BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-13 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Veteran
Naples
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

OK I apologize I know its been awhile, well like two weeks,,,,,,,,

Training for a full ironman REALLY eats up a lot of time and energy and I am only on week 10!!!!  The heavy stuff does not get here until weeks 14-22.   Last week rode 5 hours on the bike, that was fun made it about 85 miles, that was a long ride.  I stopped a lot.  Made some amatuer mistakes with nutrition and rest.  I guess that stuff is important. 

Anyway I hope to be more regular and join in the conversations about races and menstral cycles (is that how you spell menstral????)  lol

Have fun everyone enjoy the ride! 

2011-07-13 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3592684

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
khharms - 2011-07-12 11:17 AM
slornow - 2011-07-12 10:10 AM
khharms - 2011-07-12 9:58 AM

On a side note:

I'M GOING BIKE SHOPPING!!! I'm so excited!!

Any opinions on what to stay away from? I have two in mind, a LOOK and a TREK - both very beginner (like under $1000 beginner) but trust me, anything is better than what I have.

I know the components make all the difference, but are there brands to stay away from? I don't want to get stuck with something that will have me in the shop after every ride.

Wow, that is exciting!  Are you buying new or used?  From an individual or a bike shop? Tri or road bike?

Fit is by far the most important consideration.  If you are buying from an individual you should factor in the cost of getting a good fit.  If buying from a bike store then try to get the fit included in the price.  Ideally, you should have a fit done before buying a bike and then get a bike that works with your measurements rather than trying to  "adapt" to a bike that may not be a good fit for you.  If buying from a bike store they should be able to eyeball it a little but all sizes are not equal.  Its a big investment so try to be patient (its hard) and find the bike that fits you best.

I don't know of any specific brands to avoid.  May want to look at www.roadbikereview.com as there are tons of bike reviews over there.  Of course, what one person likes another may not.  Just a resource.

A new bike is a great way to get/stay motivated to ride!

Randy 

I know my LBS has used, and a trade in program, so if they have one that is a good fit, I'm not opposed to buying used. For this bike I'm buying from the store and not craigslist or anything like that. I want to make sure I get the proper bike for me, and all the information I need about how it should actually feel. Same for tri bike vs road bike (I honestly don't know the difference)

There are two bike stores that I would feel comfortable going to, one is literally within walking distance from my house (which means I could ride my bike home Laughing) The other is a tri store, and the owners wife is the race director of TriGirl - which is the race I do.  He may be a little less about getting me on an expensive bike with bells and whistles and get me on something for my level. The store by me seems like they are all about money and making commission or something, I always feel like the shop guy laughs at me when I leave my bike there.

I have of course Sun and Ski Sports and REI, but I don't want some high school guy telling me which bike is appropriate for me!

My search will begin tomorrow

How is the bike search going?  I don't know much about buying a bike, but it is fun!  I'd go to a shop where you feel comfortable.  Can't wait to see a picture when you get it!

Christy

2011-07-13 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3594596

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
[email protected] - 2011-07-13 12:11 PM

Training for a full ironman REALLY eats up a lot of time and energy and I am only on week 10!!!!  The heavy stuff does not get here until weeks 14-22.   Last week rode 5 hours on the bike, that was fun made it about 85 miles, that was a long ride.  I stopped a lot.  Made some amatuer mistakes with nutrition and rest.  I guess that stuff is important. 

Anyway I hope to be more regular and join in the conversations about races and menstral cycles (is that how you spell menstral????)  lol

Thank you for the laugh!!  

I'm going to go check out your logs.  They must look great! 10 weeks in, 10 to go? When is the race?

Christy

2011-07-13 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3594613

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-07-13 1:15 PM
[email protected] - 2011-07-13 12:11 PM

Thank you for the laugh!!  

I'm going to go check out your logs.  They must look great! 10 weeks in, 10 to go? When is the race?

Christy

U R welcome   Great Floridian is Oct 22nd in Clearmont Florida.  Logs are not too impressive don't look too hard.  this will be my first (and probably only) full IM.  Just doing what I can to survive it. 

2011-07-13 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I realize I'm all over the place right now.  The Oly race I was thinking about doing is august 14th.  That's 4 weeks away. My logs, sadly, are up to date.  Think I have enough time to get ready for it?

Christy

2011-07-13 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3589834

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-07-11 6:18 AM Good morning-feeling a little better about my race yesterday.  After looking at the results of other "known" racers it looks like most folks were 6-8 minutes slower at Chattanooga as compared to my last olympic distance the Peachtree Tri.  Talked to a guy after yesterday's race I met at Peachtree that finished 2nd in 50-54 in that race and had a 44 min run.  Yesterday he was a couple of minutes behind me and ran 53.  Also, there was a thread on Slowtwitch about the heat and dissappointing results at Chattanooga.  All this makes me feel that it was a combination of the brutal and maybe just not having a great day than an overtraining issue.

Going to take it easy for a week or two and then map out a plan for a couple of Fall races.  Traveling home from Chattanooga today.  Have a good day folks.

Randy

I'm glad you're feeling better about your race.  It looked awesome to me  Hope you had a good trip home.  Enjoy some easy weeks.

Christy

2011-07-13 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3592335

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
djb45 - 2011-07-12 8:51 AM

Hey, all! I have been in a funk about training since we cancelled our July tri. Not sure what to do next. I am thinking about trying a HM in Dec. but really need to schedule another couple of tris to get my motivation back. Took my first ever bike fall on Sunday and got back up. Some bruising, but I'm alive!

@Randy- congrats on your race. I can only imagine how hard it was and your time is awesome as far as this newbie is concerned.

@Joe- so sorry about your medical, but glad you have most of it figured out! Keep your spirits up!

Sorry to hear about your fall.  Glad you're ok!

Christy

2011-07-13 5:19 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

Wow I have been out of it for awhile. Weddings, work, interviews, and a little vacation time have kept me pretty busy the last three weeks. I am finally settled back in and working toward my next Half Ironman in about 4 weeks. Hope everyone is doing well with training and everything. I will try and stay more involved in the next few weeks.

-Matt

2011-07-13 8:37 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey gang!  Busy week at work this week so will try to check in when I can.  Easy bike yesterday and 30 minute run today.

Deb, Matt and Rob-glad to see you checking in.

Back on the road again tomorrow.   Waiting to get the kids cross country schedules before I look at any races.  Hope to get a couple more in this Fall.

Randy  
2011-07-14 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I have a busy, long weekend ahead.  My husband is out of town on a skate trip, so I'm out numbered!  Trying to find some fun things to do with the kids. 

I went for a run yesterday.  Felt really good to get out.  I'm going to do my best to do a spinerval video when my son naps today.  I haven't been on my bike in 3 weeks.  Hope I can find it

My husband leaving to skate for 4 days made me wonder how many of your significant others do active things, and what they do.  He used to mountian and road bike a lot.  I wish he still did.  It would be nice to do active things together.  And there is no way i'm getting on a skateboard!!

Christy

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-07-14 7:12 AM
2011-07-14 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3595789

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-07-14 7:12 AM

I have a busy, long weekend ahead.  My husband is out of town on a skate trip, so I'm out numbered!  Trying to find some fun things to do with the kids. 

I went for a run yesterday.  Felt really good to get out.  I'm going to do my best to do a spinerval video when my son naps today.  I haven't been on my bike in 3 weeks.  Hope I can find it

My husband leaving to skate for 4 days made me wonder how many of your significant others do active things, and what they do.  He used to mountian and road bike a lot.  I wish he still did.  It would be nice to do active things together.  And there is no way i'm getting on a skateboard!!

Christy

I really wish my husband were in to something! During our dating years we would spend our Friday nights at the gym (exciting, huh?!) He would also wait for me to get home from school and we would go in the wee hours of the night. He used to be really big in to bulking up and being super healthy.

NOW... pft. I can't get him to the gym for anything! He played baseball for one year in high school and that's it. He was never on any sports team growing up, so doing any of that just is not his thing. He's a computer guy (software developer) by day, and woodworker by night. Now that his priorities have switched to the garage, being active and healthy is just not his thing. it really makes me sad.

I do what I can to keep it healthy around here - I meal plan, I do the shopping, and I keep as much of the crap foods out of here, but I can't control what he eats for lunch. He's one of those guys that doesn't gain weight (although he has over the past few years, maybe 10 lbs) but both his mother and father have heart issues, so it really makes me worry that he will have a heart attack by 40. He already has high cholesterol at 30

I keep my hopes high that me doing all this training and spending time at the gym will get him there... maybe. one day.

2011-07-14 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3594586

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
cbrookhart - 2011-07-13 12:05 PM 

Is your race Saturday?  Super exciting!!!  I can't wait to hear about it.

Christy

Yep! Super pumped.

2011-07-14 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3595789

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
cbrookhart - 2011-07-14 7:12 AM

Christy

My bf absolutely adores riding his bike. And he is AWESOME at it. He rides 10-year-old a mountain bike with knobby tires though, even though we live in the midwest. He can get that thing up to 30 mph no problem. Never rides on anything less than the big gear and totally schools me every time we ride, even though I train like 8 hours a week and he basically does not train. I keep telling him that he needs to get a road bike and do races, but his dream is more like to take his bike and ride the northern part of Highway 1. That's the difference in our "active" lifestyles - he does it for fun instead of racing. I'm totally the type A in our relationship.

He also loves basketball and has about the prettiest shot I've ever seen. It's a nice break sometimes to get on the basketball court and shoot hoops with him. Though given that he's 6 foot 4 inches and I'm 5 foot 6, we can never play any kind of 1 on 1, lol. 

2011-07-14 8:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Well......I didn't get on my bike today, but I did go to the gym for a run.  Two days in a row!  Hope this is the start of me getting back into it.  Planning on going to a spin class tomorrow morning.  REALLY hope I make it.

Hope everyone had a great day.

Christy

2011-07-15 5:56 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nicole-good luck this weekend.  Hope the race goes great!

Anyone else racing?

Randy
2011-07-15 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3597637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-07-15 5:56 AM Nicole-good luck this weekend.  Hope the race goes great!

Anyone else racing?

Randy

Good luck Nicole!!!  Have a great race!

Christy

2011-07-15 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3597731

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Good Luck Nicole!!!

Tri Training today. Spin felt great. I decided to time my first mile run. Hoping that I actually ran 1 mile (I was told where the mile point is...) I came in at 11:06 - 1:05 off my race pace in May. I REALLY hope that is accurate. I don't really have anywhere I can go that is marked (no where close anyway). I am so excited to see if I have any race day improvements. I think right now, that's what's keeping me going!

The swim... I kind of lounged in the beginning, i was talking to my 'coach' about bike shopping. Priorities! lol. Anyway, I got a run for my money in the water today! There was a new girl who just kind of came out of nowhere, about my age (32). She was pushing me for sure! After practice we got to talking and she is signed up for the same Tri as me in Oct - but as a relay, where she is obviously doing the swimming. I think it's time to step up my swimming a bit! I've got my eye on her, ha!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!

2011-07-15 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3597844

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
another bike focused question. Sorry, but considering this is the biggest expense, I want as many opinions as possible!

So this morning I asked Greg where I should go bike shopping at, he recommended three places and told me to mention his name for a discount. (I'll take what I can get!) We talked a little about tri bikes, road bikes, aero bars, etc. But when I asked about a trainer, him and another guy jumped at the opportunity to say: don't waste your money?!?! Before I go in to my own opinion, let me just say, these guys are avid cyclists. We're talking 25-30 mph on a long ride is an easy day for them. So I was quite shocked to hear them say that.

Everything I have heard about trainers are that they are wonderful, and just as good as being on the road. I've never heard of someone say that they are a waste. On the flip side, Greg did say that it will help me become a better rider. (Imagine my confusion!) I am a novice rider, I don't know the first thing about riding, including road rules (only some minor things like: on your left, and hand signaling to traffic). I am slow. My race pace was 16 mph, so on that ride last weekend I was probably averaging 14-15 mph, and every now and then I would ask and we would be going 16. So WHY would I NOT get a trainer if it would make me a better rider?!?!

Does it make sense for me to WANT to become a better rider to improve my tri time? I don't want to spend all this money on a bike and only be as good as 16 mph in a race.

I guess I'm just looking for some reinforcement here, I'm going out today to buy some shorts and start looking at bikes. I just want to make sure I won't be making a mistake if I DO buy a trainer.

Reasons I want one:
1. Um, I can't get on the road as much as I want, one weekend day isn't cutting it
2. I can use it when Audrey is napping, or on an 'off' day when I SHOULD be out riding
3. It would free up a weekend ride, where I can go on a run instead
4. It just makes sense, and people who LOVE them, RAVE about them

Please give me your honest opinion, at my level, is it worth it, or would I be wasting my money??
2011-07-15 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3598100

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

khharms - 2011-07-15 10:31 AM another bike focused question. Sorry, but considering this is the biggest expense, I want as many opinions as possible!

So this morning I asked Greg where I should go bike shopping at, he recommended three places and told me to mention his name for a discount. (I'll take what I can get!) We talked a little about tri bikes, road bikes, aero bars, etc. But when I asked about a trainer, him and another guy jumped at the opportunity to say: don't waste your money?!?! Before I go in to my own opinion, let me just say, these guys are avid cyclists. We're talking 25-30 mph on a long ride is an easy day for them. So I was quite shocked to hear them say that.

Everything I have heard about trainers are that they are wonderful, and just as good as being on the road. I've never heard of someone say that they are a waste. On the flip side, Greg did say that it will help me become a better rider. (Imagine my confusion!) I am a novice rider, I don't know the first thing about riding, including road rules (only some minor things like: on your left, and hand signaling to traffic). I am slow. My race pace was 16 mph, so on that ride last weekend I was probably averaging 14-15 mph, and every now and then I would ask and we would be going 16. So WHY would I NOT get a trainer if it would make me a better rider?!?!

Does it make sense for me to WANT to become a better rider to improve my tri time? I don't want to spend all this money on a bike and only be as good as 16 mph in a race.

I guess I'm just looking for some reinforcement here, I'm going out today to buy some shorts and start looking at bikes. I just want to make sure I won't be making a mistake if I DO buy a trainer.

Reasons I want one:
1. Um, I can't get on the road as much as I want, one weekend day isn't cutting it
2. I can use it when Audrey is napping, or on an 'off' day when I SHOULD be out riding
3. It would free up a weekend ride, where I can go on a run instead
4. It just makes sense, and people who LOVE them, RAVE about them

Please give me your honest opinion, at my level, is it worth it, or would I be wasting my money??

I am by no means an expert but...I think they are great. I hate "riding" my bike in the basement but sometimes that's all I can get.  It is easier to do interval training rides on a trainer because you don't have the traffic, people, other stuff getting in your way.  When I was training twice a day it was impossible for me to get 2 workouts in with the kids.  I'd do one in the morning then get on the trainer when the kids went to bed.  I can't imagine why it would be a bad idea.  That said, mine was a gift from my father in law who buys exercise stuff and never uses it.  SO i didn't have to pay for it.  I'm getting his treadmill soon

Christy

Christy

2011-07-15 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3598108

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-07-15 10:36 AM

I am by no means an expert but...I think they are great. I hate "riding" my bike in the basement but sometimes that's all I can get.  It is easier to do interval training rides on a trainer because you don't have the traffic, people, other stuff getting in your way.  When I was training twice a day it was impossible for me to get 2 workouts in with the kids.  I'd do one in the morning then get on the trainer when the kids went to bed.  I can't imagine why it would be a bad idea.  That said, mine was a gift from my father in law who buys exercise stuff and never uses it.  SO i didn't have to pay for it.  I'm getting his treadmill soon

Christy

Christy

I wish you lived near me, I'd give you my treadmill!

I was waiting for your response actually, I know you love your trainer! I think it just goes to show that some cyclists are very territorial about their sport!

2011-07-15 10:54 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Karla-the trainer is typically a "love/hate" relationship.  Love it because it allows me to ride when weather, darkness and time constraints may have kept me from getting out on the roads.  Hate because depending on your set up they can be boring and depending on how hard you are willing to work they can be greuling.  For me, trainer/rollers are huge part of my training.  I have a big fan and a dvd player to keep me sane.  

I'm not sure that riding a trainer makes a person a better "rider".  I typically think of riding skills as being more bike handling related.  However the trainer can make you a faster and stronger rider.  I think the trainer is a great asset for us mere mortals.....maybe not so much for people with the time to get out on the roads more frequently.

Hope the bike shopping goes well.  I think you will see some significant improvement with some work and a new bike.

Randy

2011-07-15 11:59 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Have posted my Chattanooga race report on the race report forum.  Quickly forgetting how bad that run hurt...starting to look for more races

If they had race registration for your "next" race at mile 4 of the run I would never do another tri

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Heading to the beach......

Randy 
2011-07-15 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3598259

User image

Master
Baltimore

slornow - 2011-07-15 12:59 PM Have posted my Chattanooga race report on the race report forum.  Quickly forgetting how bad that run hurt...starting to look for more races

If they had race registration for your "next" race at mile 4 of the run I would never do another tri

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Heading to the beach......

Randy 

hahaha, just had a literal LOL moment...you left you swim skin on for the bike??!?!?!  Maybe i missed it but I don't remember that from when you posted about the race here.  I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, but with you (hopefully).  perhaps that led to some of the reason for your disappointing performance?  That is funny though...did you have like 100 people on the bike being like "uhhh, hey man...did you know your sill wearing your swim skin?" And I can just picture your response of "Yes, yes I am."

2011-07-15 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
RE: the trainer.  Cathy and Randy have covered pretty much everything I could say.  Did he say exactly why he thought they are worthless?  If you're looking for skills, then obviously the road is the only place to get them, but for a great training session, nothing beats the trainer.  Watch craigslist for a deal on a used one because as many people find out quickly, they do suck every ounce of fun out of training.  You'd have to somewhat of a masochist to actually ENJOY the trainer.  But if a pure training tool is what you want...you can't go wrong.
2011-07-15 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3594706

User image

Master
Baltimore
cbrookhart - 2011-07-13 1:54 PM

I realize I'm all over the place right now.  The Oly race I was thinking about doing is august 14th.  That's 4 weeks away. My logs, sadly, are up to date.  Think I have enough time to get ready for it?

Christy

I think you could definitely finish based on the base you had built for your HIM.  You haven't lost all of that yet.  You've got time for 3-3.5 weeks of solid training then a short taper no problem.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56