BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2010-11-02 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's mentor group is Closed!

My October numbers are embarrasing.

So, on another note:

My Powertap is being shipped this week.  Once I get it, what else do i need/want to get some good eval out of it (once I hop back on the bike).

2010-11-02 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3190745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2010-11-02 12:12 PM

So, on another note:

My Powertap is being shipped this week.  Once I get it, what else do i need/want to get some good eval out of it (once I hop back on the bike).

What computer did you get?  You'll need to get some software to analyze the files.   I use WKO+ and Todd uses Golden Cheetah.  Not sure what other people have.  WKO is nice because you can track everything not just cycling but it's 120 bucks whereas GT is free but only does cycling.
2010-11-02 11:28 PM
in reply to: #3192034

User image

Master
cornfed - 2010-11-02 8:11 PM

So, on another note:

What computer did you get?  You'll need to get some software to analyze the files.   I use WKO+ and Todd uses Golden Cheetah.  Not sure what other people have.  WKO is nice because you can track everything not just cycling but it's 120 bucks whereas GT is free but only does cycling.

Another vote for Golden Cheetah.  Get the latest development build.  Nothing to lose - its free!
2010-11-03 7:56 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Man, all you goobs w/ your power meters and toys....

I do wish that was one thing my power meter did - access a computer. instead post ride it gives max & avg, but I can't lap it...

Maybe one day a PT will come falling out of the heavens for me
2010-11-03 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3192034

User image

Expert
Alabama
cornfed - 2010-11-02 8:11 PM

So, on another note:

I've currently have a garmin 305, but the Joule 2.0 will come with the PT.
2010-11-03 8:09 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
If I may, I'd like to brag a wee bit.

I've been gone to KY for the last 7weeks and then had a fairly large work related exam at the end of October. So, needless to say, my training has been lackluster. I managed to get in a few runs and a couple of bike rides while gone.

While I was gone, I made it a point to strongly watch what I ate knowing I wasn't training so much.

I came home and started getting dressed for work only to notice my khaki's didn't fit. My suit pants didn't fit. My blue jeans didn't fit. My dress shirts didn't fit. Everything was HUGE! My belt is pulled as tight as it'll go without me having to punch a new hole.

My wife remarked that I MUST go clothes shopping this weekend because I look like a bum with clothes 3 sizes too big. My 34jeans have a good 2 inches of extra waist. I can pull on and pull off my 36 dress pants with them buttoned. The neck in my dress shirts is a good 1/2" too big too.

And the funny thing, I still weigh in at 168. Weight wise, since I've started tri's I've dropped a little over 30lbs. My bodyfat has come down to the mid-high teens. I think I would like to get down to around 155-160 and hold there.

This feeling is absolutely amazing!

Another note on the same topic... my wife dropped our little girl off at the church daycare this morning. The preacher was there chatting it up with everyone when she got there. He actually asked if I was feeling alright because I looked skinny Sunday when he saw me. He was hoping that I wasn't fighting something and was still healthy.

Now, according to Mark's rule, doesn't that mean I'm within 10lbs to go? I can't remember how you're phrase went...

But, I've been pretty excited and thought I'd share a little bit.

2010-11-03 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3192468

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
LostSheep - 2010-11-03 8:09 AM If I may, I'd like to brag a wee bit.

I've been gone to KY for the last 7weeks and then had a fairly large work related exam at the end of October. So, needless to say, my training has been lackluster. I managed to get in a few runs and a couple of bike rides while gone.

While I was gone, I made it a point to strongly watch what I ate knowing I wasn't training so much.

I came home and started getting dressed for work only to notice my khaki's didn't fit. My suit pants didn't fit. My blue jeans didn't fit. My dress shirts didn't fit. Everything was HUGE! My belt is pulled as tight as it'll go without me having to punch a new hole.

My wife remarked that I MUST go clothes shopping this weekend because I look like a bum with clothes 3 sizes too big. My 34jeans have a good 2 inches of extra waist. I can pull on and pull off my 36 dress pants with them buttoned. The neck in my dress shirts is a good 1/2" too big too.

And the funny thing, I still weigh in at 168. Weight wise, since I've started tri's I've dropped a little over 30lbs. My bodyfat has come down to the mid-high teens. I think I would like to get down to around 155-160 and hold there.

Another note on the same topic... my wife dropped our little girl off at the church daycare this morning. The preacher was there chatting it up with everyone when she got there. He actually asked if I was feeling alright because I looked skinny Sunday when he saw me. He was hoping that I wasn't fighting something and was still healthy.

Now, according to Mark's rule, doesn't that mean I'm within 10lbs to go? I can't remember how you're phrase went...

Great Job.  IMO clothes are the best measure for weight loss.

The quote is from Dan the founder of slowtwitch.com:

"the trick is to keep losing weight until your friends and family ask you if you've been sick. then you know you're within 10 pounds. if they start whispering to each other, wondering if you've got cancer or aids, you're within 5. when they actually do an intervention, you're at race weight."
2010-11-03 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!
2010-11-03 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
That's awesome.  I normally have the opposite problem when I'm traveling a lot.
2010-11-03 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3192962

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-11-03 11:14 AM Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

I like that quote.
2010-11-03 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
I just installed Golden Cheetah and exported over a couple of my last rides. What the hell does all this mean??/

2010-11-03 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
LostSheep - 2010-11-03 8:09 AM If I may, I'd like to brag a wee bit.

That's awesome.  Good job.

Now I know why you blow past me on all the runs.....
2010-11-04 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3193752

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-11-03 4:17 PM I just installed Golden Cheetah and exported over a couple of my last rides. What the hell does all this mean??/

That's why I'm sticking to WKO, I understand it.  Plus I like how it measures fatigue and freshness, thus indicating when you've peaked.
2010-11-04 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3195328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-11-04 2:30 PM
titeloops - 2010-11-03 4:17 PM I just installed Golden Cheetah and exported over a couple of my last rides. What the hell does all this mean??/

That's why I'm sticking to WKO, I understand it.  Plus I like how it measures fatigue and freshness, thus indicating when you've peaked.

You can also combine running fatigue which I think is really nice.  I believe there is a way to manually add your swim workouts but since I'm not swimming much right now I haven't bothered to figure out how to do it.

How do you tell when you've peaked?  I look at the training stress balance but haven't figured out how to make since of it yet.
2010-11-04 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3195628

User image

Master
cornfed - 2010-11-04 3:46 PM

You can also combine running fatigue which I think is really nice.  I believe there is a way to manually add your swim workouts but since I'm not swimming much right now I haven't bothered to figure out how to do it.

How do you tell when you've peaked?  I look at the training stress balance but haven't figured out how to make since of it yet.

You need some history put in there to have an accurate long term stress level.  However, based on some work that I had seen in the GC google group, people seemed to put in their best performances at somewhere between -10 and +5 for the stress balance (with some outliers, of course).

I found GC to be much more simple and understandable than WKO+.

The coolest part of GC is the critical power curve builder.  For each of the workouts you have put in pull those up and hit Ride --> Find power peaks.  Then go ahead and exit the program and hit save on those files (there is probably a way to do it without exiting and reopening, but I haven't found it yet).  Reopen and go to the critical power tab.  You should get an overall CP curve based on patching together your best performances (colored line) and a black line which shows your currently selected ride.  Coolest tool ever.
2010-11-04 8:43 PM
in reply to: #3195628

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

I've got an article from Triathlete(Jan 2009), which was written by Michael Ricci.  He's the founder of D3 and post here on BT.  It's the best explanation of TSB, ATL, and CTL that I've seen.

PM me your address and I'm mail you a copy.

2010-11-04 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3196087

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-11-04 9:43 PM

I've got an article from Triathlete(Jan 2009), which was written by Michael Ricci.  He's the founder of D3 and post here on BT.  It's the best explanation of TSB, ATL, and CTL that I've seen.

PM me your address and I'm mail you a copy.
Cool, thanks.
2010-11-06 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Well guys - had a time trial today.  Used it as the long interval part of the critical power test for Jorge's winter program.  Yes, I know you guys are starting later.  Since I had this TT on the calendar I decided to go ahead and knock out the first couple pre-weeks and conform that around this TT.  Pretty happy with the results - 27:54 for 9.9 miles.  No aero gear whatsoever and it was pretty darn cold and windy.  The wind really knocked the speed down.  I did, however, manage to pump out 270 average watts (normalized power was 271).  Pretty happy with that.

Robert, sorry I didn't see you at the Vulcan.  Looked for you.  I froze my a$$ off waiting around for my wife to finish (which she did in 59:10 - awesome for her).
2010-11-07 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3198559

User image

Expert
Alabama
sand101 - 2010-11-06 2:56 PM Well guys - had a time trial today.  Used it as the long interval part of the critical power test for Jorge's winter program.  Yes, I know you guys are starting later.  Since I had this TT on the calendar I decided to go ahead and knock out the first couple pre-weeks and conform that around this TT.  Pretty happy with the results - 27:54 for 9.9 miles.  No aero gear whatsoever and it was pretty darn cold and windy.  The wind really knocked the speed down.  I did, however, manage to pump out 270 average watts (normalized power was 271).  Pretty happy with that.

Robert, sorry I didn't see you at the Vulcan.  Looked for you.  I froze my a$$ off waiting around for my wife to finish (which she did in 59:10 - awesome for her).

Excellent. She must have been right in front of me.

Y'all, I'd like some feedback on my 10k run.  I've uploaded it in my logs.  You can view the splits and HR data by clicking the "Lap Data".  I kept a pretty comfortable pace the first 2 miles, between 2.5 and mile 4 was the steady climb (hardest part was 2.5 to mile 3.5).  I picked up the pace, but tried to stay comfortable at mile 4.  Mile 5 (steady downhill) and 6 I tried to pick it up, and I can't believe I ran the last mile at 8:38 (which is fast for me).  I finished giving it everything in the tank, which is supposed to happen.

I'd like feedback on my pacing strategy.  Does anything standout that I could have done differently and better for a 10k (started too slow, didn't push enough at the end, could have picked up sooner, etc.)  What can I do to improve from here, as this was my first 10k.  I met my goal of under 1 hour, and I want my next 10k goal to be 57 or better.
2010-11-07 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3198559

User image

Master
North Alabama
sand101 - 2010-11-06 2:56 PM Well guys - had a time trial today.  Used it as the long interval part of the critical power test for Jorge's winter program.  Yes, I know you guys are starting later.  Since I had this TT on the calendar I decided to go ahead and knock out the first couple pre-weeks and conform that around this TT.  Pretty happy with the results - 27:54 for 9.9 miles.  No aero gear whatsoever and it was pretty darn cold and windy.  The wind really knocked the speed down.  I did, however, manage to pump out 270 average watts (normalized power was 271).  Pretty happy with that.

Thanks! I never heard it or saw it. I heard my name as I rounded the turn into the park, but didn't know who said it. Thought it was the family but then I heard them again at the finish. Oh well.

And YES IT WAS COLD. My sister was shivering at the end I finished in 55:41, which was off the goal by 1:41, but it was a good run.

Congrats to your wife!! 
2010-11-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3199094

User image

Master
pilotzs - 2010-11-07 6:19 AM

Excellent. She must have been right in front of me.

Y'all, I'd like some feedback on my 10k run.  I've uploaded it in my logs.  You can view the splits and HR data by clicking the "Lap Data".  I kept a pretty comfortable pace the first 2 miles, between 2.5 and mile 4 was the steady climb (hardest part was 2.5 to mile 3.5).  I picked up the pace, but tried to stay comfortable at mile 4.  Mile 5 (steady downhill) and 6 I tried to pick it up, and I can't believe I ran the last mile at 8:38 (which is fast for me).  I finished giving it everything in the tank, which is supposed to happen.

I'd like feedback on my pacing strategy.  Does anything standout that I could have done differently and better for a 10k (started too slow, didn't push enough at the end, could have picked up sooner, etc.)  What can I do to improve from here, as this was my first 10k.  I met my goal of under 1 hour, and I want my next 10k goal to be 57 or better.

Jason - for some reason I didn't think you were running it.  Needless to say I didn't run into you, either.  Awesome on getting under an hour!

When I ran it last year I pretty much ran it as you did.  Steady through mile four and then chew up the field on the way back down.

2010-11-07 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Bike is cleaned and ready for B2B.  I added a Hawk Bottom bracket over the weekend.  Going to see what the wheel builder aero jacket does for me.  If nothing at least it looks good.  This will be my first race with:

Louis Garneau Air Rocket Aero Helmet
Reynold Assualt Carbon Wheels
Hawk Bottom Bracket

(Felt B12 Aero Jacket Reynold Wheels.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Felt B12 Aero Jacket Reynold Wheels.jpg (65KB - 8 downloads)
2010-11-07 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3199488

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
[email protected] - 2010-11-07 2:12 PM Bike is cleaned and ready for B2B.  I added a Hawk Bottom bracket over the weekend.  Going to see what the wheel builder aero jacket does for me.  If nothing at least it looks good.  This will be my first race with:

Louis Garneau Air Rocket Aero Helmet
Reynold Assualt Carbon Wheels
Hawk Bottom Bracket

Boing!

Looks nice, what size are you riding?
2010-11-07 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3199623

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
not sure what you mean by size.   The wheels are 46 mm
2010-11-07 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Dead friggin sexy!I bet it's a 54
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  

of 52