BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-01-26 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

Bobby - Very nice work in the pool.  I keep looking at that egg and coconut oil.  I need to try that it sounds awesome.

I have a knee pain related question.  I haven't ran since last Saturday but my knee is killing me! If I touch the area it is fine but if I tap at the area or try to do a jumping type movement it hurts.  My schedule starts back up tomorrow and it's a run day.  Is it a bad idea if I go at it slow and see if it works itself out?  It kind of feels like when I started running again but would be gone by my next run.  I would say kind of like a tennis elbow and after ice I was fine.  

I said the nausea was gone then back then gone...well it appears to be only late in the day now so I need to get my workout and meals in before sundown.  I am guessing this means it is almost gone for good.

2013-01-26 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

So, I got bored this afternoon, so I decided to play with my new trainer and Trainerroad.

I should have done this months ago.  Also, the 20min lactic threshold test is no fun.  I think my quads are going on strike tomorrow.

2013-01-26 4:10 PM

User image

Expert

This afternoon while riding the drainer - I typed a marathon email that got erased before I had a chance to post it.  Let's see how much I remember.

Jared and Justin - I love the fact that you are rededicating yourselves to meeting the 30/31 challenge.  That is hard core and your drive and dedication is awesome.  Just be careful not to push it too hard in order to reach your goal or else you might start off February on the injured reserve list.  Feel free to count things like yoga or an extra long stretching session as one of your workouts.

Cynthia - Way to show those young guys a thing or two.  I bet they called you Ma'am for the rest of the day..

Here's a cool story... A few days ago, I posted on one of the forums that I was having trouble with my prostate.  On Wednesday - a guy on BT sent me a note offering to sell his Adamo road saddle, which was the same one that my doctor suggested.  I liked the saddle but was worried about sending $90 to a guy I didn't know (and a Pittsburg Steelers fan to boot!).  So I sent him an email asking how we would make the exchange and get this: He offered to send me the saddle and let me try it out for a month.  If I didn't like it - I could send it back free of charge or I could keep it and send him a check.  How cool is that?

Finally - I'm proud to say I lost 3 pounds last week - leaving me with 10 pounds to go until I reach my ultimate goal of 165.  I'm psyched.  With that said, I know there are a lot of you trying to lose some weight this year.  So my question is - how can I support  and help you achieve your goals? BT and its members have been and continue to be a huge part of my success so far, and I've got a debt I want to repay.  So let me know how I can help.

2013-01-26 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4595738

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Qua17 - 2013-01-26 1:41 PM
bobddsmd - 2013-01-26 8:11 AM

great swim yesterday. a bit of a breakthrough for me as of late. 1200m endurance continuous swim without zoomers and I felt relaxed and enjoyed it. I had been hating my longer continuous sets lately. Things went through my mind like:why am I doing this, yes triathletes are crazy, will that lifeguard save me if I just stop swimming right now and sink.

I had been using my zoomers (small flippers) a little too much. The drag is that in order to get good form in the pool and not drag your legs you need to go faster. The faster I went the more I struggles with breathing. Zoomers helped that.

The other challenge is that my legs have been a little dead as I ramp up my bike and run. I have kept my run mpw somewhat elevated beyond my training plan to maintain my HM fitness from December but unfortunately it impacts the other workouts. Therefore today instead of doing my long run I did a short run of 6 miles. I love the fact that 6 miles is now a short run. In October 2011 I could not run 1/2 a block, seriously!

I hope everyone has a good weekend.  I had a Shiner Seasonal last night. 

I have a Wells Bombardier English Premium Ale that I have been saving. Made in England. I am going to drink it soon (not this morning) and think of my grandfather who recovered in an English Hospital for a month after being shot in France during WW1. He liked to drink room temp Labatt's Blue. Yikes.

Great job Bob on the swim! Ramping up for a HIM is serious business and you're gonna feel it in all aspects of your training. Good call on listening to your body and cutting short your long run - I've got to get better about that!Loved the comment about six miles having a new meaning for you. Last year after doing a HIM - I was getting pretty nervous on the day of my last race of the season. To try to calm myself - I told myself, "it's only a half marathon." And what was amazing was that I instantly calmed down. For me - that realization of how far I had come was the high light of my season. I hope you took some pride in your own realization. Don't know what impresses me more about your grandfather - the fact he was shot out of the sky or the fact that he was brave enough to drink Labatts at room temp. I guess the war story wins out but just barely.

That is all great! I know I will be looking for calming advice in about 2 months! I also have a HM in one month that I am not really worried about as my plan is to train through it, including a 56 mile bike the day before. Yikes. Well, that is at least what my training plan calls for so it seemed like a good idea. I am pretty good about going slow and pacing myself. One of my best attributes.Foot in mouth Slow and easy wins the race.......well not exactly but it gets me across the finish with a smile on my face.....well maybe not a smile...you get the picture

Edited by bobddsmd 2013-01-26 4:48 PM
2013-01-26 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4595875

User image

Veteran
Dallas
mirthfuldragon - 2013-01-26 3:56 PM

So, I got bored this afternoon, so I decided to play with my new trainer and Trainerroad.

I should have done this months ago.  Also, the 20min lactic threshold test is no fun.  I think my quads are going on strike tomorrow.

I have 100% felt your pain!!!!!

These workouts and FTP tests are not fun. I think it gets easier. I have gotten more comfortable and I use the workout selection guide on the website to get my workouts. I am actually surprised how "bad" I am at some of these giving I thought I was killing my spin classes. I found in my last workout that I needed to decrease the intensity (bottom left arrows) to decrease the power level to shoot for.

If it does not kill us it will make us stronger. And I love watching Netflix at the same time.

2013-01-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4595470

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
bobddsmd - 2013-01-26 8:11 AM

great swim yesterday. a bit of a breakthrough for me as of late. 1200m endurance continuous swim without zoomers and I felt relaxed and enjoyed it. I had been hating my longer continuous sets lately. Things went through my mind like:why am I doing this, yes triathletes are crazy, will that lifeguard save me if I just stop swimming right now and sink.

I had been using my zoomers (small flippers) a little too much. The drag is that in order to get good form in the pool and not drag your legs you need to go faster. The faster I went the more I struggles with breathing. Zoomers helped that.

The other challenge is that my legs have been a little dead as I ramp up my bike and run. I have kept my run mpw somewhat elevated beyond my training plan to maintain my HM fitness from December but unfortunately it impacts the other workouts. Therefore today instead of doing my long run I did a short run of 6 miles. I love the fact that 6 miles is now a short run. In October 2011 I could not run 1/2 a block, seriously!

I hope everyone has a good weekend.  I had a Shiner Seasonal last night. 

I have a Wells Bombardier English Premium Ale that I have been saving. Made in England. I am going to drink it soon (not this morning) and think of my grandfather who recovered in an English Hospital for a month after being shot in France during WW1. He liked to drink room temp Labatt's Blue. Yikes.

Hey Bobby have you checked your head position while swimming?  Your legs should not sink no matter how fast you are going...trust me i am really slow but my legs do not sink when my position is correct.  I will find the link but if you are familiar with Total Immersion swimming there are drills for head placement.  Basically, practice relaxing and make sure you are looking at the bottom of the pool. Here is one link:http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/08/13/total-immersion-how-i-learned-to-swim-effortlessly-in-10-days-and-you-can-too/ 

2013-01-26 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4595866

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Burd - 2013-01-26 3:41 PM

Bobby - Very nice work in the pool.  I keep looking at that egg and coconut oil.  I need to try that it sounds awesome.

I have a knee pain related question.  I haven't ran since last Saturday but my knee is killing me! If I touch the area it is fine but if I tap at the area or try to do a jumping type movement it hurts.  My schedule starts back up tomorrow and it's a run day.  Is it a bad idea if I go at it slow and see if it works itself out?  It kind of feels like when I started running again but would be gone by my next run.  I would say kind of like a tennis elbow and after ice I was fine.  

I said the nausea was gone then back then gone...well it appears to be only late in the day now so I need to get my workout and meals in before sundown.  I am guessing this means it is almost gone for good.

I would be careful with your knee and would not run if swollen, red or painful moving it through range of motions. I would suggest swim or walk. It should be slowly getting better if it is the result of your race. 

I used to use high dose advil or Naproxen all the time. Now I don't but this sounds like a few days of anti-inflamatory meds make sense. I am also a big believer in good Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) and sticking to a very rigid anti-inflamatory diet when an injury like this happens (no processed foods including sugar). I think it makes a big difference.

2013-01-26 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4595883

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Qua17 - 2013-01-26 7:10 AM

This afternoon while riding the drainer - I typed a marathon email that got erased before I had a chance to post it.  Let's see how much I remember.

Jared and Justin - I love the fact that you are rededicating yourselves to meeting the 30/31 challenge.  That is hard core and your drive and dedication is awesome.  Just be careful not to push it too hard in order to reach your goal or else you might start off February on the injured reserve list.  Feel free to count things like yoga or an extra long stretching session as one of your workouts.

Cynthia - Way to show those young guys a thing or two.  I bet they called you Ma'am for the rest of the day..

Here's a cool story... A few days ago, I posted on one of the forums that I was having trouble with my prostate.  On Wednesday - a guy on BT sent me a note offering to sell his Adamo road saddle, which was the same one that my doctor suggested.  I liked the saddle but was worried about sending $90 to a guy I didn't know (and a Pittsburg Steelers fan to boot!).  So I sent him an email asking how we would make the exchange and get this: He offered to send me the saddle and let me try it out for a month.  If I didn't like it - I could send it back free of charge or I could keep it and send him a check.  How cool is that?

Finally - I'm proud to say I lost 3 pounds last week - leaving me with 10 pounds to go until I reach my ultimate goal of 165.  I'm psyched.  With that said, I know there are a lot of you trying to lose some weight this year.  So my question is - how can I support  and help you achieve your goals? BT and its members have been and continue to be a huge part of my success so far, and I've got a debt I want to repay.  So let me know how I can help.

Thanks for the constant support DQ, you have already helped me lots, I am a little stalled out on the weight loss but I am not going back up on my normal yo-yo. I feel like it is time to incorporate some calorie counting along with the mainly paleo diet. Feb 1st I am planning on going back on the good stuff (BEER) but I want to earn my suds by burning more calories in a workout for every beverage I consume. 

I am still hoping to come close to completing the challenge, without over doing it and getting injured again. I even finally yoga'd (is that the verb? Wink)  today! and it felt glorious!!!

Super cool story about the bike saddle! that goes to show the community spirit not only on BT, but really the goodness in people. It is hard sometimes to see out there, with all the bad news coming in, but I truly believe that there is still a lot of good people out there.

Edited by justinfss 2013-01-26 6:11 PM
2013-01-26 6:28 PM

User image

This week

4 out of 5 workouts

I ate better - lost 2 lbs

did not make it under 230 but closer

I need to stretch more. On my running days I have to do some yoga or the P90x stretching after.

2013-01-26 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4595883

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Qua17 - 2013-01-26 4:10 PM

Most of the time i am saying, "What is wrong with people?" but I love the stories of the good of the human spirit! Thanks for sharing.  

2013-01-26 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4595963

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

So I just watched a documentary called Fork Over Knife that explained the studies done in China and the difference a plant based diet has made in the lives  of people.  So I am rethinking my food choices.  I already eat better than I ever had but I guess I saw this documentary at the right time.  I raise sheep so I will never be a vegetarian and I have increased veggies on my plate but there is so much more I can do.  I like my egg white breakfast and like Erkle, (google it), I like cheese!  So Justin, tell me about you new diet.

After I eat my single serving of ice cream.

2013-01-26 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I also am restarting my plan from the beginning.  I have not picked a HIM for this year so I am not on a timeline.  I was just coming back and feel much stronger and want to make sure I have a great base. Does any of this make sense?
2013-01-26 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

A friend posted this on Facebook and I liked it so thought I would share it here.  

2013-01-27 5:53 AM
in reply to: #4595975

User image

Expert
Yakhead - 2013-01-26 6:28 PM

This week

4 out of 5 workouts

I ate better - lost 2 lbs

did not make it under 230 but closer

I need to stretch more. On my running days I have to do some yoga or the P90x stretching after.

Ian - Kudos to you for the good week.  You will be in the 220's before you know it.

Stretching is a necessity for me.  Each month, I spend about 10+ hours just stretching.  I can't afford not to do it - otherwise, I'm just an injury waiting to happen.  Here is a stretching routine that I like (you'll see why) and it will give you some good ideas on what to add to a stretching routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCg2UDQQPLI

2013-01-27 7:27 AM

User image

Expert

Happy Sunday Everyone!

Y'all (as our transplanted Canadian in Texas might say) are doing awesome.  You are working out consistently, overcoming sickness and injuries, and some of you have even begun to taste the fruits of your labors - YEA ALEX!  Keep it up!

As we head into our third month of working together, let's rededicate ourselves to supporting each other. If at all possible, try to check in daily, and make it a goal to post one note to the forum answering a question or to cheer someone on each day.  Also try to write an inspire for one person who deserves some props or who needs a little help to make it through a tough patch.  Finally - post one thing about yourself each day - a workout you're proud of, a question you have, or help that you need.  Let's all work together to help everyone succeed.

Time to post those weekly goals.  Be sure to start by creating goals for the month first.  Then use your weekly goals to get you there.  Set goals that challenge you but that you know you can achieve.  You don't want to be the one drinking the warm coors lightLaughing!  

Good luck this week!

2013-01-27 7:27 AM

User image

Expert

Happy Sunday Everyone!

Y'all (as our transplanted Canadian in Texas might say) are doing awesome.  You are working out consistently, overcoming sickness and injuries, and some of you have even begun to taste the fruits of your labors - YEA ALEX!  Keep it up!

As we head into our third month of working together, let's rededicate ourselves to supporting each other. If at all possible, try to check in daily, and make it a goal to post one note to the forum answering a question or to cheer someone on each day.  Also try to write an inspire for one person who deserves some props or who needs a little help to make it through a tough patch.  Finally - post one thing about yourself each day - a workout you're proud of, a question you have, or help that you need.  Let's all work together to help everyone succeed.

Time to post those weekly goals.  Be sure to start by creating goals for the month first.  Then use your weekly goals to get you there.  Set goals that challenge you but that you know you can achieve.  You don't want to be the one drinking the warm coors lightLaughing!  

Good luck this week!

2013-01-27 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin  
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared   
mirthfuldragon Charles   
Burd Alex   
Yakhead  Ian  
 bobddsmd  Bobby  
 Cassady Doug  
 lp3510 Lenny  
 justinfss Justin  
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth  
mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Lose 1 Pound and log food each day
  • Start 100 Pushup challenge and get kids involved
  • Complete Week Three of Sprint Plan
  • Achieve the 30 in 31 goal
  • Yoga 2x, Ice 5x, Stretch 2hours
  • Support Fellow BTers
  • Not sure at this point. 
2013-01-27 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Here is a picture from the run last evening, with my trusty running partner....some added motivation for you folks down south who maybe sometimes dont want to head out the door, it could be worse you could be running in snow and -20C temperatures!

It was a great run though

(runsmall.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
runsmall.JPG (33KB - 7 downloads)
2013-01-27 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4596078

User image

Connecticut
SportzVision - 2013-01-26 9:22 PM
Qua17 - 2013-01-26 4:10 PM

Most of the time i am saying, "What is wrong with people?" but I love the stories of the good of the human spirit! Thanks for sharing.  

agreed what a story to start the week off with. its one of those pay it forward moments

2013-01-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4596321

User image

Connecticut
Qua17 - 2013-01-27 8:30 AM

kevinbe

Kevin  
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared   
mirthfuldragon Charles   
Burd Alex   
Yakhead  Ian  
 bobddsmd  Bobby  
 Cassady Doug  
 lp3510 Lenny
  • Complete week 2 of the 0-1650 (swim 3x)
  • Lose 1-2 pounds with exercise and food tracking
  • Start pushup challenge (great app)
  • Run 3x (1-2 miles per run)
  • Bike at least 1 day (5-10mi at the gym)
  • Finally find the right rd bike for the spring

justinfss Justin  
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth  
mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Support Fellow BTers

Edited by lp3510 2013-01-27 10:26 AM
2013-01-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4596473

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
lp3510 - 2013-01-27 9:25 AM

kevinbe

Kevin  
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared 
  •  Monday Bowflex morning 60 min walk evening
  • Tuesday Spartacus morning 30 min jog evening
  • Wednesday - Bowflex morning 15 mile bike evening
  • Thursday - Spartacus morning brick evening
  • Friday - Bowflex morning Jog 60 min evening
  • Saturday - Walk 10 miles
  • Sunday - Spartacus morning Bike 20 miles evening
  • Drop below 210

mirthfuldragon Charles   
Burd Alex   
Yakhead  Ian  
 bobddsmd  Bobby  
 Cassady Doug  
 lp3510 Lenny

justinfss Justin  
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth  
mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Support Fellow BTers

2013-01-27 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Justin you may not believe me but I would rather be in that picture than this blasted heat in the summer!  I honestly do miss the snow and cold.  
2013-01-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4596484

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
jlangene - 2013-01-27 11:34 AM

kevinbe

Kevin  
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared 
  • Drop below 210

mirthfuldragon Charles   
Burd Alex 
  • Find adult swim lessons or a swim coach
  • 3x str workout
  • Continue eating right
  • If knee is up to it start runs again

Yakhead  Ian  
 bobddsmd  Bobby  
 Cassady Doug  
 lp3510 Lenny

justinfss Justin  
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth  
mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Support Fellow BTers
2013-01-27 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4596567

User image

Veteran
Illinois

kevinbe

Kevin  
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared 
  • Drop below 210

mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  No excuses on the swims - 2k yards apiece minimum, three swims.
  • Play more with my new bike trainer.  3 bikes
  • Two good runs of at least 10k, even if I only get two runs in.
  • Keep up the lifting.  5 weeks to go.

Meet goals = 2

Kirin's at dinner on Friday

Miss goals:  No Kirin's

Burd Alex 
  • 3x str workout
  • Continue eating right

Yakhead  Ian  
 bobddsmd  Bobby  
 Cassady Doug  
 lp3510 Lenny

justinfss Justin  
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth  
mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Support Fellow BTers

2013-01-27 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4596567

User image

Burd - 2013-01-27 12:01 PM
jlangene - 2013-01-27 11:34 AM

kevinbe

Kevin  
 thor67 Thor  
 SportzVision Cynthia  
 Wiff Kim  
 jlangeneJared 
  • Drop below 210

mirthfuldragon Charles   
Burd Alex 
  • 3x str workout
  • Continue eating right

Yakhead  Ian
  •  work out 5 times this week
  • stretch routine 
  • eat paleo
  • finally get under 230
 Ice cream
 bobddsmd  Bobby  
 Cassady Doug  
 lp3510 Lenny

justinfss Justin  
 firefighter Taj  
 snarky Elizabeth  
mcmanusclan5Matt   
DBrew99 Dan  
BigDH Darren/DH  
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Support Fellow BTers
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97