BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-03-30 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

I have finally figured out that my "gluts" are the point that is giving me the most discomfort.  I learned a new stretch for it.

Does anyone have any suggestions, comments, etc?

Thanks,  Tom

2012-04-01 6:51 AM
in reply to: #4121587

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
TLakatos1259 - 2012-03-30 6:31 PM

I have finally figured out that my "gluts" are the point that is giving me the most discomfort.  I learned a new stretch for it.

Thanks,  Tom

I like the stretch where you stand up, hold onto a door frame or something, cross one foot over one knee and lower like you're sitting in a chair. That really stretches the gluteus for me. I had that issue last year and it can be a difficult area to stretch.

I also really like this one for the piriformis
http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/leg-stretch/glute-stretch.asp

http://www.yhztrack.ca/training/stretchesforthegirls2010.pdf. HTH!

Edited by Ybeal 2012-04-01 6:53 AM
2012-04-01 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4121584

User image

Veteran
TLakatos1259 - 2012-03-30 6:28 PM

I got passed 15 minutes of jogging during my 2.5 mile loop for the first time.  I also got down to 210 lbs.  No I think I might be able to do a Tri at the end of April.  Hope everyone has a great and healthy weekend.

Q, feel better soon.

Yvonne and Jackie are really burnin' up the road:  Great job!

Great jog!!!
2012-04-01 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4119767

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

trei - 2012-03-29 6:40 PM The sign up to volunteer for IMOO starts Monday.  I think I'm going to volunteer just in case I get bit by this triathlon thing and really want to do something crazySurprised next year.

Volunteering  can be a really rewarding time.   I really enjoyed it.   My DW and kids also volunteered and they thought it was great too.      

Since you already have "the show" on your mind,  I have to think that Racine is going to lock  you into doing it.    

We may volunteer  this year there as well.

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-01 12:41 PM
2012-04-01 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4122906

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-04-01 6:51 AM

Thanks,  Tom

I like the stretch where you stand up, hold onto a door frame or something, cross one foot over one knee and lower like you're sitting in a chair. That really stretches the gluteus for me. I had that issue last year and it can be a difficult area to stretch.

I suck at stretching.  not sure that little revelation helps, but its true.  

2012-04-01 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4120094

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
quincyf - 2012-03-29 10:46 PM

Ugh, I want to post more but I've been seriously laid up since yesterday with either tonsillitis or the flu. Either way I want to stab myself in the eye. Or the tonsil. Whatever. Anyway, this has been a sick year for sure, and not just for me. What's up with that? Coincidence? Hysteria? What?

Anyone else going anywhere for spring break? 

I'm sick as well.   Funny I thought I was immune to being sick  ha!   Sore throat, head cold.     I agree this has been a crazy year for people getting sick.   Very unusual I think.

We will be touring the great metropolis that is Gurnee for spring break.   Actually spring break  is over.  The girls back in school tomorrow. 

2012-04-01 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

Hey everyone, haven't been around for a while and haven't trained much either so haven't had a lot to offer. That is until now. In the spirit of the Easter season and all the HB eggs in our future. see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-u7sog6oM8&feature=related

So, to put a Tri theme on this, the time savings gained from this can now be used for training

2012-04-02 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4122906

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2012-04-01 7:51 AM

Thanks,  Tom

Thanks Yvonne,

These look a little different than what I have so far.  I will try them later.

Tom

2012-04-02 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Hey peeps, I know we just got archived by the powers that be.     I'm hoping y'all will stick around and we can keep this thing together through the rest of the year.    

One interesting development for me.    A few years ago, was having some knee issues.   I had heard that Glucosamine/Chondroitin  was helpful for some people.   As a runner, I thought, "dang  my knees/joints need all the help they can get"   I started taking it religiously twice a day.   After some time with physical therapy etc,  the pain went away.    All the while I was taking the Glucosamine/Chondroitin    I could not attribute the improvement to it as there are many factors.      Research goes both ways with this stuff as quackery and major relief.    Who knows??    I sure didn't but thought   "hmmm  can't hurt??"  

Anyhow  3 years later   I had been taking the stuff every day.      Well not long after my "run every day" streak ended,  We ran out and i did not get anymore.  Why?  don't know  kept forgetting to get more.   So didnt have any for 3 weeks.    Ya know my foot/toe joint pain has curbed my running and made me feel like I may not be able to run blah blah whine, whine,  woe is me.   Anyhow.....    I went to Costco  and finall got more Glucosamine/Chondroitin.   After a few days of taking it,  guess what???   the pain is MUCH better!  seriously improved.   The only thing different is that I started taking the stuff again.      I will tell you what,   I still do not know, and I am no research scientist,  BUT   in my humble opinion.    THIS STUFF WORKS!!!!

Oh yeah I should add that the makers of Glucosamine/Chondroitin as well as Costco do not endorse me or sponsor me in ANY way.   But I am STILL totally for sale.   send me an e-mail  or call my agent.   Oh that's right I don;t have an agent either.    c'mon you know you can get ahold of me if you really want to.  

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-02 10:17 AM
2012-04-02 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4123518

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sammeg - 2012-04-01 5:54 PM

Hey everyone, haven't been around for a while and haven't trained much either so haven't had a lot to offer. That is until now. In the spirit of the Easter season and all the HB eggs in our future. see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-u7sog6oM8&feature=related

So, to put a Tri theme on this, the time savings gained from this can now be used for training

You know I now need to try that!

2012-04-02 10:34 AM

Rochester
So I did my first 5k yesterday. Came in 96th out of 600. Time 30:23. They had said "friendly hills". They lied. My version of a friendly hill is roughly a little more then a speed bump but I think there was a sign saying something about Mount Rushmore. Lol.

There were a couple of moments that I was like WTF, quiting is never an option for me, but I was definetly working hard a few times. In those moments I was saying to myself, don't come in last. That helped me.

The volunteers at the event were awesome. It was a great time. I have definetly caught the bug so I have a few more races coming up in the next 2 months.

2012-04-02 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4124521

User image

Veteran

peterflagg - 2012-04-02 11:34 AM So I did my first 5k yesterday. Came in 96th out of 600. Time 30:23. They had said "friendly hills". They lied. My version of a friendly hill is roughly a little more then a speed bump but I think there was a sign saying something about Mount Rushmore. Lol.

There were a couple of moments that I was like WTF, quiting is never an option for me, but I was definetly working hard a few times. In those moments I was saying to myself, don't come in last. That helped me.

The volunteers at the event were awesome. It was a great time. I have definetly caught the bug so I have a few more races coming up in the next 2 months.

Way to Go! Great time and 96 out of 600 is fantastic!!  

2012-04-02 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4124469

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-04-02 11:14 AM

Hey peeps, I know we just got archived by the powers that be.     I'm hoping y'all will stick around and we can keep this thing together through the rest of the year.    

One interesting development for me.    A few years ago, was having some knee issues.   I had heard that Glucosamine/Chondroitin  was helpful for some people.   As a runner, I thought, "dang  my knees/joints need all the help they can get"   I started taking it religiously twice a day.   After some time with physical therapy etc,  the pain went away.    All the while I was taking the Glucosamine/Chondroitin    I could not attribute the improvement to it as there are many factors.      Research goes both ways with this stuff as quackery and major relief.    Who knows??    I sure didn't but thought   "hmmm  can't hurt??"  

Anyhow  3 years later   I had been taking the stuff every day.      Well not long after my "run every day" streak ended,  We ran out and i did not get anymore.  Why?  don't know  kept forgetting to get more.   So didnt have any for 3 weeks.    Ya know my foot/toe joint pain has curbed my running and made me feel like I may not be able to run blah blah whine, whine,  woe is me.   Anyhow.....    I went to Costco  and finall got more Glucosamine/Chondroitin.   After a few days of taking it,  guess what???   the pain is MUCH better!  seriously improved.   The only thing different is that I started taking the stuff again.      I will tell you what,   I still do not know, and I am no research scientist,  BUT   in my humble opinion.    THIS STUFF WORKS!!!!

Oh yeah I should add that the makers of Glucosamine/Chondroitin as well as Costco do not endorse me or sponsor me in ANY way.   But I am STILL totally for sale.   send me an e-mail  or call my agent.   Oh that's right I don;t have an agent either.    c'mon you know you can get ahold of me if you really want to.  

I'm no scientist either (understatment of the year, the science fair for my third grader intimidates me, but I digress) but this is PROOF ENOUGH FOR ME   I've got some sitting in my cabinet, along with other lonely supplements, I have to keep reminding myself that just BUYING them is not enough, I actually have to TAKE THEM!!  Embarassed

Glad you're feeling better!

Edited by Ybeal 2012-04-02 11:15 AM
2012-04-02 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4123194

User image

Signed up to be a "bike catcher" per Quincy's recommendation at Monona Terrace  12:30-5:30.  Also signed up to run the southshore half marathon this weekend in Milwaukee.  I thought since I was going to hometown for Easter might as well work off the ham.  Rode the bike 3 hours 20 minutes this past weekend (cadence 90ish) - Thanks for the push, Dave.

2012-04-02 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4121584

User image

Hey Tom nice job on your run.  Always remember "where you came from".  Every time I pass that 3 mile marker when I do my long weekend runs now I think back to the first time when 3 miles was my long run and I thought I would never make my goal (the marathon at the time).  I just pass that spot with a big smile on my face now.

Edited by trei 2012-04-02 12:40 PM
2012-04-02 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4124894

User image

Veteran
trei - 2012-04-02 1:33 PM

Signed up to be a "bike catcher" per Quincy's recommendation at Monona Terrace  12:30-5:30.  Also signed up to run the southshore half marathon this weekend in Milwaukee.  I thought since I was going to hometown for Easter might as well work off the ham.  Rode the bike 3 hours 20 minutes this past weekend (cadence 90ish) - Thanks for the push, Dave.

You're getting the bug now! I've also started looking for races wherever I'm going to be travelling

That's a long ride you had, way to go! I'm still trying to fall in love with biking, so far, not so much...

2012-04-03 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran

Ok, I am a scientist, BS & MS  in chemistry.  Glucosamine/chondroitin do work for me. Yes my knees hurt when I stop taking it.  I also am sporadic in taking it even though I know better.  I take it with V-8 so it doesn't upset my stomach.  And if nothing else, the placebo pyschology of it all helps too.

Run Long and Perspire!

Yvonne, maybe what you need is a big cushy seat for your bike.  Years ago I used a spenco gel pad for my seat until I got used to a lot of riding.  DO THEY STILL MAKE THEM? 

YES, I hope we keep our group together since we've been relegated to archives!

2012-04-03 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4127209

User image

Veteran
TLakatos1259 - 2012-04-03 12:29 PM

Ok, I am a scientist, BS & MS  in chemistry.  Glucosamine/chondroitin do work for me. Yes my knees hurt when I stop taking it.  I also am sporadic in taking it even though I know better.  I take it with V-8 so it doesn't upset my stomach.  And if nothing else, the placebo pyschology of it all helps too.

Run Long and Perspire!

Yvonne, maybe what you need is a big cushy seat for your bike.  Years ago I used a spenco gel pad for my seat until I got used to a lot of riding.  DO THEY STILL MAKE THEM? 

YES, I hope we keep our group together since we've been relegated to archives!

Well, I actually DO neet a new seat Embarassed But I just find biking boring....I really need to find a group ride or something so it's more interactive...plus I'm a chicken about riding on roads so I ride on trails, but most of them around here are flat and I really need to ride some hills, which would mean roads.  I know, HTFU right?!?

2012-04-03 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4127310

User image

Well, I actually DO neet a new seat Embarassed But I just find biking boring....I really need to find a group ride or something so it's more interactive...plus I'm a chicken about riding on roads so I ride on trails, but most of them around here are flat and I really need to ride some hills, which would mean roads.  I know, HTFU right?!?

I've only been on the trainer so far, and it can get boring.  Gotta get outside one of these days.  I have quite a few movies on my TIVO, so I usually watch one of those for a certain time, then in order to see the ending I have to get back on the bike. 

Also Quincy, I got the triathlon seat post you suggested and it really helps to keep me in aero position.

2012-04-03 9:58 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Well we can keep the archived group going.   OR OR  y'all are welcome to join the new tour once it gets out of the mentor staging area.    So please feel free to join the Mys-tri tour group "The sequel"    We know that its really helpful to get to know others and experience other groups too.    But if you want some more of the tour,  you are IN!

Honestly the archiving thing took me by surprise though I should have known it was coming.     I have really enjoyed getting to know you guys and watch your growth.    I'll continue to pay attention and root for ya 

2012-04-03 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4127650

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
trei - 2012-04-03 1:38 PM

I've only been on the trainer so far, and it can get boring.  Gotta get outside one of these days.  I have quite a few movies on my TIVO, so I usually watch one of those for a certain time, then in order to see the ending I have to get back on the bike. 

Also Quincy, I got the triathlon seat post you suggested and it really helps to keep me in aero position.

I know the road can be a bit scary to ride on.  trails are fun but I love being on the road on a bike.   I do know I'm lucky living on the edge of civilization in northern IL  so I can find good roads to ride on without heavy traffic.   But its mostly sheer joy on the roads and all the places you can go.  

One of my fav things to do is plot a GPS coordinate on my Garmin 405  and just use the arrow on the watch and distance from the pin.   Then I "get" to take whatever roads I see and know as long as its not a dead end,  I'm making some sort of progress to my destination.    Lots of fun.   anyhow  I do encourage you guys to take to the road.    Hopefully its "the road less traveled by"

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-04-03 10:06 PM

2012-04-03 10:10 PM
in reply to: #4124894

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
trei - 2012-04-02 12:33 PM

Pretty awesome to have the fitness to just "drop in" on a half mary whenever you feel like it.  Isnt it?      Good luck/Enjoy!

Was this ride on the trainer???   If so you are THE MAN!   heck of a nice ride even if it wasn't on the trainer.      

2012-04-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4128598

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-04-03 10:58 PM

Well we can keep the archived group going.   OR OR  y'all are welcome to join the new tour once it gets out of the mentor staging area.    So please feel free to join the Mys-tri tour group "The sequel"    We know that its really helpful to get to know others and experience other groups too.    But if you want some more of the tour,  you are IN!

Honestly the archiving thing took me by surprise though I should have known it was coming.     I have really enjoyed getting to know you guys and watch your growth.    I'll continue to pay attention and root for ya 

I'll re-inlist!  Waiting for it to be posted.

IT'S BASEBALL SEASON - HOPE YOUR O's LOOK BETTER THAN MY METS.

2012-04-04 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4128621

User image

Yeah it is pretty cool to be able to run that distance on short notice.

I did bike that on the trainer, but on Saturday and Sunday combined not on just one day.  Got through the last part of Inception and Little Fockers. 

I'll head over to the new group.  Thanks for your help thus far...feeling more confident, but we will see if that is the case come my first triathlon in June.

2012-04-04 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4120094

User image

Expert
Hammond
quincyf - 2012-03-29 10:46 PM

Ugh, I want to post more but I've been seriously laid up since yesterday with either tonsillitis or the flu. Either way I want to stab myself in the eye. Or the tonsil. Whatever. Anyway, this has been a sick year for sure, and not just for me. What's up with that? Coincidence? Hysteria? What?

Anyone else going anywhere for spring break? 

I think it's going around the group - lol. I've got some type of cold/flu or laryngitis thing going. Making training very difficult. I'm supposed to run my first 10k Saturday and am starting to wonder if I'll be able to.
Sorry I haven't posted much either. My grandpa fell and broke his hip a few weeks ago and it's just been a nightmare for our family trying to take care of him. We also had a family camping trip mixed in there. My car started acting flukey a couple days before so had to juggle no transportation, get car fixed or don't go camping aggravation in there as well. And that's just the condensed version.
I have been trying to catch up but feel like I'm so far behind that I just have to start towards the last page of posts. Sorry if I missed something important or any personal breakthroughs, etc.

Hope everyone is training as well as they can and "may the legs be with you".

Shelly
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44