of 84

2011-07-31 3:54 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

On Ernesto's kind request I'm sharing my story here (after I posted it on FB):

I'm riding along the ocean at 9am and crossing a T-intersection, but not changing direction, just going straight on the bike lane. The light changed to red  and having a nice momentum and seeing no cars I rode through the red light (yes)... Sure enough I lifted my head and saw a cop telling me to stop.... He lectured me nicely and didn't write the usual $120.- ticket. Instead, he let me go. Boy, did I feel embarassed.

Riding further along, I saw a Meter Maid putting coins in somebody's expired parking meter!

What a morning!!!

FYI, these girls are employed by the Local Council to attract tourists (and everybody else for that matter)... It is not a joke.

Edited by markz 2011-07-31 4:11 AM

2011-07-31 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

THAT'S IT!!!! I'm moving to the Golden Coast! I don't care about my belongings, my job or nothing. Just taking my triathlon gear, bike, running shoes...

Mark, do you have room for one more in the house???

Please notice the name of the street in the photo, you guys in Australia have a lot of sense of humor, and pretty girls, and tons of races, a thriving economy, I'm gone!!!! Dang it! tickets are expensive though. I'm putting my wedding band for sale...

2011-07-31 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3622359

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-07-31 9:44 AM

THAT'S IT!!!! I'm moving to the Golden Coast! I don't care about my belongings, my job or nothing. Just taking my triathlon gear, bike, running shoes...

Please notice the name of the street in the photo, you guys in Australia have a lot of sense of humor, and pretty girls, and tons of races, a thriving economy, I'm gone!!!! Dang it! tickets are expensive though. I'm putting my wedding band for sale...

LOL Mark!  X2 on Ernesto's comment, what a country and can you make room for another one in the house!  If I ever decide to get involved in Guatemalan politics, we are getting a Meter Maid program established down here Smile 

On a more serious note, I feel like a wrench has been thrown into my training, just two weeks before my first 1/2 IM tri (IronMaya).  I just came down with a really bad cold a few days ago.  Last night was one of my best friend's wedding (his second) and I was a best man, so I could not escape being at the party until very late, which did not help for my cold.  And now I just got confirmation that I have to travel to Spain for business this Tuesday and coming back probably on Sunday (one week before my tri), where in addition to the long travel, I won't be able to train much, maybe run at the most.  I'm really worried that this will severely affect my chances of completing the IronMaya tri, but I still have all the desire to participate and give it my best.  Any advice or learnings from similar experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Saludos!  

2011-07-31 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3622505

User image

Maple Grove, MN
sirgab - 2011-07-31 1:26 PM

ernestov - 2011-07-31 9:44 AM

LOL Mark!  X2 on Ernesto's comment, what a country and can you make room for another one in the house!  If I ever decide to get involved in Guatemalan politics, we are getting a Meter Maid program established down here Smile 

On a more serious note, I feel like a wrench has been thrown into my training, just two weeks before my first 1/2 IM tri (IronMaya).  I just came down with a really bad cold a few days ago.  Last night was one of my best friend's wedding (his second) and I was a best man, so I could not escape being at the party until very late, which did not help for my cold.  And now I just got confirmation that I have to travel to Spain for business this Tuesday and coming back probably on Sunday (one week before my tri), where in addition to the long travel, I won't be able to train much, maybe run at the most.  I'm really worried that this will severely affect my chances of completing the IronMaya tri, but I still have all the desire to participate and give it my best.  Any advice or learnings from similar experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Saludos!  

Finish? What te heck are you talking about? Of course you will finish. You had a very good time in your Olympic in the sweltering heat. And you basically should be tapering anyway. You don't build fitness in the last ten days to two weeks anyway.
2011-07-31 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Chris is right once again, fitness has been built, all the hay is in the barn now. Actually it is kind of a good thing because it will force you to rest. Just try to run short and keep the intensity high by doing lots of intervals. One thing though, during your last week make the recovery of an interval just as long as the interval itself, i.e. 1 minute hard X 1 minute recovery.

Trust your training, you've been smart and dedicated, it is not going to the trash in one week.

2011-07-31 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Thanks guys! You are welcome to stay with us and enjoy the country. It's all true, except maybe for the thriving economy, Ernesto. It seems to be working, but you have to pay $12.-/kilo for bananas...

2011-07-31 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3622581

User image

Master
Dallas
markz - 2011-07-31 3:07 PM Thanks guys! You are welcome to stay with us and enjoy the country. It's all true, except maybe for the thriving economy, Ernesto. It seems to be working, but you have to pay $12.-/kilo for bananas...
It's alright, bananas are too carb dense anyway! I could survive on melons (looking at the picture). hahaha!
2011-07-31 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3622712

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

ernestov - 2011-07-31 5:39 PM
markz - 2011-07-31 3:07 PM Thanks guys! You are welcome to stay with us and enjoy the country. It's all true, except maybe for the thriving economy, Ernesto. It seems to be working, but you have to pay $12.-/kilo for bananas...

It's alright, bananas are too carb dense anyway! I could survive on melons (looking at the picture). hahaha!

I can see we could degrade this thread very quickly... Wink

Edited by markz 2011-08-01 12:05 AM
2011-07-31 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3622986

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
markz - 2011-07-31 10:15 PM

ernestov - 2011-07-31 5:39 PM

I can see we could degrade this thread very quicly... Wink

Too late, already there.  How about some meter men?? 

2011-08-01 12:07 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Oh, dear...
2011-08-01 7:43 AM

User image

Master

So I ran twice this weekend and maybe made a discovery on why my knee pain got so bad out of the blue two weeks ago.  I had been wearing a knee strap to help dsitribute the load on my patella across the knee.  I think over time I placed it higher and higher on my knee until it was forcing the tendon to rub even more on the underlying bone. 

My first run in two weeks was okay on Saturday.  I need to refocus on running slow when I am supposed to.  No real pain at all.

Yesterday I ran in the heat of the day and again need to focus on slowing down.  I started experiencing knee pain and rasied the knee strap up my leg a bit as I had done in the past thinking that it was too low.  The pain got worse and I had an epiphany and lowered the strap...amazingly no more pain the rest of the run.  Now I wonder if I wasn't my own worse enemy and created a situation where I sidelined myself for 2 weeks for my own stupidity.  Oh well...always a lesson in our actions.

Today I am off to swim at lunch again.  I feel a routine starting here with lunchtime swims and I am getting very happy about it.

Ernesto - Happy belated birthday!

2011-08-01 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3623190

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-08-01 7:43 AM

So I ran twice this weekend and maybe made a discovery on why my knee pain got so bad out of the blue two weeks ago.  I had been wearing a knee strap to help dsitribute the load on my patella across the knee.  I think over time I placed it higher and higher on my knee until it was forcing the tendon to rub even more on the underlying bone. 

My first run in two weeks was okay on Saturday.  I need to refocus on running slow when I am supposed to.  No real pain at all.

Yesterday I ran in the heat of the day and again need to focus on slowing down.  I started experiencing knee pain and rasied the knee strap up my leg a bit as I had done in the past thinking that it was too low.  The pain got worse and I had an epiphany and lowered the strap...amazingly no more pain the rest of the run.  Now I wonder if I wasn't my own worse enemy and created a situation where I sidelined myself for 2 weeks for my own stupidity.  Oh well...always a lesson in our actions.

Today I am off to swim at lunch again.  I feel a routine starting here with lunchtime swims and I am getting very happy about it.

Ernesto - Happy belated birthday!

Sometimes the best protection against injury is no protection at all. That's why I stay away from highly cushioned shoes or big arch supports.
2011-08-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3622529

User image

Expert
Guatemala
ernestov - 2011-07-31 1:05 PM

Chris is right once again, fitness has been built, all the hay is in the barn now. Actually it is kind of a good thing because it will force you to rest. Just try to run short and keep the intensity high by doing lots of intervals. One thing though, during your last week make the recovery of an interval just as long as the interval itself, i.e. 1 minute hard X 1 minute recovery.

Trust your training, you've been smart and dedicated, it is not going to the trash in one week.

Chris and Ernesto

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement, I feel a little more confident now and will work on getting healthy, getting some high intensity workouts during my trip tomorrow and come back ready to enjoy the Iron Maya event!  

Chris, I enjoyed your post a few days back about the importance of your running form (and also enjoyed the book "Born to Run").  I started running at a track in the last couple of weeks and someone pointed out that  I was heel striking on my stride and should try to land more mid to fore foot.  As soon as I tried landing on my forefoot, I felt like I could go faster with the same level of effort.  So it is something that I will be testing slowly, to see if I can get used to it without risking injury.   

Jen,

Happy Birthday, hope you are having a great one and settling in well in Colorado!

2011-08-01 11:52 AM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Well, July is over. For the month, I swam .4 miles and biked zero miles. On the other hand, I ran 27 out of 31 days for a total of 189 miles, by far the most I've run in a month. Can you tell I'm putting my upcoming marathon as a higher priority than my sprint tri on August 27th? (Again, I'm planning on picking up tri training again in the winter. Gabe doing both a HIM in August and a marathon this fall is making me feel outdone, so I may sign up for the HIM version of the Olympic I did in June as a motivator over the winter.)

Yesterday I ran my first of four "long runs", after running 22 miles the three previous days. It was 15 miles, the next 3 are 16 miles, one 6 weeks out, one 4 weeks out, and one 2 weeks out. Ugh. First ten miles fine at about a minute slower than my goal pace, but then the humidity got to me. I bought a fuel belt so was hydrated, (two 6 oz bottles of gatorade, two 6 oz bottles of water) but still, I just lost motivation to push it and gradually slowed to about 2 minutes below goal pace. At the end, I literally rung out my shirt and shorts on my driveway. I didn't want to bring that much water into the house.

Hopefully, the gains in endurance will translate to the bike and swim, even if the particular muscle training doesn't.
2011-08-01 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3623050

El Paso
markz - 2011-08-01 12:07 AMOh, dear...
2011-08-01 3:59 PM

El Paso
markz - 2011-08-01 12:07 AMOh, dear...

2011-08-01 4:04 PM

El Paso

markz - 2011-08-01 12:07 AM Oh, dear...

ajajajajaja  LOL !!   this is super funny !!  

nice public service !!!!

2011-08-01 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3623834

User image

Master
Dallas

QUOTE]older2533 - 2011-08-01 11:52 AM Well, July is over. For the month, I swam .4 miles and biked zero miles. On the other hand, I ran 27 out of 31 days for a total of 189 miles, by far the most I've run in a month. Can you tell I'm putting my upcoming marathon as a higher priority than my sprint tri on August 27th? (Again, I'm planning on picking up tri training again in the winter. Gabe doing both a HIM in August and a marathon this fall is making me feel outdone, so I may sign up for the HIM version of the Olympic I did in June as a motivator over the winter.) Yesterday I ran my first of four "long runs", after running 22 miles the three previous days. It was 15 miles, the next 3 are 16 miles, one 6 weeks out, one 4 weeks out, and one 2 weeks out. Ugh. First ten miles fine at about a minute slower than my goal pace, but then the humidity got to me. I bought a fuel belt so was hydrated, (two 6 oz bottles of gatorade, two 6 oz bottles of water) but still, I just lost motivation to push it and gradually slowed to about 2 minutes below goal pace. At the end, I literally rung out my shirt and shorts on my driveway. I didn't want to bring that much water into the house. Hopefully, the gains in endurance will translate to the bike and swim, even if the particular muscle training doesn't.

During the actual training for the marathon, replicating race pace at long distances will be extremely hard, maybe impossible, but that is what the taper is for. Just like I told Gabe, trust your training, you're stronger than an ox. The huge increase in mileage is hiding the fitness you are gaining in some way, when you taper you will feel invincible.

On the other hand, it will be hard to translate your fitness gains quickly because of the muscle specificity of swimming and cycling. The only thing that you will carry over is your now enormous aerobic capacity.

2011-08-01 9:22 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Thanks Ernesto.

Today only, garmin 405 is $150 aT amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27
2011-08-01 10:19 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Subject: New Bike

Thoughts anyone? 

I was fitted on a 48 cm Cervelo P2 and a 48 cm Specialized Transition Comp.  Since the Cervelo has 650cc wheels vs the Specialized with 700cc, I am 99% sure I'm going to go with the Specialized.  That will make my third Specialized bike.

If you have one of these or know someone who does, please give me any insight you have.

Also, Ernesto, the wheels are basic.  The shop is telling me to go ahead and get those (souped up) special tri wheels.  The financing deal is pretty sweet, 0% for 12 to 18 months.  Your thoughts on wheels??

2011-08-02 4:06 AM
in reply to: #3624362

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
alfredo1414 - 2011-08-01 4:04 PM

markz - 2011-08-01 12:07 AM Oh, dear...

ajajajajaja  LOL !!   this is super funny !!  

nice public service !!!!

Gracias amigo.

2011-08-02 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3624800

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: New Bike
jdiis - 2011-08-01 10:19 PM

Thoughts anyone? 

I was fitted on a 48 cm Cervelo P2 and a 48 cm Specialized Transition Comp.  Since the Cervelo has 650cc wheels vs the Specialized with 700cc, I am 99% sure I'm going to go with the Specialized.  That will make my third Specialized bike.

If you have one of these or know someone who does, please give me any insight you have.

Also, Ernesto, the wheels are basic.  The shop is telling me to go ahead and get those (souped up) special tri wheels.  The financing deal is pretty sweet, 0% for 12 to 18 months.  Your thoughts on wheels??

The specialized is one of the best tri bikes out there by far, only bettered by the Shiv (Specialized too). Go for it!! I don't know if you will benefit from aero wheels at this point though, you will in the future but not now. What brand and model of wheels do they offer you? I don't think you should take anything deeper than Zipp 404 because of your low weight. Bigger wheels would turn you into a sail with crosswinds, plus Austin has a lot of hills that you don't want to climb with aero wheels, too heavy.
2011-08-02 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Good morning everyone.  I took some time to read the last few pages of the forum this morning.  Trying to set up a new training plan without a race in sights is difficult.  I've been running and although the air is rare I'm good with it now.  It's the endless hills that are everywhere I turn.  I've mentally accepted them as life now getting my body to embrace them!  I am not training with MAF here yet because my heartrate is still high and I want to give myself more time without having the limiter on.  I am tracking my heart rate though.  I'm up to running 45 minutes at a time and I only have to walk once or twice on the steeper hills and even that is less than a minute combined.  I also started on the trail here.  I can access it about 1.25miles from the house.  Once on the trail it goes on to a 5% grade incline.  I haven't ran that long on it yet.  The hill on the way back to the house is 4% or so.  I know they say it's cooler here but running in the direct sun..Is like running under a heat lamp, IT MELTS YOU!  Once in the shade however..  WOW!

The hills and trails will make me stronger.  I am looking forward to the training.  We are mapping the bike loop today to see how that looks and I will start shopping for a new bike this weekend.  I was going to put sites on IM UK but I think I want to do a few 1/2 IM next year instead.  That will give me another year of training and confidence.  April I will return to SC to do the Cooper River Bridge Run... I can't wait!  

So enough rambling...  Ernesto, or anyone..

Any strategies or plans to just "train to prepare for training".  After all, I too an now a year older and I want this to be the best year ever!!!! 

2011-08-02 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3625178

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-08-02 8:57 AM

Good morning everyone.  I took some time to read the last few pages of the forum this morning.  Trying to set up a new training plan without a race in sights is difficult.  I've been running and although the air is rare I'm good with it now.  It's the endless hills that are everywhere I turn.  I've mentally accepted them as life now getting my body to embrace them!  I am not training with MAF here yet because my heartrate is still high and I want to give myself more time without having the limiter on.  I am tracking my heart rate though.  I'm up to running 45 minutes at a time and I only have to walk once or twice on the steeper hills and even that is less than a minute combined.  I also started on the trail here.  I can access it about 1.25miles from the house.  Once on the trail it goes on to a 5% grade incline.  I haven't ran that long on it yet.  The hill on the way back to the house is 4% or so.  I know they say it's cooler here but running in the direct sun..Is like running under a heat lamp, IT MELTS YOU!  Once in the shade however..  WOW!

The hills and trails will make me stronger.  I am looking forward to the training.  We are mapping the bike loop today to see how that looks and I will start shopping for a new bike this weekend.  I was going to put sites on IM UK but I think I want to do a few 1/2 IM next year instead.  That will give me another year of training and confidence.  April I will return to SC to do the Cooper River Bridge Run... I can't wait!  

So enough rambling...  Ernesto, or anyone..

Any strategies or plans to just "train to prepare for training".  After all, I too an now a year older and I want this to be the best year ever!!!! 

Jennie,

For a steady heart rate, find a local high school track and run early in the morning while still "cool".

About the training, set your sights on some race and sign up for it, it is by far the best motivator. If you don't have a goal that holds you accountable you will probably sucumb to other responsibilities. If you don't believe look at my training log. Right now I don't anything in the horizon and it's killing me. This of course is contingent upon available time, I know getting settled takes time and a lot of work.

Try and find a local tri club that has regular rides and runs, group workouts are fun and they can be challenging.

For melting, try our high today: 110 degrees!!!!! Heading for a record in Texas, only 11 days away for the longest streak of days above 100, and the most incredible drought in decades.

2011-08-02 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3625209

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I agree...  I talked to my husband about just finding a race even an easy 10k to focus on. My sons school has a track and I am going on Friday to see if the public can use it.  As for the heat... NO THANK YOU!  The heat isn't the killer here at all.  It is the sun itself.  The lack of atmosphere is the kicker.  The rays themselves.  as soon as you step in the shade the temp drops like a rock.  I haven't been gone from the heat and humidity long enough to have forgotten the torture!!  I was looking at the national temps and it looked like Texas is getting the worst of the heat with all time highs....  I can't imagine.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84