BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-02-02 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4025602

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
abake - 2012-02-02 10:43 AM

I like that everyone is posting their January stats and goals for February.  I will give it a whirl:

I am also going to really work on nutrition and rein in the "boredom eating" and hope to be at 154 lbs by the end of February. Currently at 158.

I love that word!  

Anyhoo, if you feel like you need to fill up your tummy, snack on snow peas or green beans.  I normally do not like green veggies, but these are so EASY to just rinse, put in a bowl and snack on them, and fulfilling too. One CUP is a lot...for 20 calories. You can't beat that...I'm on green beans kick lately.   While you're still "eating", it's not very high in calories and you get a lot of "volume" to fill you tummy.  I eat it cold/raw. I don't like it cooked. 

2012-02-02 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4026182

User image

Master
Sin City

Meulen - 2012-02-02 1:55 PM Jan. totals: January's totals: Bike: 16h 08m - 335.5 Mi Run: 11h 35m 33s - 82.5 Mi Strength: 2h 45m Hmmmmmmm.....where's the swimming??? BTW....I wanted to say I REALLY enjoyed that MTB vid!! My wife and I go to Vegas a couple times a year. We found McGhies bike shop last year and rented bikes for a road ride through Red Rock. I wish I could convince her to mountain bike! I'd love to do that out there!!

:-

We should meet up sometime, and I'll hit you up with our local Bike clubs! There are a few! :-)  McGhie's is my choice of Bike Shop. :-P, that's where I got the rental Mountain Bike...they have an outpost in Blue Diamond that does Mountain Bike rentals.   Cottonwood trail is fairly easy actually, and they do have beginner rides hosted by McGhie's.

Hit me up next time you're in town!! :-)

Get your butt in the pool....your nose is missing the chlorine smell.

2012-02-02 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Welcome Brian!!!! Congrats on your January totals and weight loss - awesome!
2012-02-02 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4026175

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Meulen - 2012-02-02 4:51 PM
kenj - 2012-02-02 2:34 PM

Meulen - 2012-02-02 8:57 AM Kenj, I know it's waaay late and closed, but you don't get anywhere if you don't ask....any room for one more?

I think we can make room for another! 

Cool!!! Thanks! Sorry I'm so late everyone NAME: Meulen/Brian STORY: I'm soon to be 38 years old. I had an athletic background in HS/College. I played baseball, basketball and golf in HS and played golf in College. I weightlifted through College and ended up pretty bulky. That bulk turned to fluff pretty quick after that. I was basically your typical party animal kid through my twenties. I got married at 24 and continue to pack on lbs. till I was in my 30's. I ended up being north of 215 (I quit weighing after that in denial! ). At 6' 1" with a small frame I was pretty pudgy. It was about 4-5 years ago I finally said enough. I got back into the gym and started trying to lose weight. I then bought a hybrid bike to ride around the block because I was too heavy for my knees to run much. It was about 4 years ago I did my first indoor tri. I could barely swim across the pool! I met some poeple mountain biking after that and they sucked me into mtb racing for a year. The following year I came back to tri's and have been here ever since. My first outdoor (real tri) was Xterra Ft. Custer 3 years ago. I've done several since then, the biggest being Racine 70.3 last season. Through it all I now weigh 170lb and have been as low as 163 on race day!! FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to my AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL wife Anne Marie. She's in my cornor at every event and she even does some training and racing with me. Couldn't ask for anything more! THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I cut down the number of races I did from the prior year and focussed on two races, the Illinois marathon and Racine 70.3. Both were firsts for me in these distances. The marathon went rather well for me, but Racine beat me up! I'll be looking for revenge on this race this year. 2012 RACES: So far I'm signed up for an early half marathon in May and Racine 70.3 in July. I'll be adding a couple Oly's and maybe an Xterra or two along the way for training. Work has gotten significantly more demanding for me lately so my dreams of training for an ironman are on the wayside. WEIGHTLOSS: I'm definitely one that struggles with weight. I just lost 10lbs to get back to 170. I'd like to be more close to 160 and possibly under this year. I've been using livestrong.com to log my food and excercise. WHY I'M HERE: I've recently been hitting some walls in my training that I could use all the help and extra motivation to get over. I was in GoGoGo's group a couple years ago and he mentioned this group to me. Thanks again for taking me in!

Welcome to the group Brian..I'm interested in how you got down to 170 I've been using myfitnesspal to track my food and I have been at 195 the past 3 months with no success of the scales moving...I want to get down to 160-170 range for my races this year..Again glad to have you in our group..

2012-02-02 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

January's totals:
Bike:30m  - 6.55 Mi
Run:4h 43m 51s  - 28.12 Mi
Strength:15h 05m
Wow my totals are way low compared to others..I guess Jan. was my off season..Time to pick it up 12 weeks out from Feb. 6th for my first race...Great job everyone...
2012-02-02 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
40m 54s4.00 miles10m 14s/Mi 
Avg HR: 147
Max HR: 162
4:53 PM     
Equipment:

Warmup then 30 sec intervals with 30 sec rest x 10..Then a cool down.
1-7:40 min/mile pace
2-7:59 min/mile pace
3-8:24 min/mile pace
4-8:17 min/mile pace
5-8:17 min/mile pace
6-8:06 min/mile pace
7-8:06 min/mile pace
8-8:13 min/mile pace
9-7:51 min mile pace
10-8:17 min/mile pace

A little run tonight with the speed from my 10 intervals above..

2012-02-02 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4025583

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
GoGoGo - 2012-02-02 1:36 PM

Well, I have 2 things to report...

1.  My hamstring & knee did not respond well to last weeks upping of training g volume.  Feels better now & hopefully gonna go to spin Saturday & try again.

2.  The snow is coming daily.. Shovelling is becoming cardio!!!  If it was the 4th event in a Tri, I'd be podium!!!

R

Heinous white sh*t in my book. Good luck with that...and take it easy on the uppers..slow & steady wins the race!

2012-02-02 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Meulen - 2012-02-02 3:51 PM

Meulen - 2012-02-02 8:57 AM Kenj, I know it's waaay late and closed, but you don't get anywhere if you don't ask....any room for one more?

I think we can make room for another! 

Cool!!! Thanks! Sorry I'm so late everyone NAME: Meulen/Brian STORY: I'm soon to be 38 years old. I had an athletic background in HS/College. I played baseball, basketball and golf in HS and played golf in College. I weightlifted through College and ended up pretty bulky. That bulk turned to fluff pretty quick after that. I was basically your typical party animal kid through my twenties. I got married at 24 and continue to pack on lbs. till I was in my 30's. I ended up being north of 215 (I quit weighing after that in denial! ). At 6' 1" with a small frame I was pretty pudgy. It was about 4-5 years ago I finally said enough. I got back into the gym and started trying to lose weight. I then bought a hybrid bike to ride around the block because I was too heavy for my knees to run much. It was about 4 years ago I did my first indoor tri. I could barely swim across the pool! I met some poeple mountain biking after that and they sucked me into mtb racing for a year. The following year I came back to tri's and have been here ever since. My first outdoor (real tri) was Xterra Ft. Custer 3 years ago. I've done several since then, the biggest being Racine 70.3 last season. Through it all I now weigh 170lb and have been as low as 163 on race day!! FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to my AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL wife Anne Marie. She's in my cornor at every event and she even does some training and racing with me. Couldn't ask for anything more! THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2011 I cut down the number of races I did from the prior year and focussed on two races, the Illinois marathon and Racine 70.3. Both were firsts for me in these distances. The marathon went rather well for me, but Racine beat me up! I'll be looking for revenge on this race this year. 2012 RACES: So far I'm signed up for an early half marathon in May and Racine 70.3 in July. I'll be adding a couple Oly's and maybe an Xterra or two along the way for training. Work has gotten significantly more demanding for me lately so my dreams of training for an ironman are on the wayside. WEIGHTLOSS: I'm definitely one that struggles with weight. I just lost 10lbs to get back to 170. I'd like to be more close to 160 and possibly under this year. I've been using livestrong.com to log my food and excercise. WHY I'M HERE: I've recently been hitting some walls in my training that I could use all the help and extra motivation to get over. I was in GoGoGo's group a couple years ago and he mentioned this group to me. Thanks again for taking me in!

Welcome Brian! I too was at Racine last year, it was my first HIM. The heat and rough roads were tough for everyone. I had planned to go back for revenge this year but decided to race Rev3 Dells instead.  This is a fun group!

2012-02-02 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4026312

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
CyborgQueen - 2012-02-02 5:59 PM

I like that everyone is posting their January stats and goals for February.  I will give it a whirl:

I am also going to really work on nutrition and rein in the "boredom eating" and hope to be at 154 lbs by the end of February. Currently at 158.

I love that word!  

Anyhoo, if you feel like you need to fill up your tummy, snack on snow peas or green beans.  I normally do not like green veggies, but these are so EASY to just rinse, put in a bowl and snack on them, and fulfilling too. One CUP is a lot...for 20 calories. You can't beat that...I'm on green beans kick lately.   While you're still "eating", it's not very high in calories and you get a lot of "volume" to fill you tummy.  I eat it cold/raw. I don't like it cooked. 

what's a good sub for popcorn? I pop it on the stove, but with oil...like the salty crunchy thing...

2012-02-02 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4026312

User image

Expert
Illinois
CyborgQueen - 2012-02-02 4:59 PM

I love that word!  

Hey that is a great idea, D.J. I love green beans (snow peas are ok too) and will eat them cold out of a can. I do pretty well at work but kind of go crazy on the weekends.  Gonna go out and buy up some green beans....

2012-02-02 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4026229

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
sdswriter - 2012-02-02 5:20 PM
MarlaS - 2012-02-02 5:06 AM
sdswriter - 2012-02-01 11:41 PM

Anyways, here are my January totals (with heavy skew towards the swim):
Bike:        17h 33m 01s  - 308.35 Mi
Run:         12h 20m 15s  -  82.41 Mi
Swim:       16h 00m  -       27650 Yd
Strength:   5h 30m

- Steve

What a good month you seemed to have, too! That's a lot of mileage in the pool - bound to see good results from that. Planning same for Feb?

Thanks Marla...  I'm hoping to keep it going for Feb... we'll see. Starting next week, I'm planning on doing at least one OWS session per week. I just got my new XTerra Vector Pro wetsuit in the mail yesterday. I also picked up a skull cap, gloves, and socks. Hopefully, all that fancy stuff will keep the hypothermia away...

that's awesome! someone also told me that pouring warm to hot water down the inside of your suit before you go in can help reduce the shock of really cold water trickling into a dry suit... good luck with keeping it going...i was so looking forward to swimming tonight, but didn't make it...

2012-02-02 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4026623

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
MarlaS - 2012-02-02 8:10 PM
CyborgQueen - 2012-02-02 5:59 PM

I love that word!  

what's a good sub for popcorn? I pop it on the stove, but with oil...like the salty crunchy thing...

I haven't tried this yet, but I have heard that baked kale is good and crunchy.  Drizzle a little olive oil and sea salt and cook in oven til crisp.

not sure about cold green beans out of a can or raw.

Edited by robingray_260 2012-02-02 8:27 PM
2012-02-02 8:34 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Thanks for the welcomes!

DJ- thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when we are going out next. We were just there in December.

Shake-n-bake- my weight loss was really good old fashion diet and exercise. At first I was able to lose weight easy just by being more active and giving up soda and junk food. I won't lie, it got harder from 190-170. I really had to clean up what I ate. I stuck to a 1500 calorie/day diet and everything I ate was natural/organic. I gave up coffe at that time too. That was when I got down to 163. I get really stuck at 170. I've been stuck there now for 2 weeks on 1500 cals/day! I was doing a lot of strength training as well when I was losing. Since I don't have time for that now I'm trying something different. I'm doing short intense core workouts in the mornings before breakfast. I'll let you know how that works.
2012-02-03 4:14 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Meulen - 2012-02-02 4:51 PM

I think we can make room for another!�

Welcome to the group Brian! Looks like you have a pretty good schedule set so far!!  Congrats on the weight loss so far!

2012-02-03 4:18 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good morning gang!!

Anyone racing this weekend? 

I'm off to the cement pond this morning to do my swim clinic homework.  Hopefully a run and strength class at lunch time.  I need to get my mind around the 3 hour trainer ride on the schedule for the morning plus figure out what plan I imported for swim and run.  The Jorge bike plan goes till the end of the month when the HIM plan kicks in.  But the swim and run plan I put in place aparently ends today and whatever I put in place has runs that are like 11 minutes and swims that are 300 yards.  Oh well, I know what to do, but it is a lot easier when I don't have to think about it!

Happy Super Bowl weekend and TGIF!!!

2012-02-03 4:20 AM
in reply to: #4026652

User image

Expert
Canada

robingray_260 - 2012-02-02 10:25 PM I haven't tried this yet, but I have heard that baked kale is good and crunchy.  Drizzle a little olive oil and sea salt and cook in oven til crisp.

This my wife's new, favourite snack!  Been making it for about a month now.  I could not get over the green bit, although it sort of is like a pringle (potato chip)?!?!?

Edited by GoGoGo 2012-02-03 4:23 AM

2012-02-03 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Baked kale -- sounds interesting. I will have to give that a whirl.

Don't have to smack talk this morning - - today is a rest day. 

2012-02-03 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4026929

User image

Veteran
Georgia
GoGoGo - 2012-02-03 5:20 AM

robingray_260 - 2012-02-02 10:25 PM I haven't tried this yet, but I have heard that baked kale is good and crunchy.  Drizzle a little olive oil and sea salt and cook in oven til crisp.

This my wife's new, favourite snack!  Been making it for about a month now.  I could not get over the green bit, although it sort of is like a pringle (potato chip)?!?!?

I like Kale raw, but this sounds interesting. At what temp do you bake it?

2012-02-03 8:47 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I guess I should man up and post some goals for February.

1. Get weight below 170 and break that plateu
2. Add at least 2 swims a week for the rest of the month
3. Get acclimated to doing 2x20's at FTP on the bike so I quit blowing up during my FTP tests and finally break the plateu I've been at on the bike
2012-02-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4026960

User image

Regular
abake - 2012-02-03 5:44 AM

We tried it recently.  My parents put some in their garden at my wife's request.  There just wasn't much to it.  It took a lot to cook down to a small amount and the crisp were like air, so they just went to nothing when you put it in your mouth.

There's probably good nutrition in there, but it's hard to imagine with how little it seems like you're eating.  It also doesn't fill you up enough to be a real snack.

2012-02-03 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Denver
abake - 2012-02-03 5:44 AM

..ok, well I will smack talk for the both of us!Friday SMACK Talk: How about 10 X 1 Min Treadmill Intervals Zone 4!!! (1 min recovery of course!)It was a rude awakening of my current top end speed. I did this set at 7.1MPH/ 08:27 pace. Back in the day (Read: 2010l I use to do this set at 8.0 or (7.1, 7.2...8.0). Hoping to build into that again.

2012-02-03 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4027279

User image

Regular
Denver
Meulen - 2012-02-03 8:47 AMI guess I should man up and post some goals for February. 1. Get weight below 170 and break that plateu2. Add at least 2 swims a week for the rest of the month3. Get acclimated to doing 2x20's at FTP on the bike so I quit blowing up during my FTP tests and finally break the plateu I've been at on the bike
I just got a Power Meter and I have been too afraid to do my 2.X 20 FTP Test for fear of blowing up! I have done some power intervals for 2 min up to (3 x 6min) ... almost blew up on the 3rd interval of 6 min!What are your plans to build into 2 x 20?
2012-02-03 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4027339

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
CarlaLThompson - 2012-02-03 9:06 AM

Meulen - 2012-02-03 8:47 AMI guess I should man up and post some goals for February. 1. Get weight below 170 and break that plateu2. Add at least 2 swims a week for the rest of the month3. Get acclimated to doing 2x20's at FTP on the bike so I quit blowing up during my FTP tests and finally break the plateu I've been at on the bike
I just got a Power Meter and I have been too afraid to do my 2.X 20 FTP Test for fear of blowing up! I have done some power intervals for 2 min up to (3 x 6min) ... almost blew up on the 3rd interval of 6 min!What are your plans to build into 2 x 20?

I had computrainer class on Tuesday. We had our FTP test after 8 weeks of class. We did a 30 minute max out test. I started concervatively and built to a number slightly higher than my previous test. I ended up blowing up 22 minutes in and saved a number 7 watts lower than my previous test. To make things worse this number is below where I was at 2 years ago!! So I started last night with a 2x15' at threshold and blew up again. I didn't expect to hold it because I just tested a couple days ago. I'll do some another regular CT workout on the trainer saturday and CT class on tuesday and try the 2x20 thursday next week.

Personally, I think this is 95% mental. My FTP was 256 8 weeks ago. I tested at 249 tuesday. I hit 280 over the summer!!!! I honestly think I've got a mental block. If I use 270-280 as a baseline number in CT class I can still do the work outs. I noticed my HR was only at 150 last night when I failed on the second 15' interval. I just think I need to get past a mental block. If you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears.
2012-02-03 10:29 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
abake - 2012-02-03 6:44 AM

Baked Kale?  Must not be a northeast thing! 

I'll stick to my baby carrots and celery for snacks!  (I know, my wife keeps telling me I need to expand my horizons!)

2012-02-03 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4027279

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-02-03 9:47 AM I guess I should man up and post some goals for February. 1. Get weight below 170 and break that plateu 2. Add at least 2 swims a week for the rest of the month 3. Get acclimated to doing 2x20's at FTP on the bike so I quit blowing up during my FTP tests and finally break the plateu I've been at on the bike

Sounds like good challenging goals for the month!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72