BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-03-14 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Weekly Goal Sheet 3/9
Originally posted by kevinbe

kevin-lose 2 lbs., workout 30 min. 5x
I'm up a 1/2 pound as of this morning. Have to do work this weekend to lose the 2 lb. I have 4out of 5 workouts in with #5 planned for tomorrow, and possibly 6 on Sunday.

Edited by kevinbe 2014-03-14 9:33 AM

2014-03-14 12:41 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Back after a couple days out of town for a business conference. I managed to get a couple 30 minute runs on the treadmill in the hotel's fitness center but nothing close to my usual workout load. Add some rich meals and more than a few drinks and I think I put on a couple pounds. Looking forward to getting back in motion!

Sadly the beer selection was not that great, nothing new tried however I did enjoy some Arrogant Bastard on tap.

2014-03-16 7:33 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
3 weeks of training complete and I've completed every scheduled workout. Yesterday I did 1:40 on the bike and then did a 5km race in which I got a PB of 23:40. Feeling sore today but I've got a recovery week coming up before I head into the first 'base' period of training. IM training is going great so far.

Edited by adempsey10 2014-03-16 10:07 AM
2014-03-16 7:33 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Arrogant Bastard on tap is some good stuff. Don't worry about the light week - think of it as Spring Break for your body. Now you're rested, well-fed and ready to go.

Also - thanks for not posting anymore pictures - that would have been cruel!
2014-03-16 7:35 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

3 weeks of training complete and I've completed every scheduled workout. Yesterday I did 1:40 on the bike and then did a 5km race in which I got a PB of 23:40. Feeling sore today but I've got a recovery week coming up before I head into the first 'base' period of training. IM training is going great so far.

Well done Alan! To score a PR in the 5k after a nearly two hour bike ride is amazing and bodes well for you as you move into your base period. Keep it up and enjoy that rest week!

What IM are you doing?
2014-03-16 7:43 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
I had a decent training week which I finished up yesterday with an hour long bike ride on the drainer. Even though it wasn't technically a rest week - I dropped bike and two swims off my schedule to try to let my aches heal. I know I need to do more and hopefully I'll be able to build up some milage after a rest week which is coming up.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this but some recent showeling had messed up my shoulder. When I went to my massage therapist, she thought that my rotator cuff wasn't town but that the muscles weren't in the right grove and that they were over extended (not sure what it means - but it hurt). The thinks he got it back in place and the reduction in pain makes me think she is on the right track. I'm gonna get my 2nd swim of the week in. Last wed. I managed to swim a nearly pain free 500. I'm shooting for 750 today. Let's hope the post swim ache/pain is gone.

Last night I enjoyed wings and beer at my favorite restaurant - BW3's. I managed to keep my calories in the green for the day but I still enjoyed two new castle browns on tap. That is one beer that tastes so much better on draft.

GOod luck getting those goals done today. Hope everyone has a great week!

2014-03-16 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
BDAAS Weekly Goal Sheet for the week of 3/17/2014

DQ - 1) Track every bite, lose 2 pounds and fit into another pair of pants, 2) MRI on hip 3) Average 40 minutes+ per day of PT 4) Pay for spindles and pedals and look into buying new heart rate monitor 5) Ice like its my job to make the most of my rest week so I can hit it hard next week
2014-03-16 9:39 AM

User image

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I picked up my race packet for the marathon yesterday and gave my paid parking spot to the woman behind me in line who didn't have one. The weather was suppose to be cold and rainy so that made me feel better, but today is cool and nice. Oh well..... off to the pool for swim speed
2014-03-16 10:07 AM

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Well done Alan! To score a PR in the 5k after a nearly two hour bike ride is amazing and bodes well for you as you move into your base period. Keep it up and enjoy that rest week!

What IM are you doing?

Same as you! Mont-Tremblant!
2014-03-16 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Here's an update:

I just got back from my first run (more of a jog ) since shutting it down on December 1. I did 3.07 miles at an 8:45/mi pace. I couldn't feel any calf pain, but it did feel a little stiff. This is a good sign moving forward.

On a side note, with all the stride talk of late, I looked at my foot strike, and it looks like I strike mid foot. I did notice that my feet are angled towards the outside 1/2 on both feet when they strike. I counted a 161, 163, and 166 tempo, increasing with increased pace.

IM CDA in 2015, here I come!!!!!

My Profile pic is of my wife and I after my last race in July of 2012. Looking forward to my next one.
2014-03-16 2:59 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Great Sunday weather for a run - 13k @5.25 after 10k run @5 yesterday, and I could notice my stiff legs.
I would like to ask you for some advice: what is your toughest discipline? I am getting ready for a half marathon first week of April on the north coast of Spain (www.vig-bay.com), so I am sacrificing biking or swimming for running sessions. Is this right? Should I forget and keep my Olympic training for June/July program? In fact, I am only doing indoor spinning, which is very different from real cycling, as Dave mentioned this week. Any suggestions? Thnks!

2014-03-16 2:59 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Edited by Juancho 2014-03-16 3:01 PM
2014-03-16 3:17 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Juancho

Great Sunday weather for a run - 13k @5.25 after 10k run @5 yesterday, and I could notice my stiff legs.
I would like to ask you for some advice: what is your toughest discipline? I am getting ready for a half marathon first week of April on the north coast of Spain (www.vig-bay.com), so I am sacrificing biking or swimming for running sessions. Is this right? Should I forget and keep my Olympic training for June/July program? In fact, I am only doing indoor spinning, which is very different from real cycling, as Dave mentioned this week. Any suggestions? Thnks!
Here's my .02 from my situation. I trained to PR a marathon while training to do my first tri, a 70.3 distance. The marathon was at end of May, and the HIM distance was beginning of July. I followed my HIM plan, but when it had running days, or run workouts, I substituted the run in the HIM plan and went with the run in my marathon plan. I also sometimes sacrificed a swim for a run if I needed to air on the side of caution, I always went with the run. My priorities were 1. run. 2. bike. 3. swim. I trained all 3 seriously, but prioritized in that order. I pr'd my marathon and crushed my HIM distance. The run fitness definitely translates to overall endurance fitness.

Hope that helps. And wish you well however you do it. It's a fun dilemma to have.
2014-03-16 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Did my first 5k race in since September and I do believe it was a PB.
2014-03-16 3:26 PM

User image

Cycling benefits running but running has no benefit for cycling (too much running can even hinder cycling performance). Something to consider if you are planning on doing longer Triathlons after the run.
2014-03-16 4:50 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by SportzVision

Did my first 5k race in since September and I do believe it was a PB.
Way to go Cynthia. Good to see you back at it!

2014-03-16 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

DQ - 1) Track every bite, lose 2 pounds and fit into another pair of pants, 2) MRI on hip 3) Average 40 minutes+ per day of PT 4) Pay for spindles and pedals and look into buying new heart rate monitor 5) Ice like its my job to make the most of my rest week so I can hit it hard next week

Kevin- 1) 5 Tee Major HIIT workouts. 2) run 2x this week (Thursday or Friday, then again on Sunday) 2-3 miles ea. 3) Lose 2 lbs.
2014-03-16 5:11 PM

User image

Expert

What IM are you doing?

Same as you! Mont-Tremblant!

That's awesome! I had totally forgotten that! We shall share a beer at the finish line!
2014-03-16 5:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Kevin- 1) 5 Tee Major HIIT workouts. 2) run 2x this week (Thursday or Friday, then again on Sunday) 2-3 miles ea. 3) Lose 2 lbs.

Charles: 1) Nutrition. 2) Follow the plan. 3) Nutrition.
2014-03-16 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Cycling benefits running but running has no benefit for cycling (too much running can even hinder cycling performance). Something to consider if you are planning on doing longer Triathlons after the run.

I'm not certain on this issue. The only real study I could find suggests there is a link: http://running.competitor.com/2013/06/training/sports-science-updat... . N=1, and an elite-level athlete at that, but still a scientific result. Even beyond that, any build of the aerobic engine is going to be beneficial, regardless of source. At our level, I think everything helps everything.

Going back to the original question - with a half coming up in 2 weeks, watch the taper and don't get hurt. What you have right now is what you're going to race with, and probably one of the worst things you could do would be to cram in a bunch of running and go in fatigued, or worse, injured. Maybe one tough cycling workout and one tough running workout this week, then taper down with easy z1-z2 spins and runs, a couple of scattered rest days, a quick workout the day before, and then race day.

After the half, I would hazard that you'll see the biggest improvements and best return on cycling - go out to nail the bike leg and then aim to run the 10k at your half pace or better. Nobody ever said "I trained too much on the bike."

Personally, my worst discipline is swimming. So long as I eat after swimming, the impact is pretty minimal on the other two disciplines.
2014-03-16 6:15 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Veteran
Illinois
A strange week for me.

Officially at a weight-loss plateau as of Friday (3 weeks at ~182, grumble grumble).
Saw some swim gains (10x100 on 2:20, all the 100's under 2:00, a new PR best), followed up with 8x50 on 1:10, all under 1:00, then went out this morning for a technique workout (sets of free, kick, back, free/back, free/br, kick, IM . . .) and proceeded to just disgust myself. Less than 2,000 yards in an 1:15:00.

Nutrition has been okay, but I need to focus a bit.

Ran SAG today for my cycling group's St. Patrick's day ride, but I missed the club-only ride due to work scheduling (grumble grumble).

Finalized my lodgings for my trip to Boston for Rev3 Quassy.

Finished my taxes and I owe $3k to the IRS, but my wife got a bonus which means (a) the $3k won't come out of the triathlon budget, and (b) I'll probably owe another $3k next year.

Oh, and Friday it was 50 degrees and gorgeous, and Saturday it was 40, and today it's 20 with a windchill of -4.

I'm in a odd place right now. The weather is just dragging and dragging.

Oh, and I finally prepped my road bike - slapped some fat 28mm rubber on it for the crappy potholes that probably won't be fixed until July, which is probably when Lake Michigan will thaw for swimming.

2014-03-16 6:19 PM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon  I'm not certain on this issue. The only real study I could find suggests there is a link: http://running.competitor.com/2013/06/training/sports-science-updat... . N=1, and an elite-level athlete at that, but still a scientific result. Even beyond that, any build of the aerobic engine is going to be beneficial, regardless of source. At our level, I think everything helps everything. Going back to the original question - with a half coming up in 2 weeks, watch the taper and don't get hurt. What you have right now is what you're going to race with, and probably one of the worst things you could do would be to cram in a bunch of running and go in fatigued, or worse, injured. Maybe one tough cycling workout and one tough running workout this week, then taper down with easy z1-z2 spins and runs, a couple of scattered rest days, a quick workout the day before, and then race day. After the half, I would hazard that you'll see the biggest improvements and best return on cycling - go out to nail the bike leg and then aim to run the 10k at your half pace or better. Nobody ever said "I trained too much on the bike." Personally, my worst discipline is swimming. So long as I eat after swimming, the impact is pretty minimal on the other two disciplines.

In this study the athlete did high intensity running which involves muscle endurance. I should clarify that long endurance runs deteriorate cycling performance. 

Take for example a sprinter who has big muscly legs. Sprinting involves power and muscle endurance much in the same way cycling does. Long distance running doesn't require a lot of muscle endurance, it requires only a strong cardiovascular system. Distance running leans the muscle mass in the legs and causes a loss of muscle endurance and strength. This is why marathoners have lean thin little legs. You will lose power output and climbing ability by doing too much long distance running. 

This is the reason why guys like Joe Friel emphasize huge volumes of cycling and moderate running volumes while training for an Ironman. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-03-16 6:23 PM
2014-03-16 6:25 PM

User image

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon
Originally posted by Qua17 BDAAS Weekly Goal Sheet for the week of 3/17/2014 DQ - 1) Track every bite, lose 2 pounds and fit into another pair of pants, 2) MRI on hip 3) Average 40 minutes+ per day of PT 4) Pay for spindles and pedals and look into buying new heart rate monitor 5) Ice like its my job to make the most of my rest week so I can hit it hard next week

Alan -

Do almost nothing this week. This is my recovery week. I'll be doing FT testing on the bike and run but other than that, just a couple of short easy rides and some form work in the pool. I'll also be matching my calorie intake with output (i.e. no weightloss this week). This week is for letting the body recover from the last 3 weeks of hard training and letting it build itself back up. No need to deprive it of much needed nutrition. I'm sitting at 168lbs right now. Down from 182 in January. Abs are starting to show through.. wife is starting to stare.. 

Edited by adempsey10 2014-03-16 6:30 PM
2014-03-17 8:17 AM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Thor: 3 runs/3 bikes/lose weight.

Originally posted by mirthfuldragon
Originally posted by Qua17 BDAAS Weekly Goal Sheet for the week of 3/17/2014 DQ - 1) Track every bite, lose 2 pounds and fit into another pair of pants, 2) MRI on hip 3) Average 40 minutes+ per day of PT 4) Pay for spindles and pedals and look into buying new heart rate monitor 5) Ice like its my job to make the most of my rest week so I can hit it hard next week

2014-03-17 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well finished off the hockey season for my oldtimers  league Saturday, so no more late Sunday games, killing 2 workout days. I have a two tournaments left in April.

Went for a Monday morning run...first one in a lonnnng time!

A Pro-am for Alzhiemers then a fun one in Banff, AB. Both should be a great time! Kevin, you should put a team in the Banff tourney....

http://www.alzheimersfaceoff.ca/

http://www.chehockey.com/mens-hockey-tournaments/banff-cup-mens-hockey-tournaments

Lastly, me an my wife booked a trip to Houston around Easter for 5days. Had some airmiles that needed to be used. Debating whether to rent a bike for a couple of days. Looking forward to some warm weather!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.