BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-20 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

I have another wetsuit question on size.  I am considering an Xterra suit (let me know if this is a mistake or not!) and I seem to be right on the line between small or medium.  Height wise I'm fine.  The weight I'm right on the edge.  The line is 155 and I'm at 153.  I don't think I'll be able to lose much more weight - maybe just a few pounds.  Upper body/shoulders aren't extra broad.

What do you think? Small or medium?

2011-06-20 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3557533

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Trout - 2011-06-20 9:01 AM

Ran a local 5k on Saturday.  Finished 2nd overall with a time of 17:31.  Very happy with the result and feel that things are starting to come together.  My first tri of the season is in two weeks.

A fellow triathlete in my area just started his own business selling carbon wheels (www.ridecarbon.com) and he asked if I wanted to use a set of demo wheels for my upcoming tri!  Can't wait to try them out.

Ken - he's giving a set of wheels to the male/female winners of the Musselman HIM. 

I think I'll be ordering a wetsuit today as well.

Awesome time!  I want to be like you when I grow up.  Crap, I'd be glad to break 27 one day.

Wetsuit - Many friends got Xterra this spring. Haven't heard a complaint.  Sizing was off the chart.  No one had to send their back.  I'm no expert but for 2 pounds, I'd go up, not down.  They are made to be tight but you want to breathe. 

2011-06-20 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3557786

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-06-20 11:32 AM nice work on the marathon training, Ken!

Thanks Vivian!
2011-06-20 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3558105

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
IceManScott - 2011-06-20 1:27 PM
Trout - 2011-06-20 9:01 AM

Ran a local 5k on Saturday.  Finished 2nd overall with a time of 17:31.  Very happy with the result and feel that things are starting to come together.  My first tri of the season is in two weeks.

A fellow triathlete in my area just started his own business selling carbon wheels (www.ridecarbon.com) and he asked if I wanted to use a set of demo wheels for my upcoming tri!  Can't wait to try them out.

Ken - he's giving a set of wheels to the male/female winners of the Musselman HIM. 

Awesome time!  I want to be like you when I grow up.  Crap, I'd be glad to break 27 one day.

Wetsuit - Many friends got Xterra this spring. Haven't heard a complaint.  Sizing was off the chart.  No one had to send their back.  I'm no expert but for 2 pounds, I'd go up, not down.  They are made to be tight but you want to breathe. 

I hear ya on the 'wanting to breathe' part.  I'd be on the very low end of the medium scale.  The weight range for the medium goes all the way up to 184 which is what worries me.  I don't wanna be swimming in my suit while open water swimming!

2011-06-20 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3558079

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-20 1:20 PM

I have another wetsuit question on size.  I am considering an Xterra suit (let me know if this is a mistake or not!) and I seem to be right on the line between small or medium.  Height wise I'm fine.  The weight I'm right on the edge.  The line is 155 and I'm at 153.  I don't think I'll be able to lose much more weight - maybe just a few pounds.  Upper body/shoulders aren't extra broad.

I am going to disagree with Ice on this one, I think you should go with the small simply due to you being in the middle of the range height wise and still under weight.  Plus your comments about the shoulders.  Most online wetsuit retailers have a pretty liberal return policy so if it doesn't fit, send it back.  Make sure when you put it on the first time you get the crotch all the way up or it will make the shoulders tight by having the torso not long enough.  

It will feel small and it will take some getting used to, but the key to a good fit is making sure you have full range of motion in the shoulders and arms.

Don't forget the bodyglide on the neck!  You don't want a wetsuit hickey, it draws all sorts of funny looks!

XTerra is a fine suit from what I am told.  I believe if you have joined USAT you get a discount, but not sure how much. 
2011-06-20 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3557321

User image

Veteran
Arvada
marvintpa - 2011-06-20 6:18 AM

Did my first sprint distance race, finished 47/60 in my age group, still a very slow 1:37.05 but improving.

Decent swim, dropped chain on bike and could only use large chain ring for half the ride, led to my fastest average bike speed (likely just a flatter course), and fastest run per km speed yet, despite a bunch of walking (went too hard on the bike, good lesson to learn).

441 out of 600: 509 on the swim, 236 bike and 535 run, so it's pretty clear where I have to put in the miles

Congrats! Sounds like a good race to me!

I was a little dissapointed in my race. I'm sure part of it was the lack of training in the week prior. But my swim was the worst..I didn't panic but I could not breath, I never ever caught my breath and I'm pretty sure I never swam more then 6 strokes without then changing to side stroke or breast stroke to try and catch a breath, but really all it did was make me more tired. I've never had a swim like this..at least not since I first started. The rest of the race went pretty smothly although I had hoped for a little improvment. And of course after a not so good race you start to doubt everything. The olympic distance of the series is coming up in 3 weeks and the 70.3 four weeks after that. I don't feel prepared. And my running is really behind. I've posted a full race report with a couple pics of Kathleen and I on my blog if anyone is interested.

2011-06-20 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Trout - 2011-06-20 8:01 AM

Ran a local 5k on Saturday.  Finished 2nd overall with a time of 17:31.  Very happy with the result and feel that things are starting to come together.  >

NICE!!!!!
2011-06-20 2:31 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-20 8:18 AM

Did my first sprint distance race, finished 47/60 in my age group, still a very slow 1:37.05 but improving.

Decent swim, dropped chain on bike and could only use large chain ring for half the ride, led to my fastest average bike speed (likely just a flatter course), and fastest run per km speed yet, despite a bunch of walking (went too hard on the bike, good lesson to learn).

441 out of 600: 509 on the swim, 236 bike and 535 run, so it's pretty clear where I have to put in the miles

Great job! 

Races do gave a tendancy to show us our opportunities for improvement!
2011-06-20 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3558292

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-06-20 2:39 PM

Congrats! Sounds like a good race to me! I was a little dissapointed in my race. I'm sure part of it was the lack of training in the week prior. But my swim was the worst..I didn't panic but I could not breath, I never ever caught my breath and I'm pretty sure I never swam more then 6 strokes without then changing to side stroke or breast stroke to try and catch a breath, but really all it did was make me more tired. I've never had a swim like this..at least not since I first started. The rest of the race went pretty smothly although I had hoped for a little improvment. And of course after a not so good race you start to doubt everything. The olympic distance of the series is coming up in 3 weeks and the 70.3 four weeks after that. I don't feel prepared. And my running is really behind. I've posted a full race report with a couple pics of Kathleen and I on my blog if anyone is interested.

I wouldn't let one race after a week where you had to back off get you down.  Just pick up the plan and move ahead!  Your next race will be fine! 

ETA: Just finished reading your blog, good report!   (I might have to try the lasagna cupcakes too!)

Edited by kenj 2011-06-20 2:37 PM
2011-06-20 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3558234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-06-20 1:15 PM
Trout - 2011-06-20 1:20 PM

I am going to disagree with Ice on this one, I think you should go with the small simply due to you being in the middle of the range height wise and still under weight.  Plus your comments about the shoulders.  Most online wetsuit retailers have a pretty liberal return policy so if it doesn't fit, send it back.  Make sure when you put it on the first time you get the crotch all the way up or it will make the shoulders tight by having the torso not long enough.  

It will feel small and it will take some getting used to, but the key to a good fit is making sure you have full range of motion in the shoulders and arms.

Don't forget the bodyglide on the neck!  You don't want a wetsuit hickey, it draws all sorts of funny looks!

XTerra is a fine suit from what I am told.  I believe if you have joined USAT you get a discount, but not sure how much. 

Sorry must have misread.  I thought there was just a 2 pound difference.  By all means, you don't want to be swimming in your wetsuit if you know what I mean.  I'm going to get a sleeveless too. Deciding between Xterra which I would have to buy online or an Ironman which a store here carries.  The Xterra does have a liberal 30 day return policy, I've been told.  Takes the worry out of being wrong. 

2011-06-20 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Congrats to all that raced this past weekend. Kenj great long training run. Trout dam I wished I could run that fast..Everyone keep up the great training and keep reaching for your goals.

2011-06-20 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3556437

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

kenj - 2011-06-19 11:05 AM
shake-n-bake - 2011-06-19 9:34 AM Happy Father's Day to me with an 8.25 mile run this morning 1:15:00.. LaughingFor real Happy Father's Day yo all the fathers in our group..

Great job with the run!
First long run of this marathon training plan, 17 miles!  Glad to have that done for the week!

Happy Fathers Day to all of you Dad's!

Great job you two!!

2011-06-20 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Congrats! Having only a large chain ring is tough. Way to go.

2011-06-20 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Trout - 2011-06-20 8:01 AM

[/QUOTE

Jeeze, that is fast!!!  I don't know how you do it. Great job! 

2011-06-20 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Mini race report.

As Julie mentioned, the swim was rough. Trying to find some open water was very difficult and I ended up swimming far left of the bouy just so I could move forward.  Lots of contact. Right at the finish, this guy from the wave behind me hits me in the head as he swims on by. He wasn't wearing goggles ( I don't think) and was breathing on the side I was on so he saw me. This is the second time in two races where I have been hit in the head by a guy right before the finish of the swim. Not going to lie.. it pisses me off. I know I need to get used to the contact but some of it seems a bit excessive.  Anyway...

The bike went pretty well and I was able to walk/jog in my new shoes. Hate that my cleats get so scratched up though.

The run was tough as always but I did a bit better this year then last. I believe the course was a little short but I still had a better time then I did in the past. 

The weather was cloudy for a good part of the race and my teeth were literely chattering while waiting for the swim to start. I poured some water on my head at the last run aid station but then both Julie and I were looking for sunshine to warm up in after the race. It was just one of those odd weather days. Did get a good sunburn while on the bike though.  Boulder really bakes in the summer. 

Every race I do, I think... "man this is hard, how am I going to do...... (insert race name here)?".  Having an Ironman hanging over my head is crazy... but I still "think I can" (at least at this moment).

2011-06-21 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3559148

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-06-20 11:02 PM

Mini race report.

As Julie mentioned, the swim was rough. Trying to find some open water was very difficult and I ended up swimming far left of the bouy just so I could move forward.  Lots of contact. Right at the finish, this guy from the wave behind me hits me in the head as he swims on by. He wasn't wearing goggles ( I don't think) and was breathing on the side I was on so he saw me. This is the second time in two races where I have been hit in the head by a guy right before the finish of the swim. Not going to lie.. it pisses me off. I know I need to get used to the contact but some of it seems a bit excessive.  Anyway...

The bike went pretty well and I was able to walk/jog in my new shoes. Hate that my cleats get so scratched up though.

The run was tough as always but I did a bit better this year then last. I believe the course was a little short but I still had a better time then I did in the past. 

The weather was cloudy for a good part of the race and my teeth were literely chattering while waiting for the swim to start. I poured some water on my head at the last run aid station but then both Julie and I were looking for sunshine to warm up in after the race. It was just one of those odd weather days. Did get a good sunburn while on the bike though.  Boulder really bakes in the summer. 

Every race I do, I think... "man this is hard, how am I going to do...... (insert race name here)?".  Having an Ironman hanging over my head is crazy... but I still "think I can" (at least at this moment).

Other than the first 200 yards or so of an IM start (or any large wave start) I cnnot under stand how you can hit someone in the head if you are swimming straight!  Back of the legs yes, but the head no.  Certainly inconsiderate!

Nice race otherwise! 

No doubt if you do the work you will successfully finish your IM!  And I know you will do the work.  You have the last race of the season so this group will stay with you till the end!!

2011-06-21 9:42 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Swimming straight?

Do people do that?

None of the ones who've kicked me in the head recently were what I'd call particularly straight. It seems like people sight and then just make whatever radical correction is required, timing and others be damned.

2011-06-22 4:23 AM
in reply to: #3559728

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-21 10:42 AM

Swimming straight?

Do people do that?

None of the ones who've kicked me in the head recently were what I'd call particularly straight. It seems like people sight and then just make whatever radical correction is required, timing and others be damned.

There is some truth to that!
2011-06-22 4:24 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Here is a pic of the new pup!  She sure is keeping me busy (as has work lately!)

Molly

There are a couple of more on my logs!
2011-06-22 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3561373

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

kenj - 2011-06-22 5:24 AM Here is a pic of the new pup!  She sure is keeping me busy (as has work lately!)

Molly

Cute pup!  Hope she doesn't chew up all of your running shoes!!

OK Ken - how the heck did you post a pic to the forum and especially to your logs?!  This process is driving me crazy.

2011-06-22 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
It isn't the easiest thing until you have done it a few times.  But basically you need to put the photos into an album, next to your name.  The biggest problem is getting the pictures under 200KB or mb I can't remember which.  There are some resizing software available for free.  The one I use is http://www.irfanview.com/  .  Once you get the picture down to size and loaded into an album, you right click the picture and click on properties.  About half way down the page you will see the picture address.  Copy this and then go and open either a forum post or blog post.  In the 2nd command line a little more than halfway across is a picture, just to the right of the anchor.  Click on that and it opens a box.  Past in the image location in the first box where it asks for the image url.  I think you have to put a name in the next box to but I have no idea what the does, but it does prompt for that to be done.

Let me know if this works or if I have confused you more.

2011-06-22 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3561570

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-22 9:14 AM

kenj - 2011-06-22 5:24 AM Here is a pic of the new pup!  She sure is keeping me busy (as has work lately!)

Molly

Cute pup!  Hope she doesn't chew up all of your running shoes!!

OK Ken - how the heck did you post a pic to the forum and especially to your logs?!  This process is driving me crazy.

BTW, funny you mention the shoes, she loves to play with them and occasionally falls asleep with her head on one.  Fortunately I have a couple pair that are past their prime I will give her to play with and put the good ones out of reach.
2011-06-22 9:22 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Just a small word of caution: if you train her that eating shoes it ok you don't get to complain when she gets ahold of a good one.

What kinda dog is she?

2011-06-22 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Power test last night on the Computrainer.  20 min all out effort.   New FTP is 318 watts, up 4% from 306 in just two months.  Now it needs to translate to faster speed on the bike. 
2011-06-22 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3561718

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-22 10:22 AM

Just a small word of caution: if you train her that eating shoes it ok you don't get to complain when she gets ahold of a good one.

What kinda dog is she?

I know, so far only nuzzling them, she is pretty good about using the toys to chew on.  I kind of think she gets some comfort from my scent.  This morning she pulled my neck pillow I use for flying off the shelf and fell asleep on it. 

She is a chocolate lab.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72