BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-05-19 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
Hey guys, just got online first time since race day.  I will complete a longer race report over the next day or two, here's the short report on what happened at my race...i finished swim perfect, bike went real well, pushed at end, maybe slightly hard, but really no regrets on that portion either, then the run, first 6 miles below plan...bad move #1....last 7 were a BIG challenge, started walking the aid stations...smarter move...then down to last mile...visions of finish line, skipped aid station...HUGE mistake...finish line never seemed to come...kept pushing HARD...FINAL mistake...barely remember entering finisher chute....COLLAPSED after crossing finish line with heat stroke/exhaustion.  I woke up in the ambulence, they said I had a temp of 107!  I couldn't remember much at that point but asked if I had finished, they said yes and held up my finishers medal that was on my lap. 

Basically, I followed my plan really well until the run and was doing about 30 sec ahead of pace for first 6 miles, that made a difference I think (to the neg.), then I skipped the last aid station and dropped my pace to 9:04 ppm for mile 13...end of story for me.  I am fully recovered and hanging out in Sarasota at my brothers place.  The doctors kept me in for 48 hours to hydrate and monitor me, but they said I recovered extremely fast, pretty much 100% by Monday morning, other than normal muscle damage that is probably still recovering.  I really never felt any muscle pain, still don't, so I feel I blew away my time, never knew I was hitting a sub 6 hr race, I probably would have slowed down on the run had I just checked my garmin.  Plus heart rate was in 170s and hit 184 in final mile...I had the tools and info, just didn't use it in last mile(s).  Oh well, I definitely learned a lot from this and need to digest what this all means.  Obviously, my family is concerned with me doing this now.

I h?ope everyone is doing we?l?l??. ????I'll catch up over the next few days as I took the rest of the week off and ?w?e? ?a?r?e? staying in beautiful Sarasota.

2010-05-19 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

THANK YOU TEAM DAVIDSON FOR ALL THE SUPPORT YOU HAVE GIVEN ME!!! 

It truly meant/means the world to me, especially after this crazy experience.  I know I would not have crossed that finish line without you guys.

I love you man.

2010-05-19 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Wow! What a story! I am so glad you had great care at the race site, great care at the hospital and are recovering. Take it easy - you certainly deserve it!

From all of the race reports of Florida HIM, I have heard that the run was really rough on everyone - hot, challenging course, no break from the sun...many folks have said they won't do the Florida course until the run route is changed.

Just tell your family you need to do your next HIM in the Northeast - much more user-friendly.

Please take care of yourself...so glad to hear from you.
2010-05-19 6:57 PM

User image

NH
Awesome story Matt, glad you got across and had no lasting problems.  One of the great parts of these races is the support at all levels, medical included.

I've heard that math and logic skills do start to wane as the time wears on, so it sounds like you hit that point and I'm sure the heat was a big piece of it.  I've heard the same things that Jennifer said about that run course - brutal with no breaks from the sun.  And it was hot even for Florida at this time of year.

I agree the Northeast is a good venue for a next event, and I know of a great race in Sept. at which I'm pretty positive heat won't be an issue!
2010-05-20 6:08 AM
in reply to: #2868196

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-05-19 11:37 AM
aarondavidson - 2010-05-19 11:14 AM

I learned my lesson last night. I am NOT qualified to fix my own bikes.

Details and pictures please.

What could have been a 15s adjustment on the rear deraileur turned into a 2+hour adjustment. No blood. Half the time if I work on the bike I end up bleeding. It does not matter if I am doing a tire change or what.

2010-05-20 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2869265

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-05-19 4:49 PM Hey guys, just got online first time since race day.  I will complete a longer race report over the next day or two, here's the short report on what happened at my race...i finished swim perfect, bike went real well, pushed at end, maybe slightly hard, but really no regrets on that portion either, then the run, first 6 miles below plan...bad move #1....last 7 were a BIG challenge, started walking the aid stations...smarter move...then down to last mile...visions of finish line, skipped aid station...HUGE mistake...finish line never seemed to come...kept pushing HARD...FINAL mistake...barely remember entering finisher chute....COLLAPSED after crossing finish line with heat stroke/exhaustion.  I woke up in the ambulence, they said I had a temp of 107!  I couldn't remember much at that point but asked if I had finished, they said yes and held up my finishers medal that was on my lap. 

Basically, I followed my plan really well until the run and was doing about 30 sec ahead of pace for first 6 miles, that made a difference I think (to the neg.), then I skipped the last aid station and dropped my pace to 9:04 ppm for mile 13...end of story for me.  I am fully recovered and hanging out in Sarasota at my brothers place.  The doctors kept me in for 48 hours to hydrate and monitor me, but they said I recovered extremely fast, pretty much 100% by Monday morning, other than normal muscle damage that is probably still recovering.  I really never felt any muscle pain, still don't, so I feel I blew away my time, never knew I was hitting a sub 6 hr race, I probably would have slowed down on the run had I just checked my garmin.  Plus heart rate was in 170s and hit 184 in final mile...I had the tools and info, just didn't use it in last mile(s).  Oh well, I definitely learned a lot from this and need to digest what this all means.  Obviously, my family is concerned with me doing this now.

I h?ope everyone is doing we?l?l??. ????I'll catch up over the next few days as I took the rest of the week off and ?w?e? ?a?r?e? staying in beautiful Sarasota.

Really glad you are ok. It is hard to run slow at first. You come off the bike with your legs warmed up ready to go and you start running feeling slow but when you check your pace it tends to be faster than normal. I have been there and struggled as well. Sounds like a great learning experience.

Burned at all?

2010-05-20 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
mdfahy - 2010-05-19 4:49 PM Hey guys, just got online first time since race day.  I will complete a longer race report over the next day or two, here's the short report on what happened at my race...i finished swim perfect, bike went real well, pushed at end, maybe slightly hard, but really no regrets on that portion either, then the run, first 6 miles below plan...bad move #1....last 7 were a BIG challenge, started walking the aid stations...smarter move...then down to last mile...visions of finish line, skipped aid station...HUGE mistake...finish line never seemed to come...kept pushing HARD...FINAL mistake...barely remember entering finisher chute....COLLAPSED after crossing finish line with heat stroke/exhaustion.  I woke up in the ambulence, they said I had a temp of 107!  I couldn't remember much at that point but asked if I had finished, they said yes and held up my finishers medal that was on my lap. 

Wow, Matt... that's a little scary.  It sounds like you ran a good race, but that Florida heat, combined with that nasty run course is what did you in.  Kudos on finishing... But, 107 temp!!! Yikes!  I must have read some of the same race reports as everyone else because it sounds like the FL IM 70.3 run course is pure torture.  Since your first two legs of the race and the first half of the run were so strong, I think your takeaway from this is to continue to hydrate HEAVILY on the second half of the run, particularly on a day that is 90+ degrees.  Good job and glad you're OK!
2010-05-20 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2870109

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-05-20 7:08 AM

wbayek - 2010-05-19 11:37 AM
aarondavidson - 2010-05-19 11:14 AM

I learned my lesson last night. I am NOT qualified to fix my own bikes.

Details and pictures please.

What could have been a 15s adjustment on the rear deraileur turned into a 2+hour adjustment. No blood. Half the time if I work on the bike I end up bleeding. It does not matter if I am doing a tire change or what.

I'm so lucky to have a couple of cycle heads here at work, complete with full maintenance setups in their cars.  I basically bring my bike in, they pull out their gear, and do whatever I need.  They actually like doing it sometimes.  I'm trying to learn by watching, but without all their cool tools it would be tough to replicate what they do.

I'm with you in that even changing my seat position seems to take 10 times longer than I expect and I need a drink when I'm done.

2010-05-20 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2870343

User image

NH
billsorg - 2010-05-20 9:10 AM
Wow, Matt... that's a little scary.  It sounds like you ran a good race, but that Florida heat, combined with that nasty run course is what did you in.  Kudos on finishing... But, 107 temp!!! Yikes!  I must have read some of the same race reports as everyone else because it sounds like the FL IM 70.3 run course is pure torture.  Since your first two legs of the race and the first half of the run were so strong, I think your takeaway from this is to continue to hydrate HEAVILY on the second half of the run, particularly on a day that is 90+ degrees.  Good job and glad you're OK!

And I'd say heavily hydrate throughout the day; once you're behind it's impossible to catch up.  I've also read some studies showing that body hydration can be increased by aggressively hydrating in the 2 or 3 days before an event.  Take care for electrolytes if you drink a ton of water though.
2010-05-20 11:39 PM

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2010-05-19 1:49 AM Hey guys, just got online first time since race day.  I will complete a longer race report over the next day or two, here's the short report on what happened at my race...i finished swim perfect, bike went real well, pushed at end, maybe slightly hard, but really no regrets on that portion either, then the run, first 6 miles below plan...bad move #1....last 7 were a BIG challenge, started walking the aid stations...smarter move...then down to last mile...visions of finish line, skipped aid station...HUGE mistake...finish line never seemed to come...kept pushing HARD...FINAL mistake...barely remember entering finisher chute....COLLAPSED after crossing finish line with heat stroke/exhaustion.  I woke up in the ambulence, they said I had a temp of 107!  I couldn't remember much at that point but asked if I had finished, they said yes and held up my finishers medal that was on my lap. 

Wholly Smokes!!!!  Matty...I am glad you are OK!!!  That sounds pretty scary.  I can see why your family is a little concerned and are hesitant to let you race again! Wink

Definitely a learning experience!!  Great job in any case....you certainly deserved that medal, you earned it!!!  I think we all can learn from each other's mistakes.  Thanks for sharing that with us. You ANIMAL!!!!
2010-05-20 11:43 PM
in reply to: #2867725

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-05-18 6:21 PM Rene- NICE RUN.  It gives me hope that at my age I may get some of my speed back if I work hard.  Very impressive run.

Thanks Everyone for the compliments on the race!!!  My calves are paying the price. Still stretching.  I started a new job this week so I can't seem to get to the PT so I am rolling on my own.

I wanted to do an Oly at the end of this month but decided not too because of the drive for it (3 hours one way) and my calves aren't ready.  I am signing up for a sprint in early June. 

Hope everyone's training is going well!! 

2010-05-21 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA

I missed my morning bike ride (it was supposed to be my long ride - hour and a half).  I got a horrible night sleep... Please pardon me while I rant about sportsmanship for a minute, or five.  Skip this if you have anything of importance to do...

Sometimes, I let people that are A-holes get under my skin way too much.  At my 10yo daughter's softball game last night, I got so pissed at the other team's coach.  He basically told his catcher that if our batters weren't stepping out of the batters box when a runner was stealing, he should throw the ball and intentionally hit the girl in the batters box so the girl running would be out.  I called him out on it and said he couldn't be serious.  He then yells at me telling me that I need to do a better job of coaching my girls or they're going to get hurt.  I'd say half of my girls are in their first year of softball, so they don't know the nuances of the game.  But instead of keeping my composure, I got up in this guy's face and basically told him he was a disgrace to youth sports and he should be ashamed of himself. 

He's the type of coach that yells at his girls when they strike out rather than saying, "good swing, you'll get the next one."  One of my girls even pointed that out to me... "Coach Bill; why is he so mean to his girls?"  My daughter was visibly upset with my altercation out on the field and kept asking me if I was OK.  I said that it's a game, we had a disagreement, and we all shake hands at the end and say "good game". 

So at the end of the game, I go to shake this guy's hand, he looks at my hand and starts to walk right past me.  I put my hand on his shoulder and held out my hand and said, "Is that really the type of coach you want to be?"  He half-heartedly shakes my hand, grumbles and walks away.  My blood has been boiling ever since.  What kind of person is this that's teaching our kids "sportsmanship"?  I'm tempted to call the program director today to give him the story, but why can't I let this go?

2010-05-21 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

Wow!  Matt.  Incredible story.  You hae a great story to tell your grandkids.  Congratulations are your finish and I'm glad everything turned out OK.

2010-05-21 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Bill, I hear you on the coaching.  Before this year I have coached 12 and under softball for 6 years running.  I took this year off to train "full time".  I have seen all kinds of bad sportsmanship.  Your exact scenario actually. It's crazy.  My wife is the parks and rec director here.  I know that she doesn't want that kind of coach in her program.  Who ever is in charge of youth sports would like to hear about that kind of coaching I am sure.  Also with my wife as the director, I have had to go be security at youth football and basketball games.  Crazy!  All you can do is be a good role model for your own kids.

About your scenario.  The batter does not have to get out of the way of the catcher's throw.  It's only interference if the batter intentionally moves in the way of the catcher. (ie. the batter fake bunts during a steal and "accidentally" falls towards home plate)  It is the catcher's duty to go around the batter.  Most youth softball coaches came from a baseball background and automatically assume the rules are the same.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-05-21 12:24 PM
2010-05-21 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Bill - you have every right to be angry. That's unacceptable. The message it is sending to the girls on his team is awful. My husband is coaching my girls (ages 7 and 9) softball team and every single parent of every single participant in the league must sign a "behavior contract" that prohibits any of that kind of behavior. If a parent does do anything inappropriate - they and their kid is suspended for the rest of the season.

I would talk to the league director. 10 year olds playing softball should be learning the basics, having fun and playing outside for a few hours a week - not being harassed. (Now you've got me up on my soapbox!)

What a great example you set for your kids and the other girls on the team.

2010-05-21 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Rene, Awesome run. Sorry to hear about your calves...keep that ice and elevation going.

Matt, wow...just wow. First I'm glad to hear you're ok. Second, that's a huge inspiration for me to hear about someone really going hard. I don't think I've ever gone so hard that I was "done" at the end of anything. I'll try not to take it to far but get some of your spirit of bustin'.

Works really slammin me these days so apologies to the group for no being around as much. Hopefully will calm back down in a week or three.

2010-05-21 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I missed my bike ride Wednesday night due to 'inclement weather'.  This passed 4 miles south of my house, and shortly thereafter touched ground.  We spent the evening at my inlaws because whenever it rains our satellite goes out.  We didn't want to be without T.V. with this monster coming our direction.  (and also the inlaws have a basement).  Just another Oklahoma May.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-05-21 10:14 AM

(joy tornado.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
joy tornado.JPG (18KB - 14 downloads)
2010-05-21 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Amazing picture, Ray... glad it stayed clear of your house!  Now THAT would be one nasty headwind!!! 
2010-05-21 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2873721

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
billsorg - 2010-05-20 11:32 PM Amazing picture, Ray... glad it stayed clear of your house!  Now THAT would be one nasty headwind!!! 

and tailwind, and crosswind, and headwind, and tailwind, and crosswind....
2010-05-21 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2873841

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-05-21 12:06 PM
billsorg - 2010-05-20 11:32 PM Amazing picture, Ray... glad it stayed clear of your house!  Now THAT would be one nasty headwind!!! 

But if you hit it just right on the right track, imagine the time you could post!

As far as that story Bill, it's so indicative of a lot of Americans I think.  Where is the enjoyment aspect of sports (or life really)?  In 10 years, how many of those girls will still be playing a sport they could love for life if they had a chance?  So many people make everything about ultra-achievement and do it in a way that sucks all the life out of the activity.  And what is a coach like that trying to teach the kids?  I just don't get it.

We had a Brazilian soccer coach stay with us during a camp a few years back.  We got to talking about how many kids around here get burned out due to their youth sports experience.  Interestingly, he said that doesn't really happen where he's from.  Apparently, up to U12 they don't even keep score and in fact change teams up very frequently, sometimes after every goal!  And they encourage the kids to freestyle and just do what comes naturally without too much emphasis on plays and rules and such.  As for the fulfilling your potential part, he said the list of World Cup players coming from their program is quite large, so it's not just ham and eggers.  Hmm ....

One thing my dad said about people like that coach stays with me: don't let them upset you, in fact pity and pray for them - they have to live with themselves every day all day, you only have to deal with them for a little while here and there.
2010-05-21 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2873984

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
wbayek - 2010-05-21 12:54 PM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-05-21 12:06 PM

But if you hit it just right on the right track, imagine the time you could post!

As far as that story Bill, it's so indicative of a lot of Americans I think.  Where is the enjoyment aspect of sports (or life really)?  In 10 years, how many of those girls will still be playing a sport they could love for life if they had a chance?  So many people make everything about ultra-achievement and do it in a way that sucks all the life out of the activity.  And what is a coach like that trying to teach the kids?  I just don't get it.

We had a Brazilian soccer coach stay with us during a camp a few years back.  We got to talking about how many kids around here get burned out due to their youth sports experience.  Interestingly, he said that doesn't really happen where he's from.  Apparently, up to U12 they don't even keep score and in fact change teams up very frequently, sometimes after every goal!  And they encourage the kids to freestyle and just do what comes naturally without too much emphasis on plays and rules and such.  As for the fulfilling your potential part, he said the list of World Cup players coming from their program is quite large, so it's not just ham and eggers.  Hmm ....

One thing my dad said about people like that coach stays with me: don't let them upset you, in fact pity and pray for them - they have to live with themselves every day all day, you only have to deal with them for a little while here and there.

Thanks, Warren (and everyone)!  You hit the nail right on the head.  When my daugher and I were walking to the car, I saw him, his wife and his daughter and they were all yelling at eachother.  What a fun household that must be.  I feel especially sorry for their poor kid.

2010-05-22 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I finally got some time to put my race report together:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=209159

Enjoying Sarasota through tomorrow, it's been a great unanticipated vacation, then we will try to make Disney (Magical Kingdom) with my wife and daughter (15 mos) Monday and fly back home Monday evening.
2010-05-23 10:12 AM

User image

NH
Thanks for the report Matt.  I'm agree with Bob that I've never pushed an event to the edge.  I need to learn a bit from you on that score, maybe not quite to the level you did but close.

I'm glad your recovery went well and you're ok.  Do you have the green light to train on?  Enjoy the last few days of vacation.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well.  I had one of my best rides ever yesterday.  Felt great and went crazy fast for me even without really pushing to the max.  Maybe this stuff is starting to work!
2010-05-23 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I hope Matt's on his way home and enjoying his time off! Nice way to go on the bike ride, Warren. Was this the one where you were riding the bike out the cottage and your family was driving out to meet you? Sounds great!

I did a sprint yesterday (mostly to help a friend finish her first, but also to get out there and see how things were going)...not too thrilled with the results (Race report here). The good news is my pace increased for both the swim and bike, just not as much as I would like. The run results I can't figure out...supposedly I ran a 9:43 pace last year for the same distance at the Mainiac...based on what I know now - that would be surprising to me (these legs just don't move that fast normally - and most likely not after swimming and biking).

The big disappointment to me was the swim. It just felt bad. It was a pool swim with waved start. I was in Wave 10 - which meant I started swimming about 2 hours after transition closed (and 2 hours after I ate my last "snack" and 1 1/2 hours after the "start" of the race - leaving plenty of time to get REALLY nervous). I didn't feel particularly tip top getting into the water and then felt like a brick with arms for the whole swim. Unfortunately - I let it get to me and beat myself up about it for the first part of the bike. I need to learn how to shake stuff like that off better. It was so disheartening, I am considering swimming the rest of this season (since I've already signed up for my schedule), and maybe switching to duathlons. It's probably too soon to be making a decision like that - but I really am frustrated.

On the positive side - after looking at the race results this morning, I came downstairs to tell my husband...wah, wah, wah, I came in 96/294...wah, wah, wah...and he laughed and said, "Only you Jennifer would be unhappy to come in the top third of the second race you completed. Just the previous race, you were happy to finish." Good point.

Hope you all have a great weekend. I'm going to drown my sorrows in a long run. It's spectacular out!
2010-05-23 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2873328

User image

Elite

bfoyle - 2010-05-21 10:19 AM Rene, Awesome run. Sorry to hear about your calves...keep that ice and elevation going.

Matt, wow...just wow. First I'm glad to hear you're ok. Second, that's a huge inspiration for me to hear about someone really going hard. I don't think I've ever gone so hard that I was "done" at the end of anything. I'll try not to take it to far but get some of your spirit of bustin'.

Works really slammin me these days so apologies to the group for no being around as much. Hopefully will calm back down in a week or three.

For sure I have sprinted and been very tired and sore at the end, but never like that.

Same here between work and training.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76