General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-04-30 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4720401

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
cornick - 2013-04-30 9:25 AM

BernardDogs - 2013-04-30 8:36 AM So ... I had selected a documentary on the Bee Gees (don't judge) to watch on the trainer this morning. Headed down to the Pain Cave, looked at my schedule and realized I was off by a day and that I only had a recovery run scheduled. Being the obedient pawn to a schedule that I am, I headed back upstairs to get ready for the run. The headlamp hadn't charged and is actually drained, so I figured I could lay down for another half hour and it would probably be light enough to go out without any lights.

Ooops.

So it's just a swim day then.

Oh no! Do a swim/run brick!

Not sure about anyone else buy my brain is becoming consumed on a 24/7 basis for LP.

I'll do one of those today! I'm not so consumed by LP, I am starting to panic over the HIM I have on the 19th. There is a sprint this weekend and I swore I was going to volunteer and man the BBQ but now I've got the itch.

2013-04-30 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4341496

User image

New user
Todd you blew me out by over 6 minutes in Cheshire on Sunday great run.  I may be interested in checking out the course when you head up depending on my schedule then so I'll be in contact when I know. 
2013-04-30 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

Tonight's workout:

Bike: 30' RPE 3/10
Run: 1m @ 8:30
Bike: 30' RPE 6/10
Run: 1m @ 8:00
Bike: 30' RPE 9/10
Run: 1m @ 7:30

Yup.  Anyone want to pick me up after I'm done? 

2013-04-30 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4721092

User image

Pro
cornick - 2013-04-30 3:15 PM

Tonight's workout:

I did similar workout like that last year with the tri coach from my LBS. It was 94 degrees. Except we got slower, not faster. Kudos to you!

I'm about ready to burst. UPS just delivered the new kits for my tri club. They came out great. I've been sweating everything from the artwork to getting them here by Thursday for our happy hour party prior to the first tri of the season this Sunday. Yay Rocket Science Sports!!

2013-04-30 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4721109

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-30 3:21 PM

Tonight's workout:

I did similar workout like that last year with the tri coach from my LBS. It was 94 degrees. Except we got slower, not faster. Kudos to you!

How did you feel at the end?  I'm thinking I'll be trashed from it.  I've never done a brick like this!

2013-04-30 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4721180

User image

Pro
cornick - 2013-04-30 3:53 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-30 3:21 PM

Tonight's workout:

How did you feel at the end?  I'm thinking I'll be trashed from it.  I've never done a brick like this!

Overheated and covered with gnats. It's harder workout than we did because you're increasing tempo. This was done on the MUP by the river, out and back, so the bike was 20 mins but we did 4 sets. We had support and they brought a cooler full of water and a box of donut holes. I remember the donut holes!

Then we had to bike 12 miles back home.

2013-05-01 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4721233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

Oof.  That was rough! Loved every second of it.  More please.

Got an email from my coach after my swim on monday and started off with "Dolphin mode activated".  Haha! Love stuff like that even though I'm not a great swimmer...made me feel like I was.

2013-05-01 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4715861

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
gatjr33 - 2013-04-26 9:09 AM
TankBoy - 2013-04-25 10:59 AM Just my .02, but while there are a handful of exceptions, on virtually every triathlon bike course in the world aero beats weight hands-down, and IMLP is no different. Go as deep as you can lay your hands on. If you have a disk, ride it. If you don't have access to race wheels, get a wheel cover for your rear. and I guess just to add another data point, for the past two years I have raced LP at 155lbs with an 808 front and a 1080 rear with zero issues - I don't remember ever thinking about them. If you are worried abut wind then you might want to go a little shallower in the front, but in my experience the deeper the rear the better in the wind - with a disk being preferred, to me it actually feels like it stabilizes the bike and will actually seem to accelerate into a crossing headwind.

For my purposes if I were to get a new set of wheels I would probably spring for a 404FC front and rear (they are purported to be every bit as fast as the older 808 front I have now) and I would run a wheel builder aerojacket on the rear for tris and TTs. With that setup the 404s would provide a versatile set of wheels that I could also road race on. Would probably switch from tubulars to clinchers as well.

Do you have any basis for comparison (racing wheels versus no racing wheels). I understand the concept of needing to be aero, but it seems that every year this topic comes up. I would be curious if you, or others, have direct comparisons. I am a slow cyclist, but I have always wondered how much time I might be able to trim if I used race wheels. I always come back to the fact that if I want to be faster, I should lose weight and ride more...not get better toys. I always smile at LP, because even though I am slow(er), I always seem to pass someone riding a $5K bike with all the toys. I also seem to get passed from time to time by some riding a 20 year old bike that they bought for $75. Thoughts?

Hey, sorry for not following up earlier! short answer is yes, my personal experience on the same courses and routes ridden lots and lots of times with both race setup and training setup  has pretty much mirrored the kinds of time savings the industry research touts. 

While the time savings that a good set of aero wheels is not insignificant, I agree that there are lots of things that you can do that have a better "return on investment" ($$ per watt, as they say). You are 100% correct there is nothing that has a better ROI than improving the engine. You are passing people on "better" equipment because your engine is better and/or your plan is better executed. People are passing you on "lesser" equipment for the the same reasons. But being more aero will make you faster than you not being aero. Body position is the most significant factor to work on, but probably the one folks work on least. Most things you can do are relatively insignificant by themselves: 2 watts here, 3 watts there. It is in the aggregate in which these things add up to count. 10x2 watt improvements is a lot - ask anybody who has worked a whole season to raise their FTP by 20 watts.

It is counterintuitive, but if you work the math aero actually saves you more overall time the slower you are. the gist is that while the slower rider saves less per second than the faster rider, they are on the course for more seconds so ultimately save more time overall.

As to weight vs. aero, aero wins every time, at least with the kind of equipment and course differences we are talking about. If you are racing a long course TT in such a manner that weight might make some difference (surging on hills, attacking riders around you, making quick accelerations through corners, and sprinting for the dismount line) I might suggest you would be faster riding with a different overall strategy no matter what equipment you roll. It is often a little bit of a red herring in the first place when this conversation comes up re: wheel weight as it is a gross overgeneralization to assume that aero wheels are "heavy" compared to non-aero wheels. Most of us (myself included) train on the wheels that came spec'd on our bikes, often something like a pair of shimano R500s, which probably weigh a good 500+ grams more than a pair of zipp 404s. You are probably looking to spend $800~$1000 for a wheel set that weighs less, and if you want a true "climbing" wheel a little more than that. And then it will be a wheel that is significantly more fragile than a 404.

I agree with you that I would do a whole lot of other little things first before I purchased a pair of aero wheels. But I would definitely go about doing the other things. Many of them are free!

2013-05-01 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4718190

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
manfarr1974 - 2013-04-28 8:46 PM

Anyway, had a great 70 mile ride outside today! It was my 3rd outside ride this year, I hate to jinx myself but I think I'm outside for good now! Still hard to get out in the mornings - was 17 this morning but warmed up to 70 so it makes getting an early start tough. I found today that I have some fit issues in that my neck and shoulders were way fatigued...not sure what was up, it's a new development. Love some advice - maybe re-fit or get a stronger neck? Haha

Hey Mandy - that is a long ride for only the 3rd one of the year outside! If you did not have any issues with the same fit last year I would chalk it up to just having to break yourself back in hours in the aerobars and give it a few more rides before monkeying with my fit.

I want to do a HIM before but haven't found one that fits around the weddings I have to go to in June. Quassy is a great race, wish I could do that. I'm thinking of setting up my own personal HIM...I wan to test my nutrition out. I know not as good as a race but it might be my only option.

Prior to my last two IMs I did a half and honestly found them to be counterproductive to my IM build. If you race them (and how can you not?!?!) the recovery time is way too great (for me, anyway) And if you don't, well then the swim and bike are not long enough and the run is too long (again, for me) to learn anything of real value about IM pacing, nutrition, hydration, etc. From my perspective setting up your own test protocols as you suggest doing is the better route to go. But, HIMs are fun - so do one (or ten!) before IM if it makes the season enjoyable - but if you are only doing one (or ten!) for IM prep then you might find there are other ways that are better for that.

Good luck with the neck!

2013-05-01 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4718812

Regular
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-29 10:48 AM
erincs - 2013-04-29 9:20 AM

jsenc2002 - 2013-04-28 4:26 AM

For those with power meters, how do you actually use them on the course?  Or put another way, what are your best/worst lessons learned?  Thanks!

This is my question as well.  I'm sure my coach will have some thoughts on how she wants me to use it for LP, but just wondering what other people do.

I'm assuming, because of the big descent and the climb back up, that I don't want to be watching avg power....?

I only have an n=1 from last year, but if you are planning to train and race with power you need to stick with the plan. I missed a turn in buoy during the swim, biked at 90-95% FTP for the first hour, and ran like cr*p.

Take a look at the meaning of VI (Variability Index). It basically is a measure of how many power spikes you have. These are what really tires you out. Suppose you want to race IMLP at 65% of your FTP and that works out to 150 watts. You know its going to be zero going down Keene but it's going to be higher on the bears. You want to plan the race so that these transitions are not sharp and you know what power to be used on what part of the course so that your VI stays under 1.05.

That's the theory, I am still figuring out what that means in reality I would think that taken to it's logical conclusion you have to break the course down into segments and figure out what power to use on each segment so that you stay within those constraints.

Thanks, Brian.  Do you use a specific computer on the course, with what data?  It is funny because Friel talks about racing with power as almost cheating, but the implementation has been hard for me to adjust to.  More rides (particularly with hills) will help, hopefully.  Thanks again! JC

BTW, finally got back in the pool today.  It actually felt awesome!

2013-05-02 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4723177

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
TankBoy - 2013-05-01 7:28 PM
manfarr1974 - 2013-04-28 8:46 PM

Hey Mandy - that is a long ride for only the 3rd one of the year outside! If you did not have any issues with the same fit last year I would chalk it up to just having to break yourself back in hours in the aerobars and give it a few more rides before monkeying with my fit.

I want to do a HIM before but haven't found one that fits around the weddings I have to go to in June. Quassy is a great race, wish I could do that. I'm thinking of setting up my own personal HIM...I wan to test my nutrition out. I know not as good as a race but it might be my only option.

Prior to my last two IMs I did a half and honestly found them to be counterproductive to my IM build. If you race them (and how can you not?!?!) the recovery time is way too great (for me, anyway) And if you don't, well then the swim and bike are not long enough and the run is too long (again, for me) to learn anything of real value about IM pacing, nutrition, hydration, etc. From my perspective setting up your own test protocols as you suggest doing is the better route to go. But, HIMs are fun - so do one (or ten!) before IM if it makes the season enjoyable - but if you are only doing one (or ten!) for IM prep then you might find there are other ways that are better for that.

Good luck with the neck!

Thanks Tankboy!  I hope you are right about the fit.

I am going to ride about 80+- this weekend and will see if the neck/shoulders are any better.  Mount Desert Island's loop road is closed to car traffic so a buddy of mine and I are going for a few loops on the park loop road (3 for me anyway, she might only do 1).  Will be nice to ride without worrying about cars!  I am sure it will be loaded with bikes which will be fun.

I haven't had this neck problem before so I hope it is just an adjustment to being outside like you said.  We will see after this weekend.

Also, good thoughts on the HIM.  I always thought it was something you "should" do based on, well, absolutely nothing but what I heard elsewhere.  I think I am going to stick to my schedule and not go for the HIM. 

As long as I can nail my fueling down in training on the longer stuff, I figure I'll be heading in the right direction anyway.  

Speaking of which, fueling is freaking me out.  I can't deal with Perform, I have tried many times, and it is a straight shot to the portapottys for me.  So I am trying Infinit...Amrita bars...I just hate the sweet stuff, so fueling is a struggle for me.  Experimenting again this weekend!

Have a great day!

Mandy

2013-05-02 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4723177

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
TankBoy - 2013-05-01 7:28 PM

This was good to read. I don't have a HIM nearby enough to take the budget hit, so I was thinking about running my own with friends joining me for each segment. I think I'll just train through and not coordinate such a day. I would still need to wait a bit before the lake up here is warm enough. Then I've got my marathon over Memorial Day weekend and then I'd be getting a bit too close to IMLP.

2013-05-02 7:36 AM

User image

New user

Washington, DC

Interesting discussions on aero - I've been a believer that a TT bike is worth it just about all the time if you have one. I just encountered a wheel dilemma myself this week. The PowerTap training wheel I use on my road bike doesn't have clearance on my TT bike, so I have to choose to race and train by HR again with my 808 (I was planning to race with the PT), or to risk the tire rubbing (not inclined). 

So there's that, then this was supposed to be a heavy base week, and of course, after a mild, but rainy long ride on Sunday, I start feeling like arse after my Tuesday morning run, and to boot, the pool has been unexpectedly closed since Monday, so I am at 50 minutes of training for the week!

Still, there's always next week, and I could always go to crank-based power! Maybe the Garmin pedals will see the light of day this year. 

Hope everyone else's week is somewhat less of a trial than mine. No-one ever said IM was easy, right!?

2013-05-02 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4723163

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
TankBoy - 2013-05-01 7:15 PM

gatjr33 - 2013-04-26 9:09 AM
TankBoy - 2013-04-25 10:59 AM Just my .02, but while there are a handful of exceptions, on virtually every triathlon bike course in the world aero beats weight hands-down, and IMLP is no different. Go as deep as you can lay your hands on. If you have a disk, ride it. If you don't have access to race wheels, get a wheel cover for your rear. and I guess just to add another data point, for the past two years I have raced LP at 155lbs with an 808 front and a 1080 rear with zero issues - I don't remember ever thinking about them. If you are worried abut wind then you might want to go a little shallower in the front, but in my experience the deeper the rear the better in the wind - with a disk being preferred, to me it actually feels like it stabilizes the bike and will actually seem to accelerate into a crossing headwind.

For my purposes if I were to get a new set of wheels I would probably spring for a 404FC front and rear (they are purported to be every bit as fast as the older 808 front I have now) and I would run a wheel builder aerojacket on the rear for tris and TTs. With that setup the 404s would provide a versatile set of wheels that I could also road race on. Would probably switch from tubulars to clinchers as well.

Do you have any basis for comparison (racing wheels versus no racing wheels). I understand the concept of needing to be aero, but it seems that every year this topic comes up. I would be curious if you, or others, have direct comparisons. I am a slow cyclist, but I have always wondered how much time I might be able to trim if I used race wheels. I always come back to the fact that if I want to be faster, I should lose weight and ride more...not get better toys. I always smile at LP, because even though I am slow(er), I always seem to pass someone riding a $5K bike with all the toys. I also seem to get passed from time to time by some riding a 20 year old bike that they bought for $75. Thoughts?

Hey, sorry for not following up earlier! short answer is yes, my personal experience on the same courses and routes ridden lots and lots of times with both race setup and training setup  has pretty much mirrored the kinds of time savings the industry research touts. 

While the time savings that a good set of aero wheels is not insignificant, I agree that there are lots of things that you can do that have a better "return on investment" ($$ per watt, as they say). You are 100% correct there is nothing that has a better ROI than improving the engine. You are passing people on "better" equipment because your engine is better and/or your plan is better executed. People are passing you on "lesser" equipment for the the same reasons. But being more aero will make you faster than you not being aero. Body position is the most significant factor to work on, but probably the one folks work on least. Most things you can do are relatively insignificant by themselves: 2 watts here, 3 watts there. It is in the aggregate in which these things add up to count. 10x2 watt improvements is a lot - ask anybody who has worked a whole season to raise their FTP by 20 watts.

It is counterintuitive, but if you work the math aero actually saves you more overall time the slower you are. the gist is that while the slower rider saves less per second than the faster rider, they are on the course for more seconds so ultimately save more time overall.

As to weight vs. aero, aero wins every time, at least with the kind of equipment and course differences we are talking about. If you are racing a long course TT in such a manner that weight might make some difference (surging on hills, attacking riders around you, making quick accelerations through corners, and sprinting for the dismount line) I might suggest you would be faster riding with a different overall strategy no matter what equipment you roll. It is often a little bit of a red herring in the first place when this conversation comes up re: wheel weight as it is a gross overgeneralization to assume that aero wheels are "heavy" compared to non-aero wheels. Most of us (myself included) train on the wheels that came spec'd on our bikes, often something like a pair of shimano R500s, which probably weigh a good 500+ grams more than a pair of zipp 404s. You are probably looking to spend $800~$1000 for a wheel set that weighs less, and if you want a true "climbing" wheel a little more than that. And then it will be a wheel that is significantly more fragile than a 404.

I agree with you that I would do a whole lot of other little things first before I purchased a pair of aero wheels. But I would definitely go about doing the other things. Many of them are free!

I appreciate the response. I thought this is what you might say. Given that I am 6'3" - 220 lbs, I still feel that aero and the weight/power is of the utmost importance for me. I ride on Mavics and I just do not see race wheels weighing slightly less is going to benefit me more than; (1) becoming more aero, (2) building a better engine; or (3) losing a few more pounds. Thanks again for the comments.
2013-05-03 3:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

Went out for a brick last night and got lit up by a hornet.  On a decent going 30+ felt a whack on my left foot.  Next thing I know I can feel something moving around and my foot just starts throbbing! 

Stung me 5 times in about 2 square inches.  Swelled up immediately and was killing me.  Rode back to the car and called it a day...10 miles in.  Ugh.

Still a little swollen this morning and had some cramping issues with it in the pool.  Little bastard! Just need it to be better for tomorrow's 80 miler!

2013-05-03 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Took it easy the past two days instead of scheduled workouts.  Really haven't missed a workout since 1st of year...and I think it was all catching up (also had a BIG training day last weekend).  Went with an easy swim yesterday and an easy run today.  Wow...what a difference.  Should be ready to crank it up again tomorrow.  Hope everyone's training is going well...

2013-05-03 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4723563

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
ppannett - 2013-05-02 7:36 AM

Still, there's always next week, and I could always go to crank-based power! Maybe the Garmin pedals will see the light of day this year. 

The new Power2Max FSA crank was just released at $1150 for a crank based system.  Can't beat that!

2013-05-03 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

I am tentatively back to running since last week, after being on and off (but mostly off) since late February.  Panic is setting in, since I don't have a solid run background to fall back on.

I'm going to enjoy my 3-hour zone 1-2 ride tomorrow as I finish up my recovery week this weekend.  Then I'm sure my coach will be piling it on.  She didn't give my 7 extra hours of free time this week for nothing!  This was my easiest recovery week yet, which kind of scares me for next week.

2013-05-05 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I'm friends with a few of you on FB, so this will be a repeat of what I posted there. Had a de-motivating ride yesterday. I know it's just one training ride and, granted, it had a lot of climb (but so does IMLP), but I had really hoped to see better numbers. This is the App Gap ride, so it's up a pass through the Green Mountains. I'm a terrible climber. Here's the data:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/307659821

Still feeling pretty beat up, so we'll see what today's long run turns into. Had planned for 23 as my last long run prior to the Vermont City Marathon. I'm just going to take it nice and easy and hope to get in at least 20. Find my long slow running zone and hopefully clear my head.

Thinking about getting realistic with a 7 hour goal for the bike at IMLP. I had hoped to be in the 6:30 neighborhood, but I really don't want to sabotage my run, which will still be my strong leg. Anyway ... I appreciate the space to lick my wounds. Onward!

FWIW, I did get some nice, sharp cycling tan lines:

2013-05-06 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
nice tan!!
2013-05-06 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

I got a tan like that on Saturday too.  I also got my arms, from the bottom of my sleeves, to my wrists (had gloves on).  It looks mighty ridiculous when I put on a t-shirt with shorter sleeves than my bike jersey.

Sorry about the rough ride.  Keep in mind, they happen.  Hopefully the next one will be better.

I'm just coming off a recovery week, so I had a nice easy 10h30m week last week.  I had so much free time, I think that was my lightest recovery week so far.

2013-05-07 9:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Did a small sprint tri Sunday with my father (his first) and my 6yr old son doing a kids tri (his first). 3 generations of Cornick boys doing a tri in the same day. Proud moment.

(web.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
web.jpg (81KB - 27 downloads)
2013-05-07 11:27 AM

That is so awesome all of you racing together .l have been very lucky oldest son hasbeen racing sense he has been 6 years too and this year he is doing his first Ironman along with my wife.this will be there first l will be racing myself trying to finish my 8th Ironman see you in Lake Placid.
2013-05-07 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4723375

User image

Pro
jsenc2002 - 2013-05-01 10:53 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-29 10:48 AM
erincs - 2013-04-29 9:20 AM

jsenc2002 - 2013-04-28 4:26 AM

For those with power meters, how do you actually use them on the course?  Or put another way, what are your best/worst lessons learned?  Thanks!

This is my question as well.  I'm sure my coach will have some thoughts on how she wants me to use it for LP, but just wondering what other people do.

I'm assuming, because of the big descent and the climb back up, that I don't want to be watching avg power....?

I only have an n=1 from last year, but if you are planning to train and race with power you need to stick with the plan. I missed a turn in buoy during the swim, biked at 90-95% FTP for the first hour, and ran like cr*p.

Take a look at the meaning of VI (Variability Index). It basically is a measure of how many power spikes you have. These are what really tires you out. Suppose you want to race IMLP at 65% of your FTP and that works out to 150 watts. You know its going to be zero going down Keene but it's going to be higher on the bears. You want to plan the race so that these transitions are not sharp and you know what power to be used on what part of the course so that your VI stays under 1.05.

That's the theory, I am still figuring out what that means in reality I would think that taken to it's logical conclusion you have to break the course down into segments and figure out what power to use on each segment so that you stay within those constraints.

Thanks, Brian.  Do you use a specific computer on the course, with what data?  It is funny because Friel talks about racing with power as almost cheating, but the implementation has been hard for me to adjust to.  More rides (particularly with hills) will help, hopefully.  Thanks again! JC

BTW, finally got back in the pool today.  It actually felt awesome!

I have a Garmin 800.I plan on mapping out the course during a training run and figuring out power numbers to try and keep to the overall plan. I do have last year's ride data too.

My training took a huge hit after Boston, I was just completely demotivated and hurting, and got stuck in a rut. I've biked, but that's really it. Sunday I went to a triathlon with my club and I think I'm back on course. Biked yesterday, had a great swim and bike today.

2013-05-07 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4732357

Regular

I have a Garmin 800.I plan on mapping out the course during a training run and figuring out power numbers to try and keep to the overall plan. I do have last year's ride data too.

My training took a huge hit after Boston, I was just completely demotivated and hurting, and got stuck in a rut. I've biked, but that's really it. Sunday I went to a triathlon with my club and I think I'm back on course. Biked yesterday, had a great swim and bike today.

I am leaning towards the Garmin 500...

I hear you on the rut; I had a bad three week run.  Just didn't feel good.  Not sure if allergies, not enough food, training, whatever.  I have seemed to put that behind me, and am now pushing it again. Even swimming, and happy with swim fitness, which I will take.  My big concern is getting some saddle time in the hills, to prep for the Quassy bike.  

Keep plugging along; only about 81 days to IMLP!

As Dory would say in Finding Nemo:  "Just keep swimming!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA

JC

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59