BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3552028

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
kenj - 2011-06-16 8:41 AM
Viyoung - 2011-06-16 9:28 AM
kenj - 2011-06-14 2:47 PM
Trout - 2011-06-14 3:13 PM

Good article on the argument for indoor bike training.  I plan to get myself some Spinerval DVDs for the fall/winter training.

It is a good article. 
I have several of the spinerval dvd's.  I really like the 3 set, I think they are 30, 31 and 32.  I think Robin or Keri (where have they been?) mentioned that there are cheaper alternatives on line too. 

I know I like riding outside when the weather is nice, and when it comes to hill climbs, and the strength gained, nothing replaces the outside.  As mentioned, the outside is where you gain handling skills and confidence as well.  But as a far as increasing your cycling intensity, the trainer with a solid workout plan is as good as any interval ride outside in my opinion.  A lot of people put the bike up for the winter, but doing so is a lost oportunity to improve the bike on the trainer when you don't have the weather for regular outside rides.    

Question:  How is riding your own bike on a trainer different from riding a stationary bike at the gym?  What are the pros/cons of each?

The biggest thing is the fit of your bike is more than likely going to be different from a stationary or spin bike.  This would include seat height, handle bar height and distance from the seat.  The angle of the seat post will also be different.

You may think, as I once did that pedalling is pedalling and if you do enough of it you are race ready regardless of how and on what bike.  I found out the hard way last year as I did the bulk of my training on my road bike and when I raced the HIM I was on my tri bike.  Besides being slower, on the bike it had a negative impact on my run as I dealt with leg pains almost the whole run (which turned into mostly a walk.)

17 weeks later, after focusing on training the bike I was going to race I did the IM with a faster MPH on the bike and a solid run without any walking aside from the aid stations. 

You can supplement your biking with gym work on spin bikes and classes and it will help your cycling.  But it does not replace good training on your own bike!

True that.  I have to spend more time on the TT bike.  Gong to get a fit tonight.  I got new shoes and it's tossed off the fit just enough to give me trouble after about 50 miles.

2011-06-16 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3552036

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-06-16 9:45 AM
kenj - 2011-06-16 8:41 AM
Viyoung - 2011-06-16 9:28 AM
kenj - 2011-06-14 2:47 PM
Trout - 2011-06-14 3:13 PM

Good article on the argument for indoor bike training.  I plan to get myself some Spinerval DVDs for the fall/winter training.

It is a good article. 
I have several of the spinerval dvd's.  I really like the 3 set, I think they are 30, 31 and 32.  I think Robin or Keri (where have they been?) mentioned that there are cheaper alternatives on line too. 

I know I like riding outside when the weather is nice, and when it comes to hill climbs, and the strength gained, nothing replaces the outside.  As mentioned, the outside is where you gain handling skills and confidence as well.  But as a far as increasing your cycling intensity, the trainer with a solid workout plan is as good as any interval ride outside in my opinion.  A lot of people put the bike up for the winter, but doing so is a lost oportunity to improve the bike on the trainer when you don't have the weather for regular outside rides.    

Question:  How is riding your own bike on a trainer different from riding a stationary bike at the gym?  What are the pros/cons of each?

The biggest thing is the fit of your bike is more than likely going to be different from a stationary or spin bike.  This would include seat height, handle bar height and distance from the seat.  The angle of the seat post will also be different.

You may think, as I once did that pedalling is pedalling and if you do enough of it you are race ready regardless of how and on what bike.  I found out the hard way last year as I did the bulk of my training on my road bike and when I raced the HIM I was on my tri bike.  Besides being slower, on the bike it had a negative impact on my run as I dealt with leg pains almost the whole run (which turned into mostly a walk.)

17 weeks later, after focusing on training the bike I was going to race I did the IM with a faster MPH on the bike and a solid run without any walking aside from the aid stations. 

You can supplement your biking with gym work on spin bikes and classes and it will help your cycling.  But it does not replace good training on your own bike!

True that.  I have to spend more time on the TT bike.  Gong to get a fit tonight.  I got new shoes and it's tossed off the fit just enough to give me trouble after about 50 miles.

I am going in next Tuesday for a fitting.  Thinking about upgrading my tri bike, but either way it has been almost 4 year, so I need to get it looked at.

I hope your fitter solves the problem!
2011-06-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Regular
Maryland

Ken, thanks for the response on the bike question.

I have another QOTD for all who might have any knowledge of the subject:

What is the difference between lactic build-up and muscle soreness?

Yesterday I did a mini brick, I did another brick two weeks ago.  At my brick two weeks ago, (17.5 mi. bike, 3 mi. run,)I felt pain in my legs all the while I was running and I think I injured myself.  Yesterday, (20 mi. spin class, 1 mi. run,) I felt pain again, but I deliberately took it easy on the run.  Today I feel great.

So, is it typical to hurt when you run after biking?  Is this because you're working different muscle groups?  Or is it because I have lactic build up?

2011-06-16 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3550959

User image

Regular
Maryland
cute puppy Richard!  Not looking much like Marmaduke at this point
2011-06-16 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3550840

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Trout - 2011-06-15 2:38 PM

I've got a question regarding what I should get/buy next.  I'm a new triathlete/cyclist so last year I started at square 1 in terms of gear.  I spent the necessary funds to at least complete a tri (and maybe a few extra dollars on some other convenience type things).

I'm starting my 2nd year of tri's - signed up to do 2 and will probably consider a 3rd.  Over the next few years I only plan to participate in sprints and olys, with a big maybe to a HIM.  Whenever I mention buying something I'd like/need to my wife, she'll say "let's wait until you do a few more tris."  (I think I can convince her if I put up a big enough argument/case)

So with all of that said, here are some of the items I do NOT have that I believe could help me become a bit faster.  Let me know what you feel is most important to consider getting next/first.

- wetsuit
- tri bike shoes
- new wheels/tires for road bike
- clip on aero bars for road bike
- any other upgrades for road bike
- tri bike
- tri specific run/race shoes
- anything else?

If you want a really good wetsuit that offers a lot of "bang for the buck" take a look at Neosport:

http://www.neosportusa.com/index.php?page=category&sport=triathlete&catID=3

I've had mine for over a year and have used it quite a bit for training and racing. One of the best features is the wetsuit ends at mid-calf level - this means it's easy to get out of during T1.

2011-06-16 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3552758

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
acv - 2011-06-16 2:42 PM
Trout - 2011-06-15 2:38 PM

I've got a question regarding what I should get/buy next.  I'm a new triathlete/cyclist so last year I started at square 1 in terms of gear.  I spent the necessary funds to at least complete a tri (and maybe a few extra dollars on some other convenience type things).

I'm starting my 2nd year of tri's - signed up to do 2 and will probably consider a 3rd.  Over the next few years I only plan to participate in sprints and olys, with a big maybe to a HIM.  Whenever I mention buying something I'd like/need to my wife, she'll say "let's wait until you do a few more tris."  (I think I can convince her if I put up a big enough argument/case)

So with all of that said, here are some of the items I do NOT have that I believe could help me become a bit faster.  Let me know what you feel is most important to consider getting next/first.

- wetsuit
- tri bike shoes
- new wheels/tires for road bike
- clip on aero bars for road bike
- any other upgrades for road bike
- tri bike
- tri specific run/race shoes
- anything else?

If you want a really good wetsuit that offers a lot of "bang for the buck" take a look at Neosport:

http://www.neosportusa.com/index.php?page=category&sport=triathlete&catID=3

I've had mine for over a year and have used it quite a bit for training and racing. One of the best features is the wetsuit ends at mid-calf level - this means it's easy to get out of during T1.

Thanks Adam for the recommendation!  Definitely looks like an affordable option.

2011-06-16 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

It seems as though the consensus on my next purchase should be a wetsuit. (I thought this too but needed reassurance)  The next question would be full sleeve or sleeveless.  A little background...

I live in NW PA with many "nearby" tri's in western and central NYS.  The earliest tri races I'd probably do are the first week of June.  (OW training obviously could be before that)  Water temps generally could be as low as 60 at this point of the year...maybe lower right Ken?!

For the time being I plan to do mostly sprints and olys.

A local triathlete (IMKY finisher) made a comment that I hadn't heard before saying that the arms of a full sleeve suit can fill with water and creates extra weight towards the end of a swim.  Is this true?!

Once armed with this info, I will approach my understanding wife with my request.

2011-06-16 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have  a full sleeve wetsuit and have never had my arms fill with water. If it fits right, there shouldn't be any room. I get cold very easy (though I get hot very easy too) so a full wetsuit is what I have.
2011-06-16 9:25 PM

User image

Regular

Sorry guys that I haven't said to much, it has been a crazy past month.  Work is busy and training is kicking me in butt.  Feels like I train, eat, work, train, eat, and sleep; then repeat next day.  Anyhow I promise I will try to be more talkative  

~Jon

"There is a difference between interest and commitment.  When on is interested in something, they do it only when it is convenient. When one is committed to something; they accept no excuses only results." 

2011-06-17 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3552986

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-16 4:13 PM

It seems as though the consensus on my next purchase should be a wetsuit. (I thought this too but needed reassurance)  The next question would be full sleeve or sleeveless.  A little background...

I live in NW PA with many "nearby" tri's in western and central NYS.  The earliest tri races I'd probably do are the first week of June.  (OW training obviously could be before that)  Water temps generally could be as low as 60 at this point of the year...maybe lower right Ken?!

A local triathlete (IMKY finisher) made a comment that I hadn't heard before saying that the arms of a full sleeve suit can fill with water and creates extra weight towards the end of a swim.  Is this true?!

Once armed with this info, I will approach my understanding wife with my request.

My first suit was a sleeveless and it is still my favorite as I feel more comfortable in it.  My full sleeve however seems to be a little faster.  They build some panels into the sleeves that create some help on the pull from what I understand.  I picked up the full sleeve one specifically for IMFL as I didn't want to deal with jellyfish stings.

If the suit fits properly you will not take on much water at all, especially in the sleeves. 

You are right on the early June water temps, this year it was a question mark if it was going to get to 60!  If I had it to do over again, I probably would buy the full sleeve first and add the sleeveless one later.

BTW, I beleive that BT is still doing the drawing for a free wetsuit.  Anyone that submits an equipment reveiw gets their name into the drawing.  Submit a couple of reviews, shoes, trainers, bike, whatever, and maybe you can save your tri cash for something else!
2011-06-17 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3553487

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
arrogant_bastard - 2011-06-16 10:25 PM

Sorry guys that I haven't said to much, it has been a crazy past month.  Work is busy and training is kicking me in butt.  Feels like I train, eat, work, train, eat, and sleep; then repeat next day.  Anyhow I promise I will try to be more talkative  

~Jon

"There is a difference between interest and commitment.  When on is interested in something, they do it only when it is convenient. When one is committed to something; they accept no excuses only results." 

With an ironman in a month you probably don't have the energy to say much!  Keep up the good work!

2011-06-17 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3553487

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
arrogant_bastard - 2011-06-16 9:25 PM

~Jon

I feel your pain. 

2011-06-17 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3552986

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Trout - 2011-06-16 4:13 PM

Full sleeve is faster and warmer.

For some reason I'm in the minority at races, most people use a sleeveless suit. I'm not sure why.

But at the temp's you think you'll be using it in I'd go with a full sleeve model.

2011-06-17 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3554673

User image

Expert

Definitely agree with everyone about clip on aerobars and a wetsuit being good upgrades. I have used both sleeveless and full wetsuits and I am definitely faster in my full suit. Water in the sleeves has never been an issue for me and I have skinny wrists for a big guy.

I have tri shoes but I put them on in T1 instead of leaving them clipped in. I'm a little uncoordinated and I'm afraid I will have trouble getting into them while riding. My next couple of rides I will try getting out of my shoes before I dismount to see if I can do it during a race.

Have a great weekend everybody and Happy Father's Day to all the dads!

2011-06-18 10:47 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yes, Happy Father's day to all the dads!
2011-06-19 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Happy Father's Day to me with an 8.25 mile run this morning 1:15:00.. LaughingFor real Happy Father's Day yo all the fathers in our group..

2011-06-19 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3556250

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-06-19 9:34 AM Happy Father's Day to me with an 8.25 mile run this morning 1:15:00.. LaughingFor real Happy Father's Day yo all the fathers in our group..

Great job with the run!
First long run of this marathon training plan, 17 miles!  Glad to have that done for the week!

Happy Fathers Day to all of you Dad's!
2011-06-20 4:45 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

How did the racing go this weekend?

2011-06-20 7:18 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Did my first sprint distance race, finished 47/60 in my age group, still a very slow 1:37.05 but improving.

Decent swim, dropped chain on bike and could only use large chain ring for half the ride, led to my fastest average bike speed (likely just a flatter course), and fastest run per km speed yet, despite a bunch of walking (went too hard on the bike, good lesson to learn).

441 out of 600: 509 on the swim, 236 bike and 535 run, so it's pretty clear where I have to put in the miles

2011-06-20 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3557321

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
marvintpa - 2011-06-20 8:18 AM

Did my first sprint distance race, finished 47/60 in my age group, still a very slow 1:37.05 but improving.

Decent swim, dropped chain on bike and could only use large chain ring for half the ride, led to my fastest average bike speed (likely just a flatter course), and fastest run per km speed yet, despite a bunch of walking (went too hard on the bike, good lesson to learn).

441 out of 600: 509 on the swim, 236 bike and 535 run, so it's pretty clear where I have to put in the miles

Congrats on finishing your first sprint race!  You'll only get better from here.

2011-06-20 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Ran a local 5k on Saturday.  Finished 2nd overall with a time of 17:31.  Very happy with the result and feel that things are starting to come together.  My first tri of the season is in two weeks.

A fellow triathlete in my area just started his own business selling carbon wheels (www.ridecarbon.com) and he asked if I wanted to use a set of demo wheels for my upcoming tri!  Can't wait to try them out.

Ken - he's giving a set of wheels to the male/female winners of the Musselman HIM. 

I think I'll be ordering a wetsuit today as well.

2011-06-20 9:13 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Congratulations on the outstanding time Trout.

Damn that's fast.

2011-06-20 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3556437

User image

Regular
Maryland
nice work on the marathon training, Ken!
2011-06-20 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3557321

User image

Regular
Maryland
marvintpa - 2011-06-20 7:18 AM

Nice work on finishing!

2011-06-20 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3557558

User image

Regular
Maryland
I second that - damn that's fast!  Nice work trout!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72