Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-07-04 12:40 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
53' run for me this morning with 4x6' in Z4 with 2' rest intervals. Good, solid run, even if I did fall once (stupid uneven pavement)--no damage to me or my gear (other than pride) and run into the concrete wall once (separate incidents)--again, no damage to me or gear. Grace certainly isn't my strong suit. I was rewarded by a sighting of an absolutely amazing moon--huge, close, so bright and clear. It is rare that I stop and just appreciate natural stuff like that on a run (can't let the HR fall!!), but today I did. I think I just stood on the side of the road looking at it for about 5'. It was amazing.

After that, home for a strength training session. Really starting to see and feel the results of consistent strength work. Those sets that were impossible six months ago seem easy now. I know I should probably ramp up my strength routine, but there just isn't that much time in a day. I'm pretty happy just to be including it at this point in my training. I rarely maintain my strength stuff for long when the sbr workouts start getting longer and harder.

2023-07-04 1:33 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nathalie:  great race, and love the attitude towards that evil woman; I'm going to agree you aren't going to improve your transitions much - maybe swim harder?  I mean like gas yourself a little and rely on the fact you're burning arm/core matches vs. legs.  You're a really solid racer across the board so you're going to have to experiment a little to see what you're capable of.  Or just do what Gretchen does and redline it from the get go and hope you flame out 5 feet past the finish and not 1 mile into the run.

Swim harder? I have tried before and all I achieved was getting real tired real quick, no faster. BUT that was before my improved technique so, I'll definitely work on that.

2023-07-04 1:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by bulfrog

7 minutes sounds like a lot of time to find in a sprint. But of course you have to try and take the b**ch down. haha.

Like Gretchen, I'm a diesel engine, so haven't had much experience with the shorter, higher intensity stuff.

I would say though, intervals are going to be your best friend.

Swim, focus on technique, you already have had some tips from a coach to work on. work on that.
Bike, Lots of intervals pushing harder than your goal power. some short (1-2 minutes) really hard Z5 stuff, some longer 5-20 min Just above your goal race pace. Every ride has hard intervals in it.
Run, train like your training for a 5km run. every week: 1 tempo or cruise interval run, 1 Interval run, (Z4-5 intervals) well above 5k pace. 1 longer run, with the end of the run @5km pace or faster, getting you used to pushing hard on fatigued legs.

Also check over your gear. Make sure your bottles etc. are in nice and aero positions. Make sure your drivetrain is clean and properly lubed. I'm assuming you're not going to go out and buy a set of zipp wheels, but make sure you optimise what you have, fast tires (gp5000s) latex tubes (if you're not running tubeless that is)

You also might want to look into a pair of the new carbon plated 'super shoes'. They are probably worth a couple of minutes on their own.

#NotACoach

I love that your advice includes new gear! It you can't find the speed, buy it!! (and Zipp wheels are awful nice!!)

haha, me too! as it says in my signature, new gear is part of the sport! I'll check out those super shoes, I need new ones anyway, the old ones smell...

Yes, you are right, 7 minutes in 2 months is a lot but I like to have something concrete to focus on.

I have improved a lot on the run since last year, I think I have already gained a couple of minutes (Intervals training with the group are really paying off) so I'd say 3 minutes better by then is feasable.

I need to train better on the bike. Started yesterday with 8 x 3 minutes in Z4. I need to keep going with the intervals. I was planning on buying a new trainer and a cheap bike to put on it come winter but I may do this now. Intervals are better on the trainer.

thanks for the advice, all of you!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-07-04 3:58 AM
2023-07-04 2:54 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

@Nathalie:  great race, and love the attitude towards that evil woman; I'm going to agree you aren't going to improve your transitions much - maybe swim harder?  I mean like gas yourself a little and rely on the fact you're burning arm/core matches vs. legs.  You're a really solid racer across the board so you're going to have to experiment a little to see what you're capable of.  Or just do what Gretchen does and redline it from the get go and hope you flame out 5 feet past the finish and not 1 mile into the run.

Swim harder? I have tried before and all I achieved was getting real tired real quick, no faster. BUT that was before my improved technique so, I'll definitely work on that.

Nat--I'm the same way...when I try to swim harder to go faster, I just splash a bunch and actually go slower. Concentrating on swimming smoothly and not letting my left arm be lazy is what makes me faster in the water, not trying to muscle through (and it took me years to catch on to this little gem!).
2023-07-04 3:40 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

53' run for me this morning with 4x6' in Z4 with 2' rest intervals. Good, solid run, even if I did fall once (stupid uneven pavement)--no damage to me or my gear (other than pride) and run into the concrete wall once (separate incidents)--again, no damage to me or gear. Grace certainly isn't my strong suit. I was rewarded by a sighting of an absolutely amazing moon--huge, close, so bright and clear. It is rare that I stop and just appreciate natural stuff like that on a run (can't let the HR fall!!), but today I did. I think I just stood on the side of the road looking at it for about 5'. It was amazing.

After that, home for a strength training session. Really starting to see and feel the results of consistent strength work. Those sets that were impossible six months ago seem easy now. I know I should probably ramp up my strength routine, but there just isn't that much time in a day. I'm pretty happy just to be including it at this point in my training. I rarely maintain my strength stuff for long when the sbr workouts start getting longer and harder.

Sorry, I had to LOL when I read that. Glad you are not hurt and that you got to enjoy the view. Do you often fall on uneven surfaces? Maybe you should look at your technique if so?

Well done on the strength training. It’s really difficult to make it happen when it’s so much more fun to SBR but it is sooo important!
2023-07-05 4:16 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
54 minutes swim yesterday instead of swim run. I figured I needed to focus on my technique.

I have a new strategy when it comes to strength training. Instead of trying to do one session a week, will do 3 shorter ones (or include them in everyday life) focusing on one muscle group at a time.
So yesterday I did lunges and squats and stuff while walking the dog. That’s legs
Today I have 2kg +1 kg weights on my desk and lift them 10 times every now and then. I will also do a 15 minutes session during my lunch break
Tomorrow, 15 minutes of sit ups and planks and stuff and a few more when I can

Thanks for the idea Gretchen, I think you wrote about this a few months ago

2023-07-05 4:47 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

54 minutes swim yesterday instead of swim run. I figured I needed to focus on my technique.

I have a new strategy when it comes to strength training. Instead of trying to do one session a week, will do 3 shorter ones (or include them in everyday life) focusing on one muscle group at a time.
So yesterday I did lunges and squats and stuff while walking the dog. That’s legs
Today I have 2kg +1 kg weights on my desk and lift them 10 times every now and then. I will also do a 15 minutes session during my lunch break
Tomorrow, 15 minutes of sit ups and planks and stuff and a few more when I can

Thanks for the idea Gretchen, I think you wrote about this a few months ago

I do this a lot! If it doesn't involve getting down on the floor or a lot of equipment, I'll do some sets throughout the day at work. I keep the floor (i.e., most core stuff) at home for now, because the floor in my office in Egypt is gross--Egyptian street funk, since everyone wears their shoes in here. I do core stuff at my office in the states though...there is still floor funk, but it has carpet and I can pretend it isn't as gross.

For me...1750yds in the pool of feeling actually fast today and then a 90' Z1 ride shortly after I got home. I took a late start to the day at work, because I knew I had a bunch of errands to run today, and 1.) nothing opens before 10 anyway and 2.) errands in Cairo are hit and miss on whether you'll be successful. Some days it works...other days, you try three things and get nothing done. Today was a good day. It only took three hours to do four errands. Only one required a cab, so everything was very close. Otherwise, those four errands could have taken all day. In fact, I tried to do two of them on Sunday and had no luck.
2023-07-06 3:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2:30 long run this morning, fueled by pineapple "juice" and cotton candy. Is it obvious I totally forgot any nutrition to support the long run when I set out and was "living off the course"? Thankfully, I slid a 50LE note into my running hydration pack the day I tried to run to the Pyramids (man that seems like a long time ago!). That's less than $2, but it was enough to get me a water and a "juice" box (Egyptian juice is about 10% actual fruit content and 60% sugar, plus some added water, which...to be fair, is not that different than some American juice drinks I've seen masquerading as juice) at the 1:45 mark, when I began to feel the wall looming and a cotton candy at the 2:10 mark, just because I saw the kid selling them and figured why not? Egyptian cotton candy is not as sweet as American cotton candy...although I have no idea how that is actually possible. Anyway...another check on the new things in Egypt list, as I'd never had street candy before.

The candy helps balance out the miserable nature of today's run. The actual physical run part was okay, but for some reason, today was a terrible run for men...and yes, it is (nearly) ALWAYS men...harassing me while running. One dude drove beside me for more than a mile asking me why I was running and then screaming insults at me when I refused to engage with him. Another group of late teen boys surrounded me and tried to run with me for a bit, all the while asking me why I wasn't going faster because they could go faster and they were wearing flip flops. My general rule is to just ignore them and pretend that they are saying things like good job and keep it up (although...to be honest, I don't appreciate those comments either). Unfortunately, as I've learned more Arabic during this trip, that is a little harder to do. When will men understand that woman are allowed to exist in public spaces?!?!?

Later today, some strength training.
2023-07-06 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Fair enough.  Agreed there's a point where extra effort causes the form to fall apart and has very diminishing returns...just wondered if there's another gear you might have while maintaining form.  I know I get a little lazy during OWS and have to mentally remind myself through self talk "swim strong, swim strong" which means focusing on the reach, catch, pull, finish with every stroke rather than going through the motions which is really easy to do when you're doing hundreds of strokes with no rest.

2023-07-06 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl 54 minutes swim yesterday instead of swim run. I figured I needed to focus on my technique. I have a new strategy when it comes to strength training. Instead of trying to do one session a week, will do 3 shorter ones (or include them in everyday life) focusing on one muscle group at a time. So yesterday I did lunges and squats and stuff while walking the dog. That’s legs Today I have 2kg +1 kg weights on my desk and lift them 10 times every now and then. I will also do a 15 minutes session during my lunch break Tomorrow, 15 minutes of sit ups and planks and stuff and a few more when I can Thanks for the idea Gretchen, I think you wrote about this a few months ago

RE:  strength training...I need to be warmed up to be able to do things right so I mostly do my strength work as a cool down, though this morning I got my HR up pretty high during my 30+ minute session; I'll do some really basic yoga during the day but nothing resembling strength training

2023-07-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2:30 long run this morning, fueled by pineapple "juice" and cotton candy. Is it obvious I totally forgot any nutrition to support the long run when I set out and was "living off the course"? Thankfully, I slid a 50LE note into my running hydration pack the day I tried to run to the Pyramids (man that seems like a long time ago!). That's less than $2, but it was enough to get me a water and a "juice" box (Egyptian juice is about 10% actual fruit content and 60% sugar, plus some added water, which...to be fair, is not that different than some American juice drinks I've seen masquerading as juice) at the 1:45 mark, when I began to feel the wall looming and a cotton candy at the 2:10 mark, just because I saw the kid selling them and figured why not? Egyptian cotton candy is not as sweet as American cotton candy...although I have no idea how that is actually possible. Anyway...another check on the new things in Egypt list, as I'd never had street candy before. The candy helps balance out the miserable nature of today's run. The actual physical run part was okay, but for some reason, today was a terrible run for men...and yes, it is (nearly) ALWAYS men...harassing me while running. One dude drove beside me for more than a mile asking me why I was running and then screaming insults at me when I refused to engage with him. Another group of late teen boys surrounded me and tried to run with me for a bit, all the while asking me why I wasn't going faster because they could go faster and they were wearing flip flops. My general rule is to just ignore them and pretend that they are saying things like good job and keep it up (although...to be honest, I don't appreciate those comments either). Unfortunately, as I've learned more Arabic during this trip, that is a little harder to do. When will men understand that woman are allowed to exist in public spaces?!?!? Later today, some strength training.

In Egypt, probably never. 

I don't know how you do outdoor training in that environment.  I think even 6'3", 198 lb dude like me would be on the treadmill there.

Oh, and nice work living off the course.  I'm sure that kid appreciated the business. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-07-06 8:24 AM

2023-07-06 8:37 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Three more stages in the books since I last posted:

Stage 4:  30-ish mile ride in and around one of the state parks (@Nicole...Patapsco Avalon area); place was a zoo for July 4th so did more outside than in though got in a really good 15-minute interval on one of the Strava segments that I use for fitness testing and got a T2 all-time for me with my PR being like 9 years ago, so a good day; got some good climbs in too

Stage 5:  Zwift race in France; still struggling to compete in CAT C as I got dropped from the peloton about halfway through, but I'm stubborn and staying there until I can race myself into shape; about 23 miles with the WU and CD

Stage 6:  recovery ride in NYC on Zwift for about 30 minutes, then 3 miles on the treadmill with a 5' tempo interval and a couple of 30" R pace "speed" work; then strength training

So far about 145 miles over 8+ hours.  Swim tomorrow morning then a 4k time trial (so about 6 minutes of hell).

2023-07-06 10:22 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Swim tomorrow morning then a 4k time trial (so about 6 minutes of hell).

Took me a hot minute to figure out this is a 4k bike time trial, not a 4k swim time trial. I was seriously confused at how the he!! you were going to swim 4k in 6 minutes! (don't judge, it is late at the end of a long week here!)
2023-07-06 2:50 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Took me a hot minute to figure out this is a 4k bike time trial, not a 4k swim time trial. I was seriously confused at how the he!! you were going to swim 4k in 6 minutes! (don't judge, it is late at the end of a long week here!)

I was thinking it was a 4k run trial and I thought, wow, that’s fast! Also the end of a long day

2023-07-06 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I was thinking it was a 4k run trial and I thought, wow, that’s fast! Also the end of a long day

So the two of you have me at somewhere around 18 minutes for a 4,000M swim / 4k bike / 4k run triathlon.  I'll take that!!! 

2023-07-06 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I love that your advice includes new gear! It you can't find the speed, buy it!! (and Zipp wheels are awful nice!!)

To be fair, I also suggested interval sessions on the bike and run. So not only buying speed Not that there's anything wrong with buying speed.

Besides, tubes tires and shoes are pretty much consumable items anyway. You wouldn't go into race day with old tires on the bike. May as well make sure the race day option is fast

2023-07-06 8:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I need to train better on the bike. Started yesterday with 8 x 3 minutes in Z4. I need to keep going with the intervals. I was planning on buying a new trainer and a cheap bike to put on it come winter but I may do this now. Intervals are better on the trainer.

thanks for the advice, all of you!

Nice job on the intervals.

I cannot recommend buying a decent trainer highly enough. Especially with your winters. Moving the bulk of my riding inside has been the best thing for my cycling consistency.

If you can afford it, please get a direct drive (wheel off) smart trainer. It is so worth it. Its 100% the best investment I've made to support the triathlon lifestyle.

Is there a reason you want a new trainer specific bike? Or just following the N+1 rule?
2023-07-06 9:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Fair enough.  Agreed there's a point where extra effort causes the form to fall apart and has very diminishing returns...just wondered if there's another gear you might have while maintaining form.  I know I get a little lazy during OWS and have to mentally remind myself through self talk "swim strong, swim strong" which means focusing on the reach, catch, pull, finish with every stroke rather than going through the motions which is really easy to do when you're doing hundreds of strokes with no rest.

100% agree with this. Not that I swim enough at the moment to have more than 1 speed, but when I was swimming well...

If I try to swim 'harder' as in flat out, then yes the arms and legs go crazy, lots of splashing, get tired fast but no real increase in speed.

But, there is a difference between cruising along and swimming with purpose. Just like Mike is saying with 'swim strong' you need to be focused on what you're doing not just going through the motions. I'll add focusing on your kick to Mikes advice. When I'm just cruising my kick becomes very weak to non existent.

That said when it comes to swimming "slow is smooth. And smooth is fast"
2023-07-06 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, nice work on your tour de france. Racking up some big miles.

@Gretchen, Sorry you had another experience telling you you've had enough of Egypt for a while. I would say you should say something back to them in Arabic, let them know you hear what's being said. But I suppose who knows how the little toads would react to that. Probably best to keep quite and ignore them. Not that you should have to.

Nice 'living off the course', and nothing wrong with 60% sugar. At least as mid run refueling. As a breakfast drink maybe not so good.

@Nathalie, Great job with your strength workouts. When my self imposed training break is over I'm going to make an effort to jump on that bandwagon.

@Me. Done nothing. Had some good sleeps, getting up at 630 instead of 5 I think I've turned the corner with this cold/flu, I'm not training until Monday at earliest. So at least 3 more days. Hopefully that'll be enough rest. If not I might be 10-14 days off.

I am a sloth.

Have a good weekend guys. Everyone needs to train an hour more than planned to make up my lost time
2023-07-07 12:17 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

So the two of you have me at somewhere around 18 minutes for a 4,000M swim / 4k bike / 4k run triathlon.  I'll take that!!! 

LOL, that’s about right! With transitions about 1h25

2023-07-07 12:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2:30 long run this morning, fueled by pineapple "juice" and cotton candy. Is it obvious I totally forgot any nutrition to support the long run when I set out and was "living off the course"? Thankfully, I slid a 50LE note into my running hydration pack the day I tried to run to the Pyramids (man that seems like a long time ago!). That's less than $2, but it was enough to get me a water and a "juice" box (Egyptian juice is about 10% actual fruit content and 60% sugar, plus some added water, which...to be fair, is not that different than some American juice drinks I've seen masquerading as juice) at the 1:45 mark, when I began to feel the wall looming and a cotton candy at the 2:10 mark, just because I saw the kid selling them and figured why not? Egyptian cotton candy is not as sweet as American cotton candy...although I have no idea how that is actually possible. Anyway...another check on the new things in Egypt list, as I'd never had street candy before. The candy helps balance out the miserable nature of today's run. The actual physical run part was okay, but for some reason, today was a terrible run for men...and yes, it is (nearly) ALWAYS men...harassing me while running. One dude drove beside me for more than a mile asking me why I was running and then screaming insults at me when I refused to engage with him. Another group of late teen boys surrounded me and tried to run with me for a bit, all the while asking me why I wasn't going faster because they could go faster and they were wearing flip flops. My general rule is to just ignore them and pretend that they are saying things like good job and keep it up (although...to be honest, I don't appreciate those comments either). Unfortunately, as I've learned more Arabic during this trip, that is a little harder to do. When will men understand that woman are allowed to exist in public spaces?!?!? Later today, some strength training.

In Egypt, probably never. 

I don't know how you do outdoor training in that environment.  I think even 6'3", 198 lb dude like me would be on the treadmill there.

Oh, and nice work living off the course.  I'm sure that kid appreciated the business. 

Yeah, me too

2023-07-07 12:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Is there a reason you want a new trainer specific bike? Or just following the N+1 rule?

So I can jump on any of them in a second rather than have to set up/take down the bike from the trainer. In the winter I do all my biking on zwift but the rest of the year I’d like to have the choice, if the weather is bad or if I need to do intervals.
Would be easier with a bike that stays there.

Talking of which, the program I kind of follow (for the bike anyway) called for high gear low cadence intervals. Hard to follow the minutes on the plan when you are outdoors but I just did 2 laps of 9k at the highest gear and finished off with a couple of tough climbs.

2023-07-07 12:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Mike, nice work on your tour de france. Racking up some big miles.

@Gretchen, Sorry you had another experience telling you you've had enough of Egypt for a while. I would say you should say something back to them in Arabic, let them know you hear what's being said. But I suppose who knows how the little toads would react to that. Probably best to keep quite and ignore them. Not that you should have to.

Nice 'living off the course', and nothing wrong with 60% sugar. At least as mid run refueling. As a breakfast drink maybe not so good.

@Nathalie, Great job with your strength workouts. When my self imposed training break is over I'm going to make an effort to jump on that bandwagon.

@Me. Done nothing. Had some good sleeps, getting up at 630 instead of 5 I think I've turned the corner with this cold/flu, I'm not training until Monday at earliest. So at least 3 more days. Hopefully that'll be enough rest. If not I might be 10-14 days off.

I am a sloth.

Have a good weekend guys. Everyone needs to train an hour more than planned to make up my lost time

Really hope the rest is paying off and that you are over this shite now.
2023-07-07 12:56 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
4000yds in the pool this morning. It took slightly longer than 6’. :D.

Have a 72’ ride later, but have some decisions to make. I came home and just caught a glimpse of something funny looking on the tire as I walked by. Turns out, it was the radials poking through (keep in mind this is the new tire I got in the last week of May!). So. I have a giant hole in my tire. I have options…a) ride as is, hope for the best, b) swap out the front tire for the back and buy two new tires when I get home, or c) stick a dollar bill in the tire and hope it holds until I get home. I already have an appointment at the bike shop when I get home, first thing on Monday morning (17th, not in two days). Im leaning toward option b, with c as the backup plan. Just wondering if a dollar will nurse me through two long rides and two shorter, but intense rides. Guess I’ll never know unless I try!

There is option d)…find another tire here, but with the short time I have left, im not sure I want to waste the time hunting.
2023-07-07 3:14 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

4000yds in the pool this morning. It took slightly longer than 6’. :D.

you are so slow.... LOL

Have a 72’ ride later, but have some decisions to make. I came home and just caught a glimpse of something funny looking on the tire as I walked by. Turns out, it was the radials poking through (keep in mind this is the new tire I got in the last week of May!). So. I have a giant hole in my tire. I have options…a) ride as is, hope for the best, b) swap out the front tire for the back and buy two new tires when I get home, or c) stick a dollar bill in the tire and hope it holds until I get home. I already have an appointment at the bike shop when I get home, first thing on Monday morning (17th, not in two days). Im leaning toward option b, with c as the backup plan. Just wondering if a dollar will nurse me through two long rides and two shorter, but intense rides. Guess I’ll never know unless I try!

There is option d)…find another tire here, but with the short time I have left, im not sure I want to waste the time hunting.

I am not very good at stuff like that but if the radial are poking through it will take about 5 minutes for the front tire to be punctured if you swap them, no?

I would go for the dollar bill option or maybe a few more layers (I don't think one $50 will help )

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland