General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-04-27 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4717157

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread

erincs - 2013-04-27 11:14 AM I also just got a power meter  on my bike (picked it up yesterday from the shop).  I'm anxious to try it out, but the Syracuse 70.3 will give me a good idea of pacing during a race, with the PM.

So will you go by HR for Syracuse and analyze your power afterwards? I think the usual protocol is to do a FTP test and race at a percentage of FTP.That's my plan for LP.

Now, if you haven't done a FTP text before, that is also something you need to learn how to do properly, so if you only have time to do it once you will probably not get an accurate base number to use. Plus they are really hard when done properly.

2013-04-28 4:26 AM
in reply to: #4717246

Regular
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-27 2:45 PM

erincs - 2013-04-27 11:14 AM I also just got a power meter  on my bike (picked it up yesterday from the shop).  I'm anxious to try it out, but the Syracuse 70.3 will give me a good idea of pacing during a race, with the PM.

So will you go by HR for Syracuse and analyze your power afterwards? I think the usual protocol is to do a FTP test and race at a percentage of FTP.That's my plan for LP.

Now, if you haven't done a FTP text before, that is also something you need to learn how to do properly, so if you only have time to do it once you will probably not get an accurate base number to use. Plus they are really hard when done properly.

Agreed on these points.  I'd add I find that the power meter is fantastic for trainer work, but still getting a feel for it on the open road.  I am getting a new bike computer, for example, because my 310xt is okay for power, but not ideal.  I would suggest the new Friel book on power for some base learning (their are other good books, but they are pretty technical), and I think I will have to get WKO+ at some point as well.  (Mac user, so a small challenge)  The endurance corner website has some good stuff, too, in terms of "book smarts".  All that said, still getting used to the road with the PW.

For those with power meters, how do you actually use them on the course?  Or put another way, what are your best/worst lessons learned?  Thanks!

2013-04-28 5:59 AM
in reply to: #4717603

User image

Pro
jsenc2002 - 2013-04-28 5:26 AM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-27 2:45 PM

Agreed on these points.  I'd add I find that the power meter is fantastic for trainer work, but still getting a feel for it on the open road.  I am getting a new bike computer, for example, because my 310xt is okay for power, but not ideal.  I would suggest the new Friel book on power for some base learning (their are other good books, but they are pretty technical), and I think I will have to get WKO+ at some point as well.  (Mac user, so a small challenge)  The endurance corner website has some good stuff, too, in terms of "book smarts".  All that said, still getting used to the road with the PW.

For those with power meters, how do you actually use them on the course?  Or put another way, what are your best/worst lessons learned?  Thanks!

Try Golden Cheetah. Free and works very well.
2013-04-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

I am doing the American Triple T in Ohio next month. 4 races in 3 days with a total race mileage of over 140 miles... The bike course and run courses also have switchbacks on it so it will be tons of climbing! 

Went out for a long run yesterday as it was nice and sunny but i wore a longsleeve not thinking I would need sunscreen. my hands are bright red now! it burns!

2013-04-28 3:28 PM

User image

Pro

So the good news this week is I started the bike focus. Bad news is the hamstring pull is killing my runs.

I did 117 miles outdoors. Today's ride had 3154 feet of climb. 40 minutes were spent above 231 watts. I need to do a new FTP test, but I know it was 208 last August before I crashed, and I have been assuming it is lower than that now. 

Considering I've been only been doing 3-3.5 hours a week on the trainer, I can't believe I'm able to move.

Man I missed biking.

2013-04-28 6:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Wow, nice work Brian. How long were you out?

I'm starting to freak out a little over my pacing. I see the calendar ticking by and am turning into a basket case.  I plan on heading up the weekend after next to do 1.5 loops. Hopefully I can start to ease my (crazy) mind.

2013-04-28 6:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

Whoop! Wrapped up recovery week today.  Legs are feeling great...can't wait to get this week started! 

Except my coach gave me a 2k TT in the pool tomorrow morning...lol

2013-04-28 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4718123

Regular

Great ride, Brian.

My week was less than perfect... but our house went on the market, so the pain cave was out of commission!  That said, I had basically a technology free couple hour ride today!  It felt soooo good, and I finally got into an aero position that clicked (only took two years)!  I know it's not a 117 miler, 2k time trial in a pool, but heck, I'll take what I can get after this week!  Keep it up!

2013-04-28 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hi everyone!

Been stalking the group lately and not commenting mostly because work and life are nuts.

Anyway, had a great 70 mile ride outside today! It was my 3rd outside ride this year, I hate to jinx myself but I think I'm outside for good now! Still hard to get out in the mornings - was 17 this morning but warmed up to 70 so it makes getting an early start tough. I found today that I have some fit issues in that my neck and shoulders were way fatigued...not sure what was up, it's a new development. Love some advice - maybe re-fit or get a stronger neck? Haha

I want to do a HIM before but haven't found one that fits around the weddings I have to go to in June. Quassy is a great race, wish I could do that. I'm thinking of setting up my own personal HIM...I wan to test my nutrition out. I know not as good as a race but it might be my only option.

I'm going to Fireman Ironman camp in June (23-25 I think). It is like $120 and worth it to me to have someone know I'm out there since I am going alone. I plan a big weekend gettin there Thu and coming home Sun. Sat is my biggest day 2 bike loops + 6 mile run, but I'm SBRing there all weekend. Let me know if any of you are around LP that weekend.

That's it for now! Hope everyone is happy, healthy, and training hard!!

Mandy
2013-04-28 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4718099

User image

Pro
cheekymonkeys1 - 2013-04-28 7:28 PM

Wow, nice work Brian. How long were you out?

I'm starting to freak out a little over my pacing. I see the calendar ticking by and am turning into a basket case.  I plan on heading up the weekend after next to do 1.5 loops. Hopefully I can start to ease my (crazy) mind.

Other than the solo ride on the tri bike I need to check the Garmin and see what the moving time works out to be. Yesterday was funny in that we were zipping along and stopped at around 20 miles in so I could fix my friends cadence sensor. Along comes the co-president of my tri club and her husband. A minute later another member stops. A couple minutes later another member coming from the opposite direction. So we spent too much time talking but it was so funny. We swapped riding partners and I kept going. Totally hammered on the way back. Today was a big group ride of over 20 people. At the halfway point we stopped at a cafe for bottle refills. About half the group was toasted and wanted to go back the flat way, I stuck with the group that wanted to do more hills. If we averaged 15mph I'd be impressed. Small ring most of the day and really good group ride training.
2013-04-28 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4718190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

I'm going to Fireman Ironman camp in June (23-25 I think). It is like $120 and worth it to me to have someone know I'm out there since I am going alone. I plan a big weekend gettin there Thu and coming home Sun. Sat is my biggest day 2 bike loops + 6 mile run, but I'm SBRing there all weekend. Let me know if any of you are around LP that weekend.
Mandy

Mandy I just checked and it's $189 for that camp.  Just an FYI.

2013-04-29 3:58 AM

User image

Lebanon
Good training weekend in the books. 13.1 run on Saturday with over 1300 ft. of climbing and a 3 hr ride yesterday with 3800+ ft of climbing. It was uphill kind of weekend.
2013-04-29 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4717246

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-27 1:45 PM

No, I can't use HR during a race, that's why I decided on a power meter for an IM.  My HR hits zone 5 standing on shore waiting for the gun, and never comes back down.  All my data up to HIM shows that I raced the whole thing in zone 5.  It's kind of crazy.

So rather than going by perceived effort, I'll use power instead.  I will do a few FTP tests, as well as using my weekly time trial race to guage my power zones.

2013-04-29 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4717603

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

jsenc2002 - 2013-04-28 4:26 AM

This is my question as well.  I'm sure my coach will have some thoughts on how she wants me to use it for LP, but just wondering what other people do.

I'm assuming, because of the big descent and the climb back up, that I don't want to be watching avg power....?

2013-04-29 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4718596

User image

Pro
erincs - 2013-04-29 9:20 AM

jsenc2002 - 2013-04-28 4:26 AM

This is my question as well.  I'm sure my coach will have some thoughts on how she wants me to use it for LP, but just wondering what other people do.

I'm assuming, because of the big descent and the climb back up, that I don't want to be watching avg power....?

I only have an n=1 from last year, but if you are planning to train and race with power you need to stick with the plan. I missed a turn in buoy during the swim, biked at 90-95% FTP for the first hour, and ran like cr*p.

Take a look at the meaning of VI (Variability Index). It basically is a measure of how many power spikes you have. These are what really tires you out. Suppose you want to race IMLP at 65% of your FTP and that works out to 150 watts. You know its going to be zero going down Keene but it's going to be higher on the bears. You want to plan the race so that these transitions are not sharp and you know what power to be used on what part of the course so that your VI stays under 1.05.

That's the theory, I am still figuring out what that means in reality I would think that taken to it's logical conclusion you have to break the course down into segments and figure out what power to use on each segment so that you stay within those constraints.

2013-04-29 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4718190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
manfarr1974 - 2013-04-28 8:46 PM Hi everyone!

Been stalking the group lately and not commenting mostly because work and life are nuts.

Anyway, had a great 70 mile ride outside today! It was my 3rd outside ride this year, I hate to jinx myself but I think I'm outside for good now! Still hard to get out in the mornings - was 17 this morning but warmed up to 70 so it makes getting an early start tough. I found today that I have some fit issues in that my neck and shoulders were way fatigued...not sure what was up, it's a new development. Love some advice - maybe re-fit or get a stronger neck? Haha

I want to do a HIM before but haven't found one that fits around the weddings I have to go to in June. Quassy is a great race, wish I could do that. I'm thinking of setting up my own personal HIM...I wan to test my nutrition out. I know not as good as a race but it might be my only option.

That's it for now! Hope everyone is happy, healthy, and training hard!!

Mandy

My friend Joe and I are going to dry run the LP course on June 23 to 25th without the camp - maybe one loop of the bike on the 24th and 25th.  One loop of the run on the 24th and a swim on 23 or 24 just to loosen up.  Send a message if you want to join in.

Edited by cobratodd 2013-04-29 10:02 AM

2013-04-29 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Good morning peeps!

Had an awesome long run yesterday ... but had to cancel my long ride again due to the renovation stuff I'm stuck with on the weekends. I really hope we're past the point where my contractor has things for me to tackle on the weekend. I appreciate the sweat equity I gain on the costs, but I'm missing the bike training.

Ran about 10 of my 21 miles with an IMLP finisher from last year, so we had a great conversation going.

Regarding course rides. As my reno projects gets finished and my daughter's graduation comes and goes, I'll have a better idea of when I can make it over for a loop of the course. It'd be great to meet anyone from here for a Saturday ride. 
2013-04-29 5:41 PM

User image

Regular
NYC

Cornick/ Mandy- I can't seem to find the link for the Fireman Ironman Camp... I can only find the 2012 info.

Tri Warrior- Did you do the Tour de Scranton? The elevation gain on your ride is very similar to mine. I took a little longer than 3 hours though.

Todd- Nice Half Mary yesterday... you sure can move!

2013-04-29 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4719790

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
jmagnyc - 2013-04-29 6:41 PM

Cornick/ Mandy- I can't seem to find the link for the Fireman Ironman Camp... I can only find the 2012 info.

Cornick- Thanks for the FYI...I signed up super early and guess the price was different than I remember...oops! Sorry!

Fireman Camp was worth it last time for me, great super fun group and good support. What i like most is going with the group for the supported 2 loop+6 mile run on Sat. I like having someone to call if i get in a bind since I'm going 100% alone.. The speakers at the dinner are really good and it is just nice to meet others doing the race.

Jmagnyc - they never updated the website...they are VERY laid back...email Larry Parker ([email protected]) if you want to sign up or have questions, he can link you up.Today was a rest day but I'm all antsy!! Riding tomorrow, can't wait!

Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2013-04-29 7:11 PM

2013-04-29 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4718850

User image

Veteran

Hey Todd ...

I am also doing the Fireman Ironman camp ... there is nothing supported on the Monday so I would be game to swim/run with you guys if that is cool ...

Still haven't booked my hotel room for that weekend - hope I can still find something.

2013-04-29 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran

Here is Fireman camp info ...

http://m.active.com/triathlon-camp/lake-placid-ny/firemanironman-tri-camps-may-17-19-and-june-21-23-2013

I registered in December and it was $169 for both camps ... I can't do the May one but I still thought the price was ok.

2013-04-30 3:51 AM

User image

Lebanon
My ride was a couple hours south of the Tour de Scranton, in the Lebanon-Mt. Gretna area. Part of the ride was the "Got the nerve" sprint tri course.
2013-04-30 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
So ... I had selected a documentary on the Bee Gees (don't judge) to watch on the trainer this morning. Headed down to the Pain Cave, looked at my schedule and realized I was off by a day and that I only had a recovery run scheduled. Being the obedient pawn to a schedule that I am, I headed back upstairs to get ready for the run. The headlamp hadn't charged and is actually drained, so I figured I could lay down for another half hour and it would probably be light enough to go out without any lights.

Ooops.

So it's just a swim day then.
2013-04-30 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4720313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

BernardDogs - 2013-04-30 8:36 AM So ... I had selected a documentary on the Bee Gees (don't judge) to watch on the trainer this morning. Headed down to the Pain Cave, looked at my schedule and realized I was off by a day and that I only had a recovery run scheduled. Being the obedient pawn to a schedule that I am, I headed back upstairs to get ready for the run. The headlamp hadn't charged and is actually drained, so I figured I could lay down for another half hour and it would probably be light enough to go out without any lights.

Ooops.

Oh no! Do a swim/run brick!

Not sure about anyone else buy my brain is becoming consumed on a 24/7 basis for LP.

2013-04-30 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4720401

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
cornick - 2013-04-30 9:25 AM

BernardDogs - 2013-04-30 8:36 AM So ... I had selected a documentary on the Bee Gees (don't judge) to watch on the trainer this morning. Headed down to the Pain Cave, looked at my schedule and realized I was off by a day and that I only had a recovery run scheduled. Being the obedient pawn to a schedule that I am, I headed back upstairs to get ready for the run. The headlamp hadn't charged and is actually drained, so I figured I could lay down for another half hour and it would probably be light enough to go out without any lights.

Ooops.

Oh no! Do a swim/run brick!

Not sure about anyone else buy my brain is becoming consumed on a 24/7 basis for LP.

I might ... the dogs will be nuts when I get home, running them will probably be a good thing.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59