd like to push for the 2:15. Too much?

Given that information, I would say it's a very realistic goal. 

2013-10-04 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

PACE TEAM

Thanks!!!!!!

Yay! Happy dance!!! Laughing

2013-10-04 4:30 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

PACE TEAM

Thanks!!!!!!

What am I missing? Was your long run on similar terrain to the race?  You  got aid stations, you got race adrenaline, you got some miles under your belt, and a little tapa'-- cough2:08cough.

2013-10-04 4:34 PM

User image

Seattle

PACE TEAM

Thanks!!!!!!

What am I missing? Was your long run on similar terrain to the race?  You  got aid stations, you got race adrenaline, you got some miles under your belt, and a little tapa'-- cough2:08cough.

goddammitelesa! (add that to the dictionary, please)

2013-10-04 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Bwahahaha!

OK, OK, listen, I'm outta control. Listen to Salty.

cough2:10cough?

2013-10-04 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, seriously, Salty:

I did my last long run (12.13) in 1:58:08 and my shorter runs have been in the 9min/mile range so I'd like to push for the 2:15. Too much?

She did a training run of 12.13 in 1:58?  If you didn't know anything else but that, what would you say she should pace for?

2013-10-04 4:54 PM

User image

Seattle

OK, seriously, Salty:

I did my last long run (12.13) in 1:58:08 and my shorter runs have been in the 9min/mile range so I'd like to push for the 2:15. Too much?

She did a training run of 12.13 in 1:58?  If you didn't know anything else but that, what would you say she should pace for?

I'd have a lot of questions before I would give her an exact pace. Smile

2013-10-04 4:57 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, seriously, Salty:

I'd have a lot of questions before I would give her an exact pace. Smile

damnresponsiblesmartypants :)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors 2013: CLOSED (exc/ Pop Tart bribes) Rss Feed  

of 440