BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4594873

User image

Connecticut
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

thanks everyone for the great info!  I usually have decent energy levels throughout the day  but I do end up making poor food choices later in the day and feeling hungrier than i should by dinner time. 

I think Ill try rotating a few of those options into my breakfast routine. 

2013-01-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4594597

User image

Connecticut

Edited by lp3510 2013-01-25 3:10 PM
2013-01-25 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4594597

User image

Connecticut
mirthfuldragon - 2013-01-25 12:58 PM
lp3510 - 2013-01-25 10:50 AM

This is a bit off topic but I was wondering everyone’s take on diets and meal
planning. I was talking to my wife and she brought up how I never eat breakfast
and that many studies have shown that you are more likely to lose weight by
eating breakfast and less likely to snack and eat bad carbs during the day. So
the goal for the next few weeks is to eat breakfast.

What type of easy, healthy and (most importantly) tasty breakfast foods do you all
try to incorporate in your diets?

I actually have two breakfasts. My first is pre-AM workout, which is usually a Greek yogurt with a teaspoon off creatine. After workout, i have a protein shake and some instant oatmeal, which i usually have when i get to the office. toast and eggs is another good breakfast. I try to avoid cereal, because i love it but it has so many carbs and almost no protein. Since i an still losing weight and trying to hit my goal, my diet is largely a struggle to keep my protein macros up - 180g a day against 1,800 calories. I will write some more when I get back to the office.

Im 6'2 and weight about 275.  I really would like to get down 30-40 lbs this year so I am tracking my food in the myfitnesspal app. Based on their recommendations I should be taking in about 1800 calories a day too.  How important to weight loss is it that a large portion be protein?

2013-01-25 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4594943

User image

Veteran
Illinois
lp3510 - 2013-01-25 3:09 PM

What type of easy, healthy and (most importantly) tasty breakfast foods do you all

I actually have two breakfasts. My first is pre-AM workout, which is usually a Greek yogurt with a teaspoon off creatine. After workout, i have a protein shake and some instant oatmeal, which i usually have when i get to the office. toast and eggs is another good breakfast. I try to avoid cereal, because i love it but it has so many carbs and almost no protein. Since i an still losing weight and trying to hit my goal, my diet is largely a struggle to keep my protein macros up - 180g a day against 1,800 calories. I will write some more when I get back to the office.

Im 6'2 and weight about 275.  I really would like to get down 30-40 lbs this year so I am tracking my food in the myfitnesspal app. Based on their recommendations I should be taking in about 1800 calories a day too.  How important to weight loss is it that a large portion be protein?

I've spent a lot of time trying to distill the proper nutrition nugget from all the bro-science out there, so I'll give you a run-down as to what I think I know, and what I plan around.

High protein helps you rebuild the muscles you damage, is filling and tasty, and is generally a good thing.

Generally, the rule of thumb is 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is really body weight minus fat.  However, unless your protein numbers get ridiculous or you have liver problems, your body will convert excess protein to fat, so there's probably no such thing as too much protein.

Based on that, I set my protein goal at 180g.  Remember, training is about doing muscular damage, and protein is the building and re-building block.  It's also filling and tasty.  That's probably borderline-overkill, but there's really no downside at this level to too much protein.  Well, that's probably not 100% accurate, since carbs are what break down into easy energy, which is what replaces glycogen, but my carb levels probably stay around 200g on 1,800 calories, which is generally sufficient to replenish glycogen and leave me adequately fueled for the next day.  

Another note on protein:  the body's ability to take it in is generally about 30g per meal, so try to space it out during the day.  For me, I'll usually have a greek yogurt pre-workout (12g protein), then a protein shake with breakfast (30g protein), then lunch (usually around 30g), then dinner (usually 50 to 80g protein), and a protein shake again, either after my PM workout or before bed.  Protein before bed is also good since your body can rebuild overnight.

My macronutrient breakdown is 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat.  I don't actively avoid fat, but my carb numbers tend to run a bit high, so practically it's more like 45/40/15.

Myfitnesspal's default protein numbers are ridiculously low, so change them.

Also, one of my favorite general rules about food is what I call the rule of 10 - for carbs, the fiber times ten should be equal to or less than the calories of the food item.  The same applies for protein - protein x 10 > calories.  It's a short rule to determine if a food item is nutrient dense.  Fiber is great because each gram of fiber is the equivalent, in feeling full, of something like 200 calories.

As far as planning meals goes, I actively plan my meals the day before, so it takes away the temptation and puts me into a guilt position if I deviate.  It also lets my wife and I plan dinner the night before.

2013-01-25 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4594932

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
lp3510 - 2013-01-25 3:00 PM

thanks everyone for the great info!  I usually have decent energy levels throughout the day  but I do end up making poor food choices later in the day and feeling hungrier than i should by dinner time. 

I think Ill try rotating a few of those options into my breakfast routine. 

Try eating every three hours. A weight loss example would be 400 calories, 100 calories, 400 , 100, 400, and 50. Determine the amount you need but spread it out for the day.
2013-01-25 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Enjoying the nutrition class, could do without her political views,. Our first lab will be on body composition and vO2. I will be facing , what could possibly be , the ugly truth. But, the knowledge of where I am will help me get where I want to be.

2013-01-25 7:18 PM
in reply to: #4594455

User image

Expert

I am a big fan of breakfast.  Here are the meals currently in my rotation: Quaker Oatmeal with peaches, blueberries, and a banana., Scrambled eggs (290 calories for three eggs - the protein will keep you feeling fuller longer), Wheat berries (unprocessed wheat) that I usually have with fruit or with yogurt, shredded wheat, smoothies, and then there's pancakes on the weekends.

2013-01-25 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
It appears I opened my pie hole a bit to soon.  After a meal today I went back to the nausea.  One good thing is now it's only after I eat, not before.  I guess the doctor  said a week and I got excited a bit early.
2013-01-25 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4595021

User image

Connecticut
mirthfuldragon - 2013-01-25 5:04 PM
lp3510 - 2013-01-25 3:09 PM

I've spent a lot of time trying to distill the proper nutrition nugget from all the bro-science out there, so I'll give you a run-down as to what I think I know, and what I plan around.

High protein helps you rebuild the muscles you damage, is filling and tasty, and is generally a good thing.

Generally, the rule of thumb is 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, which is really body weight minus fat.  However, unless your protein numbers get ridiculous or you have liver problems, your body will convert excess protein to fat, so there's probably no such thing as too much protein.

Based on that, I set my protein goal at 180g.  Remember, training is about doing muscular damage, and protein is the building and re-building block.  It's also filling and tasty.  That's probably borderline-overkill, but there's really no downside at this level to too much protein.  Well, that's probably not 100% accurate, since carbs are what break down into easy energy, which is what replaces glycogen, but my carb levels probably stay around 200g on 1,800 calories, which is generally sufficient to replenish glycogen and leave me adequately fueled for the next day.  

Another note on protein:  the body's ability to take it in is generally about 30g per meal, so try to space it out during the day.  For me, I'll usually have a greek yogurt pre-workout (12g protein), then a protein shake with breakfast (30g protein), then lunch (usually around 30g), then dinner (usually 50 to 80g protein), and a protein shake again, either after my PM workout or before bed.  Protein before bed is also good since your body can rebuild overnight.

My macronutrient breakdown is 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat.  I don't actively avoid fat, but my carb numbers tend to run a bit high, so practically it's more like 45/40/15.

Myfitnesspal's default protein numbers are ridiculously low, so change them.

Also, one of my favorite general rules about food is what I call the rule of 10 - for carbs, the fiber times ten should be equal to or less than the calories of the food item.  The same applies for protein - protein x 10 > calories.  It's a short rule to determine if a food item is nutrient dense.  Fiber is great because each gram of fiber is the equivalent, in feeling full, of something like 200 calories.

As far as planning meals goes, I actively plan my meals the day before, so it takes away the temptation and puts me into a guilt position if I deviate.  It also lets my wife and I plan dinner the night before.

Thank you for so much knowledge. I have been just looking at the calories Ive been putting eating and not what makes them up.   I think my wife will be very happy with planning meals and snacks during for the next day.  Its something we have discussed so many times.  Thanks again for all the info and support

2013-01-25 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

2 items:

Turkey bacon is just not right...Laughing

Beer...more then just a breakfast drink!

2013-01-26 7:19 AM
in reply to: #4595272

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
thor67 - 2013-01-25 1:07 PM

2 items:

Turkey bacon is just not right...Laughing

Beer...more then just a breakfast drink!

Agreed!

Also, to make a delicious breakfast cocktail when all you have are crap beer, throw some Clamato juice in there! Delicious!

Also I want to second Bob's idea of spinach, great super food, and if you chop it up, you can get mass amounts into a egg scramble. Here's a pretty tasty idea.

1. Cook up 1-2 slices of bacon diced up until about halfway cooked
  2. Add 1/2 diced onion and cook over med heat until onion is translucent (5 min or so)
  3. Add 2-3 cloves diced garlic (cook for 1 min)
  4. Add 2-3 cups chopped baby spinach cook til wilted ( 2-3 min)
  5. Add three eggs and Mix it All UP! cook until eggs are done to your liking!

Pretty quick healthy and filling due to the protein content from the eggs.

Edited by justinfss 2013-01-26 7:29 AM

2013-01-26 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

If back is 'back' in good condition:

• Continue with Half-Marathon Trg Plan - Went Running twice, building back up Cool
  • Swim x2 (including at least one 1/2 Iron distance continuous swim/benchmark time trial) Cool
  • Bike x2 - Only once Frown
  • Yoga x3(concentrating on back) - No yoga yet Frown

Pretty happy about this week, felt a couple of twinges in my back that kept me from pushing it too hard. Looks like I may be putting a coors light onto the warming shelf...

2013-01-26 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Trolling some of the other forums and found a pretty funny article about swimming. short easy read too if you have 30 seconds.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/07/training/the-triathlife-whats-the-deal-with-the-old-guy_57052
2013-01-26 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4595415

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I very much agree with Justin! Probably the healthiest breakfast I make is a spinach egg dish. I heat coconut oil, put in as much spinach as the skillet will hold. I am talking a mound of spinach. I cover it and it cooks down to a smaller level. Mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, onions and for me 2 eggs. It is a mound to eat and is very nutrient dense and is not very calorie dense.

This breakfast helped me go from 280 to 205. I was not eating enough veggies and this turned out to be a great way to kick off the day with a lot of them. I will stress again that I use a ton of spinach. 

Edited by bobddsmd 2013-01-26 7:59 AM
2013-01-26 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

great swim yesterday. a bit of a breakthrough for me as of late. 1200m endurance continuous swim without zoomers and I felt relaxed and enjoyed it. I had been hating my longer continuous sets lately. Things went through my mind like:why am I doing this, yes triathletes are crazy, will that lifeguard save me if I just stop swimming right now and sink.

I had been using my zoomers (small flippers) a little too much. The drag is that in order to get good form in the pool and not drag your legs you need to go faster. The faster I went the more I struggles with breathing. Zoomers helped that.

The other challenge is that my legs have been a little dead as I ramp up my bike and run. I have kept my run mpw somewhat elevated beyond my training plan to maintain my HM fitness from December but unfortunately it impacts the other workouts. Therefore today instead of doing my long run I did a short run of 6 miles. I love the fact that 6 miles is now a short run. In October 2011 I could not run 1/2 a block, seriously!

I hope everyone has a good weekend.  I had a Shiner Seasonal last night. 

I have a Wells Bombardier English Premium Ale that I have been saving. Made in England. I am going to drink it soon (not this morning) and think of my grandfather who recovered in an English Hospital for a month after being shot in France during WW1. He liked to drink room temp Labatt's Blue. Yikes.

2013-01-26 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4593920

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Qua17 - 2013-01-25 4:28 AM

mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  4x3 this week - three lifts, three runs, three swims, three spins/bikes
  • Nutrition

This week has been a bit medicore.  3 good runs, 3 good swims, 3 good lifts, and only 1 bike (my strength!, but that bike was a complete monster.  I also finally got my trainer set up, so I've got a lactic acid threshold test set up for tomorrow.  Bring on the pain.  

Also, my road bike has been in the storage room in my apartment building for the last four months.  Bringing it out and setting it up made me remember why I love to ride - it's nothing flashy, just an aluminum GT series 4.0, tiagra/sora groupset, but still, it's a fine bike.

Nutrition was okay this week.

2013-01-26 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Just checking the logs and I am at 18/30 on the challenge.....what does that mean....Doubles for the last 6 days of January.

Don't really want to push my back too hard but I figure if I take it easy it should work out, perhaps might even be able to throw in a triple in there! Full training tri. The transition from the swim to bike will be a little longer because it will involve a drive from the pool to the gym....

Actually as I am writing this an idea is developing...a Run from home to the pool, run from the pool to the gym for a spin bike.... hmmmm

2013-01-26 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
  •  Lose two pounds lost 1.
  • Complete weeks training; came closer this week If I get todays done I will be short one run
  • Lift 3x this week Got two in 
  • log food I did it!
  • Pack my lunch every day Yup!
 If I log all my food & pack my lunch this week I get to have the light serving of Beer batter fish n chips at Great Basin.  We went out to breakfast and with cutting back we didn't go out to dinner.  Sometimes I hate being a grown up!  I did have a Rogue Mocha...it was very good.
2013-01-26 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

Ok I know this week kind of fell apart.  Had some family stuff come up that threw a wrench in the plans, but now I am going to get back to it.  So far this month I am at 20/30 for the challenge, I think I have plenty of time to make it to 30.  I failed most of my plans for the week, so instead of the walk today, I am going for about a 5 mile jog and then tomorrow I will pick up the bike again.  Good news though I finally got the home gym cleaned out and bowflex set up so I can start some strength training and I am going to start the spartacus workout, which I did a couple years ago and it really kicked my butt, so I think that is a good strength training thing to add.  Also, I am down to 210 so about another 2lbs off!  Hope everyone has a great weekend!  

• Monday 60 min Walk and 18 mile bike (if it don't get done today)Cool
  • Tuesday 30 min JogCool
  • Wednesday - Rest (Ice Rescue Training)Cool
  • Thursday - BrickYell
  • Friday - Bike 15 milesYell
  • Saturday - Walk 10 miles change to jog 5 miles!  
  • Sunday - Bike 20 miles
  • Follow nutrition goals!  No Cheating!Yell
  • Get in some strength training for real this week! not yet, but will today and tomorrow!

Oh and btw turkey bacon is AWESOME!  Much better than regular bacon Tongue out

Edited by jlangene 2013-01-26 10:23 AM
2013-01-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4595443

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
justinfss - 2013-01-26 7:46 AM

Trolling some of the other forums and found a pretty funny article about swimming. short easy read too if you have 30 seconds.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/07/training/the-triathlife-whats-the-deal-with-the-old-guy_57052

Funny..not so much the pride but the fear.

2013-01-26 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Month challenge...24/26....I should count the half pallet of 25lb boxes I moved myself at work on Thursday.  I usually take a student worker or two when I need to move publishing boxes but we were a bit short handed Thursday.  The boys were helping, back at the office unload and one asked who I had help me load the car.  His response when I told him I did it myself...He looked me up and down, me with two inch heels by the way, and exclaimed, "Ooooh HEEEEEElllllll Noooo!, Guuuurrrl!"  too funny.  I let the young guns unload everything themselves and went inside laughing and a lil bit proud of my strength.

2013-01-26 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4595578

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

jlangene - 2013-01-26 1:21 AM

Oh and btw turkey bacon is AWESOME!  Much better than regular bacon Tongue out

you cannot be serious! This is like saying that warm Coors Light is better than Guinness!!!

2013-01-26 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4595454

User image

Expert
bobddsmd - 2013-01-26 7:57 AM

I very much agree with Justin! Probably the healthiest breakfast I make is a spinach egg dish. I heat coconut oil, put in as much spinach as the skillet will hold. I am talking a mound of spinach. I cover it and it cooks down to a smaller level. Mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, onions and for me 2 eggs. It is a mound to eat and is very nutrient dense and is not very calorie dense.

This breakfast helped me go from 280 to 205. I was not eating enough veggies and this turned out to be a great way to kick off the day with a lot of them. I will stress again that I use a ton of spinach. 

Bob - I'm gonna tri your spinach idea tomorrow for breakfast. I might need it considering the fact that my wife and I are going out to dinner at our favorite BBQ(ua) place tonight.
2013-01-26 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4595470

User image

Expert
bobddsmd - 2013-01-26 8:11 AM

great swim yesterday. a bit of a breakthrough for me as of late. 1200m endurance continuous swim without zoomers and I felt relaxed and enjoyed it. I had been hating my longer continuous sets lately. Things went through my mind like:why am I doing this, yes triathletes are crazy, will that lifeguard save me if I just stop swimming right now and sink.

I had been using my zoomers (small flippers) a little too much. The drag is that in order to get good form in the pool and not drag your legs you need to go faster. The faster I went the more I struggles with breathing. Zoomers helped that.

The other challenge is that my legs have been a little dead as I ramp up my bike and run. I have kept my run mpw somewhat elevated beyond my training plan to maintain my HM fitness from December but unfortunately it impacts the other workouts. Therefore today instead of doing my long run I did a short run of 6 miles. I love the fact that 6 miles is now a short run. In October 2011 I could not run 1/2 a block, seriously!

I hope everyone has a good weekend.  I had a Shiner Seasonal last night. 

I have a Wells Bombardier English Premium Ale that I have been saving. Made in England. I am going to drink it soon (not this morning) and think of my grandfather who recovered in an English Hospital for a month after being shot in France during WW1. He liked to drink room temp Labatt's Blue. Yikes.

Great job Bob on the swim! Ramping up for a HIM is serious business and you're gonna feel it in all aspects of your training. Good call on listening to your body and cutting short your long run - I've got to get better about that!Loved the comment about six miles having a new meaning for you. Last year after doing a HIM - I was getting pretty nervous on the day of my last race of the season. To try to calm myself - I told myself, "it's only a half marathon." And what was amazing was that I instantly calmed down. For me - that realization of how far I had come was the high light of my season. I hope you took some pride in your own realization. Don't know what impresses me more about your grandfather - the fact he was shot out of the sky or the fact that he was brave enough to drink Labatts at room temp. I guess the war story wins out but just barely.
2013-01-26 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Got my 5 mile jog in, seemed to be painfully slow but I got it done.  Shins feel good so hopefully they stay that way.  Now got to cook some good food so we can watch the UFC fights tonight!  Making some jalapeno poppers with REAL bacon Laughing, yes there are some things turkey bacon can't be used for!  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97