BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-26 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
You get 10 gears and yes, the bigger the separation between each one, the more of a jump.  But the advantages are really there to adjust the bike to the terrain you face.  If you have a combo of flats and hills, 11/28 is a good answer. SRAM makes one.  I've got one to try.  The 12/27 is really good.  Saved my butt in Wisconsin yesterday.  I did the loop of the IM course twice.  The bike "mechanic" here and "fixed" something that wasn't broken.  Played with my front derailleur and screwed it to the point that it rattles against the chain in the small gear up front so bad I was afraid it was going to tear something. off.  So I did what some consider one of the worst climbs in IM biking in my 53 chain ring. Made up all of them.  My confidence level is through the roof on the bike course as long as I can use 20 gears.  The 11/28 will help spin up the climbs and keep from spinning out on the descents.  Did 40 plus on a couple.  Pretty exciting.  

2011-06-26 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Um as Kathleen said...that "hill" sucks! I'm not sure what is going to happen during the race in 2 weeks. I don't suppose there is much hope of improvement between now and then, so I will hope that I have a better day on race day, or at the very least that I don't fall over trying to get off to walk.

I did have a pretty good 8 mile run today. Not speedy but it was warm and I through in bunches of hills. My goal is to try and get all of my training in for this week.
2011-06-27 4:29 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

That hill looks like a challenge.  Good that you got out and climbed it prior to race day. 

The best advice I can give you at this point, as Kathleen has already been looking into, is to gear the bike as best you can.  Determine the best pace for you on race day, and not worry about what others are doing. 

2011-06-27 4:31 AM
in reply to: #3567691

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-06-26 11:53 AM You get 10 gears and yes, the bigger the separation between each one, the more of a jump.  But the advantages are really there to adjust the bike to the terrain you face.  If you have a combo of flats and hills, 11/28 is a good answer. SRAM makes one.  I've got one to try.  The 12/27 is really good.  Saved my butt in Wisconsin yesterday.  I did the loop of the IM course twice.  The bike "mechanic" here and "fixed" something that wasn't broken.  Played with my front derailleur and screwed it to the point that it rattles against the chain in the small gear up front so bad I was afraid it was going to tear something. off.  So I did what some consider one of the worst climbs in IM biking in my 53 chain ring. Made up all of them.  My confidence level is through the roof on the bike course as long as I can use 20 gears.  The 11/28 will help spin up the climbs and keep from spinning out on the descents.  Did 40 plus on a couple.  Pretty exciting.  

I can imagine that your confidence is high!  With several more weeks of training and completing that course in the big ring!  Wow! 

Great job Ice!
2011-06-27 4:33 AM
in reply to: #3568186

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-06-26 8:59 PM Um as Kathleen said...that "hill" sucks! I'm not sure what is going to happen during the race in 2 weeks. I don't suppose there is much hope of improvement between now and then, so I will hope that I have a better day on race day, or at the very least that I don't fall over trying to get off to walk. I did have a pretty good 8 mile run today. Not speedy but it was warm and I through in bunches of hills. My goal is to try and get all of my training in for this week.

Not a lot of gains to be made in a couple of weeks, but just keep following the plan you are using!

Nice job on the run Julie!
2011-06-27 4:35 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Heading off to the lake this morning for some swim training!  Run later!

What's on everyones training plan today?

2011-06-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3568501

User image

Regular
Maryland

wow, early morning Ken!

I walked my 3 mile route around the neighborhood.  My knee has been bothering me.  Thinking about going to see the doc again to check on it.

2011-06-27 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Recovery week after the Wisconsin training.  Rode the 80 miles, two loops, in big gear then ran Saturday and swam.  Ran a half marathon training run yesterday.  Today off, swim and maybe a time trial tomorrow, then light riding, light swim, easy runs.  Back at it on the Weekend with a long ride.  
2011-06-27 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Focusing on sleep and clearing up some aches and pains from training this week.  My first tri of the year is Saturday and I want to be 100%. Looks like the wetsuit I ordered will not be here in time for the race. Kinda bummed about it, but I'll get over it.
2011-06-27 11:13 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

I ran almost 6 miles on Saturday (5.9 - ran out of road).  I am seriosuly considering training for a half marathon that is 12 weeks away (exactly one week after my first triathlon).  Am I nuts??

(ETA: Map my run says I did 6.42 miles on Saturday - no wonder my legs were sore yesterday - my GPS is old and not very accurate... so I think I will go with the 6.42!!)

I did an OWS yesterday.  I wanted to do one on Friday and Saturday, too... but thanks to thunder/lightening, I didn't get to.  I have been swimming in open water many a time, but it was a little weird to swim thinking about it in relation to training for a race.  I estimate I only did about 400 yards.  I am going to see if I can find a way to measure it.  I also bought a lap counter online today, so I can at least time myself.

Back to "The Lake" this weekend.  (aka. Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg).  We will be there from Friday through Tuesday, so I hope to get in a bunch of swims in between drinking beers.

Edited by scraver 2011-06-27 11:47 AM
2011-06-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3569107

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-27 11:55 AM Focusing on sleep and clearing up some aches and pains from training this week.  My first tri of the year is Saturday and I want to be 100%. Looks like the wetsuit I ordered will not be here in time for the race. Kinda bummed about it, but I'll get over it.

Too bad about the wetsuit not getting here, that seems a bit slow. 

Tri Spot in Buffalo has rentals, but that may not be real convenient unless they can bring it to the race.  They did have a tent set up at Keuka (same people putting on your race).  It might be worth a call.

2011-06-27 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3569173

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scraver - 2011-06-27 12:13 PM

I ran almost 6 miles on Saturday (5.9 - ran out of road).  I am seriosuly considering training for a half marathon that is 12 weeks away (exactly one week after my first triathlon).  Am I nuts??

(ETA: Map my run says I did 6.42 miles on Saturday - no wonder my legs were sore yesterday - my GPS is old and not very accurate... so I think I will go with the 6.42!!)

I did an OWS yesterday.  I wanted to do one on Friday and Saturday, too... but thanks to thunder/lightening, I didn't get to.  I have been swimming in open water many a time, but it was a little weird to swim thinking about it in relation to training for a race.  I estimate I only did about 400 yards.  I am going to see if I can find a way to measure it.  I also bought a lap counter online today, so I can at least time myself.

Back to "The Lake" this weekend.  (aka. Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg).  We will be there from Friday through Tuesday, so I hope to get in a bunch of swims in between drinking beers.

No you are not nuts, at least about this! Wink

12 weeks is plenty of time if you train smart and consistant. 

Nice to have easy access to a lake for OWS during the summer!  I have it made when it comes to that but it does make it tougher to go to the pool, but if I don't go and do some drills my form goes to heck. 
2011-06-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #3569444

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

kenj - 2011-06-27 2:01 PM
Trout - 2011-06-27 11:55 AM Focusing on sleep and clearing up some aches and pains from training this week.  My first tri of the year is Saturday and I want to be 100%. Looks like the wetsuit I ordered will not be here in time for the race. Kinda bummed about it, but I'll get over it.

Tri Spot in Buffalo has rentals, but that may not be real convenient unless they can bring it to the race.  They did have a tent set up at Keuka (same people putting on your race).  It might be worth a call.

Wouldn't ya know that I just got an email saying that it is shipping today with an ETA of Wednesday.  The suits were backlogged (did not tell you at the time of order) and I had read on BT about some waiting over a month for theirs.  I just assumed I'd be out of luck.

I'll probably be going to Tri Spot on Friday evening to pick up my packet. Not sure why they have you driving through downtown Buffalo during rush/dinner hour on 4th of July weekend to pick up your packet only from the hours of 5-7pm. Duh. Looking forward to seeing the store though.

2011-06-27 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Question of the day. For those of you who are doing or have done a HIM I could use some help with nutrition. Mostly I’m just curious to see what others have done. Anyone want to post their plans? I’m really just trying to get mine in place. I know we’ve talked about this a little but I was hoping to see a couple of peoples “day” I think I have a pretty good idea of where I’m going but I’m unsure on a couple of things.
2011-06-28 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3569489

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-27 2:23 PM

kenj - 2011-06-27 2:01 PM

Wouldn't ya know that I just got an email saying that it is shipping today with an ETA of Wednesday.  The suits were backlogged (did not tell you at the time of order) and I had read on BT about some waiting over a month for theirs.  I just assumed I'd be out of luck.

I'll probably be going to Tri Spot on Friday evening to pick up my packet. Not sure why they have you driving through downtown Buffalo during rush/dinner hour on 4th of July weekend to pick up your packet only from the hours of 5-7pm. Duh. Looking forward to seeing the store though.

That does sound like a bit of a challenge traffic wise.  Maybe with any luck you will be going the opposite direction of the traffic.

I would be interested to get your impression of the store.  Their website makes it sound quite nice.  But reality can be something different.

Edited by kenj 2011-06-28 8:31 AM
2011-06-28 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3569857

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-06-27 5:35 PM Question of the day. For those of you who are doing or have done a HIM I could use some help with nutrition. Mostly I’m just curious to see what others have done. Anyone want to post their plans? I’m really just trying to get mine in place. I know we’ve talked about this a little but I was hoping to see a couple of peoples “day” I think I have a pretty good idea of where I’m going but I’m unsure on a couple of things.

I train with Infinit, double up the dose for the bike and single for the run.  Chase it with water.  I also carry a couple of gels or even a cliff bar just in case something goes wrong with the plan, it is good to at least have an option.  I do this because my A race serves Heed, and I am not a fan.

First choice though is to find out what the race is serving and see if your stomach agrees with that.  This saves a lot of the logistics of planning to carry your own in and having extra, just in case.  I did this for IM as they serve Gatorade and I can deal with that.

The key to successful race day nutrition is to have a plan of how many calories you feel you need per hour and how you are going to get them.  Once you have the plan, practice it in training.  A key to remember, it is a lot easier to add more calories than it is to take them away once ingested. 

Also remember is that you are typically pushing the effort higher during a race than you would in training.  This is where a lot of athletes nutrition plan blows up on them.  The higher HR slows digestion and they keep dumping the same calories in and they get bloated or worse.  So try and push the intensity a couple of times while training with your nutrition plan.

2011-06-28 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3570669

User image

Expert

Julie and Kathleen, that hill looks like a beast! Ken is right, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. If you try to go up it too hard, you could really fry your legs which could lead to a difficult run.

kenj - 2011-06-28 9:39 AM
julta - 2011-06-27 5:35 PM Question of the day. For those of you who are doing or have done a HIM I could use some help with nutrition. Mostly I’m just curious to see what others have done. Anyone want to post their plans? I’m really just trying to get mine in place. I know we’ve talked about this a little but I was hoping to see a couple of peoples “day” I think I have a pretty good idea of where I’m going but I’m unsure on a couple of things.

I train with Infinit, double up the dose for the bike and single for the run.  Chase it with water.  I also carry a couple of gels or even a cliff bar just in case something goes wrong with the plan, it is good to at least have an option.  I do this because my A race serves Heed, and I am not a fan.

First choice though is to find out what the race is serving and see if your stomach agrees with that.  This saves a lot of the logistics of planning to carry your own in and having extra, just in case.  I did this for IM as they serve Gatorade and I can deal with that.

The key to successful race day nutrition is to have a plan of how many calories you feel you need per hour and how you are going to get them.  Once you have the plan, practice it in training.  A key to remember, it is a lot easier to add more calories than it is to take them away once ingested. 

Also remember is that you are typically pushing the effort higher during a race than you would in training.  This is where a lot of athletes nutrition plan blows up on them.  The higher HR slows digestion and they keep dumping the same calories in and they get bloated or worse.  So try and push the intensity a couple of times while training with your nutrition plan.

Again, all excellent points. Very important to practice, because everyone is different. For example, I have tried a couple different formulations of infinit, but they always give me stomach cramps. Lots of people love Heed, Ken is not a fan, and I think it is the most vile stuff ever made. I use Clif Shot bloks, they work well for me, but I am sure some people can't stand them. I keep them in my mouth awhile because I think I absorb a little sublingually.

So, I raced an Oly this past Sunday. I missed a PR (set at the same race last year) by about 20 seconds, and my goal by almost 3 minutes. I think the swim course was short last year because they had a problem with low tide and had moved the buoys. Still, I am pleased with my performance, since I took a little time off both my bike and run. I haven't written a race report yet because I have had a busy couple of days. Right after the race we drove 3 hours to the Jersey shore to spend the night and the next day with friends who had some spare room in a beach house. I swan a lot in the ocean, but unfortunately did not do any actual OWS training.

2011-06-28 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Hey All! Back from vacation.  Hawaii was amazing, but not much training.  I have been trying to get back in the swing of things.  I haven't been able to read over the post from the last weeks yet as we have friends in town.  Just wanted to wish everyone happy training and hopefully I will be back soon!
2011-06-29 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3569857

User image

Pro
Houston

Hey gang! Long time no see!  Now that I finally have a plan again I am back. It's amazing the difference. You may remember I had a coach and when we decided to let that go I was having a hard time being consistent. Just look at my June logs - LOL! I had lots of starts and stops and could not get it going and keep it going.

I took the time this past weekend to use GoogleCalendar to write up my own training plan and it has made a HUGE difference! Not sure why having a plan is so important to me but it just is. I really like being able to look at the week and the month to see what I have coming up.

Due to my previous injuries I am building my run very slowly this time being very careful not to add too much too soon in an effort to stay healthy.

Everyone is doing so great! Kathleen & Julie that is a great climb! Love the pictures, I wish we had something like that close to us. Good for you riding it before the race, always good to know what to expect.

julta - 2011-06-27 4:35 PM Question of the day. For those of you who are doing or have done a HIM I could use some help with nutrition. Mostly I’m just curious to see what others have done. Anyone want to post their plans? I’m really just trying to get mine in place. I know we’ve talked about this a little but I was hoping to see a couple of peoples “day” I think I have a pretty good idea of where I’m going but I’m unsure on a couple of things.

I asked this question when getting ready for my first HIM at least a dozen times. I got frustrated when everyone told me I had to do what worked for ME. But that is the truth. The best thing I did was start experimenting early in my trianing and doing a few bicks so I knew my stomach could handle on the run.

I drank water and Gatorade and also took electrolytes. On the bike I ate fig newtons which I love on long bike rides. I put them in a snack size zip lock bag and in my Bento box. I liked the smaller ones so I could pop the whole thing in my mouth. I used these a lot in training. I also had Chomps in my Bento - two different flavors. During my race I ate 3 of my 4 fig newtons but REALLY didn't want another so I switched to Chomps. I also had Chomps with me on the run but didn't eat them. What saved me were the animal crackers on the run. I don't even like animal crackers but they were exactly what I wanted out on the course.

Try a few different things and if you are going to be out there for a while like me I am a fan of real food instead of just gu's and gummy stuff, I think that is what helped me keep everything down.

2011-06-29 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
While we are on the topic of nutrition.  Am I going to need a little somethin' somethin' for my sprint tri or should I be able to do a sprint without needing to refuel?
2011-06-29 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3573479

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

scraver - 2011-06-29 4:31 PM While we are on the topic of nutrition.  Am I going to need a little somethin' somethin' for my sprint tri or should I be able to do a sprint without needing to refuel?

I eat a gel when I first get on the bike and 1 right before I get off the bike. In theory you do not need anything for a sprint. You should not be expending enough calories during a sprint race to create a deficit that needs to be be replaced.

I do it cause I feel like it helps me and I need all the help I can get......Embarassed 

2011-06-29 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3571882

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-06-28 7:41 PM Hey All! Back from vacation.  Hawaii was amazing, but not much training.  I have been trying to get back in the swing of things.  I haven't been able to read over the post from the last weeks yet as we have friends in town.  Just wanted to wish everyone happy training and hopefully I will be back soon!

Glad you had a good time!  I can't say that I blame you for letting your training take a back seat in Hawaii!

Good to have you back!!
2011-06-29 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3572690

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-06-29 11:25 AM

Hey gang! Long time no see!  Now that I finally have a plan again I am back. It's amazing the difference. You may remember I had a coach and when we decided to let that go I was having a hard time being consistent. Just look at my June logs - LOL! I had lots of starts and stops and could not get it going and keep it going.

I took the time this past weekend to use GoogleCalendar to write up my own training plan and it has made a HUGE difference! Not sure why having a plan is so important to me but it just is. I really like being able to look at the week and the month to see what I have coming up.

Due to my previous injuries I am building my run very slowly this time being very careful not to add too much too soon in an effort to stay healthy.

Everyone is doing so great! Kathleen & Julie that is a great climb! Love the pictures, I wish we had something like that close to us. Good for you riding it before the race, always good to know what to expect.

julta - 2011-06-27 4:35 PM Question of the day. For those of you who are doing or have done a HIM I could use some help with nutrition. Mostly I’m just curious to see what others have done. Anyone want to post their plans? I’m really just trying to get mine in place. I know we’ve talked about this a little but I was hoping to see a couple of peoples “day” I think I have a pretty good idea of where I’m going but I’m unsure on a couple of things.

I asked this question when getting ready for my first HIM at least a dozen times. I got frustrated when everyone told me I had to do what worked for ME. But that is the truth. The best thing I did was start experimenting early in my trianing and doing a few bicks so I knew my stomach could handle on the run.

I drank water and Gatorade and also took electrolytes. On the bike I ate fig newtons which I love on long bike rides. I put them in a snack size zip lock bag and in my Bento box. I liked the smaller ones so I could pop the whole thing in my mouth. I used these a lot in training. I also had Chomps in my Bento - two different flavors. During my race I ate 3 of my 4 fig newtons but REALLY didn't want another so I switched to Chomps. I also had Chomps with me on the run but didn't eat them. What saved me were the animal crackers on the run. I don't even like animal crackers but they were exactly what I wanted out on the course.

Try a few different things and if you are going to be out there for a while like me I am a fan of real food instead of just gu's and gummy stuff, I think that is what helped me keep everything down.

Good to hear from you Keri!  You are right about the value of a plan, at least for me. 

It is amazing to hear some of the different nutrition options that work!  I have also used uncrustables (premade frozen PB & J sandwich) during longer rides.

2011-06-29 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3573540

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-06-29 4:57 PM

scraver - 2011-06-29 4:31 PM While we are on the topic of nutrition.  Am I going to need a little somethin' somethin' for my sprint tri or should I be able to do a sprint without needing to refuel?

I eat a gel when I first get on the bike and 1 right before I get off the bike. In theory you do not need anything for a sprint. You should not be expending enough calories during a sprint race to create a deficit that needs to be be replaced.

I do it cause I feel like it helps me and I need all the help I can get......Embarassed 

I agree, a gel can give a little boost for the run if taken towards the end of the bike.

It wouldn't hurt to have some gatorade rather than water in the bike bottle, but water is fine too.
2011-06-29 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Sorry guys for being MIA I've been covered up at work and having a hard time finding time to train..I did sign up for an Olympic tri in Chattanooga on the 10th of July...Everyone seems to be right on track keep up the nice work...Headed to the beach tomorrow for the fourth with family..got to get some workouts in...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72