BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-07-20 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3436601

Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

open water coach was great. NO new techniques but someone watching and telling me what im doing and what to change!!! .Interval running must be working< ran for time 3.1 after bike ride (although short 8 mile) averaged just over 8 min miles (thats my best so far) Bike coach this saturday!!!

2011-07-20 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3604861

User image

Master
Dallas
mikjamlec - 2011-07-19 6:34 PM

Ernesto, me again.  So I've been doing the 'slow run' for two months now.  Hard to believe how time flies!  You checked over my training routine to make sure it was reasonable, and gave me the green light.  You also reviewed a run of mine for execution, and advised me to try a slower pace so I didn't have to walk, which I did.  While I've had some inconsistency, I'm doing what I can, and in the past week I've increased my frequency for running.

In reviewing the book I looked for some definitions of the MAF test.  He talks a great deal about it, but doesn't give specifics on what exactly to do other than run at maximum heart rate and measure it by some consistent measure (distance, pace, etc).  Since almost every run I do has that goal (keeping HR at max), I figure the group of runs over this time should indicate my progress.

Most of the time my runs are about 45 minutes, but there were three that I've had over this time span that were at least an hour, so I figure these might be good benchmarks for progress.  Here are the dates and paces that I got, keeping my HR at max:

5/21 - 14.55 minutes/mile

7/2 - 15.3 minutes/mile

7/12 - 18.86 minutes/mile

These are not the results I was hoping for.  If you graph my average pace, you will see a steady deterioration over the past two months, especially in the past 10 days.  It seems the further away I get from actually running, the worse my pace is to maintain max.

I have to conclude that either I'm doing something wrong, or this just ain't working for me.  I absolutely hate running now, because I can't run.  I shuffle along waiting for something to improve, and it's not.  I can think of half a dozen things I might try to change, but at this point I'd just be shooting in the dark, and quite frankly, I'd rather just go back to running like most people.  Then, some years from now when I can put up a decent pace and solid numbers, then I can fine tune my heart rate.  So, before I ditch this training technique, do you see anything that I am missing that can yet turn this around?  I know that not every training technique is for everybody, and perhaps this one just isn't for me at this point.

I appreciate your insight.

Mike

Mike,

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated. One thing I'll tell you is affecting your run is the heat, on 5/21 it was much "colder" than now. It will affect dramatically. The other thing Mike is not being consistent with the training. You had several weeks where you ran no more than 1:20hrs, sorry but that is not enough to see progress. This last one you seriously ramped up and that could be the reason you slowed down on the las example too.

I would advice this, train with a method and try to stick to it, increase mileage but slowly and be patient. The summer is no time to get faster.

2011-07-21 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3607343

User image

Houston, Texas

ernestov - 2011-07-20 9:31 PM

Mike,

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated. One thing I'll tell you is affecting your run is the heat, on 5/21 it was much "colder" than now. It will affect dramatically. The other thing Mike is not being consistent with the training. You had several weeks where you ran no more than 1:20hrs, sorry but that is not enough to see progress. This last one you seriously ramped up and that could be the reason you slowed down on the las example too.

I would advice this, train with a method and try to stick to it, increase mileage but slowly and be patient. The summer is no time to get faster.

Thanks for the feedback.  I hope you don't mind, but I want to look deeper at your assertions because I would really like to understand what I can change to make this work. 

First, I will grant you that inconsistency must be a factor, but I think to simply say that I've had several weeks where I ran no more than 1:20 isn't enough.  It matters which weeks and what happened after.  In the 9 week period from week ending 5/21 to 7/16 I had 4 weeks that I ran fewer than 1:20.  But three of those weeks were in weeks 2, 3, and 4 (week 4 was 1:07).  I know that skipping training is detrimental, but you can also get back on the horse after falling off.  In the next three weeks I was consistent, and put up paces of 15.88, 16.15 and 15.57 minutes / mile.  How many weeks does it take to recover from skipping a week?  I don't know about you, but under my prior training, within one week I was usually back to where I had been prior to missing.

The next time I missed a week, I came back with increased frequency.  My average pace for the week was 17.41, a 10% decrease!  Why?  Missing a week certainly would be a factor on day one of the return, but I would expect that over 5 days of running, I would return to my previous levels of 15-16 minutes per mile.  I didn't.

So, could it be the heat?  Well, I run at 5:45 in the morning, and typically the heat doesn't bother me.  However, I went back and got historical temperatures for my zip code going back through May, averaged them for the week and did some graphs (yes, I'm a nerd).  June was unusually hot for Houston, so the weekly averages in weeks 5,6, and 7 were roughly the same as in July.  In fact, week 6 where I posted the average pace of 16:15 was the hottest (77), which probably accounted for the rise in pace.  However, in week 9 the temp was about the same as in week 6, and my pace was 8% worse.

All of these comparisons are using consistency and temperature to explain why my progress is not EVEN.  But I'm not looking to maintain, am I?  If you ignore the first 4 weeks and call it 5 weeks of this kind of training, can't I expect ANY kind of increase?  Seems like the other folks in this group are making progress.  I know you say summer is no time to get faster, but I shouldn't be getting slower either.  If maintenance is all I'm looking for, why start heart-rate training now anyway?  Why don't I just keep running every day and then work on the Maffetone method in cooler weather?

While consistency is a factor, I just don't think it accounts for such a decrease in performance.  I don't think it's the heat either.  Take a look at my runs last week.  Most are in the 17min/mile range, except for one day where I hit 15+.  I mean, what in the world?  There's got to be something else.  I really want to make this work but I've got to feel like what I'm doing is worth something, you know?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, I assure you none of this frustration is directed toward you.  I'm just really searching for what needs to change. 

As always, your insight is much appreciated.

Mike

2011-07-21 4:11 PM

User image

Houston, Texas

OK, sorry for the big previous post.  I analyze financial information for a living.  Can you tell?  Ernesto, I know you don't have all the answers, you're quite generous volunteering your time to share your knowledge with us.  If you don't see anything glaring, don't spend another minute thinking about it.  I will be OK.  I'll keep plugging away and do the best I can with the information I have.

Thanks,

Mike

2011-07-21 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3608948

User image

Master
Dallas
mikjamlec - 2011-07-21 4:11 PM

OK, sorry for the big previous post.  I analyze financial information for a living.  Can you tell?  Ernesto, I know you don't have all the answers, you're quite generous volunteering your time to share your knowledge with us.  If you don't see anything glaring, don't spend another minute thinking about it.  I will be OK.  I'll keep plugging away and do the best I can with the information I have.

Thanks,

Mike

Well, what about setting a mileage goal per week regardless of the pace? maybe ditch Maffetone training for a few weeks until you get consistency and run by feel. Later when it starts to cool down like late October you can start again with an aerobic base? just thinking here... When a method doesn't  work it is good to try something different.

Btw, you would be the first person I've known that has tried this method and actually slowed down. Quite unusual if you ask me.

2011-07-21 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Last night I spent it in Austin (I was there for work) and had a chance to have dinner with Jackie at Pappadeaux, had some shrimp, yummy salmon, creme brulee and talked training over dinner. I wish I could meet you all some day in person, maybe we should think about a race next year and get together there...

2011-07-22 10:12 AM

User image

Master

Mike and Ernesto:

I think you have to give a solid look at when the runs are being performed.  Heat is a definite factor - especially if you are in beginning stages of building a base.  Time of day is also a factor - before meal, after meal?  My HR is always much more controlled in morning than if I run after lunch or dinner.  Having a digestive system in full operation seems to jack my HR.

I will also agree with Ernesto - just get out and run consistently.  At the end of the day run a lot, mostly easy and some fast.  I would run all easy until you get to running on a consistent basis.  Then introduce structure through a maffetone or similar program.

Just my two cents.

2011-07-23 10:48 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Today I had a great run.

Last night my outside right hip hurt. Looked up symptoms on interweb. Probably just a little bursitis. Wondered whether I should run my scheduled 8 miles. (Today is an easy pace day, so I was planning on doing the Maffetone 180 - age = 132 thing.)

Second thing is I started reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal. Really a fun read. He hasn't gotten to much about barefoot or minimalist running yet, just a bunch about this very interesting tribe in Mexico.

But he is convinced that pain is caused by bad form, and I've been convinced for a long time that bad form is caused by shoes. But shoes do offer protection. So the best way to run is with some kind of protection, but AS IF you were running barefoot. So this morning I ran my first half mile barefoot. Not enough mileage to get blisters, but enough to remember how to do it. Sort of a form tune up. Then I ran the remaining 7.5 miles in my five fingers. But in the barefoot portion I went back to the form that allowed me to run both faster and without joint pain. Basically, scampering. Very quick, very light footfalls, landing on the midfoot, straight back, steady upper body. No pain.

After I started running in my five fingers I remembered that form. And then two things happened.

1) I went faster with much less effort. I ran 8 miles at 9:02 minutes per mile with at an average heart rate of 130 beats per minute, with no mile averaging greater than 133 beats per minute.

2) It was fun! I never thought I would get to the point that running 8 miles or 72 minutes would be fun. But it seemed effortless, and I don't recall feeling that way in a long time. It started pouring rain for about a half hour in the middle, and a bunch of other crazies and I were all out circling a beautiful urban lake in a thunderstorm and having a great time. I felt as if I could have kept going forever. And this is at the end of a 41 mile week.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is to encourage everyone that improving aerobic capacity is worth it. And that this Maffetone stuff works. There is a controversy on various forums about WHY running lots of miles at low heart rates results in being able to run faster at any given heart rate. Some, like Maffetone, say it's BECAUSE you are keeping your heart rate down. Others say it's simply the miles. Your ability to run faster at a given heart rate would have happened regardless, as long as you run a lot. But either way, everyone seems to agree that if you run a lot of miles at a low heart rate, your speed at any given heart rate will increase. (The reason I agree with Maffetone is I was getting burned out at much fewer miles because I was running too fast for most of them.)

So Mike. I guess I would say don't overanalyze this. As everyone else is saying, for now, just run (or bike). But work up to getting a lot of miles in per week at whatever pace feels right. Do this for a while until you can say to yourself that you are in shape. THEN start worrying about using Maffetone's method to improve from there.
2011-07-24 8:34 PM

almost had my first fall satuday on the bike ride. Went on a group ride with coach and hit a serious bump , water bottle actually came out of cage i cought it in the air and when i tried to get tire back on the road, i started to go down , some how was able to keep it up !! riding mate said what the hell how did you catch that bottle and why???  sometimes you just need to hydrate
2011-07-24 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3611907

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-07-23 10:48 PM Today I had a great run. Last night my outside right hip hurt. Looked up symptoms on interweb. Probably just a little bursitis. Wondered whether I should run my scheduled 8 miles. (Today is an easy pace day, so I was planning on doing the Maffetone 180 - age = 132 thing.) Second thing is I started reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougal. Really a fun read. He hasn't gotten to much about barefoot or minimalist running yet, just a bunch about this very interesting tribe in Mexico. But he is convinced that pain is caused by bad form, and I've been convinced for a long time that bad form is caused by shoes. But shoes do offer protection. So the best way to run is with some kind of protection, but AS IF you were running barefoot. So this morning I ran my first half mile barefoot. Not enough mileage to get blisters, but enough to remember how to do it. Sort of a form tune up. Then I ran the remaining 7.5 miles in my five fingers. But in the barefoot portion I went back to the form that allowed me to run both faster and without joint pain. Basically, scampering. Very quick, very light footfalls, landing on the midfoot, straight back, steady upper body. No pain. After I started running in my five fingers I remembered that form. And then two things happened. 1) I went faster with much less effort. I ran 8 miles at 9:02 minutes per mile with at an average heart rate of 130 beats per minute, with no mile averaging greater than 133 beats per minute. 2) It was fun! I never thought I would get to the point that running 8 miles or 72 minutes would be fun. But it seemed effortless, and I don't recall feeling that way in a long time. It started pouring rain for about a half hour in the middle, and a bunch of other crazies and I were all out circling a beautiful urban lake in a thunderstorm and having a great time. I felt as if I could have kept going forever. And this is at the end of a 41 mile week. I guess the reason I'm posting this is to encourage everyone that improving aerobic capacity is worth it. And that this Maffetone stuff works. There is a controversy on various forums about WHY running lots of miles at low heart rates results in being able to run faster at any given heart rate. Some, like Maffetone, say it's BECAUSE you are keeping your heart rate down. Others say it's simply the miles. Your ability to run faster at a given heart rate would have happened regardless, as long as you run a lot. But either way, everyone seems to agree that if you run a lot of miles at a low heart rate, your speed at any given heart rate will increase. (The reason I agree with Maffetone is I was getting burned out at much fewer miles because I was running too fast for most of them.) So Mike. I guess I would say don't overanalyze this. As everyone else is saying, for now, just run (or bike). But work up to getting a lot of miles in per week at whatever pace feels right. Do this for a while until you can say to yourself that you are in shape. THEN start worrying about using Maffetone's method to improve from there.

Chris,

Good to see that you are a believer. I'm very pleased to see your progress, anybody that looks at your workouts can notice the big changes and the depth of your aerobic engine is MUCH greater than a couple months ago.

Just imagine all the fitness you'll get in the upcoming months...

2011-07-25 1:51 PM

User image

Master

Well, I have sidelined myself from running and cycling until this Thurs - hoping that my knee has healed and I can get back at it. 

I recently started working for a new employer that is really close to the gym I workout at - so today I finally took advantage of it and swam during my lunch.  First swim for me in forever - no stamina but it actually felt good to be back in the lanes swimming laps.  Hopefully I will get there three days a week.

2011-07-25 6:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

OK...NOW I'M BACK!!!!!

am ready to go now and training at altitude takes some work.  I've only gone out for 3 runs so far.  I posted the links.  I've taken 3 paths from the house trying to see what''s best...  Not sure there is an easy out here.  If you have a second scroll down to my elevation....  Air is rare up here!!!  I will slow down tomorrow.   Not sure where to target my heart rate right now.  All is so new.  Gotta admit I miss the beach!  Tomorrow I will try to cycle as well but possibly just on a trainer.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101771134

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101771143

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101771156

2011-07-25 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3614369

User image

Maple Grove, MN
jenputnam - 2011-07-25 6:50 PM

OK...NOW I'M BACK!!!!!

am ready to go now and training at altitude takes some work.  I've only gone out for 3 runs so far.  I posted the links.  I've taken 3 paths from the house trying to see what''s best...  Not sure there is an easy out here.  If you have a second scroll down to my elevation....  Air is rare up here!!!  I will slow down tomorrow.   Not sure where to target my heart rate right now.  All is so new.  Gotta admit I miss the beach!  Tomorrow I will try to cycle as well but possibly just on a trainer.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101771134

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101771143

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101771156

Jen,

I looked at your maps and I'm envious (again). So close to the mountains. We spent a week camping last year in Rocky Mountain National Park. I love Colorado mountains almost as much as Utah mountains. My wife and I did some great trail runs there up and down mountains. A little hard on my feet wearing Five Fingers, but such fun.
2011-07-26 3:27 AM
in reply to: #3612657

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

bbreezer1 - 2011-07-24 8:34 PM almost had my first fall satuday on the bike ride. Went on a group ride with coach and hit a serious bump , water bottle actually came out of cage i cought it in the air and when i tried to get tire back on the road, i started to go down , some how was able to keep it up !! riding mate said what the hell how did you catch that bottle and why???  sometimes you just need to hydrate

LOL, this was funny! There's something about simple tripping and falling that initially makes us laugh... Sorry.

2011-07-26 3:50 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

I feel it is my turn now to laugh at myself:

(this happened some time ago in Chicago, but I will always remember it)

I finished the ride on the lakefront path and slowly cruising home I had to cross the sidewalk to get on the street. The kerb at that point is about 1 foot high (18th Street) and you have to stop, unclip and walk the bike down to the street or, just ride on the sidewalk to the next ramp. At first I wanted to ride on the sidewalk, but when I saw some people walking their dogs on it, I made a decision in the last second to go on the street. Bike comes to a complete stop on top of the kerb, I try to unclip and BAM! Fell off the high kerb with the bike on the street. Got up, examined te bike first, it seemed fine, a guy walking his dog asked if I was OK, I said I'm fine thanks...

What happened next was like a scene from 'Dumb and dumber': I get on the bike, the chain fell off, foot didn't clip in and as I looked down to see wtf is going on - BAM! Rammed into a parked car...  The guy with the dog looked at me again and asked: "...man, are you sure you're OK...?"

When I got home my wife wanted to call an ambulance when she saw the bleeding knee, but she laughed when I told her how it happened...

2011-07-26 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3614684

User image

Master
markz - 2011-07-26 3:50 AM

I finished the ride on the lakefront path and slowly cruising home I had to cross the sidewalk to get on the street. The kerb at that point is about 1 foot high (18th Street) and you have to stop, unclip and walk the bike down to the street or, just ride on the sidewalk to the next ramp. At first I wanted to ride on the sidewalk, but when I saw some people walking their dogs on it, I made a decision in the last second to go on the street. Bike comes to a complete stop on top of the kerb, I try to unclip and BAM! Fell off the high kerb with the bike on the street. Got up, examined te bike first, it seemed fine, a guy walking his dog asked if I was OK, I said I'm fine thanks...

What happened next was like a scene from 'Dumb and dumber': I get on the bike, the chain fell off, foot didn't clip in and as I looked down to see wtf is going on - BAM! Rammed into a parked car...  The guy with the dog looked at me again and asked: "...man, are you sure you're OK...?"

When I got home my wife wanted to call an ambulance when she saw the bleeding knee, but she laughed when I told her how it happened...

While were sharing....

Years ago, back when I was 18, I was riding my road bike and had an upcoming curb to navigate.  I approached it at a slower speed and intended to bunny hop up the curb.  I timed my hop poorly and ran right into the curb.  I couldn't get my feet out of my toe clips in time (yes, before clipless pedals were completely widespread) and the bike cleanly fell to the left with my hip taking the full impact.  Feet still in the pedals as I lay on the ground.  Thankfully no one saw me.  It took about 3 years before my hip stopped aching on an regular basis.

Another story, probably 21 years old, crusing through my friends neihborhood on my new mountain bike, thought I would cruise off the road and tear through a field.  I didn't know that there was a rocky stream bed right after you leave the road...I head off the road, see the creek bed and hammer on my breaks...I fly right over the handle bars and am lucky that I land in grass and am able to dust myself off.

To the present - when I got back into cycling a few years ago it began with mountain biking.  The trail I would ride on a regular basis was pretty technical and my wife would shake her head every time I came home with new cuts, scrapes, bruises from my latest wipeout.  She could never understand why I would "punish" myself on a regular basis - I can never get past how exhilirating riding a bike with speed or power is.

2011-07-26 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Gang,

Sorry if I'm a little absent lately, I am overwhelmed with tons of work and barely have time to sit down for ten minutes. The trend seems to be more of the same in the upcoming weeks; shoot, I'm almost not working out at all and my weight has skyrocketed with the lack of training and so much eating out.

I hope it is over soon, I need my runner's high...Wink

2011-07-26 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

User image

Master
Dallas

User image

Master
Dallas

Chris,

I just saw you added barefoot to your running equipment, I know the intent but it is just too funny!!Laughing

Edited by ernestov 2011-07-26 3:35 PM
2011-07-26 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3614826

El Paso
dangremond - 2011-07-26 7:56 AM
markz - 2011-07-26 3:50 AM

While were sharing....

Years ago, back when I was 18, I was riding my road bike and had an upcoming curb to navigate.  I approached it at a slower speed and intended to bunny hop up the curb.  I timed my hop poorly and ran right into the curb.  I couldn't get my feet out of my toe clips in time (yes, before clipless pedals were completely widespread) and the bike cleanly fell to the left with my hip taking the full impact.  Feet still in the pedals as I lay on the ground.  Thankfully no one saw me.  It took about 3 years before my hip stopped aching on an regular basis.

Another story, probably 21 years old, crusing through my friends neihborhood on my new mountain bike, thought I would cruise off the road and tear through a field.  I didn't know that there was a rocky stream bed right after you leave the road...I head off the road, see the creek bed and hammer on my breaks...I fly right over the handle bars and am lucky that I land in grass and am able to dust myself off.

To the present - when I got back into cycling a few years ago it began with mountain biking.  The trail I would ride on a regular basis was pretty technical and my wife would shake her head every time I came home with new cuts, scrapes, bruises from my latest wipeout.  She could never understand why I would "punish" myself on a regular basis - I can never get past how exhilirating riding a bike with speed or power is.

Great stories !!

Last Sunday I went for an earlier than usual ride since my wife and I joined a softball team from work and games start at 8am. Time is 5.30 am, usually 6.30am that one hour made allot of difference, at first I didn't knew that anything was wrong, I was happy to see more friendly riders this early in the morning, everyone was turning their heads and with a smile on their faces just to say hi! that felt pretty good since roadies are usually not that friendly, when I arrived to my car and I where about to open the door It took me a second or to process what I was seeing, why does my head looks so funny? and it got to me, I had the helmet backwards, I started laughing at my self so hard that I txted a picture to my wife just to remind her that she is married to me,  She suggested a different route for the next weekend.

2011-07-26 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3615794

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-07-26 3:34 PM

Chris,

I just saw you added barefoot to your running equipment, I know the intent but it is just too funny!!Laughing

It gets worse. I didn't "create" that piece of equipment. I chose it from a list of equipment created by some other BT user. But I've chosen something different now. My log used to say Equipment: Barefoot barefoot. Huh? Well, the way equipment is listed is first word is manufacturer, second word is product. So if you were wearing Nike Free's, you would choose Nike from the manufacturer list and Free from the product list for Nike. So from the precreated equipment I chose "Barefoot" as the manufacturer and "barefoot" as the product. After your post, I looked deeper at what other choices I had. For instance, somebody put as a manufacturer "My mom and dad" and product "my feet".

I've changed the equipment to another choice. Manufacturer "Bare" and product "foot", which comes out as "Bare foot".
2011-07-26 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3615815

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Great stories !!

Last Sunday I went for an earlier than usual ride since my wife and I joined a softball team from work and games start at 8am. Time is 5.30 am, usually 6.30am that one hour made allot of difference, at first I didn't knew that anything was wrong, I was happy to see more friendly riders this early in the morning, everyone was turning their heads and with a smile on their faces just to say hi! that felt pretty good since roadies are usually not that friendly, when I arrived to my car and I where about to open the door It took me a second or to process what I was seeing, why does my head looks so funny? and it got to me, I had the helmet backwards, I started laughing at my self so hard that I txted a picture to my wife just to remind her that she is married to me,  She suggested a different route for the next weekend.

LOL, brilliant! If that's what it takes to see friendly smiling faces in the morning - I'm in and will give it a go... Thanks for sharing!

2011-07-26 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3609222

User image

Expert
Guatemala

ernestov - 2011-07-21 7:45 PM Last night I spent it in Austin (I was there for work) and had a chance to have dinner with Jackie at Pappadeaux, had some shrimp, yummy salmon, creme brulee and talked training over dinner. I wish I could meet you all some day in person, maybe we should think about a race next year and get together there...

Ernesto and Jackie, good to hear that you were able to meet in Austin and I like the idea of getting together for a race next year (obviously, don't expect us to keep up anywhere near you Ernesto).

Talking about races, I'm now 1.5 weeks away from my first 1/2 IM and am beginning to really get nervous, so any tips in regards to nutrition, tapering and strategy will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

2011-07-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3616068

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-07-26 6:56 PM

ernestov - 2011-07-21 7:45 PM Last night I spent it in Austin (I was there for work) and had a chance to have dinner with Jackie at Pappadeaux, had some shrimp, yummy salmon, creme brulee and talked training over dinner. I wish I could meet you all some day in person, maybe we should think about a race next year and get together there...

Ernesto and Jackie, good to hear that you were able to meet in Austin and I like the idea of getting together for a race next year (obviously, don't expect us to keep up anywhere near you Ernesto).

Talking about races, I'm now 1.5 weeks away from my first 1/2 IM and am beginning to really get nervous, so any tips in regards to nutrition, tapering and strategy will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

As far as training, next week should be much shorter duration but some intensity in it. Your last long ride should be this Saturday, and not longer than 40 miles if that. Remember that last week is not about gaining fitness, but recovering and filling up the tank.

Keep sessions short, very intense, such as track intervals 12X1'with 1' recoveries, and one session on the velodrome if you get a chance on Wednesday doing some fast laps alternating with easy ones.

Race strategy:

Swim: Place yourself somewhere close to the front but not that close, start easy and breath every single time, sight every three breaths or so. If you find someone slightly faster than you (that's why I'm telling you to get closer to the front) get directly behind him/her and draft, it will save you some energy.

Bike: Jump on your bike and take it easy and I mean easy, keep your HR under control and get the nutrition/ hydration started as soon as you get on the bike. Frequent sips (don't chug) and some kind of solid you've already tried during training. I am doing the "honey stinger waffle" and I gotta say I love it, very gentle. Disregard the idiots cranking up the pace early on, you'll find them on the run devastated or on the second half of the bike. Your easy gear and a high turnover will be the best indicator, HR LOW.

The last sixteen miles of the bike is when you will start to pick up the pace but only if you feel very strong, if not, just relax and make it to T2. Nutrition at this point should be minimal as far as solids but water is great mixed in with some gatorade too for electrolyte balance, endurolytes or saltstick will do the trick too.

Run: A half marathon is a challenge by itself, much more if you're off the bike. Your perception after 2:30 hrs on the bike will be that you are running very slow even if you are doing seven minute miles. THAT IS WHY IT IS CRUCIAL THAT YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THE GPS. Keep the first five miles 9:30 or so, trust me here.

The last 5K are going to be fast and you'll pick up people left and right, and this will be a huge motivator.

90% of folks out there mispaces the halves and fulls and then blame the heat, the course, the nutrition, the gear, whatever. When you make the jump from olys to ultra distance events (such as 70.3 or IM) the name of the game is patience. I already blew up my share of races and I can show you examples with both good and bad 70.3s that I have done, so you can get a better idea on how thin that line is.

Pre race nutrition: keep it simple, get some carbs but don't overdo it, it will give you gastric distress if you do too much. The day before the race drink a lot of Gatorade/Powerade.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84