General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-01-13 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3297752

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
gremlin327 - 2011-01-13 3:15 PM

Another good point, a few extra grams for a tougher tire/tibe is weight well spent.  50 grams will not slow you down nearly as much as a flat. 

I agree with you on the weight, but the increased ROLLING RESISTANCE, especially of something like a gator-skin, definitely will slow you down.

2011-01-13 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee

Good point.  That is why I train on them :-)  Like dragging a volkswagen around behind me. 

2011-01-13 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Just making sure that no one read your post and thought "a flat would be terrible in my IM... I better race on gatorskins"
2011-01-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3293668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
We have a bit in common - Austin 70.3 was my first HIM (6:34) and CdA 2011 will be my first IM. I just wish it were race time!

cam111 - 2011-01-11 8:21 PM

Bit of background, this is my first IM (completed Austin 70.3 last October with a slowwwww 7hr time)
2011-01-14 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3296476

User image

Expert
WA
JoshKaptur - 2011-01-12 5:18 PM Add me to the eyes wide open camp, but only because I am self coached.  I need to know what the purpose of todays workout is, as it fits within the context of the various training cycles (mini, meso, etc) that I'm in.  If you have a very good coach then I agree, you can just focus on today.  But if you are self-coached, even if you are following a canned plan, you likely should try to develop a bit of context and awareness about your training.  You should understand why you are doing what you are doing, because that's the only way to know if it hurts just right, too much, or not enough.  I also think it is very helpful to use nearly every training session to mentally rehearse race day.  Some might be afraid of "burnout" to focus singularly on a goal for that long, but for me the dividends were huge on my debut IM.  Even though it was my first, I felt like I was a seasoned vet because I had gone over it so many times in my head.  For example, I had run the last 10 miles of that marathon hundreds of times in training, forcing myself to keep it under control and focus on mechanics and envisioning the glory that awaits when you keep going.  I had dialed in my bike pacing and held it consistently while staying in aero for multiple hours dozens of times with no conversation, no attention to the scenery, etc... so I was ready for the focus that requires on race day.  I had paid attention to what I ate and drank, and what the conditions and workout were like, and how my body felt about it, on every long workout... so that I knew how my body would respond regardless of what the weather was like.  Even the silly stuff, like when I got the runners trots on a long run once... I didn't focus on making it to a gas station... I focused in my mind of keeping it all together until I got to an "aid station" and then I focused on being as quick as I could be and getting back out there at my targeted run pace right away.  It was all mental race prep, any chance I could get.

All that to say, it's my personal belief that lots of people show up to an IM in better physical shape than their finish time will reflect at the end of race day.  For most of them (barring an injury, events out of their control, etc), the day falls apart due to poor race execution.  Mis-execution, at its very core, is a mental mistake.  And it's a part of you that can easily be neglected during training, but that will benefit from training just as much as your body will.

Josh,  I am so glad you are doing this race the same year I am!  It is such a privilege to have you and the rest of this crew along on this journey.  You are very insightful and I appreciate your advice and recommendations. 

Even though I think about this race everyday, I don't think about it DURING my training.  I enjoy FINISHING a workout...but after work, dinner and putting the kids down I am pretty tired and don't have a lot of motivation to workout.  For me the mentality has been, "I have to do this workout as part of the plan to race IM CDA". Workout.  Log workout.
You are the second person today who said Enjoy the Journey.  Going forward I am going to try to enjoy each workout a little more and envision race day with each workout.  Thanks for the tip!
2011-01-15 11:54 AM

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA
With ironman, it's all about the training. The race is just an afterthought.  If I really didn't enjoy the training, I wouldn't be here.  Besides, I think it's beyond just training, it's a life style.

2011-01-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3301431

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
trinitwit - 2011-01-15 12:54 PM With ironman, it's all about the training. The race is just an afterthought.  If I really didn't enjoy the training, I wouldn't be here.  Besides, I think it's beyond just training, it's a life style.

I prefer:

Ironman is 90% preparation.  The other 50% is execution.

I understand your point, but get nervous for those thinking of the race as an "afterthought."  If you mean (which I think you do) that most of the work happens before the race and that the race itself is just a long catered workout, I agree.  But if you don't recognize that mis-execution on race day can negate boatloads of smart training, then we disagree.
2011-01-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3299841

User image

Veteran
Dallas
rnner66 - 2011-01-14 12:35 PM We have a bit in common - Austin 70.3 was my first HIM (6:34) and CdA 2011 will be my first IM. I just wish it were race time!
cam111 - 2011-01-11 8:21 PM Bit of background, this is my first IM (completed Austin 70.3 last October with a slowwwww 7hr time)

Same here.  Longhorn was my first HIM and CdA is my first IM. 
2011-01-15 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
A couple of interesting videos:

CDA 2010 Pre-Race Showhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-eKGKP6wsM&feature=related

140.6: The Triathlete's Journey:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8865570

Edited by 3Aims 2011-01-15 1:31 PM
2011-01-15 1:57 PM

User image

Elite
SE
thanks for the video links.

I heard someone once say that they race to train and not vice versa. I loved that.

I think the training has to be part of your lifestyle in order for you to have the best race day you can. Race day is huge.

Everyone has different goals for the race. Some are to finish with a smile, while others are to KQ. Mine is generally and in this case specifically is to have the best day I can given the course, my ability, my training, the conditions etc. Race day thus is a reflection of so many things. So I don't really want to quantify it; nor do I want to put a time demand on it, especially an arbitrary one that I may have limited control over.

Again, race day is huge not a thing to overlook. One bad decision about pacing on the bike or early in the run can really ruin things for you.

You really have to get to know your limits over the next 6 months. Know what happens on your long runs if you go say 9:00 instead of 9:10 or 9:25. Knowing what your body can tolerate in terms of pacing, heart rate, and/or watts or what it needs in terms of hydration and nutrition for a long time will be the single best way of avoiding a meltdown of catastrophic proportions.

Do your best to eliminate any excuses on the day by overlearning your body now. Then you will be prepared from an internal perspective leaving mostly the environment to worry you.
2011-01-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3301539

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Funny! Great minds think alike!

3Aims - 2011-01-15 1:19 PM

rnner66 - 2011-01-14 12:35 PM We have a bit in common - Austin 70.3 was my first HIM (6:34) and CdA 2011 will be my first IM. I just wish it were race time!
cam111 - 2011-01-11 8:21 PM Bit of background, this is my first IM (completed Austin 70.3 last October with a slowwwww 7hr time)

Same here.  Longhorn was my first HIM and CdA is my first IM. 

2011-01-15 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3301486

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA
JoshKaptur - 2011-01-15 10:39 AM
trinitwit - 2011-01-15 12:54 PM With ironman, it's all about the training. The race is just an afterthought.  If I really didn't enjoy the training, I wouldn't be here.  Besides, I think it's beyond just training, it's a life style.

I prefer:

Ironman is 90% preparation.  The other 50% is execution.

I understand your point, but get nervous for those thinking of the race as an "afterthought."  If you mean (which I think you do) that most of the work happens before the race and that the race itself is just a long catered workout, I agree.  But if you don't recognize that mis-execution on race day can negate boatloads of smart training, then we disagree.

LOL.  I love that.  It's so true.  Total blast, tho.
2011-01-15 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3301603

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
It's great to have some teamates on this journey.  I'm not sure how Austin was for you both, but I was greatful for three key takeaways:

1.) There are real athletes out there, and I'm probably not one of them (remember the Pros who started late due to the traffic and blew past us at 28mph around mile 40...) so I have to be the best I can be.
2.) Maintaining composure durning challenging times can determine the difference between success and failure (I got tangled up in a crash on the bike around mile 50...can give more detail later if interested)
3.) A half-Ironman was a very long day and I am ever respectful for anyone who attempts, let alone completes a full Ironman.

I have to admit that this is having a bit more effect than I would have expected...for instance I woke up at 3:30am the other morning from a dream (nighmare) where they moved the race up by a month and I was frantically explaining that they couldn't do that because, "I wasn't ready..."

Maybe it's helping...since that fateful morning, I've been in the pool every day and thouroughly exhaused from any training I can squeeze into my schedule (dont look for any posts after 8:30pm).

There is a pro/coach here that is putting a training session together in CDA over Memorial weekend to pre-swim/ride/run portions of the course in preparation.  He has athletes from all over the country who are going to join, if interested I can pass on the info (I'm sure more participants will not be a problem).

Other than anxiety of not being prepared, what do all of you use for motivation?

C
2011-01-15 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3302188

User image

Regular
Newbury Park, CA
cam111 - 2011-01-15 7:35 PM It's great to have some teamates on this journey.  I'm not sure how Austin was for you both, but I was greatful for three key takeaways:

1.) There are real athletes out there, and I'm probably not one of them (remember the Pros who started late due to the traffic and blew past us at 28mph around mile 40...) so I have to be the best I can be.
2.) Maintaining composure durning challenging times can determine the difference between success and failure (I got tangled up in a crash on the bike around mile 50...can give more detail later if interested)
3.) A half-Ironman was a very long day and I am ever respectful for anyone who attempts, let alone completes a full Ironman.

I have to admit that this is having a bit more effect than I would have expected...for instance I woke up at 3:30am the other morning from a dream (nighmare) where they moved the race up by a month and I was frantically explaining that they couldn't do that because, "I wasn't ready..."

Maybe it's helping...since that fateful morning, I've been in the pool every day and thouroughly exhaused from any training I can squeeze into my schedule (dont look for any posts after 8:30pm).

There is a pro/coach here that is putting a training session together in CDA over Memorial weekend to pre-swim/ride/run portions of the course in preparation.  He has athletes from all over the country who are going to join, if interested I can pass on the info (I'm sure more participants will not be a problem).

Other than anxiety of not being prepared, what do all of you use for motivation?

C

I have no anxiety about the up-coming event.  I really do not need any external motivation.  The workouts are motivation by themselves.  When I finish one session, I am looking forward to the next.
2011-01-15 11:33 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
cam111 - 2011-01-15 8:35 PM

C

My main motivation comes from wanting to make the absolute most of this opportunity. Since I'm putting so much time into it and scheduling so many of my activities this year around training and the race, I really want to cross the finish line feeling like I've done everything possible and that I gave it all I had in training and racing. I think about it a little everyday.

Beyond that, I visualize crossing the finish line sometime during all my runs and imagine what it will be like for real. And I signed up for savageman, so I've got another major event after CDA this year that I'll be blowing if I don't train hard.

Edited by coxma22 2011-01-15 11:35 PM
2011-01-17 12:20 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Does anyone have or has anyone seen a bike profile with the % grades listed?

2011-01-17 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3304403

Master
, California
cam111 - 2011-01-17 10:20 AM Does anyone have or has anyone seen a bike profile with the % grades listed?

I don't have the % grades handy, but you can take a peek at this:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=138817

-- which is 1 loop of the bike course.  Click the elevation graph button to see where the hills are.
2011-01-17 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
cam111 - 2011-01-15 7:35 PM

It's great to have some teamates on this journey.  I'm not sure how Austin was for you both, but I was greatful for three key takeaways:

C

I'd be interested in the details on the Memorial Day thing. I have gone to CDA every Memorial Day weekend (and plan to again this year) to ride the full course on Saturday followed by a short transition run and then Sunday I run the CDA 1/2 marathon which is partially on the IM course. It's a great last long weekend before I start my taper and a perfect opportunity for people from out of town to see the course. If anyone is interested in joining me I'd be happy for the company and I have all the (hydration/SN) logistics dialed in if we don't do the camp like event.
2011-01-17 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3304734

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
leopard8996 - 2011-01-17 12:57 PM
cam111 - 2011-01-15 7:35 PM It's great to have some teamates on this journey.  I'm not sure how Austin was for you both, but I was greatful for three key takeaways:

C
I'd be interested in the details on the Memorial Day thing. I have gone to CDA every Memorial Day weekend (and plan to again this year) to ride the full course on Saturday followed by a short transition run and then Sunday I run the CDA 1/2 marathon which is partially on the IM course. It's a great last long weekend before I start my taper and a perfect opportunity for people from out of town to see the course. If anyone is interested in joining me I'd be happy for the company and I have all the (hydration/SN) logistics dialed in if we don't do the camp like event.

I am a definite maybe for this.  I won't know for a little while...it all depends on work, but I'm definitely interested...and can you imagine how much fun we'd have? Laughing 
2011-01-17 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3304403

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
cam111 - 2011-01-17 11:20 AM

Does anyone have or has anyone seen a bike profile with the % grades listed?

I posted a plot with the grades and elevation here:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1tt9NTzW7KnNTI0Y2M1YzMtZGY1NC00MzM...

The worst of it is as you head north away from away from Hayden Lake.

2011-01-17 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3301486

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
JoshKaptur - 2011-01-15 12:39 PM

I prefer:

Ironman is 90% preparation.  The other 50% is execution. And 50% mental.

First off, I fixed your formula.

I am doing this for my health, but I also would like to finish that long, catered work out.  A lot.  I mean a real lot.  Like a whole lot.  I really do.

So for me, it is about a race.  And I enjoy about 80% of my training.

2011-01-17 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3305463

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
pga_mike - 2011-01-17 8:14 PM

I am doing this for my health, but I also would like to finish that long, catered work out.  A lot.  I mean a real lot.  Like a whole lot.  I really do.

If you k?eep training like you have been?? finishing will not be an issue at all.
2011-01-17 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3305463

User image

Expert
WA
pga_mike - 2011-01-17 7:14 AM

pga, nice story about Mrs pga on your blog.  Thanks for sharing.
2011-01-19 12:23 PM

User image

Biddeford, Maine

C

I am looking at the training and race as the means, not the end.   I turn the big 50 this year and am using IMCdA as a way to achieve peak fitness for my half-century.  I want to PR in as many races as I can (taking care not to cause conflicts with my IM training.) As far as preparations; over the years, I have completed 4 marathons (including Boston in 2009) and three HIM races.  I fully understand mental toughness.  It will make or break you and like physical toughness, you have to train.  Anytime that I am doing anything and the little voice in my head says "dial it back a little" or " cut the distance shorter today", I IGNORE THE VOICE.   If you train yourself to do this, then it will be a lot easier on race day.     
2011-01-19 2:46 PM

User image

Las Vegas
Okay, I got the serious business out of the way.  My baby boy, Cooper, was born on 1-1-11.  Now to sharpen the focus and work on multitasking!
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171