BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 84

2011-07-26 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3436601

Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
love the bike stories, run coach for stauday hopefully no more mishaps, you never know!!!

2011-07-26 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3609222

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

ernestov - 2011-07-21 8:45 PM Last night I spent it in Austin (I was there for work) and had a chance to have dinner with Jackie at Pappadeaux, had some shrimp, yummy salmon, creme brulee and talked training over dinner. I wish I could meet you all some day in person, maybe we should think about a race next year and get together there...

Dinner was great and the training talk was greatly appreciated.  I vote for a race in Australia. 

Behind on updating my workout log, but you were right Ernesto.  I'm a much better runner in the wee hours of the morning.  I've switched everything but swimming to the AM.  Time for bed now.

2011-07-27 12:24 AM
in reply to: #3616273

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jdiis - 2011-07-26 10:23 PM

ernestov - 2011-07-21 8:45 PM Last night I spent it in Austin (I was there for work) and had a chance to have dinner with Jackie at Pappadeaux, had some shrimp, yummy salmon, creme brulee and talked training over dinner. I wish I could meet you all some day in person, maybe we should think about a race next year and get together there...

Dinner was great and the training talk was greatly appreciated.  I vote for a race in Australia

Behind on updating my workout log, but you were right Ernesto.  I'm a much better runner in the wee hours of the morning.  I've switched everything but swimming to the AM.  Time for bed now.

Good on ya Jackie, as they say here. I second this choice! But I could be biased a bit...

2011-07-27 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3615761

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
ernestov - 2011-07-26 3:15 PM

Gang,

Sorry if I'm a little absent lately, I am overwhelmed with tons of work and barely have time to sit down for ten minutes. The trend seems to be more of the same in the upcoming weeks; shoot, I'm almost not working out at all and my weight has skyrocketed with the lack of training and so much eating out.

I hope it is over soon, I need my runner's high...Wink

Ernesto, I feel your pain. Life is much the same for me now and I am such a terrible typist that I literally haven't had time to post much recently. Most of the holes in my training log are days when work won out over training! Doing my best.

2011-07-27 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3616312

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-07-27 12:24 AM

Dinner was great and the training talk was greatly appreciated.  I vote for a race in Australia

Good on ya Jackie, as they say here. I second this choice! But I could be biased a bit...

I would love to race in Australia and I will one day do the IM in Western Australia or Port MacQuarie, but doubt I'll pull that one next year. Going so far would be a lot of vacation time that I'm allocating for other trips that are in the plans already.

What about Cozumel Ironman in Thanksgiving 2012? Gabe has his sights on it, I'm either doing that one or Florida. But if one more buys Cozy, I'll do it. The others not doing Ironman can still go and get a cheap vacation (that is the off season).

2011-07-27 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3616602

User image

Master
Dallas
baurryman - 2011-07-27 9:02 AM
ernestov - 2011-07-26 3:15 PM

Gang,

Sorry if I'm a little absent lately, I am overwhelmed with tons of work and barely have time to sit down for ten minutes. The trend seems to be more of the same in the upcoming weeks; shoot, I'm almost not working out at all and my weight has skyrocketed with the lack of training and so much eating out.

I hope it is over soon, I need my runner's high...Wink

Ernesto, I feel your pain. Life is much the same for me now and I am such a terrible typist that I literally haven't had time to post much recently. Most of the holes in my training log are days when work won out over training! Doing my best.

Sorry to hear that Barry...

2011-07-27 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3616636

El Paso
ernestov - 2011-07-27 9:18 AM
markz - 2011-07-27 12:24 AM

I would love to race in Australia and I will one day do the IM in Western Australia or Port MacQuarie, but doubt I'll pull that one next year. Going so far would be a lot of vacation time that I'm allocating for other trips that are in the plans already.

What about Cozumel Ironman in Thanksgiving 2012? Gabe has his sights on it, I'm either doing that one or Florida. But if one more buys Cozy, I'll do it. The others not doing Ironman can still go and get a cheap vacation (that is the off season).

2nd this option, I would love to go to Australia, but at this point Cozumel is a better option for me.. 

2011-07-27 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3614826

User image

Expert
Guatemala
dangremond - 2011-07-26 6:56 AM
markz - 2011-07-26 3:50 AM

I feel it is my turn now to laugh at myself:

(this happened some time ago in Chicago, but I will always remember it)

I finished the ride on the lakefront path and slowly cruising home I had to cross the sidewalk to get on the street. The kerb at that point is about 1 foot high (18th Street) and you have to stop, unclip and walk the bike down to the street or, just ride on the sidewalk to the next ramp. At first I wanted to ride on the sidewalk, but when I saw some people walking their dogs on it, I made a decision in the last second to go on the street. Bike comes to a complete stop on top of the kerb, I try to unclip and BAM! Fell off the high kerb with the bike on the street. Got up, examined te bike first, it seemed fine, a guy walking his dog asked if I was OK, I said I'm fine thanks...

What happened next was like a scene from 'Dumb and dumber': I get on the bike, the chain fell off, foot didn't clip in and as I looked down to see wtf is going on - BAM! Rammed into a parked car...  The guy with the dog looked at me again and asked: "...man, are you sure you're OK...?"

When I got home my wife wanted to call an ambulance when she saw the bleeding knee, but she laughed when I told her how it happened...

While were sharing....

Years ago, back when I was 18, I was riding my road bike and had an upcoming curb to navigate.  I approached it at a slower speed and intended to bunny hop up the curb.  I timed my hop poorly and ran right into the curb.  I couldn't get my feet out of my toe clips in time (yes, before clipless pedals were completely widespread) and the bike cleanly fell to the left with my hip taking the full impact.  Feet still in the pedals as I lay on the ground.  Thankfully no one saw me.  It took about 3 years before my hip stopped aching on an regular basis.

Another story, probably 21 years old, crusing through my friends neihborhood on my new mountain bike, thought I would cruise off the road and tear through a field.  I didn't know that there was a rocky stream bed right after you leave the road...I head off the road, see the creek bed and hammer on my breaks...I fly right over the handle bars and am lucky that I land in grass and am able to dust myself off.

To the present - when I got back into cycling a few years ago it began with mountain biking.  The trail I would ride on a regular basis was pretty technical and my wife would shake her head every time I came home with new cuts, scrapes, bruises from my latest wipeout.  She could never understand why I would "punish" myself on a regular basis - I can never get past how exhilirating riding a bike with speed or power is.

To continue the spirit of sharing...

Although I have several funny (and not so funny) crash stories, I still laugh at this story from my early biking days.  When I first moved to work in the Bay Area for Hewlett Packard back in 1996, there was a group of avid cyclist in my division who invited my to start riding with them.  Here, I had not done any riding and was just getting started, so for my first ride, I borrowed a bike and showed up dressed in my loose soccer shorts (with no padding).  When asked about wearing biking shorts, I told them that there was no way I would be caught dead wearing tight lycra shorts and if anyone back in Guatemala new I was riding in lycra, I would have to change names and/or country (these were my early latino macho days, I have come a long way since then Smile).  And so I rode with the group in my cool soccer shorts.  Too make a long story short, after several intense rides with the group and not being able to sit afterwards due to the pain, I had to give in and all of sudden, tight lycra biking shorts became cool for Guatemalan's to use! The year was 1996 Wink

2011-07-27 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3616184

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-07-26 7:53 PM
sirgab - 2011-07-26 6:56 PM

Talking about races, I'm now 1.5 weeks away from my first 1/2 IM and am beginning to really get nervous, so any tips in regards to nutrition, tapering and strategy will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

As far as training, next week should be much shorter duration but some intensity in it. Your last long ride should be this Saturday, and not longer than 40 miles if that. Remember that last week is not about gaining fitness, but recovering and filling up the tank.

Keep sessions short, very intense, such as track intervals 12X1'with 1' recoveries, and one session on the velodrome if you get a chance on Wednesday doing some fast laps alternating with easy ones.

Race strategy:

Swim: Place yourself somewhere close to the front but not that close, start easy and breath every single time, sight every three breaths or so. If you find someone slightly faster than you (that's why I'm telling you to get closer to the front) get directly behind him/her and draft, it will save you some energy.

Bike: Jump on your bike and take it easy and I mean easy, keep your HR under control and get the nutrition/ hydration started as soon as you get on the bike. Frequent sips (don't chug) and some kind of solid you've already tried during training. I am doing the "honey stinger waffle" and I gotta say I love it, very gentle. Disregard the idiots cranking up the pace early on, you'll find them on the run devastated or on the second half of the bike. Your easy gear and a high turnover will be the best indicator, HR LOW.

The last sixteen miles of the bike is when you will start to pick up the pace but only if you feel very strong, if not, just relax and make it to T2. Nutrition at this point should be minimal as far as solids but water is great mixed in with some gatorade too for electrolyte balance, endurolytes or saltstick will do the trick too.

Run: A half marathon is a challenge by itself, much more if you're off the bike. Your perception after 2:30 hrs on the bike will be that you are running very slow even if you are doing seven minute miles. THAT IS WHY IT IS CRUCIAL THAT YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THE GPS. Keep the first five miles 9:30 or so, trust me here.

The last 5K are going to be fast and you'll pick up people left and right, and this will be a huge motivator.

90% of folks out there mispaces the halves and fulls and then blame the heat, the course, the nutrition, the gear, whatever. When you make the jump from olys to ultra distance events (such as 70.3 or IM) the name of the game is patience. I already blew up my share of races and I can show you examples with both good and bad 70.3s that I have done, so you can get a better idea on how thin that line is.

Pre race nutrition: keep it simple, get some carbs but don't overdo it, it will give you gastric distress if you do too much. The day before the race drink a lot of Gatorade/Powerade.

Ernesto,

Thanks for the good feedback which will be very useful to get me through my first 1/2 IM tri.  I'm actually 2.5 weeks away from the event (Aug 13), not 1.5 wks as I thought, so still have a little time to get my last good workout in!

2011-07-27 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Had one of the best runs I've had in a while this morning in Akron, OH. Even with the elevation gain and loss (hilly) the run felt effortless and scenery was great. It just goes to show how much the heat or lack thereof affects one. The temp. was 60 degrees. I haven't run in 60 degrees for at least six weeks and my heart rate averaged 15 bpm lower than my last solo run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102229805

2011-07-27 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3617927

User image

Master
Dallas
baurryman - 2011-07-27 7:34 PM

Had one of the best runs I've had in a while this morning in Akron, OH. Even with the elevation gain and loss (hilly) the run felt effortless and scenery was great. It just goes to show how much the heat or lack thereof affects one. The temp. was 60 degrees. I haven't run in 60 degrees for at least six weeks and my heart rate averaged 15 bpm lower than my last solo run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102229805

Nice run Barry, even better if you consider the lack of training lately... Now we can cry together...

2011-07-28 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Hey Ernesto and gang...

Any tips of acclimating to the altitude and hills?  I wake up in the am with a heart rate of 80+.  Should I still be trying to run at MAF?  My runs so far haven't been been.  In fact yesterday was the worst but it was warm.  I also forgot my sunglasses and had to run into the sun which was near blinding.  I really should have turned around but that meant going back up a hill that leads from my house.. Any suggestions would be great.  

Also, I am guessing that running MAF and staying aerobic for the time in Cali paid off.  I stepped on the scale and I'm a few pounds lighter and well as the lost inches....

2011-07-28 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3619689

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-07-28 4:48 PM

Hey Ernesto and gang...

Any tips of acclimating to the altitude and hills?  I wake up in the am with a heart rate of 80+.  Should I still be trying to run at MAF?  My runs so far haven't been been.  In fact yesterday was the worst but it was warm.  I also forgot my sunglasses and had to run into the sun which was near blinding.  I really should have turned around but that meant going back up a hill that leads from my house.. Any suggestions would be great.  

Also, I am guessing that running MAF and staying aerobic for the time in Cali paid off.  I stepped on the scale and I'm a few pounds lighter and well as the lost inches....

Jen, what I have read says that between three to five weeks are required to increase the red cell count to be able to transport oxygen to your muscles. After that, it should feel the same than Cali...
2011-07-28 11:06 PM

User image

Expert

Hey everybody.  Ernesto's birthday is tomorrow, Jul 29!

Happy Birthday Ernesto.  I'm glad you're our mentor.

2011-07-28 11:22 PM
in reply to: #3619689

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jenputnam - 2011-07-28 4:48 PM

Hey Ernesto and gang...

Jen, speaking from my own experience, so this may not be true for everybody:

when we were living in US we frequently travelled to Bogota, Colombia and stayed there up to 2 months at a time. Altitude 8000 feet. I used to run religiously 3x/wk (having nothing else to do...) and even did my first marathon there. What I noticed was that, like Ernesto said, after about 3 weeks running was noticably easier, but never really the same as at the sea level. To compensate for the lack of O2 I used to forcibly breathe more and slowed the pace down a bit. Walking breaks were making long distance possible for me as the accumulation of lactic acid was more noticable. Good thing about higher altitude is the fact that the temp is always lower than at the sea level... yipee. But running will always be harder, sorry.

When you happen to run again at the sea level though - you will go like a rocket (for about 2 weeks). Wink

2011-07-28 11:31 PM
in reply to: #3620051

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
jdiis - 2011-07-28 11:06 PM

Hey everybody.  Ernesto's birthday is tomorrow, Jul 29!

Happy Birthday Ernesto.  I'm glad you're our mentor.

(thanks Jackie for reminding)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERNESTO!

I'm glad I'm part of your group and thank you for the valuable insight and all the advice you give us. Hope you have a great day and enjoy some time off from work and other responsibilities.

2011-07-29 5:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Happy Birthday Ernesto!!! thanks for all you do for us. Enjoy the day!
2011-07-29 6:28 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERNESTO! Endurance sports are one way to actually look forward to reaching age milestones. (Hey, I get to be in older age group!)
2011-07-29 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3620135

El Paso

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERNESTO!!!   Hope you enjoy this day with your family and friends, and since its a Friday; well party..  party!!!Cool

Thanks for all your time and advise !! 

2011-07-29 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Happy Birthday Ernesto, hope you have a great one today with the family!  (day off from training maybe?)  Saludos!
2011-07-30 6:22 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Thanks gang for the birthday wishes, I'm going for a ride now!

2011-07-30 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Wow! today I suffered my ride, it is amazing how much work stress and lack of training can bring you down! I felt totally out of shape, overweight, bloated... I just don't know how I'll manage to get back to where I was with all the work that lies in front of me.

How's everybody else doing in this brutal summer?

2011-07-30 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3621806

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-07-30 12:39 PM

Wow! today I suffered my ride, it is amazing how much work stress and lack of training can bring you down! I felt totally out of shape, overweight, bloated... I just don't know how I'll manage to get back to where I was with all the work that lies in front of me.

Ernesto,

Isn't it obvious? It's not that you're out of shape, overweight or bloated. It's just you are a year OLDER.
2011-07-30 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3621853

User image

Expert
older2533 - 2011-07-30 2:11 PM

Ernesto, Isn't it obvious? It's not that you're out of shape, overweight or bloated. It's just you are a year OLDER.

Good one!

2011-07-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3621853

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-07-30 2:11 PM

Ernesto, Isn't it obvious? It's not that you're out of shape, overweight or bloated. It's just you are a year OLDER.
I walked right into that one, huh? I'm glad I got my gym membership back, the heat is relentless lately and no signs of relief so I'll be putting my runs on the treadmill until we go back down to the 90s. "Cool air" around here.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84