BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-05-09 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
I finally got to take my bike out on the road today. It wasn't a long ride but long enough to test things out. My forearms got tired pretty fast and I moved my elbows onto the pads which helped. Also my the inside of my left shoulder blade started aching. Not sure what this is about. I don't  have this problem when I am in the aerobars on my road bike. Maybe some adjustments need to be made?
Here are some pics of today's ride. We were in Cherry Creek Park which is where numerous tris and other races happen.

Edited by Kath2163 2010-05-09 3:42 PM

(Cherry Creek2.jpg)

(Cherry Creek.jpg)

(Cherry Creek1.jpg)

(Cherry Creek3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Cherry Creek2.jpg (50KB - 10 downloads)
Cherry Creek.jpg (28KB - 8 downloads)
Cherry Creek1.jpg (68KB - 11 downloads)
Cherry Creek3.jpg (36KB - 8 downloads)

2010-05-09 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2847117

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
JoshKaptur - 2010-05-09 1:13 PM

Thanks to those who have asked about my race!  I'm exhausted but had an amazing day, so I hope you'll forgive me if I just copy what I wrote in my log:

Still waiting for the official results to be posted... but the unofficial results printed at the race said my time was 4:55:32!!!!!  I don't have my splits but if that is legit then I am so happy I can't even describe it to you!!!

I had a secret goal that I considered barely possible if everything came together perfectly to go sub 5 (sounds crazy but that would be a 50 minute PR).  When I left the hotel on race morning there were 20mph constant winds with gusts to 30... plus it was HUMID (I sweat a lot).  I went from being nervous to being completely "oh well" and just decided to have fun.  I knew everyone would be b*tching about how choppy the lake was and how hard the bike was going to be and all that.  I love the irony of triathletes who pay thousands of dollars to challenge themselves and suffer and then get all sissified when it's windy or hilly or choppy or hot or whatever.  HTFU people, we're all equally disadvantaged.

I switched my garmin over to HR/time only, and removed my bike computer... something I've been wanting to experiment with for some time but always have big time goals so won't let myself.  With the wind today, I figured what the heck.

So when I felt good I pushed a little harder, and when I felt bad I held back a little more.  I didn't worry about maintaining any paces on the bike or anything... I didn't know what my pace was!  I just road what felt good and backed off if my HR got above 150.  Figured I'd save it for the run.

This was my first race ever racing towards the front of the pack.  I was in the first swim wave.  My swim has really improved recently.  I borrowed Scott-the-dirt-eater's wetsuit and it tested about 10sec faster per 100y in the pool the day before.  I also got passed several minutes into the race by someone from the wave behind me, and determined that I would grab onto his feet and draft him.  I don't know what got into me but I was able to do it and hold on... and it was unbelievable how much faster I was able to go.  I was hurting but it felt so good to be going that fast through the water.  

On the bike I'm used to passing tons of people as a result of my poor swim.  This was different... I probably passed about 10 people on the first lap and I probably got passed by about 20 people.  It was pretty spread out and everyone was cooking along at what felt like a pretty decent pace.  MAN the wind was brutal.  Just brutal.  But I felt good and stuck with my plan.

I was shocked to experience on lap two just how many people among the fasties also make the same mistakes I've seen (and made) in the middle of the pack.  I passed about 30 people in the last 10 miles of the bike.  I remembered some of them BLOWING by me like I was standing still earlier on the bike... now they had obviously blown up and were just hoping it would end... with the wind and the bad pavement showing no mercy... and dreading the fact that they had to run a half marathon afterwards.  I, on the other hand, felt great and was actually looking forward to the run.

I do have my run split... it was 1:38:01... which would have been a stand-alone half marathon PR for me by ~9 minutes.  Again I am so stoked for this.  That even includes forgetting my race belt (I've now done this in 2 races) and having to spend about 40 seconds going back to T2 to retrieve it.  I was passed by 3-4 people on the run, and I passed dozens.  I may have passed a few more than that at the end, but it was impossible to tell because it was a 3 loop course so I was passing hundreds of people by lap 3.  The bottom line is that it was obvious I had paced myself right and saved it for the run, so that despite having a respectable bike time I was just cruising through the hot/humid/windy run while most of the people around me were suffering pretty badly.

4:55:32 was my unofficial finish.  What is so exciting about that is a quick gland to the right will show you my HIM PR from 2008 at Diamondman... a MUCH easier course... was 5:49:45.

Wow, that's a blistering fast time, great job!
2010-05-09 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2847138

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Kath2163 - 2010-05-09 1:27 PM I finally got to take my bike out on the road today. It wasn't a long ride but long enough to test things out. My forearms got tired pretty fast and I moved my elbows onto the pads which helped. Also my the inside of my left shoulder blade started aching. Not sure what this is about. I don't  have this problem when I am in the aerobars on my road bike. Maybe some adjustments need to be made?
Here are some pics of today's ride. We were in Cherry Creek Park which is where numerous tris and other races happen.

Nice pics...and I hope you enjoyed the ride!

About the shoulder, others may have a different opinion, but I would wait awhile and see if your body adjusts to the new position; its impossible to tell without an expert (not me!) looking if it is fit or your body not used to it. 
2010-05-09 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
JoshKaptur - 2010-05-09 2:13 PM

Thanks to those who have asked about my race!  I'm exhausted but had an amazing day, so I hope you'll forgive me if I just copy what I wrote in my log:

Josh, that's absolutely AWESOME!  You definitely nailed that race!  Congrats on a HUGE jump in PR both HIM and half Mary times!  You can definitely claim that run split as your new half mary PR as well.  Two new PRs in one race! WOW.  Now I'm compelled to go sub 5 in my next one in August (or at least the one in September)... which like you, will be a new PR by nearly 40 minutes.

Again, awesome job on that entire race, I can see why you are so stoked... you have all the reasons to be.  That training really paid off. 

2010-05-09 5:33 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I got another good brick workout in today.  Little slower than yesterday, but that's because I stayed back with a friend who's training for his first tri over in Norway where he's from... apparently it's ALL uphill, road bike up, then trail run up.  He had never done a brick, so I got to introduce him to how his legs feel like lead weights for the first two miles.

Ended up doing 44miles out on the Harvest Moon HIM course, a 3:30 transition time and then a 2.6mile run.  He obviously started feeling better around the 2 mile mark during the run because I noticed a decent increase in pace.  He was definitely amazed at just how hard it is to run off the bike and then how all of the sudden you just start feeling good again after a bit.  I love both of those feelings

How did everyone else's weekends go?  Good training sessions? 
2010-05-09 5:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-05-09 5:40 PM

2010-05-09 5:42 PM

2010-05-09 6:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
JoshKaptur - 2010-05-09 1:13 PM

Still waiting for the official results to be posted... but the unofficial results printed at the race said my time was 4:55:32!!!!!  I don't have my splits but if that is legit then I am so happy I can't even describe it to you!!!

I had a secret goal that I considered barely possible if everything came together perfectly to go sub 5 (sounds crazy but that would be a 50 minute PR).  When I left the hotel on race morning there were 20mph constant winds with gusts to 30... plus it was HUMID (I sweat a lot).  I went from being nervous to being completely "oh well" and just decided to have fun.  I knew everyone would be b*tching about how choppy the lake was and how hard the bike was going to be and all that.  I love the irony of triathletes who pay thousands of dollars to challenge themselves and suffer and then get all sissified when it's windy or hilly or choppy or hot or whatever.  HTFU people, we're all equally disadvantaged.

I switched my garmin over to HR/time only, and removed my bike computer... something I've been wanting to experiment with for some time but always have big time goals so won't let myself.  With the wind today, I figured what the heck.

So when I felt good I pushed a little harder, and when I felt bad I held back a little more.  I didn't worry about maintaining any paces on the bike or anything... I didn't know what my pace was!  I just road what felt good and backed off if my HR got above 150.  Figured I'd save it for the run.

This was my first race ever racing towards the front of the pack.  I was in the first swim wave.  My swim has really improved recently.  I borrowed Scott-the-dirt-eater's wetsuit and it tested about 10sec faster per 100y in the pool the day before.  I also got passed several minutes into the race by someone from the wave behind me, and determined that I would grab onto his feet and draft him.  I don't know what got into me but I was able to do it and hold on... and it was unbelievable how much faster I was able to go.  I was hurting but it felt so good to be going that fast through the water.  

On the bike I'm used to passing tons of people as a result of my poor swim.  This was different... I probably passed about 10 people on the first lap and I probably got passed by about 20 people.  It was pretty spread out and everyone was cooking along at what felt like a pretty decent pace.  MAN the wind was brutal.  Just brutal.  But I felt good and stuck with my plan.

I was shocked to experience on lap two just how many people among the fasties also make the same mistakes I've seen (and made) in the middle of the pack.  I passed about 30 people in the last 10 miles of the bike.  I remembered some of them BLOWING by me like I was standing still earlier on the bike... now they had obviously blown up and were just hoping it would end... with the wind and the bad pavement showing no mercy... and dreading the fact that they had to run a half marathon afterwards.  I, on the other hand, felt great and was actually looking forward to the run.

I do have my run split... it was 1:38:01... which would have been a stand-alone half marathon PR for me by ~9 minutes.  Again I am so stoked for this.  That even includes forgetting my race belt (I've now done this in 2 races) and having to spend about 40 seconds going back to T2 to retrieve it.  I was passed by 3-4 people on the run, and I passed dozens.  I may have passed a few more than that at the end, but it was impossible to tell because it was a 3 loop course so I was passing hundreds of people by lap 3.  The bottom line is that it was obvious I had paced myself right and saved it for the run, so that despite having a respectable bike time I was just cruising through the hot/humid/windy run while most of the people around me were suffering pretty badly.

4:55:32 was my unofficial finish.  What is so exciting about that is a quick gland to the right will show you my HIM PR from 2008 at Diamondman... a MUCH easier course... was 5:49:45.

Congrats Josh, sounds like you had an awesome race. PRing both the HIM and the HM run is something to really be proud of! 
2010-05-09 7:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
So I just got back from my longest ride ever in my life - 38 miles. Did a loop with my husband from our house out across the Golden Gate Bridge into the hills in Marin County and back. The forecast called for a chance of showers and we got rained on a bit but the thing we really had to deal with was the wind. It was relentless!

The ride was good but I'm sort of beating myself up now because I am so darn slow. I realize that the route we took was hilly and it was windy and we had a lot of stop lights but I was barely able to average 12 mph. I ride 2-3x a week and my husband only rides a few times a month and he can still smoke me on the bike. I think I'm just frustrated/worried because I want to try to do the bike for my HIM in under 4 hours and unless I get substantially faster between now and then I don't see that happening. I'm going to talk to my coach and see what he says about really trying to work on my biking since it really is what is going to hold me back going into the HIM.

Thanks for listening, sometimes it just feels good to vent about a frustrating day of training.  
2010-05-09 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2847380

Expert
Thornton, CO
calimavs - 2010-05-09 6:06 PM So I just got back from my longest ride ever in my life - 38 miles. Did a loop with my husband from our house out across the Golden Gate Bridge into the hills in Marin County and back. The forecast called for a chance of showers and we got rained on a bit but the thing we really had to deal with was the wind. It was relentless!

The ride was good but I'm sort of beating myself up now because I am so darn slow. I realize that the route we took was hilly and it was windy and we had a lot of stop lights but I was barely able to average 12 mph. I ride 2-3x a week and my husband only rides a few times a month and he can still smoke me on the bike. I think I'm just frustrated/worried because I want to try to do the bike for my HIM in under 4 hours and unless I get substantially faster between now and then I don't see that happening. I'm going to talk to my coach and see what he says about really trying to work on my biking since it really is what is going to hold me back going into the HIM.

Thanks for listening, sometimes it just feels good to vent about a frustrating day of training.  

That's awesome that you have a coach, definitely talk to him about your worries and get a game plan in place that both you and he are confident in and you'll get there.  

I know it's hard, but remember, we can't compare ourselves to others all the time.  It can be frustrating when you feel like you're doing what you should and still can't keep up with someone, but as long as you're training and improving, that's what you should focus on.  There's always going to be someone (or many) that will be naturally faster/better than us.  Few people in the world have the luxury of that not being the case.

I'm sure we can all tell you about someone we train with that is naturally faster than us, but that's a good thing in my opinion.  It helps push you to become better since you have that person to make you go that little bit harder when you think you can't.

2010-05-09 8:24 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

JoshKaptur - 2010-05-09 4:13 PM

Great job Josh exceeding your goals!! That is awesome!  I agree with Fred on your goals for LP!!!

2010-05-09 8:25 PM

Master
Millersville, MD
Kath2163 - 2010-05-09 4:27 PM Also my the inside of my left shoulder blade started aching. Not sure what this is about. I don't  have this problem when I am in the aerobars on my road bike. Maybe some adjustments need to be made?

I agree with the others that you should give it some time to adjust to the new position.  My guess is that the clip on bars on your road bike did not allow you to get in an optimal aerodynamic position.  Now that you are properly fitted on your TT bike, you are in a more forward position and that requires you to lift your head up more than you did previously.  That inside-the-shoulder-blade discomfort is not uncommon when moving to a more aggressive position. 

If you learn to stretch your neck while riding it helps.  Be careful when you do this because it can cause your center of gravity to shift and make you swerve (this goes away with practice), but I do a neck roll (slow, as far as I can) to the left, then to the right, then straight down about once per hour to keep things loosend up on long rides... otherwise I get the same pain.  Try it when you first notice the discomfort during the ride... I bet it helps quite a bit.
2010-05-09 8:26 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-05-09 4:27 PM I finally got to take my bike out on the road today. It wasn't a long ride but long enough to test things out. My forearms got tired pretty fast and I moved my elbows onto the pads which helped. Also my the inside of my left shoulder blade started aching. Not sure what this is about. I don't  have this problem when I am in the aerobars on my road bike. Maybe some adjustments need to be made?

I will agree with the others that it is going to take time to get used to the new position.  Especially if you had not done a lot of time in your aero position before now.  I would be carefull of forcing the time in aero though, build up to it steady but don't over do it.

2010-05-09 8:28 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

calimavs - 2010-05-09 8:06 PM So I just got back from my longest ride ever in my life - 38 miles. Did a loop with my husband from our house out across the Golden Gate Bridge into the hills in Marin County and back. The forecast called for a chance of showers and we got rained on a bit but the thing we really had to deal with was the wind. It was relentless!

I agree that talking with your coach is a good idea, but have faith in the plan.  And if the wind is blowing up north like it is down here in So Cal, then I can understand how your pace is off!  Does it do this all the time? 

2010-05-09 9:15 PM

Master
Dunedin
Great job Josh!!! That's stinking awesome!!

Kathleen, I've had shoulder aches and pains bc of the bike.  Just take it easy as you adjust!  
BTW my husband and I rented bikes and rode through that Cherry Creek park in September. I looooooove Colorado so much!!!!!!!

My training STUNK this weekend, so I'm hoping this week I'll be able to manage most of what was scheduled for my recovery week.   I have a triathlon coming up in about two weeks (holy crap, is the water up here really going to be warm enough to do that?!) and thank goodness it's just an Oly.  I'm wondering if I can scale back on IM training until that race and then try to get back into the swing of things.  

2010-05-09 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2847499

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
kenj - 2010-05-09 6:28 PM

calimavs - 2010-05-09 8:06 PM So I just got back from my longest ride ever in my life - 38 miles. Did a loop with my husband from our house out across the Golden Gate Bridge into the hills in Marin County and back. The forecast called for a chance of showers and we got rained on a bit but the thing we really had to deal with was the wind. It was relentless!

I agree that talking with your coach is a good idea, but have faith in the plan.  And if the wind is blowing up north like it is down here in So Cal, then I can understand how your pace is off!  Does it do this all the time? 

Yeah, I usually average closer to 13-14 mph on my training rides so maybe the wind today was more of a speed drain than I thought.

Appreciate all the support! I do need to keep it in perspective that as long as I am improving compared with my previous performances then that is all that matters. 
2010-05-09 9:36 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
calimavs - 2010-05-09 5:06 PM So I just got back from my longest ride ever in my life - 38 miles. Did a loop with my husband from our house out across the Golden Gate Bridge into the hills in Marin County and back. The forecast called for a chance of showers and we got rained on a bit but the thing we really had to deal with was the wind. It was relentless!

Time heals everything, time on the bike will make you faster.  I have no doubt you'll get there.

Keep your chin up and just work hard.  It used to depress the hell out of me when my friend would pop out a 21 minute 5k with 2 training runs all year and I couldn't even do that off 3 solid months of training.  Some of us just need to put in more time than others to get there.
2010-05-09 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2847499

Master
Redlands, CA
kenj - 2010-05-09 6:28 PM

I'm about 40 miles north of Temecula and yes, its windy most of the time. 
2010-05-09 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2847587

Master
Redlands, CA
WittyCityGirl - 2010-05-09 7:15 PM Great job Josh!!! That's stinking awesome!!

Kathleen, I've had shoulder aches and pains bc of the bike.  Just take it easy as you adjust!  
BTW my husband and I rented bikes and rode through that Cherry Creek park in September. I looooooove Colorado so much!!!!!!!

My training STUNK this weekend, so I'm hoping this week I'll be able to manage most of what was scheduled for my recovery week.   I have a triathlon coming up in about two weeks (holy crap, is the water up here really going to be warm enough to do that?!) and thank goodness it's just an Oly.  I'm wondering if I can scale back on IM training until that race and then try to get back into the swing of things.  

Speaking from experience, I think 10 weeks out you shouldn't compromise your training for a race. 
2010-05-09 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2847626

Expert
Thornton, CO
furiousferret - 2010-05-09 8:36 PM
calimavs - 2010-05-09 5:06 PM So I just got back from my longest ride ever in my life - 38 miles. Did a loop with my husband from our house out across the Golden Gate Bridge into the hills in Marin County and back. The forecast called for a chance of showers and we got rained on a bit but the thing we really had to deal with was the wind. It was relentless!

Time heals everything, time on the bike will make you faster.  I have no doubt you'll get there.

Keep your chin up and just work hard.  It used to depress the hell out of me when my friend would pop out a 21 minute 5k with 2 training runs all year and I couldn't even do that off 3 solid months of training.  Some of us just need to put in more time than others to get there.

Exactly... My last half mary I set a new PR, I started running around June of last year, after my HIM in September I really focused on my running.  New HM PR in November... kept training hard... putting the miles in... hitting 40+mile weeks... Then April comes along.  My friends does a "2 week training plan", which as he puts it: 1 build week, 1 taper week.  He did his longest run EVER the Thursday before the Sunday half mary race, 10 miles.  He gets a 1:37 time, I get 1:36.  Yes I beat him... but it took me half a year to get where he's at after only 2 weeks.  But, I got a new PR and bragging rights... until he completely destroys me in the next one. 

2010-05-09 10:43 PM

Expert
GREAT JOB JOSH!!
2010-05-09 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2847313

Expert
PennState - 2010-05-09 6:40 PM Kathleen, I would also just give it more time. If in a week or 2 you are still uncomfortable then go back for a tweak in your bike fit. Most people find some discomfort when they initially get on a new bike.

Absolutely agree
2010-05-09 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2847622

Expert
calimavs

Yeah, I usually average closer to 13-14 mph on my training rides so maybe the wind today was more of a speed drain than I thought.

Appreciate all the support! I do need to keep it in perspective that as long as I am improving compared with my previous performances then that is all that matters. 

I know when i rode here in Cali yesterday the wind was HORRIBLE! 1 hour 30 out...then 2 hours back. And just try and be proud that you are putting miles/time in the saddle. It will all pay off in the end
2010-05-09 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2847633

Expert
furiousferret - 2010-05-09 10:41 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2010-05-09 7:15 PM Great job Josh!!! That's stinking awesome!!

Speaking from experience, I think 10 weeks out you shouldn't compromise your training for a race. 

I would have to agree with furiousferret. If your major goal is IMLP (which i imagine it is) i would not sacrfice anything for that goal. If it were ME i would stick to my training plan and treat the race as just a training day...not take time off or slow things down for the race...especially only 10 weeks out
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121