BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-24 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4592016

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
kevinbe - 2013-01-23 8:39 PM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-01-23 6:23 PM

Charles - I've been there... It takes a while but that time will improve.  At least you look cooler than all the other guys in the pool.  Do they do Master Swimming classes at your pool?  Masters classes are good ways of getting some help with your stroke.  They are usually taught by an instructor who gives you a little 1 on 1 time to improve your stroke.  Heres a link: http://www.usms.org/lmsc/ 

There'sa master's group in a nearby town - I think I am going to join in the spring; I am focusing on building base right now, and the biggest hurdle is checking my ego and doing the drills and focusing on form, instead of running myself into the ground.

On the good news front, I scored a new, in-box, factory-sealed Cycleops Fluid 2 trainer for $150 off craigslist today.  I'll be sure to play with it this weekend.

Nice work on the trainer.  That's a great buy.

I got ejected from my rec league hockey game last night.  My little man's syndrome kicked in to high gear, and one of the youngsters started calling my mom bad names.  It gave my team a lift however, and they were able to put a couple in at the end of the 3rd for a well earned win.

That being said, I'm already tired tonight, and know that 5 am is coming awfully early.  Got to get out the door for my run tomorrow, so I'm posting it here so I can have much shame if I take the cowards way out and lay on the couch instead of getting out there and getting it done.

I hope you had some choice words about his mom AND his sister!  Would have loved to have seen that game!

2013-01-24 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4592014

User image

Expert
lp3510 - 2013-01-23 8:37 PM

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted anything on the forum. Haven’t had much to
say in regards to exercise. I’ve been devoting my time to study for the gmats
(test this weekend), finishing the nursey (all done!) and like many other
people recovering from a cold. With all that I haven’t really been able to hit
the gym as much as I like.

But with the test nearing, the baby’s room being complete and this cold finally
gone I can focus on my workouts. Tomorrow will be my first time back in the
pool in over 3 weeks. My plan for the rest of the week is below. Wish me luck!

• Thursday- Morning Swim
  • Friday- Evening
    • Racquetball
  • Saturday- Off
  • Sunday
    • Racquetball in the morning;
    • followed by a repeat of Thursdays swim workout.

Welcome back Lenny!  It sounds like you've been busy.  Thanks for posting and good to see your plan for the week.  Racketball, huh?  God, I love racket ball.  I used to play for beer in college.  Hmm, so that's where it began...

2013-01-24 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4592461

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
thor67 - 2013-01-24 8:14 AM
bobddsmd - 2013-01-23 7:54 PM
Qua17 - 2013-01-23 8:07 PM

Woke up this morning at 4:30 and got in 30 minutes of yoga.  I've got to say - I'm really enjoying the Yoga.  I am really tight with very litle flexibility and I really feel the stretch - especially in my back when doing the poses.  I'm really hoping it helps me avoid injury this year.

This afternoon, my wife took the kids and I was able to get in 35 minutes on the bike.  I was listening to an 80's station on pandora and would go hard during the verses and easy during the choruses.  I got a pretty decent workout in - and to finish it off with a little Twisted Sister - does it get any better? Wink

I really tried to protect the plumbing on this ride - my thickest bike shorts and I tried to rest my weight on my pelvis bones... Hope that helps - but that familiar ache is returning... 

Tomorrow is my long run and swim... Giving some thought to getting my run in early with the hopes of spending some family time on Thursday night.  

great work on the Yoga. I think it will do some wonderful things for you this year. Even though p90x made me hate yoga class, I still will do several poses at work (when alone).

What is going to be our February challenge? Planks/pushups alternating days for the month??? Only whole foods?

Here is a challenge for everyone that you can include your whole family in. I did this a couple of years ago with my son and wife during the height of my weight loss! 100 pushups in a row.

Here is the link to the website. I bought the app for my smartphone. works pretty good!

Oh and we did complete the task...of course I probably couldn`t do thirty right now but...

http://hundredpushups.com

Oh and let everyone know what beer you had the night before you slept with the dog...not sure whether to stay away or drink double considering the workout you had!

Oh, I remember you talking about that challenge; sounded interesting then and now.

About sleeping with dogs...I fell asleep on the couch, not passed out, this weekend and awoke to three dogs sleeping with me! Pit, Red Border collie and a chihuahua.

2013-01-24 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4592709

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
SportzVision - 2013-01-24 8:55 AM

Woke up this morning at 4:30 and got in 30 minutes of yoga.  I've got to say - I'm really enjoying the Yoga.  I am really tight with very litle flexibility and I really feel the stretch - especially in my back when doing the poses.  I'm really hoping it helps me avoid injury this year.

This afternoon, my wife took the kids and I was able to get in 35 minutes on the bike.  I was listening to an 80's station on pandora and would go hard during the verses and easy during the choruses.  I got a pretty decent workout in - and to finish it off with a little Twisted Sister - does it get any better? Wink

I really tried to protect the plumbing on this ride - my thickest bike shorts and I tried to rest my weight on my pelvis bones... Hope that helps - but that familiar ache is returning... 

Tomorrow is my long run and swim... Giving some thought to getting my run in early with the hopes of spending some family time on Thursday night.  

great work on the Yoga. I think it will do some wonderful things for you this year. Even though p90x made me hate yoga class, I still will do several poses at work (when alone).

What is going to be our February challenge? Planks/pushups alternating days for the month??? Only whole foods?

Here is a challenge for everyone that you can include your whole family in. I did this a couple of years ago with my son and wife during the height of my weight loss! 100 pushups in a row.

Here is the link to the website. I bought the app for my smartphone. works pretty good!

Oh and we did complete the task...of course I probably couldn`t do thirty right now but...

Oh and let everyone know what beer you had the night before you slept with the dog...not sure whether to stay away or drink double considering the workout you had!

Oh, I remember you talking about that challenge; sounded interesting then and now.

About sleeping with dogs...I fell asleep on the couch,  passed out this weekend and awoke to three dogs sleeping with me! 

Corrected for my rugby days of old...

2013-01-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4592461

User image

Expert

Push ups for a feb. challenge?  I like it.  My kids need to get off the couch/computers anyway...

What if stoke the fire with a little compitition (I know my kids will need a carrot)... Dad's versus kids.  With a spreadhseet - we keep track of how many pushups we do vs. how many push ups all the kids in the group do.  Might make it more fair... There should be a prize - perhaps that could be determined by each family.

Just for the record... my sons are going down!Laughing

2013-01-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4592719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-24 9:01 AM

Push ups for a feb. challenge?  I like it.  My kids need to get off the couch/computers anyway...

What if stoke the fire with a little compitition (I know my kids will need a carrot)... Dad's versus kids.  With a spreadhseet - we keep track of how many pushups we do vs. how many push ups all the kids in the group do.  Might make it more fair... There should be a prize - perhaps that could be determined by each family.

Go with a completion reward as the way it is done makes it difficult to go with quantity as everyone starts at a different spot. 6 weeks on program and you should just about be ready for 100 pushups! I like the app, it is 99 cents. Put on your kids itouch etc(and your own of course) and you are good to go!

6pk for mom/dad, itunes card for the kids or whatever works for you.

2013-01-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: #4592715

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
thor67 - 2013-01-24 10:58 AM

About sleeping with dogs...I fell asleep on the couch,  passed out this weekend and awoke to three dogs sleeping with me! 

As a former wing forward... ahem... no comment.

2013-01-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4592468

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

thor67 - 2013-01-24 9:17 AM Question for today....who is racing next in our group?

Half Marry Feb 24th in Hyannis (weather is iffy, but it's all good...)

Still haven't set my 2012 tri calendar.  Having trouble figuring kids, vacations, race timing, location, and any idea of what a "smart" schedule is (rather than just doing races that strike me and that I can get into - the more typical way, and one that works well for running, but maybe not tri's...)

Matt

2013-01-24 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4592715

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
thor67 - 2013-01-24 9:58 AM

Ha ha, when I first read that I thought I had put passed out...wouldn't have been the first time but not this time!  

2013-01-24 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4591287

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Burd - 2013-01-23 12:37 PM I started new medication over the weekend for the heart.  I'm glad I didn't start until Saturday night after the race.  I have been nauseous ever since.  Every so often it goes away so I take that opportunity to shovel any type of food in me so I can keep it down.  Needless to say I have done nada, zip, zero since then.  I know I shouldn't but I feel guilty for not doing anything.  The doctor said it should go away within a week of starting.   Any food tips on something small with high calories and nutrition?  The smaller the amount the better.

Docs like to tell me I am sick too...I was on 9 meds a day, (one of them 2x a day) Now down to 5 for a plethora of ailments, Lupus, High blood pressure, and diabetes.  The meds can really mess you up so keep those lines of communication open w/ your doctor. If you don't like the way you feel after a time of adjustment for new meds tell them so and get something different.  Then follow up, don't let them just refill your prescription because with all your hard work you may not need any meds! 

Good luck with your health.

2013-01-24 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4592931

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2013-01-24 

Go with a completion reward as the way it is done makes it difficult to go with quantity as everyone starts at a different spot. 6 weeks on program and you should just about be ready for 100 pushups! I like the app, it is 99 cents. Put on your kids itouch etc(and your own of course) and you are good to go!

Fair enough.  Talked with my kids about it tonight.  One balked.  The other said, a-l-l-r-i-g-h-t (nice and slow... I've got to finish my science."  Not a great reception... Someday they're gonna stick me in a home, so I might as well make em suffer while I can...

2013-01-24 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4592997

User image

Expert
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-01-24 12:16 PM

thor67 - 2013-01-24 9:17 AM Question for today....who is racing next in our group?

Half Marry Feb 24th in Hyannis (weather is iffy, but it's all good...)

Still haven't set my 2012 tri calendar.

The Hyannis 1/2?  I was going to run that until I had to cut back on my millage.  I hear it's great.  Next year.

As for your tri calendar - I may have already told you this - but check out the The Season Opener in Hopkinton.  It's on Mother's Day - but it's a well run race.

2013-01-24 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Whats this Pushup thing about now? Fill me in a little. but I am in! I love pushups!!!

I am hoping I can come strong these last few days to complete 30/31 challenge, but my back issues threw a real wrench into it!

Today was my first day back on the Run and I cut it a little short, so as not to push my back too far to fast and fall into the vicious circle of repetitive injury. IT was really friggin cold too, even my trusty training pal was whining a little, and she has a fur coat!

Really happy about my swim today too, I did a 70.3 distance swim as sort of a bench mark and I completed it in 39:32, which also included a little breast stroking behind slower swimmers because the lanes were packed today, but I figure that simulates the jostling of a swim start anyways, minus the punches and kicks to the face.

Edited by justinfss 2013-01-24 7:20 PM
2013-01-24 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4593530

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Qua17 - 2013-01-24 6:30 PM
thor67 - 2013-01-24 

Fair enough.  Talked with my kids about it tonight.  One balked.  The other said, a-l-l-r-i-g-h-t (nice and slow... I've got to finish my science."  Not a great reception... Someday they're gonna stick me in a home, so I might as well make em suffer while I can...

Priceless!! I love it

2013-01-24 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well the news is good, back on real food.  It's about time because I was starving.  Ate real well tonight so I should be back to working out first thing tomorrow.  I won't hit the 30/31 now but regardless I am going to finish strong.
2013-01-24 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4593530

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-01-24 4:30 PM
thor67 - 2013-01-24 

I have already told my parents and inlaws I have a nice fridge box and bridge picked out for their home...the inlaw stills supplies all the beer I can drink when I go there!

2013-01-24 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4593643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
justinfss - 2013-01-24 6:15 PM

Whats this Pushup thing about now? Fill me in a little. but I am in! I love pushups!!!

I am hoping I can come strong these last few days to complete 30/31 challenge, but my back issues threw a real wrench into it!

Today was my first day back on the Run and I cut it a little short, so as not to push my back too far to fast and fall into the vicious circle of repetitive injury. IT was really friggin cold too, even my trusty training pal was whining a little, and she has a fur coat!

Really happy about my swim today too, I did a 70.3 distance swim as sort of a bench mark and I completed it in 39:32, which also included a little breast stroking behind slower swimmers because the lanes were packed today, but I figure that simulates the jostling of a swim start anyways, minus the punches and kicks to the face.

Nice job on the swim and run...fur coat? are you saying she needs to shave her back?Wink

check out hundredpushups.com

Start date the first full week of February, so do your initial test  a few days before or so.

2013-01-24 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4593663

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Burd - 2013-01-24 6:29 PM Well the news is good, back on real food.  It's about time because I was starving.  Ate real well tonight so I should be back to working out first thing tomorrow.  I won't hit the 30/31 now but regardless I am going to finish strong.

Be realistic, reset your goals and go for it. 

I only throw these challenges out there for accountability! The more we know each other the more we want to complete. 

My back is against the wall for my 30. Need to nail some workouts in the next week as well!

2013-01-24 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4593643

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
justinfss - 2013-01-24 5:15 PM

• 1 coors light per day short of 30/31!  Laughing
  • WOW!  That's a sick time in the pool.  I was around a 50:00 for my best in training and 46:00 in my race.  I thought that was pretty good.  In under 40:00 is awesome.  That's worth an Heffe!

Prost!

2013-01-25 4:28 AM
in reply to: #4588964

User image

Expert

Morning Everyone: It's time to check in and let us know your plan to complete your goals for the week.  If your are injured or sick, please adjust your goals accordingly to achieve what your body will let you.  You only have to drink a warm coors light if you didn't have the will power to get it done.  

Good luck!

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin
  •  +or-30 miles run
  • slow and easy, no build on last weeks long run, recovery week
  • lose 1 lb.  189 now, 188 by weeks end
  • 2 22 0z. beers this week, excluding hockey night.
  • bike/swim 2x
 2 deliscious 22's
 thor67 Thor
  •  do not play  3 hockey games in 4 days
  • continue on with training of  3/3/2
  • continue rowing
  • continue losing weight

SportzVision Cynthia
  •  Lose two pods
  • Complete weeks training; came closer this week
  • Lift 3x this week
  • log food
  • Pack my lunch every day
 If I log all my food & pack my lunch this week I get to have the light serving of Beer batter fish n chips at Great Basin.  
 Wiff Kim
  • Log all my workouts the same day I do them
  • Get myself online more - I need the inspiration right now
  • Plan training for next week(vacation!!)
  • Hit the bike
  • Log my food again

If I make all my workouts and log my food - fancy beer on the weekend.

If I get on here daily and get all my workouts logged on the same day - get a manicure before vacation.

jlangeneJared 
  •  Monday 60 min Walk and 18 mile bike (if it don't get done today)
  • Tuesday 30 min Jog
  • Wednesday - Rest (Ice Rescue Training)
  • Thursday - Brick
  • Friday - Bike 15 miles
  • Saturday - Walk 10 miles
  • Sunday - Bike 20 miles
  • Follow nutrition goals!  No Cheating!
  • Get in some strength training for real this week!

mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  4x3 this week - three lifts, three runs, three swims, three spins/bikes
  • Nutrition

Burd Alex 
  • 3x run
  • 3x str workouts
  • at least 1 day in pool with buoy
  • another week of good nutrition - no shortcuts
  • go to city park office and find the day/time for the yoga classes 

Yakhead  Ian
  •  walk/run 3 times
  • weight train 2 times
  • eat well
  • try to be under 230
  • stretch really well

bobddsmd  Bobby

follow my training plan, continue with more bike

eat clean whole foods

still thinking
 Cassady Doug run 3 hours/bike 3 hours/ swim 2 hours- be under 290 none until under 280
 lp3510 Lenny  
 justinfss Justin

If back is 'back' in good condition:

• Continue with Half-Marathon Trg Plan
  • Swim x2 (including at least one 1/2 Iron distance continuous swim/benchmark time trial)
  • Bike x2
  • Yoga x3(concentrating on back)
 Buy a premium beer for the rewards shelf, or a coors light for the discipline shelf!
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth
  • Swim 2X
  • jog/walk intervals 2X - ICE afterwards!!
  • Bike 4X – at least one will be outside and one will be a pedal practice session
  • Track calories all week
  • Order my wetsuit
  • try for 154 again

mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Complete week 2 of 16 week Sprint Plan Smile - felt pretty good too!  
  • Ice 5x/Stretch for 2 hours/extend roller time to 4 minutes Smile - on pack.  Need two more icings 
  • Yoga 2 times with Yoga Studio app Smile just finished
  • Lose 2 Pounds Sealed - in progress.  I had lost 1.6 on thursday
  • Support my fellow BTers Smile - Hope so

IV Cense

or 

Coors Light if I Fail

2013-01-25 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4593920

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
  •  +or-30 miles run Smile with 2 runs this weekend
  • slow and easy, no build on last weeks long run, recovery week Tongue out ran too hard on Tuesday.
  • lose 1 lb.  189 now, 188 by weeks end Tongue out 189, but I still have 2 days left
  • 2 22 0z. beers this week, excluding hockey night. Smile On target here
  • bike/swim 2x Smile got my 2nd s/b this morning.

2013-01-25 10:50 AM

User image

Connecticut

This is a bit off topic but I was wondering everyone’s take on diets and meal
planning. I was talking to my wife and she brought up how I never eat breakfast
and that many studies have shown that you are more likely to lose weight by
eating breakfast and less likely to snack and eat bad carbs during the day. So
the goal for the next few weeks is to eat breakfast.

What type of easy, healthy and (most importantly) tasty breakfast foods do you all
try to incorporate in your diets?

2013-01-25 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4594455

User image

Veteran
Illinois
lp3510 - 2013-01-25 10:50 AM

What type of easy, healthy and (most importantly) tasty breakfast foods do you all

I actually have two breakfasts. My first is pre-AM workout, which is usually a Greek yogurt with a teaspoon off creatine. After workout, i have a protein shake and some instant oatmeal, which i usually have when i get to the office. toast and eggs is another good breakfast. I try to avoid cereal, because i love it but it has so many carbs and almost no protein. Since i an still losing weight and trying to hit my goal, my diet is largely a struggle to keep my protein macros up - 180g a day against 1,800 calories. I will write some more when I get back to the office.
2013-01-25 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
lp3510 - 2013-01-25 9:50 AM

Generally my breakfast is quaker oats and coffee.  Sometimes peanut butter on whole wheat toast.  Egg whites and turkey bacon on whole wheat toast is also good.  

2013-01-25 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
lp3510 - 2013-01-25 10:50 AM

There is a lot of data out there that talks about breakfasts. However, some people do very well without it. If you are happy with your energy levels and body composition then I would not change a thing. If you are not, then I would give it a try.

My go to breakfast include the following and are based on trying to eat whole foods:

2 eggs in coconut oil (sometimes with onions, spinach, peppers)

old school oatmeal (rolled oats or steel cut) with raisons or apple or maple syrup

plain greek yogurt, berries, maybe granola and some honey.

just several pieces of fruit

I will rotate the above or sometimes I will skip breakfast with intermittent fasting.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97