Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2013-04-30 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Subject: RE: 'The' Gun Thread
I'm Eastern Cherokee and I approve of this message

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pro-gun-native-american-billboar...
Pro-Gun Native American Billboard Draws Criticism

2013-04-30 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4720380

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

DanielG - 2013-04-30 8:16 AM I'm Eastern Cherokee and I approve of this message http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pro-gun-native-american-billboar... Pro-Gun Native American Billboard Draws Criticism

I was reading about some of the hoopla on that sign this morning.  What's interesting is that people are missing the point.  One lady being interviewed was saying she didn't see the correlation to taking guns away and the government placing people on reservations.  Um, hello it's not about putting people on reservations.  It's about the half million plus Native Americans that were slaughtered prior to creating the reservations.

2013-04-30 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4720563

User image

tuwood - 2013-04-30 10:54 AM

I was reading about some of the hoopla on that sign this morning.  What's interesting is that people are missing the point.  One lady being interviewed was saying she didn't see the correlation to taking guns away and the government placing people on reservations.  Um, hello it's not about putting people on reservations.  It's about the half million plus Native Americans that were slaughtered prior to creating the reservations.

If you're really interested in this:
http://georgetownlawjournal.org/articles/indians-and-guns/
http://georgetownlawjournal.org/files/2012/06/Riley.pdf

It's an interesting read.

2013-04-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4720563

User image

Expert
Central Mass
tuwood - 2013-04-30 10:54 AM

DanielG - 2013-04-30 8:16 AM I'm Eastern Cherokee and I approve of this message http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/pro-gun-native-american-billboar... Pro-Gun Native American Billboard Draws Criticism

But but but they were "enemy combatants".  They didn't have any human rights.

Never mind the whole it was us white people who were coming in and taking their land and everything

2013-04-30 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4720328

User image

Elite
Hook'em - 2013-04-30 6:45 AM

Back to the gun control debate - I thought this libertarian leaning blog made some interesting points regarding compromising on background checks:

http://www.cato.org/blog/further-thoughts-sensible-gun-legislation

Taken at face value, I do not have a problem with what was discussed. I only have a problem with adding law upon law when many are not even enforced... at a time when it is important to just "do something"... and all those something would not have stopped Columbine, West Virginia, Aurora, or Sandy Hook... the very events that everyone is demanding we stop.

The mentioned legislation would not change my life one bit (or my 2A rights), but it would also not change mass shootings one bit either... so I do not get what the point is.

2013-04-30 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4720814

User image

powerman - 2013-04-30 12:55 PM

Taken at face value, I do not have a problem with what was discussed. I only have a problem with adding law upon law when many are not even enforced... at a time when it is important to just "do something"... and all those something would not have stopped Columbine, West Virginia, Aurora, or Sandy Hook... the very events that everyone is demanding we stop.

The mentioned legislation would not change my life one bit (or my 2A rights), but it would also not change mass shootings one bit either... so I do not get what the point is.

The point is obvious if you've listened to gun control proponents:

We're going to have to take one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily -- given the political realities -- going to be very modest. . . . [W]e'll have to start working again to strengthen that law, and then again to strengthen the next law, and maybe again and again. Right now, though, we'd be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal -- total control of handguns in the United States -- is going to take time. . . . The first problem is to slow down the number of handguns being produced and sold in this country. The second problem is to get handguns registered. The final problem is to make possession of all handguns and all handgun ammunition-except for the military, police, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs, and licensed gun collectors-totally illegal.

Richard Harris, A Reporter at Large: Handguns, New Yorker, July 26, 1976, at 53, 58 (quoting Pete Shields, founder of Handgun Control, Inc.)

Mayor [Barbara] Fass: I think you have to do it a step at a time and I think that is what the NRA is most concerned about, is that it will happen one very small step at a time, so that by the time people have "woken up" -- quote -- to what's happened, it's gone farther than what they feel the consensus of American citizens would be. But it does have to go one step at a time and the beginning of the banning of semi-assault military weapons, that are military weapons, not "household" weapons, is the first step."

ABC News Special, Peter Jennings Reporting: Guns, April 11, 1991, available on LEXIS, NEWS database, SCRIPT file

In fact, the assault weapons ban will have no significant effect either on the crime rate or on personal security. Nonetheless, it is a good idea . . . . Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation.

Charles Krauthammer (nationally syndicated columnist), Disarm the Citizenry. But Not Yet, Washington Post, Apr. 5, 1996

We’re here to tell the NRA their nightmare is true! … We’re going to hammer guns on the anvil of relentless legislative strategy. We’re going to beat guns into submission!

– Rep. Charles Schumer, NBC Nightly News — Nov. 30, 1993.

We have to start with a ban on the manufacturing & import of handguns. From there we register the guns which are currently owned, and follow that with additional bans and acquisitions of handguns and rifles with no sporting purpose.

–U.S. Representative Owens, Democrat

No, we’re not looking at how to control criminals … we’re talking about banning the AK-47 and semi-automatic guns.

–U.S. Senator Howard Metzenbaum, Democrat

2013-04-30 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4720850

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Question on teaching a young or a new marksman:

If they're right handed but left eye dominant, then I have them shoot shotgun, rifle, archery left handed.

What about pistol or revolver?

(and yes, I said marksman. that includes you ladies as well

Edited by dontracy 2013-04-30 12:15 PM
2013-04-30 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4720850

User image

Elite
DanielG - 2013-04-30 11:07 AM
powerman - 2013-04-30 12:55 PM Taken at face value, I do not have a problem with what was discussed. I only have a problem with adding law upon law when many are not even enforced... at a time when it is important to just "do something"... and all those something would not have stopped Columbine, West Virginia, Aurora, or Sandy Hook... the very events that everyone is demanding we stop.

The point is obvious if you've listened to gun control proponents:
We're going to have to take one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily -- given the political realities -- going to be very modest. . . . [W]e'll have to start working again to strengthen that law, and then again to strengthen the next law, and maybe again and again. Right now, though, we'd be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal -- total control of handguns in the United States -- is going to take time. . . . The first problem is to slow down the number of handguns being produced and sold in this country. The second problem is to get handguns registered. The final problem is to make possession of all handguns and all handgun ammunition-except for the military, police, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs, and licensed gun collectors-totally illegal. Richard Harris, A Reporter at Large: Handguns, New Yorker, July 26, 1976, at 53, 58 (quoting Pete Shields, founder of Handgun Control, Inc.)
Mayor [Barbara] Fass: I think you have to do it a step at a time and I think that is what the NRA is most concerned about, is that it will happen one very small step at a time, so that by the time people have "woken up" -- quote -- to what's happened, it's gone farther than what they feel the consensus of American citizens would be. But it does have to go one step at a time and the beginning of the banning of semi-assault military weapons, that are military weapons, not "household" weapons, is the first step." ABC News Special, Peter Jennings Reporting: Guns, April 11, 1991, available on LEXIS, NEWS database, SCRIPT file
In fact, the assault weapons ban will have no significant effect either on the crime rate or on personal security. Nonetheless, it is a good idea . . . . Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation. Charles Krauthammer (nationally syndicated columnist), Disarm the Citizenry. But Not Yet, Washington Post, Apr. 5, 1996
We’re here to tell the NRA their nightmare is true! … We’re going to hammer guns on the anvil of relentless legislative strategy. We’re going to beat guns into submission! – Rep. Charles Schumer, NBC Nightly News — Nov. 30, 1993.
We have to start with a ban on the manufacturing & import of handguns. From there we register the guns which are currently owned, and follow that with additional bans and acquisitions of handguns and rifles with no sporting purpose. –U.S. Representative Owens, Democrat
No, we’re not looking at how to control criminals … we’re talking about banning the AK-47 and semi-automatic guns. –U.S. Senator Howard Metzenbaum, Democrat

I'm no Chicken Little, but I do not think it is entirely impossible for another civil war. I can't really fathom where the lines would be drawn, but I can easily fathom a rift between conservative and liberal growing so deep that it is possible. Made possible by a growing American decline as a super power, and the economic pressures that would be added by a growing government and fewer resources.

The only thing that remains unknown is that when that time comes for those to "wake up", I'm not sure what their numbers would be. That will determine if they are just some sort of rebel minority and shrugged of as a small group of extremisms, or if they indeed had some serious numbers to effect a rebellion. I do not really see that happening in my life time, but if I live long enough, I think I will have an answer as to where we are headed.

2013-04-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4720869

User image

dontracy - 2013-04-30 1:14 PM

If they're right handed but left eye dominant, then I have them shoot shotgun, rifle, archery left handed.

Get shooting glasses with the fuzzed out square or bullseye type blinders:

http://www.10pt9.com/Champion-Brillen-ISSF-eye-blinder-p417.html

Retrain the right eye or left hand.

2013-04-30 12:21 PM

User image

Elite
dontracy - 2013-04-30 11:14 AM

Yes, pistol left handed. That is generally what I hear. I have heard that from some left eye/right hand people that finally switched after all their life and improved their shooting.

I'm left/left so not much problem for me... except everything is on the wrong side.

2013-04-30 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
dontracy - 2013-04-30 12:14 PM

I'm left eye dominant and right handed as well.  A handgun is not the same big issue that a rifle is....you just have to get used to moving the gun a bit further to the left.......he should be shooting with both eyes open anyway so he'll automatically want to find the spot in front of his face where the left eye takes over.

I takes a bit of practice, like anything, but I won alot of shooting competitions as a young man being cross eye dominant.  Not a big deal to overcome.

2013-04-30 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4720911

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Left Brain - 

I'm left eye dominant and right handed as well.  A handgun is not the same big issue that a rifle is....you just have to get used to moving the gun a bit further to the left.......he should be shooting with both eyes open anyway so he'll automatically want to find the spot in front of his face where the left eye takes over.

I takes a bit of practice, like anything, but I won alot of shooting competitions as a young man being cross eye dominant.  Not a big deal to overcome.

That's what I've been thinking.

He's completely comfortable with shotgun, rifle, and archery shooting left handed. (He just moved up from .410 to a 20 gauge this weekend.  The .410 was his squirrel gun.  Now that he can handle the 20 gauge I'll take him out to the trap clinic our club has each week)

He hasn't shot much revolver yet, a .22,  and no pistol other than some airsoft.  He wants to naturally grip them right handed.

My youngest guy also seems to be left eye dominant. (I've done one of the the eye dominance test with him a number of times but haven't been 100% sure) He's too young in my opinion to be on a shotgun, but he's shooting a .22 rifle. Every time out so far, I had him on it right handed and he seems uncomfortable.  Had him just hold it left handed on a bench at home and he seems much more comfortable.  I could also see at the archery range a couple weeks ago that he was using his left eye to aim his right handed recurve.

I'm no expert by any means. So if it's best in any way for both of them to shoot everything left handed, that's what I'll have them do.  

Edited by dontracy 2013-04-30 12:44 PM
2013-04-30 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4720814

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
powerman - 2013-04-30 11:55 AM

Back to the gun control debate - I thought this libertarian leaning blog made some interesting points regarding compromising on background checks:

How has understaffing, underfunding, and blocking of an appointment to head the ATF for the last 7 years contributed to the "lack of enforcement of existing laws"?

2013-04-30 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4720953

User image

Elite
coredump - 2013-04-30 11:51 AM

How has understaffing, underfunding, and blocking of an appointment to head the ATF for the last 7 years contributed to the "lack of enforcement of existing laws"?

None. We have laws, and if a law enforcement agency says they do not have the resources to enforce them, and a legislature does not have the will to fund it.... then it has no business enacting more laws.

Edited by powerman 2013-04-30 1:12 PM
2013-04-30 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4720911

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2013-04-30 11:28 AM

My only problem is at some point I went right handed for everything else. So I fight, and play sports right handed. I do not care for isosceles, and like to stagger my feet, but it does throw me off now wanting to stand right handed, but shoot a pistol left. Rifle and bow are just rifle and bow. Like you said... I just have to practice.

2013-04-30 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4720940

User image

Pro
dontracy - 2013-04-30 12:42 PM
Left Brain - 

He's completely comfortable with shotgun, rifle, and archery shooting left handed. (He just moved up from .410 to a 20 gauge this weekend.  The .410 was his squirrel gun.  Now that he can handle the 20 gauge I'll take him out to the trap clinic our club has each week)

He hasn't shot much revolver yet, a .22,  and no pistol other than some airsoft.  He wants to naturally grip them right handed.

My youngest guy also seems to be left eye dominant. (I've done one of the the eye dominance test with him a number of times but haven't been 100% sure) He's too young in my opinion to be on a shotgun, but he's shooting a .22 rifle. Every time out so far, I had him on it right handed and he seems uncomfortable.  Had him just hold it left handed on a bench at home and he seems much more comfortable.  I could also see at the archery range a couple weeks ago that he was using his left eye to aim his right handed recurve.

I'm no expert by any means. So if it's best in any way for both of them to shoot everything left handed, that's what I'll have them do.  

Grip is VERY important in pistol shooting....arguably the most important.  If he wants to naturally grip right handed I would let him......much easier to get over the left eye dominance thing than to try to get muscle memory for a left handed grip if you are doing everything else in life with a right handed grip.

2013-04-30 1:09 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Good question.  I'm left eye dominant and right handed, but I shoot everything right handed with my right eye.  I easily qualified as Expert Marksman with both Pistol and Rifle back in my Navy days and have no issues to this day making very small groups with anything I shoot. 

Now, could I be a little better from a pure competition standpoint?  I'm not sure, but I guess my point is you can train either way and become very proficient but I have no clue what the "best" or "proper" way is.

2013-04-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4720979

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Left Brain - 2013-04-30 1:09 PM
Left Brain - 

Grip is VERY important in pistol shooting....arguably the most important.  If he wants to naturally grip right handed I would let him......much easier to get over the left eye dominance thing than to try to get muscle memory for a left handed grip if you are doing everything else in life with a right handed grip.

That's kind of my thought too.  I'd even go one step further to say that trigger control is even more important than grip.  Trigger control gets the first shot on target and grip is for the follow up shots.  Both very important though. 

2013-04-30 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4720892

User image

Expert
Central Mass
powerman - 2013-04-30 1:21 PM
dontracy - 2013-04-30 11:14 AM

Yes, pistol left handed. That is generally what I hear. I have heard that from some left eye/right hand people that finally switched after all their life and improved their shooting.

I'm left/left so not much problem for me... except everything is on the wrong side.

Nothing like getting a facefull of black powder.

(Most flintlock rifles are ONLY right handed, for good reason.  The primer in the pad blow out sideways.  If you stand in a line with other guys, you get flaming powder sprayed on the left side of your face from your neighbor if they put a little too much in the pan, and your a good 2' away.  I don't want to know how it feels next to your cheek lol.  But, on the other hand, all MBR flintlocks don't even have sights.)

2013-04-30 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4720992

User image

Pro
tuwood - 2013-04-30 1:17 PM
Left Brain - 

That's kind of my thought too.  I'd even go one step further to say that trigger control is even more important than grip.  Trigger control gets the first shot on target and grip is for the follow up shots.  Both very important though. 

For a kid, grip is the base...it just is.  After you learn to shoot then trigger control overtakes grip...in fact, we drill by pulling the trigger WITHOUT any grip at all....just use pressure on the trigger to hold the gun in the crook of your hand and pull backward....no grip needed. Laughing  It's the best trigger control drill I know.

2013-04-30 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4720979

Veteran
Vicksburg
Left Brain - 

Exactly, my wife is right handed and left eye dominant.  She grips right handed.  We recently took a firearms course and she out shot 39 of us, and she doesn't shoot that often.

2013-04-30 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4720965

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
powerman - 2013-04-30 12:58 PM

None. We have laws, and if a law enforcement agency says they do not have the resources to enforce them, and a legislature does not have the will to fund it.... then it has no business enacting more laws.

Are you in favor of giving the ATF the resources it needs to enforce the existing laws and allowing a director to be confirmed?

2013-04-30 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4643301

User image

Elite

The ATF, needs a director. I do not know who that should be.

Laws either need to be enforced, or removed from the books. If we do not have the resources to enforce them, then either get them, or get rid of the law.

If we do not enforce the current laws, but want them in place for special cases, then I can't see how enacting more laws, are going to do anything. If the laws are not going to solve the problem they are enacted for, then they are bad laws and should not be enacted.

It's not complicated.

2013-04-30 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4721393

User image

powerman - 2013-04-30 6:07 PM

The ATF, needs a director. I do not know who that should be.

Laws either need to be enforced, or removed from the books. If we do not have the resources to enforce them, then either get them, or get rid of the law.

If we do not enforce the current laws, but want them in place for special cases, then I can't see how enacting more laws, are going to do anything. If the laws are not going to solve the problem they are enacted for, then they are bad laws and should not be enacted.

It's not complicated.

Not sure what the ATF has to do with the majority of gun laws. The ATF was a tax collecting organization, that's why it was Treasury Department. Only after Clinton decided the ATF needed to do church fires did it go away from that and it got switched to Department of Justice.

There was a newscaster that held up a 30 round magazine during a newscast about gun laws. The newscast was from DC where the magazine was black and white illegal. No exceptions. The DC police did not arrest this person. Has nothing to do with the ATF.

Pretty much every state has straw purchase laws. Federally there are both straw purchase and conspiracy laws. Bloomberg hired people to go straw purchase in various states. That sounds like the definition of conspiracy. No arrests were ever made. ATF has little to nothing to do with that. FBI does conspiracy laws. ATF had public confessions of these crimes, it is not like they actually had to spend money to investigate them, yet they did nothing.

The ATF has regularly shown itself to be quite the jack booted thugs the Democrat declared them to be on an open mic on the Congress floor. Oh, that's the diatribe the NRA quoted but people who want to denigrate the NRA keep falsely attributing to the NRA as the originator.

The ATF's primary mission is tax collection, not law enforcement. It's a shame people don't look into such things more.

2013-04-30 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4721368

User image

coredump - 2013-04-30 2:46 PM
powerman - 2013-04-30 12:58 PM

Are you in favor of giving the ATF the resources it needs to enforce the existing laws and allowing a director to be confirmed?

I'm in favor of the Federal Government doing a LOT better job of prioritizing it's responsibilities and allocating the funding for their priorities.

Our Federal Govt. doesn't have a problem with revenue and the ability to do the things it is required to, it has a problem of taking on things it has NO business being involved in.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » 'The' Gun Thread Rss Feed  

of 48